Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chris136chris136 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same felling in the gas peddle with my A4. To the best of my knowledge turbos work at a higher rev line than 1000rpm which is what we are talking about with the A4. The problem happens at low to no speed the turbo isn't even being used. Spoke with the dealer in Westchester said the turbo is a demand style, which means that only kicks when a heavy foot is involved. Stop and go driving will not request the turbo to kick in unless u are pounding on the gas peddle. Check with your dealer about computer adjustments the A4 is drive by wire so there might be some tweaking to be done. :)
  • dick10dick10 Member Posts: 1
    If you're buying from the original owner or a used car dealer, you need an independent inspection to look for:
    whether the timing belt has been replaced; whether you need front and rear breaks; whether the car needs an alignment; leaks in the front and rear seals of the transmission; and whether the car has been in an accident (rear or front). Then set aside $3,000 for repairs (that's the real cost of your car).
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    My main problem was that the 4 year/50K warranty and maintenance contract expired on my 2001 A4. My solution was to trade in the car before it started to eat me out of house and home.

The Audi was a great car to drive, but there were just too many nits and noids that always needed attention (electrics, door seals, brakes groaning, cricket like noise from the engine compartment) that I was afraid to keep it long term.

Getting the thing serviced is very expensive and I wasn't all that thrilled with the impending timing belt change and the oil sludge issues that folks have been talking about.

My check engine light came on at 51,500 miles, and it the dealer wanted 125 just to read the code. I got it read and repaired at an independent shop. Still cost 88 to read the code, about 30 for parts and 60 for labor to fix. Turned out to be a vacumn leak and two small hoses had to be replaced.

I will miss the A4, but not the cost of keeping it running.
  • ismya4okismya4ok Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T. For the first two years or so I loved it. It looked good and drove well and, while I had intermittent problems with it, they were minor (and of course, covered by warranty). Now that I've owned it for four years and can look back at all the times I've had to take it to the dealer, plus the couple of times I've been stranded in the piece of @#!*, I'm disgusted. And frustrated that now I have to pay to for the continuous repairs becuase my warranty has expired. The latest: I had it in last week for an ignition coil problem, and I'm taking it in again tomorrow to fix a leak from the propeller shaft that the dealer found while fixing the ignition coil. Has anyone else's Audi been awful. If so, did you complain to Audi -- and did it do any good?
  • casanova2casanova2 Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro with the tiptronic automatic and I love the car. I have driven about 400 miles so far and I am not impressed with the mileage, my Toyota Highlander V6 does better frankly.

I am averaging 18mpg (70% city/30% highway miles). I use 87 octane.

Is there something wrong? I notice that the car hits 6th gear at 45 mpg, something I find kind of strange, and it feels sluggish at this speed. Does it have an adaptive transmission like the Highlander that learns your driving style over time?

Any suggestions as to what's going on much appreciated.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    You should be running 91 or higher... That would explain the poor gas mileage.
  • junk_car_ownerjunk_car_owner Member Posts: 47
    I like your message. First you start off happy , then reality sets in and you are disgusted. For me (Audi 2002 A4 1.8T) I have had problems from day 1. I still have the extended warranty for a year and a half so I just have to pay the $50 dollar deductible to get some repairs done. And believe me I have repairs every couple of months or so. Usually the same repairs have to be repeated. Any way one thing you must know about Audi...complaining gets you a friendly voice on the other line telling you that we can continue fixing your car ..or that we will continue honouring the warranty that you have. NOTHING ELSE. SO the moral of the story is SELL YOUR AUDI CAR BEFORE THE WARRANTY EXPIRES OR ELSE OPEN UP YOUR WALLETS.
  • richb1richb1 Member Posts: 9
    I wrote in last weeek about my clutch giving out @54000 miles. I contacted Audi, and essentially was told that since it is a "wear item" they really couldn't extend any assistance other than a a sympathetic ear. Even the dealership couldn't be consistent in what help it could offer. The service mgr said one thing, the "director" (whatever that is) said another. Bottom line...I eat the cost of repair. Ironically, my wife's 1988 Honda Accord with 217,000 miles only recently had to have its clutch replaced. Audi has lost a once loyal customer. Do you think they care? :sick:
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I would never use 87 octane in the 2.0 Turbo. It's says 91 on the fuel door. Using a poorer grade of fuel can actually hurt your gas mileage, so you're not saving anything by going with cheaper gas.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I would never use 87 octane in the 2.0 Turbo. It's says 91 on the fuel door. Using a poorer grade of fuel can actually hurt your gas mileage, so you're not saving anything by going with cheaper gas.

