Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe vs Chevy TrailBlazer

micktoothmicktooth Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I am in the market for a new SUV. I really like the Tahoe but I don't know much about the new Trailblazer. I personally think the TB is too new to jump on the bandwagon whereas the Tahoe is a time tested machine. Any info, input or experiences will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• inglesingles Member Posts: 1
    Well, I'm trying to make the same decision. I drove the Trailblazer over the weekend and the only negative I noticed (for me anyway) was the coil spring suspension which I believe has no business on a truck. I prefer leaf springs. The biggest plus, I thought, was the engine. It is so incredibly smooth and powerful. You can't even tell it's running. In fact, there's even a switch to keep you from trying to start it twice.
    I plan on driving a Tahoe this weekend to compare.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Both Tahoe and Trail Blazer have coil spring rear suspension. Only way to get leafs is to step up to a 3/4 ton Suburban or Yukon XL.
  • riskaker11riskaker11 Member Posts: 39
    I am also trying to decide between the two (actually Yukon & Envoy). Tough choice. The Yukon has better seats (much more comfortable), the third seat and more room in general. The Envoy is better looking, many more features (dual temp for passenger & driver, nice stereo, steering wheel controls, etc.) and better mpg. There is a longer version coming in the fall which may be interesting. I guess I could live without the third row but I am really picky about seats and I just couldn't get comfy in the Envoy (LE or SLE). I will have to test it out a few more times because I really like the better gas and all the toys.

