Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mike368mike368 Member Posts: 5
    i have a 01 hl 24000 miles .average driving no towing .i treat it well i had an repair shop change the tranny fluid it was very dirty not burnt it took 30 quarts to flush out the fliud using a machine made for tranny fliud changes before it was a nice pink color i used toyota fluid bought at the dealer any ideas the dip stick and the manual say dont change the fliud under normal conditions any one else see this on their hl ? i noticed it by wiping the stick on a clean white cloth .
  • surfingtomsurfingtom Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2004 Highlander LTD and discovered that I must hold the sun roof close button and then let go when I think it's closed properly or it continues until it flips open from the rear. My manual states we need only press the button once for it to close automatically, but it does not work. I dropped it off at the dealer for service only to have them later tell me that Toyota changed how it closes in the 2004 models and it is no longer automatic as the manual stated. I find this hard to believe. It is impossible to know when it is properly closed and one time water leaked in and stained the roof.
    Can someone please help?
  • stantonb1stantonb1 Member Posts: 51
    I also have a 2001 Highlander V6 4X4. I have 30,000 miles and as preventive maintenance had the automatic transmission fluid changed. The transmission cooler and lines, torque converter, valve body and all internal parts. The vehicle was road tested for engine performance and transmission operation and shift patterns. Everything is fine. My transmission fluid before the fluid change was never dirty. Transmission has always worked well. My Highlander has had perpetual problems with the brake system. Personally I believe that changing the transmission fluid every 30,000 prolongs the life of the transmission. Incidently I have my brake system fluid flushed every year too as preventive maintenance.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    First of all I want to say it's been a very, VERY long time since I've posted here.
    KarenS was kind enough to help and assist me in getting my last Honda CR-V meet up and running. (Yes Karen, it's been that long) But I've moved on to a new 2004 Highlander Limited and what a difference from a CR-V. Our child decided she need the CR-V for college. :)
    I got an excellent deal on the Highlander and so far, couldn't be happier.
    My question is this. I have the JBL stereo system with 8 speakers. Where are 7 & 8 speakers? I know there are 4 (2 in each of the front doors) and 2 (1 in each of the rear doors) Hmmm, can't seem to find the other 2.
    Thanks folks and it's good to be back!!
    Regards..........Mac
  • shebiesshebies Member Posts: 1
    I've had this problem recently. I noticed that both tires on the drivers side were bald on the inside. I only have 32,000 miles on my 2001 Highlander. The combination of the two could possibly mean that I need an alignment, but I don't believe the tires should have worn so quickly. I thought they'd last me a lot longer. I have had so many other problems, both rear windows, water pouring in on passenger side floor, horrible smell, in addition to the most recent bald tires, vibrating steering wheel, that I traded it in today. Very disappointed in the Highlander! When I had my window problems (twice for each window), I contacted Toyota's headquarters and they totally blew me off.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Hey there! Good to see you back in TH. :-)

Post #950 offers an explanation of speaker location. Put that number in the post search.
  • mike368mike368 Member Posts: 5
    what is the cabin air fliter bracket number? thanks!
  • lyoulyou Member Posts: 1
    The hesitation is indeed a safety issue and I am somewhat glad that I am reading this problem on this site. I thought, perhaps it was just my imagination. My daughter, who is a recently new driver, has experienced this herself and I am frighten that one day, this split second hesitation will cause a major problem for her or for anyone else behind the wheel. Please go on www.nhtsa.dot.gov to register your complaint. Please begin a writing campaign to voice your dissatifaction about this problem to managers and go up the line of command to draw attention to this safety issue problem. I will do some more research and will post my findings.
  • lamontbondlamontbond Member Posts: 15
    We both seem to be at the same point on our vehicles, I just got my 4100 mile oil change. I am pretty sure that the maitenance light is for the 5000 mile maintenance which is simply rotation of tires change oil and oil filter and visual inspection of the brakes. It seems odd that they scheduled an oil change at 4100 and 5000 miles but i think that is the answer to your question.
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    I thought the oil change requirement to maintain the warranty was every 5000 miles or 6 months
    on 04 model
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    You're right, wain. I had mine changed at 4100 only because I planned to do a lot of driving shortly thereafter. Also, I guess I was reluctant to stretch out the interval much more than this since I still remember when manufacturers recommended the first oil change at 1000 miles....
    toy used to say 7500 which contributed to the sludge isssue
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The letter I got indicated that the sludge issue had nothing to do with the regularity, or not, of oil changes. They said that a small design change was made to the engines to alleviate the problem on future products.
    some of the 7500 mile people "forgot" to change the oil and in those cases they then had 10k or 14 k oil change intervals!!!!!!.
    thats one reason Toy moved the change interval back to 5 k
    04 Hl- 2000 miles
    4 times now I have had a loud pop sorta from the upper passenger side front windshield area.
    really a sharp "clack" noise like a rock hitting the windshield. but no rocks and not near any traffic - sounds like something too tight in the windshield frame or maybe even roof rack??

am I hearing things??
    And where, other than a dealer wanting your money, did you hear that the recommended oil change interval had been changed to 5k miles??
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    <<And where, other than a dealer wanting your money, did you hear that the recommended oil change interval had been changed to 5k miles??>>

In the owner's manual of the Tacoma and Highlander I just bought.
    Toyota and Lexus changed the engine design to prevent the sludge problem and then advised the owners of the newer vehicles with "fixed" engines to use the 5000 mile oil change interval but never advised the owners of the older problem engines to do so?

I suspect, strongly, that you're somehow misreading your owner's manual.

BTW the recommended oil change interval for my 01 Porsche C4 remains at 15,000 miles.
    my salesman gave us this thin blue pamplet by Toyota, has an 05 2004t smg part number that has the required mtn schedules in it.

5k for oil/ 6 months

DEALER want you to change at 3500 just per their sticker but i will use 5k.
    saleman said 5 k was THE REQUIREMENT

re 15k on the porsche - maybe thats syn oil. that car prob depreciates more in the 1st year than my hl cost

what are you guys who say thats not it, using?
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Well I'm not "misreading" my owners literature. The Passport to Service booklet that came with my car ('04 V6 Lmtd) says 5K miles or 6 months. The booklet apparently is for all Toyota products since it has schedules for cars and another for trucks/suvs. Printing date is 7/03. IMO, it is all BS anyway. When the manufacturers offer free maintenance for the first three years, it suddenly becomes 10K miles between changes. My Jaguar XType has the 10K requirement as does the Lincoln LS and many others. If the mfgrs are paying for the oil changes, it is okay to go 10K. Yeah right.
    Back in about 95 Bellevue Lexus came up with an OFFICIAL factory scheduled maintenance recommendation.

It was Bogus.

Look at what your owners manual says, that will be the OFFICIAL factory recommendations.
    Toyota dealers are removing the factory manual that has the recommeded maintenance procedures and inserting their own in its place.
    my manual was printed (rev 11 03)

some of the long change intervals are due to using synthetic oil
    The Passport to Service is part of the owners manual. It is not a dealer handout. They have taken all maintenance references and placed them in a separate booklet. Same with all warranty info. This booklet also has the place for the dealer to stamp & record each service. With my 1990 Celica, this info and dealer stamp area was part of the manual. Not so anymore. No reference toward service intervals at all in the regular handbook.
    agree
    why would they advise new owners with "fixed" engines to change the oil more often and not advise, somehow, the owners with sludge prone engines?
    I thought they did - do a search in edmunds - maybe this thread - someone posted the notice/letter Toyota sent out. I think it jacke the reccommended oil change freq back from the 7500 mile number. Maybe thats where all the 5k numbers in the present maintenance schedules come from. many many of the sludge problems were with people who complied with the 7500 number. some but very very few if youchanged every 3 , 4 or 5000 miles
  • lgjavalgjava Member Posts: 48
    I read some early posts on this board about Highlanders that had problems steering to the left. I had that exact problem. After the dealer balanced the wheels, the car now steers-left,right,left--the car has no true steer--it slowly wanders back and forth. This requires a lot of patience. I wondered if one of the tires was damaged (or maybe two.) Or maybe this might be alignment. I wouldn't like to drive very far with this problem, though. I jumped in my brother's Volvo 850, and its steering (by comparison) is like a train on rails. I'm very concerned about this latest problem (a very petty concern as compared to other graver concerns with this new car.)
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    ... in manual was 7500 miles for an '87 Corolla (aka Chevy Nova) I used to own, but the dealer's recommended oil change interval was half that. The same 3750 interval was recommended by various dealers for my '94 Corolla and also for the '03 Matrix.

I asked why the dealer suddenly was recommending a 5000 interval for the '04 Highlander, and the only explanation was that Toyota was trying to stretch out the intervals. I suspect the main reason is the factory indicator light that goes on at 5000 miles.

Personally I doubt that it makes any difference in most cases whether you get your oil changed at 3000, 5000 miles, or even at 7500 miles. But if something goes wrong that is even remotely related to your engine, you can expect the service department to blame you for waiting too long between oil changes.
    I still have my copy and I remember seeing/reading the one posted here. Mine doesn't say anything about changing the interval only that ignoring the recommedations can lead to failure. Strange as it may seem it appears that the engine warranty is extended to cover the sludge issue uncondtionally.

Reading between the lines would seem to indicate that the sludge formation has more to do with engine mis-design than following, or not, the recommeded (7500 for mine, 01 RX300) oil change schedule.
    I under stand - but if you go read the sludge topics many many people who changed at 3500 or 4000 or 5k never had a problem. the 7500 change semed to be linked (my opinion) in all the discussions ofsludge. of course some people in the early days presented proof of regular oil changes in one case the repair shop receipts were sequentially numberred (probably by a relative) oops!

what do you care? - change at 3 4 or 5 k and problem goes away
    ((I suspect, strongly, that youre somehow misreading your owners manual.))

Not at all wwest....5K is the interval. It does talk about shorter intervals for vehicles that tow or are in the desert. I like that better then the old "normal" vs. "severe" definitions.
  • litlit Member Posts: 3
    Just received a toyota OEM hood protector. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has installed one of these. I was suprised the only thing protecting the hood from the metal end clips was a thin urethane pad, which is nothing more than the equivalent of packaging tape. Has anyone had problems with the metal end clips damaging the paint on the hood over time. I already put a small nick in the paint just lining up the metal clips to determine where the urethane pads need to be applied. Any experiences to share would be appreciated. I have held off installing until I am comfortable this urethane "tape" is adequate.
    I installed the hood protector a couple months ago with no problems. The urethane pads should do the job. If it is tightened properly it won't move around on the hood and the pad should hold up in the weather. To be honest, I wasn't too concerned as I tend to leave this type of accessory on the vehicle when I sell or trade it.
  • litlit Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. Are you happy with the fit (no vibration?), quality and look of the protector. I had one on my previous SUV, but was not sure if it looked right on the Highlander given the Highlander does not have the tough SUV look of others.
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    I installed the same hood protector last August and it works great. If installed properly, there will be no vibration or rattling.
    I agree with desertguy - it is on there to stay as it provides good protection for the hood against flying debris. I have a Bluestone HL and the smoke protector looks fine.
    I also have a similar deflector for the sunroof and have had no problems with either product after almost a year.
    I also have the sunroof deflector. I mainly wanted it to cut down on the drumming sound when the roof was open at 30-35 MPH. Does a good job of taming the noise. I think the smoke looks great on my Sonora Gold Pearl. As you said, no vibration. The hood protector seems to keep a good percentage of the bugs off my windshield. (or is it just my imagination? :-)
  • jayrjayr Member Posts: 2
    What's the best way to transport 4 bicycles on a 2003 6 cylinder 4WD Highlander? 2 adult, 2 kid. Long and short distances. I've got the towing prep package (no hitch) if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    The hood protector does keep bugs off the windshield, however, my main concern was preventing chips on the hood. With the protector installed, there are no chips or marks that I can see. I bought a Sienna van last year and did not install a hood protector - big mistake. There are a number of chips on the hood now that I need to take care of. Granted, the hood has a more severe slope than the HL hood but I think a deflector helps steer small stones away.
    As far as the sunroof deflector, I agree with you - it does a great job of cutting down on wind noise.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    You get the towing prep package but no hitch?
    So what's in the package?

I put my bicycles in a bicycles rack that attach to the hitch. That's the way to go.

Don't even think about putting your bikes on top of the roof.

I think you really need to get the hitch.
    Since you asked:

"Towing Prep. Package
    Includes upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler, 130-amp alternator and trailer prewiring, 3,500-lb. towing capacity, engine oil cooler, 160-watt fan coupling and power steering oil cooler."
    This is from the Edmunds Toyota options site. The Class III hitch is another $415. Too expensive to buy just to hang a bke rack on IMO.
    Of course a Class II after market hitch would do for bike hauling.
  • jayrjayr Member Posts: 2
    I searched through existing posts and it is quite confusing what I would need. How do I obtain a Class II after market hitch? Any other related parts needed with Towing Prep Package? How difficult to install myself?

Thanks for your help.
    do not buy a class two hitch.
    buy a class 3.

I put on a hidden hitch I bought on the net for 140.
    took 20 min -
    takeoff towing eyes (2 bolts each) bolt on hitch - 3 bolts per side.
    hook up toyota connector (do a search here about $40 from toy dealer) and you are done will tow 3500 pounds. also see tundrasolutions . com about highlanders
    does a 6 cyl with the Tow package have a bigger water capacity radiator? or just more fins?
  • vargvarg Member Posts: 12
    Hello!

Although I have enjoyed our Highlander for eight months, the delayed acceleration or hesitation has become unbearable. Search the board and you will find others who experience the same problem. I finally took it in to the dealership to see what they can do. I was surprised when they acknowledged that there is a hesitation! However, it is a design issue since other Highlanders do it. Below is what is delineated on my work order.

Concern: Customer states vehicle hesitates on acceleration check and advise.
    Cause: Verified concern with customer
    Correction: Delay response verified with customer road test. Compared with STK ##### compared the same.

Since there is no way to repair the vehicle, service department gives my Toyotas phone number to start the arbitration process. This took me to a meeting with the district service and parts manager from Toyota. I thought he was very nice and professional. He acknowledges that this problem exists with the Highlander and Solara. Toyota engineers are at the beginning stages of finding a way to rectify the issue. However, he did not know how far along in the process they are in finding a solution. Below is his write up on the work order from him:

Concern: Customer states vehicle has hesitation or delayed acceleration while driving.
    Cause: 0
    Correction: Had factory rep inspect &#150; see notes
    Tech Notes: Test drove vehicle with customer; there is a hesitation while accelerating. Advised that Toyota is aware of complaint. Advised that dealership will complete an MDT report including their feeling.

They will not acknowledge that it is a design defect or a safety issue. Therefore, any manufacture buy back will have to be ordered through arbitration. Today, I applied for arbitration.

I try not to be too materialistic and dwell over things that really have no meaning to my life. However, when you pay over $30k for a vehicle and you have no recourse, it can be upsetting. Anyway, I thought I would post this to help others who may need the info.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I have this same delay in my '04 RX330 and it almost caused me to get into a wreck a couple of weeks ago when I was turning in front of someone. Normally, (in my Tahoe or any car that goes when you put your foot on the gas) I would have had plenty of time but the hesitation was very unnerving.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I had a class 3 hitch installed for $215 by a 3rd party. Hitch mounted bike racks have the most capacity,easiest to load/unload and most stable. They are also most expensive if you have to get the hitch installed, too. Roof racks are next best, but difficult to load unless you're over 6 ft. Rear hatch racks are cheapest, but for 4 bikes I wouldn't think they would be stable enough for long trips, although I see them all the time on minivans that are loaded to the hilt with vacation equipment. I have one for short trips locally, but prefer to use the hitch mounted one for longer trips.
    I too noticed our 04 HL 4 cyl has the same problem. Is your's a 4 or 6 cyl? I rarely drive it, so it's not a big deal to me and so far it hasn't bothered my wife. But it would drive me batty if I drove it every day. I've noticed it's not that bad if the a/c is off.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    So the towing pkg doesn't come with a hitch? How much does it cost?

My HL is 01 4cyl rwd and it has a hitch already when I bought it used. It works great when I carrying 2 bikes.

If someone want to carry 4 bikes, just get a bigger bike rack, I am sure it will work fine. The weight shouldn't be a problem, 4 bikes+the rack, maybe 150 lbs? just like having one more passenger.
  • vargvarg Member Posts: 12
    Below is some important information I left out from my original post:

My HL is a 2004 V6 AWD with approx. 9k miles on it. The factory rep said it applies to those vehicles with &#147;fly&#148; or &#147;fly wire&#148; acceleration. I cannot recall the exact verbiage he said (I will need to know for arbitration).

Test: Drive 30/40 miles an hour and imagine a large truck pulling in front of you. You slow down quickly to about 10-15 miles an hour. While slowing down you look over your shoulder to see it the lane is clear to go around the truck. You have a nice gap to accelerate into in the next lane and you &#147;punch&#148; the gas to shoot the gap. I will always get a very significant delay while doing it. Please note that you do not need to floor it. Another test is just imaging merging onto traffic.

On several occasions I thought my vehicle would stall. I can create the delay at anytime, however, the severity of it is hard to create. I feel it is a very serious safety issue. I have seen the delay the near two second mark.

Hope this helps.