Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Transmission plug?

wh23fdctwh23fdct Member Posts: 18
edited April 2014 in Ford
Who here changes their own tranny fluid in their Explorers? I did at my scheduled maintenence interval and when I dropped the pan I found a white plug the shape of a valve stem with a o-ring around the widest point. Im no mechanic but im good with that stuff and could not find any place it could possibly go. put the pan back in with a new filter, some synthetic tranny fluid and it shifts just like before. I wanted to see if anyone else knows about this plug or had simmilar experences. P.S. I have a 99 XLT V8 AWD

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    You found the plastic shipping plug which seals the oil filler tube hole. When the tube's installed at the assembly plant it's just pushed in and the plug falls into the pan.
  • wh23fdctwh23fdct Member Posts: 18
    Homerun! Thanks. Now I dont have to worry about that on my Explorer, Just have to wait on the next thing to pop up on me.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Ford's been doing that for many years. The first time I found one (my backgound then was G.M.) I spent ages trying to figure out where it belonged because it looked like a pretty important bit. Finally made a call to a friend in a Ford dealer's service dept who explained what it was after he stopped laughing. LOL
This discussion has been closed.