They both drove very nice & quiet.
  • ducky87ducky87 Member Posts: 11
    whichever vehicle you choose, rest assured gm will not stand by their vehicle if there is a significant problem, i cite the recent recall of the trail blazer, thousands were left without their 30+ thousand dollar vehicle for weeks and gms offered compensation was a ridiculous joke that most of the poor lemmings out there jumped on.
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    I seem to recall that GM gave them free loaners to drive while their trucks were being repaired.
    What else would you have liked them to do?
  • tom6tom6 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem deciding. One of the other factors I am thinking about is the roll over safety and crash test safety of the Envoy/TB. Does anyone know when the Envoy will have results on these items? I really love the Envoy but am leaning toward the Yukon since I haven't heard of many roll-over incidents in the Yukon/Tahoe.
  • 00tahoels00tahoels Member Posts: 13
    I can tell you from experience that the Tahoe is a great vehicle. I've been driving my '00 Tahoe around for awhile now, and I can tell you the reliability is up to par. I've had minor problems with the rear windows and homelink, but I'm told that I am the only one with the latter problem. I like the TB a lot, I think the engine in the TB is spectacular and well deserving of praise. Although the HP is close, towing capacity goes to the Tahoe/Yukon/Denali. The TB is a perfectly capable machine with a very rigid frame, (like the Tahoe/Yukon/Denali)but slightly more sporty. The Tahoe/Yukon/Denali has more interior room, it comes down to what you want out of your SUV. Hope that helps
  • johnsonrsjohnsonrs Member Posts: 3
    I have test driven both the Tahoe LS and the Trailblazer LS in the past week. I loved the engine on the TB, it is smooth and powerful. However, the plastic on the interior is rather cheap. The rear seats are easy to get into on the TB, but the foot opening is so narrow, it is difficult to exit. An extended TB is definitely needed. I think that I am going to opt for the Tahoe. It road a little rougher, but it's 5.3 L engine was also pretty sweet.
  • klmkeifferklmkeiffer Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1999 JGC and had nothing but problem. Anything and everything noted in your pages has happened. Without having to go through the lemon process, I'm looking into trading in my JGC for a TB. Any information on the repair/maintance yet. After having such a bad experience, I'd sure like to be sure I'm not making another bad decision.
    I love the way my JGC handles, is there going to be a huge difference in the turn radius' like most other Chevy products?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    in the future the TB is supposed to have the 5.3
  • austincaustinc Member Posts: 1
    Is it a fact or fiction that the Trailblazer will come out with a 3rd seat later this year? Although the trailblazer comes with lots of nice features, the cabin lacks quality and cosmetics. The door panel around the door handle represents a hazard to fingernails. The seat is more comfortable than the Tahoe, however not crazy about the firmness in the center armrest. The sound system in the Tahoe is reasonable good at best. No where near the quality of the Bose system in the trailblazer. Would be interested in other people's comments
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    It's a fact for the Envoy at least. The vehicle will be known as the GMC Envoy XL. However, due to a GM embargo, you will not find out any further official information on this till at least October. Stay tuned to Town Hall though, and you will be one of the first to find out when official information has been released.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    For many of us who drive SUV's the TB/Envoy is the perfect size. I personally do not need 8 or 9 chairs. I don't tow much or drive off-road at all. What I want is a fairly luxurious car where I can lay down the seats and carry all the stuff I seem to need a big wagon to carry. Minivans don't really work. The ability to fold the seats and have a flat cargo area (without removing the seats) ain't there on a minivan. I am very tempted by the TB/Envoy but have this nagging fear that GM works out the wrinkles at the expense of the first and even second year owners.
  • sweetpea7sweetpea7 Member Posts: 5
    The 96 Blazers had so many problems. Brakes, sludge in the cooling system, injectors, wipers, no heat, no air. How does anyone know that the Trail Blazer is a better vehicle? GM says it is completely redesigned but is it? Or will all of the old Blazer problems follow it? Can someone knowledgeable comment?
  • boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    I've had several S-10 Blazers and I now have a 2002 Trailblazer....There is no comparison between the two differant body styles. The new 2002 Trailblazer is far superior than the previous vehicles. I now have 5500 miles on mine and absolutly love it......As the old saying goes "TRY IT AND YOU WILL LIKE IT"!!!!!!!!!
  • chevyfamchevyfam Member Posts: 1
    I want a new vehicle, been driving a Camry for 3 years. I am in sales but a small territory with about 12-15K miles per year, While I do not plan to do any 4w driving I want a nice car, leather, moon roof etc with lots of room for my staff and clients. is the TB a good choice, commish will be less next year, need something afford able
  • cwhawkcwhawk Member Posts: 38
    I have a new TB LTZ(700 miles)with the 3.42 rear axle, 2wd, and am getting 16 mpg in 50/50 mixed driving. I expected more. My 97 Blazer got 19.5 mpg in the same situation. What mpg are others getting? Did the mileage improve after 2-3,000 miles? Other than this, the TB is great.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    You haven't even broken in your engine at 700 miles. The engine break-in gives all of the moving metal pieces of your engine a chance to mate to one another. This allows them to function at peak efficiency. Your mileage should improve as your engine breaks in over the next couple of thousand miles. Make sure you maintain the recommended tire pressure and follow the manufacturer's oil service recommendations for your new truck. Typically this requires that you change the oil at a greater frequency during the engine break-in period.
  • chevycamchevycam Member Posts: 54
    Best mileage in mixed driving 17mpg with 23,000 miles on it.
  • gmserviceguy1gmserviceguy1 Member Posts: 4
    Here's a bit of info - the trailblazer is a totally new truck - and seems to be a great vehicle - the only drawback trailblazers seem to have is ENGINE FAILURE - but this has been limited to trucks built in june and july which should have sold off dealer lots some time ago but check - if you start to have engine problems get right to the dealer
    any coolant consumption, noise (rap or tick) cold start skip, tick or excessive white smoke in an indication of problems, GM is aware and is replacing engines without question - but in my opinion - great truck - as for the 96 - anyone who has a later model GM vehicle my notice cooling system problems such as bad heat - or sludging up - I will tell everyone - as soon as your warranty is up - flush out the dexcool (red coolant) the stuff sucks - do a full cooling flush (this is more than a 49.95 jiffy lube flush) and refill with standard green coolant
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    first 1600 miles I'm getting very, very close to 15mpg city driving. Everyone on the Tahoe/Yukon thread kept telling me it would, but I didn't believe it til I got mine. I''ve been driving easy but even so it's pretty darn good all things considered. I love the Tahoe.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    the tahoe is supposed to get revamped in the next couple of years according to rumors ive heard. expect a new hydroformed frame, and some of the trailblazers features... im looking forward to it... plan on trading up in a few years.. =o) (hopefully it wont look like an avalanche.)
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    "For many of us who drive SUV's the TB/Envoy is the perfect size. I personally do not need 8 or 9 chairs."

No kidding, same here.

"I don't tow much or drive off-road at all."

Then why bother with an SUV?

" What I want is a fairly luxurious car where I can lay down the seats and carry all the stuff I seem to need a big wagon to carry. Minivans don't really work. The ability to fold the seats and have a flat cargo area (without removing the seats) ain't there on a minivan."

