Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti SUV Owners: Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• markqx4markqx4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 QX4 with 103,000 miles that still runs great. I recently took it to an Infiniti dealer to have it serviced in which they suggested I get a 60,000/120,000 mile service which cost $700+. I was told that everything that I would need up to 120,000 miles would be taken care of, including timing belt and fuel induction service. After the service was completed the work order only showed basic services like oil/air filters/ and spark plugs replaced, and no timing belt. They also suggested a few other services like brakes and alignment. When I asked them about the timing belt they stated that replacing the timing belt is not included and needs to be replaced at 105,000 miles which I am nearing and costs $500 more.

So my question is, if supposedly the timing belt wasn't included then why didn't they suggest it since it definitely needs to be replaced. Were they hoping that it goes sometime in the future so I can bring it back to them so they can charge me thousands!

Does anyone have an estimate of how much these services cost? And should I dispute the costs and services they claimed they did? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • msmarkimsmarki Member Posts: 2
    I JUST BOUGHT A '02 BURGUNDY QX4 IN JULY 2005. I LOVE IT SO FAR. I THINK I'VE MADE A BOO BOO. I TOWED A CHRYSLER NEW YORKER.ABOUT FOUR BLOCKS (WITH ROPE) AND NOW THE CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT HAS BEEN ON FOR 4 DAYS. WHAT SHOULD I DO. ALSO SHOULD I BE USING PREMIUM GAS. IVE BEEN USING REGULAR
  • rspencerrspencer Member Posts: 63
    Did you figure out what the SES problem actually was? I might be able to help. Bob
  • rspencerrspencer Member Posts: 63
    Did you determine what problem the SES light was about? Bob
  • msmarkimsmarki Member Posts: 2
    HI BOB I HAD SCAN DONE AT AUTOZONE. IT WAS CODE P1450 AND P0021( CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR). CAN YOU HELP.
  • qx4nokqx4nok Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the board but have been reading the posts about the SES light. I have a 97 QX4 with 95k miles and the light just came on...again. First time it happened was in 03 w/ 75,900 miles. The diagnosis from the dealer was a faulty TPS switch ($760.00 parts & labor). Since my SUV was running perfectly, I asked what symptoms I should be experiencing, but choose not to replace the part. Two weeks later the SES light went off; two weeks later it came back on; this happened a few more times until the light no longer came back on; all the while my SUV ran beautifully. Today the light came back on and my SUV is still running like a charm. Should I just ignore the light again in hopes it will go away as before? If I disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, will it reset the computer that is giving me a SES light? (I had a Maxima with he same erroneous problem, which was corrected by a 15 minute battery disconnect.) I'm open for suggestions before I take it to AutoZone for a system check. Thanks!
  • beccavbeccav Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 QX4 with 70k miles and now I'm getting a "bottle whistling noise" when the car is idling...once the rpm's increase it stops. The mechanics can't seem to diagnose the issue, so I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem...no engine lights are coming on and it doesn't seem to hamper the performance, but it is annoying, and I would like to get it fixed before it does become a bigger issue.
  • koblixkoblix Member Posts: 8
    I have a 99 QX4 with 96k miles. My SES light just came on over last week. Should I bring my QX4 in for a service. Any advices would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • fx35chickfx35chick Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I had the same prob with my cd player and called the dealer and they ordered a new one instead of trying to fix the current player, they replaced it free si nce it was still under warranty... no prob's since ... :)
  • fx35chickfx35chick Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I was just wandering if anyone knows how to protect the headlight covers (lens) from getting a cloudy/hazy film on them from the inside...Im thinking its from the sun but any thing to protect it? :confuse:
  • dlacombedlacombe Member Posts: 1
    I'm curious about the total weight of whatever it is you tow with your QX-4. My wife and I are looking at a 2003 QX-4 and want to pull our 3500 lb. Starcraft travel trailer. We currently use a Ford Escape. It does the work but has never seemed happy about it. Thanks for any information you may want to share.
  • curt9curt9 Member Posts: 3
    Last summer I had to replace the mass air flow sensor in my 98 QX-4, a pricey little item. Now my new sensor is behaving the same way as the old one did. Occansionally during idle (idles at about 750 rpm - is this low?) the sensor will act up and the car will not idle or run rough and stall. The check engine light will come on and the error is the mass air flow circuit. If I get out and wiggle the plug on the sensor it will behave normally again. I replaced the plug and that was not the problem. I find if I tap on the sensor it will either fix or cause the problem. I worry that two sensors should behave this way inside a year and wonder if there might be another problem that is causing them to fail. Anybody have any ideas?
  • emodqx4emodqx4 Member Posts: 3
    Hey buddy, funny thing i just fixed the same problem on my qx4. Now there is product call headlight repair kit. its about 30$$ and it works follow the instructions and you will be surprized. its like 1100$ for a new light. Think about it.'
    good luck
  • emodqx4emodqx4 Member Posts: 3
    Hey i just got mine changed at the dealer. holy cow is it ever expensive for that part. Its all good under warenty, but it went bad agian. So im doing it agian. Hopfully it was the part bad. has anybody had the same problem? What did you do?
  • mike209mike209 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if it is difficult to change a headlight bulb on this model? Is it worth the $120.00 the Dealer wants? (plus the $300 for the bulb)

