Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mootown2mootown2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I've been unofficially shopping for an Odyssey from about 5 months (since I found out my wife is pregnant with #3). I've really gotten into the last week or two in terms of actually talking to salespeople and dealers. I don't live in/near a metro area so my prices are not as good as some of the ones I've seen on here (some have been quite helpful reads - thanks!) My numbers are "close" but not exact.

I think I'm down to two options:

Certified 2006 EX-L RES/NAV 20,000 + tax/fees (about 57-58k miles)

with the amount we plan to put down and a quoted loan rate of 5.69% for 60 months, this one works out to around $225 a month - we don't really care about navigation but the car is still one of the better deals that I could find on a certified car in my search radius

New 2009 EX-L RES 30,000 + tax/fees

at the advertised 3.9% for 60 months, this one was going to be $400 a month - salesperson was as honest and fair (relative to the stereotypical car salesman) and seemed to work hard to get everything lined up to get in the car for about $400/month - which was the most we said we were willing to pay ... after calling them back a day or two later and saying we just couldn't afford it, I got a call from his manager today offering to "manipulate" or "work" the numbers and extend the loan out to 72 months to get the monthly payment to get it down to just below $350 per month - but wouldn't get specific about a new selling price for the vehicle - which tempts me to offer them 28k and see if the price magically lowers a bit more to get comfortably within our budget

at nearly twice the monthly payment, I agreed with my wife that a new car wasn't worth it ... but now that it's potentially $100-$125 more per month instead of $200 - it's getting harder to resist trying to argue that the extra expense is worth it (less miles, power liftgate) ... I don't want to be a payment buyer on the new car, but I also don't want the initial cost to scare me away from the overall value

the matters are complicated a bit by the fact that the new car would be through the closest thing I have to a "local" Honda dealership - the certified car was found using the internet and has been negotiated completely by phone to this point -

anyone out there who's been through something similar or has any thoughts based on their own search?

thanks
  • jpfnjpfn Member Posts: 6
    I almost bought ours from there on 6/26. On Friday, they quoted me 26914 for the Honda EX-L over the phone and via internet too. I called Community Honda and asked them to price match or better and they ended up only giving me an extra $100 off but I was happy. Did you EX-L have res or nav, my did not. Seems like that dealership was giving good deals that weekend.
  • jpfnjpfn Member Posts: 6
    Sanccucci Honda- just google Sanccucci Honda extended warranty. If you buy it online, have to pay in full. These online dealears are in law suit that they lost but the suit is still open (Honda doesnt want warranties sold online and won), but Honda will still honor any warranty purchased before the law suit closes, which has not happened yet. I called Honda care direct to make sure this is legit if I purchased it. Most finance guys will play dumb but they know about this and mine tried to lie about the reason of the law suit but when i told himthe correct facts I read online and discussed with Honad care over the phone, he immediatley lowered my warranty price, after I already signed and purchased the car on Saturday and is sending a check crediting the difference to my account.
  • lyaolyao Member Posts: 71
    Hi jpfn,

We wish to find out whether or not you financed thru the dealership. Are you sure the dealership is gonna send you a check for crediting the difference to your account?

We bought our minivan EXL RN early May together with extended warranty from the dealership ($1495 for $0 deductible/8 years/120K miles). At that time, we even shown the online printout from the web for Saccucci Honda, but the dealership still charged us for $1495 after the pricematch.

After we found out the rep had cheated us for $260 extra for that warranty (she told us there's normally a fee associated with this purchase online). We backed up the contract with the dealership within few days. But the dealership
    said they won't mail us any check for the refund since the paperwork had already mailed out to American Honda Financing Center. There's nothing they could do about it! We did a 2.9% financing for 36 months. So, the only differences would be: monthly payment would still be the same, but we'll get to payoff our loans possibly in 34 months or so.

Let me know further detail info. Thanks!
  • transam_1transam_1 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I also were comparing the purchase of a 2006 vs. a 2009. We ultimately went with the 2009. The 2006 was cheaper, however it also has less "life" left. We typically drive a car up to 130k, assuming both vehicles are worth 7k at this ending point, the cost per mile was about 8% cheaper on the new vehicle (includes extra cost of financing larger purchase price). My suggestion would be to compare the two vehicles based solely on the value, then compare the payments.