How about a station wagon? Or a full size van? Too bad you can't get the Country Squire wagon.
  • ianshawianshaw Member Posts: 119
    I must respectfully disagree with your characterization of mini vans. Have you looked at a the Honda Odysee? The back seats fold completely flat into the back floor.

I am in the process of finding a replacement for my 02 Tahoe. I am having a real hard time justifying not buying an Odysee. The price is considerably less than a Tahoe, the Odysee is much more practical and spacious than my Tahoe, it gets better gas mileage, it has better access to the middle seats (to get at the new baby) and it has much better fit and finish than my Tahoe etc. etc. Of course, it won't pull as big a load (but I only have a 2000 lb tent trailer) and there is no 4x4.

I did go drive a Trail Blazer (extended version) and an Envoy XL. I was very impressed with ride quality and thought the engine power was adequate - but not stellar. But, I think they have a lot more work to do in the back end. The third row seats do not fold nicely into the floor and do not make a reasonably flat storage area. Also, I noticed significant fit and finish problems with the interior head liner and the exterior panel tolerances. Plus, the price wasn't much different than a Tahoe or Yukon. The Envoy would cost me 32.5k and a Yukon would cost me 34K. I think I will stick with the Yukon/Tahoe (even if the ride quality is not as good).
    That wasn't me who said that about minivans. That was dardson1, who I was quoting (see the quote marks?).

A Wrangler will pull 2000# (I do it), have 4x4, and give easy access to a baby. PLUS, it is a convertible! PLUS, it is inexpensive! PLUS the power IS stellar!

:-)
    Before you look at the Trailblazer/Envoy, go read the last 400 threads in that forum here on Edmunds. You'll soon change your mind.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    If you will notice, many of the posts are by a few people. I would say about 10 or so. Read back about the same amount and on the same token you will find about 30-40 peole who had no issues. =oP
  • ianshawianshaw Member Posts: 119
    Ah yes - the Wrangler - Why didn't I think of that!!!

Sorry for addressing the wrong person! Also, sorry for not reviewing the last 400 threads in the Trailblazer/Envoy forum. I assume they must give grim accounts of all the shortcomings of those vehicles?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's rather the nature of the beast with discussion forums I'm afraid. Not too many happy drivers show up to "vent" in proportion to the ones having problems.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • alahirialahiri Member Posts: 17
    I have full no deductible GM Protection Plan on my 99 Blazer. The plan obviously does not cover tires and batteries.

Early this week the alternator shorted and completely destroyed the battery. GM only paid for alternator --- even though it is the alternator that killed a brand new battery.

Also, I am taking this 3 and 1/2 and 47,000 miles old Blazer to mechanic almost every month now. Transmission leaks, shorted alternator, fuel line contamination problems, broken sit recliner lever, weather stripes falling off, rattling interior, and the list goes on and on.

GM Protection Plan, my no deductible complete plan, that I bought for $1700 does not cover most of the expenses. On top of this GM roadside service advised me to call AAA for roadside assistance --- what a joke! My Protection Plan is supposed to include roadside assistance up to 5 yr/ 75000 miles.

Anyway, I am not too upset. I have paid off fully for this vehicle and I wish to hang on to it. But, GM and the uncooperative Chevy dealers are making my life difficult. Chevy dealers I know love to take the side of GM whenever I request them to check if the protection plan could cover a little more.

Reliability also is an issue now. If the vehicle starts breaking down too often, I will trade it in for an import. GM will lose a loyal customer, who has driven 3 GM cars, for good. I can't help. I'm really in no mood to allow GM to force extremely poor reliability and customer service on me any more.

My advice will be to stay away for GM vehicles.
    "It's rather the nature of the beast with discussion forums I'm afraid. Not too many happy drivers show up to "vent" in proportion to the ones having problems."

Steve, perhaps, as a host, you could lend us some expertise. Would you say this particular vehicle has more, less, or the same amount of complaints as compared to other boards. I see lots of complaints about Jettas also, but not too many on the Wranglers. Durangos get more than the none of the Wranglers, but less than here or Jettas.

What thinketh thou?
    Oh sure, Anonymous02, put the hosts on the spot :-)

All cars, being electro-mechanical beasts, will break and/or wear out.

Most cars have specific problem areas that become well known: Quest manifold bolts, Trooper oil use, Odyssey/Caravan transmissions, Escape/Tribute stalls, MPV smells, sludge in certain Toyota models, Jeep GC rotors, etc.

Honestly, after reading the boards off and on since late '98, I wouldn't hesitate to go test drive a Tahoe or Trailblazer or other car from the Big Three.

