Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I don't know about the Audi (haven't checked our owner's manual close enough), but many cars have an automatic cutoff on the rear defroster after a certain period of time. If left on too long, the high heat of the defrosting coil against the glass with cold temperatures outside can set up intense strains in the glass (a poor conductor) due to the uneven temperature distribution. This does on occasion cause the glass to shatter.
  • pod1pod1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Audi A4 station wagon and have experienced a series of problems with plastic bits and pieces falling off from under the car. The first was the lower half of the front bumper which came off about 4 weeks after buying the car and the dealer wanted 1500 to fix. The latest problems were the plastic heat shield under the engine that came off while driving (slowly - fortunately) and the rear wheel-well lining that came loose. Interestingly, when we took the car in to Audi to have these last two things checked, the service manager was on the phone with another Audi owner whose engine cover had broken and needed to be replaced before it fell off. What I would like to know is if this is just bad luck or is this a common problem with the car?
  • sgldsgld Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced some of the same problems. The front bumper came off the first winter because it caught on a lump of snow when I was parking the car. This cost a fortune to fix. Then the heat shield cracked and was hanging down. The dealer told me it was because I hit something on the road and was therefore my responsibility. They wanted $450 to fix it. Does anybody know if there is a way to find out how often this happens? The dealers are not going to tell us.
  • schugwsschugws Member Posts: 2
    How to access Avant fender brake light bulb?
  • ad01ad01 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone been successful at getting Audi to help with sludge problem in their engine? My low oil pressure light came on the other day and I had my car towed into the dealership on advice from the dealer. I have an A4 01 1.8T and the service department states that I need to at least replace the oil pump. They have denied me for the extended warranty stating that I did not follow oil changing recommendations. They are disputing one gap that happened over 20K miles ago. Since that oil change 20K miles ago I have not had any problem until now. I am wondering if anybody has been successful with Audi on this “extended” warranty. Corporate has been no help to me so far.
  • jamminjammin Member Posts: 1
    Well, here is a weird problem. The Passenger Headlight was out, replace it, and now both low beam headlights don't work. Checked the fuses, they are fine, checked the bulbs, they are good. Any idea how both low beams would be out? Is this a computer glitch?

The car is a 1999 Audi A4 2.8

Thanks for any help
  • conallconall Member Posts: 91
    Isn't it required on these newer models to let the turbo cool down so that the bearings don't seaze? I always let my turbo cool down.
  • schugwsschugws Member Posts: 2
    To schugws by schugws

Remove tele communication sleeve. 'Multiple bulb fixture assembly' then accessable
  • jmnjmn Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the middle of dealing with the "sludge problem". Up to this point I've never had any complaints about the audi or the a4. This is my 2nd. But recently had the oil light come on and checked the oil and found no problems. Towed the car to the dealer. The notified me of the sludge problem which I had not heard anything about. They ended up replacing the oil pump and turbo on their dime which was nice. Drove it out of their parking lot, got about 3 miles and the check engine light came on again. Brought it back and they said the cam adjuster electrical component went and was completely coincidental and not under the warranty. Found this awful suspicious and brought it to an independent audi guy here in denver. He checked the component and found it working fine but then described to me that the cam shaft tensioner uses both the computer and oil pressure to function. His diagnosis is that the oil screen in the tensioner is clogged and will need to be replaced. So, to anyone who has this problem, there are many aspects of the car where this problem can manifest itself. Beware.
  • fishgreg1fishgreg1 Member Posts: 10
    Goodluck with the sludge problem. The same thing happened to my wife's A4 and they ended up replacing the whole engine, which sounds great, but we have had nothing but problems since then and now the car is out of warranty. The Audi mechanic claims that once they do switch engines sensor and computer related parts go out about 90% of the time and these are not covered if you are past your warranty, even though they replaced our engine for free.
  • cyberpmgcyberpmg Member Posts: 83
    That's why I worked on a deal to trade in my '02 A4 3.0 on a '04 A4 1.8T Ultrasport. It wasn't due to sludge, but the best anyone can guess is that the oil pump failed and the sensor also failed (I had no warning indicator show up). The failure caused a valve to stick and then drop causing a cam lobe to wear flat. The loose metal fragments surged through the entire engine core causing lots of gouge marks.

I had extended warranty, but the fine print stated that the failed part will be replaced with a similar used part of equal or less mileage. My car had 83,400 miles on it, so it wasn't too difficult to find a used engine with less miles.

They were able to get a used 3.0 engine, but I had too many unknowns about it. I didn't know where it came from. It was probably from a wreck, but I don't know how long the engine has been sitting in a salvage yard. I don't know how it was treated in the previous car... and many other unknowns.

On top of this, I've gone through a lot of system failures: 2 failed ignition coils, 3 catalytic converters, 1 headlight washer pump, 1 windshield wiper motor, 2 interior HVAC fan motors, and others. I can summarize the problems I've experienced as having purchased an early build of a new model design (built 08/01).

Fortunately, the A4s of late have been extremely well built and reliable (enough to get Consumer Reports "recommended" marking). When the old A4 was without problems, the driving experience was outstanding (the reason why I bought it in the first place). Now with a newer A4, I'm hoping for a longer run of reliability than before.
  • kittymckittymc Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I live in MA. I have a 2002 A4 Avant. About a year after I bought the car, I was driving down the highway in a rainstorm ( it was not particularly cold out) and I also heard a loud pop and my rear window shattered and fell in. I was about 2 hours from my home. I had to have the car towed back to my Audi dealership. They also denied that they had ever heard of this happening. I had to have my insurance pay for it.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    I just bought the 2005 A4 1.8 6M. I trully love the car, but I can stand the seat belt chime. Does anyone here knows how to deactive or override the system to stop the chimming noise.

Please help!!! its driving me and my wife crazy...we can't even have the car in a full stop, just sitting without having the seatbelt on.

Thanks gang,

R
    Yes, there are other 2005 owners who are complaining about this. Simply take it to the dealer. They will hook up their VAG-COM computer and set the option to have it turned off. They can also do some other settings that are worth it (auto door lock at 8mph, windows up/down via keyfob, and others).
    Thanks Cyberpmg. I did not know that the dealer would do that. Do they charge? or they will do it out of courtesy? Since I only have 512 miles, do I need to wait until my first scheduled service (5,000 miles) ?

Thanks again, you saved my ears!!!

R
  • gsnoddygsnoddy Member Posts: 14
    I'm helping a friend who has an 2002 A4 that she says has given her tons of problems. I'm not aware of the specifics, but it sounds like she has had almost weekly or monthly issues that have required it being back to the dealer. Currently has about 62K miles (I believe).

Can anyone point me to a location where recall notices are posted for this car? If she's had it to the dealer so often, it definately sounds like a lemon to me, but I also understand it has some miles on it....

Appreciate any responses...
    You don't need to wait for the first scheduled service. Simply take it in, and they should fix you up at no cost. Now, some dealers may not be willing to do this (adjusting factory settings), but most are willing to help. While you're at it, ask about the auto door lock feature (locks at 8 mph) and being able to open/close your windows using your remote key fob.

Best of luck!

Paul
    Audi has only a few items of recall on the A4. First, the ignition coils should be replaced with an updated version (as 2002 and 2003 models did experience ignition coil failures). If the A4 has the 1.8T engine, there's been a notice to have the engine serviced with synthetic oil instead of regular oil (to reduce oil sludge). Any other item would be listed as a Technical Service Bulletin which isn't normally viewable by the public (meant for service technicians).

Sounds like she may have an early build of the 2002 model. There does seem to be a situation where people who bought an early built 2002 model have encountered a lot of problems. It's not that uncommon for autobuilders to experience some problems during the first year of a new model design. 2002 was the first year of the redesign of the A4 (B6).

I had an early built 2002 A4 that also had a lot of problems. It was built in August of 2001. The build date can be found on a sticker placed on the inside door opening (driver's door, I think). Mine had 2 failed ignition coils, 3 failed catalytic converters, a failed headlight washer pump motor, a failed windshield wiper arm motor, and many other items. I had one of the thickest service record files on the B6 A4 at my dealer.

The final straw was a catastrophic engine failure that required an engine replacement. Something happened (possible oil pump failure and sensor failure) that caused a valve to stick, then wear down a cam lobe. The metal fragments from the wearing down of the cam lobe surged through the engine causing lots of nicks and gouges around the camshafts, pistons, and cylinders. I had 83,400 miles on it, but I had extended warranty. What had happened to me was viewed as extremely rare and unusual.

The warranty stated that the replacement engine should be a used engine (not new or rebuilt). Since I had no history on the replacement engine, I worked a deal to trade it in and get a Certified Pre-Owned 2004 A4 1.8T with the Ultrasport package.

I've heard very strong reliability from 2003 and 2004 A4 owners, so it looks like Audi was able to correct the problems that were encountered from the early 2002 builds.

