Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Could it be The ABS system woking properly?
  • Options
    rsalvisrsalvis Member Posts: 1
    Wow - I have the same problem, but I haven't gone back to have it corrected. Based on your experience, however, having it replaced may not solve the problem. If anyone has a permanent fix, let us know!
  • Options
    stantonb1stantonb1 Member Posts: 51
    Thank you. I replace the brake fluid and transmission fluid once a year. The brake system was bleed when the fluid was replaced. My mechanic uses PYROIL DOT 4 by Valvoline. I contacted Toyota and asked whether replacing my master cylinder with a new Toyota master cylinder since Toyota insists mine is performing up to specifications and installing Silicone fluid would void my warranty and the service advisor said it would not. If this will not correct my problem with a soft mushy pedal I won't consider it and go to the expense.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Thank you for the advise. We are conferring with attorneys and seeing what course of action we should pursue. The service managers at both Toyota dealers (Champion and Faulkner) are aware that children ride in the car. We will also take your advise and write to Toyota.

We are not going to stand by and let Toyota get away with not correcting the problem.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    It could be the ABS system - that would explain why it doesn't happen regularly. However, it was more a steering wheel vibration than other ABS vibrations that I have experienced. In other cars I've had with ABS you could feel the vibration coming from the brake pedal, not the steering wheel. Maybe the Highlander is different. Since I can't duplicate it I haven't taken it to the dealer, but I am on the lookout for it to happen again so I can get a better handle on what is causing it. It didn't seem to affect the braking performance but it gets your attention, which is consistent with what happens when ABS engages.
  • Options
    dmoyerdmoyer Member Posts: 27
    Ref msgs # 584,1440,1442,& 1446.
    STEERING VIBRATION while braking at 70 mph by dmoyer, msg 1439

My only experience was on a hot day, long time running at +70 mph and then had a sudden but not panic breaking sequence. At first the steering wheel vibrated back and forth what felt like the front end out of alignment, lasted just several seconds, released the brake, braked again, less noticeable and then shortly afterwards felt no vibration after the third time. Continued to drive for several hours and no problems. It was scary at 70 the first time. Felt nothing from the brake pedal. The question is how do you pose the issue to Toyota if you can't demonstrate it!
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Haven't I seen something recently that says that Toyota and Lexus both have some sort of automatic brake pressure regulation?

In my 01 AWD RX300 I often notice a distinct "throbbing" when on wet pavement and slightly downhill. I have always assumed that it was due to this pressure regulating system trying to achieve equal braking on all wheels simultaneously.

No slippage between tire and pavement but one or two wheels tending to slow faster than others and the system slightly releasing pressure on those to equalize all around braking.
  • Options
    sdanderssdanders Member Posts: 37
    stop can be resinous and metallic deposition from pads and other build up that gets on the rotors during normal driving...the extreme heat of the hi-speed stop burns it off and then the brakes work fine. The rotors and pads get real smooth again..Warped or out of parallel rotors would continue to give a shaking feeling. Have had this happen on my Acura as well...I am a real moderate driver and brakes last me for 50K or more...Periodically, just perform a controlled burn off and then you won't be surprised at the wrong time. My HL has 48K on it now and the pads are like new
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    You described my experience exactly. I did the same thing you did and all was ok after that. Explanation in post 1449 makes sense, but there is no way to duplicate on call for the dealer and not sure how they would fix it. It is scary, but apparently not dangerous if you don't panic.
  • Options
    wainwain Member Posts: 479
    you would think the dealer could see this stuff on the discs?
    If its gone and the problem is gone then don't go to the dealer?
  • Options
    dmoyerdmoyer Member Posts: 27
    Ref: msg 149 Vibration as noted with a single hi-speed by sdanders.

Thanks for your insight. Makes sense under the conditions that I experienced.
    I'll remember your "Periodically, just perform a controlled burn off" next time.
  • Options
    thoonthoon Member Posts: 74
    Is it normal to have tiny white particles floating around in the coolant fluid? Can it be replaced under warranty? My car only has 25,000 on it.
  • Options
    rugby65rugby65 Member Posts: 81
    Have you added any anti freeze since you bought it? If so you may added a brand that's not compatible with whats in it.
  • Options
    I didn't add anything. I got an Express Lube Plus at my local dealer last month and they over filled the tank, so when I opened the reservoir to remove some of the fluid, I saw a bunch of small particles in the tank and lots of dried crusty fluid on the tank and on the cap.
  • Options
    knobelochknobeloch Member Posts: 2
    My check engine and VSC light also came on after an oil change and air filter check by a non-Toyota mechanic. I went to Edmunds and figured out the problem was a discounnected vacuum hose on the rear of the air cleaner box. I had already made an apt with Toyota to fix it, but instead went back to the mechanic that caused the problem. and I asked the mechanic to reconnect the hose and clear the error lights. He reconnected the hose and hooked his code analyzer machine to my car to clear the error codes. It took all of 3 minutes and cost nothing. I am sure Toyota would have been glad to do it for their normal diagnostic fee. Another way to clear it is to reconnect the hose, then disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes.
  • Options
    knobelochknobeloch Member Posts: 2
    Has your ABS light come on when it got below zero like mine? Its a computer module problem that Toyota knows about, but hasn't made a recall on it. They fixed it for free, but took a week to order the part. If your vehicle will never be in sub zero weather, don't worry about it. If it will be, then get it fixed because you will never know when the ABS system is failing or just having a computer problem. I have a 2002 Highlander but know someone with a 2003 with exactly the same problem so apparently Toyota hasn't fixed it.
  • Options
    I typically used OEM style pads on brakes...on my Acura they were asbestos-free organic pads (not semimetallic). One guy I know suggested using semimetallic pads to agressively keep the rotors clean. I now use Bendix OEM pads which are 20% metallic vs. most semimetallics at 50-60%. I get the benefits of organic pads (quiet, good cold and wet operation) and semimetallics (resistant to heat failure and shorter stopping distances under hard braking). You might try something like this.
  • Options
    I was berated by Champion Toyota, Phila., PA for installing Bendix thermo-quiet premium semi-metallic asbestos free severe duty brake pads with sound insulators. All I know is that I no longer experience abnormal brake noise like I had with the Toyota pads. Using the semimetallic pads leaves my rotors clean.

Still disgusted with Toyota's response to my problem with the brakes on my Highlander and find their response that brakes are within manufactures specification as is master cylinder totally unacceptable. Am filing an incident report with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and discussing situation with an attorney.

Could really enjoy my Highlander if I had more confidence in the brake system.
  • Options
    lulugaalulugaa Member Posts: 8
    Ref. Msg nos. 1256 thru 1263.

There was some confusion recently regarding the 2000# hitch installed on recent 2004 highlanders. My highlander was built in May 2004 and came with a 2000# hitch ( Part no PT22869025 ). After checking with Toyota and my dealer's customer service, I found that the original rating was correct and that Toyota had a new 3500 # hitch ( part no PT22869045 ). I replaced my original hitch today with the 3500# version. It is identical in configuration but has heavier gauge material. I feel much more comfortable with the greater capacity.
  • Options
    transmission. Normally the shift quality has been very smooth and the engagement/disengagement of the O/D the same. However, the past few tankfuls of gas have noted a sharp decline in mileage (from about 21.5/22 down to 18.5/19....first times ever under 20!) that seems to coincide with several other symptoms...harsh engagement of engine braking when suddenly lifting foot off the accelerator when cruising at constant speed of 50 or so. The car shudders or acts like it clunks instead of just slowing down without any physical feeling of harsh engagement. Same thing if you accelerate quickly from closed throttle, it clunks as you engage the throttle instead of just smoothly ramping up engine speed. It doesn't always do this though. I have also noted that power seems down too and it requires more downshifting to maintain speed if on Cruise and a slight hill is encountered. Feels like something going on with the lockup or shift solenoids or maybe torque converter clutch (or the ECM that is giving the commands). No warning lights or codes. The car is a 2002 V6 with 48K miles on it. Tranny fluid was drained (at least the sump was, about 3 qts.) and refilled with T-IV fluid recently. This was done as PM not as result of problem. Anyone else going through this? Will take to dealer, but you know how these intermittent problems are treated!
  • Options
    was the hitch dealer installed/ maybe dealer choose the lighter one
  • Options
    lulugaalulugaa Member Posts: 8
    The hitch was factory installed and supposedly the only hitch available at the time.
  • Options
    02hl02hl Member Posts: 8
    I have an 02 LTD FWD and looking to upgrade to an 04 LTD AWD. The moonroof switch has changed. My 02 has a one-touch open/close/tilt. The 04's have a manual (hold the button down) switch that is very confusing to determine if it's fully closed or partially cracked open. Holding the button to close too long would go directly to tilt without stopping. Am I using this wrong? Does anyone else see this a a huge annoyance? If it weren't for this one thing, I would definitely be trading for one. I'm hoping there's something simple about that I (or the salesmen) don't know.

Thanks!
  • Options
    secondrigsecondrig Member Posts: 21
    There was an earlier discussion of this problem. If you (and the dealer) check the owner's manual, you'll find instructions for initializing the moonroof to set the one-touch open and close. Apparantly Toyota hasn't done a very good job of informing its dealers, because neither my dealer nor the mechanics knew about this! I just traded an 01 for an 04 and love it!
  • Options
    eastern1eastern1 Member Posts: 7
    See P. 34 of the 2004 owner's manual and follow instructions to initialize moonroof as if the battery has been disconnected. Indeed, and of course, the moonroof should operate with "one-touch" operation. My dealer didn't know about this either. There is obviously a lapse in communication or vehicle prep for something so important, but easily fixed, once you know how. I've read about the same issue for the Lexus RX 330 as well.

Now that we've removed your final excuse, go for the trade! We love our '04 as well, now 9 months in to it, no problems.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    I myself am completely happy with my '01 LTD and wouldn't dream of trading it so soon for another HL -- stick with the '01 - '03 'classic' model line and save yourself a bundle!
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    " stick with the '01 - '03 'classic' model line" LOL. Classic??
  • Options
    Yea. Classic!! As in rock-and-roll, apple pie and the '57 Chevy!

Some members on this board may not be aware that, although the Highlander was introduced in 2001, there was a minor redesign commencing with the '04 model year. The changes of course were few, consisting of subtle enhancements to the exterior body panels and some interior trim color differences. If you're an '04 owner, don't worry that these changes were merely cosmetic and solely implemented by Toyota to attract new customers to the Highlander and increase its sales. Revel in your purchase; hold your head high on the freeway, and enjoy your brief elation with your presumed superior vehicle. We 'classic' owners will quietly take pride in the distinction of knowing that we own an 'original.'
  • Options
    akat2000akat2000 Member Posts: 4
    "subtle enhancements to the exterior body panels and some interior trim color differences"? Are you intentionally ignoring the only change that is worth mentioning, 3.0L to 3.3L V6? That is quite a difference (and I am not talking about the minimal change in hp).
  • Options
    I own one but these cars are kinda bland
    not exactly XKE level cars
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    And..the 5 speed automatic trans, and availability of the 3rd seat, small and useless as it seems to be reported to be... haven't seen one.. I have the '03 non-limited V6, and loving it!
  • Options
    dv8erdv8er Member Posts: 8
    Hello Toyota owners!

I've recently looked at a new Toyota Highlander. Having never owned a Toyota (yet), I am curious as to the common repair "quirks" that are typical of the brand.

