Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• andy603andy603 Member Posts: 59
    thx to this forum I can call my dealers bluff. Im sure he knew about the rebates earlier today which is why he happened to lower his price by $1000 'because it was a demo' but didn't offer that yesterday. Great leverage, keep the info coming!!
  • richardmayorichardmayo Member Posts: 26
    Technoz - Does the release state if the rebate is applicable to leases as well as purchases?
  • technoztechnoz Member Posts: 34
    Not sure if the rebate is applicable to lease sorry..
  • auchristynaauchristyna Member Posts: 19
    It appears that many dealers in the Houston area no longer have the 2009 trim level I want. My only other criteria is gray interior, so that limits the availability even more. Seems if you are flexible on colors or getting a demo with some mileage, then more options are open...at least for the EX-L RES. Unless they offer even more incentive, I may just spend the extra $1500 to get a 2010 model with the colors we want and no miles.
    So far the best quote I am getting for 2009 EX-L RES is $30431 + TTL.
    not too bad. If the dealer still gets their 3% holdback off of MSRP (about $1063) and invoice is $32191...do the math 32191-1063-1250 (incent) =$29878 dealer cost. They're making about $553 on the car...well, plus whatever 'doc fee' they are charging=total profit...minus sales commission...they still do OK on this deal but I suspect that you're now playing a little roulette because the vast majority of consumers dont come to this forum and are not as smart as we all are...therefore, you have some risk if you really want that car, color and make, of it being gone in the next few days...tuff call ! :confuse:
  • smadhusmadhu Member Posts: 16
    Hi all I got call from Dealer saying 1250 Cash rebate on 09 ody.I know this is less compared to june end Incentives(Which i missed in last min).Do we get any dealer discount too? did any body got Quotes for EX-L/RES.please share.Thanks!
  • msred3msred3 Member Posts: 2
    We were just quoted $30,150 for an Odyssey EX-L Res including destination and the rebate. Additional costs were $493 for "required" add-ons (all-weater mats, cargo liner and splash guards - worth $315 on an OEM aftermarket dealer site), $275 doc + title fees and tax.
    I suggest you push back on the dealer add-on's. That is crazy to pay $500 for items you don't want....if you do want them that is a different story. I have yet to pay for any dealer add-on's. I tell them that I will walk out of the sale if they charge me for extra items that I do not want and didn't request. I won't turn you down if they are desperate enough to sell the car. Just my opinion.....seems that most of the dealers in my area add on these extra. It is easy additional profit for them. If I want the extra's, I will request it...otherwise I will not pay for it.
  • meetommeetom Member Posts: 1
    MSRED3, where are you located? I'm in SF Bay Area and the best quote I got is $30750 + tax + lic, etc
  • msred3msred3 Member Posts: 2
    Actually, those are add-ons that I find useful that I would purchase outside of the car purchase transaction so I would be paying about $180 extra for them through the dealer which is the true cost to me. I am located in Columbus, Ohio.

Msred
  • jdephdjdephd Member Posts: 2
    Is this rebate posted anywhere? I have searched the 'Net and can't find it posted anywhere except here. Thanks.
    I haven't found the rebate posted either, but several of the dealers have told me it is $1250 starting today.
  • jdephdjdephd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I wonder if it is a national rebate or a regional one...

I've been waiting to see what rebates they would offer. I'm interested in the EX-L with RES. I've had the EX-L with RES and NAV quoted for 33,230. That seemed high, even with the NAV.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Rebate 1250 is just 50% of June incentive 2500
  • parparbogeyparparbogey Member Posts: 3
    Do you think this is a good price in central NJ for 2009 Ex 24951 , 670 dest ,249 doc plus tax and reg. plus 0% interest They also told me 1250 incentive runs out on Friday. I missed the last incentive dont want to miss another. Thanks
  • tyler18tyler18 Member Posts: 1
    A dealership salesperson in Central TX quoted $28,400 for a 2010 Honda Ody EX excluding TTL. Can we do better, or is this a good deal? The inventory in our area seems limited right now (maybe because of cash for clunkers program?). Would it better to wait until more 2010's arrive at the dealers?
  • stevekalstevekal Member Posts: 13
    The carsdirect.com price for the 2010 Ody EX is $28,608, and there is usually at least a few hundred extra dollars below the carsdirect pricing that you can wring out of a dealer directly. IMO you are on your way to getting to a good price, but shop that price around via email to another dealer and get the other dealer to beat it. Then take the new price you get and get another dealer to beat it.