Yeah, this topic has been beat to death in many forums, but the fact of the matter is that if you use lower octane fuel on higher compression ratio engines, you're gonna get worse performance and lower gas mileage. There is absolutely no incentive (including no financial incentive) to put in cheaper gas.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Odd, BMW for instance you can provide a Vin# and see every service ever done on the vehicle. Audi does not document work or service done on a vehicle ?

DL
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Boy oh boy, I read your guys posts about engine, ABS lights coming on, brakes noises, etc and I have to tell you how regretful I am of getting my 2005 1.8 6M A4 Last January. ABS lights came on at 3,000, dealer fixed whatever problem, then it came on again at 8,000. Fixed again. Engine light came on at 11,000, dealer fixed. Yesterday I drove to Cape May, NJ and the next day (the temperature in the morning was 29 degrees), when I started the car, it started to shake like a blender crushing ice....the engine light was flashing (not steady), then after the RPM came down, the car stopped shaking and the Engine light was steady. I panicked and called the dealer, but since it was Saturday afternoon, service dept was close. I had not choice but to drive the car back to my home (aprox 120 miles), although it drove fine, I am scare to even turn the ignition.

After I got home today, I swore to God that if I made home, I will never ever ever never ever, buy another German car while I breathe. After driving Japanese cars (I've owned 6) since I was 16, I decided to try the "German driving experience" . Yes I sooooooooo much love the drive, feel, connection of the Audi, God only knows that it puts a smile in my face when I corner, or drive that beautiful machine in the highway (mind you that I have the anemic 1.8!), I love the interior and its perfect lighting instruments, but my dear friends, I have never encounter a new car that have given me such heart palpitations. Maybe I am over reacting??? but coming from trouble free Toyotas/Hondas, I got spoiled.

The only good news is that I leased the car (thanks GOD!) so everything will be cover under warranty. But as soon as the Lease experies in Jan 2008, I will be back driving my reliable Japanese car (Lexus IS250) despite the disconnection with the road, its tiny back seat and lack of "spirit".

I test drove the IS in the taste of lexus event and it certainly is not an AUDI when it comes to handling and feel, but I'll sacrifice that (with lots of tears), in order to prevent a heart attack!!

:cry:
    If you leased don't sweat it, and enjoy the ride..
    I agree with your conclusions about the Audi and its problems. It is too bad that it is too late for your to go back .But, you are right, get rid of it as soon as you can. You are sooo lucky you leased it. I financed.
    Junk_car_owner, you know I was one inch away from buying the car outright, but my Accountant convinced me to go for the lease. I got a very good deal as well. This is my first lease, and even though from my business stand point its more economical to lease, I keep my cars for a very long time; thus I like to own rather than lease (even if my Accountant hangs me upside down).

You know......as I mentioned on my previous post. I really love to drive this car, perhaps when the lease expires their reliabilty will improve or am I wishfooly thinking???

But one thing I'll do is to enjoy it and I will stop thinking about it anymore.
    quote:"perhaps when the lease expires their reliabilty will improve or am I wishfooly thinking??? "