Since her A4 is beyond the OEM warranty (ended at 50K miles), there's nothing that can be done about declaring it a lemon (usually only happens during first year of ownership and low miles - check local state laws for more info).

I understand the frustration she's going through. Hope this helps!
  • witsendwitsend Member Posts: 2
    Count your blessings. Purchased my '98 A4 1.8T new and have adored it. Three days ago the engine seized, seconds after I exited a very high-speed expressway. Audi says it's a result of oil sludge buildup, but won't pay for a new engine because I've changed the oil as recommended in the Owner's Manual (7500 mi intervals), but not the Maintenance Booklet (5000 mi intervals for that engine only). During the 3-yr warranty period when I had service performed exclusively at the dealer, the mechanics never once used the Maint. Booklet to document service. So I never looked at it after the first time, and completely forgot that it said anything different than the Owner's Manual about oil change intervals. (The OM says change the oil at 7500 miles intervals, and consult the Maint Booklet for more detailed info about maintenance. It doesn't say to check the Maint Booklet for info specific to my engine. Nor does it say, anywhere in the manual, that some information may not be accurate for some vehicles.) Audi concedes that this is the only instance in which the Owner's Manual is not accurate for all varieties of A4, but they still say it's my fault.

They apparently sent a letter to owners in August 2004 about this problem, but I did not receive it. (The letter also referenced the Owner's Manual, not the Maintenance Booklet.) And I had the car in for service at the dealer last month, and nobody mentioned this potentially fatal problem (although they did mention some other recall issues that came up recently, which of course they didn't have time to fix unless I could leave the car with them for a week before Christmas). If I'd known, I would have done whatever necessary to resolve the problem before destroying the engine, and fought about the cost later. As it is, I'm looking at many thousands of dollars for a rebuilt engine (a new one would cost more than the car is worth).

The dealer told me they've had six or seven "oil sludge victims" come in so far, and I'm the first one for whom Audi has denied the extended warranty coverage.

I'm outraged, frustrated, frightened (by what could have happened on the freeway), and grief-stricken because I really love this car!
  • witsendwitsend Member Posts: 2
    Oh, yes, I forgot to mention....at no time did the oil pressure light or the check engine light come on. They both came on when the engine seized, but not before.
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I would talk with somebody high up at the dealership and see if they can help you with Audi and also I would use the "Lawyer" word with them - be very nice and let them an Audi know that you followed the OM etc.... and if they can not come up with a solution then you will be forced to follow up the courts even though this is not what you want but they leave you no choice. You may also want to look at some consumer groups for help. Kill them with kindness and apologize to the dealer if you need to pull him into a lawsuit and or negative publicity because they did not do there job in informing you about this problem.. I bet if you do that in a kind manner the dealer maybe able to get Audi to change their mind.

Good Luck!
  • a4leasea4lease Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me as well, on a '96 A4.

-A4lease
  • mirandamaymirandamay Member Posts: 1
    i was wondering if anyone had any of the following problems with their audi - i have browsed through some of the previous problems and didn't see anything on them

1st of all i had an oil leak, however there was never any oil light or indication of any problem except for the oil puddles everywhere i parked. i took in to the dealer where it took over a week for them to fix. they replaced some gaskets and other things they claimed were causing the problem. they also cleaned hoses and such. my car still had an oil leak when i picked up. i took it back and they finally fixed it. this time i was told it was the cooler filter seal?

that was 2 weeks ago. this week (only 300 miles later), along with the constant smell of burning oil my car emits, my climate control is malfunctioning. my econ light will not turn off. the dealer says this isn't that big of a deal and they scheduled service. i was wondering if either of these things have happened to anyone else. also - has anyone else experienced an esp problem? the day after i bought my car-my esp light would not turn off- i had to service it immediately something do with my all wheel drive or abs or both?

any help would be greatly appreciated - i only have 300 miles left on my warranty and im getting very scared by the way i have an a4 1.8t quattro
    I have the same problem with my new 2005 A4 1.8. Was the dealer able to fix the problem.

This morning my ABS light will not turn off and the ESP light is still on. I turn off the car and the ABS light went away, but the ESP light is still on.

Let me know, what the dealer told you.

Thanks
  • drinnandrinnan Member Posts: 1
    My cigarette lighter hideaway in the center console is stuck in the hidden position. Seems that the lighter itself has popped out while down there. I have tried to slide tools down between the casing and the lighter to try and pop it back in but nothing is working...Any suggestions?? please!
  • rdkayakrdkayak Member Posts: 5
    My husband is currently shopping for new tires for his Audi A4 1.8T 2002. I've had to do this for my car and had so much help here on Edmunds. Anyone out there suggest an all wheel tire. We are in CT so we get all types of weather here in New England. Town Fair Tire was trying to sell him Toyo's...they try to sell everyone Toyo's. Any suggestions for good traction/price, etc... would be a great help. Thank you!
  • lindenclindenc Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I do have quite a wonderful problem. It would seem if the alarm goes off the car randomly lowers one of the windows on the car. Flaw you might thinK!!!, perhaps even problem!

No to the Audi Garage I brought the car off. It's a feature' it's what it's suppose to do (believe it or not thats a quote).

When I point out whats the point of an Alarm if it's going to lower windows to the person trying to steal/get access to it, they start getting angry.

Any Ideas?
    I would recommend getting a second opinion from another Audi service center. I've never heard of the windows randomly rolling down when the alarm goes off.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I have experienced the exact same problem on my'00 A6 2.7T. The driver's door lock "fell apart", even though always use the remote to open the door. One or all of the windows would come down, the alarm would go off, even unlocking the doors!

The dealer installed a new driver's door lock, unfortuneately with a new key. Consequently, the ignition key and the door lock are different, hasn't been a problem as long as the "remote" doesn't go dead!

Repair was mostly covered under extended service plan, total repair cost about $700!
  • lindenclindenc Member Posts: 2
    I'm talking to Audi UK (centre), the dealership are just useless.

This is the truth the dealer I called said it was a feature' that the windows come down when the alarm goes off.

I should be taking it into another dealership/grown up after Audi UK Centre gets back to me. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • suprasupra Member Posts: 3
    Yo:

I have a 96 A4 Quattro as well... humming sound rear left started and before I could get it into the shop sounds coming from right rear, different noise alltogether. Both were bad wheel bearings. Spinning the wheel while on the lift doesn't duplicate the wheel speed while on the road.
    Robphats:

I have a 96 A4Q that I have had since about 36K miles. I have over 70K now. Have had to do wheel bearings on rear, lower control arms front, thermostat, one bad rear spring, brakes all the way around, power steering pump loosing fluid as we speak, one ABS sensor - all in the span of about 2 1/2 years. This particular car didn't get much use early on, sat around alot. Still what I would consider a considerable amount of maintenance. I love the car though.
    Read on - quite a few comments about faulty control arms - that likely is your creaking noise - especially at slow speeds while turning.
  • fcaofcao Member Posts: 31
    I'm considering to by a 2005 A4 1.8T

But I found a series of discussion about how people should be prepared for a normal turbo engine to fail at high milage, say 80K. I found that discussion in Volvo's forum. But sounds like it a common concern for all turbo engines. Can any give any insight about:

whether it's true that is a common concern for turbo engines? and Why?
    The only concern with the 1.8T engine is that it's highly recommended to have the timing belt and water pump replaced every 60K miles instead of what's listed in the owner's manual (much higher mileage). There are many happy Audi owners with the 1.8T engine who have well over 100K miles on them.

Stay on top of the routine maintenance (and use synthetic oil to avoid oil sludge problems - that can kill the engine), and it should perform well for you for many miles. =)
  • nyaudinyaudi Member Posts: 25
    On 2005 3.0 model, my rear-view dimming seems to not be doing much after 3300 miles. But when new, it seemed to be fantastic - was so easy on my eyes and really worked well. I have power at the mirror, and I assume the light sensor is just to the right of the mirror power switch? Back shelf is clear - wondering if anyone else has noticed problems over time with these? Any way to test conclusively if it's working or not?
  • squid_sissquid_sis Member Posts: 4
    I'm having issues with getting the Homelink to recognize my Genie garage door opener. I've followed the directions and get the confirmation of the parking lights flashing so I know the system has gotten a signal, but it still won't open my door. Any ideas?
  • zerlinachzerlinach Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my A4 99. Yesterday I finally took it to the dealer who said they would try to pry it but it would probably break. THey estimated a cost of $113 to replace it.

I've had the same problem with my trunk -- which got stuck shut last week. Ugh.
  • rcmrcm Member Posts: 5
    The AM reception is horrible in my '02 A4 1.8T Avant -- any station beyond about a 10-mile radius is drowned out with noise and static. The car has the standard head unit. I believe this is a common Audi complaint, but the dealer said it's just the way it is. Anyone have any experience troubleshooting/improving their reception?

