Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• odynubyodynuby Member Posts: 7
    Hi car_shopper2.

That's sounds high with no RES or Nav. I just bought my Ody EX-L with RES for $29,610 includes delivery plus TTL from Covington. They were easy to deal with. Look at one of my older post that shows a breakdown of what I paid including TTL.

Good Luck.
  • mosbournemosbourne Member Posts: 11
    That's a great price! I have two quotes for Touring with no PAX of $34,588. My quotes include destination; TTL are extra. My quotes are invoice minus $3,125, so your quote is terrific! What state or city are you in?
  • ssanjussanju Member Posts: 24
    Yesterday Dealer offered $28,500 beofore sales tax,ttl and document fee for 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L with DVD. He may go up to 28,200. But I walked away. ( I am in WI).
  • odynubyodynuby Member Posts: 7
    Is that an EX-L no Nav and no RES? An earlier post showed an OTD price of $29K in Milwaukee, WI .
  • car_shopper2car_shopper2 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the vehicle we are looking at is an EX-L with No Nav and No RES, slate green with olive interior.
    We went to another dealer last night and his negotiated price was $3500 more.
    We are trading in our 05 Chrysler Pacifica Touring, I wonder if that is affecting it at all? The first dealer offered us a trade in of $10,000 (KBB trade in value $11,650) and the second dealer only offered us $6,000.

The first offer break down was
    $29900
    $10000 trade in
    Total of $19900 plus TTL

Second offer
    $29400
    $6000 trade in
    Total $23400 plus TTL

I have heard different things about letting them know you are trading in. Any advice, should you tell them you are trading in or get a price first and then let them know?

Thank you all for your help.
  • sder1sder1 Member Posts: 3
    New 2009 Odyssey EX-L RES & NAV in Northern California Bay Area, price paid was $30,919 (includes $55 doc fee) + tax + title + license. Asked for email quotes from the four dealers in my area that had the color I wanted, plus several more of the larger dealerships that didn't. All negotiations done over email. Ended up buying at Anderson in Palo Alto, because they were the closest dealer that had my color, had the lowest local tax rate, and met my target price quickly with no fuss. Wrapped up the whole thing in an afternoon - about 1 hour worth of email on and off, and 1 hour at the dealer signing papers. Anderson really pushes Honda Care (had to say no over and over, even when taking delivery the next day) but overall very efficient and easy to work with. Best car buying experience ever, and was quite satisfied with the final price. I benefited a lot from the information sharing on this forum - thanks everyone for your contributions!
  • userliteuserlite Member Posts: 16
    Can you please post what was your OTD price. Thanks.
  • ssanjussanju Member Posts: 24
    This includes DVD (EX-l)
  • technoztechnoz Member Posts: 34
    Im in illinois and got quote from spreen honda in cali. You can't beat the extra $500 gas card, and free lo jack.. :) Im still trying to get a better price for touring with NO pax, are around the midwest..trying to beat "Spreen Price $33,295.79 Plus $500 Chevron Gas Card & Free Lojack or Security System" +TTL
    OTD price was $34,229.76
  • lyaolyao Member Posts: 71
    Hi sder1,

What other options did you added to the base price that you'd got?
    Any trade in?
    The price seems high to me though.
    I bought mine in DC Metro early May.
  • ohbobohbob Member Posts: 1
    I have shopped the Columbus dealers for a while - which dealer is this? Seems pretty good to me.
  • rizvimdrizvimd Member Posts: 6
    After much search and time spent online, phone and with dealers, we are planning to pick-up the EXL-R&N OTD 33400.
    This forum helped us a lot in understanding the prices, though I was not able to get the prices mentioned by some of folks.
    Thats a great price! I thought I had a great price; you're $1,300 under my $34,588 quote for Touring w/o pax, and that's before factoring in the $500 gas card.
    Thank You!!! Just called Spreen; their current offer is same price you stated, but with with the Lojack but without the gas card. I asked if I could have the gas card instead of the lojack, and he said yes. Waiting for email confirmation, but once received, will probably drive the 90 minutes we are from their dealership and buy the car. Their price is $1,300 under the best of five quotes I got from SD County dealers - before the value of the gas card. Salesman said they're losing money at this price, which doesn't make sense. But they set the pricing, we don't! Thanks again!!!
  • crawdaddy10crawdaddy10 Member Posts: 9
    Techfu,

Thanks for the great info! Sounds like you did very well. Just wanted to confirm, did yours come with RES or not?

Thanks,
    M
  • green2009green2009 Member Posts: 2
    HI,
    houston area one dealership quoted me $ 33600.00 Drive out price for odyssi ,09, EX_L R&N , Is any body can help me finding a better deal & share their experiences,
    Thanks
    green2009
    Here's the breakdown:

2009 Odyssey EX-L RES & NAV [with no dealer extras]
    Sales price $30864.00
    Doc fee $55.00
    Sales Tax 9.25% $2860.01
    License, reg, etc. $450.75
    Total OTD $34229.76

There was no trade in. Local tax rates are high maybe that's why it seems high? (or maybe I could have done better ....)
  • dofastdofast Member Posts: 6
    Hi, Could you give me more detail information about your price and which dealership? I am looking for exact same car in the same area of NNJ. Thanks.
  • sbblue05sbblue05 Member Posts: 1
    I went to Goodman - West in Houston and got the following deal

29650 EX-L with RES + 850 (dealer options) = 30500
    299 for some leather/paint protection deal that I couldnt get them to remove.
    + TTL

I was able to get the extended warrenty 7year 100k and 5 year tire road hazard for 1599.

I had a trade-in as well. Didnt get as much as I had hoped from my Edmunds estimator but I ended up getting enough to make me happy.

At the end of the day, I guess I could have pushed real hard to get 100-300 off somewhere but I think it was a fair enough deal for me to pull the trigger.

Go talk with Hee Kim there. He treated us real well. Wasn't giving the car away or anything but at least made it a pleasant experience which couldnt be said for some salesmen in the Houston area.
  • bs1bs1 Member Posts: 2
    On May 30th we picked up a Slate Green Honda odyssey EX from Honda of Freehold, NJ for 25995 (OTD) inclusive of all taxes etc.etc. I got the quote over the phone and the vehicle was ready when I visited the dealership. It was hassle free from beginning to end. Everyone involved was very professional and courteous in the dealership.

This forum helped me to understand the actual prices and negotiate with some other dealerships but Honda of Freehold, NJ offered the lowest price.

Thanks to all.
  • oneputzoneputz Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

I found this forum very helpful in buying our new car & wanted to share my experience. We just bought a 2009 EXL-RES Odyssey last weekend (5/31/09) from Larry Hopkins Honda in Sunnyvale. It was a pleasure to work with Thomas Ho their internet/fleet sales rep. The price he quoted me by email was the same price I received when I showed up at the dealership! Their was NO pressure to buy a bunch of options, and I was out of there in 50 minutes with my new car that only had 11 miles it. I have to say it was my best car buying experience ever!

His original quote was $28,700 (including destination) but since it was the last day of the month he quickly accepted my counter offer of $28,450, and this was all done by email. All the other dealers in the Bay Area seamed to price fix and all quoted me $29,300 for the same van.

Here is the breakdown:

EXL-RES (including destination) - $28,450
    Title Fees - $55
    Sales Tax (9.25%) - $2,637
    DMV Registration - $424
    Final OTD price - $31,566

Hope this helps others looking for the same van.
  • darkcherryperldarkcherryperl Member Posts: 1
    First time ODY buyer also. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. We purchased a 2009 EXL (no RES or NAV) yesterday for $27300. It wasn't in NYC, but about 25 minutes north. Price includes destination, but not tax and reg, as these vary from location to location. Got a very good quote through email and tested it throughout the region. It was the best. In the showroom the dealer came down a little more. If you get a quote online, continue to push in the showroom. There are a lot of 2009 EXL's to get off the lot before the 2010 arrive. Didn't purchase any options or accessories.
  • kcatkcat Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2009 Ody EX (white, no extras) for $24,061 + TT&L. The dealer gave me $14,000 for my 2005 Ody EX w/ 56k miles (about $1,600 more than KBB and $2,000 more than CarMax.) So, OTD, the deal was my 2005 EX plus $10,952 financed at 2.9% for 36 months. I'm happy with the deal.
  • kayfabe75kayfabe75 Member Posts: 10
    congrats! you did about $900 better than we did on long island.

what color did you get? the dealer would only come down in price on green or bronze but wife was dead set on bali blue or black.
  • cleverstarcleverstar Member Posts: 23
    After one month driving, I felt I should have gone with the Touring instead of an EX. Chose EX mainly due to budget and compromise of good-enough features. Now I regretted and would have waited for a couple more month to get a Touring... Anyone with same experience and know how to upgrade at a good price?
  • vee927vee927 Member Posts: 11
    hello dofast
    give me you email and i will send you all the info
    or send me email at chor69 yahoo com
  • mrthnmanmrthnman Member Posts: 24
    which dealer did you go to , how did the pickup go ?
    Hi Cleverstar,

Which EX model did you referring to? Did you talk about EXL RN?
    I did not regret for what I bought for my 09 Odyssey EXL DVD/Navi so far.
    This is the best car we'd bought so far. I love it just like my 3rd child!

The Navi is great, it tells you when you turn in advance, ex. 'turn right in the 2nd traffic light or 2nd exit to...', it never dies when detour. The portable GPS is sucks! Sometimes when detour, the portable GPS suddenly stopped for telling directions (only showed on the screen without voicing out directions) esp. when I needed it when driving on the highway and crossing over different states.
    The color I chose: Sterling gray exterior/gray interior.

My kids get their DVD playing and I get my CDs on while driving long distances! The speaker is great! Sometimes, I just feel like I'm sitting in a concert!
    I get to control 3 zone temperatures, esp helpful when I need to lower the rear temp for my sleepy kids while driving or I get too cold while driving/sitting but my hub get too warm sitting in the car. The leather seats are so comfortable.

Few weeks ago, I wish to get the backup sensor for my brand new minivan. Now, I felt lucky by not buying the Touring without PAX after I found out ----> with the backup sensor, you can't use the brush for car washing (it's gonna destroy the sensor). For backup, all you need to do is get use to it. Don't backup too much since the backup camera isn't good for judging distances!

With several $$$$ spending, you get just a few more features than EXL RN. For fog lights, I rarely need them since my vision is still great for now. If there's fog, all I need to do is drive slowly and safely and be alert!

Like always my dad saying, if you have a lot of electronics, there'll be a good chance of getting more repairs later on (my dad is a certified ASE auto mechanics).
    So, the more basic you have, the better you'll save your money!

As a matter of fact, we just went to a VA State Park in Westmoreland. Did take a look at their cabins. After taking a look at the cabins, I told my hub I'd rather stay overnight in our minivan then spending for $150/night for 2 beds/1 bath cabin (outdated kitchen, dirty, no TV, compact spaces, etc). My kids did take a look at the cabin, with <1 minute, they're out of that cabin! They quickly went back to our minivan. You can tell...

It all depends on what you need! ;)
    Hi sder1,

It's not a bad deal though. Possibly, you should ask them for free wheel locks or so. I bought mine for OTD $31880 for EXL RN since VA residents only need to pay 3% tax with free wheel locks & free pinstripes. In addition, I got free lifetime oil changes too. :shades:
  • tpavantpavan Member Posts: 12
    Hi gobuckspn

That's a awesome deal. Which dealer did you go to? Please post breakdown of your prices for everyone. Thanks.
  • cleverstarcleverstar Member Posts: 23
    lyao, what I regretted is that I just bought the naked EX, not even the EXL:(
    So, no roof, no camera, no navi, no dvd, well I don't care about leather...
  • robbtrobbt Member Posts: 3
    I am shopping for a new 2009 Odyssey EX-L W/RES in NJ. I have gone to several dealers via Internet, email and phone. I have the following offer from a dealer that seems pretty attractive but I wanted to ask if anyone has been able to price comparable or better in NJ.

$29,027. includes Destination and All protection package (value 508 list)
    It does not include the standard TTL costs. So I estimate that OTD will be about $31,621.

Also, would it be better to wait util end of the month for dealer target incentives?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Robb
    Oh, poor cleverstar. Sorry to hear that!
    Then, your EX is only basic in fabric.
    Can't help! Try to get a few price quotes from different dealerships and see what's the best deal then. Or, maybe you could wait a bit more for the newest 2010 Odyssey to come out and see, lol.
  • mikecnorthwestmikecnorthwest Member Posts: 11
    Just purchased an LX in cherry pearl for $22,000 minus $1500 trade in on a 99 Voyager (120k miles) for a total of $20,500. This includes dealer installed mudguards and roof rack. The wife wanted the black rubber all season floor mats with the rear cargo tray which added $329 back in and we got the Honda Care warranty 7yr/100k for $1550. Then of course taxes and license for our area. I'm a pretty basic type of guy so the LX fits my needs perfectly. Based on what I've read here, it sounds like it was a pretty fair deal.
  • maritimeguymaritimeguy Member Posts: 2
    I searched around these forums for a few weeks and when the wife and I decided to buy, we did quickly and we were prepared. First let me say thank you to all of those who have taken the time to post their experiences, so here is mine:

Bali Blue, grey leather EXL w/ Navi and RES with sunroof wind deflector, all season cargo mats, and door edge guards.
    32,216 which includes $425 for remote starter
    NY sales tax 2778.63
    Total 34,994.63
    Doc Fee $45
    State Inspection $10
    License and Title $170
    Grand Total 35,219
    Financed through Honda 5 years at 3.9%

I truly think I got a very good and fair deal. I could have gotten the car for maybe a few hundred dollars cheaper, but at the end of the day I felt very comfortable with the people I was working with. I highly advise anyone searching to be careful about destination fee which is now $720 and dealer prep fees which I saw as high as $600. When I took this deal to other dealers, some would not match and the others came in at $1000 cheaper, but were charging me $600 hundred for remote starter, 350-500 deal prep fees and some where even charging destination fee, thats why I think I got a good deal.

I live on Long Island and I used the boys over at Millenium Honda and felt they were just like any other car dealership in that they try and get you to pay full price at first, but felt they were friendly and very knowledgeable, not to mention willing to negotiate!

I even saw my file where it shows how much the dealership was making on the deal, and with the $2500 Honda is giving back, they made $35 bucks including holdbacks. I asked and they "told" me they are a large volume dealership and get paid by Honda for the cars they move, especially during these times, not so much on the actual car.
    Would be happy to answer any and all questions, have a good day.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    You can get a wireless backup camera for under $100.00, GPS portable for 2-300, and portable DVDs for under $200.00. I think you could even have someone do a sun roof for you.
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    I hear you Cleverstar. You have to do the stuff aftermarket now is the only way. If you sell the van you will lose $$$. Find a good place that can install your stuff. The only thing you can't add easily is the VCM engine, power sliding doors, power tailgate(trunk).

I almost bought the EX too! But I priced out everything and the backup camera and other features of the EXL sold it for me. Ended up with EXL R&N. Also, speaking with lyao convinced me too.
    hi maritimeguy,

May I know what's the remote starter fees? Is this the Dest. fees?
    I've never heard this fees in my life before.
  • maritimeguymaritimeguy Member Posts: 2
    You can start your vehicle from inside your house, automaticly sets temp in cabin to either a manual setting for cold or hot or it does it automaticaly depending on temp. Great for the NE in summer and winterm esoecially for the real little ones.
  • gobuckspngobuckspn Member Posts: 4
    Hi tpavan, the dealer is Lindsay Honda, Columbus, OH.
    i'll post breakdown of the price tonight. BTW, they can also offer OTD price of EXL $28,900. Good luck!
  • rock_111rock_111 Member Posts: 1
    hi

i thank you all for great information i got from this forums for last 3-4 weeks.

i was silent follower of this forum for 1 month.

finalized deal 2 days ago for touring 2009 odyssey -Milwaukee ,wI

SALES TAX 5.6 %

OTD - 35000 with remote starter

we wanted balck interior ( leather ) only so we had to go to touring package,

overall happy for the price we got.
    Hi Maritimeguy,

Congrats! Thanks for the info! Wow! So high tech!
    Did not even realize there's a remote starter existing in this planet!
    I guess possibly in 10 years, the car can drive by itself then, huh!
    :P
  • txdadtxdad Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get that quote? I'm in the Houston area and was hoping that the quote was from a Houston area dealer. I appreciate your help in advance.
  • gobuckspngobuckspn Member Posts: 4
    Hello, here is the breakdown of the price,
    $23,332.67
    Doc fee $250
    Tax $1591.83
    Title $25.50
    OTD $25,200
  • b747b747 Member Posts: 10
    I think you got a good deal for EX09. I got lowest quote for EX below

Price: $23,700.00
    Doc fee= $294.75
    New plates/reg= $111
    MA Tax= $1185
    OTD=25291

I will try to get lower price...at least Based price down $23400.
  • morrisonmuzkmorrisonmuzk Member Posts: 5
    I wanted to post here and let you know my pricing, experience, on my purchase of a SX-L, RES & NAV.

Just purchased yesterday...I originally was just looking at the RES, but as the pricing got lower for me, I moved up and got the NAV too...

Using this forum as a starting point (thanks to everyone who took their time to post as it really helped). The wildcard thing was my trade of a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe (KBB trade in price of $1500 & Edmunds TMV price of $3292. I was offered a low of $1400 and a high of $3000 by the 3 dealers that appraised my car.

EXL with RES - $24,410 (includes admin fee of $99, splash guards $149 & $10 title fee)
    EXL with RES & NAV - $26,600 (includes admin fee of $99, splash guards $149 & $10 title fee)

So, I guess if you find the 1/2 way point between the low and the high appraisals on my car of $2200, I think I really was offered, for just the car:

EXL with RES - $26610
    EXL with RES & NAV - $28,800

I visited 3 Honda dealers within 50 miles of my home personally, then used internet to talk with a total of 8 Honda dealers within 500 miles of my home. I have more time than money and was more than willing to drive if the price was right.

Did a lot of emailing, that way their price quote was in writing, then finished up with phone calls. My last phone call before purchase was to my local Honda dealer who I promised to give the last shot to match the price...unfortunately, they were unable to ($170 higher on the EXL with RES, $350 higher on the EXL with RES & NAV). I would have preferred to go local, but can't afford to give $350 extra...they'll get most all of my service business anyway.

I had several offers that were within $10 of each other. I went with the first place who had my preferred color, had also originally offered more for my trade without fussing about it, and was the closest to my house!!! Drove up and made the trade & purchase yesterday.

Financed everything with Honda at 3.9. Due to all the electronics and things, I also purchased Honda Care, 8 yrs or 100,000 miles, bumper to bumper for $1135 with $0 deductable.

I hope this information will help any of you in your purchase.
  • crawdaddy10crawdaddy10 Member Posts: 9
    morrisonmuzk,

Looks like you got a great deal on teh EX-L. What part of the country did you do your shopping?

Thanks,
    M
  • morrisonmuzkmorrisonmuzk Member Posts: 5
    Lincoln, Omaha, Des Moines, Kansas City & Denver...bought in Omaha.
  • khanectionkhanection Member Posts: 20
    Hi morrisonmuzk... Do you know what the actual sale price of your EX-L is? $28K is pretty low (and thus a great deal) but i doubt anyone else would give this deal...