Also, get the final price from the dealer and do not purchase solely on a quoted payment.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    For the passing month of June, Honda sold 11.8% more Odysseys than they did in June 08. They are doing good. They may scale the incentives back. Toyota on the other hand sold 39.1% less Siennas than they did in June 08. They for sure need to ramp up their rebate. For those waiting for that "better deal" on the Odyssey, the current offers may be just that.
  • mohanpmohanp Member Posts: 26
    FXGuy you seem like a Dealer or a Honda Representative to me :)
  • adam2104adam2104 Member Posts: 3
    I just thought I'd throw my recent purchase onto the list here. My wife and I just picked up an '09 EX-L RES from Crown Honda at Southpoint in Durham, NC, for $28500 + taxes / fees on 6/30/09. The final price worked out to about $29700 out the door. We financed for 60 months at 3.9 %.
  • technoztechnoz Member Posts: 34
    just got a quote for a touring no pax price is $1200 more than June price. :( Really hope there is a good july 4th deal!!
  • technoztechnoz Member Posts: 34
    Just got a reply from dealer saying july 6th they will know if the $1000 rebate will be back.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Neither. I was somewhat considering an Odyssey purchase myself.
  • njfamily1njfamily1 Member Posts: 2
    Purchase date: July 1, 2009
    Dealer: Freehold Honda, NJ

WORTH CALLING FREEHOLD HONDA, BEST PRICE IN THE REGION, SMOOTH PURCHASE EXPERIENCE

Had a fairly smooth purchase experience. Started with phone call to internet sales on Monday. Lady was pleasant and easy to deal with. Provided out-the-door pricing without any fuss. Price was best compared to other dealers in NJ/PA area. Within range of the low end of prices posted in this forum. (Sorry, I would rather not give the exact price to make it fair for the dealer. Anyway, you should shop far and wide before pulling the trigger. Regional supply and demand should determine the price.)

Went to pick up the car on Wednesday. Very nice sales guy. Helpful and not pushy. Other employees were also pleasant. Had some back and forth about pricing, but they honored the out-the-door pricing the internet sales person offered.

Before going to the dealership, I was sure to get email confirmation of the pricing. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE TO GET THE OUT-THE-DOOR PRICING IN WRITING BEFORE YOU GO TO THE DEALER.

I was not interested in financing, though it was offered several times with different pitches. Can you blame them? That's a big revenue source for any dealer. But if you want to finance, know how it works.
  • glengarryglengarry Member Posts: 6
    I live very close to the border- Fort Wright. The dealer was Century Honda- in Montgomery. I was a little surprise they said that. I am going to ask the dealer when I go back to pick up the accessories they owe me. But it all seemed kind of strange what they were telling me. On top of the fact that they were $10 off on the tax calc... 28153+250doc fee=28403 at 6% tax is 1704.18, not the 1714.18 they took.
  • pimpafellerpimpafeller Member Posts: 6
    Philly area resident here. Not terribly happy with the deal I got on my vehicle, but the dealer had the color we wanted, I was tired of shopping, had a trade-in that was not in the best of shape, so I rolled over more easily than usual.

I paid $ 27, 249 for the vehicle, which by my best guess is roughly $500 - $750 more than the lowest of prices I have seen on the board. Anyone have a feel for whether this can be classified as a very good, but not great price?

Or, do I need a hug to make it all better.
  • userliteuserlite Member Posts: 16
    Any idea on which day the 4th July deals come in ?
    That price is right inline with that I was getting from dealers here in the Raleigh, NC area. The lowest I got them down to on an EX-L was $27000. Highest I got was $27227.

Pretty good deal if you ask me.
    I think it is not bad at all considering that they have taken away the 1000 incentive from Honda Corp

I called Anderson in Palo Alto- Bayarea one of the biggest in the area for EX-L. They said 27000 no way I am not sure WTF is going on
  • khanectionkhanection Member Posts: 20
    i've read so many different places of '09 EX-L going for $26,500 including destination. I worked with Hillside Honda via the internet and they agreed to this price. When i went in the manager tried to sell it to me for $33,000+. Hello? And they wouldn't come down and i walked out and away...
    So you won't share sales price? It's fair to the dealer i think because they will have an out of state customer (like myself from NY) go and take a car off their lot...
  • springbokspringbok Member Posts: 13
    Sorry about that, not too sure about the answer to your questions, but I do know the dealer typically wants you to drive the car home once a contact is signed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    That's weird.. I've bought at three different Cincinnati Honda dealers (including Century), and never had to do any of my own paperwork.. They just called me when my (KY) plates were in, and I went and picked them up.. Not to mention, a few other non-Honda dealers..

I've heard Century has been sold, and the new owner is moving it to Kings AutoMall... Not entirely sure how accurate that is, though...

I lived in Ft Wright for six years.... I'm still only about ten miles from you, now..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think you got a good deal, even in South FL competitive markets having e-mailed numerous dealers 2-3 times over the past 2 months only a few dealerships gave competitive quotes (and when trying to get other dealerships to beat the prices they said they were unable to match it.
    The best OTD prices were 29 600 for EXL and 30 900 with RES. We e-mailed again
    on 6/29 to see they would bite on the end of month deadline and got a lot more call backs bringing prices down a little to 29 300 and 30800 respectively. (have a 6% or 6.5% tax rate)
  • glengarryglengarry Member Posts: 6
    Yes- very weird. Tonight I went over there, I asked for them to clarify and I got an incredibly confusing answer after the sales guys checked with their managers.

They said that they mixed it up because dealers have a choice on which way to calculate and take the tax- one way was to just take the purchase price offered and take 6% of that, the other was to take 90% of MSRP and then calculate 6% of that? So they went back and forth on that I guess and that's how they came up with different answers. So whichever is lower?

So I asked them to give me the worksheet that I signed that showed the details. They said they would dig it up tomorrow and get it to me because their office was closed right then.

I guess we'll see when I get that. They were very nice people, everyone I dealt with- so I hope they are not being so nice because they are screwing something up here.

You are correct on them moveing to Kings Automall- they say it will give them more traffic... they have the same owner as Performance Honda now. They supposedly have friendly competition. They tell me Performance is #1 on volume, Century #2 in Cinci.

Could you dig up any of your old paperwork by chance and see what fees/taxes missing- does my previous posted detail match?
  • justpeachyjustpeachy Member Posts: 1
    Adam2104, so glad to read your post! I called Southpoint Honda today to negotiate a deal on an EX-L RES. We stopped by a dealer here in VA (on vacation) and was quoted 31,300 with add'l $100 charge for wheel locks; and we decided to call up Southpoint to see if they could beat it. The salesperson I spoke with said they were "all over" that deal, we weren't getting a good deal, etc. Then I surfed around and found this forum and this post. Voila!

Bottom line, we hope to pick up a new van on our way home from VA tomorrow (Friday). Your post along with others on this site have proved extremely helpful; I will definitely get an offer in writing via email before we scoot over to Southpoint tomorrow! Will update on how everything goes later.... ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    That's true about the KY taxes on new cars.. Absent any sales paperwork, the state charges 6% tax on 90% of MSRP. If you can document a lower selling price, then they will tax that amount.

I don't have a Honda, anymore.. but, we used to drive two of them, and I used Century for all my service, because it was convenient. I've actually bought more cars from Performance, though.. Both dealerships have been pretty straight shooters.. One of my former salespersons is actually the GM at Performance now..

It just seems strange that they don't do the legwork for you... but, it's not that big of a deal. If I remember correctly, there is about $80 in total registration, temp tag, OH title, inspection and KY title fees. If you are doing the KY work yourself, you'll probably have $25-$30 in fees along with the sales tax.

If the dealer collected the tax from you, they should cut you a check for the amount they collected and give it to you, along with the Ohio title. Just make sure you have the window sticker and the bill of sale document when you go to the courthouse. It's possible that KY won't recognize a bill of sale (for tax computing purposes) that isn't on the official KY form. In that case, the window sticker will be necessary.

