Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Audi A4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• john560john560 Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 2011 Audi A4 - Pre Certified. Has about 3.5 yrs of factory warranty left, plus the extended warranty. The model is Premium Plus with nav, b&o, wood trim. It has about 9,000 miles on it. Including all charges like shipping, doc fee, etc I got a final price of 38K...no more no less...was this a good deal or was I duped.

Experts, please comment.

Cheers,
    John
    The dealer is also providing me with list of other options that cost extra bucks. This is already a CPO as listed above. Should I opt for any of these?

1. Audi Care - $800 (I am inclined to buy only this)
    2. GAP - ( Is this already included with the CPO warranty)
    3. Ibex Surface Protection System
    4. LoJack
    5. Tire & Wheel plan
    6. Scotchguard paint protection film
    7. Paintless Dent Repair
    8. Key replacement plan
    9. Windshield plan

Please advise, the only one I feel buying is the Audi Care. Is it worth it?

Regards,
    John
  • jnyzjnyz Member Posts: 102
    That car new was about 40-41k, so you are get about 3k off because of the miles. Not a bad deal but not a great one either.
    Audi care is for those who can not change their own oil or do not have a local shop who can do it at a reasonable price. Oil for that car is about 10 bucks a quart and you need slightly less than 5. Everything else in that package is basic and can be done by a local mechanic. The only other thing I would consider is the wheel plan but that is very debatable. The insurance company will only repair the rim if there is damage and that only costs about 50 bucks to do anyway and for the tires, they will only cover damage if you are moving forward when the damage occurs. They have some outs. I would say no to the extras. The stealers don't offer good deals. The are in the biz to make money.
  • buzzy8buzzy8 Member Posts: 31
    I know it is a different class car but we are trying to decide between the new 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0 T and the 2012 Audi A4. The Sonata has everything included for about 30K. We have a dealership near us and the warranty is unbeatable. The only con is the road noise and an issue with a left pull that seems to be resolved based on the assembly location.

But I love the Audi A4. In order to buy the navigation, I would be spending about $10,000 more than the Sonata. The cons would be dealer about 30 miles away, less of a warranty, the horsepower is less (274(Sonata) vs 211 (Audi) and the future lifetime repair cost of the Audi vs the Sonata.

For those of you with an A4....can you help with my decision? I also did see the 2013 has been released and looks pretty sweet!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,790
    Audi Care only...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• buzzy8buzzy8 Member Posts: 31
    Oh and one more pro on the Sonata side is a few more mpg on hwy. thanks to those of you who could give your opinion ...
  • drjoeddrjoed Member Posts: 26
    Personally I always buy the Audi Care but you will find that the price is actually negotiable and you ought to get it for $400 - $500. Good synthetic oil is $5 or $6 a quart at Walmart but do you really want to do this yourself? Also, maintenance is not just about oil changes: lots of other maintenance and checks especially on a turbo! If you do not follow maintenance guidelines Audi may void your warranty. (This happened to my daughter not long ago with her Hyundai) At least one of the scheduled maintenance times on my A4 is like $400 from what they tell me!

Not sure what you mean by "GAP". Is this GAP insurance?? In the event of a total loss, GAP insurance pays off the loan (or lease) if the value of the car is less than the amount owed. Might be worthwhile if it is cheap!
    --> Thank you jnyz for confirming, I know the deal doesnt seems to be great/bad, but it has everything I wanted in my audi. Had been in the market searching for the last 7-8 months.

--> Jynz, the wheel plan is being quoted as $575. Is it worth it?

--> kyfdx & drjoed, thank you, yes I plan on taking Audi care only from that list. About GAP insurance, that was striked off my list, so I am under the assumption that it is covered/included as this is a CPO? Is my understanding correct? I will confirm this with the dealer as well. If not i will have to add that.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Cheers,
    John
  • shplintzshplintz Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i was wondering if i could get some help. I am shopping for a car for my son. He has a budget of 15,000 dollars, so he has been looking around the internet. He found out he could get an an Audi, 2005-2006. I was just wondering if this would be a good choice, i have read online that they have a lot of mechanical and technical issues and spend a lot of time in the shop. I do not think that it would be the best choice for him (if that is how it really is). Please help and include any imput!! Thanks in advance!
    You are asking those questions in the prices paid buying experiences?
    Wheel plan for 575 might be for only 36 months. I would say "no."

