Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    I am sorry to hear of your bad experience. I have had my 2005 Highlander V6 AWD for over two years and 35K miles and love it. Fast smooth acceleration and a quiet smooth ride and drivetrain that is as good as any I have driven, and better than most. I also have a couple coworkers and a neighbor with the same cars and I have talked to them a lot, and they have nothing but great things to say. In fact I have yet to meet anyone in real life who does not agree that the Highlander is one of the best mid sized SUVs available today.

We liked ours so much we recently got a 2007 so both my wife and I would have these wonderful, safe cars to drive. Based on Toyota's published sales data there are way over two million Toyotas on the road with this exact drivetrain, and you will be hard pressed to find enough people with complaints to total even one tenth of one percent of those cars.

I am happy you found a car that you like. We love our Highlander and would highly recommend it to anyone.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Same here. No problems in 25K miles. We still love it. Any Honda shoppers should read their boards before buying. They are far from trouble free.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Ditto here as well. I've got 3 Toyotas (Tundra, HL, and Tacoma) and a Honda CRV in the family, none have been perfect (but close).
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    It is nice to hear that many folks love their Highlanders since I have an 07 on order. I was getting a little worried after reading all the sour grapes about the "shifting" problems. Since then I have interviewed at least 6 current Highlander owners with nothing approaching those problems either.

IMO it must be a very, very small number of vehicles having this problem since the Highlander continues to be near the top of the Consumer Reports reliability reports.
  • goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    We have two Highlanders. One for the wife(2001) and one for me (2002). Both are 2WD Limited and both have been great automobiles.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    In 2003, we bought a new 2003 Highlander V6 2WD and loved it so much, in mid 2005 we added a 2005 limited V6 2WD to the family. They have both been excellent vehicles, the 3.3L V6 and the 5 speed automatic in the '05 feel more powerful than the 3.0L 4spd automatic on the '03, and the '05 also gets better fuel mileage. They have both been virtualy perfect driving vehicles, with only 1 or 2 minor warranty issues combined. Quite possibly, 2 of the best vehicles we have ever owned, and I have owned over 45 vehicles in my 55 years.

Before buying the 05, we read with great interest on these same forums, about hesitation issues that a repeated few were reporting. We test drove many, many examples of Toyota corp vehicles with this engine/trans combo, and never did experience the dreaded hestiation, so we bought it. I will say, that for a while, I half expected it to raise it's head, but.....It has been almost exactly 2 years, and about 30,000 miles of perfect performance.

When the Camry Hybrid came out in June 06, I just had to have one, and we decided it made sense to replace the "older" of the Highlanders with a more fuel efficient vehicle, so we traded the 03 HL on the 07 Camry Hybrid.

It does make more sense to have one utility vehicle, and one "economy" vehicle, (rather than 2 SUVs) altho, had it not been for the Camry Hybrid, I would probably made a new personal record for the time owned on a single vehicle with the 03... I suspect that the '05 will now take that title, as we love it, and have absolutely no reason to even consider it's replacement in the forseeable future.

To stay more or less on topic, on the '05, we change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals, rotate the tires (5) at 7,500 miles, and I just changed the air filter. Other than that, i don't think the 05 has been to the dealer for a single warranty issue...and I am VERY picky... and sensitive to sounds, rattles, hesitations, surges, vibrations, etc.

Sorry for long post.
    Don't be sorry for the long post. Lots of encouraging stuff for us potential Highlander buyers. I keep reading about the "hesitation" issues. However, I have test driven at least half a dozen Highlanders and cannot identify this as a problem. Nor can I get that issue from any current Highlander owners in my area.

I am not saying that it doesn't exist, I can only say that it is not in my actual experience either test driving or discussing the issue with Highlander owners.
    Remember, people with problems tend to post on these boards. Owners with no problems don't. The vast silent majority is out here. You are making the right decision. Just test drive the actual car you are buying and don't take it off the lot until it is to your satisfaction.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

The observation that "Whingers post, happy folk keep their mouths shut" seems apt. That said, I had some minor issues with the shift points for the trasnmission in my 2005 Klugerr (Highlander). Problem was largely fixed by a Flash of the ECU to amend trasnmission shift points. However, shifting can be a bit rough as a consequence of driving patterns. The transmission control is adaptive and responds to recent driving patterns. When the problem has cropped up, I have found that very rapid acceleration / deceleration through three cycles solves any transmission shift issues.

Now having mentioned this, I responded to one poster explaining the remedy and that it was a consequence of his recent driving pattern. His immediate response was to interpret it as confirmation of his view that the vehicle was defective. Reminds me of onw mechanic who assured me that the one part he could not fix was the nut behind the wheel!

Cheers

Graham
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    where is there any written mention of a transmission being adaptive?
    I think thats an urban myth
    How does thst work in a rental car fleet?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The way it works....

All individual driver "learned" techniques, traits, driving styles, are ERASED each and EVERY time you shut the engine off.

The system starts learning driver adaptive techniques as soon as you start the vehicle in motion, within a fairly short time it will have you "sorted" into one of four categories and within ~4 minutes you will be refined into one of sixteen categories. Thereafer it keeps only a three minute history upon which to "bin" your driving style. So it will (re)learn as you go, change your driving style on the go, it will adapt.
    Finally something that makes sense. I kept seeing all these posts noting that the Highlander adapted to only the "primary" driver. Not to any driver withing a few minutes.

Hence it was beginning to seem that a Highlander would only operate at its best performance when the "Primary" Driver was operating it.
    The reason the dealers service personel are confused is becuase there are two types of adaptive "learning" involved. For instance prior to DBW the engine ECU had to "learn" the proper control voltage for the idle air bypass control solenoid. Of course it would then remember that indefinitely as long as it had battery power.

There are literally dozens of engine and transaxle operational parameters like that it must learn and remember indefinitely.

But not unique driver parameters.
  • tixtix Member Posts: 27
    All I have to say is just wait until your Highlanders have more miles on them. Thats when the trouble begins. I have a 2004 with over 50,000 and more and more issues keep coming up. I know I am not alone. Ask any auto repair shop about the issues that Toyota is experiencing. If a mechanic won't buy one, that says something!
    I'm already past that, still no problems. Maybe you need a new mechanic.
    I am sorry to hear that you had troubles with your Highlander but Consumer Reports continues to rate the Highlander as among the most reliable of vehicles in its class. And this is after responses from thousands of vehicle owners.

The truth be known there isn't a single vehicle made on the road with no problems for that model. But I will continue to pursue the ones with the least problems based upon surveys of thousands of owners.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Sorry for your troubles, but we traded our last HL with almost 6oK trouble-free miles on it. Our current HL has almost 13K trouble-free miles. We were conditioned to warranty issues as normal until we started buying Toyota vehicles. Our Matrix has 37K is like our 3 HLs have been and has only been in for scheduled maintenance.
  • ledyardledyard Member Posts: 2
    I'm glad to hear you've had good luck with your HL. I've had an '06 Avalon for 18 months; guess I purchased one of the first few...mine has been in the shop 7 times with everything from leather seats ripping, ABS problems, wheel assembly being replaced, to now, the steering column has to be replaced. Needless to say, I'm looking at purchasing a Highlander, but a wee bit skeptic on Toyota. I know Toyota makes a good product, unfortunantely, I was not lucky enough to get one.
    Our salesman owns two Avalon's and pushed us to try one last year when we bought the '06 HL. We didn't like it ONE bit. My brother-n-law and his wife purchased an Avalon and loved it. I won't try to defend Toyota with the problems that you've had (and shouldn't have had).

If I were you, I'd approach the salesman... "I like you and I like Toyota, but I don't like the Avalon that I purchased..." If you have a great dealership (like I do), they will bend over backwards to make you a super deal. If they try to steal everything you have, then it's time to find another dealership. Like I said, you should not have those problems on their flagship model and if you did, the dealer should be all over making you happy. Best of luck!
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    For all those who love their HL and have 0 problems why are you here in the Repair - Maintenance board? If I had no problems I wouldn't waste my time being here, just curious. I am here as I am thinking of a purchase but so far its a no go. Tested a demo and didn't like the shifting, hestitation etc. The Acadia is by far better than the HL, even the new Mazda CX9 would be a better buy. The Mazda also has some shifting problems I may be able to put up with, but not as bad as the HL. :sick: Good luck to all you HL lovers...
    We might be here to help others rahter than show our backsides. To each his own. Good bye and good luck!
    If you don't like the Highlander and won't purchase one, why are YOU here/
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Mikefm58 said: none have been perfect

and you confronted him with: For all those who love their HL and have 0 problems why are you here ... ?

That is non sequitur since "none have been perfect" implies all have been imperfect and "0 problems" does not follow from imperfection. Perhaps, instead, you are implying that people who love their HL should not participate in a maintenance and repair discussion?

I suggest we all stick to the topic and avoid speculating about anyone's motives for participating here.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Wow, you lost me at non sequitur .....LOL. Even though our HL has been good so far, there could be something pop up that I haven't noticed. Some of the members here are much more detail oriented than I am.
    I'm here because I was hoping for support on how to deal with Toyota. No one has been able to give me any, so I want to pass along advice. If you read earlier responses, it seems that a number of people are pleased with having purchased extended warranties. Just a heads up to all of you thinking of buying. I did not and wish I had. And just to continue to vent - don't get the sunroof because it cost more to fix it than it does to purchase the option and if you read the issues with it, it vibrates, hurts your ears and is not pleasant to drive with - open. And because of that, it still amazes me that mine just stopped working, when I hardly used it.
    To some great extend when you buy the extended warranty from the selling dealer you are buying the (extended) loyalty of that selling dealer. So now as long as you use that dealer for service you are more likely to get "special" attention.

The dealer markup on those warranties is at least 100% and I wouldn't doubt a kick-back to the dealer for non-use, no claims, for which the dealer can somewhat assure by more actively, aggressively, pursuing factory coverage.

But your sunroof problem appears to be purely a matter of physics, with the sunroof open you are simply setting inside a musical instrument, a whistle.

Put in a more open airflow exhauster port/system or simply remove the one-way airflow restricting exhauster flap-valve and the "heli-coptering" noise will disappear, or at least be significantly reduced.

Along with fewer instances of sudden windshield fogging.
  • thdriverthdriver Member Posts: 2
    This is a question from a blond who just drives (and knows little about car internals). I absolutely love my Highlander 2002, have had it for 5 years. Service it regularly at the same Toyota dealership. The last service cost me a fortune as I was recommended to replace all tires and front brake pads/rotors. They were amazed that at 120,000 kms (~ 75,000 miles) I still had original tires and brakes.

My question is: when are brakes, tires, other significant parts are expected to be replaced on everage? What mileage they are expected to last? Were my front breakes really due for replacement, or they just took advantage of my ignorance and willingness to keep the car in a good order?

Thank you, experts!
    75K miles for the original tires and brake pads is pretty good. Though I question replacing the rotors. Even if they were warped and you had steering wheel vibrations when braking, they could have simply resurfaced them.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    120K for tires is VERY good. I'm surprised you got that much out of them.

As to brakes, harder to tell but they could need work by 120K for sure. Your HL is 5 years old now, and may require some work if all done so far is regular oil changes, etc.

It doesn't sound to me like you were taken advantage of.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I agree that 75k miles /120k kms is great for a set of tires, especially if they were the original equipment tires. Ditto brakes.

When dealers replace both rotors and pads they find that they have fewer unhappy customers so they usually recommend new rotors these days, even if turning the existing ones is an option. Less chance of grinding or squealing. Or so I've read around here.

You can also use the Edmunds Maintenance Guide to ballpark service costs. Just pick a zip code across the border that seems like a similar cost of living situation and then massage the numbers for Canadian exchange rates, VAT, universal health care, and add some more to the number just on general principles. :shades:
    Less chance of grinding or squealing. Or so I've read around here.

Yeah, I've read that as well. But I've had my front brake pads changed twice (once at 45K and again at 95K miles) on my 99 Honda CRV with the rotors turned each time and my mechanic says they've got enough left for one more turn.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, I just did the front discs myself on my Outback and had some grooves on one rotor. I just ignored it and decided to let the pads break in to the rotors. No turning and no noise, which was a bit of a surprise.

But you know dealers. ;)
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    Smart man.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Unfortunately, this issue comes up about every 6 months. I went thru the same thing. Toyota's idea of prewired and mine are not the same. I assumed all you had to do was buy a hitch and plug it in which sounds like what you expect.
    Pre wire means they ran a harness from the engine compartment to the rear of the car. (at least you don't have to tear up the interior to install this harness) To complete the job you have to get a harness that plugs into the prewiring with a converter that goes in the spare wheel well. This more than a do it yourself job(at least for me) so I recommend you bite the bullet and have the dealer install what you need. I found a used hitch and harness and had the dealer install everything for $150. I also know a friend of mine who is electrically inclined and he just tapped into the tailights for his. ymmv
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Sounds like a minor deal, but I need to replace and/or up-grade my windshield wiper blades. I'm considering going with Bosch blades. Anyone with any experience with them, or other recommendations? Thanx. BGood
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    I was looking in purchasing a new TOYota, either a Highlander or Camry. After reading all the shift problems, and other issues on the forums I have crossed them off my purchase list.
    That is why I am here , where else would I get some posters posting their issues, it is the maintenance and repair forum isn't it? If I owned one and all is well why would I be here? Oh by the way I have tested both vehicles many times, different dealers and have noticed the tranny issues, read many newspaper reviews and many expressed the tranny issues, shifting etc
  • mer66mer66 Member Posts: 14
    Well if you are going to cross every car off your list that has a few people on these boards with issues, you will have no cars left to choose from. Someone earlier made a good point about the consumer reports customer surveys. I just looked and the transmission for the Highlander is rated as excellent for every one of the past 5 years. Could all those people be lying?

Every car is going to have some unhappy customers, and some people with real issues. Like the guy said, this is the place that people with issues come to post, so that's what you will find. Thats also what you will find on the Honda board, the Chevy board etc etc etc.
    You may want to go back an reread my post as we've had no problems with our HL. And why would I be here if I've had no problems? It's very simple. To learn things about the vehicle I may not notice.

And the previous poster is correct, you will have zero vehicles on your list by reading complaint fora.
    Of course every car is going to have issues. I guess my feeling is how the manufacturer handles the issues and treats/respects the customer. I don't think that Toyota is very consumer friendly. I have even gone to the arbitration board they offer with no support.
    I'll agree with you on that one. I bought an 06 Tundra in Jan this year and it had a bad vibration at highway speeds that was caused by 3 bad tires, dealer offered an upgrade to Michelins but I had to pay for the 4th tire. I complained to Toyota, who just fluffed it off back on the dealer, who eventually did offer me a credit for future service, but only after mailing a letter to the GM of the dealer. But I expected more from Toyota.
    I'm glad to hear they at least did something for you and that I am not alone in having to "fight" for service. The Feed back I am hearing from people is that Toyota is too into mass production and has started to forget about their customers and their quality reputation. Since you own a Tundra, let me pass this on. Someone contacted me about the Tundra (although I drive a Highlander '04) but I guess there is a law suite or an investigation going on about Toyota and the Tundra. You might want to look into it, and at least get on their list if there is some sort of recall or settlement. I keep my fingers crossed that they will do a recall with some of my issues with my Highlander, so my ears are open to things like that.
    You might have actually had better luck with the tire manufacturer. I had all four tires with only 5k miles replaced due to NOISE. The manufacturer purchased 4 new tires for me, tires of a completely different brand.
    That's a perfect example of Toyota not being consumer friendly! You should not have had to go to the tire manufacture, but the fact that the tire manufacturer went beyond your expectation is the way to get repeat customers - with the tire manufacturer, not the car maker!
    I did call the tire manufacturer at the number listed in my warranty booklet but hung up after being on hold for about 45 minutes, what a joke. I told this to Toyota and there answer was to keep trying. Thank you Toyota.
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    really waltzed me around about the wear on the front tires at 4000 miles due to excessive toe in.

I had to talk to the mechanic directly
    Yes he should have to go to the tire mfgr. It says so in the owner materials. Tires always carry their own warranty through the tire co., not the dealer. True of all the brands I have owned.
    Sorry, that was not on a Toyota product, didn't intend to mislead.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Toyota has a service bulletin on this had mine fixed after warranty for labor only. I had complained during warranty but they couldn't seem to fix it. Labor was less than 1hr
    fixed a year ago no problems since Ive got 83000 miles on my 03 no other problems
  • 05highlander0505highlander05 Member Posts: 89
    Hi,

I purchased my Highlander V6 2 years ago brand new and it originally came with Toyo tires. Right now I have 21,000 miles on it and I am able to see the blue tread wear indicators on each tire. I contacted Toyo and they tell me a Toyo dealer would have to look at them, but they are located 60 miles from me. Does anyone know if fits witin their warranty claim meaning can I get these tires replaced free of charge from Toyo because it has very low mileage?

Also, since I live in cold, icy winter weather in WI which tires would fit me the best in case if I do not go with Toyo?

Thanks!
    I had Michelin Cross Terrain tires on my last HL and thought they were very good. I have Goodyear Triple Tread tires on my current HL and they are GREAT! The best tires that I've ever owned and I highly recommend them, although they are expensive.

My current HL is 2WD, but I never had a problem through this past winter (central IA). I also had them installed on my daughter's car and will soon have them on my wife's car. You could say that I'm sold on these tires. :shades: