Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Owners Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Trailblazer!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, that can also be arranged. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• rpageaurpageau Member Posts: 94
    Hi....It's me again, your friendly protagonist in the defense of the TrailBlazer against all who would try and defame her. Unfortunately, everyone on the previous board is a Bravada or Envoy owner, so I might end up just talking to myself over here on this board. Oh well, that's never bothered me before, but usually it's just because no one listens to me.
  • perezlperezl Member Posts: 10
    1. Check engine soon light on after owning 1 week.
    Need new cam alignment sensor.
    Replaced sensor

2. They did an oil change as a result of fixing cam sensor but oil life did not reset. Shows 79%
    after new oil and filter. Should be 100%. Dealer wants it back so they can reset it.

3. Driver 2 passenger mirror hunts around and settles in the wrong position. The mirror hunts when I put the shifter from park to rev. Dealer has not looked at this yet.
  • boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    ORDERED 2002 ON JUNE 2, WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE AROUND 10 WEEKS BEFORE DELIVERY. HAVE READ ALL THE POSTS ON THE TRIPLETS AND FINALLY DECIDED ON THE TRAILBLAZER BECAUSE OF PRICE. I ORDERED AN LT WITH 1SD, LOCKING DIFF. 3.73 GEARS, RUNNING BOARDS AND DRIVER CONVIENCE PKG. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD LEATHER, BUT FOR $1275. I'LL TRY PREMIUM CLOTH THIS TIME. THE WIFE SEEMS TO THINK CLOTH WOULD BE BETTER IN THE LONG RUN, NO SEAT HEATERS FOR LEATHER! I ORDERED PEWTER WITH LIGHT OAK INTERIOR, ANY COMMENTS ON THIS COMBO? I DRIVE A 99 S-10 BLAZER LT AND A 2001 BUICK PARK AVENUE. GETTING RID OF THE 99 LT, ONLY HAS 27000 MILES ON IT. WE SURE DO HAVE SOME LOSERS THAT POST ON THESE BOARDS (MUST BE "PLANTS"). MY 2CENTS WORTH.
    EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!
    perezl...Sorry to hear about your problems. I've been pretty fortunate, as I've had mine since 3/26 with no reason (except the recall,of course)to go back to the dealer. Have a slightly annoying wind noise on driver side over 50 mph, which I think is related to the side mirror. I'll have it checked at oil change time. You can reset your engine oil life system through the DIC (if you have it), or with the key in the run position & engine off, just fully depress the accelerator three times within five seconds. The CHANGE ENGINE OIL light will flash for five seconds if you were successful (owner's manual 6-14).

Boat10....Wise choice from a pricing perspective. Except for the possibility of a rear air suspension, and more amenities bundled in the base price (therefore less choices), the triplets are the same vehicle. The TB is the best bang for the buck!

Are you sure you can get the 3.73 axle? All the literature still indicates it isn't available on the LT. It doesn't make any sense, but that is what it says.

I have an LT with 1SE (seems to be worth the $1860), Bose sound (not that special), locking differential, and traction assist. Mine is also Pewter, with medium & dark pewter interior. I haven't seen one with oak interior. Got mine off the showroom floor, but probably would have ordered the same colors.

Bottom line is it is light years ahead of my '95 Blazer I just dumped.
  • trek1420btrek1420b Member Posts: 32
    I too am a fairly happy TB owner so far. Even with the recall and a couple minor problems (buzzing sound from left front dash speaker and right turn signal stopped working) I would recommend it to anyone. This is my first SUV so I am no expert. I went with the Majestic Red and love it. Everyone who has seen it has commented on how they like the color with a couple mentioning it being similar to a candy apple red. I am glad others like the different colors since I don't want everyone driving the same color as me. Ha ha.

After catching up on the last 75 messages in the general room, I am curious about the $100 check one Bravada owner received evidently from the recall. If GM is doing this selectively it will tick me off.

I will keep checking in here every couple days or so.
  • mad24mad24 Member Posts: 3
    Does GMS stand for General Motor Supplier? Read some where in edmunds in order to figure a GMS price you take the SUV invoice price minus 3% of MRSP and you end up with a GMS price you pay the dealer. Is this formula correct and could this formula be applied to 2002 LTZ trailblazer? Anyone get a good price on this SUV in California?
  • earlcearlc Member Posts: 34
    Picked up my new TB LT on Sat. late afternoon. Had ordered it on 3/27, it was built on 5/22 and delivered to my dealer on 5/31. Got the pewter exterior color and dark pewter leather interior, and the other goodies with the 1SE package. So far after having it only 3 days I really do like it and have no major complaints yet. It is very quiet onthe road and I love the way it handles.
    Although not a complaint, I think the oil dip stick is the wimpiest, most ridiculous thing on it. It consist of a tiny limber piece of wire with a tiny yellow indicator on the end. They could have done a lot better than this. Oh, well.
    The day after I picked up my TB, I drove it to the grocery store and happened to park beside a 2002 TB LTZ model. It also had the pewter exterior like my LT. I think the LT with the black side mouldings and chrome piece in the grill look much, much better than the body color pieces on the LTZ. I also got the white letter tires which looks better than the blackwalls in my opinion.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to operate all the gadgets on my TB, but I'm enjoying it.
  • anjin_navanjin_nav Member Posts: 18
    It sounds like you haven't programmed your reverse tilt feature in the outside rear view mirrors, perezl. Select Driver 2, then while holding the brakes, put the transmission into reverse. The mirror will move around a bit, then stop after a couple of seconds. Simply position the mirror where you'd like to have it when backing. When you shift out of reverse, the "reverse" mirror position will be memorized, and will return to the position you programmed for forward. Now, every time you put the vehicle in reverse, it will move to the newly selected "reverse" position, then back once you shift out of reverse. You can also turn this feature off using the DC. I got this from page 2-55 of the Owner's Manual. Hope this helps!
    trek1420b...I have a suspicion that the poster with the $100 check story is just playing with everyone to see how big a reaction they can get when no one else gets a check. I'm not holding my breath waiting for my check. Of course, I'll gladly eat my words if it shows up :>)

mad24...GMS is actually the price a GM employee or family member would pay for a vehicle from dealer stock. Not certain of the formula, but it comes out around 3.5% below invoice. The GM Supplier discount is the GMS price +4%. On these vehicles it comes out around $200 over invoice. Both discounts are offered on a voluntary basis by suppliers. They do not have to participate in the program.

I can't swear to this, but I've read that supply in California is spotty. Here in Florida they appear to be abundant, and one can get the GMS Supplier price without even qualifying for it. You may have to shop a few places, but it can be done.

Russ
    Don't get me wrong I love the car. I glad to see that what most people think are defects may be incorrectly set features. I will continue to post every little querk. It looks like someone will have an answer for me. Totally cool!!
    Russ, I had this noise to. Try moving front luggage rack all the way forward and the rear all the way back. That made a big difference for me. But there is still minor wind noise that I think should not be there.
    Larry....Interesting approach since the owner's manual says to align the front crossbar with the back edge of the rear door. Moving it forward would not be the intuitive thing to do, but I guess great minds do think alike! I also tried moving it forward all the way about a week ago. Lo and behold it actually lessened the noise, but it didn't go away. It must disrupt the airflow just enough to negate some of whatever is causing the noise. However, a $32K truck shouldn't have the noise, period. Besides, I need some kind of reason for bringing it back to the dealer :>)
  • hambone7hambone7 Member Posts: 130
    You stated that "all the literature" states that the 3.73 gears are not available on the LT. I have seen LT on dealer lots with the 3.73 gears. I ordered one with the 3.73 gears without anyone saying they weren't available...

Anyway, GM has accepted my order but refused to give me the build date "at this time", whatever that means.
  • svegliandosvegliando Member Posts: 6
    I'm very happy overall with the performance of my TB LTZ (majestic red). Just picked it up here in Seattle on 5/25. You'd think this was the last city to receive them. Anyway, I did have a transfer case setting malfunction. (Settings automatically jumped to 4HI and 4LO while manually set to 2HI). Dealer needs to replace two parts one of which is on back order with no ETA. I'm just glad the vehicle is drivable and the snow's gone.
    I was referring to what I read on a couple of internet sites while doing my research. They all have option lists & pricing utilities as I'm sure you know. A couple of them showed axle selections, but had N/A next to the 3.73 axle ratio. I couldn't remember exactly where I saw it, but checking a couple of the sites I found it again at least on the Kelley Blue Book site (kbb.com). It says N/A, but like I said before, it doesn't make any sense. I'm sure your right. They must have just screwed up the listing.
    Has anyone purchased a lock for the spare? If so, what do you recommend? The parts department at my dealer had a J lock for $30 but he wasn't sure it would fit the TB. He was going to find out and let me know. He never called me back.

rapgeau. You right about the possiblity of the $100 check post just being a ruse. However I think I just noticed a second person stating the same thing, but they were both Bravada owners. Maybe it's an Olds thing, if true.
    RUSS, MOST OF THE VEHICLES I HAVE SEEN, WHEN ORDERED WITH LOCKING DIFF. COMES WITH 3.73. AS PER MY EARLIER POST #4, I ORDERED BUT MY DEALER HAS FOUND ONE THAT HAS BEEN ON THE LOT OF ANOTHER DEALER FOR 8 DAYS, 100% OF WHAT I ORDERED PLUS SHIELD PACKAGE!! I GAVE HIM THE GO AHEAD TO GET IT (DEALER TRANSFER) SO I'LL HAVE MINE THIS WEEK SOMETIME, CANNOT WAIT, REALLY GETTING EXCITED!!

HAVE A TRAILBLAZER DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good job! I think you might have set the record for a factory order. You will definitely enjoy it.

BTW, mine has locking differential & traction assist, but came with the 3.42 axle.

Russ
    I think I am about to eat my words. Got a notice in the mail of a certified letter from Chevrolet to be picked up. I believe it is probably that infamous $100 check I doubted was real. Another poster said they got one by registered mail. Chomp-chomp-chomp, hmmmm, those words might taste pretty good!
    Trek.....The warranty extension actually came quite easily. I'm in Florida, and actually never had any big problems with the recall. The Dealer gave me a brand new 2001 Blazer with only 4 miles on it to use during the recall, which for me lasted 21 days (4/5-4/26). The only thing different I may have done than most is follow the Florida lemon law. It states the conditions that would qualify a vehicle as a lemon, one of which is a cumulative 30 days out of service regardless of cause, or multiple causes. The law requires you to officially notify the manufacturer (certified mail)when the vehicle has been out of service for 15 days. This essentially puts them on notice that they are running out of time, and they better get with the dealer to find out how to fix the problem at hand.

In my letter, I was not abusive or threatening in any manner. In fact, I clearly stated I was not pursuing lemon law relief, but merely following the requiremnts of the law to protect my rights should other problems arise later. I was, however, very clear about my displeasure with the lack of credible information forthcoming from GM, and felt they were making a big mistake by not being more forthcoming.

It took a while to get through their bureaucracy, but I finally got a call back right after my truck was returned. I didn't realize it at the time, but the call was from a representative somehow tied to their legal department. We talked in generalities at first, but that soon got more specific. I told them I was a loyal GM customer, and felt they were wrong in not showing some loyalty in return. Specifically I told them a warranty extension or loyalty coupon would go a long way toward convincing me they truly appreciated my business. She asked me if a warranty extension to 5/60 would satisfy me, and I obviously said yes, and that I would be very appreciative of that gesture. She said she had the power to authorize it, and would submit the paperwork immediately. I was thrilled, and said case closed.

Unlike some, I feel GM/Chevy has been very fair to me. I couldn't have scripted this any better, and will almost certainly stay a loyal customer. I couldn't believe it when another $100 showed up after everything else:

Free service for two years
    OnStar extension
    5/60 extension
    $100

I guess they have a friend for life!

Russ
    Thanks for the info. I believe your lemon law pursuit was the key in your getting the 5/60. Here in Illinois the lemon law is more lax and I was not close to pursing it even after the 22 days they had my TB. I of course receieved the other items and am basically satisfied. Though I am thinking of calling them back and see if I can get a TB poster for my garage.

My latest problem seems to be an intermittent minor vibration of my drivers side mirror. I am going to hold off awhile to see if anything else crops up.
    Russ, I need to clarify your statement of setting record on factory order. My dealer found the exact vehicle I ordered on another dealers lot, 230 miles away. So I let him get that vehicle, but he also kept the one I ordered in the order bank. The only difference was the shield package which I did not order.
    Finally took delivery yesterday (6-20-01), boy does this vehicle drive nice. It really surprised me on its road manners and comfort, but I sure hated giving up my '99 CT Blazer.
    Also Russ, I forgot to say that you cannot get the medium oak interior until 8/1/01, so the one I now have has the medium pewter/dark pewter interior, and it does have the 3.73 gearing.
    My last two tanks were almost identical at 16.6 and 16.7 (almost all non-highway miles). Interestingly enough, I reset the average MPG on the computer at the same time I started actual measurements, and it has been running within .1 MPG!