Also if you are planning on keeping the car for a number of years, consider getting a 2009 model, which right now has an additional $1250 of dealer incentive savings ... my point about if you are keeping the car for a long time is, in the short run a 2010 will depreciate less, but after 4-5 years, it probably doesn't make a whole heck of a difference in its value, a 2009 vs 2010. My understanding is that the cars are pretty much identical except for a different grille ... maybe a couple other tweaks.
  • shelbymomshelbymom Member Posts: 3
    I found a NEW 2008 EX-L on a local dealer's web site today. Has only a few miles. MSRP is listed as $34,445 which is actually higher than the 2010s. E-mailed dealer for quote and waiting to hear back. What do you think would be a good price for this one considering it's 2 model years behind? Also any idea on why they'd still have an 08? Thanks!
    I didn't find this offer through Net ,I got mail from dealer to my personal mail ID.He is asking me whether i am still in the market or not .My concern is ."Buying 2009 for this price is Reasonable or not"

Can anybody suggest me.Thanks!
    what exactly are you asking? prices paid for EXL-N are given in several posts the last 24 hours...just read through them.
  • gmp922gmp922 Member Posts: 7
    We are supposed to pick up our new '09 today, but the dealer called yesterday saying it may be put on hold cause they aren't validated for the cash for clunker program yet,(turning in 85 conversion van) but hoping by today. Anywho yesterday I got a call from a competing dealer I'd been working with and all of a sudden he can beat this guys price by 90 bucks when just last week he was 1100 higher and said no way he could come down to go with the other guy. MMM now I know why he can lower his price..ok so I've signed a buyers agreement w/the guy who isn't validated, any way I can re-negotiate w/him or are we done since the buyers agreement was signed last saturday. I want this van cause of the color ocean mist, the other dealer has a mocha one.
  • stevekalstevekal Member Posts: 13
    the dealer you signed the agreement with will want to get the deal finalized/funded by the end of the month, and they will want to get their cash-for-clunkers status resolved ASAP. Assuming you did a good job of negotiating in the first place, then for $90 I'd rather have my first color choice.
    Most definetley I want my color choice but how long do I wait for him to get the clunker status? I'm thinking if he doens't have it by tomorrow I take my cash and go to the other place and buy the color that is 2nd choice. Also do you think I can negotiate my current dealer to throw in some extra's like maybe sealant, fabric protection and let him know I know about the 1250 cash rebate? It's 10am and I"ve not heard from the guy yet. We are supposed to go at 2:30 to pick up the van.
    UPDATE: Called my dealer, he says none of the Honda Dealers in our area have been validated for cash for clunkers said I can go on Cars.gov and see this myself. Said if others are selling they are taking a chance but his owner won't deliver till they get their validation from the gov't. They are working on it should've been by now they've been on the phone finally got a person but it's a bunch of hoops. Anywho he will give me the 1250 off the price which would be 22758...total price OTD after all is said and done is 19,762..this is for the LX. I think I gotta go with this uh? I hope they get their validation and I don't get screwed. The other dealer said I can go and pick their van up now but it would be 21k OTD.

P.S. my salesman said this 1250 doesn't go away with July
  • jt_in_kcjt_in_kc Member Posts: 11
    With regards to the rebate, just got a note last night from a dealer that the $1,250 rebates were released. I'm in Kansas City.

Also spoke to one dealer who gave me a price of $32,970 for EX-L RES....didn't mention the rebate but menioned that he would sell it to me at or below invoice to get the sale....he is off for vacation leaving friday...I'm going to sweat him a little....
  • czpczp Member Posts: 15
    I've been talking with dealers here in the Cleveland-Akron area of Ohio for a couple of weeks and they all kep saying that there are no rebates or incentives on the '09 Ody. Are the rebates you all talking about specific to a particular region or is is being done nationally through Honda? :confuse:

BTW- Best quote I've gotten on a 2009 EX-L w/o dvd and w/o nav is $29,885, which does not include doc fee, t&t. Is there more wiggle room to work with here? A lot of dealers are starting to run low on '09's an are trying to convince me to wit for the '10, but they are a little more $$ for the exact same car, IMO.
    czp i'm working with Rick Rousch Honda in Medina, OH on 18 he acknowleged that they have the 1250 rebate...just came out yesterday.
    Excellent to know. I just contacted the guy I've been e-mailing at Classic in Streetsboro and am waiting hear what he has to say. Did you get a quote from your guy in Medina?
    Yes but we are getting the LX and the quote w/o tax is $22508.92.
    16K cars sold through Clunkers Program. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that as of early today, 16,351 cars and trucks had been purchased under the program, using just over $68.9 million of the program's funds. NHTSA says a total of 250,000 vehicles should be able to take advantage of the program. [Detroit News] http://www.detnews.com/article/20090729/AUTO01/907290397/1148/rss25

· 'Clunker' Sales Raise Worry. Car dealers on Wednesday began expressing concern that the government's "cash for clunkers" incentive program could run out of money as soon as the end of August due to strong initial response from consumers. J. McEleney, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association said he suspects the $1B set aside for the program could run out within a month based on early response. Chrysler Group LLC said its dealers saw a two-year-high in traffic last weekend, though only some one-third of those who came in for the clunkers program had vehicles that qualified.http://sbk.online.wsj.com/article/SB124891744373492335.html#mod=rss_wh- ats_news_us_business

· Federal refunds to dealers tripled on Tuesday, the third day of the cash-for-guzzlers program, as some dealers expressed concern that the program's $1 billion budget would soon be depleted. The U.S. Transportation Department approved $68.9 million in reimbursements as of early Wednesday morning, up from about $17 million the day before, agency spokesman Rae Tyson said in an interview. [Automotive News] http://www.autonews.com/article/20090729/ANA02/907299977/1078
  • nikunjnikunj Member Posts: 5
    CZP, Does your best price include 1250 rebate ? Before 2.5K discount ran out, I had a quote for EX-L model for $26,672 plus all other fees, title and tax. Based on 1300 difference now, it should be around 28K as base price.

I am also looking for one, but not getting good deal at this time. It seems with CFC, Honda has pulled out their incentives for their minivans.
    No, the best price did not include the rebate. I just e-mailed a couple dealers I've been working with to give me new quotes. I

I'm still fuming that the junior salesperson that took us on our test drive in June said nothing to us about the $2500 rebate. We were still in the looking/curious phase, but could have been enticed with a truly good deal. His idea of a "good deal" was $1000 off sticker. :mad:
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    My wife and I are looking at the 2009 or 2010 Ody. We plan to keep the vehicle for a long time. In my area, there are not many 2009's left. My question is 3 part. One, should we pay no more than invoice and two, would you advise leaving the trade out of the deal and selling privately? We have a 2003 CRV(paid off) that I plan to trade or sell, but in the past dealing a trade was a hassle. There is a tax break and hassle factor to consider when trading, but probably could get up to 1,500 grand more if I sold outright. Three, should we try the online quote route like is shown on Edmunds or just go the old route and travel to the dealer.

Great forum by the way.
    I would first start by spending a worthwhile hour on this forum and go back about 6 months and start reading the threads. Your question is common and its been answered a bunch of times. I dont mean to be rude, but your questions are for sure real and good and this forum has some great advice . An hour well spent IMHO. :)
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The real hassle is selling yourself. You will be negotiating off your asking price with strangers. The 1500 you expect to gain is reduced by the net savings in sales tax on the reduced payoff and the actual selling price. For every 1k you get in trade in Illinois you reduce your tax by $65. Try for $750 over what you expect in a trade and hold to that.
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks, it was useful to run thru the past few months. I still do not understand how some folks are getting 2k - 3k below invoice. Probably has something to do with high inventory in some areas. There are very few 2009's in our area(middle tennessee). I may try and get a 2010 for invoice and go no higher since I am not in a great hurry. Of course now I have my wife all excited about a van. We had 3 of them when our kids were growing up and she wants one now that we have a grandchild and one on the way.
  • transam_1transam_1 Member Posts: 3
    When evaluating new vs. used a month back, I did some calculation I would like to share/raise discussion. My calculations assume that regardless of new or used;
    -Vehicle life would be up to 130k miles.
    -Pay in cash resulting in No Financing costs in either case
    -Rate of Return on the money saved up front on used vs. old is 4%
    -Property Tax and Insurance was negligible.

NEW: 09 Ody EXL w/Res
    - Quoted Price of $29704 (incl. Dest. and Admin)
    - Cost Per Mile: $0.2433 (Price/130k miles)

USED: 06-08 Ody EXL w/Res 40,000mi
    - 130,000mi - 40,000mi = 90,000 miles X $0.2433 = $20,264
    - 3.7 year ROI for $9440 Initial cost diff. of New vs. Used = $2,225
    - Equivalent Used Price Target: $20,264+$2,225 = $22,489.29

For one, it was difficult to find a good condition used Ody at the $22.5k price point. In addition when incorporating the other unmeasured factors such as Warranty, having first 40K miles in a new vehicle, knowing vehicle history, etc. the decision became easy to go new opposed to new.

Does this comparison seem logical or am I missing something?
  • bigdon2bigdon2 Member Posts: 12
    I test drove an Ody EXL-with rear ent, and a Sienna LXE yesterday. Here is what I felt.

For the Ody-EXL, it has much more space inside. I can sit in any seats without feeling squeezed in any way. It has an eighth-seat, in the middle of the second role, which can be partially removed (becomes a cup holder) or totally removed. It has a floor-storage space in the second row, which is big enough to hold the middle seat if removed partially. The driver and passenger seats in the second row are both auto adjustable, with latches, and can be moved forward. But the middle seat is not for a kid in any sense. Only one seat in the third row has normal latches though--the other two seats each has one latch at the back (not sure how to use them, maybe it's just me). Also, it only has curtains for the second-row seats, but not for the third-row seats. Liked the rear view camra, blue-tooth, and MP3 features. The dealer says there is a new incentive for 2009 models ($1250 off).

For Sienna LXE, it looks much fancier inside with hard-wook like handles and cup-holders, and colorful panels. But an adult will not feel very comfortable sitting in the third row. I am just 5'8'', but my legs cannot even fit there straight. It only has 7 seats, no floor-storage in the second row. Seats all have latches. It has a moon-roof but doen't have a rear DVD (you have to choose between a moon-roof and a DVD or install a DVD on the back of a seat). The dealer says they do not have 09 Sienna any more, and have no incentives for 2010 so far...

I didn't feel much difference in terms of road noise, and bumper suspension.
    msnbc.com: BREAKING NEWS:  Government to suspend 'cash for clunkers' program, sources tell AP

Find out more at http://breakingnews.msnbc.com

======================================================
    See the top news of the day at msnbc.com, and the latest from TODAY and NBC Nightly News.

=========================================
    This e-mail is never sent unsolicited. You have received this msnbc.com breaking news newsletter because you subscribed to it or, someone forwarded it to you.
    To remove yourself from the list (or to add yourself to the list if this message was forwarded to you) simply go to
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25810724, select unsubscribe, enter the email address receiving this message, and click the Go button.
    Microsoft Corporation - One Microsoft Way - Redmond, WA 98052
    MSN PRIVACY STATEMENT
    http://privacy.msn.com
  • shelldmshelldm Member Posts: 4
    To get the color we wanted for an '09 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES, we are purchasing one for $30,480 + taxes and tags. With the incentives, our initial quote was $29,910 + taxes and tags. They said they had to charge us for accessories plus transportation, since apparently there was only one left of the color we liked. Do you think we made a good deal considering the incentives are on now? Thank you so much for your input. I have enjoyed this forum very much.
    glad it was helpful. Its actually quite reasonable to get it that low when you had a $2500 incentive plus a holdback of 3% (from MSRP). When you know both of those things you negotiate from a position of strength. Very few dealers will volunteer any incentives and they really never talk about holbacks and any other 'special' dealer kickbacks, competitions, quotas, etc. You should never, in my opinion, pay over dealer invoice because a dealer NEVER pays invoice for a car- they usually get 2%-3% holdback as profit. If you plan on keeping the car for say 4/5+ years I dont think its worth waiting on a 2010 because of depreciation. If you can find a 2009 before tomorrow (incentive apparently runs out then) I'd snap it up- even if you have to drive a couple of hours to find one...thats what the internet and phones are for...search on edmunds first for all dealers in a certain radius, call them all and work a deal BEFORE you see a salesman. Let me know if you have any more questions! good luck
    I think you made a good deal...the best price I can find is $31,500 + TTL. That is probably the best deal you will get until the new year when they start doing incentives for the 2010 models.
  • bostondude001bostondude001 Member Posts: 20
    I found something similar at a local dealership. I found out that they have no real huge manufacturer rebates? In addition some dealers use this as a bait & then tell you it was sold. Beware!
    Thats exactly why I research *and* negotiate from the comfort of my own home and only go to the dealer to sign papers and look at the car. :)
  • surewinsurewin Member Posts: 9
    Good deal IMO. We also just jumped on a 09 EX-L w/RES (in the color we wanted as well) for $30,188 +TTL. Side note: did this all online with the only dealer who would acknowledge the $1250 in NC.