I will check out the scheduled maintenance in my book tomorrow but I don't think anything is too complicated up to 60,000. What service intervals does it cover up to. If you plan on taking your car to the stealership for maintenance than it is worth it but you should be able to bet it done for less tan 800.
    You might try posting here: Best Car for a new teenage driver

Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The dealer said they have no margin on it, $800 is what every dealer offers for. They said i can get it elsewhere if its cheaper, but said it will not be. It covers the scheduled maintenance at 15k, 25k, 35k upto 45k. Having spend so much on the car, I do plan on taking it to the dealership (rather stealership :-) for maintenance.

They advised me not to go for GAP as it would not really help. GAP was being priced at $600.

Question: I was planning on asking the dealership to install a remote starter for free before they ship out the vehicle. Do I stand a chance? With these cold winters, a remote starter would definitely help. Please advise if this would cause any other electrical issues in the car.

Regards,
    John
    The cheapest I've seen Audi Care go for was 700.00. Audi Care was just not for me. I can do oil changes myself and the only other items are checking fluids, fluid change in trans, gearbox, air filter. The price of 800 is not bad but not great. It use to come with the car. Another problem is who is to say the tech working on the car actually does the work.

I am not sure of the remote starter. I would suggest going over to the Audizine.com site and post the question on the B8 board. The 2012 Audi is a B8.

Quick story. Over a friends house one evening when his father came home. He was a tech at a BMW dealership. My buddy says "have a good day pop?" pop replies, "everyday is a good day when you can get paid for doing nothing." My buddy explained it to me later on. Dealerships make a lot of money different ways. Salesman make it a lot of ways. When I was a kid selling the best way was selling CPO and used. The car would have a tag on it for say 30k, the dealer would inform the salesman he wanted 26,500 for the car and our commission would be 50% of every dollar over 26.5k. S o if you sold that car for 29,500 your commission would be $1500.00. Not bad for a kid on summer break.
  • mrkrabsmrkrabs Member Posts: 5
    Premium Plus + Rear Side airbags, B&O sound, Audi advanced key MSRP: $41,525.

Dealer says invoice is $38,870 and after a short negotiation they want $700 over that.
    They are adding $250 documentation fee, temp. $56 registration fee and state tax. I'll be leasing this vehicle and Audi has first month payment covered.

The sales guy is asking to make him an offer. I am considering asking for Audi care and get to discount the $700 over-invoice further.

What would you guys consider a good deal in this scenario (that is also fair to the dealership) and what should I counter offer from here? Thanks.
    Did you figure out the invoice price for yourself? If not you need to do that first. Do you intend to buy the car after the lease expires? If not, why do you need Audi Care? 700 over invoice is not a great deal. 200 over is a fair deal for both sides. Paying over invoice is just one way a dealer makes a profit on a car, there are many others so don't be shy asking him to sell it at invoice. Just tell him he's making a profit on the holdback.
    edited December 2011
    hey jnyz, thanks for the info.

No, I did not figure out invoice price, I took the sales guys word for it. How would I figure it out for myself?

No, I do not intend to purchase the car at this time but reading other posts I thought it was still a good deal to do so.

According to Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/) Audi has no dealer holdback. Is this true?

Also, according to Edmunds True Value site, invoice price is $38,680 (vs 38,870 I was told), so fairly close.
    Audi just might not call it holdback. Holdback comes from the Ford/GM. You did it correct by getting the invoice from Edmunds. Ask the dealer where is the 190 difference. I would offer invoice and take out that doc fee and see what they say. If you are not planning on keeping the car there is no reason to get Audi Care. Just get your oil changed every ten thousand and be done with it. A lot cheaper then spending and additional 10k. If you get it for 200 over you did well. What is the Money factor and residual they gave you?
    edited December 2011
    Great info, thanks!
    .00133 / 55% residual at 15k miles/y and 36 mo term. If my math is correct that's 3.19% interest. Is that awful? I think their purchase rate is 1.9%. btw I have fico score in high 700's, so "excellent" credit.

