Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mplsownermplsowner Member Posts: 3
    I've read tons of these posts & some of you seem to really know a lot about this process and price deals. We don't really need to buy immediately, so we could defer this a few months or even until later fall. We've done a lot of price checking and comparison shopping in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul). I've found a dealer who will get us any color EX-L (no RES or NAV) we want for a quoted price of $27,995, and he said he could probably sweeten the deal a bit when we talk again tomorrow. This is the best price we've found so far in our area other than one that is about $500 less because it is old inventory. Unfortunately, that one is not a color we want because it has the ivory interior that I am shying away from due to worries about dirt with that color. We had been planning on paying cash but are now tempted to use the 2.9% financing deal.

Bottom line: what does it seem as though the overall price trends are? Should we buy now or wait a couple months in the hope that prices may drop another $1000 to $1500 or so after the 2010s are in stock? We are somewhat flexible in color choice. Also, it is now only 10 days until the end of the month. Could we push for a little better price more towards the end of the month? Thanks for your thoughts.
  • lyaolyao Member Posts: 71
    Hi poohsavybear,

First, Congrats to you!
    Next, just wanna tell you that I don't think you got a great deal for being a VA resident.
    I'd this OTD price (included TTL, destination, wheel locks, etc) since May 1, 2009:

2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L $28,580.94
    2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L DVD $30,012.45
    2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L Navi & DVD $31,980.77 (I ended up bought $100 less) 2009 Honda Odyssey Touring W/O PAX $35,156.93

I even got an email sometime in end of May for $300 less.
    Besides, I got a dealer that even offer me:
    free lifetime oil changes.

For Landmark Honda, I swear I'll never visit them again in my life due to bad experiences (even reported to American Honda).

Thanks!
  • mrthnmanmrthnman Member Posts: 24
    which dealer are those prices from ?
  • pb95pb95 Member Posts: 2
    any NC prices? First quote is 29,650+TTL
  • isles22isles22 Member Posts: 5
    pb95,
    Price seems a little high, I think you could do better. Depending where you are in NC- I received approx 9 internet quotes back in April ranging from $29,900 to $33,500 out-the-door! I'm in the Raleigh area and despite a ton of Honda dealers in my area, I purchased from Sanford Honda (approx 1 hour away). See details at message #22155 and 22219. Good luck.
    Those prices were actually from Herson's Honda at Rockville, MD for VA residents.
    But I ended up bought my minivan at Ourisman Honda at Bethesda, MD.
  • fixingstrugglefixingstruggle Member Posts: 1
    Reporting the purchase of an Odyssey EX at $22500+TTL and OTD price of 239XX in Boston MA.
  • goldengate99goldengate99 Member Posts: 8
    We bought a 2009 EXL Odyssey with RES & NAVI (with dealer installed pinstripes and splash guards) on Saturday at St Louis Honda for $30,061. We paid $1230 for the 7yr/100K extended warranty, which I have since discovered isn't the best deal in the world (I used Curry's price in our negotiation) but I'm happy with it. We dealt with the Internet guys at STL Honda. Very good transaction, from a person to person perspective. I am a woman and was a bit nervous to buy my first new car.

I think we got a very very good price. Any thoughts?
    Hi Goldengate99,

I need you to clarify the $30,061. Is it the OTD prices included TTL & fees?
    The Extended Warranty is supposed to be $1235 for $0 deductible/120K miles/8 yrs on the web. You can still backup your extended warranty program from your dealership.

Sorry, I don't know much about your area. I'm in Northern VA (Fairfax County).
    The auto tax here is only 3% for VA residents.

Thanks!
  • avalanche08avalanche08 Member Posts: 8
    That's a really good price. Please share the dealer name that you bought from. Thanks.
  • ssanjussanju Member Posts: 24
    Thank you - i got color that we want. Yes good selction...
    Looks 30,061 good proce - what are other feess you are going to pay apart from sales tax..
    If color flexible - you can wait for few more weeks. ( This week end I got one - EXL With DVD because we need specific color). Also I learned that Honda going to take 1000 away from current discounts and price may increase after long weeek end. But you never know looking at US economy - decision is yours.

But we wanted to finish deal and if we wait longer color choice may be limited.

Good luck !!
  • bostondude001bostondude001 Member Posts: 20
    Hello,
    Congratulations on your purchase.

Can you email me the Dealer & the person you dealt with.

Can you let me know the breakdown of the $22500. Appreciate your help.

my email is try_nwspeak at yahoo dot com

Thanks
  • longboat2008longboat2008 Member Posts: 18
    wow that is an incredible price! It is $1500 less than the price shown in Message #23096. Did you have a trade-in?
  • goldengate99goldengate99 Member Posts: 8
    We have to pay sales tax when we get our plates. That's about it.