Well, if you read some previous posts,I think that there is one about a person whose warranty just expired after which all the warning lights and problems started to appear and he/she had to pay for it. I wonder if this is built into that little computer these cars have. I like you have always financed and I wish however, this time that I leased. I do like to own my cars 7-10years. However, I have learned my lesson. Things may have settled down for now with the car. However, I bet that if a problem appears right after the extended warranty expires, I will be kicking myself for sure. Lesson learned well here. At least I have not been out of pocket on this car. All repeated repairs have been covered all be it was a huge nusance/waste of time/frustration. Besides, I think there is an unwritten rule about selling before warranties expire. Yes, it is an enjoyable / comfortable car to drive.
  • suckersucker Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have an honest, mechanic in the Bay Area? I have an A4 that needs lots of attention... Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hi-Tec Automotive, San Rafael, Calif. The BEST indy shop for Audi!
  • apc123apc123 Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 audi A4 1.8 Avant just went out of warranty and the engine blew after the last oil change at 1,200 miles ago and religious oil changes. Presige Audi in Denver told me that Auki knew about the oil sludge problem and would"step up to the plate and fix it and then after furnishing all the documentatioln they asked for they called me back 7 days later and said sorry Audi wont pay for it and we will not "eat a 14,000 mistake of one of our employees. No help form the 1=800 Audi of North America I simply cannot afford a 14,000 new engine i still owe on the car[bought it in 2003] and not sure what else to do any suggestions? I am so mad at the horrible customer service and the not really caring about us and our 17 year history of owning Audi
  • fanujadfanujad Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all....I am in the process of doing the necessary homework before buying a car. I seriously considered an A4, based upon "German Engineering" and "body style" (fatal mistake). It appears the German Engineering portion of the program is no longer a selling point, based upon the litney of negative feedback, and the overwhelming multitude of possible points of failure! I read a members comments about any forum dealing with problems will have a multitude of listings for any vehicle, because people love to vent the negative aspects of anything, rather than the positives. But what hit me right between the eyes, was his comment to "go look at other manufacturers sites" and read about their negatives. So I did, and what I found was amazing!!! For instance, I went to Acura's negatives, and the complaints centered around a navigation system which is awkward to use, or a wind whistle in a window seal. That's a FAR CRY from the issues on this site!!!!!! I am now enlightened and have narrowed my hunt for a new vehicle by 1 model!!!!!!!
    Cheers!
  • jobuzojobuzo Member Posts: 1
    did you ever find out the procedure to replace the bearings? In other discussions, people talk about the cost, about $350 each. I figure it must not be that bad if it is only $350 and Audi repairs go. I need to do mine as well.
    I am glad that the message got through. You are very logical.
  • nstraubnstraub Member Posts: 4
    Glad to have found this site. I bought the new Audi A3 six weeks ago and have put one thousand miles on it. From the get go the shift never was smooth as compared to the test drive car. The mileage on it was minimal and mostly highway driving. On the expressway (middle lane no less), the car simply would not go into gear when attempting to downshift upon nearing traffic. I could only get it into first and slink off the highway. It would not move out of first for anything. The roadside assistance man determined the same thing saying that "Audi clutches always have problems." The dealership has had it for a week and they recently told me the the disks were broken and the cause was probably from "RACING and HARD DRIVING"! This not make sense, I have driven manual transmissions for years and not once had I even grinded the gears. Racing?? When taking the car out on the typical trips to the supermarket and Dunkin' Donuts, there is no "racing" involved. I really feel afraid that I have a lemon and/or they are going to bs me into some story that is just not true. Any help would very much be appreciated.
    Nancy.
  • rdsmdrdsmd Member Posts: 4
    just to follow up on the radio problem. I brought the car in on a cold day (late December) and the dealer agreed the radio needed to be replaced. He said they would have a replacement in a week. That was over a month ago. Now they say that the replacements are coming from Germany, and it could take another month. Audi pulled all the existing stock replacements for this radio off the shelf. However there is no generalized recall notice. This suggests to me that they know there is a problem with this radio in cold weather, but they don't want to publicize it or they'll be replacing hundreds of radios. Also as long as the temperature stays above freezing, they work fine. Would be interested to hear if anyone else is waiting for a replacement radio, or has had the same problem. I have the 2005 A4 3.0 cabriolet with the upgraded Bose system and XM radio.
  • rdsmdrdsmd Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to reiterate what everybody is saying on this site. I love the way the Audi drives, and having a convertible with 4 wheel drive that you can actually drive in the Northeast in the winter is truly awesome, BUT I have had many minor problems that are a headache, and the service dept. is absolutely the worst. Before my Audi I had 4 BMW's in a row (all 5 series) and each one was better than the next. The most recent one (a 2002) basically needed no maintenance, and had not a single flaw during the 3 year lease period. Here's my sad list on the AUDI... the convertible top didn't function right from the get-go.. they replaced it the first month I had the car. My radio has no sound in cold weather (until it warms up). they are going to replace it (see note above). My horn just stopped working one day and had to be replaced. The top is now making vibrating noise, and I brought it in once and they said they "couldn't duplicate the problem". I am bringing it in again.. I finally called the person that sold me the car and she is going to make sure the best service people look at it this time. And last but not least, one of the plastic controls on the electric seat adjustment broke, so you can't move the seat forward, only back. Luckily the automatic adjustment still works so I can get it into the right position! That's it.. no major mechanical issues, but in less than a year I've been to service more than in the last 10 years with my BMWs... I think at lease end it's back to BMW for me! ALso another secret that they don't tell you is that Audi doesn't allow their dealers to keep any stock on parts, so any repair that they need a part for, you have to bring the car back a second time!! I'm talking about things as simple as a horn, a windshield washer motor. And the new convertible top had to come from Germany!! It's really too bad because it's a great car and if they got the quality issues fixed they could really move up into the top echelon.
  • tiger1874tiger1874 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had this problem of the misfire on #2 cylinder and if so, how was it fixed? I have a 98 A4 1.8T Quattro with the same problem. The plugs were covered in oil, so my mechanic replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, #2 coil, checked the compression, checked the fuel injector and still can't figure it out. Please help!! I can't afford thousands of dollars to get my car fixed!
  • tslentslen Member Posts: 2
    Daget1 - Did you ever receive any advice on this? My daughter recently snapped a timing belt ata 63K miles on her '99 A4 and was set back $4,500. Would love to know if there is some way to offset these expenses? Did you have any luck?
    rdsmd, I am wondering, why did you go for the Audi and did not stick to the BMW??? For me this is my first Audi and the last one as well. I am almost 98% certain that I will go for the Lexus IS350 at the end of my lease.But like I said on my prior post, I will miss the handling of the German cars. I am opening up to look into the BMW 330. I guess I'll have to do my homework to make sure it does not have as many problems as the AUDI.