They are also adding some $675 (cannot remember what he called that fee) to come up with final lease figures. I surely need to get more detailed info on lease calculations as he kept saying (over the phone) he was not sure on all details of the lease figures. I gave him benefit of the doubt but will call and see if he can get all details for me.

It is going to be a custom order car (~90 days, not off the lot) as I am asking for options that they don't have. Does that make a huge difference for them as far as deals go? Would it be better to strike a deal before January or after? I mean how desperate are the dealers for sales at the year end?
    So I just found out that the add on fees are probably these:

Port inspection fee $195.00
    Documentation fee $250.00
    Temp reg. Title $56
    Unknown fees $495.00 (I estimated based on lease quotes - think these are ad fees)

Only "legitimate" fee I see here is the Temp reg. Title fee as it is mandated by state. All the rest sounds to me like the way to make more money while advertising price cheaper - this I think is not being upfront and fair.

So, I am thinking of either agreeing to pay $700 over invoice if they remove the $940 in the above fees, or ask them to sell me at an invoice cost. The salesman told me that Audi adds the "Port inspection fee" and that's not something they add - can this be true? Surely they make money on that.

According to http://www.truecar.com if I pay 0 over invoice, the dealer still makes $910 on the sale. So I am thinking of making this as my offer and also ask them to throw in Audi Care as many forum threads recommended it even for lease (15k lease plus it adds 1 point to residual). Does this sound fair? Good Deal? Unrealistic?
    The mf and residual sound correct. As far as port fee? Never heard of it. Maybe someone else will chime in. The tag fee is legit and some if not all pay a doc fee of around 200. Some pay more but everything is neg. Do the math and see if you will save money by getting audicare. I wouldn't get it. You should get real good deal since you are ordering the car and the dealer doesn't have to pay interest on the car sitting in the lot. Your offer of 700 over which includes all fees sounds fair. Ordering the car at the end of the month or in Jan doesn't matter since it will only count as a sale once the car is delivered.

Check out www.audizine.com for more info. Look under B8 a4 forum since that is the car you are buying. If you can afford it I would get a s4.
  • chiquitachiquita Member Posts: 18
    i would not agree to any fees but designation fee, acquisition fee(bank fee), and if you purchase audi care, and state licensing. all others- no, period. i just did the same and purchased at invoice. you have competition down the road. never forget to walk.
    Thanks Chiquita,

Apparently the dealer figured in an Acquisition Fee of $695.00. Is everyone paying that? Seems like a very unreasonably high fee. Has anyone managed to waive that?

So far on top of the invoice price I agreed to pay:
    Destination fee of $875.00
    Documentation fee $250.00
    Reg fee

I'm thinking of asking to throw in Audi care with it. What do yo guys think? The Acquisition Fee leaves a very bad taste indeed.
    Most quoted invoice prices on the web include destination, already... So, make sure you aren't paying twice, if your goal is to pay invoice...

Virtually all leases include an acquistion fee.... the bank gets that... I'm not positive what Audi's base fee is, but $695 has to be pretty close..

Is this deal in Ohio?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fisher54188fisher54188 Member Posts: 25
    I saw many of the members suggest ask for invoice for an A4. Does this include Audi Loyalty or I should ask for invoice then minus $1000 loyalty?

Thanks in advance,

:cry:
  • michael_badleymichael_badley Member Posts: 1
    I have my eye on a '12 A4 quattro Premium with style/convenience packages and heated seats, with a couple smaller options.

The dealer's price is $37,055. Edmunds' TMV is $37,206 -- more than the list price, you'll notice -- to go along with a $36,386-or-less "great price" from TrueCar and a $36,233 target price from ZAG. The invoice prices, according to these websites, also are inconsistent: Edmunds and ZAG list the invoice at $35,733, and TrueCar lists the dealer cost at $36,115.

So I'm a little confused as I begin negotiations. I would obviously like to buy the car for as little as possible, while also being fair to the dealer and not offering an unreasonable amount. My thought is to offer $36,233 OTD, which according to ZAG is $500 more than invoice, or offering $36,733 OTD with Audi Care thrown in. That would essentially get Audi Care for $500. I wouldn't qualify for loyalty incentives or any of that.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I go lower and just offer the damn invoice price? Less? What's got me confused most, I think, is that there's really not that much distance between the invoice and the dealer's list price -- something like $700-800, depending on the valuation service. I guess I'm a little surprised the dealer priced this car so close to invoice, and it makes me wonder that, with this price, maybe the dealer would be willing to go below invoice if list price assumes (or presumably assumes) there's some wiggle room.

Many thanks for the help. Looking forward to joining the Audi family.
    I think you are adding something when you are building the car on Edmunds and Zag. Ask the dealer to email you the build sheet and go from there. I think you are adding the wheel option. When you're figuring out the price, the MSRP should match the build sheet or window sticker exactly. There should be around a 3k difference in MSRP and invoice. Remember the stealership does not pay invoice for the car. They pay less. I would offer less than invoice and not opt for Audi Care.
  • sterling5sterling5 Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if you could give me some advice please? Looking to buy '09 A4 Avant Prem. with 22,300 miles. We'd be trading in my wife's '02 Honda Civic, auto, moon roof, spoiler, and it's clean with 112,000 miles. The stealer's asking $31,995 for the A4 wagon; what should I be trying to get for the civic and what should I shoot for on the A4? I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
  • usrinivasusrinivas Member Posts: 7
    We are planning to buy 2012 auto A4 with quattro with conveince packag, front heated seat . In Phat black and black interior. If any one got A4, please provide your experience.
  • tsfanboytsfanboy Member Posts: 3
    first post, first time buying an Audi. looking for experts' opinions. current deal with dealer is for 2012 A4 Premium Black on Black with convenience and style packages, heated seats, splash guards, wheel locks, and all weather mats with trunk liner. Offer is $37,150 including tax and registration/title. Advertising, dealer prep and dealer doc fees were waived. Could I have pushed for much lower? Also considering adding the Audi Care. Opinions on that are hot or cold.
    Depends what the sticker price is?
    sticker price is $38,345 but that doesn't include the mats & liner which is another $250. so technically it's $38,595.
    Also forgot to mention it's a quattro.
  • sarora529sarora529 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a offered $38,690 for a A4 - Quattro - Premium Plus in Monsoon Gray with Advanced Key and Mats. MSRP $41,090. $2,400 off MSRP. Also got financing at 2.5% for 60 months. Hope thats a good deal.

P.S. PNC has a cool Auto Loan program. I used it for comparison and the dealership matched it.
  • jpocherjpocher Member Posts: 2
    Best price from dealer is $41500. Kbb has fair market value of $44500 or thereabouts.
    I guess my question is, how accurate really is kbb?
  • grimssgrimss Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    Just sharing our May FLA price paid in case it's helpful to others negotiating. 2012 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige Plus, Monsoon Gray exterior, black interior, MSRP: $40,800 (extras were metallic color and Audi key). Cash price: $37,259.27, minus $1,000 "new car owner appreciation" incentive, equalling $36,259.27 before taxes, etc. Paid additional $699 dealer prep/profit (ugh, but DH did get half off Audi Care--not sure that's worth it), but not any advertising fees, which we'd read were hard to get rid of. I'm sure we could have pushed harder by waiting until the end of the month, but being able to get everything negotiated via email was worth not having to haggle at the dealership.