We dealt with Ivo and Randy at Saint Louis Honda. No trade in.
    not even document tax ? intersting ? hw many miles on mini van ????
  • minivan6minivan6 Member Posts: 2
    Can you please let me know the dealership name. Are your taxes in cook county?
  • lookingtobuy5lookingtobuy5 Member Posts: 3
    We bought the car last night. Really like it!
    Thanks to everyone for your relpy!

EX-L $27,041 including base, destination, splashguard, paint sealant, wheellock and cargo tray. (sales tax and plate, doc fee extra)

Bought from Schaumburg Honda, very pleasant experience and honor the internet price.

Email me if you need the name of the sales, very nice guy.

summer2004baby dot at yahoo dot com
  • venkat23venkat23 Member Posts: 5
    Hi ,

What would be the best OTD price for 2009 odyssey ex-l with res & nav in Chicago area?
    Also, do we get tax refund for all new 2009 cars?

Appreciate your help !
  • moorthimoorthi Member Posts: 5
    Following are the quotes I received for EX-L with RES.

1. 27751 + TTL (8% tax + 168 title-license + 25 + 150 doc fee) + 399 (dealer package. This dealer pack is not optional. I have to take it which I was not interested)

2. 27717 + TTL (8% tax + 168 title-license + 25 + 150 doc fee)

3. 2990 + TTL (8% tax + 168 title-license + 25 + 150 doc fee) + Dest Fee.

Out of the above 3 quotes, quote # 2 had the least OTD price and I went for this one and bought my new car. Thanks guys!.
  • b747b747 Member Posts: 10
    Wow...22500 for 09EX? Very nice.
    Can you tell us who/where you get this deal? thx
  • minivan6minivan6 Member Posts: 2
    2717? I think you missed a number in there. Can you tell the dealership name and the correct price?
  • odyssey0909odyssey0909 Member Posts: 2
    Ourisman Honda serves people in the Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, D.C., Delaware, Virginia area. I live in Philadelphia. After reading a post on this board about a good price at Ourisman on a Honda Odyssey EX-L in April, I decided to give them a call. I gave the information to one of the sales reps. I gave him the information and asked him if he could match the price. He said yes. I directly asked him if that price included destination, (and about 6-8 times asked him this same question thereafter). He unequivocably said YES. We went over every detail of the price down to the penny of the OTD price. I then went on to ask about another level model. He said he needed to talk with his manager about that level (with DVD Res).

When he came back he had completely different numbers than he had given previously for BOTH cars. Seems that Ourisman automatocally adds on something callled a Protection Package for which they charge $995. When I said I was not interested in that package, he said that all the cars come with it. When I pushed him further, he said that all the EX-L DVD's have it and that they won't be getting any new ones, but that he could get a EX-L without it. We went back over the numbers again, and got back to the original price he had offered. We went line by line, again, and dollar by dollar, again, to get the OTD price. We agreed down to the penny. I said, OK, please send it to me in an email.

I waited on the line until he sent the email. He tried to get off the phone after he sent it and said I could call him back if I had any questions. I asked him to wait until I could verify that the email had the correct prices. When I opened it up, there wasn't a number in the quote for the EX-L that I recognized. He had gone about $50 lower in the "base" price, but then added on $670 for the destination fee that he PROMISED was already included in the price previously. So overall upped the price by over $620. AND, he added in the $995 protection package! I immediately pointed out his error. And he said, could you hold for a minute? Of course the minute turned to 15 minutes (my whole time with the dealership was over 2 hours) and he came back and said, "Yeahhhhh, ummmmm, my manager said no." Excuse me? "My manager said that because you're not buying the protection package I can't give you that price." I asked to speak to his manager. The manager basically told me that the salesperson had said he told me it didn't include destination charge. I said he was lying, and the manager said he would "talk to him". I asked to speak to the manager's manager, over the whole dealership. That manager basically said that he had worked with this guy for over six months and why would he have a reason to lie? And that he "believed both of us" and that he was "very sorry". So two hours later, I come up with nothing but a a sorry manager.

If you choose to shop at Ourisman, please know that they not only have salespeople who operate based on deception, but that this is condoned at the very highest levels. Make sure you ask about their Protection Package (also known as Appearance Package) and make sure that they have cars actually available *without it* if you don't want it (or don't want to pay for it). If you go in to the dealership, make sure they actually *show* you the car you will get, and that it doesn't have the Protection Package items included, before you start your paperwork and get socked. GET IN WRITING that the destination fee is included when you get your original quote - seems basic, and I was trying to do this, but when the rubber hit the road, they had lied about it. Get in writing the OTD (Out The Door) price in a quote - literally, as soon as they say it to you. Have them itemize every fee, every possible thing that you could be charged, in writing. Don't let them waste your time, lie to you and play with your emotions like they did mine. I hope my experience will help someone out... if you choose to shop at Ourisman, do so at your own risk.
  • moorthimoorthi Member Posts: 5
    Sorry about the typo. It's Honda of Lisle & 27717
  • odyssey0909odyssey0909 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have the following quote for an EX-L in the tri-state area.