I currently have a 1996 Chevy Monte Carlo (which I hate, I might add) and am tired of poor craftsmanship and expensive minor and major repairs-not to mention crappy styling. I realize that no brand is immune from repair, but I would like to know some of the more common repairs to get a general idea for what I'm really up against.

I've also heard about the upcoming hybrid model, but my dealer claims they have no info. Does anyone know the expected price increase and what trim levels they will hybrid first?

If you would like, please contact me off-list at: shootvideo@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Back in March I mentioned that you couldn't pull up the rear wiper on my '04 Highlander more than an inch or so above the glass. We discovered that this was a change between '03 and '04.

A couple of days ago I discovered that there is a little plastic piece at the base of the wiper that covers the bolt that attaches the wiper to the vehicle. This plastic piece is easily removed. Once it is removed, the rear wiper will lock into place at a 45 degree angle off of the glass, just like the front wipers.

Knowing this will make it easier to replace the blade, but it's not something I'd want to do each time I clean the rear window at a gas station. I'm still puzzled about why Toyota would have made this change.
  • Options
    a screw up by a vendor.
    is your HL US/Canada or Japan made?
    Mine is Japan - can pull the wiper off about 4 inches (but not at 45 degrees)
  • Options
    The most common repair "quirk" about Toyotas is that they exhibit great reliability and don't need to be repaired very often.

My first experience with a Toyota was when I sold my '73 Chevrolet Vega and bought an '83 Toyota pickup. The Vega was notorious for always breaking down, whereas the Toyota pickup never broke down, save for replacing the water pump a couple of times and an oil seal in the 21 years I've owned it (see my profile).

Great things about Toyotas:
    1. I've almost forgotten what the inside of a repair shop looks like.
    2. I'm almost hoping my car breaks down just to inject some excitement into an otherwise mundane reliability experience.
    3. Can't use the excuse of my car breaking down for being late to work any more.
    4. If you plan to drive your Toyota into the ground before buying another, take heed; your car may outlast you.
    5. Reason Japanese cars in the 'early days' were notorious for water pumps going out at 100K miles: in the early days most American cars never made it to 100K miles. (Of course, that's changed in the last 20 years, thank goodness!!)
    6. Without the hassle of dealing with broken-down cars I have too much spare time on my hands.

The Highlander may not be quite as reliable as the '83 pickup judging from some of the posts here, but my experience with it has been excellent. Only problems I've encountered are a glovebox rattle and side wind noise, both of which were fixed by the dealer under warranty via TSB. Other known quirks are somewhat cumbersome shiftpoints with the transmission on V6 models, buffeting effect with rear windows only rolled down (exhibited by many other vehicles and easily alleviated by cracking front windows), wheel baring noise, warped brake rotors, and vibration from engine transmitted into passenger compartment. Except for the last two the problems are very minor and usually easily addressed by dealer under warranty; some of these known problems may have been corrected on more recent Highlanders (havn't heard anything about side wind noise and wheel baring noise in a long time). As for the last two these are more serious but the prevalence of these problems (percentage of Highlanders afflicted with them) is not readily ascertained from the posts here.

There may be one or two quirks I may have forgotten, and I'd encourage you to scan all of the posts in this discussion for further info.

In general the Highlander is an excellent vehicle; very few are disappointed with their purchase, and I wouldn't let reliability or fear of repairs dissuade your decision in any way in this instance. I wouldn't hesitate buying another Highlander if I was in the market for another one!

The hybrid is expected to cost perhaps $3000 more -- supposed to be available early next year but with a long waiting list expected, but may be worth it if this is what you want; there's a separate discussion on the Highlander Hybrid that you should check out for more info.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Is yours an '04? Does the rear wiper lock in an "out" position so you can clean the glass underneath the wiper with a squeege?

Mine was made in Japan. Other '04s at my dealer have the same rear wiper set-up, and another poster tried some '04s on a lot in his area and found the same thing. If yours is different, I wonder if maybe a bunch of them came through with a defective black plastic cover.
  • Options
    04 - yes
    japan - yes
    the plastic cover on mine will snap off.

when it is off the wiper arm will tilt out all the way and lock at 45 degrees.
    the cover has two tabs that hold it in place. It also has a locator "pin" that goes down beside the wiper arm, that causes the interference and keeps the arm from coming out more.

Sounds like a design screw up to me. I am tempted to cut the tab off.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    maybe to keep dirt and grime out and reduce the wear rate??
  • Options
    for looks - covers up the nut that holds the wiper on
  • Options
    Thanks, wain. I'm tempted to snap off the pin, too.

Would the design with pin possibly add strength to the wiper arm and help keep it from sagging under the weight of ice and snow? I wouldn't think so, but it's the only thing I can think of to explain the design if it isn't a design screw up.
  • Options
    flboaterflboater Member Posts: 2
    My '03 Toyoya Highlander Limited V6 Automatic makes a humming sound in the engine compartment when the key is placed in the ignition but not turned on. Car has been at the dealer three times for a toal of 15 days. The dealer, on the advice of Toyota techs, replaced the ECM computer, then a solenoid in the transmission. After all this we were told "this is normal" !! I have listened to several other like vehicles and here no sound. Has anyone out there experienced this?
  • Options
    My car makes the same humming sound. Never had it checked out though.
  • Options
    mpgmpg Member Posts: 1
    My new 04, V6, 4WD, highlander is getting about 12 mpg and has a severe hesitation when accelerating from very slow speed. A dealer said this was normal. I disagree. What do you suggest?
    Matt
  • Options
    do you live in san francisco?

Mine in mixed driving gets 19.5 - 20.5
    26 at steady 65 with air on
  • Options
    flboaterflboater Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply about the hum in the car. It may be normal, who knows? You would think that Toyota engineers would know if it is or isn't before they replaced all these parts. We were finally told that it's a small pump that circulates oil through the transmission so it won't start dry. I've talked to many mechanics and they have never heard of such a thing. It doesn't seem to affect the operation of the car.
  • Options
    dv8erdv8er Member Posts: 8
    I have one last question and I need some very honest opinions from those of you who drive your Highlanders on more than just blacktop and concrete.

I'm curious to the true off-road capabilities of the Highlander. Granted, I do not expect this to be a rock-hopping Jeep Wrangler or Hummer H2 (If I needed that type of vehicle, I'd buy one), but I'm interested in it's ability to navigate on non-paved surfaces and muddy/gravel/remote roads and trails that are moderately-to-lightly demanding.
  • Options
    jrhjrh Member Posts: 6
    Close to purchasing a HL. Test drove the v6 and performance was fine. Just read that the v6 requires premium gas while 4 does not. Premium gas could add up over time.

Are people using premium in the v6?

Also, does anyone consider the 4 cylinder 4x4 to be under-powered?

Was set on the v6, but the 4 cylinder may be less expensive in the long run. I do not plan on towing anything (just a wife and two growing boys.)
  • Options
    loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I have a 4 cyl FWD, usually me and my wife and the baby. I think it drives ok, just like a normal "car".

I think some people who drive the v6 think the 4 cyl is under power. I really doubt that the v6 has that much power anyway. They are just numbers and in order to get to that number, we are talking about hitting 5000-6000rpm. How many people really drive their car like that?

The best way for you to decide is to take the whole family to take a test drive. Test on both 4 and 6 on the same route and you can make your choice. Also, if you want to keep the car for long team, yes, gas price is a factor too.
  • Options
    ectrimmectrimm Member Posts: 2
    It's beyond me why you cannot let the back windows down without opening part of one of the front windows. Nor can I open the moon-roof fully without having a window open. This is obviously a design problem. The vibration is so bad that I cannot leave the back windows down!
  • Options
    bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Most SUVs have this "Quirk", SUVs are not aerodynamic vehicles, what your feeling is wind drag, nothing to worry about, buy a car if you can't deal with it.