Thanks
    RCM
  • rcmrcm Member Posts: 5
    I was unable to get Homelink to work after I recently replaced my 10-year old garage door opener. I believe the way some newer door openers handle signal frequency is incompatible with Homelink. Sorry I don't have more details, but I know in my case there wasn't a work-around.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    The AM signal travels on or very low to the ground. FM actually travels at a higher altitude. From my experiences in the past being a mobile electronics installer. When you have bad AM there isn't really alot you can do to boost reception. If you google a search for AM boosters you'll find a range of aftermarket products. I've used a few in various cars and IMHO none have made a significant gain or any for that matter.
  • p05p05 Member Posts: 5
    My Car does not respond to the gas pedal on occasion, then the Car lurches forward. Sometimes it seems to be bogging down. The Dealer keeps cleaning cleaning throtle body. But this is not fixing the problem. It Feels like transmission problem. Any ideas? solutions
  • soriarsoriar Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 2001 A4 1.8T. The first 0.5 seconds it seems that the engine "hesitates" before acquiring the applied gas with the pedal. It might be either transmission (complex, expensive to fix, might need tuning). In my case it was the injector cleanup needed. Try the STP fuel injector cleaner at local Walmart and add to the fuel tank on every oil change.

Anyone has additional info on this problem?
  • vdnvdn Member Posts: 1
    Does your garage door opener (the actual unit, not the remote) have a learn button on it? For my car, (2005 A4 w/homelink) you program the same way that you had described, in doing that, it teaches homelink to send out the correct signal. However, you still need to have the garage door opener unit to learn this new signal.

So I would check the garage door opener unit, usually there is a button on there, you press it, then go press the homelink button in your car (after it has learned the remote signal)

Hope that helps
  • lappy63lappy63 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Audi A4 Turbo 1.8L, and I have started to feel some vibration in the steering wheel and it tugs a bit (slightly) on the wheel at times. If I am driving at a slower speed (20-30 mph) and I let go of the wheel it vibrates and tugs back and forth about 1/4" or so. I can feel the vibrations in the steering wheel and in the front/wheels as well. At faster speeds I don't feel the vibrations as much. Any suggestions or ideas as to whats behind this before I bring it in?
    I have a 2005 (B6), A4, 1.8 6M. I took delivery on Jan 11, 2005, it is now March 10 (only three months) and 3,450 miles and the brakes are starting to squeak like crazy. Even crazier is the fact that I took it to the dealer today for some other reason (ABS and ESP light came on and stayed on), and the service manager told me that this noise is "normal" and that it happens in all the cars.

I own a 1994 Toyota celica which I bought brand new in 1994, and a 1999 Jimmy, which I both two years ago and none of those cars ever emit those squeaking noises.

My question to the group is, did any of you guys experience the same problem with your Audis? and do your other cars (if applicable) emit the brake noise that the Audi service manager says is "normal" on every car?

Thanks for the feedback.

R
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Is the noise only at startup? Could you describe it better?

The A4 does have a noise at startup that sounds like you ran over a soda can. It is normal and it's related to the ABS system pressurizing.

Any other noise such as a squeal when stopping or gently braking is not normal and should be fixed. There is no excuse for noisy brakes.

JR
  • taxman10taxman10 Member Posts: 59
    Not a big deal but has anyone noted the dealer's failing to prep the stupid tires?
    I got two new cars a couple weeks ago from my local dealer.
    The Allroad had 39 lbs F and 41R.
    The B7 A4 had 37F/R
    I had noted a real floaty, almost disconnected, road feel and got curious.
    Both of these were measured on a digital guage and when tires were stone cold - sitting overnight garaged at approx. 40 degrees.
    I assume the factory loads them up expecting an average lag time until delivery and some leakage. But this is not something that should go unchecked.
    Other than that, all was in order.
    Just sounmding off.
    rowlandj.....the brake noise comes at start, but oddly enough it also happens after I drive the car for a while (even after a 25 miles commute).

The sound is like the pads are worn, but I know that could not be the case as it is a new car. Like you describe it, it is a squeal when I apply the brakes.
    The service manager told me that it has to do with the weather conditions (cold). I will wait until spring and if it does not go away, then i will give them a piece of my mind.

R
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    The weather should not matter. The brakes heat up rather quickly regardless of the outside temperature. They need to clean the brakes and apply anti-squeal compound and they should do it now. No OEM brakes should squeal at any time.

I would not wait and tell them in a nice way that you don't buy this line of BS.

JR