Thanks
  • tafretafre Member Posts: 1
    To clear the cloudy headlight film, go to Pep Boys and purchase their McGuires Plastic Lens cleaner @ $4.99 per bottle. It makes them look new in seconds. A friend, and theInfiniti parts manager told me to about this. Also, Pep Boys sells a lens cleaning polishing kit that goes on a drill made for plastic lens and it cost $9.99. The McGuires worked so well and effortlessly, I took it back. Hoehn Infiniti, Carlsbad, Ca uses a 3M plastic polish on their cars for lens detailing, but I do not know the exact name. New lens and headlamp assembly unit cost $504. each of the G35 retail.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some people use gel fluoride toothpaste on their lenses. :shades:

Healing Hazy Headlamps
  • qx4playqx4play Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    My name is Dave, and I own a 99 QX4. I live up in New Brunswick, Canada where we are currently getting TOO MUCH SNOW! If somebody from the south could send up some warm air to melt this stuff, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Last month my wife flipped the QX4 over after hitting black ice at 115 KM/hr. We're all fine, but after the repairs are done, the body shop cannot find a rear spoiler to replace the one broken off in the accident. Apparently they are no longer available? Is there an aftermarket replacement?
    Great site. Thanks for your help.
  • milkmonkeymilkmonkey Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    My name is Tim Fitzgerald I live in San Diego California. My Wife drives our 2002 Gold OX4. It has been an out standing car that get's used every day sun or light breeze. This is the first problem we have ever had apart from routine maintenance and some light bulbs.
    What is happing is when we come off the freeway and come to a stop the brakes become soft to the point that you want to pump the brakes and the engine races too about 1600 to 1700 rpms. This happens for a few seconds and then the vehicle recovers and will then drive normally. Brake fluid is at the right level and I have no waning light to indicate a problem. Has someone ever experienced this before or has any idea of what could be going on? I would appreciate any input or direction.
    Please drive safe everybody. :confuse:
  • lgillisonlgillison Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 97QX4. That's right...recently purchased an eleven year old vehicle. I had heard so many great reports about the vehicle that I started looking for one. I had a 98 Toyota RAV 4 and was looking for something a little larger. So far, and it has only been a few days, I like the vehicle.
    Question: How can a get my hands on a maintance manual? And when should I change the timing belt?
    Thanks,
    Lee
    Maintenance manual? As in factory? Here's some links:

Online Repair Manuals

If you just need an Owner's Manual, try Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online.

Otherwise, eBay is probably your best best unless you want a Chiltons or Haines.

