Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Audi A4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• helpmefindacarhelpmefindacar Member Posts: 14
    Hi! My daughter is looking for her first car. We found a 2001 Audi A4 with 61,000 miles for $11,900. What do you think of that?

Are Audi A4 Parts a lot more expensive than Toyota parts,etc if something happens with the car?

Thanks
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Just my humble opinion, but I wouldn't buy my 21 year old daughter an out-of-warranty Audi A4. I've had two Audis and loved them both but I sold them as soon as the warranty was up.

Parts are expensive, labor is expensive, and most Audis need lots of both. When my 20 y.o. daughter needed a new car in February, I bit the bullet and bought her an 07 Pontiac G6: $600 out of pocket and $250/month for 60 months (out the door with TTL). It's not as flashy as the A4, but I don't have to worry about her calling in the middle of the night for a ride or a loan to fix her car.

If you don't like domestics, you could get a heck of a nice used Camry or Accord and get the same piece of mind.
  • zmpzmp Member Posts: 24
    Hi there, first of all thanks for backing me up. I never expected to recieve a reply like that one, but hopefully it won't happen again.

I decided to buy a 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro instead. I really liked the 2004 I mentioned before, but the fact it was not a pre-owned certified car was bugging me a little.

My new car had only 11 miles when I bought it. I test drove a different one (same model) and the performance, response and no turbo lag was what made me buy that car. However, after they brought my car from the warehouse (I wanted a black one) and drove it home, I immediately noticed the huge turbo lag, no low end torque at all and engine noise. It was nothing compared to the one I test drove. It feels more like driving a VW 2.5. I took it back yesterday to the service dept., they inspected it again and said all was fine. That it was because of the break-in period and they assured it would feel just like the car I test drove in a few hundred miles. Do you think my car performance will improve after the break-in period? The test drive car had 70 miles on it, so I expected my car to perform the same way, that's why I didn't test drive it before buying it...my bad, I guess :(

Thanks so much.
  • alex320alex320 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a new 2007 A4 4dr CVT w/premium package yesterday and here's the deal I got:

Purchase Price: $26,800
    OTD Price: $29,150

The guy at the dealership said Audi is giving them incentives to move the A4's, so that's why I actually got it below invoice. Just thought I'd share the knowledge, this board was helpful to me in my new car search so I'm giving back.
  • smogilsmogil Member Posts: 40
    Hi alex320, thanks, very really helpful. Which area did you get your car from? Any idea what kind of availability they have (ie. are there still many available, or supply slim)?
    Wow!! That was a great deal. I paid $31000 for an 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro 6M with premium package and the blutooth feature. I guess you really have to try hard to get a good deal...if you don't ask you won't get it!!! This is a good example.
    Hey ZMP... when did you buys yours? Sounds like timing makes all the difference. Did yours have the cold weather package? Any other features?
    Hello!! I bought the car last Tuesday. I hadn't done any research on this car in particular since I was thinking about buying a pre-owned 2004 A4 instead. It just has the premium package and the bluetooth option. I think it's a 2007 instead of a 2007.5 because I had the bluetooth added without having to add the Convenience Package as required if you Build your Audi in their website. Did you read my previous e-mail I posted before Alex's? My car has a noticeable turbo lag and no low end torque. I'm a little worried and unimpressed with my car right now...I hope it really gets better after the "break-in period".

Thanks.
    I have a 2004 1.8T CVT right now. It does have low-end torque, but not off the line for some reason. I can't say I have turbo lag, but the CVT drives completely different from the other transmissions. I recently test drove other turbo cars and find the Audi turbo remarkable compared to the others. But it is a unique drive and you have to get used to it. I just test drove the 2007 and find very little difference between the way they drive. Give it some more time, I'm sure you'll come to enjoy it! But don't expect anything to change after the break-in period, this is it.

