Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You can't turn on the dome light from the dash.
    In my Limited model the two map lights can be turned on by pressing them.

Unfortunately if you leave a door ajar, the lights will stay on until the battery is dead.
    This is one of the features I said should be added to the Highlander in my Toyota survey. A battery saver. For gosh sakes the Focus has this as standard equipment.

Also I agree with you on the lack of illumination on some switches. Also I think you will find that the gauges are hard to read under some daylight conditions.

However, the pros far outweigh the cons. Overall a great vehicle.
  • sams_6sams_6 Member Posts: 15
    I agree. Highlander is very good in the important features like ride, acceleration, and reliability. Comfortable and quiet too. I did quite a bit of research and drove a number of vehicles before deciding on the HL. The lack of an opening rear window was something I overlooked but it wouldn't have changed my decision.

I just think it's funny that some small handy features that have been included in other makes of cars for years, if not decades, have still not made it the Toyotas.

One last thing - I haven't yet had trouble reading the guages in sunlight but I do have trouble reading the radio when I'm wearing sunglasses. My sunglasses are polarized and I suspect that the radio's digital display is also polarized.

Thanks for the response about the dome lights and battery saver (or lack thereof).
    Want to hardwire my radar detector into new HL. In my previous vehicles I simply mounted the unit high on the windshield near the rearview mirror and tucked the wire under the head liner and inside the windshield pillar cover.

My new HL however has side curtain airbags mounted into the windshield pillars and I don't want to mess around with them. Anybody suggest a good (and simple) route to get a wire up to the roof liner near the rearview mirror?
  • georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    My wife left the driver side door open on our 2005 V6 Highlander and the dome light did not automatically go off.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Highlander does not have battery save feature, so therefore light stays on. Even if it had the feature, the light would stay on till the battery gets too low,then the light would be shut off.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Toyota wants to hold back a few reasons to buy a Lexus.....

No memory seat in the Sienna....??
    My 97 Explorer interior lights shuf off automatically after about 30 minutes. I left the tailgate window open overnight a couple of times and it didn't kill the battery. Another time I was carrying a load and must have bumped the dome light switch to 'on'. Again, the lights shut themselves off well before the battery was drained down. Same thing if I turned on the cabin lights from the dashboard (another feature lacking in the HL).

Just was wondering if my new HL had a feature similar to the one in many domestic cars for over 10 years.
  • vlanman25vlanman25 Member Posts: 49
    HI: With about 2000 miles on a 2005 Highlander, I've discovered 2 paint chips. Granted it's Boston in March with lots of sand and stone on the road but this seems excessive to me given the short time. Has anyone else noticed this? Without a shield or bra is there anything that can be done to slow this down? Will waxing help?

Regards and safe driving,
    -Ken
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    the dashboard illumination knob has nothing to do with the interior dome light.
    you just need to press the light itself. that's how it works in my wife's HL.
  • greglawsongreglawson Member Posts: 20
    Toyota refuses to acknowledge their engine/tranny hesitation problems, so that should tell you something...
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " Toyota refuses to acknowledge their engine/tranny hesitation problems, so that should tell you something... "

Exactly....I agree with you 110%.

Both, in fact, I'm sure ALL manufacturers have had similar vehicles with difficult problems to fix, like the HL hesitation, Toyota sludge issue, Accord tranny, CRV PTTR & engine fires. I won't get in to the domestics.

Does that tell you something?
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    My 2002 HL has a switch right on the dome light. It allow it to ON, or OFF, or Door-Actuated. While some might prefer the dome light to be workable by the driver only, I like it the way it is. Easy for front-seat or rear-seat passengers to use it this way. All of the Asian manufactured cars use I've ever driven use this scheme.

Did Toyota get rid of the switch in the 2004-2005 models?
  • aussietrevaussietrev Member Posts: 2
    Please forgive me as I am not very car-technical!

Both the ABS and VSC lights have recently started to appear on my 9-month old 2004 CVX Kluger/Highlander. The appear and disappear randomly for no apparent reason. I took it into the Toyota mechanic who 'cleaned' the ABS sensors and sent me on my way. This 'fix' lasted for a day and the lights appeared again. I visited the mechanic again and it's been in the shop for over 2 days (and counting). The mechanic is checking the wiring between the sensors and the 'actuator' and, if that doesn't work, they have indicated that they will need to trace all the wiring through the transmission to the CPU.

The Toyota mechanic mentioned that he has never seen this problem before. Has anyone else seen this problem so I can help my mechanic help me! I really need my car back for the weekend!
    The dome light is above the rear seats in the Limited model with the moonroof. It does have the switch that you mention, but you can't reach it from the front seats. There are two map lights near the windshield that can be turned on by pressing them.
  • tab1reb2tab1reb2 Member Posts: 3
    Hello. I recently had my 04 Highlander tires rotated and the tire sensor light came on. I called the dealer who told me how to reset the light myself, which worked for only a few miles. I reset it a couple more times and it kept coming back on. When I took it in to the dealer, he apologized and informed me that the instructions he gave me were for a 4 Runner. He reset it properly and so far it's been fine. Perhaps your dealership is using the incorrect reset method.
    A few months back, I turned out of a parking lot and my VSC light went crazy and the wheels locked up. Completely, totally locked. I couldn't get above 5 mph before it would happen again. I was only a mile from a dealer and still had to have it towed. The dealer said he had never seen this happen before and was stumped for a couple of days and then was finally told by Toyota technical support how to reset the VSC computer (I would have been much more comfortable if they had replaced the computer as they originally thought they'd have to do). Since then it's been ok, but to be honest, I'm terrified it will happen again in a more dangerous situation (driving at high speeds or when making a left turn in front of oncoming traffic, wet roads, etc). Thankfully I wasn't going fast at the time it happened.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have seriously considered trading the HL in after that because it's a potentially very dangerous malfunction. I'd love to hear any thoughts on this or hear from anyone else that's had this happen--has it happened again after being reprogrammed?
    Still the same on 05 HL. Most domestic cars have the same functions (on/off/door) on the dome light(s). They also allow the driver to turn them all on regardless of setting by turning up the dashboard illumination control all the way. Turn the illumination knob back down and they go back to their previous mode.

Reason I asked the original question is:
    1) I couldn't figure out how to turn the dome lights on from the driver's seat. Turns out you can't.
    2) the dashboard illumination control has a noticeable detent when you turn it all the way up (as expected) but it doesn't fo anything. Acutally, I noticed later that this action does make the shift indicator light and clock go extra bright when the headlights are on.

Anyway, when I pull over at night to fish a map out of the seat back pockets, it'd be nice if I could turn on the center dome light from my seat so I could see what I was doing. That's all. It's a feature that has been in american cars for about 40 years.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    However, I don't think that you could diasble the dome lights coming on with the doors open on domestic cars without putting tape over the door jamb switch.

When I first started driving Japanese cars many years ago (about 1971), I noticed this difference as well, and missed being able to turn the dome lights on without reaching up and over my head...On the Highlander, I would have to have 6 foot long arms. At least we can reach the front map lights easily! I quickly adjusted, and would much rather have the reliabilty, refineness and resale values of the imports versus the ability to turn on the dome light from the drivers seat on the domestics.
    Anybody know how to remove interior windshield pillar cover? I've got an 05 HL with side curtain airbags mounted in the pillars. I want to get the cover off so I can run a wire up into the roof liner. I don't see any screws or fasteners. I definitely don't want to mess up the airbag.
    Check the brake fluid level and/or make sure the brake fluid reservior float switch isn't intermittent.
    Well..I did this on an '03 without the side curtain airbags...to install the auto dimming mirror w/ outside temp/compass. The trim piece just kinda pulls out, there are snap-in type fasteners built in...however, I share your concerns on the airbag-equipped model. Perhaps someone with a service manual will chime in with the answer.
    Does anybody know if the rearview mirror on 2005 HL uses a camlock mount or a wedge mount?
  • aussietrevaussietrev Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice - I'll pass this onto the Toyota technician. If it's not this problem, do you have any other thoughts because it has really stumped the technician and he's about to rip the car apart to check all the wiring!
  • kadskads Member Posts: 27
    Nobody wants a car with a problem, but it happens to them all. Assuming the number of problems is small, it's what the company does when a problem happens that counts. The concept is integrity and seems to be unknown to Toyota.

The point I tried to make was:

Honda has a transmission problem, admits it, fixes it and extends the warranty.

Toyota has a transmission problem, won't admit it and won't fix it.

In the future, I'm dealing with a company that demonstrates integrity, not just talks about it.
    Have you read the CRV forum in regards to the "Pull to the right (PTTR)" problem? Or how about the CRV engine fire issue that Honda has blamed sloppy technicians?

Go talk to the people over there and they will tell you that Honda is as you feel Toyota is.

I feel for people who have made a significant investment only to have a problem with the vehicle and then feel like they're not getting any respect from the manufacturer.

I'm not saying any of these problems don't exist. It's just that in my experience reading these boards, no manufacturer is perfect.
  • robert19robert19 Member Posts: 2
    Is your vehicle a 2004 Toyota Highlander?
    If it is the same thing happened to me and I was instructed to drive to the nearest service station and have them check the tire pressure, because that could have been the cause of the problem. If it was the tire pressure, then why didn't the "Low Tire Pressure" light come on?
    I know how you felt. It scared me to death because I had no control over the vehicle. I had AAA tow the vehicle, because I was not going to drive it.
    The mechanic told us later that they have been having a problem with that part. We only have seven thousand miles on the vehicle and as far as we're comncerned, it's not even broken in. Also, the dealership told us that it would be three to four days to get the part. If they've had a problem with that part, then why isn't it stocked locally?
    Yes, it is a 2004 fwd 4 cyl Highlander that probably had about 6,000-7,000 miles on it at the time. What part did they replace on yours? On mine they only reprogrammed the VSC computer after having to be guided through it by someone over the phone at Toyota Technical Support (I would have preferred a replacement). As I said, that doesn't make me feel terribly confident that it won't happen again, with possibly dangerous results.

If your mechanic said they've had this problem on more than a few vehicles, this should absolutely be a recall item. It's a dangerous malfunction and I've seriously considered trading the car in for fear it would happen again, but it sounds like this is a feature on most new cars so there's no guarantee it wouldn't still be a problem on a different vehicle.
    Insofar as I know, understand, there are only two sensors, uniquely involved in VSC activation. A yaw sensor (lateral accelerometer)is mounted low and near the center of the car. The RX's is under the rear seat. The second sensor is a stearing wheel rotational position sensor.

Vehicle speed is also key to having the firmware operate correctly.

I would first be suspicious of the yaw sensor, maybe having come loose from its "moorings", possibly even internally.

I have long suspected that the engine hesitation symptom many are reporting as occuring in an accelerated turn has to do with the VSC detecting impending roll-over and thereby quickly dethrottling the engine.

But that doesn't explain the straight ahead hesitation.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Highlander low air warning does not measure air pressure, it measures rotational speed of the wheels and when one wheel is different from the others, low air light will come on. If all 4 tires are low by the same amount, the light will not come on since all 4 will have same rotating speed. Another item not described properly in owner's manual.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    That makes sense. When the light came on in my HL, both rear tires were at lower pressure than the fronts.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    My 2002 4-cylinder Highlander had an erratic idle - sometimes too high, sometimes it would stall because it was too low. Turned out it was the Idle Speed Control Valve, or ISCV. Toyota dealer knew all about it - he even had an old (bad) one in his top desk drawer to show me. Toyota uses this ISCV method to control idle speed, and while they use different valves on the I4 vs. the V-6, they both get gunked up. Dealer offered to replace it for a little over $300. But I managed to clean my existing one, and now it runs better than ever. Starts instantly, cold or hot. The key is to get some Throttle Body Cleaner (TB Cleaner) into the upper port in the throttle body (need to remove intake air hose to get access). On the 4-cylinder, it's impossible to get to it with just the little 4" spray extender on the TB cleaner. Here's how I finally got it right, after 3 unsuccessful tries just using the 4" extender.

Best done with cold engine. Buy or borrow about 2-3 feet of small vacuum/fuel line - needs to be less than about 1/4" OD to fit. Also buy a can of Throttle Body Cleaner (do not use Choke Cleaner or WD 40 or anything but TB Cleaner) - you won't need much for this. Then remove the air intake hose. (Once you've removed this hose, DO NOT START THE ENGINE again until you replace it - you'll get a Check Engine Light if you get impatient, and the engine won't start anyway).

Then thread one end of the hose ALL THE WAY INTO the rectangular port that's just above the throttle plate - it goes about 1/2" up, at right angles to the throttle body itself. When it's all the way in, back it out a hair (to allow for the TB cleaner to flow out the end of the hose). Now, with the little spray extender on the TB cleaner in place, shoot some cleaner in to the free end of the hose for about 1/4 second. If you have safety glasses, wear them. Look away from the top end of the hose when you do it, too, so you don't get any into your eyes. (May not be a bad idea to seal off the hose/extender junction with tape). Long blasts fill up the hose, and the stuff shoots back at you and all over the engine compartment, so several short blasts are better than one long one. Give it 3-5 blasts. Then pull out the hose, and follow the TB Cleaner instructions for cleaning the rest of the TB. Then quickly replace all the hoses - this is important because the intake manifolds aren't metal - they're plastic. Once you're all buttoned up, you'll have to push the accelerator about halfway down to start the engine with all the liquid in the intake manifold. Once it starts, rev it a few times to burn off the TB Cleaner, and then you're done.

Let us know how this works for you. I saved myself $300 doing this. I hope it works for you and everyone with low or erratic idle.
  • khornkhorn Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I own a 2003 Highlander. On Wed. of this week my car began making strange clicking, clanging noises. Happened first thing in the morning on my way to work. Within 2-3 minutes of hearing the noise, my low oil light came on. I stopped immediately and put oil in my car. The oil light went off. I took the car to the dealership that same day. They say my engine is gone. Blame me for dirty oil. Since I don't have service receipts (I know...dumb me), they are voiding my warranty and charging me $6000 for a new engine. I know this has been a problem with other years of Highlander...I've spoken with 3 other mechanics who say NO WAY this should happen to a car with 29,000 miles. I had absolutely no indicator of any kind of problem before Wednesday. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Kim
    Do you have a 4 cylinder or a V6? Do you remember approx. when you last changed the oil and where was it changed? The last oil change should be on record in some business computer.

Toyota did have an engine sludge problem in some 3.0 Litre V6 years, but you are going to have to prove you changed the oil on a regular schedule.

Best of luck.
    NOT!

The way your post reads your engine failed because it was STARVED for lubricant. Just how much did you have to put in?
    Hi, I have a V6. I cannot prove my service. Does that mean I have no recourse? They said it was not a low oil problem it was a dirty oil problem. It just blows me away this could happen to a new engine. I would not have given it much more thought until I spoke with a few mechanics and conducted a google search under "toyota oil sludge." I am trying to track down records from my last change, but I know I will not be able to produce 5 receipts which is what they are requiring.

Kim
    I put in a quart immediately. The light went off. At Toyota dealership, they said it was not a low oil problem but a dirty oil problem.
    Kim
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Kim - Based on what you have said so far it is time to fight Toyota on this and please keep us inform on this forum of your progress. First try to reonstruct your oil change history if possible. Wherever it was done (unless you did it yourself) should have a computer record of it. Most oil change places keep a history of the cars they service. Tell them about your problem since they have a stake in this, too. If you can get them, go back to the same dealer with your records. If there are no records, then call the national Toyota customer service number and open a case with them. Ask for a regional service rep to look at your vehicle and give you a second opinion. If you can get the vehicle to a second dealer that would be helpful, too. Make copies of as much forum discussion of Toyota sludge problems as you can find and write a letter to Toyota national as a last resort.

You could also take a sample of your oil to a national oil testing lab to see what they say about it. Tell the dealer to give you some of the oil from your car so you can have it tested before you spend $6,000.

In my opinion there is no way you should have to pay for this. Toyota has had a big problem with oil sludge on pre 2002 models and I'm sure they don't want to open that discussion again. They have extended the warranty on my 2002 engine to 80,000 miles - not sure about 2003s. Having said all that, yours is the first 2003 model that I know has had that problem. Although Toyota has an excellent reputation for building good cars they are very quick to blame problems on owners instead of accepting responsibility. Fight hard!!

PS: If you can contact others that have had to fight Toyota on this, ask then how they went about doing it. I'm sure they will be very glad to help.
    Amazing. Without being able to prove you've had the work done within the allowed time frames and mileage intervals, you're SOL.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    The 2003 models are not included on the sludge policy, even though it is exactly the same engine. There was some minor tweaking of the engine head and PCV system, but that was it. The major redo of the engine didn't take place until 2004, so basically, the engine in the 2003 is the same sludge monster as in the 2002. That said, it is going to be an uphill battle to get Toyota to do anything about it. It is the owners responsibility to maintain the engine and you must be able to prove that you held up your end of the warranty. During the height of the sludge problems, Toyota was allowing proof of one oil change per year to suffice as proof of reasonable maintenance, so if you can prove that much, you may want to do battle. If not, you may as well hang it up and pay to get your engine repaired. That said, I would not pay $6,000!! That sounds like highway robbery. I read of people getting their engines cleaned of sludge for prices more in the $3,000 range. Go to some independent mechanic if Toyota isn't going to do anything for you.
    None of us really know enough to be jumping on Toyota about this yet. I'm personally suspicious that whoever changed the oil last simply didn't put the required level in the engine.

My 2001 911 only requires an oil change every 15,000 miles and my 2001 Lexus only every 7500 miles. I DIY oil changes and with this level of mileage the oil is NEVER what I would call dirty and in case of the Lexus I am always amazed that it simply doesn't burn any oil between changes.

So, even with NO changes at 29,000 miles I don't see how the oil could be that dirty or that much burned absent something wrong with the engine.

Or some gofer at a quick oil change only put three quarts in a five quart refill.

Given my own experiences at Lexus dealers regarding oil changes I'll vote for the latter problem until proven otherwise.
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    I agree with you Wwest. IMO, unless there's a more reasonable explanation, it isn't the engine. This tale has an odd dimension to it,like it's intent is to keep a long dead issue alive? Just too many coincidences at this stage.
    Right or wrong, I've gotta be honest about what I think is going on.

See you in a month.
    Vacation time.
    I agree, I too "smelled a rat". I'm always hesitant when I read a story like that from someone who just joined Edmunds fora yesterday.
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    I know it's off topic, and I won't belabor the point further, but it seems patented responses with the same theme always occur under the same circumstances.
    More like an advertising campaign than a typical discussion.
    Wish this was wrong, but I don't think it is.

Next post will be from Australia.
    En route tonite.
  • henrywanghenrywang Member Posts: 2
    On my '98 Avalon when I turn on the engine or turn off the engine, my doors lock/unlock automatically. Is there any way to enable this on my 2003 Highlander?
    No I don't believe there is a way to program this
    feature in the Highlander. I for one do not like automatic door lock controls. I like to lock my doors and unlock them when I want to.
    I was in no way implying that the poster was being deceptive. I was simply saying that we do not yet have enough information to be saying Toyota, or anyone, is at fault.

But admittedly the low oil issue bothers me more than anything else.
    bdyment, I second the motion, I also don't like the automatic door locks...I like having the control. However, I would also like to be able to unlock all doors with one push of the remote button, but dealer wants $50 to make this change. It says in the manual it is possible: "see your dealer"
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    This definitely sounds like a situation that merits getting a second opinion, either from a different Toyota dealer or from an independent mechanic that you trust.

I would also try contacting the Toyota corporate office if you haven't done so already.

When I had problems with my last car, I worked directly with the corporate office after getting the runaround from my local dealer. It was a much smoother process.

Good luck with whichever route you take.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    If khorn was a regular participant in automotive forums, he may have been more aware of the importance of being able to prove his maintenance, particularly in these engines that have reported sludge problems. I don't think lack of previous participation in this forum is a reason to get negative on the guy.

That said, I agree, it could be a problem of dirty oil, just as the dealership said, due to lack of oil changes. Or it could be as someone here suggested that the last oil change place did not fill it up to level or even really change the oil. But don't fault anyone with bringing up the sludge problem as another possibility when that has been a known problem with some of these engines.

Unfortunately for khorn, without proof of maintenance, regardless of the rest of the details, he has what is likely a losing battle with Toyota. There is a chance that Toyota would consider honoring the sludge policy on a 2003 model if he could give the same level of proof that is required of owners of 1997 - 2002 models.
    Wow. You all are tough on a person. My post to this forum was in no way an attempt to perpetuate or revive a "dead" topic. I came to your forum and joined after doing research on the internet about the sludge problem. I had hoped it would be a valuable resource. *This will be my last post* as I don't appreciate being accused of deception or mal intent.

FYI: For those of you interested, I learned today that my 2003 came off the production line in 2002 and is potentially one of he effected engines, per the Toyota service manager. My dealership is actively working with me to reach an amenable solution. I commend them.

I thank those of you who offered advice and support.