Have there been slightly better deals/offers posted then ours... yes - but you can't get hung up on a $100 here or there unless you could absolutely care less about color, options etc... we got the car we wanted for 5000 off MSRP. At the end of the day... not bad. ;)

Great forum BTW. For all the non-posters reading these reviews - I was one of you yesterday. I gained the info and knowledge I needed from all the people who took the time to post and hopefully after you make your deal - you will too.
  • schkathrobschkathrob Member Posts: 4
    I am new to these boards. An accident (no one hurt) earlier this week in our 11 yr old Dodge Grand Caravan has pushed us to replace the car. We were only going to keep it another year or two, anyway. So we're going to replace it now rather than putting any money into repairs. We would like to get a new 2009 EX, but they are in very short supply where we live - Westercher County NY. It is looking like we may have to buy a 2010. I can't find the invoice price anywhere. We got one online quote so far from Yonkers for $27,950. I don't know if that is a good price.

Something else we're considering - if the C4C gets more funding really soon - is trading the old car in under the program for an EXL. The EX doesn't qualify with the mileage, but the EXL would because it is rated 20 mpg. It seems like it would be about a wash with the $3500 we would get back and the higher price for the EXL. Is that true?

What I really need is the invoice price for the 2010 EX and EXL and some guidance on what would be a good price to pay for either one.

Thanks so much for any feedback.
  • jwp10jwp10 Member Posts: 2
    I too appreciate all the helpful information and opinions that I have found on this forum. We are looking to buy a 09 Ody w/ Nav & Res. Origianlly just Res but I like how the Nav screen cleans up the dash (way too many buttons!) and I hope it will help on trips).

I received internet quotes from 6 different dealers which ranged from 33,466 to 33,253. I thought those were kind of high based on my research (and then based on this forum after finding it and reading through back posts) so we were holding out. We tried to haggle and countered with 31,000 but most all dealers said the Internet quote was as low as they go. Only one dealer dropped to 32,453 but we still wanted to get the price lower trying to hit the pricing others were getting during the 2500 rebate so we decided to wait. We also started thinking about just waiting for the 2010s which have been rolling into dealers.

My husband received a call from one of the dealers on Wednesday who told us about the new rebate (he said it was $1000). I checked this forum and found others saying 1250 so I emailed our lowest bid and asked if they could meet/or come close to our target price with the new 1250 rebate. This would have put us around 31203. They said the could do it but now we are unable to get in touch with them :mad: .

Last night my husband called the dealer with the second lowest quote (who we wanted to do business with anyway) and mentioned the dealer call/rebate. He was able to drop the price down to 32000 so it looks like that is what we are going to take (we do need a car asap).

Hopefully all works out today...I will post a final price once the deal goes through.
    Hi I got Below quote for EX-L with DVD from Dealer .What do you think about this price?Please suggest.

sale Price - $30,346
    Document Fee - $151.65
    Sales Tax - $2,222.34
    New License Plates - $144
    Total - $32,863.99
    :shades: I would take that deal....it is a fair price OTD. Good luck. Where are you located? I'm in KC, and have told my guy that I would take the above for $30,500....waiting to see if he will deal.

JT