Enjoy your new car! Thanks for the info.
    Thanks! It's just that the car I test drove the same day I bought the car had such a great response, nothing compared to my car. And that was the main reason I bought the car...thanks again and good luck with your new purchase. zmp.
    I bought the car in miami, specifically Prestige Imports. They seemed to have a good amount of A4's on the lot, so supply isn't a problem if you're looking for a model with just the premium package. I think they're the #1 audi dealer in the US, so maybe they get larger volume discounts than other dealerships because I shopped around and no one came even close to that price. I honestly wasn't even going to buy a new A4, I thought even at invoice it was slightly out of my price range, so I originally asked to see the used A4's on the lot. When the sales guy came back with such a good price on a new one instead, I couldn't refuse it!
    No kidding, that's a killer price. I actually just saw an A4 quattro with the premium package and heated seats, black, auto, for $29,995. That's also below invoice. The 2008's are coming soon, so I guess they're starting to blow out the 2007's. I guess it then becomes a question of whether you take the lesser 2007 price or pay the higher price for a 2008 - I would think there's a $2-3k difference for a 3 or 4 yr old a4, so you basically end up getting that money back.
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    Has the Turbo Lag issue died down? Did you end up getting a 6MT or an Automatic? If the former, I would be shocked by the Turbo lag because I've test driven multiple Audi(s) with manuals and never experienced a delay in the turbo response.

Just food for thought, test drive your car before you purchase it, just so you know the driving dynamics of the car you're going to take home.

If the problem persists, take it to the Audi A4 Problems / Issues board to see if other people had the same problem. I remember reading about turbo lag, but mainly with their automatic transmission, which is why I opted for the 6MT. Also, take a service guy on a test drive and show them what you mean by the problem, especially if it's continuous.
  • rallyfanrallyfan Member Posts: 36
    DID YOU BUY THE CVT OR THE 6SPD I HAVE TEST DROVE BOTH I FOUND THAT THE 6PD DOES NOT HAVE THE LAG BUT THE CVT HAD A SLIGHT ONE ALSO IS IT A QUATTRO I AM LOOKING INTO LEASING ONE SOON. HOW IS THE GAS MILEAGE? COULD BE A BROKEN O2 SENSOR DID YOU GET THE DEALER TO WRITE DOWN YOUR COMPLAINT IN WRITING AND DID YOU VERIFY IT. GOOD LUCK IN GETTING IT RESOLVED : THANKS RALLYFAN
    Guys, after I bought the car I found out the exact size of the Audi to dealer incentive, it's actually 3k. Now that you know what the dealer is working with, you should be able to get an amazing deal on an A4. Good luck!
    Hello! I still have the turbo lag issue. I bought a 6M. Have you ever heard that after you "break-in" the engine the turbo lag dissapears? This is the first time I buy a brand new car so I'm not sure about that. The salesman who sold me the car called me on Sunday saying not to worry about it because his S4 experienced the same. But I have a feeling it's not going to change. I don't if I should wait until the 1000 miles to see what happens or if I should go back to the dealer this week and have the service guy test drive it like you said. I also want him drive the car I test drove before they sell it so he can compare the two of them.
    Do you mean you paid 3k below invoice price? Is it a Quattro?
    I bought a 6M Quattro. The gas mileage is very good. They did diagnosed the car and I have a receipt for the services. Everything came out to be ok. They said the injectors needed to get adjusted and so on. Can you tell me more about the sensor you mentioned could be broken?

Thanks so much.
    No I didn't get 3k below invoice, but the finance guy let it slip when I got a phone call a couple days later. So others can do better than the deal I got.
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    My salesman never mentioned a break-in period, and he also had a 2006 Audi 2.0T.

It's your investment, and if you're not comfortable with their initial diagnosis, call and set an appointment with the service department, and ask to take one of the service reps on a test drive to see if they can feel the lag too.

I'm still surprised this issue is on the manual transmission, as it's been widely discussed that the turbo lag is most noticable on their automatics. But it could be (as one poster pointed out) a problem with the O2 sensor.
    Thanks for your responses. I will definitely go back and have the service guy drive the car. Thanks again for all your help ;)
  • porchieporchie Member Posts: 50
    I am trying to decide between two cars, a Lexus IS250 and an A4 Quattro with S-Line pkg

Has anyone gotten a good price on an 07 A4 quattro with the SLine pkg? MSRP is just over $35k.

Im in Southern California, and I cant find any info on mfg to dealer incentives. The saleman at the Audi place is very high pressure, and I am not comfortable with him. Cant get a straight answer, so I am going to find another salesman to go through.

BUT I still am not 100% sure about the Audi, love the Lexus, too & it has more included options for the same price.

Did anyone compare these two vehicles? What prices did you get for them?

Thanks!
    Alex320, thanks, that info is extremely helpful. Did you negotiate a lot for that price, or is that what they offered you? Did you pick it up from them, or have it shipped?

I'm looking at one in New York now. They offered it for $29,900 vs. invoice of $31,500. I thought that was a fair deal, but now I'll push for a lot more. ;)
  • needashowerneedashower Member Posts: 39
    Has anyone seen the $3k dealer incentives documented anywhere?
    I negotiated for a while to get that price, but I didn't know the size of the incentive beforehand. The sales guys know that you don't know the size of the incentive (I haven't seen it online anywhere), so when they tell you there is one and they offer you 1k-2k below invoice, most people walk away very happy.
    Very true. And I'm not trying to leave the dealer with nothing, everyone has to make some money, but a $3k difference is immense. Glad these forums exist, because I really think the whole sales process is ridiculous... that one person get walk away with the same car for $3k less than another because they're more comfortable negotiating.

In either case, I called Prestige and the guy told me the quattro's go for mid-high 30's. After I told him that I saw one advertised for $29,900, he immediately told me they're the largest dealer and can beat any price. Waiting for him to get back to me now. Amazing how I knocked off $5k in 15 seconds. The next $1-2k will likely take a lot longer.

Did you drive your car back from them, or have it shipped?
    I drove the car back. That's pretty funny how you knocked the price down so fast, a couple of weeks ago any dealer would've laughed at that number, since the incentive started on July 3. I was car shopping during the whole month of June and was targetting the end of the month to get the best deal, funny how pushing the decision back a week saved a big pile of cash.
    Does anyone know whether there is a difference between the 2008 vs 2007 A4 sedan? Some dealers are saying they come standard with s-line bumpers and a grill, and others are saying there's no change whatsoever. (I'm not talking about the totally redesigned model due out next year, I mean the 2008 model coming out in a month or two).
  • jescuejescue Member Posts: 521
    The S-line exterior package is standard on all 2008 A4 models. They will arrive late this month or early August.
    Cool... I guess it makes sense then to go for the '08 for an extra $2k, you get that money back on the resale value. Although, looking through all the pictures I can find, I can't see much visible difference between the regular and s-line exterior.
  • drjoeddrjoed Member Posts: 26
    I have owned several Infinities over the past 10 years but have always wanted to drive an A4. I bought an '07 (not S-line) last November and I do like the car. Turbo lag is an issue but this actually goes away with any one of several "mod. chips" (~$500) currently on the market. Anyway, I think if I had to do it over I would have gone with the Lexus IS250! Big thing as I look at it is going to be reliability and resale. Infinity/Lexus have it all over Audi. many people tell me to be sure and trade this baby in before the warranty ends! (That said I do think that Audi reliability is on the upswing and will continue to improve.) But, for example, my wife is still driving my 2000 Infinity I30 which has 90K miles and has never needed anything but tires and routine maintenance!!
    Did not even need brakes until 75K miles!!! Have yet to have any issues with the exhaust system!! (GOD I hope I don't jinx myself!!)
    I've never had a Lexus, but I've had several problems with my 2004 A4 CVT. They're completely different cars.. I remember I didn't like the Lexus having too small of a trunk and that it was rear-wheel drive. I think the Audi can work out cheaper as well.

But like I said, lots and lots of problems. Service has been fantastic and they've fixed them all quickly. I also like the concept of a maintenance warranty so you don't pay for anything during the warranty period (oil changes, new wiper blades, etc, etc.). Having said that, I still really like the car and am looking at getting a new one.
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    HI

I am interested in leasing a new A4 Avant turbo for 36 months (or 39) with 15K per year in NY. Could you tell me the money factor and the residual value for this car?

Thanks for your help.
    RXKE
  • black00black00 Member Posts: 48
    For those who recently got an A4 and used the $3k incentive.
    Is that valid on purchases only and not leases?
    I was hoping to lower my cap cost by another $3k and make the A4 lease more attractive, but I'm told that the $3k can only be used if buying, but NOT on a lease, because the leases already have a low MF.
    Can anyone confirm or comment on this?
    Hi all, I just finalized my purchase and thought I'd share all the details. Hope this helps!

