Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wbaywbay Member Posts: 34
    Hello y'all. Here's what Toyota sent back in response to my query about a fix for the RX 330:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize for your dissatisfaction with the driving response of the 2004 Highlander.

The poor response you described typically surfaces either when the accelerator is depressed fully to the floor or when depressed an aggressive manner. The newer version of the Highlander has transitioned from a manual throttle linkage to an electronic throttle control system. The electronic throttle control monitors the everyday driving habits of the operator and then tailors itself to make the most efficient gearshifts. On rare occasions when the operator fully depresses the pedal or depresses the pedal in an aggressive manner, the system may experience a delay in determining how to make the optimal gearshift.

At this time Toyota has no plans to make changes to the shift characteristics of the transmission. To minimize this condition, we recommend trying a firm yet gradual application of the accelerator.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Your feedback is appreciated; it is through communications such as yours that we become aware of our customers' expectations and reactions. It also provides us with valuable insight when planning and developing future products and services to increase our customers' satisfaction."

I'm actually pleased that they wrote back and acknowledged my existence, but the solution is a non-solution and I wonder why they didn't reference the supposed fix for the Lexus. Anyway, has anyone tried disconnecting their battery to reset the "learned" behavior? ("Bad car, don't hesitate!"). Maybe there's a camp for recalcitrant Highlanders--tough love with a few cliches tossed in, such as "He who hesitates is lost."

Suppose I just showed up at a Lexus dealer and asked for some cross-make help? Would they laugh? Would it work?
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    Its probably a prime example of the violation of the KISS keep it simple stupid rule. Seems like the function of an accelerator pedal would be to go when you push on it ,
    and go mo when you push on it mo.
    why should it "learn' about you if you always drive the same?
    really stupid to me. I hope they change their mind and turn off the "brain" in the car.
    Wonder how these things are in fleet use or renta car use where there is a different driver every day - the brain must need counseling????????????

like the nav sys beeps that can not be silencened and the nav system disclaimer that always comes on.
    i think Toyota has lost some of its ability to tailor the car to people in the last 10 years compared with the mid 90s.
  • rrmcneillrrmcneill Member Posts: 1
    My electronic stability control on my 2003 Highlander has become more and more sensitive. It will now activate the warning beeper with somethin as unobtusive as changing lanes. Moreover, several times I have driven on very winding roads and the beeper will go of, I hear a grinding noise, and the car will pull as if the brakes are catching. Has anyone had this problem and what type of service do I need? Thanks.
    another case of the cars brain being in charge
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    has failed or come loose from its moorings..

rrmcneil
  • daytimerdaytimer Member Posts: 10
    Anyone still thinking of buying a Highlander? If you get a defective trans like I did, You will regret it. They say it's normal. You know the hesitation on the upshift is dangerous. The abrupt downshifting is a joke! That's what really annoys me. Today I had the chance to drive a 15 year old beater. In every driving condition it shifted MUCH more smoothly and "appropriately" than my new $31,000 Highlander. Toyota is good at meaningless lip service. Of course they won't acknowledge the problem is ever-present and not just in "rare occasions" where they imply you're mis-driving it. Don't buy a Highlander. Toyota has created a walking billboard steering people away from this awful vehicle.
      The flimsy doors, the cabin rattles, undercarriage rattles, oil filter placement, the non self locking doors, and of course, the transmission makes this car the worst I've ever owned. Toyota = big mistake.
  • 4wdave4wdave Member Posts: 16
    I had the same problem with an 01 4WD w/ 37k miles. Had to replace the whole panel that includes the heat/cool/fan switches -- about $600! Very easy to replace --b ut expensive parts. I tried to get Toyota to pay 50%, but they referred me to local dealer -- who completely ignored my request.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Well I don't particularly care whether anyone else buys a new Highlander or not. I love mine and it drives perfectly in all respects. I don't need others to buy or even like the HL to validate my purchase. Sorry to hear some are having these problems. This is my eighth Toyota and they have all been great.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    Not to negate the problems that others are having, but I've got to say that mine has been great so far as well. No issues at all (then again, I'd be pretty annoyed to have issues with only 2,000 miles on the odometer).
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I too have had no problems whatsoever with our 2004 HL, just had the first oil/filter change a couple weeks ago.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Overall very satisfied with mine as well; only experienced hesitation issue perhaps 3 times in the three years I've owned it; plan to keep it 10-20 years.
    Take it how you will but at the Seattle auto show when I brought up the hesitation issue not one of the 3 or 4 Toyota represenatives/salespersons in earshot seemed to "question" the issue. Several even chimed in with their own customer experiences.

Their expressions seemed to indicate "resigned to frustration" IMMHO.
    Maybe Toyota has caught the german car maker virus - the one that causes people who designed it to deny anything could be wrong with it. Even deny "reports from the field"

My experience with the german car industry is that that is a cultural problem with them
    the germans caught it from the Japanese.

Part of the Japanese culture is to die rather than confess to mistakes, "live without honor".
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    I went to the same Seattle Auto Show on the 5th and asked one of the salesman about the hesitation problem described here. He claimed no knowledge about the problem. I am considering purchasing either the HL or the new Tacoma.
  • brgsmithbrgsmith Member Posts: 14
    Our 01 V6 AWD Limited has been largely trouble-free except since last summer. Intermittently there is a strange noise coming from the cargo area or liftgate of the vehicle. The noise can manifest itself when the car is moving, or stopped with engine on, or stopped with engine off and key off. The noise can be described like "a liquid flowing through a tube," a "variable wooshing sound," or "video game sound effects." It is best heard by rear seat passengers. The noise can be heard for minutes at a time, even after the engine is shut off. As time passes, the noise becomes fainter and intermittent: noise . . . silence . . . noise . . . silence, and finally silence. If I open the liftgate it usually stops, either instantly or within several seconds. In general the noise will come and go, sometimes it's there for several days in a row, sometimes it is not heard for weeks.

I searched the HL forums here and did not find where the issue has been previously reported.

Thanks for any assistance,

brgsmith
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I was in that Auto Show as well and I just didn't even bother to ask them the question because I didn't expect they would give me any NEW info on it anyway. I guess we probably know more than they do by now.
    Anyway, I think the new Tacoma looks cool, you should get that. (But please, get one with power doors, windows... I don't understand why so many people buy a Tacoma with no power options at all!!) We are in 2005, not 1985 :-)
  • brgsmithbrgsmith Member Posts: 14
    Our 01 V6 AWD Limited has been largely trouble-free except since last summer. Intermittently there is a strange noise coming from the cargo area or liftgate of the vehicle. The noise can manifest itself when the car is moving, or stopped with engine on, or stopped with engine off and key off. The noise can be described like "a liquid flowing through a tube," a "variable wooshing sound," or "video game sound effects." It is best heard by rear seat passengers. The noise can be heard for minutes at a time, even after the engine is shut off. As time passes, the noise becomes fainter and intermittent: noise . . . silence . . . noise . . . silence, and finally silence. If I open the liftgate it usually stops, either instantly or within several seconds. In general the noise will come and go, sometimes it's there for several days in a row, sometimes it is not heard for weeks.

I searched the HL forums here and did not find where the issue has been previously reported.

Thanks for any assistance,

brgsmith
    Many Tacoma buyers want the cheapest truck they can find. Power options = $$$$, so they pass.
    Possibly bubbles in the rear-window windshield washer system. Activate the washer for several seconds to clear-out the bubbles.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    I don't want to loose this thread. There are too many of us having this problem to let it go and we are getting new members everyday that might not be aware.

So file a complaint if you are experiencing the hesitation problem with the '04 Highlander here;
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on "secure submissions" and fill out the simple form. When you get towards the end of filling out the form, you'll be asked the component. Click/highlight "POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION." Some have posted under "VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL" so file where you want.

Thanks
  • suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    Does anyone know if the 02 or 03 3.0L V6 Highlanders have the hesitation problem that some people are experiencing?

Thanks
  • secondrigsecondrig Member Posts: 21
    I've read with great interest the postings on this issue. I had a 2001 Highlander, with no problems, and now drive a 2004 with no sign of the problem. While I'm convinced it's a significant problem in some situations/with some cars, I'm wondering if there isn't some point to the explanation that drivers need to adapt to the new acceleration technology. To me, it may be the equivalent of the change to anti-lock brakes. Those of us of a certain age grew up slamming the brakes. With the new brakes, this action disarms the anti-lock system. We've adjusted to pumping instead. I also think the break-in period is significant. The owner's manual warns against full-throttle acceleration during the break-in. I wonder if this is part of "training" the software. Just a few thoughts. I really love the Highlander and hope the problem can be resolved for all that experience it.
  • thock33thock33 Member Posts: 6
    You have it backwards. The non ABS brakes had to be pumped on slippery surfaces to keep the wheels from locking and causing a skid. The ABS does this "Pumping" very fast and keeps the wheels turning just enough to prevent the lock-up, so the driver has a better chance of maintaining steering control. The proper way to brake with ABS is to push hard and steady, and DO NOT PUMP.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Post 1973 has it right. Do not pump ABS brakes.

The dealer spilled some oil from the last oil and filter change, on my 2004 V6. It ended up in a groove in the shield under the front bumper and dripped on the garage floor. While I was cleaning this up from the shield I tried to find the filter. OK, I give up. Where did Toyota hide the oil filter on the 3.3 V6?
    Yes, where is that oil filter. I looked under the HL once with a flashlight but did not see it. I'll bet it is a [non-permissible content removed] to replace and I usually do my own oil changes.('04 3.3 V6)
  • secondrigsecondrig Member Posts: 21
    Yes, of course. Thanks for clarifying my early morning, pre coffee error. The concept, I think, remains, however, that as technologies change, so must our driving habits--and even instincts.
    Is very well hidden under the exhaust manifold in the front facing side of the V6.
    Thanks! Just found it. What an impossible thing to get at.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    I too have read the hesitation postings with great interest. I currently own a '01 Highlander also. After 38k miles, I just had my first problem: leaking rear main seal. I dropped it off for repair on Monday night, and was pleasantly surprised to find that my loaner is an '04 HL-v6 with 11k miles. I've put about 300 miles on it since, trying to produce the hesitation. I cannot. Can someone shed some light on how one might duplicate the problem? Acceleration so far is impressive.
  • jcorjcor Member Posts: 1
    Found this site after seaching the web on this issue. My 05 V6 2WD Highlander has 1-2sec hesitation when coasting at 10-20mph then accelerating. It's so un-nerving that my teen will not drive it because of the hesitation. It's certainly annoying and possibly dangerous particularly at intersections and turns with oncoming traffic. I plan to bring it up as a major issue at my upcoming 1000mi service, but want to be prepared for the service mgr. After reading all the posts on this, I'm still confused. Is there really a "fix" that Lexus has for the 05 Rx330 that would work on the Highlander, or is this just speculation. Does Toyota or Lexus acknowledge this problem even exists? Has anyone had this problem sucessfully fixed by a Toyota dealer? If so, what was done? Thanks.
  • junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    My 03 V6 FWD does not have the hesitation problem. In fact, my 03 Highlander, with 25,000 miles, has absolutely no problems.
    The filter is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to get to from the engine compartment but there is a easier way if you feel like doing a little modification.

What I did was cut a square hole in the black air deflector under the the bumper. "Eye ball" where the filter is in relation to where you will cut and cut a 5 inch square out. This plastic is very soft so a utility knife will do the trick. Get some speed nuts (4). Speed nuts are made for thin metal and are "U" shaped. They have a hole on one end and a off center hole on the other to "grasp" the threads of a sheet metal screw. Drill (carefully) 4 holes in a little at the corners from where you cut the plastic out and slip in the speed nuts so the holes align.
    Next get a piece of sheet metal, 6 inch square. Drill (again carefully) 4 holes in the sheet metal that will line up with the speed nuts you installed. Sand and paint the sheet metal black. After drying, screw four sheet metal screws though the holes into the air deflector and you are done.

Now you have an easy "covered" access hole to remove/install the oil filter.
    I don't want to loose this thread. There are too many of us having this problem to let it go and we are getting new members everyday that might not be aware.

So file a complaint if you are experiencing the hesitation problem with the '04 Highlander here;
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on "secure submissions" and fill out the simple form. When you get towards the end of filling out the form, you'll be asked the component. Click/highlight "POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION." Some have posted under "VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL" so file where you want.

Thanks
  • audionut1audionut1 Member Posts: 11
    Just remove the plastic undertray...it only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it. This will allow you to wipe down the oil filter mount flange,wipe down all oil drippings, and do a quick visual inspection. We have a 2002 V6 fwd.

At least the highlander is fine with regular oil...my '03 turbo passat needs full syn oil...using mobil 1 euro 0-40wt oil...
    The filter, at least on the '01 V6 AWD with tow-prep package, can be accessed from the top with minimal hassle IMO. Just reach in on the left side of the radiator (as you face the engine compartment) with the filter wrench, unscrew the filter, turn it upright, and carefully pull it out. (If changing when engine is hot (oil drains more readily), throw an old towel over the radiator and exhaust manifold to avoid burns.)
    It appears that the 2004/05 3.3V6 has a more hidden location for the oil filter than the 3.0V6. The manifold obscures the location on the 04/05. I will let the dealer change it. Thanks to all those creative people who came up alternative ways to reach the filter.
    the basic question is how does the dealer do it - tthey probably remove the plastic panel - easier with car on lift
    I doubt that the dealer removes the plastic panel, because that is where my oil spillage was collecting, in the groove at the bottom of the panel. They must have a special wrench that reaches up into the hidden location.
    Well I just checked my '04 V6 Ltd with tow package and you ain't taking it out on the left side of the radiator. The 3.3 must be different than the 3.0. I can reach in on the right side and feel the filter which is well hidden BUT, there is plenty of room to get a wrench on it and to pull it out the right side from the top. Thanks for helping me to locate it.
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    just a thought. using variable weight oil
    SAE5/30. Does it really drain better when hot since it is thinner when cold and thickens when hot? The oil changes on my 04 HL Done by Toyota always drip after a oil change. Service rep says that service changes the filter by feel and a little bit of oil drips and accumulates in that plastic shroud.
    Actually I'm not positive draining oil with the engine hot is preferred; I just heard it somewhere and so that's always the way I did it. I mentioned it to my roommate a few years back and he said you should drain when cold to prevent the engine block from warping.
    Obviously if it is 100 degrees in Phoenix, warming up the engine is not really necessary. But when I'm changing the oil and it is cold out, I will warm up the engine to make the oil flow freer and quicker. The hot engine mandate came when we were all using straight 30W oil or 20W50. People would not wait long enough for the oil to drain. With the advent of 5W30, I doubt it makes much difference. If you pour it from a can at 40 degrees it comes right out.
    2004HL Maintenence reminder light in dash came on at 10k miles
    cant find procedure to reset it. no mention of it in manual.
    anybody
    BTW I was taught to change oil hot also, but this is ancient history. with the new oils I doubt it is necessary.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Check my previous post #1521. I have done it twice now. The directions are buried somewhere in the owner's manual.
    Finally found it
    Thanks
    before oil change will allow the oil to pickup and hold in suspension some of the particles that have settled into the bottom of the sump.

So you not only drain quickly, you get more of the "sediments" removed.
  • wbaywbay Member Posts: 34
    I test drove an '05 HL LTD and was able to reproduce the hesitation every time. Pre-04 models evidently do not have the drive by wire system, and don't experience the hesitation. The Salesman hadn't heard of the problem, but was a believer after the test drive. Just turning a corner and punching the accelerator was enough to cause the acceleration. Even on a straight stretch punching the gas pedal produced a noticable delay. Also drove an '05 Tundra and experienced no hesitation whatsoever. Have resigned myself to living with the problem, but have learned to alleviate it slightly by depressing the accelerator about halfway rather than flooring it, and actually stepping on the gas before I'm out of a turn. Dumb to have to do this, but it works reasonably well.
    on my test drivethere was this horrible vibaration when you pressed on the brakes salesman kept denying it was there.
    they also "have never heard of" any other pattern problems
    You know it makes absolutely NO sense to me that some have this hesitation problem and some like myself don't. I tried to reproduce it in a large empty parking lot by going 15 -20 mph and making either a sharp left or sharp right turn and then flooring it and it had no hesitation at all. I'm grateful I don't have it but the question is, why don't I and many others have the same problem. I currently have 5500 miles on my '04 HL.