Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    I don't want to prolong this unwinnable discussion too long, but I think this statement
    "Neither the K&N, NOR the OEM/factory filter will cause ANY atmospheric air pressure drop as long as the downstream restriction results in filling the "interim" space faster then it can be depleted."
    would be true if air was being forced through the filter toward the throttle place by higher-than-atmospheric pressure outside the filter, but is not true since air is being moved through the filter by lower-than-atmospheric pressure on the engine side of the throttle plate. Outside the filter is atmospheric, engine side of the throttle plate is high vacuum, between the filter and the throttle plate is between the two. Thus the "there is always a drop in pressure through an air filter" statement, which is measurable.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    :P

The air is being moved because of the pressure differential between the two "volumes".

The OEM/factory filter is not a RESTRICTION until the rate of airflow through it exceeds its "freeflow" capacity. Otherwise a simple window screen, fly sceen, would be a restriction to the flow of a light breeze.
  • dchouston1dchouston1 Member Posts: 9
    Do you know where the cabin temp sensor is located? Thx...
    most of the time just above the driver's right knee, small set of intake louvers there.
  • takthekaktakthekak Member Posts: 6
    Bought new in 2005, two months ago totally died while driving - no sounds or warning lights...restarted and everything was fine for months. Has done this a few more times while driving, so I took it in and Toyota says they cannot find anything. The only thing funny going on with the vehicle this year that I thought could be related was that our front left headlight has been intermittant and also the right little orange light. They gave me the vehicle back and told us not to have the Auto Light feature on (which my wife always has on) and see if that may be related. It is scary becuase we are told to see what happens and that means possibly have it die again driving down the road with other vehicles...anyone have any ideas???
    I have a stalling problem with my 2005 Highlander, did you ever figure out what it was? Mine just totally dies while driving.
    When was the last time you replaced the battery, relatively inexpensive troublesgooting...
  • shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    The only time a batter is being used is to start the car. Afterwards they run on the alternator. A weak battery would show up during initial start up. Not after the car is running. But, good suggestion.
    Not just a "weak" battery to address...

"...they run on the alternator..."

No, the battery, regulator, and alternator form an integral/closed circuit.

Open the battery connection with the engine running and the alternator output voltage will "try" to rise to infinity.

A battery "cell" opens intermittently, momentarily, alternator voltage goes into ORBIT, >20 volts, electronic control systems are compromised.

Battery cell shorts intermittently, momentarily, VERY COMMON battery failure mode.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I would agree with that as well. If it's the original battery, then it's 5 years old, so it's on its last leg. I've worked flaky electrical issues like this in the past, and a new battery is always a good cheap place to start.
    We have not replaced the battery, but sounds like a good idea. Should we just outright replace without any check of it? Some people have suggested a few interesting things. One was the weight of the key ring and the other was whether we have another vehicle key on the same ring with a chip in it...Does anyone think the battery could cause the total failure? Toyota said there was some $800+ code or something they are trying to avoid going to.
    Borrow a battery from another car..?

Totally new batteries can be just as suspect as old batteries, manufacturing defect gone unnoticed.
    I would just out right replace the old battery with a new one, but don't get the same brand. Get a good quality brand from your local Autozone or Advanced Discount store, stay away from Wally Mart.

Interesting thought on the key ring, just try a different key that is not on any key ring, not likely, but I know how frustrating a flaky electrical issue can be, and you're probably willing to try anything.

My dad had a Caddy with similar electrical flakiness, dealer replaced a ton of parts charging him big bucks. His next door neighbor changed the battery cables. When he cut the old ones right down the middle, they were corroding from the inside out.
    I cannot agree about buying a non OEM battery. My 03 Highlander lasted 6 years before I had to replace it.

You can't get that kind of life out of a battery from anywhere!!
    My guess is that there are no more than 2-3 car battery manufacturers today, just sold under various labels.