As long as the dealer gives you a check for the amount they collected from you, then you can't lose... the tax is whatever it is going to be, even if they calculated it wrong..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• shumin1shumin1 Member Posts: 14
    I did not get any call from them since then. I got email as an evidence that $27,500 is OTD price. They cheated on me and my fault is sign the paper without reading carefully. Are you still shopping for RES?
    $27,200 is in line with what *most* people are getting. i can't even get $27,000 now... hope you feel better :)
    Glad to hear it! Be sure to post back on how things went.
  • oldsmobuickoldsmobuick Member Posts: 2
    Locked in on a 2009 EX-L..the dealer had to go to Kansas City to get my color/interior combo but didnt charge me extra. Price is 28045 which includes all fees except for OK taxes. How did i do? I pick it up on Monday.
    This assumes the Honda Discount of $2500 (which ends on 7/6/2009) and
    the Dealer Holback of $575 to $800

LX $21,573
    EX $24,313
    EX-L $27,582
    EX-L w/DVD Rear Entertainment System $28,996
    EX-L w/DVD Rear Entertainment & Navi $30,940
    Touring $34,077
    Touring -with PAX $34,607

Please Advise: have not received yet a deal on the EX or EX-L in Bay Area Emailed about 12 dealers
  • zingdale007zingdale007 Member Posts: 3
    mohanp, which delaer provided the above quotes?

I received quote from bay area dealer for EX-L w/DVD Rear Entertainment & Navi $31,000. is that a good price?
  • cleverstarcleverstar Member Posts: 23
    Hillside honda sucks. They cheat and lure buyers by playing such games. They deserve bankcruptcy. Such a shabby site, poor sales, no advantage at all over other decent dealer site.
    I did finally buy an EXL, decided not to spend the extra $1500 for RES.
    Purchase price was 29200 + title.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    I dealt with Hopkins Honda in Sunnyvale. Prices in the Bay Area are a bit higher than other areas since the incentives may not be high. Honda of Serramonte also had very aggressive quotes, perhaps because they had a sales quote to meet before June 30. The dealers with the largest inventory seem to have the best quotes.
  • mootown2mootown2 Member Posts: 2
    talked to dealer one last time to see about a new Odyssey ... final offer $29,400 + taxes, fees, etc. for 2009 EX-L RES ... and extending the length of the loan to get the payments below $350 a month for 72 months

we went with the certified 2006 EX-L RES & Nav for $19995 + tax, fees, etc. ... $225 a month for 60 months - other than a hidden fee in the loan of about $200 that the dealer hadn't mentioned when they said they got me financed at 5.69%, I had a great experience picking up the car - they did not even try to sell me anything extra and the whole process including the test drive only took around an hour -- I highly recommend University Honda in Bowling Green, OH for people considering a Honda in northwestern Ohio and neighboring parts of Indiana and Michigan based on my experience - it might even be worth the drive for others (van had a little over 57k miles on it by the time I got to my driveway)!

I didn't think I would care about the navigation but spent 5 hours driving home on roads that I'm not very familiar with - I think I'm going to love it
  • shumin1shumin1 Member Posts: 14
    Congratulation on your new EXL. Just like you said, it is tough to get a good deal after June, regretting a lot about missing the $28,800 OTD from Courtesy Honda. Hopefully there will be some new deals coming up.
  • mama2girls2mama2girls2 Member Posts: 6
    For those of you getting good deals (26,500-27,200), did you have a trade in? I was hoping to contact dealers and try to get this price for a 2009 EX-L, but I'd also like to get a good deal on my trade in:) I'm hoping for 14-15K (or 13K) for my 2004 EX-L with 49000 miles. I'm now wondering if people only got these great prices b/c they "gave away" their trade in. Any feedback? I'm hoping to tell some dealers (by e-mailing quite a few) that I'm willing to trade my '04 and pay 11K-13K OTD...is that unreasonable? Thanks!
  • iceman9iceman9 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All -

I wanted to confirm what everyone has found to be the invoice price for the EX-L Model with Freight included (Destination Charges) when speaking with Dealers.

Edmunds Shows - 30,745
    Consumer Reports - 30,745

The dealer I went to in Georgia said the invoice price was 29,645 which included Freight. I am not complaining it's lower but wanted to see if this could be possible and if anyone knows why this could be quoted more than $1,000 lower that what Edmunds and CR shows. Seems strange. Any thoughts?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Honda Incentives Hit Record High,
    Toyota May Follow
    July 2, 2009

Honda Incentives According to Edmunds.com, Honda spent an average of $1,686 on incentives for every car sold in June.

This was the third month in a row where Honda raised incentives spending with last month being a record high

On the flip-side, domestic manufacturers such as GM and Chrysler may be cutting incentives spending in future months due to a decrease in production.

Toyota, on the other hand, is in a tough situation which may force it to follow Honda's lead and increase incentives.

Toyota spent an average of $1,362 on incentives per vehicle sold in June. We predict this figure will creep up in the coming months.

Toyota built several manufacturing plants in the US over the last few years on the false assumption sales would be healthy. That hasn't turned out to be the case.

Unlike GM and Chrysler, Toyota can't just shut down these plants. They don't want to lay off their workers since that would ruin Toyota's image as a generous US employer.

So it looks like Toyota is going to be producing a lot more cars than it can sell. The only way to move these cars is to raise incentives. Look out for higher rebates and better financing deals from Toyota over the next several months.
    I got a trade in that was in the middle not terrible, but not great. Paid 29200
    OTD in FL (6.5% sales tax)
    These are very very base prices from CReprts.. Dealer wil not go below this price withiout the hidden incentive they have of 1000 1500 whihc got over in June 30.
    Locked in a EX at 24250...Bay Area
  • oldsmobuickoldsmobuick Member Posts: 2
    Heading over today to pick up a new Slate Green/Olive EX-L (no RES, no Nav). The dealer had to trade with a dealer over 300 miles away to get my color choice. We agreed on a OTD price of $28,045 plus Oklahoma tax which i think is pretty good given the transport cost. This is without any duscussion of a trade-in. I will let the dealer look over my trade and make me an offer, if i dont like it i will just sell it on craigslist or autotrader or the paper, technology makes it too easy.

So, how did I do? Please give me some feedback since this is the first "new" car i have ever purchased. I will post agian after we sign the documents so i can let the board know how everything went.
    i was quoted $28,170 which includes destination but not documentation, tax and dmv from a dealer in NJ. i then had Hillside Honda in Queens price match. They took a deposit and i'll meet with the finance manager today. i hope he doesn't play games because i'm not going to pay $1 more - i already feel a lil bad since people have posted about $26,500 including destination...

Also - i'm buying the APR so i'll pay the entire APR up front and have 0% - religious restrictions against interest.

i'll post when i pick up the EX-L Ocean Mist.
  • odysseysearchodysseysearch Member Posts: 4
    Found out 2010s due out this month. I saw last year on this board that when the '09s came out the '08 EX-L Odysseys went for only $1000 more than the EXs.

I was hoping to get this same deal. Has anyone had any luck yet getting such a deal or am I just dreaming?

What about price cuts in general given may have to get rid of '09s to make room for 2010 stock?
  • odysseysearchodysseysearch Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering about anyone in the NY areas experience with particular dealers. I did some price shopping so far and came up with the best prices at Nardy in Smithtown and Huntington Honda. Anyone have a horrible experience with either one? Are there any better ones to deal with? Where are you getting your best prices?

Thx.
  • caligirl7caligirl7 Member Posts: 1
    Do you mind telling me which dealership you went to?
  • jbakker11jbakker11 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 09 Odyssey EX-L R+N model and the sticker price was $37,525 and Manager gave me $31000 without tax is this good deal I am in NJ.
  • JJamiJJami Member Posts: 8
    Got '09 Honda Odyssey LX for $20,300+TTL (Jun 30th '09) in Connecticut
    14 Miles on it..
    Total came to $22,002

:)
    It is not a dream really, this year but before June 30 people got this for .. 26600...the lowest I saw in these forums. Tommorrow if Honda announces 3500 rebate instead of the 2500(which expires today) than it may be possible to get it at 26750 I believe,

The problem is that Most of the dealers have run out of EX Odys , the next ones are the EX-L to go..