You mentioned that you had very few problems with the BMW, what about their customer service? Were you happy with them?

Thanks
  • pikerosapikerosa Member Posts: 1
    :surprise: I have had almost the exact same problems w/ my "02 A4. Bad computer for the dash display the day I bought car. RED FLAG for the years to come, huh? half of the horn went bad twice. "Too much door grease" per service making the left front door speaker do out twice, sunroof tilts open on it's own (another bad switch), STRANGE CLICKING LEFT FRONT DASH (if anyone knows what this is, please call my dealer, they can never hear it!!) It's almost like a blinker clicking, different speeds and at different times, not consistent. Engine light experience last week, YEAH, due to 2 bad vacuum hoses. Can't wait till April 1st when the warranty's over. Really like the drive except for the low-end d/t the Turbo.
    Think I'd like a new car, but am scared of AUDI after all this. Any thoughts on the '06's, despite the ugly front grille?
  • rob_z1rob_z1 Member Posts: 2
    I just had this problem occur on my car this morning. Tried pulling out of the driveway the the passenger rear was locked. Came back a couple of hours later and it was fine.

Were you able to solve your problem?
  • joony422joony422 Member Posts: 1
    About my car:
    Audi A4 Convertible 2004 (appx. 46000)
    4 year lease

Problem:
    Oil Sludge

Four days ago, my car just suddenly dies in the freeway and it's towed to the dealer. The problem, "Oil Sludge" they call it. So the dealer asks for my recent service receipts so I provide them with all my receipts and I have them done with synthetic oil. Some I've got it done outside of dealer and some from the dealer. Later, they decline the warranty due to lack of info and that I went over 2000 miles on one particular time with the service. Now they are asking about $7000 to fix the car. In this case, what should I do cuz I really don't have that kind of money. This really doens't make any sense to me cuz I had cars previously and they never break down even I go over 10,000 miles! Is there anyway I can talk them into a warranty? And is there any way I can just return this junk?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Enter "sludge" in the discussion search for posts from other owners discussing this issue.
  • keysjessewkeysjessew Member Posts: 1
    My car does not heat well at the floor. Dealer has no idea what the problem is. Any advise. Jesse
    Its leased, why do you have to pay for any thing ?

DL
  • webbiewebbie Member Posts: 1
    I have been ahving trouble with my 2002 A4 1.8T radio reception. I have the bose system and everything works great but the radio is not getting any reception. I asked the dealer and they said I need a booster, which is $300. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if they have any advice on how to fix it without spending $300 on a booster.
  • harmanjharmanj Member Posts: 1
    My clutch on my A4 is going out for the THIRD time at under 32,000 miles. I bought the car at 13,000 miles and had the first clutch go out at 22,000. It went out again at 28,000 and had to spend the $1500 to get it replaced. I thought it must have been a fluke but now it is going out in under 4,000 miles since replacement (2 months). I have been increasingly careful with the clutch and Audi will only tell me "wear and tear". Does anyone know how of any problem this might be, or how to get Audi to actually try and help me??
  • blake1771blake1771 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T did EXACTLY the same thing! I had previously had the car towed to the dealership because my oil pressure warning light illuminated. After keeping my car for about a month (no kidding) they called and accused me of stealing their loaner car. I was like i'll drive the damn loaner car until they call and tell me whats wrong with mine. They never called and so I kept the thing; which was really kind of funny. Eventually, they informed me that all it needed was an oil flush and oil change, even though I had been having the oil changed with synthetic oil within the maufacturers suggested time periods. I did this and had no problems for awhile, but it ultimeately died when I was on a roadtrip in the middle of nowhere. At first they refused to honor the repair; which required a whole new engine! They said they had no records of me having the oil changed. My problem, was that I did not do this at the dealership, although it would have been free at the time. The dealership was just too far from my house to justify the drive and time vs. going to Jiffy Lube or something like that. I eventually was able to round up receipts to prove the oil had been changed regularly and they eventually did pay for the new engine under warranty. Shortly thereafter I received a form letter from Audi which spoke to a widespread defect involving oil pressure and oil sludge problems. The letter said if you had out of pocket repairs for the problem you would be reimbursed if you provided receipts. I wish I had saved the letter, but I don't have it anymore. That might be something you should look into.
  • richb1richb1 Member Posts: 9
    I'm not exactly sure, but I think that this might fall under your state's "Lemon Law" if it should have one. You may want to contact the Dept of Motor Vehicles about this. I know people who have gone as far as the Attorney General's Office in similar matters and they will investigate your complaint.
    Wear and tear seems to be Audi's mantra. Two weeks after my clutch went on my car with 54,000 miles and having it replaced, the worn brake pads light came on and had to have the front brakes of the car redone. This after they told me just before the warranty went off that the brakes were fine. They threw me a 10% discount on my bill as if that would make it right. I swear Audi programs their computer sensors to kick in after the warranty runs out. Always an adventure with this brand of "fine German engineering."
  • ismya4okismya4ok Member Posts: 3
    Here's my most recent problem with my A4, which seems to need repair at least monthly. It's a piece of crap. But I digress. I have a 2002 A4 (out of warranty, of course). While driving, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) came on -- steady, not flashing. I made it to my destination without a problem, and the car feels like it's driving fine. Any ideas what the cause might be? Thanks for your help! :lemon:
  • jmclellanjmclellan Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I have an A3 98 TDI 3 door, my drivers door window has stopped working and i cant seem to close it. I wonder if anyone can tell me how the door panels can be removed as i think the window may have come of a runner as the electric motor is still working but jams when trying to close.

Thanks
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    The light came on in my 2001 A4 at 51,500 miles. Just after the warranty expired. The dealer wanted 125 just to read the code. I found an independent shop to read the code for 88. They then fixed for a mere 88/hour in labor. All told it cost me about 180 for the repair. There was a vacumn leak and they replaced two small hoses. Not too big a deal, but with all the other problems I had been having and knowing that they would likely continue and start to get expensive, I went ahead and traded the car in.

Autozone or somebody else might be able to read the code for you on the cheap, but my guess is that whoever does the actual repair is going to charge you to read the code anyway before they start work (which would make sense). As long as the light is on steady (according to the 01 owner's manual and the dealer) it was ok to drive. If it flashes then you need to have it towed because you could do some damage by continuing to drive it. I don't know about the 02 though.

Good luck.

TB
  • fourplay56fourplay56 Member Posts: 5
    When I did service, I asked the technician, he told me that all the 2005+ / 2006 Audi A4 Quattro come with Mobil 1 Regular oil which is 5w-30 ( and he said you could use any other brand as long as it is 5w-30).

However you can also use Mobil 1 synthetic 0w-30, but that's not neccesary. (It will be more durable but not provide better performance...that's what he said. Mobil 1 synthetic is used for the purpose of avoiding the sludge problem on A4 1.8T)

Anyone has comments on this?
  • jas_dhingrajas_dhingra Member Posts: 1
    My heating system recently packed up on me (conveniently in the winter!!!). It blows out no air and occasionally (if I'm driving round a corner, etc) it switches on suddenly.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
    Hi gang, well after picking up my car last week due to the engine light being on, I was surprised to see it again this morning!!! I called the dealer and basically I was told that the engine light can come up due to various reasons, among them: gas cap not being properly shut, misfire of the engine, vacuum problems, etc, etc, etc.

I've told them that this is the last time that I will take the car for the same reason (this is the third time engine light is on), and if the engine light comes on again, then I will start Lemon law proceedings. Do you guys think I'll have a case if this engine light keeps appearing??? The car runs fine, but it is so anyoing to keep comming back for the same reason. Have any of you experienced the same problem so many times in such a short period of time?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

R

2005 A4 6M 1.8L
    Leased 1/11/05; current mileage 21,000
  • mweimwei Member Posts: 1
    Hi recently experienced a similar problem with my Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 2002 that you have met before.

The steering wheel vibrates at certain RPM 1200 - 1400. Above of below this range is fine. I just wonder how did you solve the problem. Any shave will be very appreciated.
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    Audi currently recommends 5W-40 Synthetic oil. The oil must meet the VW 502-00 standard. See the below link from Audi, listing those oils that meet the standard.
    http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/Audi_Approved_Oil_Chart.pdf
    This standard was implemented as a result of the sludge problems experienced a few years ago. Neither Mobil-1 0W-30 nor 5w-30 meet the standard.
  • parlayplyrparlayplyr Member Posts: 1
    sorry to hear all the bad stories about Audi's. Mine is similar.

I bought my A4 of lease from the dealership in 2003. Since then I have poured an additional $8000 into the car for repairs. The last straw or go around, they are claiming I need a new computer ($3000 with labor). Enough already!! I subsequently took the car back and got a second opinion to find out the dealership mechanic failed to put back parts of my car. They were kind enough to fess up and put the parts back free of charge, but what kind of shady business in this? I would Never NEVER recommend an Audi to anyone that I like. :lemon:
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Most folks I hear of on the Audi boards use the Mobil 1 0W-40, the European spec Mobil 1.

Check the bottle as I believe it specifically lists the VW/Audi specs.

JR
  • jacob0404jacob0404 Member Posts: 3
    Be sure to check online for the lemon laws in your state. In Georgia 3 times is the charm. When the engine light comes on, the onboard computer should log what the problem is. I would ask the dealer for this information.
    Just wanted to share with you all my frustration (I'll tried to remain calm). I took my car this past Friday to be serviced(engine light on again). When I got to the dealer, I immediately requested the loaner, which I had reserved since the previous Monday when I made the appointment. The service manager indicated that they could take a quick look right away and perhaps have me out of the place in 30 minutes. After waiting patiently for 1 hour I went into his office to check on the status (bear in mind that I had already explained to him that I needed to get back to my office ASAP). He said that the mechanic found a leak in the car and that they needed to order a part (did not have the part in stock). Very calmly he said to bring the car back on Monday!! I cant write here what I wanted to tell him, but I guess he did not understand the purpose of a loaner (Dealer keeps the troubled car as long as they need it to get it fixed and us customers get a loaner to move around until the car its fixed....I explained that to him just like that). He kept insisting that I come back on Monday. At that point I thought that either he got early signs of mental retardation or my message was not being understood. I told him to take the car off the lift and I was going to another dealer.

Today I sent a letter to that Dealership Service Manager, and cc Audi of America Customer Relations as well as NJ lemon law division (this is the third time that the engine light keeps coming on). I dont know if you guys have received such poor service at your Audi dealership, but I would never recommend you purchase a car from Flemington Audi. While the sales person was terrific and the sales process was excellent (not complaints there), the service dept has really left a very bad impression on me.

I guess that after being treated one way by my wife's dealer (Lexus ES 300), you do get spoiled. I always have gotten loaners even from Miami dealers when we travel(we purchased the car in NJ).

I had it with the poor reliability of this car and the crappy treatment that the service department seems to give its customers.

Thanks for listening and I will be counting the 26 months or 780 days or 18,720 hours left on my lease, and I will return this car with a big smile. Never again!

Thanks all

p.s. I would like to know what type of experiences you've had when requesting a loaner from a dealer different than where you purchased the car. Life Quality Audi in BayRidge Brooklyn called me back to let me know that they "stopped" the loaners program for customers that bought the car somewhere else!!! While I understand that the "in-house" customer should get preferential treatment, at least they should make an effort to provide others "outsiders" with a loaner. Anyway, just let me know if you guys are able to get loaners from outside dealers.

Thanks for listening to my cries :cry:

2005 A4 6MT, 1.8