How many miles on your "new" QX4 btw? (and congrats!).
  • justnice5justnice5 Member Posts: 2
    check out ebay you can find every thing for your qx4< :shades:
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Do you guys think an x5 4.4i would be better than an fx45 offroad, or vice versa?
    If any of you own either of the cars itd be great if you could share any offroad/snow experiences youve had with them. Im looking at buying one or the other, and i want one that handles great, but is still somewhat rugged and can do some light offroading (ive been to bmw driving school in spartanburg, and i know that the x5's are pretty capable vehicles)...im just not sure of how they compare to the infiniti fx45...?
    Thanks so much
  • 6infs6infs Member Posts: 6
    My name is Michael and I'm on my 2nd Qx56 04 & 08. I just love them. If given a chance I would slap the sales person and dealer for the 08, I will never go back.

I love the manufacturer, I have have/had 2 - I30, 1 - I20 and 1 QX4. Great experiences with the cars and dealers, except the 08. It is hard not to love the 08 Q
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard, Michael! We're looking forward to your continued participation in our Infiniti Forum.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • benzrigbenzrig Member Posts: 7
    Got it to about 95 mph when she was about six months old and that plastic shield flew off. The first of many plastic shields. Now days if I take the car over 45 it dies of wait that's an overstatement. If I start it these days it will die.
  • 6infs6infs Member Posts: 6
    all of a sudden when I start my 2008 QX56 it beeps 5 times. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this. The manuals kind of hint around lights, beeps and chimes, but they don't list anything specific. I have searched the web and looked at the recall list. I can get used to the noise, I just want to make sure it isn't trying to tell me something important.
  • n2itmann2itman Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 01' Qx4 for about 5months now and i absolutely love it! with 106k it still looks new inside and out. awesome little 4wd. thinking about making it rugged with roof rack, brush guard and more agressive rubber.
  • einsteinjseinsteinjs Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2011
    Hi!
    My name is Joseph. My family has owned our 1999 QX4 since late 2000. It was recently passed down to me and ofcourse I have always wanted it. The one thing I have to say about my infiniti is that it is one of the best cars you will ever purchase. My QX4 has 248,000 miles and still, for the most part, runs smooth. Ofcourse With the time, there have been repairs that need to be done, but it has been the most reliable car we have ever owned. I recently had problems with the transmission and shocks, but other than that, its great! I would expect that from any car over 200,000 miles. When i come up with the money, I will purchase another one with less miles. I can always rely on my QX4.
  • ga_2001_qx4ga_2001_qx4 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought at 2001 QX4. It has 104k miles on it and it looks brand new on inside and out! It has a smooth ride and the only thing I have noticed so far is the light behind the clock is out and I am trying to find out how to change it. So far, I am in love :)
  • dylan451dylan451 Member Posts: 3
    They are not too difficult except for the passenger side which you have to remove the battery. Find a D2S bulb on Ebay for a fraction of the price of the factory bulbs and wear rubber gloves, disconnect the battery since it is high voltage and make sure you put the clips in correctly on both sides of the bulb. It's about a 45-60 min job.
  • kiamnani2001kiamnani2001 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a 2000 qx4 truck that i drive an hour to work and back home for 5 days a week. I am trying to find out how I can get better gas mileage out of it. I am putting a total of 300+ dollars in gas each month, via the 12-14 mpg I am getting. I am doing mostly highway driving. I do have over 350,000 miles on it though and i do like the truck and do not want to part with it, but it is killing me in gas. If anyone has any ideas of what I can do to improve the mpg, please let me know. If not, I do understand.....Thanks!!!
    Get rid of any extra weight in the truck, check your tire pressure frequently (and maybe add a few psi to the recommended psi on your label on your door jam, without going over the sidewall maximum) and you may want to experiment with different gas to see if any savings make up for any extra price. Try pure-gas.org to find a station if you want to try ethanol free gas. It's more expensive but your mpg will likely be better.

The biggest factor is to not drive aggressively but that may not be possible on a busy commute without causing road rage. :shades: