Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ttruongttruong Member Posts: 1
    My is 2001 Highlander. All I do is just press and hold the mode selector( the button that you use to switch the display to MPH, MPG, ET...) for 3 or 5 seconds.
  • hilandr05hilandr05 Member Posts: 18
    Could not get the Homelink in my 2005 Highlander to program and open the airport gate no matter how much I followed the directions and tried. Very frustrating since I did not have a problem with my Chrysler Town & Country.
    So I looked at the directions for programming the Homelink in my wife's Kia Sedona. Lo and behold, an extra step. It starts by giving instructions to erase the factory default by pressing the #1 and #3 buttos simultaneously until rapid blinking. So I did that, then followed instructions for gate opener. Now it works! :)
  • hilandr05hilandr05 Member Posts: 18
    I know it is not a bug, its a "feature", but I can't help thinking that average MPH doesn't do much for me. I would much rather have "miles until empty" as I have in other cars. :P
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "miles until empty" is that the computation for that is totally dependent on the historical, average MPG. Which means you should NEVER rely on it when the gas stations are some great(er) distance apart.

My 2001 C4 has that indication but I am aware that it is only reliable if I know the historical average MPG and am willing to maintain that level or better until I refill. Driving on the flat and level at 55MPH for the first 7/8 of a tank and then accelerating to 75MPH for the last, distance to empty, will leave you hiking to the nearest gas station every time.
  • atalost32atalost32 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2005 V6 Highlander at end of March 2005, and I've had to bring it into the dealership 4 times since because of the warning lights. Any input is much appreciated!!!

Trip 1: Warning lights on and stayed on overnight. Service center said my gas valve is loose and said to tighten it.
    Trip 2: Warning lights on and speedometer turned off while I was driving on the highway. Restarted car and speedometer was ok. Service center said they checked the entire system and couldnt find a problem.
    Trip 3: Warning lights on and speedometer turned off again. (Starting to get frustrated.) Service center changed some senor.
    Trip 4. Warning lights turns on and off sporadically so far for three weeks. (At the point of extreme frustration.) Once again, service center said they couldnt find the problem and sent me home.

At this point, I wish I never bought this car and I would never recommend this car to anyone. Not only have I wasted my $30,000, I've wasted so many hours just to bring my car into the service center which is half an hour away. I dont know about anyone else, but I dont have the time to waste at the mechanic. I didnt buy a brand new car to go and sit inside a mechanic shop. If anyone has had similar problems, PLEASE let me know. Maybe something can be done about this.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    That is frustrating but all vehicles, no matter how good their reputation, can have problems at times. You have been unlucky. Toyotas generally are hassle-free.

I also have an '05 HL V6 and I have had zero problems so far.

Sounds like a problem in the "computer" brain. You will need to persist at the dealers to find the answer, frustrating or not.
  • lgjavalgjava Member Posts: 48
    If it's just a computer problem that's one thing. If you have other problems with the car, that's something else entirely. How does it drive? My Highlander for example has crappy paint and steers to the left. Other than that though, my car drives like a dream. If it's any consolation I just took my brother's Volvo back because all his warning lights were on. Total price was $600. Then the battery died--all the fuses died again--all the warning lights back on. Come to think of it, the check engine light has been on since he bought his Volvo. The real question is mechanical--whether or not the car feels good and drives well. Computers can be fixed--just my two cents anyway.
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    I have an '04 Highlander and I think it is one of the best SUV's out there. Its practical, looks and runs great, and gives me decent gas mileage for an SUV. As I mentioned above, the only problem that I've had so far is the moon roof. It needs a new motor and other parts. I guess these types of things are going to occur. The dealer gave me a new loaner to use in the interim, and so far I ain't complaing..
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Also many states have "lemon laws" so you may want to check to see if your's has one and if it applies in your case. California for example has one that says something like, if, within the first 18 months of ownership of a new motor vehicle or 18,000 miles, the dealer isn't able to fix a problem affecting safety in 2 attempts, isn't able to fix a problem not affecting safety in 4 attempts, or the vehicle is out of service for a cumulative 30 days or more, the manufacturer is required to give you a new vehicle or refund your money. There are other guidelines as well. (desertguy, correct me if I'm wrong on this...)
    Replace the battery.

The most likely problem is an intermittently shorted cell within the battery.

In the alternative you may have a loose connection on one side of the battery, or to the output side of the alternator.

Friend of mine drove his brand new Ferrari Scarletti(??) from Seattle to Daytona this year with numerous service stops along the way. Just after the race, 24 hours of Daytona, it was towed, trucked, to Orlando for service, yet again, and it was discovered that the battery (-) connection was never tightened at the factory.

Uneventfull drive home.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    You nailed it landdriver. :-)
  • sus2sus2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone ever taken there Highlander to Jiffy Lube and shortly afterwards the check engine light comes on?
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I've read here that there is a tubing the gets removed from its fitting when they check the air filter, that sometimes doesn't get replaced back properly, causing the check engine light to come on.
  • phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    I haven't, but from posts I've seen here the first thing I'd check is all the vacuum hoses on the air cleaner. Apparently when it's opened to check the filter, there's a hose that comes off causing the check engine light to come on. Of course, if they didn't check your air filter..... then "never mind".

Phil
  • sus2sus2 Member Posts: 2
    Well, he had the filter in hi hands so thats a good place to check. thx.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    sound like Jiffy Lube is not the place that I am going to take my car to.
    I remember my wife usee to take her car over there and a regular oil change turned to some other jobs. She ended up paying close to $100 without knowing what had been done.

I always take my camry and HL to toyota dealer, $40.00 with syn. oil (5000 mile/ 4month) and a FREE car wash coupon from the car wash across the street
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    I had the dealer order the parts specifiedby the TSB to fix the window wind noise (when windows are all the way up you get wind noise, lower them 1/8 inch and noise stops but door glass rattles).

they installed the parts today, drivers side is better but passenger front window noise still goes away when you bump the window down.
    Must be a window design problem- the "fix" did not work on the passenger side
  • jhornjhorn Member Posts: 18
    Mine is a 2003 non-limited HL and also has the same problem. I took it to a dealer, and they replaced the door panels. The passenger side is better, but the driver side is the same as before they fixed it. I noticed that when I had the window all the way up, the glass pushed against the outside weather strip, lifting it up a bit, causing the noise. This may be the glass window faulty design. I took it back to the dealer and pointed it out. They said that they are waiting for an approval to replace the glass windows.

Hope this helps.

John
    the window pushes the weather strip out when fully up.
    the tsb was to fix that by putting in new design weatherstrip.

do you think the glass is shaped wrong?

let us know? thanks

mine is 04 non limited
    Hi all. I have an '05 Limited, with the JBL six disc changer... "type 2" as referenced on page 179 of the owner's manual. The radio portion has the ability to display the call letters and song info being broadcast...refered to as RDS, TEXT and MSG. The question: is it normal to have to press the TEXT button several times to get all the info? And it doesn't stay on the display more than a few seconds. I'd like for it to come on, and stay on, so new info is displayed as each new song is broadcast.

The manual states on page 184 that the message display will be cancelled if any button that affects the display is pushed .

My bro-in-law just got a Chevy Colorado as a company car, and his radio can continue to display this info without any button pushing....seems a much better system to me.

Anyone figure out if i am doing something wrong, or if mine is not working properly, poor design, or???

thanks!

Jeff
  • lgjavalgjava Member Posts: 48
    Maybe it's not the position of the weatherstrip but rather the material it's made of. The weather stripping on my two back doors looks perforated and degraded after about two years. The rubber might be too weak or fragile to prevent road noise.
    I just had mine replaced and rubber is new- part was made in feb of 05.
    I still get wind noise when window is all the way up. noise goes away when window is lowered 1/8 inch
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I don't have the fancy radio in my Highlander, but we have an '03 Matrix where the "info" stays on as you describe in your brother-in-law's Chevy.
    Thanks for the info. I believe the 03 Matrix uses the GM radio, which might be the same as the Chevy. I think Toyota switched to the Toyota sourced radio in the 05 matrix.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Now that you mention it, I think you are right about the GM radio on the '03.
  • hawkeye70hawkeye70 Member Posts: 43
    I have a '01 6 cyl HL with 44k miles. Yesterday afternoon I drove it about 8 miles and parked it for about 1 1/2 hours. When I returned to start it, it would start and immediately stop. I could only keep the engine running if I held the throttle open. So I was able to get home by keeping my foot on the gas and braking with my left foot. This morning it started and ran fine for a 15 minute drive to the store. When I came out and restarted it, the same problem occurred.

To me, it sounds like an electrical device controlling the idle speed is heating up when the engine is stopped and will not work upon restart. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior from their HL? Or have any ideas on what could be the problem? It's been a very trouble-free car up to this point. Thanks.
    Idle airflow bypass solenoid is not opening properly when heated.
  • eisraeleisrael Member Posts: 2
    Hello Hawkeye, I too have a 2001 Highlander and this problem of stalling upon a hot restart. It has been going on for 2 weeks now. Once I start it warm after having driven it for a bit the idle is way low and almost at the point of stalling. Usually if I tap on the gas pedal 2-3 times it will act normal and stay that way. You said that the Idle airflow bypass solenoid is not opening properly when heated. You must be a Toyota mechanic? I was a mechanic for 13 years from 1980 -1993 and this problem is over my head. Can I remove this solenoid and clean it out or something or should I just drive to my dealer and buy this piece and replace it? Your reply would be greatly appreciated. Eric
  • eisraeleisrael Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Did you replace the Idle airflow bypass solenoid? Did it fix your problem? Thanks
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I have the same problem in my 97 Camry but like the other mentioned, once I press on the gas and keep it there for a while, all the sudden, the idle will go back up and car runs fine.

It only happened when it's very sunny and warm.

If you can explan a little more about what the Idle airflow bypass solenoid is or how difficult it is for a regular guy to replace it, that will be great.
    at the moment, so don't have any of my Lexus shop manuals at hand, but....

When the throttle butterfly is fully closed the idle air bypass solenoid is used to provide the proper level of airflow for correct air/fuel mixture at idle. So it is typcially located downstream of the MAF/S very near the intake butterfly valve.
  • fofofofo Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am experiencing exactly the same condition with my 2005 HL V6 AWD. Were you able to find a solution ?
  • hilolibhilolib Member Posts: 1
    I understand that the sunroof can be programmed to close automatically when the ignition is turned off. Does anyone know how to program this feature in a 2002 Highlander Limited? :)
  • toyota3232toyota3232 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same exact problem and I saw two other post on it and I was wondering if you were able to resolve the problem??? My ABS, brakes, vsc, and trac lights will turn on and then turn off while i'm driving for no apparent reason. Its a 2005 V6 HL, and its been happening for a month now. I brought it to the toyota dealership for the second time and they're telling me that they used the scanner and all codes passed and it shows that the warning lights never went on at all. But i know it has and it has done so for at least two dozen times. They said they've never seen something like this before, but from the forum, I see that at least a few other ppl have the same problem. If you've had this problem, can you tell me what you did to fix it or is it a lost cause?
  • eddieeeddiee Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

I have a similar problem on the my 2002 6 cyl AWD.

My problem goes away after going over a few bumps and then comes back after parking and starting again. It's a dull thump like there was something banging on the undercarriage.

I complained several times during service and I was told that it is the brakes "setting up" or something like that, and it is normal.

Since mine always goes away within a couple of hundred feet I didn't pursue this.
    I also have a 7yr/100K extended warranty so I can keep an eye on it.
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    One possible explanation for a dull clunking thud is sound of the brake pads shifting from forward braking to rearward braking in their caliper. If you think about the way the pads float -- they have to so that they can slide freely -- there has to be some slack. Sometimes, when they get a little worn they get enough slack so that you can hear them hitting the caliper. It is easy to identify -- it should happen the first time you apply the brakes when going forward after using them when going backward . . . and vice versa. Instead of wear, it may also be a new set of pads that doesn't fit as well as the old ones.

And of course . . . there may be another reason for the thud.
  • toyotabotoyotabo Member Posts: 13
    Hi Everybody
    Just wondering if anyone else has this problem? My 6month old HL seat back just about belt high has a blue stain. Seems to be from blue jeans. Tried to remove with all types of leather cleaner, no luck, dealer said it may need to be redyed . is this my only option? and why is this happening with it beiing so new?
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I had the same thing happen. I don't know about you, but I like the very dark blue jeans, and I think some excess dye must just rub off on the leather.

Occasionally I've gotten in the car when it's raining and my jeans are slightly damp, so that might really be the culprit.

The stain on my seat is very faint, but I haven't bothered to try to clean it off, since I wear dark jeans all the time. At first it really bugged me, but then I stopped caring, for whatever reason.

I think it's just a case of dark jeans on light leather.
  • hawkeye70hawkeye70 Member Posts: 43
    You guys were right on the diagnosis. I went to the dealer who told me the same thing even before I finished telling him the problem. The bottom line: replaced "idle valve assy" and gasket for $253 parts and $220 labor =$473 total. Idle valve assy p/n 22270-20050 and gasket p/n 22215-20010 in case anyone else has this problem and wants to replace it themselves. I looked under the hood to see where this part was, and it took me a while before I located it beneath the aluminum intake pipe. Thanks for the help!
    do I have a twin I never knew??
  • bobg5bobg5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Highlander and your description fits one of the various erratic operations that my vehicle exhibits. One other failure of the fault that could help troubleshoot the problem is that all of the cluster indicators/illuminators are affected in the worst case scenario, i.e. when they all fail, including the back-lite dimmer lights, except for the turn-signal indicators. There has got to be a connector or ground connection that is common to these indicators. My vehicle only began to exhibit this failure mechanism in the past 6 mos.
  • bobg5bobg5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Highlander and your description fits one of the various erratic operations that my vehicle exhibits. One other failure of the fault that could help troubleshoot the problem is that all of the cluster indicators/illuminators are affected in the worst case scenario, i.e. when they all fail, including the back-lite dimmer lights, except for the turn-signal indicators. There has got to be a connector or ground connection that is common to these indicators. My vehicle only began to exhibit this failure mechanism in the past 6 mos.
  • jasuja2000jasuja2000 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 05 , highlander with 5000 miles on it. Recently I have started noticing vibration in the steering wheel , when stopped at the red light. When I looked under the hood , with car running , gear in "D" ( had somebody step on the brakes for me). I could see it was because engine shaking violently. And when you shift the gear to "P" vibrations goes away. Has anyone experienced this?
    thanks!
  • jasuja2000jasuja2000 Member Posts: 5
    hmm....could it be because of excessive engine oil? I recently had an oil change from dealer??
    thanks...
  • condenadocondenado Member Posts: 6
    If you own a Toyota Highlander, then I hope what happened to me doesn’t happen to you.

I posted my original message #2657 on May 1, 2005. It describes the problems I experienced with water leaking into the passenger compartment of my 2002 Highlander during heavy rains.

The short version: it took two Toyota dealerships and one independent body shop over three weeks to find the leaks: tailgate area, taillights, and windshield/roof area over the driver’s side. The leaks are a result of a defective sealant used by Toyota in manufacturing the vehicle. To replace all the damaged materials, the dealership had to remove the entire interior, including the dashboard. I took my car to the original dealership – Toyota of Long Beach – on April 28th and got it back on June 11th. Final total was $2,811.41.

Although the vehicle was clearly defective, since the car was technically out of warranty with only 43, 340 miles when I took it in, Toyota Motor Corporation refused to “participate”, in the words of the service manager. Fortunately, AAA Insurance covered the incident, which reduced my payment to my deductible of $500 and considerable rental car expenses. Note to extended warranty owners: if you bought, like I did, a Platinum Toyota extended warranty, it SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES damage by rain.

I did contact Toyota Customer Service at the 800 number and the CSR took down the details of my incident, which he promised to investigate. He called me back the next day to say that after speaking to the dealerships and the Regional Company Rep, the damage was attributed to unspecified “environmental damage” and as such would not have been covered by Toyota even if the car had still been under warranty! He did offer $200 in credit for future service, but I declined. I asked to be referred to someone else at Toyota but he refused to refer me to anyone, saying that the case was closed as far as Toyota Customer Service was concerned. He said I was free, of course, “to pursue this case out of Toyota” which I guess is a their way of saying “Go ahead and sue!”

So I am discussing my options with my lawyer. Since 1987, I have purchased and four different Toyota vehicles and have been satisfied with each one until now. I am especially impressed with the fit and finish, but I am paying for my product loyalty now.

If you suspect or find evidence of passenger compartment leakage, have Toyota inspect and repair your vehicle immediately. I recommend you start putting money away, just in case. You won’t know if your car is defective until it’s too late.

If you or your Toyota dealership wants more information on this incident, you can contact Toyota of Long Beach at http://www.toyotaoflongbeach.com/. Address your inquiry to the Service Manager, Lonnie and reference the defective gold 2002 Highlander with the severe interior flooding.
    I noticed that the title didn't show on this post, maybe it was too long or maybe it was censored. The title of that post is "Defects result in thousands of dollars damage to 2002 Highlander".
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Let me make sure I understand you correctly.
    Your vehicle is out of warranty.
    There is a defective seal, which resulted in water damage.
    You had other insurance that covered all but $500 of the repairs.
    And your still going to sue Toyota and probably the dealer........amazing........
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    Mike, take it with a grain of salt.
    On the internet it's a rare thing to recognize differences between truth and fiction--or perhaps any combination of the two.
    Mike, please read my post again, especially the part about Toyota not covering the repairs even if the vehicle had been under warranty. This defect is insidious because you may not detect it until too late. It may very well have happened during the warranty period, but that is irrelevant to Toyota. Why should I and the insurance company - who eventually I pay - take the hit? If you look at other automotive sites you will discover that there are other Toyota owners with similar problems.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I did read that part, and yes I'd agree with you that if the bad seal allowed water in, Toyota should pay for the damaged interior, if the vehicle was still under warranty.