I'm beginning to think that it's almost more important to pick the dealer than the make! A good dealer can make driving a real lemon almost tolerable.

You've been active here for a while now - agree or disagree about the number of problems?

Steve
    Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Roughly - I'd say complaints about specific vehicles on the boards are pretty much in proportion to the number of vehicles of a given type being sold. Occasionally, you find more vocal elements who tend to drive the point home ad nauseum but I should refrain from editorial comment! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I'd say there are probably certain ones which have more things than others. VW Jetta with window problems, etc.

I don't look at ALL the forums like the hosts probably do, so I don't get the bigger picture. Maybe Edmunds should allow members to rate their cars, or take a poll, or have a complaint / applause board where each member can only post once, and then people can get a better idea.
    You need to explore the rest of Edmunds.com more. We have consumer ratings on probably 100's of cars - just click on the New or Used buttons and start drilling down to a model.

Not to mention the Top 10 Researched or the Consumers Most
    Wanted, all handily linked from the main page.

Steve
    Host
    I don't see where one gets to vote. Or do you take your consumer's ratings from outside of Edmunds online?
    Pick a car, any car (new or used). When you get to the model lists, each one (almost always) has a Consumer Rating link with a bar graph. Just under the bar graph is a "Rate This Vehicle" hotlink in Edmunds yellow.

A page will open like this. The ratings are generated by visitors to our site.

Steve

Host

That is news to me!

I bet I am not alone.

You should post that info to each forum here, like you used to do with the "special discussions", or whatever they were called, so forum readers can rate their cars (like I said, I bet most don't know it exists!)

Thanks a bunch for that info!
    I must admit I've been hanging out here for 3 or so years and I'm always finding articles and features I had no clue existed.

That reminds me, the sitemaps are pretty handy too.

Steve

Host

• condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    I've recently test driven both vehicles and while I love the Tahoe the TB is a better bargain right now. Forget the in line 6, if that's what you want or need than be my guest but I'll stick with the 5.3. I drove an 03 TB with the 6 and my only comment was "it's a beautiful truck and I would buy one right now if you had it in an 8!" The 6 was powerful and smooth but I need it to toe over 6000 pounds and would feel more comfortable with an 8. In my opinion it's the only engine American companies know how to build!
    The Tahoe was nice but I noticed that the 5.3 had no passing gear. I guess the truck is a little too heavy. That very same engine in the TB was like night and day, plenty of passing power!
    As for the person comparing a 96 Blazer with the new TB, there is no comparison. With all due respect to you and everyone who owns one, I would never even think of buying a Blazer that was not full size. The 6 in the smaller blazers was a dog, the interior was inferior and the over all appearance was weak. When you hand wash a vehicle you get a real feel for the craftsmanship. The new TB has very clean lines. The underneath of each wheel well is a molded single piece of plastic, very easy to clean. The alloy rims are both attractive and easy to keep clean. The rear quarter panels above the tires are also some sort of plastic, no more rusted out wheel wells. Chevy thought of everything first and then built the truck afterwards, finally it was done the right way.

Negatives of the TB: The front seats could use a little more side support. I feel as if I'm going to fall out of my seat either to the left or right. The Bose system is not worth what they are asking. I have it and it pumps but when listening to it at a normal or low level it looses it's quality.

It took a lot for me to buy an American vehicle. Chevy not only turned my head with the New TB, they got my money as well.
  • bufftuffbufftuff Member Posts: 1
    I love my 1990 Blazer, but it is getting long in the tooth. I am looking for a new model SUV that has a fold down tailgate. Do any of the new ones offer that? ALso my Blazer's turning radius was very short. Which of the new models has the shortest turning radius? Thanks.
  • pfutzpfutz Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 TB bought new with 50k miles on it. Once a month for about 6 months, I will attempt to start the car and nothing happens. All the gauges work and the battery is not dead. Then, sometimes an hour, 2 hours or 12 hours may go by and it will all of a sudden start when I try it again. There is no pattern to when this occurs. Long trips, short trips, doesn't matter. It is maddening because the dealer can't fix it unless I bring it to him not running. The last time I had it towed - it started wehn it was dropped off at the dealership.
    Has anyone experienced anything similar?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    The trouble might be your ignition switch. Same symptons occured on my 1997 Blazer & replacing it cured the intermittent no-start & stalling that drove me nuts. I don't know how my dealer isolated the trouble to the switch. This may not be your fix, but the circumstances are similar with the exception that my frequency went from a monthly to weekly to a daily issue. This usually happened when parked, hot or cold, although a few times the vehicle stalled while driving which made getting this fixed a severe safety issue. Although your post states no pattern, others might help you more if you can clarify if this only happens after running the vehicle. Give us some more info. Does it crank? Mine cranked but wouldn't fire up, or just died while running. Good luck, cuz this will be a tough one to isolate.
  • pfutzpfutz Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your response. This is driving me nuts. Does not crank. I turn key, the gauges dip a little and nothing happens. No noise, nothing. Unfortunately, in order for a dealer to fix the problem I have to deliver the car when it won't start. the one time I had it towed, it started by the time it arrived to the lot (did the jostling correct the problem??)The last time it happened it was 12 hours later before the car would turn over(maybe something is getting hot). The dealer replaced the ignition switch prior to the last episode. So that can't be it. When the dealer does the diagnostics ( I bring in when it decides to start again) nothing shows up on the computer that indicate a fault or failure in the system. The last incident, I drove 3 hours, parked car for about 4 hours - drove to my destination, an hour later - car wouldn't start - turn key nothing happens, not noise no attempt to turnover - just gauges dip.

Thanks.
    has occurred.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Put your issue on the Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada link that has about 12,000 posts instead of this one. You'll probably get a better response. Good luck.
    MY2002+ Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada

Try a Discussion Search in there too.

Steve, Host
  • dcurrensdcurrens Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like your dealer is not too anxious to help. One thing you might do is keep a camcorder (if you have one) in the truck and next time it happens, video the event and then take it to your dealer. Then you can substantiate your claims and demand the problem be addressed.

In the case of intermittent problems, sometimes your only recourse is to shotgun the problem based on the symptoms and the most likely culprit.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Having recently owned an 02 trailblazer and recently purchased an 03 Tahoe, here is my reasons and insights..

1. Trailblazer is an excellent vehicle even with the Inline 6. It had plenty of power and it's turning ability is enviable.

2. We loved the size of the TB. It fit!

3. Never had any problems, only routine maint and one radio repair for a problem we were picky about.

4. Our family grew and we needed more room. Two boys (ages 6 and 8) and a infant were a little tough to fit into the back seat. Tahoe is much better than the third row TB.

5. My wife felt cramped in the front seat of the TB. Long drives make it a little uncomfortable in the TB. No room to stretch.

What it all comes down to is space. If you need the room go with the Tahoe.
  • imadad2imadad2 Member Posts: 79
    I test drove a 2004 Tahoe and an extended trailblazer (2004 as well). Both had 5.3 liter
    V-8's. I thought both vehicles drove almost identically. The seats (interior) were the same to me, and the third row was the key. Both had ample room for a family of five, but my kids, my wife, and I preferred the third row in the TB better. It holds one less person, but I think because it is elevated a little, it won us over. The body styling of the TB is better because of it's sporty look. The Tahoe looked to boxy for my tastes. The differences were few, and we (my wife and I) had a tough time deciding between the two. Both vehicles had almost identical options, so how to decide?

The price. The Tahoe was $4,000 more. Paying $66 dollars more a month for just a little more interior room and living with a boxy design, was not worth it for me. The TB extended reminds me of a stretch limo, and I love the design. The plastic moldings look a little cheap, but the Expedition XLS is worse.

When it comes down to it, what your tastes are and what your finances are like will help you decide which is better. The Tahoe and the TB have the same suspensions, can have the same engines, and have a lot of the same equipment. I prefer the TB it costs less and looks more sporty. That is why I bought one.

As far as reliability goes, ask me three years from now.
  • monkavettomonkavetto Member Posts: 1
    OK, heres the deal. Im upside down with the financing on my 03 Civic Si. I'm going to trade up for a 00-03 Tahoe LT or Trailblazer LTZ, and take the hit. Im currently looking at a black TBLTZ and an indigo Tahoe LT. I have noticed that the re-sale on a Tahoe in considerably higher and negative reviews seem to be more prominent on the TB... I live in Minnesota, so the 4x4 is what im looking for. We have had a fairly light winter so far and the Civic just won't cut it. I am also racing sportbikes this summer so I need something that will sufficently haul the rocket around. Gas mileage seems to be pretty comparable... Any suggestions? Test drive on the TB will be Friday this week.
This discussion has been closed.