Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Audi A4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ohnims2ohnims2 Member Posts: 31
    When you say less expensive than the corresponding BMW or Mercedes, you might be little bit off there.

BMW's and Mercedes' do have higher sticker prices--so you are right in that sense, but when it comes down to 'prices paid', I didn't find Audi's less expensive due to their stingy discounts.

For example, at the end of the model year, I've seen the dealer giving out about 20% off of the sticker price on a C-class. But for an Audi, I was able to get a mere 5% off a sticker.

Typically, when you walk into get a C-class, the dealers are willing to give you about 10% discount right from the get go.
  • You may be right about C Class transaction prices, but 20% off doesn't happen as easily around here. The BMW 3 series usually commands a bit more than the corresponding C Class as well. The FWD Audi A4 tends to be discounted more than the AWD version is.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I think Audi loses any price advantage, once the buyer decides on leasing... at least in comparison with BMW.. BMW seems to stick more of their incentives on the leasing side (though not as much as in the past).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'd have to agree with you on this matter. Also, when I was doing my research, a 3 series came out little bit cheaper than an A4, due to their better incentives and better financing rates.
    When it came to similarily equipped C-class, the sticker was much higher than the A4. When I looked at a C-class, that was last september when the 2011 models were rolling in, so they were willing to give 20% discount off the sticker price. But even now, I know the dealers are willing to give 15% off the sticker on a 2011 model even before any negotiation.
    Also, Mercedes again offers better fianancing rates too, compared to Audi.
    As of now, I know Mercedes if offering 1.9% for 24-36 months, whereas Audi only has 3.9% for 36 months.
    The reason I decided to get an A4 over the 3 series or the c-class is because
    1)loyalty discount, and
    2)3 series and C-class are getting a facelift for their 2012 model years.
    But yea, Audi definitely loses its price advantage.
    Yes, I have to say too, the 3 series usually does command a bit more than the C-class.

And as for the C class transaction prices, I've seen people getting as much as 25% off when the new model years were rolling in. At other times, I see people get at least 10% and most get at least 15% to 20%.

As for the FWD A4, I don't know the amount of discount, because I haven't seen a single Audi without the AWD on it.
  • hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    Onhims2,

Can you tell me which dealer you got the car from? I am looking to buy pretty much the same car (Premium plus with Nav and B&O) and am in the NYC metro area.

Thanks.
  • hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    I was leaning strongly towards getting the A4 quattro Premium Plus but Audi lease financing completely killed the deal.

The way it turns out, I will be paying about 24k over a 36 month lease period for 10k miles per yr for the Audi. I will be paying 17.5k for the G37x Sports which is comparably equipped. So I would end up paying almost a 40% premium over the lease period for the A4 over the G37x.

Now, personal preferences differ but I would still rate the A4 above the G37. I would probably pay a 10% premium, but 40% is ridiculous and outrageous.
  • guy420manguy420man Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are looking into buying a used wagon/small SUV and the A4 Avants interest me...I am however worried about the size of the interior. We are having a child soon and I am 6"3 so I am concerned that an A4 might be too small...Anyone have any input on my situation, it would be greatly appreciated....Thanks..
  • rwolffrwolff Member Posts: 19
    I'm looking to trade in my 2000 A4 2.8 quattro with 83K miles for a 2009 A4 3.2 quattro premium plus with 19K miles. The dealer has the car listed at $29,888.00. It was a loaner, the carfax is clean as far as any major problems, the windshield washer switch was replaced. I test drove it and it's a beautiful car but was surprised that the interior was not wood trim but the aluminum and no NAV. The dealer is willing to go to $29K and the trade in would be $3500. Car has 2.5 yrs left on the original warranty. No CPO warranty. I'm concerned about the fact that it was a loaner and the miles. Any opinions on whether or not the deal is a good one? I live in the NYC area and made sure the wheels are not 18 or 19". Hope to hear from anyone with good advice.
    I have a 2000 A4 and I'm 6'4" and yes there is adequate room, either that or I'm used to it. The new A4's are longer and have more leg room so that is not a problem. I don't know about the Avant or what year you are thinking of buying. If it's a 2009 and newer you should have no issues with leg room.
  • You will find that most A4s have the aluminum interior trim. The wood package is/was optional on all trim levels. A lot of people seem to prefer the aluminum. There are some really good dash trim kits available if you wnat to add some tree to the car.

Most A4s do not have the nav option either. Even most of the Prestige level cars seem to come without it. 19K miles is a relatively low figure for a 2009. I don't think being a loaner is a strike against it. Those are usually better maintained than even leased cars.

I don't care for the now discontinued 3.2. It is actually a tick slower than the 2.0T and gets worse mileage. However, if you prefere a V6's smoothness, it may be the way to go for you.
    Thanks for the info and opinion. I'm a bit concerned about the oil sludge problems that the turbos have had in the past. I had a 2004 A4 turbo and at 30K had to have the engine replaced due to oil sludge, still under warranty thankfully. Has Audi corrected the problem? If so, would consider the 2.0T. I did test drive one and it was very nice, quieter than the earlier models and smooth.
  • backroadbackroad Member Posts: 12
    Don, please reply with your experience. I am going to be looking soon in the Boston area. Past experience with Framingham Audi was that they weren't interested in bargaining down. Similar experience at Brookline Audi.
  • slee_stackslee_stack Member Posts: 28
    Bought my 2011 Premium Plus A4 FWD for $100 over invoice this weekend. Dealer fee was a rip ($600) but the lowest Audi dealer fee around here is $400. Since they had the EXACT build I wanted (Brown + wood + B&O), I was willing to pay the higher doc fee.

Incidentally, there was no real haggling. The salesman said point blank: 'We realize shoppers know what's out there and where else they can buy. We want to make a few hundred over invoice.' and handed us an accurate Invoice vs MSRP printout.

I'm still new to the whole CVT thing, but it seems OK so far. The only thing I was attracted to on the 'quattro' was the 8-spd tranny. I'm sure it grips better and maybe accelerates better (or not) but at the end of the day , I only require so much power and the FWD moves plenty fast enough for me. Getting an extra mpg and spending 1-2 grand less made more sense for me living in the south.
  • jnyzjnyz Member Posts: 102
    Sounds like a lease and not a purchase.
    No lease. Outright purchase....well a reasonably hefty loan too.

Not sure where you're coming from. High document fee maybe? GA is terrible for doc fees on many makes. Its sad too. If you find someone with a doc fee of $300, you're 'lucky'. Just automatic dealer profit built into every sale I suppose.
    What does the doc fee include? Do you still have a notary fee? I don't really come across a doc fee on a purchase. Doc fees are always present in a lease.
  • ahsanhasanahsanhasan Member Posts: 6
    I live in Englewood and have considered buying from McDonald, what is the maintance program with the A4?
  • ahsanhasanahsanhasan Member Posts: 6
    I just looked at the c class mb and the price is comparable to audi and bmw, it this a good option since the bmw is going to change styling in 2012? there maintance program is different any suggestions. ahsan
    edited February 2011
    Many states (most?) have legal Document Fees that a dealer can add on to a purchase. This covers the cost of doing the paperwork (title, registration, etc.). Obviously, the cost of this administrative task is peanuts ($100 is a generous estimate) and some would rightfully say should be a dealer's 'cost of doing business'. But dealers are dealers....

Some states cap this fee, but not Georgia. $600 is the most common (around Atlanta anyway) I've seen across all vehicle makes. I have seen as low as $300 ($400 at one audi dealer). Its built-in dealer profit, plain and simple. I could have bought out of state and probably shaved those fees, but then I would have had the added transportation and time costs to do that. No win for me.
    edited February 2011
    Have been shopping around for a new used car and it's down to two choices: first is a 2009 Audi A4 3.2L quattro with 19K miles, can get it for $25K with my trade in of 2000 Audi A4 2.8. Car was a loaner for the Audi dealership, excellent shape, fun to drive and noticeably larger than any other A4 I've driven. Original warranty in effect until August 2013. The other is a 2007 BMW 335xi with 15K miles (yes that's right), CPO until Nov 2013. Excellent shape and an incredible engine/torque. Price with trade is $24,500. I'm partial to Audi's since I've had them for a long time but did have a BMW once and tempted to go back for the change. Love to hear opinions. At the moment, leaning toward the 335xi
    Unless you really love the exhaust note and dual exhaust on the 3.2, try to find a 2.0T quattro with similar options/packages installed instead. The 2.0T is both faster and more fuel efficient than the 3.2.

As to BMW vs Audi, if you want noticeably more performance, get the 335. If you want more 'luxury', go with the Audi.

I've accepted that I'm not a street racer or auto crosser and rarely ever 'floor' the throttle in any car. Feature for feature then, Audis make more sense for ME.

You need to determine what makes sense for YOUR driving style.
  • jmb15jmb15 Member Posts: 1
    My mom's 36mo lease is up. 2008 A4 2.0 Quattro, Auto. Residual is $19,442. She only put 11k miles on it....

Note sure I really want the car, but if its a great deal. maybe I should? Thoughts?

-jb
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Looks like a good deal, but only if you need a car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mcwenzelmcwenzel Member Posts: 37
    Good luck. When I tried to sell my Audi off lease they would only honor the residual price if I bought it. They would not honor that price if I traded it in or wanted to sell to a third party. In each of those cases they wanted to charge more than the residual because the car was low on milage.

I had to buy the car and sell to a third party, but it was complicated due to sales tax issues. I had to purchase it and get title and turn the transaction with the third party within ten days I believe. Huge hassle.

This was in California.
  • 3177one3177one Member Posts: 2
    I was just offered $34,800 OTD for a Black A4 with the Premium Plus package and exhaust tips (no other options). Good deal.. yes/no? Trying to see if I can get the Audi Care package thrown in as well.
  • regimattregimatt Member Posts: 9
    Are u buying or leasing it ,if leasing how much down input and monthly how much ur paying ,better to get the Audi care package u don have to worry for 3 years if ur on a lease .it's a good deal does it come along with a navi and bang and olufsen
  • 3177one3177one Member Posts: 2
    Purchasing, 10k down. No just the premium package + exhaust tips.
  • mrlockemrlocke Member Posts: 1
    Which dealer in SoCal? I'm going to look this weekend, will post my results.
  • trini1980trini1980 Member Posts: 1
    Which dealership was it exactly? is there an invoice# or quote# I can reference?
    Interested in the same car.

thanks.
  • wirelesswireless Member Posts: 47
    Does the CVT shift gears?
  • applejack777applejack777 Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping for an 2011 Audi A4 Prestige, with:

19 Inch Sport Pkg
    Audi Side Assist
    Nutmeg Trim
    Exhaust Trim
    Destination charge $875

for a MSRP of $46880.00

I am being offered the following:

Price of 44,500 + 800 Audi Care.....

15K miles per year - $794.00 with a residual 46% 39 month lease $1500 Out of Pocket
    15K miles per year - $794.00 with a residual 43% 42 month lease $1500 Out of Pocket

12K miles per year - $770.00 with a residual 48% 39 month lease $1500 Out of Pocket
    12K miles per year - $772.00 with a residual 45% 42 month lease $1500 Out of Pocket

I am being told that Money Factor for 39 month lease is .172 and for 42 month is .192 (I assume they are leaving off zeros)

I am also being told that for every $1000 I put down, it would lower my monthly payment by $26.00.

How badly am I being taken advantage here and any ideas on what I should tell them the selling price of the car should be, etc... I sure appreciate the help! Be blessed
  • lordmaul519lordmaul519 Member Posts: 10
    Worked with David from Penske Audi in West Covina over the weekend. He took the time to show me all the various options and made sure that I got what I wanted. Overall, a very good sales experience. Highly recommended!
  • glex1glex1 Member Posts: 76
    Trying to get deal feedback for the Audi A4 in PA. What are people paying, what's the best finance rate right now? Any feedback is appreciated. The car is an A4 with Prem Plus Nav and 19 inch rims.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings glex1. Audi is currently offering 0.9% financing for up to 36 months, 1.4% for 48 months, or 1.9% for 60 months on the 2011 A4.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • digledigle Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy a 2012 Audi A4 premium package with nav. I'm being told that the invoice is about $40,300. Prices for 2012 are suppose to be the same as for the 2011. Can anyone share what their pricing was in Ct.? I keep getting different stories and just don't want to feel taken.
  • kingston6kingston6 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Hi, all,

I am in the market for a 2011 A4 with premium package. one dealer give me am offer for 35000 otd. the one i looked got bluetooth and music interface. i remember the MSRP was about 34500 and invoice price about 32500. is it a good deal? i didnt pull the trigger, thought i saw a lot people in this forum got less than invoice+500for otd price. it seems extremely difficult for me to get such deal. any advice is appreciated. thx. i am in south cal.
  • sjiangsjiang Member Posts: 5
    Hi i am in the middle of buying a A4 between 2011 -2012..i just dont know when they will release the date..do you have any idea they will release 2012 maybe? I am in the California MSRP price was 40700 with premium and sport but no Navigation.i only can get 2000 cheaper..
  • keptnamekeptname Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2011
    Hi all-

Looking to buy a 2011 A4 quattro with it all! Prestige package.