2008 A4 2.0T Quattro Sedan (on order, 8-10 weeks for delivery)
    - Dolphin Gray Metallic paint
    - Premium package (black leather interior)
    - Heated front seats
    - Sport suspension
    - Walnut wood interior trim
    - Total price $32,000 (including delivery, etc.) vs. MSRP approx $35,600

Note the 2008 is not the new redesigned style, which is being introduced as the 2009, but the same style as the 2007. 2008 MSRP is a few hundred $$'s higher, because it comes standard with the s-line exterior bumpers, grill, spoiler, etc. I was originally bargaining down a 2007, which I could probably get with these options for approx $30k, but it made sense to spend the extra $2k on a newer model which will pay back at resale time.
  • jamiewu0203jamiewu0203 Member Posts: 11
    I am also planning to buy a 2007 Audi A4 in few weeks...
    Is - Sport suspension avaiable on 2007 Audi A4? I just went to the dealer in MA and they give me the price of $29756 for 2007 Audi A4 with:
    - Premium package
    - Heated front seats

Is this a good deal or not?
    If not, what amount should be a good deal.
    Yes, sport suspension is available on 2007's. Are you talking about a quattro or CVT? Manual or auto? What colour? Does that include delivery and all charges?

Check out the 'new cars' section on edmunds.com and price out the car. Others have posted that there's a $3k rebate for 2007's, so take about $2,700 or so off the invoice price and I'd say that's reasonable.
  • yifeiyifei Member Posts: 12
    Hi jamiewu0203,

As I know, sport suspension is available on 2007. Could you tell me which dealer you got this quote from and whether this quote includes destination charge? btw, what's the color?

THank you so much
    Hi, just for comparison... I had previously got a quote for a 2007 A4, quattro, auto, with dolphin gray metallic paint, premium package, sport suspension, and heated seats for $30,198. This includes all delivery, charges, etc. Keep in mind the paint is an extra $450+ and the sport suspension is $250. This was just a quote by email, so I'm sure the price would come down more.

Hope this helps.
    hi smogil,

you said this quote includs all delivery, charges, etc. could you tell me the details? i know delivery, but what are others?

thank you so much.
    Delivery is the main one. But just confirm there are no other additional dealer charges they aren't telling you about.
  • pholliephollie Member Posts: 45
    Consider it confirmed. I just bought one of these and you definitely cannot use both incentives.
    Black00 - can you share the details of your purchase?
    yeah, it's confirmed that you can only be eligible for one incentive, either cash rebate on the price or low apr.

I am going to make an offer on an A4 2.0T Quattro Brilliant Black with premium and heated front seat within 2 days. And a dealer gave me a quote of $28,450(I am not sure if it includes delievery or other fee yet). Could anyone give me some advice? It's urgent!

Thank you so much.
    Is it auto or manual?
    Hi it's A4 2.0T Auto Quartz with premium and hearted seats
  • black00black00 Member Posts: 48
    Smogil,
    I haven't purchased it yet. I'm cross shopping it with the 328i and G35 and haven't made a decision yet.
    If I do purchase or lease the A4, I'll post my details here.
    Yeah, that sounds really good. Lower than the prices I got for that year.
  • muffinman1muffinman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster
    I've been reading some of the exchanges between smogil, yifei and the others (and I'm lucky I caught it too) - I realize now that the quote my dealer gave me does not sound as good as it did...

This quote is for a 2007 black, 2.0T quattro automatic A4 (w/ premium pkg, heated seats, bluetooth):

"The MSRP on the car I selected is $34,265 which has a $1905 profit margin; splitting that translates into a $952.50 discount less the $3000 marketing allowance. Your final price would be $30,312.50 + tax, title and license!"

I noticed yifei had similar configurations - yifei, if you closed the deal, what was the price you eventually agreed on? Would $29,000 + TTL be a fair offer? I don't want to rip this guy off, he's been great with us.

Thanks
    Hi muffinman1,

I just closed the deal, it's an A4 2.0T quattro, brilliant black, black interior, premium and heated front seat. My ODP is 29756. But remember, I didn't negotiate it and I got an offer 300 bucks lower than this one, but just too late to change my mind.

I did a test drive today. Actually I did test drive my friend's 2006 A4 before. But this time, I felt better and A4 is definetely a good car. I did test drive on BMW 328xi and inf&#65- 353;niti g35x&#12- 288;before. in terms of the performance, really hard to say which one is better. so finally it becomes a money-wise decision again. Therefore, no more I can say, price explains itself.