But I would NEVER go to a car dealer, same battery, higher price.
    Unfortunately we can't get the same original batteries that were put in the HL in Japan (Panasonic, at least in my 2001). Batteries sold by Toyota dealers are not the same.
    Check Consumer Reports for their latest tests, and get one with a long warranty which can be honored at many places, like the chain auto stores mentioned, or Sears.
    That said, I replaced mine with an Interstate from a friendly local gas station. Probably paid a little more, but the guy does me favors in other ways since I go there all the time.
  • jmaharajjmaharaj Member Posts: 3
    TOYOTA IS USING THE CHEAPER TMD BRAKEPADS. I HAD IT REPLACE LAST YEAR AND SOON AFTER THAT MY 2005 HIGHLANDER STARTED SQUEAKING. LAST WEEK THEY HAD TO RESURFACE THE ROTAR. IS THIS NEW PAD ANY GOOD?
  • kylek1kylek1 Member Posts: 1
    i broke a plastic small hose connection on the side of the air filter cover when replacing the air filter on a 2006 Toyota Highlander V6 3.3. what is this hose for and is the car driveable in this condition?
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    I'm not 100% sure but believe that hose on the air filter housing is a part of the emission control system. If the vehicle is driven with this hose disconnected, the Check Engine Light will illuminate. You either need a new cover (try your local junk yard or e-bay ) or try to glue plastic nozzle back with good epoxy, make sure to keep it open inside!
  • abigail363abigail363 Member Posts: 1
    I took a long trip last weekend. An hour or two into the trip I realized the A/C wasn't really working. The blower wasn't blowing air regardless of the speed it was on. There was a bit of cold coming from the blowers but not significant air flow. I turned it off for 30 minutes, turned it back on and it worked fine. Few hours later the problem happened again. This problem didn't seem to happen during the hottest hours of the day, mostly just morning and evening.

Left it with a repair place, they cleaned the drain. That didn't fix the problem. Left it with my normal mechanic when I got home, they couldn't recreate the problem so couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Any ideas? Low freon? Leak somewhere???

Thanks!

Abigail
    edited September 2010
    Toyota A/C system seems unusually susceptable to evaporator freeze up going over mountain passes, SOP.

If otherwise see an A/C technician.
    edited September 2010
    This is most likely broken/intermittent wiring connection to the AC/Heating controls. Pretty common problem for 1st gen HLs. About $900 to repair at the dealer or simple and free DIY fix. Google "highlander ac controls broken wiring"
  • 05highlander0505highlander05 Member Posts: 89
    edited September 2010
    On Edmunds.com under maintenance Guide it tells me to do the following. If I do not have someone regularly "CHECK" things for me am I safe to say I should just wait for something to go wrong OR when I get an oil change they will tell me that I should have something done? I have 63k miles now

Part Description Part Cost
    Air filter $ 32.60
    Coolant $ 12.00
    Engine oil $ 13.25
    Oil filter $ 8.70
    Total Estimated Parts Cost $ 66.55

Labor Action Item Labor Cost
    Replace Air filter $ 2.92
    Inspect Ball joints $ 5.85
    Inspect Brake lines, hoses & connections $ 1.17
    Inspect Brake pads & linings $ 11.70
    Flush/replace Coolant $ 40.95
    Inspect Differential, rear $ 2.92
    Inspect Drive belt(s) $ 1.76
    Inspect Drive shaft $ 2.92
    Change Engine oil $ 12.28
    Inspect Evaporative control canister $ 2.92
    Inspect Exhaust system $ 2.92
    Inspect Front differential fluid $ 5.85
    Inspect Fuel filler cap $ 1.17
    Inspect Fuel system $ 5.85
    Replace Oil filter $ 5.85
    Inspect Steering gearbox $ 5.85
    Inspect Steering linkage $ 5.85
    Inspect Transfer case fluid $ 5.85
    Inspect Valve clearance $ 2.92
    Rotate Wheels & tires $ 17.55
    Total Estimated Labor Cost $ 145.08

Total Estimated Costs
    Total Estimated Parts Cost For Your Area $ 66.55
    Total Estimated Labor Cost For Your Area $ 145.08
    Total Estimated Cost (excluding tax)* $ 211.63
    I just had this service done on my Highlander 03 w/65K miles. I consider it pretty reasonable IF they check everything.

I'd rather not be hit with surprises later.
  • 05highlander0505highlander05 Member Posts: 89
    I always take it to the dealer for oil changes/rotations and thought if they seen something wrong they would let me know about it. It says they do multi point inspections and then they give me that paper which shows everything is ok. So I figure why spend another few hundred for a 60k package.....that's where I was confused. I know they change the fluids and stuff, but I didn't want to pay them to "inspect" things when they already did it at the oil changes.
  • rugby65rugby65 Member Posts: 81
    2003 HL limited clicking sound coming from under the dash It's not a rattle because i hear it sitting still.... I know where it's coming from its in the center of the plastic air chamber. I thought it might have something to do with the climate control but everything seems to be working ok.
    I can see the control devise thats clicking and I can put my finger near it and feel the motion at the same time it clicks. I turned off the air and it still does it.

any Ideas would be appreciated.
  • steves8steves8 Member Posts: 11
    Turn the radio on! that's what the dealer told me years ago when I heard a ticking noise just on the other side of the firewall from where you are hearing your click. They replaced the fuel rail, said it was coming from that, since they couldn't fix it, they said turn the radio on. The noise is still there, but it doesn't bother me when the radio is on.
  • abby1313abby1313 Member Posts: 20
    One year later, I want to add to the above about using Goodyear only for tires. One year later, my brakes and rotors are still fine yet Goodyear would have had me replace them. Even though I no longer let them do any work other than tires for me, I am still finding things they did where they ran the cost up. The latest one is that I asked the dealership recently to put new wiper blades on. They told me that I no longer had their brand of WIPERS on the car and so they didn't have blades to fit. I remembered that I had asked Goodyear to change the blades and I had questioned their high cost when paying. I didn't realize that since Goodyear didn't have blades to fit, they didn't tell me that so they changed the whole wipers! I went back and looked at the worksheet from Goodyear and I had signed their pre-work sheet asking for wiper blades; below it they had charged me for wipers.
    All of this to say that my experience with Goodyear for maintenance has ranged from outright lies to lies of omission. As long as I've kept my maintenance records on the tire rotation, I've been able to make them live up to their warranty although they really tried not to. Beware of using them for general maintenance.
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    I stopped doing business with Goodyear a long time ago. I bought their lousy tires at a dealer and I am done with tires as well. Tires that are supposed to get 60K get 18K on a jeep and 28K :lemon: on a Highlander, Look at BF Goodrich and General for your tires. You'll be happy and will save money And if you've have lost your receipt at Goodyear you are out of luck. They just suck
  • rugby65rugby65 Member Posts: 81
    Thanks steves8--I play my radio pretty low since wife is usually with me.

So I still hear it--since everything is working I've decided to wait..I did notice when my car is sitting out in the sun and it's very Hot inside i turned the air down to 70 and there's no clicking until I set the temp back to 75.

Thats why i think it has to do with climate control--like trying to keep temp to setting.
    Occassionly on our 2002 AWD Highlander when we put it in reverse the vehicle hesitates and then jumps back and there is a "cluncking" noise in the transmission/transfer case area.

Anyone else had this intermittant problem??

Thanks...........
  • frankok1frankok1 Member Posts: 56
    Hey owners of 2002 Highlanders that haven’t been recalled. Does it have drive-by-wire electronics? Is the pedal top-hinged such that floor mats can catch the pedal as in others?

Be careful – see
    http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/04/27/federal_agency_to_examine_toy- ota_in_fatal_crash/
  • eggstereggster Member Posts: 1
    My Highlander's trans works great for 30 minutes then it will not up shift to over drive (OD). AAmco wants to take it apart and diagnose. It's a 2001 with 140,000 on it.
    At 140,000 miles the engine may not be producing enough torque at the low RPM used in OD lockup.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Drive by wire started with 2004 Highlanders.
  • krb1krb1 Member Posts: 15
    My question has to do with the moonroof. Last time I brought the car to the dealer with the complaint that the moonroof leaks I was told that the car has a "drip tray", so not to worry. Is this true or is the dealer making this up? Does the car truly have a drip tray when the moonroof leaks? I can't tell if there is such a thing when I was trying feel to the tray. Or, are they just lazy and don't want to fix the seal around the moonroof? They did a test when they hosed the car down and saw that some water came through, that's when they told me about the drip tray. I am just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Many thanks,
    Karolina
    "the moonroof leaks "
    "They did a test when they hosed the car down and saw that some water came through"

And they said not to worry about it? If so, of course that's nonsense. Most sunroofs have drains which go down the A-pillars (next to the windshield) to drain water that gets past the seal (and probably into this "tray" thing). The drains get clogged with debris, and need to be flushed/blown/rodded out.

Any dealership that does not know that doesn't deserve your business. Take it somewhere else - it's not a Highlander-specific or Toyota-specific, so find a highly rated repair shop. Or get your neighborhood gearhead to do it for you. It's far from rocket science.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    i have a 2002 hl and both rear windows are now broken. were you able to find out how to take the panel off? thanks, rr70
    Correct....Found the cabin sensor plug and hose disconnected. Left that way by the Best Buy installation staff!!!
  • 93volvo24093volvo240 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I have a few questions related to the maintenance of my 2006 Highlander. I have a 2006, 4 cyl, with the 2AZ-FE engine. I have ~80K miles at present and I don't see anything in the maintenance schedule about timing chain and transmission fluid replacement. I see that the 6 cyl requires a timing belt replacement at 90K, but the maintenance guide is silent on the chain for the 4 cyl. When will the chain need to be replaced? With regard to the ATF, it only mentions replacement at 60K and 120K miles for towing. When should the ATF be replaced under normal operating conditions (ie no towing)?

Thanks!
    edited October 2010
    2AZ-FE has a timing chain that should last for a life of the engine. If you bored you can replace it linky. As far as ATF goes... if you plan to keep your car for few more years then it will not harm to get it replaced with your millage. I'd use Toyota's fluid only. Go to the place that sucks out old fluid completely, not drain and refill.
    Until DBW/E-throttle was adopted the RX and HL transaxles were under undue stress/heat as a result of a design change made during the RX product development. DBW is now used "to protect the drive train", delay the onset of engine torque at certain times when the transaxle cannot complete a required (downshift) in a timely manner.

So you might randomly encounter a 1-2 second "re-acceleration" downshift delay/hesitation but not likely need to do any ATF maintainance for teh life of the vehicle.

That being said it is not a bad idea to check and monitor the ATF at each and every engine oil change period.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    Re ATF, the dealer will try to get you to replace it every 15,000 miles. I just talked to my mechanic about this. When I had the oil changed this morning in my '04 4-cyl. I asked him to take a look at the ATF. I think the last time I had the ATF changed was at 48,000. I now have 95,000 on the vehicle. The mechanic this morning told me the ATF is fine and not to waste my money.
    I too have an 04 4 cyl HL,now with 61K miles and have never changed the ATF, and since I don't tow anything with it, have no plans to ever change it unless it changes color from dark pink to brown. That's what my owner's manual says.
    edited November 2010
    While I would like nothing more than to find the (s)dealers guilty of any form of price gouging the 15,000 mile recommendation did come from the factory.

My '01 F/awd RX300 had DARK and BURNED ATF at only 40,000 miles. I was told by the factory rep that I needed to rely on the dealer. I went to the dealer and was given this new 15,000 mile recommendation which the factory then confirmed was the new recommendation.

This was later changed to a factory directive to monitor the ATF at each oil/filter change and only drain and fill as necessary. Obviously this latter directive was ignored by most dealers.
  • ljt47ljt47 Member Posts: 1
    My wife parked her 2004 Highlander with 122,000 miles the other night as usual. Next morning she came back a few minutes after she left and said the skid light was blinking and beeping as well as the brakes were grabbing every few seconds. I drove it and she was right. The lights, the beeping and the ABS was grabbing every couple of seconds. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected. It has work fine since . Any thoughts from anyone????
    She may have inadvertently turned the stearing wheel before turning on the ignition and therefore the VSC thought she was trying to turn but the yaw sensor was giving the wrong signals.
  • woody50woody50 Member Posts: 9
    I need to replace a damaged tail light on my 2006 Highlander and would like to do it myself. Suggestions as to How? Best places to buy the assembly? (on-line)

Am I insane trying to do this myself???
    Thanks ~ Woody
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    if anything like a 2002 hl tail light housing. not very hard. a bunch of nuts. finding one cheap is the problem. try salvage yards. rr70
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    I have a bottom-of-the-line Highlander, without much sound insulation, and have noticed that the tires make an extremely unpleasant roaring noise when they are several years old. I just put new Michelins on and they are quiet for now, but so were the Yokohamas I had on before when they were new.

I actually thought I had a wheel bearing going out and took it to a mechanic who spun the wheels up on a lift and said he thought the bearings were okay. Has anybody else noticed this or do I have a particularly noisy Highlander?