Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Explain, yes, justify, absolutely not.

I personally think anyone stupid enough to purchse a FWD vehicle has a perfect right to encounter all the hazards thereof without any interference whatsoever.

No, really, I think the automotive industry is going to far to coddle us and in the process there are taking all the fun away.
  • poto1xpoto1x Member Posts: 26
    In addition to being stuck with Toyota's transmission screw up, we paid too much for it. Toyota's profit was $10.24 BILLION in fy2003, more than GM, Ford, and Daimler-Chrysler combined!

At Toyota and Lexus dealers, and the Edmunds Town Hall website, owners frequently complain of hesitation and surging in 2004 models (Camry, Highlander, Sienna, ES330 and RX330). Yet, Toyota claims there is no defect, and no safety problem with the transaxle and drive by wire throttle/software system—this is “normal” performance because all their cars do it.

Based on the NHTSA database of 2004 owner reports:
    • There are 13 reports of accidents with property damage, personal injury and one death related to the transmission/throttle system. (7 times the equivalent Ford and Honda accident rate!).
    • Owners of V6 models (Sienna, ES330 and RX330) are 15 times more likely than Ford and Honda owners to file a hesitation/surging complaint—Could it be because a) they have more problems b) Toyota refuses to acknowledge (or fix) the problem and c) it’s NHTSA’s job to step in when a manufacturer won’t voluntarily correct their safety defects?
    • The majority of V6 Toyota owners filing a hesitation/surging complaint state the car is unsafe. (Of the significantly fewer transmission complaints from Ford and Honda owners, none reported it as a safety hazard!)
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Reporting a problem as a safety hazard (whether it is or not)is one way to get NHTSA's attention and the complainants know it.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Sorry folks but when I see this on the "back burner", I just need to resurface it....plus I'm Scottish so I'm not giving up. :)

I don't want to loose this thread. There are too many of us having this problem to let it go...and we are getting new members everyday that might not be aware. Hey, maybe this will get it resolved!!!

So file a complaint if you are experiencing the hesitation problem with the '04 Highlander here;
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on "secure submissions" and fill out the simple form. When you get towards the end of filling out the form, you'll be asked the component. Click/highlight "POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION." Some have posted under "VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL" so file where you want. There are (8) complaints under PT: Auto Trans and (2) under VSC:Accel Pedal at present posting. As of 9/23/04 that is.

Thanks!
  • wbaywbay Member Posts: 34
    Ah! There's the rub. Coddling the consumer. But what they're really doing is trying to insulate themselves from lawyers.

I agree. If I buy a car that is more likely to roll over than another, so be it. Trying to engineer a driver out of a rollover accident by having the car stall at a critical moment is asinine. It's like trying to prevent Humpty Dumpty from falling off the wall by booby trapping his ladder so he falls off the ladder rather than the wall.

Engineers being driven by lawyers...next we'll have cars that refuse to start because we might get into an accident. "What's that?" "Oh that's my $32,000 Highlander paperweight. It doesn't drive, but it makes a heck of a decoration, don't you think?"

By the way, someone mentioned that using snow mode and turning off the overdrive helped the hesitation issue. I tried it, and for me it did not help.
  • oldmanoldman Member Posts: 35
    Wain, you can check my posts on this issue noted at same point as you found it. I had the same problems which are secondary to excessive "toe-in" settings from the factory. The howl from the tread became so loud we could not converse among passengers. I asked dealer to check, but my wife didn't request readings from the allignment equipment. Afterward they said nearly all four wheels were out of spec. This adjustment helped a little, but problem continued. A few months later I requested, at my own expense, readjustment of toe, and while the settings were "in spec", they are excessive when they result in "cupping" and noise. I asked the mechanic to take fronts down to "0 degrees" toe, which he resisted, but I told him I was paying for it and was aware this could affect handling. The tires are now wearing evenly and less noise, and handling is not affected whatsoever. So unless you want that nuisance forever, you'd best consider my approach as nothing else worked.
  • oldmanoldman Member Posts: 35
    hlendgame, my dealer told me the rear end clunking was caused by defective struts. Mind you these are manifesting at 13,000 miles! They had to special order the replacements and will fix free under warranty. Yet, Toyota seems to be cutting corners, or their suppliers are. I've had at least a dozen Toyotas, all of the bought new, and never had any problem at all until this 04 AWD HL V6. I'm beginning to think Toyota is slipping on quality. Even my tires were wearing down at alarming rate, see other posts.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I've got a 2004 HL and it has been flawless, much better than I expected. I even paid close attention to the items discussed here, and it's fine. This is my first Toyota, been a Honda man for the last 5 yrs. I've owned an Odyssey, Accord, and a CRV. None have been without reported problems from others, Odyssey - brakes & hesitation, Acord - tranny, CRV - fires after 1st oil change.
  • hlendgamehlendgame Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I have only heard it a couple times and I always have the radio cranked, so I am never really sure I heard something. I have a really steep drive, so I will be sure to pay attention when coming/going.
  • brian23brian23 Member Posts: 9
    After another frustrating drive home today, I finally filed an official complaint with the NHTSA. I can't say that the hesitation/surging problem has been a true 'hazard' for me (yet), but it has sure made driving my brand new $32,000 vehicle unpleasant. Only 59 payments to go!
        Maybe if enough of us make our voices heard, Toyota will come up with some sort of fix.... And you're right about new members- I've seen a handful of new HL's in town lately. Maybe a few of these new owners will have the same problem.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Can anyone explain what the "ETC/Snow" button to the right of the shifter does? And how it differs from the "Trac" traction control that is always on unless you push the button below and to the right of the ignition key?

Mine is an '04 FWD 4-cylinder model. I found an explanation for when to turn off the traction control in the owner's manual, but no explanation of "ETC/Snow" even in the section on winter driving. The illustration of the dashboard and the indicator lights refers to "ETC/Snow" as "Snow Mode."

Does it maybe lock out first gear so you start moving in second?
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Yes, It does lock out first gear and starts the car in second. It works like a standard shift when you are caught in snow or ice and wanted more traction.
    That's what it felt like when I tried Snow Mode.
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    4000 miles, rotated drivers side tires (will do other side next day or two).
    today now tire pressure warning lite is on.
    called dealer
    service manager (who was new) said it can be a problem
    "push the lite reset button on the dash, if that does not work remove the wheels and rotate them 180 degrees on the hub. He said it took them 2 hours to fix one.

I read the owners manual - a complicated system.
    I re set it and re initialized it but do not know if it "took" - tho lite is out - manual says u have to drive an hour.

design of this seems very non toyota,as it violates the KISS (simple) rule

anyone heard of this rotate the wheel on the hub fix? is that bad info?
  • rowlandrowland Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar issues with my 04 2 wd 6 cyl. The dealer says it's the tires being underinflated, the tire dealer says its out of alignment. Toyota checked the alignment and it is off by 200 of 1%. I feel sure it is not the alignment. Car is at dealer now....am waiting for a call as to the resolution. Mine has 19,000 miles on it...I have always taken to the dealer to be serviced. If it was out of alignment, should they not have noticed by now? Will repost what dealer offers as a solution.
    I don't think dealers do anything about alignment unless you are having a problem.

In the 60s pontiac and probably all of GM had different alignment specs depending on who was paying ie warranty specs were wider than customer paying specs (these were in the factory manual.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2
    My wife got a '04 Highlander Limited six months ago and we both love this vehicle and until now have had no problems.
    Maybe I have more a question than a problem regarding the tire pressure sensors. Friday night she parked the HL after a trip. Saturday she drove <.2 mile and realized she had a flat tire (passenger rear). While I filled the flat tire I saw sidewall wear that indicated that it had been driven flat for more than the drive down our street. I filled the tire and limped to a nearby tire store. The pressure warning light never went on. The tire shop was kind enough to put on the full size spare (which is a real tire on a real aluminum rim...I like that) as the tire was ruined, and suggested we take this up with the Toyota dealer. My wife took the HL to the Toyota dealer today and was told that the sensor does not work in the event of sudden pressure loss, and does not work until the vehicle is moving at 9mph. It was a slow/moderate leak and the warning light never went on.
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over the cost of replacing the tire but am disappointed that what seemed like a nice feature only works in very selective situations.
    I am considering pursuing this with Toyota but would like the groups input to see if I have a case or am just ignorant about this system.
    Thanks for your input!
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2
    My wife got a '04 Highlander Limited six months ago and we both love this vehicle and until now have had no problems.
    Maybe I have more a question than a problem regarding the tire pressure sensors. Friday night she parked the HL after a trip. Saturday she drove <.2 mile and realized she had a flat tire (passenger rear). While I filled the flat tire I saw sidewall wear that indicated that it had been driven flat for more than the drive down our street. I filled the tire and limped to a nearby tire store. The pressure warning light never went on. The tire shop was kind enough to put on the full size spare (which is a real tire on a real aluminum rim...I like that) as the tire was ruined, and suggested we take this up with the Toyota dealer. My wife took the HL to the Toyota dealer today and was told that the sensor does not work in the event of sudden pressure loss, and does not work until the vehicle is moving at 9mph. It was a slow/moderate leak and the warning light never went on.
    I'm not going to lose any sleep over the cost of replacing the tire but am disappointed that what seemed like a nice feature only works in very selective situations.
    I am considering pursuing this with Toyota but would like the groups input to see if I have a case or am just ignorant about this system.
    Thanks for your input!
  • thock33thock33 Member Posts: 6
    The "Low Tire Inflation" system used on the Highlander uses the ABS wheel sensors to "count" the wheel revolutions. If the computer determins that one wheel is turning faster than the other three it probibly means the tire pressure is low resulting in a shorter rolling radius of that tire, which results in more revolutions per mile than the other wheels. If the system reacted too fast it would turn on the warning light when the vehicle turned a corner or a wheel slipped on ice. It does not actually measure the PSI pressure in each tire (as my brothers Cadillac does). It may not be perfect but it's a low cost method to provide important safety information.
  • promenadepromenade Member Posts: 1
    You are so right. I have a 2004 HL 4 cyl w/4 speed auto transmission. It is only 3 months old with just 1,800 miles on it and from day one has intermittently downshifted from 3rd to 2nd with a harsh "clunk" sound when approaching a stop. The dealer has replaced the transmission with no improvement. The "clunk" appears to be transaxle backlash which the dealer claims is normal. I have owned many Toyotas incl a 2002 Camry LE 4 cyl/automatic which does NOT clunk or have harsh downshifts. This HL transmission & fly-by-wire design is a LEMON.
    can dirt in any way affect the tire sensors?
    where are they and what do they look like?
  • phcahaphcaha Member Posts: 1
    bob, thanks so much for posting the prompt to report the uneven auto. transmission. I thought it was me (at first). I was surprised because I'm a pretty smooth driver, always looking and planning ahead so I don't make many quick, uneven movements but the transmission keeps erratically surging unevenly much to my surprise. I love this site. It keeps me alert as to what I should watch for and reinforces the issues I'm having some difficulty with. Honestly, I really like my Highlander -- 2004 fwd v6 -. Don't get great gas mileage but then I'm in the middle of the great Connecticut I 95 parking lot / commuter highway.
              Thanks again for the prompt Phyllis
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Phyllis...I love this site also, and read it almost daily...However, I found that one needs to take alot of the comments with the proverbial "grain of salt", or just be aware that these forums tend over-stress the negatives...folks who are unhappy with their cars, or have issues with a specific function, will tend to post more often than those who are happy with their car. This is not to say that these forums don't provide a very valuable service. They most certainly do! Many times I have found solutions to issues I have had with a car, by posting and/or reading about others with the same vehicle.

Once, however, I read about an "issue" with one of my cars, that I wasn't aware of, and it made me hate the car. LOL It was mentioned that the steering wheel on (this particular vehicle that I also owned) was designed slightly off center, and at an slight angle with the driver's seat. I had never noticed this, and, of course, every time I drve that car after reading that, it was in my mind. I sold that car a few months later. It was getting near time to replace it anyway, but that helped in my decision to sell it.

There have been other issues I have followed, that got so much discussion here, that it is appears that the manufacturer stepped up and addressed that issue publicly, in response to Edmunds. In fact, the even had a thread where posts/questions were answered by the manufacturer's representative.

Sorry for long post..

a faithfull (but aware) reader
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    What I have found is that if you drive "smoothly" (ie.modulate the gas or press the gas pedal gently), the car will "hesitate." However, if you step on the gas, the car takes off fast.
  • may5zipmay5zip Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Highlander has the same idle problem..Did you get it resolved?
  • may5zipmay5zip Member Posts: 2
    Occasionally when starting this car, it will not idle, just dies...Only happens every now and then...Anyone had this issue and resolved it?
  • daytimerdaytimer Member Posts: 10
    I opened a case with the Toyota regional office. The regional rep has indicated the Toyota "technical staff" is aware of these complaints. "The car is functioning as designed. There are no plans at this time to reprogram the ECM."

So, Toyota has no intention to fix this "design" until it hurts them in the pocketbook not to. Apparently, we were all stupid for buying their product and we got what we deserve. Many more people need to complain about this before anything will be done.

I guess the next step is nhtsa complaint and consider arbitration. In the meantime, Toyota has created another walking billboard warning people...

DON'T BUY THE HIGHLANDER - IT'S DANGEROUS, DRIVES CRUDELY AND UNPREDICTABLY!
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I would amend that to:

Test drive the Highlander carefully before you buy.

Mine seems to be OK (no hesitation issues). I'm not sure why some would do it and not others, but that seems to be the case.
    Sorry folks but when I see this on the "back burner", I just need to resurface it....plus I'm Scottish so I'm not giving up. :)

I don't want to loose this thread. There are too many of us having this problem to let it go and we are getting new members everyday that might not be aware. Hey, maybe this will get it resolved!!!

So file a complaint if you are experiencing the hesitation problem with the '04 Highlander here;
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on "secure submissions" and fill out the simple form. When you get towards the end of filling out the form, you'll be asked the component. Click/highlight "POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION." Some have posted under "VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL" so file where you want. There are (10) complaints under PT: Auto Trans and (3) under VSC:Accel Pedal at present posting. As of 10/04/04 that is.

Thanks!

Jbollt, I agree...to an extent. Yes, if someone is unhappy with a certain issue, they tend to be a little more "vocal" which is totally understandable. But my point and it's only a point is to get this serious problem corrected in anyway I can. I've already followed the proper channels and as so many others have pointed out, the response we get is "it's normal."
    Well, it's NOT!

I really love my Highlander as does my wife and I plan on keeping it through thick and thin. And if it wasn't for this transmission issue, I wouldn't be going through the trouble of re-posting this.
    Please understand I'm not getting off on seeing my post on the internet or just trying to over-stress the negatives, I'm not. I'm just trying to help myself and others in getting this corrected. It's too serious to let it go.
    Myself and others have invested too much money in the trust of Toyota and they must be held accountable.
    I don't want someone, myself or family included to get hurt because this vehicle isn't performing at 100%.

BTW, was your previous vehicle with a "off center" steering wheel a CR-V?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Scroll...scroll....scroll

Sorry to hear about your problems, but you're beating a dead horse.
  • garygary Member Posts: 39
    In mid-August, I posted a some last minute warranty issues I would be taking my HL in to the dealer for. Here's a followup:

The issues:
    - Oil + Filter change
    - Check A/C temperature
    - Check steering wheel squeak
    - Check 'chattering' rear wiper
    - Check rear hatch interior trim
    - Check gasket on rear hatch near Toyota logo
    - Check driver side mudguard (torn)

*08/21 Sat.* appointment
    - Oil and filter changed
    - A/C temp checked out at 38 degrees F. Normal. Could not duplicate intermittent blowing warm air.
    - Lubed steering column. Stated insufficient lube.
    - Replace rear wiper arm/blade. Stated arm was bent. (ORDERED PART)
    - Rear hatch interior trim. (ORDERED PART)
    - Rear hatch logo grommet (ORDERED PART)
    - Mudguard (ORDERED PART)
    Advisor states parts should be in in 1 - 1 1/2 weeks.

*09/17 Fri.* 4 weeks later, no call from dealership so I called. Said 3 of 4 parts arrived. Waiting for interior trim garnish.

*09/22 Wed* Received voicemail from dealer. All parts are in. Pls call to schedule appointment.

*09/23 Thu* Called dealer to set up Sat. appt. Said they're too busy, schedule for weekday. Offered to provide rental car if I left car Wed. PM, pick up next day. Agreed

*09/29 Wed* Dropped off car at 4PM. Got Corolla rental. Got home, received voicmail AGAIN: All parts are in. Please call to schedule appt.

*09/30 Thu* Called dealer to have them check famous glovebox rattle. Stopped by dealer on the way home from work. Advisor states 1 part has NOT YET arrived. (After 2 voicemail stating otherwise!!)Said to keep rental car. I asked to speak to service manager. He promised to 'take care of me and my HL'. I asked for rental upgrade. Surprisingly, they gave me a 2004 Prius. (this is a really great, fascinating car!)

*10/01 Fri* Dealer states part came in...but was damaged. Keep Prius 1 more day. (Fine with me!)

*10/02 Sat* Saturday 4PM dealer calls...car is ready.

Picked up car. Everything fixed. Could not test rear wiper until it rains. They could not duplicate A/C problem. Said they would extend the warranty on the A/C however.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share my ordeal with you all.

Toyota dealer tries, but not very hard. They really botch things up then play the 'make up' game with apologies, and rental cars. My HL has been pretty decent for being a 1st model year. (2001). Just some minor annoyances that shouldn't be there, but no major show stoppers. Very disappointed in Toyota (vehicles and dealer service). Probably go back to Honda.

Gary
    2001 2WD HL V6 'non' limited
    Millennium Silver
    28000 miles
    Be careful.

If Toyota thinks the "hesitation" version of the engine control firmware/software is the correct one you may find that the dealers will update your non-hesitation model for the correct version.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    That seems highly unlikely.

If there were two different codes or versions out there, wouldn't they just recode the hesitating vehicles using the "non-hesitation" code?

I certainly think the hesitation issue is cause for concern, but I'm skeptical about the likelihood of the situation you describe.
    It's really quite a simple process.
    I've been in the automotive industry for over 25 years and all they (Toyota) needs to do is a "re-flash" of the PCM. (Powertrain Control Module)

Yes hmurphy, they could re-flash using a program that is not experiencing any of the problems but it wouldn't work on all the Highlanders. There are too many variables; Engine size, transmission, 4WD or 2WD, Limited or Non Limited editions, options factory installed, tire size and so on. All of these and more are programed into a vehicles PCM.

I'm convinced that they (Toyota) knows how to fix this but they (Toyota) don't want to deal with the embarrassment and expense of this warranty issue. Plus there probably hasn't been enough complaints to justify a fix/recall.

All they see right now is escalating sales numbers which translates into dollars.
  • lovecarslovecars Member Posts: 2
    I just put down a deposit today on a new 05 v6 front wheel drive HL. I also just happened to take a look at this site and discovered the hesitation problem. Does anyone know if the problem persists in the 2005 model? Should I go with the Solara v4 instead that I almost bought today? Suggestions please.
    It currently appears to only pertain to the toyota/lexus FWD vehicles or AWD with FWD bias.
    what does that leave out?
  • lovecarslovecars Member Posts: 2
    I just got home with my new Solara SLE with the 4 banger. I'm really glad I read this forum because my luck would dictate that I would get one of the bad HL's. I'm more than satisfied with my new car. For the money I think I got more than what the HL offered but I know it's comparing apples to oranges. By the way, I asked my saleslady if she had heard about the HL's or v6 Solara's with the hesitation and she said she had not. Of course, what would you expect her to say. Anyway, thanks to all that posted here, maybe next time I'll get that HL because I still think it's a great SUV. Let's see what the 07 model changeover looks like.
    have never heard of ANY problem with cars they sell
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Well, not reporting a hesitation issue, but I've got the first problem with my '01 V6 Highlander. I just happened to see a small drop of oil on the garage floor. Peeked under an can see a small amount of seepage coming from where the block bolts to the tranny. Wipe it clean but of course comes back, but oddly has not dripped on the ground anymore.

Dealer confirmed that it is a rear main seal and said that they have seen quite a few of these. A friend that is a Lexus tech tells me that he also has replaced quite a few on RX300s.

I didn't expect something like this with only 38k miles, but at least the powertrain warranty will cover it. For those of you that do your own oil changes, you might want to take a peek at this area. Actually, I recommend anybody take a look especially if you are near the end of your powertrain warranty. You do not have to crawl under the vehicle. Just look under the front bumper and look at the bottom most bolt that is connecting the engine to the tranny.
    A friends LS400 RMS failed, mysteriously, immediately upon returning from the dealer for an oil change. $1100.

Later I learned that if the dealer overfills the crankcase and simply runs the vehicle around the block a few times the seal will be broached.

DIY.
  • mike2005mike2005 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everybody, I bought a Highlander 2004 V4-AWD last July. I took it this morning to the Toyota dealer for the 5000 miles maintenance. They told me that the next oil change should be done @ 7500 miles. I was surprised because on the maintenance/Service book that I got with the new car, Toyota said the maintenance should be done @ 5000, 10000 etc... Doesn anybody get the same recommendation from his dealer? Should I do what the dealer recommends or stick with Toyota's schedule? Thanks you for your help.

Mike.
  • wbaywbay Member Posts: 34
    Got high centered on a sand road recently. During the forty five minutes it took to dig myself out I got to wondering about the utility of the ECT mode for sand. Any opinions? I have a feeling one shouldn't use the snow mode in sand, since having the lowest gear available would be useful.
    On 3 older Toyota products my experience was that the dealers recommended service intervals at double the rate listed in the owner's manual for normal driving conditions. I asked why this wasn't the case with my '04 Highlander and was told that Toyota was stretching out the service intervals. (Seems like Toyota had always stretched them out more than the dealers wanted.) So the recommendation for my Highlander from both dealer and owner's manual is a 5,000 mile oil change interval. For various reasons I haven't gone quite that long -- I had the oil changed at about 4,100 miles and again at about 8,100 miles.

If you had around 5,000 miles on the odometer when you had the 5,000 mile service and if the oil and filter were changed at that time, there is no need to get them changed again at 7,500 miles. To avoid voiding the warranty you just need to get the oil changed every 5,000 miles.
    Salesman looked us in the eye said - change at 5k to keep the warranty.
    he then said service dept wants us to change at 3500
  • fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    The squeak behind the drivers dash is fixed thanks to Toyota assisting my dealer with the solution.
    Toyota informed the dealer that replacing the nozzle assembly under the cowl solves the problem - and they were correct.
    Apparently there have been a number of complaints to Toyota about this problem [have not seen this mentioned here however] and they were quick to suggest a fix. It took the mechanic 4.5 hours to do the job and the HL feels like new. Thankfully, I have no hesitation or brake problems that so many seem to have.
    If anyone has this problem and wants more information, let me know.

03 Base HL V6 4WD
    13,000 miles
    after i lock my car and walk away, and at other times the lock function on the car will sound- the springs in the remote are weak and only require a slight amount of movement to actuate the alarm. Other keys on the key ring in my pocket will do it.

Do these remotes come apart easily? Thinking of putting in stronger springs-

my mom's buick has a much deeper push requires.
    japan screwed this one up.
  • shaweetshaweet Member Posts: 12
    Sorry to bring this up again, I have an 04 AWD Limited and the hesitation problem is driving me nuts!!! Since Toyota will not do anything about it, does anyone know of an aftermarket shop that can "reprogram" the transmission? This is my last resort, if nothing exist out there, I will definitely get rid of it!
    could you install a mechanical throttle cable from an earlier model?