I had not been aware of any incentives for new non-Audi-driving car owners (we traded in a Lexus), but have since found the following on line (don't know how long it lasts):

New Owner Appreciation Incentive:
    - 2012 A4/S4 Sedan* - $1,000
    - 2012 A6 Sedan - $1,500
    - 2012 A8 and A8L** - $2,500

*Excludes Avant. **Includes W12. Only applicable to you or a household member who currently owns the following 2001 or newer: Acura, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Saab, or Volvo Lease Owners. Proof of ownership is required. Lease Loyalty Bonus varies per model. Tax, title, license and dealer fees extra. Rebate to dealer. With approved Lease/Purchase through Audi Financial Services. This program may be combined with all other retail incentives and AFS special lease rates,
  • stanmurstanmur Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at this CPO 6000 miles AWD, 2012, premium with conv package, style package with dealer quoting 35.5k+TTR. Looking for finance.

What would be a great deal on this for me to make him an offer?

Thanks
    Here's what we were offered this past Saturday on essentially the same car, except this one had the extra 18" wheels and did NOT have 6,000 miles already on it. (We ended up buying a Quattro with the PP package instead.)

2012 White A4 Quattro with Convenience, Style pkgs
    MSRP: $38,375.00 (includes $800 for upgrade wheels)
    Discount: $3,524.82
    New Owner Appreciation Incentive: $1000.00
    Adjusted Sale Price: $33,850.18

Invoice on the car you describe, assuming it doesn't have anything extra (metaillic paint, special key, etc) would be $34,132, with the dealer paying less than that, of course. Given that this car already has 6,000 miles on it that you didn't put there, you should certainly get it for less (remember, 1/6th of the original warranty is gone, so if you drive it 12K miles a year, you're on hook for any repairs after 2 1/2 years). I've read that a rule-of-thumb discount for these miles is 25 cents to 30 cents per mile--$1,500 to $1,800 on a car driven 6,000 miles.

As for leasing, we didn't go that route. The dealer really wanted us to do a single-pay lease, which we didn't want to touch. But in case it's helpful for you, here are the terms he quoted us (in FLA). Others can chime in, but the m.f. seems really high:

36 Month single-pay Lease, 10k Miles Per Year
    55% Residual
    0.00070 Money Factor

Hope this helps!
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for your post.

The dealer showed the original sticker and it had price of 38,500 for original buyer. I am seeing Edmund's TMV for new as 36,406 and invoice 35,500 for very same package. The car is phantom black, style and convenience pkg added.

So you saying anything below 32k is good deal? With bit of negotiation he is at 33,500. Going for used just to save 1500 doesn't excite me. I was thinking of closing the deal if he comes down to 31k (stretching myself and car is listing for over 7 weeks.). Does first time buyer incentive apply to CPO?

You seem to have got a very good deal and I should probably consider new. :)
    Consumer Reports' Best Car Deals Plus subscription service puts the "bottom line" price a dealer would accept for this 2012 car (not including your additional options, and minus the extra miles) at $32,206. With your extras (but not reflecting a depreciation amount for the 6,000 miles), the bottom line price might be something closer to $34K. So . . . if you got him down below $32K for this "lightly used" model, I'd say that was a very good deal. If he cries poor, you should remind him that he's still making a profit with all the below-the-line money Audi offers him. Indeed, given that this is probably a low-traffic time at the dealership (this month ends on a Thursday after a big holiday), he may be super eager to make a deal to meet some monthly sales goal that nets him a big bonus. Hard to know . . .

Given the instaneous depreciation hit that a brand new Audi will take as soon as you drive it off the lot, it certainly makes sense to consider a demo car. That said, I'd still want to know how those 6,000 miles were put on the vehicle. Did the dealer's daughter drive it? Was it a service loaner that had a 100 different drivers treating it a like a rental car? Worse, was it returned by the original owner because they thought it was a dog? These are all the same questions we asked when we were looking at a similar deal this past weekend.

As long as you're comfortable with the car's history, you may be able to scoop up a real bargain. If you don't get the price you want, walk--you can always get a new Audi, after all. With any luck, the dealer will call you tomorrow, desperate to meet a monthly sales goal and willing to lose money on you to do it.

Good luck!
    I was thinking in similar lines cos it is holiday month end and the leverage of days in inventory. I will probably sit and wait for him to call hope it pays else will pass on this. Will not regret too much since 2013 has started shipping, it has to get cheaper to buy new.

We did ask about the 6k miles, he said the previous owner (originally sold in Dec '11) was called back and was offered a new audi for same payments, and it is quiet normal he said. It was not so clear to me but did not feel so important then as the carfax was clean. Carfax says "Registered as personal lease vehicle Loan or lien reported" so there was a buyer on loan/lease and not used as courtesy car. Excuse me for my lack of knowledge.

As far as any issues, he said if there were any, the CPO certifies the car and there is the original warranty to take care. Dont know if I should go out asking if they found any issues during certification process. Reading through the points you brought up, now I feel I should have dug more.

Thanks a lot!!
  • joyride007joyride007 Member Posts: 2
    I found a 2012 A4 Black/Black with Nav, Sport package and rear parking sensors. MSRP $43075. I wanted it with the advanced key but at this time of the year thats too much to ask. My research as shown me that the invoice price is $40527 and dealer cost is $40205. I do qualify for the $1500 conquest rebate but what would be a starting offer I should give the dealer? I was thinking something around $38K and hope to agree on $39000 or 39500. Are the deals as good as people think at this time of the year? If I can't get a steal on this car, I might as wait until I can just custom order a 2013 model. Thanks!
  • escortownerescortowner Member Posts: 132
    So I just took delivery of one of the new 2013 Audi A4's and I have to say - what a value when entering this level of car. They have upgraded so many little things on the 2013 model including Google Maps with Traffic, and a hot spot. The leather seats are clearly superior to the leather used in previous models and the 8-speed auto is very smooth.

If you want the handling - pay a little extra for the sports package. with a lower front end, paddle shifters and upgraded seats, its clearly worth an additional $700 if you like nice handling.

A similarly equipped BMW would cost another $6k when you start adding the options. In my case, I was able to get one of the first cars available and not only is it beautiful, but to negotiate invoice pricing was great.

I have seen many saying they don't like the new lights, but personally, I like them more because they are a little cleaner looking and it lets you know that the car has been refreshed from 2009.

I will say, it would have been sweet if they had added another 20 HP, but I prefer the performance combination of the Quattro and the current engine over the new BMW 4-cyl for sure.
  • backroadbackroad Member Posts: 12
    escortowner, could you comment on the pricing on your new 2013? Are incentives offered for current owners on the '13? Also, is it true that the light birch wood trim is discontinued? Not sure if you purchased or leased, but any source on the MF and residuals for the new 2013 (P, PP or Prestige sedan @12K/y)
  • brahmjotbrahmjot Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    Hi All,

I am considering buying a 2009 CPO A4 from a dealership. It is the premium (base) model and FWD (not quattro).
    The car has 35000 miles on it.

Dealer is quoting 27000+taxes = $30000. Is this a good deal to get into for a CPO car?

I am not great at numbers. If someone could help me out with this, it would be so great!!

Thanks in advance..
    edited June 2012
    Doesn't really sound like a good deal. Seems like the car just came off a lease and the buyout should be around 19k or less. That car new sold for around 34k and it is now close to 4 model years later and not a quatto. I really don't see the purpose of purchasing a non quatto car. Kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing an Audi. The more I think about it 20 would sound fair. Good luck and offer 18k there won't be a lot of people banging the door down for that car. Edmunds values the car at 19k. You can find better deals and Im not say that's a deal.
    Hard to tell without knowing your sales tax. Just list dealer price and msrp.
  • brahmjotbrahmjot Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    Sorry I got it wrong.. It is a quattro model and it is a CPO. So, is something around 29-30K a fair price?
    Sales tax in Bellevue/Seattle is 9.8%
  • funcar2012funcar2012 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Joyride

I test drove 2012 yesterday, with similar MSRP $44K with the nav, b&o sound, Sline.. very nice... I just started looking at the A4 so 2012-2013 almost looks the same to me, sales guy right away offering $2600 off , at this point its better to go for the 2013, I am interested to know if you tried offering $38-39K on your deal...