I offered $40,000, dealer came down to $42,000. I've never purchased a car in this class before, so I am not sure if its a good deal. Should I hold out or take the 42?

I'm in Missouri.

Thanks!
    Ask to see the invoice or look up invoice price on this site and offer him 100 over. then nego from there. it is the end of the model year so 500 over would be to much.
    Thanks jnyz. That is pretty much what I tried. I figured he would come to 41,000, but instead the manager came in to explain how they just can do any more than that blah blah blah.

I emailed the sales guy to see if he still wants to try to counter offer later in the month I'd be willing to listen.
  • millenia98millenia98 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2011
    Right now, I’m doing my research for leasing an A4. So, as of now, I’m a walking target (and I hate that I am). We are looking to lease a 2011 Audi A4 premium plus for 36 months (10K miles). Credit score is 710.

In the research I’ve done, the advice I’ve received is to contact 6 local and non-local dealers and ask them for a price on buying an Audi. Then, negotiate with the dealer that gave me the lowest invoice price. THEN tell them I want to lease based on the negotiated price?

Is all of this correct for starters?

Also – as a side note – a few dealers have replied and it seems they are avoiding emailing me quotes. They’re all asking me to come in (of course, to try and sell me) – BUT we’re not wasting time and visiting 6 different dealers only to ask for quote. We have also already test driven the A4 and would prefer to have in-person contact only with the dealer giving the best deal.

Any other help would be greatly appreciate.
    I can't comment on lease negotiating procedures, but I have had the same problem with internet sales. When I dealt with Toyota about 6 years ago, I did all negotiating online.

Thus far, acura, VW and audi have all insisted that I come in to talk pricing. Its very frustrating.
    Thanks for the info! This helps. I will try and keep doing my negotiations online and then meet in person with the lowest two dealers
  • utexas06utexas06 Member Posts: 55
    I saw a 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige at a pre-owned auto wholesale dealer. It has 19,300 miles. Color is Phantom Black Pearl w/ black leather interior. Carfax vehicle history report is clean. They're asking $25,900. Should I even think twice about this deal? Sounds like a steal to me. Just need to test drive it.
    I received a quote from Audi to buy an A4 2.0 Quattro:

Premium Plus with Navigation, Winter mats and trunk liner, Brilliant Black with Black Interior.

They gave me a selling price of $39,589 plus tax and MV fees. The Audi Care is $800 additional.

What are MV fees? What other things do I need to know? I know this is not a full quote
  • digledigle Member Posts: 2
    MV are the motor vehicle fees.That is a good price I assume it is a 2011.
  • utexas06utexas06 Member Posts: 55
    There's a price error on the car and it's actually $27,900 which is still a great deal. Hopefully I can knock off a grand with negotiating. What do you all think?
    Well, dealer has now come to $42,096 on a 2011 metallic black Audi A4 (quattro 8-speed automatic) with prestige package.

I am trying to get them to give me $11,000 on my '06 toyota matrix. Otherwise will sell.

The 42,096 sound good??
  • antman05antman05 Member Posts: 2
    Need advice from my fellow audi owners. Here's my situation.

Just purchased a 2011 A4 Premium. MSRP of $34,400 from an Audi dealer in California. After 2 weeks of negotiating, they dropped my price down to $30,450 with a 60 month buy interest rate of 1.9%. My monthly payment is $410 and change with $10k down. Out the door with tax and license it was $33,500.

They tried to rip me off on GAP and Audi Care (They wanted $1700 bux for it at first. LOL) and all that other nonsense the financials guy tries to sell you at the end. Didn't work!

Anyways, today the financials guy calls me and leaves me a voicemail saying that I have to go back and resign the contract to include a $1500 rebate. They say that Nothing in the numbers for me is going to change. This is strictly for the dealer. (I had mentioned that we leased an audi two years back for a cousin when I was buying the car). Is this the loyalty rebate? Are they trying to include this in there and get paid on it? My gut is telling me something fishy is going on. Can anyone share some insight into this?