EX-L : $29,150 OTD
    includes tax (7% Philadelphia), title, license (registration), destination fee, doc fees, wheel locks, pinstrip, mud flaps

I am going crazy - is this a good price?? I know that by going to Boston or Chicago I could get a better price, but is this good for my area? If I brought a Boston or Chicago quote to a dealer around here, would they laugh at me?

Please give input - need to make decision soon. Thanks!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    odyssey0909

Fisrtly I won't even spend time on the phone with sales people.
    I will mostly back and forth in emails.

Secondly, if they said their cars all have Protection Package, then I will ask them to trade one in from another dealer WITHOUT the protection package since not willing to buy this thing.

After I emailed at least 10 dealers and put all offers in spreadsheet to sort them out, then I will pickup the phone start calling the best offer. I will also keep contacting the 2nd best offer as a lifesaver in case the best one isn't working somewhere before signing the deal.
  • tdsblazertdsblazer Member Posts: 3
    What do you guys think of the price, this was the last price I got from shopping around here in my area.

Sale $24,438 with after mkt dvd 9.5in 2 hd/sets
    TAX $1710.66
    DMV $354
    DOC $199
    tire Tax 7.50
    Total $26709.16
    Hi Odyssey0909,

I think you need to deal with all dealerships in emails instead.
    I purchased at Ourisman Honda without any hassles.
    The salesperson I dealt with was the best salesperson I'd met so far.

The price quotes: you'll need to ask quotes from different dealerships in order to bargain with them (definitely in emails).

The salesperson I dealt with: Mr. Richard Sears (honest, enthusiastic, no gimmick). I won't recommend anyone else besides him.

I asked him for fixed prices (OTD) before I went purchased my new car both in emails and phones.

For protection package:
    Without having any pressure, I got it after I purchased the car (half price for overcoated protection) since I wanted my car to look nice and new all the time.

If you need references, ask me and give me your email. I'll forward you all the info.

Thanks!
  • toymomtoymom Member Posts: 3
    What is the right price to pay for a new 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L with res & nav in the Boston area? Is the price $29,500, with destination too low to ask? Thanks!
  • shumin1shumin1 Member Posts: 14
    I have been working on buying an Odyssey for the last few days via email, need your input for this offer, EXL at OTD $27,500. Is it good or the price could still be lower? Thanks, Sam
  • wolfzwolfz Member Posts: 1
    can you tell me dealer name or forward your quota to me? thx.
  • apatel2apatel2 Member Posts: 9
    Sure. Email me at patelanupam at gmail dot com.
  • springbokspringbok Member Posts: 13
    That is a very good price, I have been looking in Fl for the past 2 months the lowest quote OTD for EXL RES was 30,000 which roughly would be 28500 for an EXL. What county and dealership is your quote from ?
  • odysseyn0609odysseyn0609 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Odyssey0909,
    Can you please me let me know, from where did you get that quote? Can you please forward me the quote at odysseyn0609 at yahoo dot com

I am looking for EX-L with Res.

The following are the lowest quotes from couple of NJ Dealers.
    1) $30,656 (On The Road Price)
    2) $30,808.33 with wheal locks.

Thanks
  • jerry2009jerry2009 Member Posts: 2
    What is the right price to pay for a new 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L in the Seattle area? Is the price $26,500, plus Tax and Title/Licensing a right price to ask? Thanks!
    I did not get $27,500 for EXL because of some miscommunication. I am targeting at $28,500 now at Courtesy Honda, the Orlando area. They asked for additional $300 shipping cost on the top of my $28,500 offer because they need to get the color I want from a different dealer. What do you think?
  • nd1977nd1977 Member Posts: 12
    I have two quotes after a labored negotiation process.

Type: Odyssey EX-L with NAV+RES

Local Dealer in KY: 31250 + 500doc fees = $31750

St Louis, MO (will have to drive there and will be an out of state purchase): 30600 + 150doc fees = $30750

Should I go to St Louis and buy from them to save $1000 or will they play tricks and it will not be worth it? I would like to buy from the local dealer as the salesperson is very nice but the dealership is not willing to come down even a little after knowing the quote from St Louis. What are the pros and cons of an out of state purchase?

The cost to go to STL and back would be $150 at the max. maybe less. Local dealership is saying that all offers are off after June 30th.
    I would stay firm at at 28,500 and see if they budge( look online and see how many EXL's they have in inventory that will also give you a guide)
  • mosbournemosbourne Member Posts: 11
    Cannot comment specifically on your area, however, I am almost positve that every dealer pays the same amount. Last Wednesday, in southern California, I bought an EX-L with RES & Nav for $30,180 + $55 doc fee + tax & license. AND a $500 prepaid gascard thrown in.
    Thank you, springbok. My offer is almost final with that dealer. $28,800 OTD minus trading in = $25,100 for the color they will get it from a different dealer. I have to drive 2hrs to pick up. The online inventory might not be updated since they need to find a silver EXL for me, but their own inventory shows two on website. Are you still waiting for EXL with RES?
  • roadking_67roadking_67 Member Posts: 1
    Last night we bought an Odyssey EXL with RES for $29,288 in St Louis.
    That includes destination fee. Also had $214 in doc fees.

This was a first shot internet quote. Got quotes from two other local dealers that were comparable. Thought I got lowballed a little on my trade in.

Got 3.9% for 60 months finance.

Also (over)paid for 96 month/120K warranty. Got them to $1880 from original quote of $2500 but couldn't get them below. Even with online discussion.

Possibly a more patient negotiator could have done better, but I was generally satisfied with the overall deal given the other perks from the dealer.
  • suw_odysuw_ody Member Posts: 6
    I am planning to buy the Odyssey EX at the below rate.

OTD $25,300
    Doc Fee $ 587
    Title $21
    Tax 6%

Base price is at 23400
  • boofoo_2003boofoo_2003 Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping around for 2009 EX-L with DVD Entertainment and Navigation. The lowest quote I got was 30,988. Quote includes the destination charge but not the TTL. Is this a good price for northern CA? If I buy at quoted price, TTL will be 3,385/- (don't know dealer/doc charges) or should I look for a better deal. I am hoping to go on 29th of this month at the dealership. How much extra can you get the 7y/100k ext. warranty for? What kind of price do people pay for 3 year oil change/maintenance deal?

Has anyone recently bought the above config. in northern CA (San Jose area)? Which dealership did you work with that gave you the best deal?
    I am still waiting- trying to decide between the EXL and EXL RES, wife would like the RES, yet I'm torn between the extra approx $1500 and getting portable DVD payers /
    getting one installed aftermarket for $500 less. Good luck with your deal Sam, for the 28,800 see if they can get it driven up to the them or see if they will compromise $150 on the price if you drive.
    Why dont you try do the deal direcly with the dealership you are having to drive to,
    to pick up the car- see if they will bite on 28,400
    Looks 28,000 EX-L with DVD is looks good price so far. Only thing my delaer incresed APR 4.35% ( Altough I have good score) - it would force me to pay 6 USD per month. So for 60 months , I will end paying 300 USD more interest. But still overall price should be good..
  • mosbournemosbourne Member Posts: 11
    Your base price quote is very good. See my postings over the last two weeks for my experience with so cal dealers. I paid $30,180 base, but my 2nd best quote was $300 higher than your best quote. Watch out for padded pricing on doc fees and expensive upsell options during the finance/doc signing. Keep your guard up until you drive away! Examples include overpriced extended warranty & security alarm. And in your case specifically, the doc fee. If your tax rate is 8.75, your TTL fee seems too high. Doc fee should be no higher than $55, tire fee is $8.75, license fee should be approx $440 (my license fee was $433.) Tax is only computed on the base + the doc fee. Hope this helps.
  • dofastdofast Member Posts: 6
    $26700 includes destination fee. TTL is extra. New Jersey.
  • boofoo_2003boofoo_2003 Member Posts: 2
    Hello mosbourne: Thanks for your reply. The tax in my county is 9.25% (was 8.25% couple of months ago - Jeez) - Oh well - At least I'll be able to write it off on 2009 tax return. That explains a little high TTL - Actually, I calculated it myself using the DMV website calculator. I'll take the printout with me in case the dealer tries to pull a fast one. I checked that EX-L with DVD RES and NAVI has all the options I need (tow package would be nice but that can come later) so I'll be able to swing the upsell options with little ease (No, No and No :-). A few Questions:

1) Did you get the extended warranty - What is the good price for a 7year/100K miles ext. warranty.
    2) Did you get the free oil change/maint.?

If it's not too much trouble, can you forward your $30,180 quote to me ( my email address is boofoo_2003 at yahoo dot com. That will give me a good fire power in negotiation. I will appreciate it. Many Thanx in advance.