Russ
  • johnjjdjohnjjd Member Posts: 3
    Hi Russ,

Did GM require you to give up your future "lemon law" claims for the extensions in service? I am having considerable problems with my 2002 TrailBlazer and I am supposed to hear Monday on how they will remedy this. I would not be surprised if they came up with the same offers, except I would not be willing to jeopardize my "lemon law" rights. Sadly I believe that will be the outcome of this for me.

I have owned or leased 17 vehicles in my life and 14 of these have been GM products, but depending how they react to this situation will determine if I ever purchase another GM product.

Thank you - John
  • hambone7hambone7 Member Posts: 130
    What problems are you having with your TB?
    No, I didn't give up any lemon law rights to get the extension. In fact, it never came up in any way, shape, or form while I was talking to them. I'm not sure they would have any legal standing in asking you to give up your lemon law rights, but I'm not a lawyer.

I have been through 12 vehicles (mostly GM), and I felt the same as you in that they owed some loyalty in return. Fortunately, they came through for me, and I am very happy with the results.

I too would be interested in hearing the problems you are having with your TB. Except for some irritating wind noise, mine has been flawless.

Russ
  • flyguy5flyguy5 Member Posts: 35
    Just bought a LS Indigo Blue with the 1SC, locking rear, 3.73, sheilds and the Cassette radio option(don't know why they still do this). Thanks for the advice on Running Boards. I have noticed that the front bumper looks and feels real loose and that the inner wheelwell covers or sheild are not secured to the fenders. There are holes that look like clips or fastners should fit in these holes. Anybody have any ideas? Also my temp gauge seems to run at about 220 degrees, the thrid large hatch mark. Are they all like this? I didn't notice the wind noise as others did. Anyone know where to get a rear mat and lock for the spare tire that is cheap and works?
    There was a discussion a while back on TB/Envoy/Bravada main forum about the wheel well covers not being attached. It seems they are all that way. Seems silly to have the fender holes and cutouts on the covers and then not use them. The cover is secure, but I am going to have the dealer attach it to the fender just the same when I go back for an oil change.

Sounds like you are running hot. Did you check the fluid level to make sure they filled it properly? If that is OK, I would definitely recommend you have it looked at by the dealer.

Russ
    Thx, It looks like it is where it should be now...???? Maube just one of those things. Checked the fluids and they were fine. I'll wait to see if it happens again.
  • deboundsdebounds Member Posts: 9
    I am 90% leaning towards the purchase of the 2002 Trailblazer. Has anyone had and BAD experiences with this vehicle so far?
    $30K is alot to spend for a vehicle and then have problems!
    Thanks to anyone out there who can fill me in on the scoop about this newer Chevy product
    They found the problem with my gauges at post #30. Seems that the relay for them was not fully into the socket. They pushed it in and it solved the problem. They said this is the second one they have seem on TBs like this. I think they have only sold 3 of these.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    "The Chevy lacks Explorer's cargo room. A long-wheelbase TrailBlazer with a third-row seat (and optional 5.3-liter V-8 engine) early next year should help"

This is from

http://www.usatoday.com/money/columns/healey.htm

• racoonlodgeracoonlodge Member Posts: 34
    Thanks Ryanbab for the news on the usa today....
    I'm just about ready to go and order TB LTZ...
    My problems started with the vehicle stalling while running and what was diagnosed as a simple cam shaft sensor failure. On the second "service engine" return, the dealer found metal filings in the engine and Chevrolet is now replacing the complete engine assembly. It is my understanding that this is not an isolated problem for them.

I have driven the TB only three days in the past three weeks. Not a good omen. I live in Connecticut and the new vehicle "lemon law" here is 3 returns for the same problem (i.e. they keep it on the 4th return) or 30 days out of service.

John
    Looks like resetting the relay didn't cure the problem at posts 31 and 34. Still does it on occasion. We are now at strike 2. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • thomasjtthomasjt Member Posts: 1
    I too am having problems with gauges reading high. This has happened twice in the last month. All the gauges expect the speedo ran high. I shut the motor off and re started the engine this terminated the problem. The dealer indicated that they have not heard of anyone having this problem. Hmmmm. Also had a "Service Engine" indicator light. It appears that the cam sensor is having a problem. The dealer had to order a new one. Other than that the truck runs fine.
    I had to have the cam shaft sensor replaced also. Were the metal shaving related in anyway to the failure of the cam sensor. Did they tell why you had metal in your oil?
  • muzicmanmuzicman Member Posts: 7
    I got my Majestic RedTB 2 weeks ago. My average fuel economy is 19.2 mpg. I have 1584 miles on it now. I love this thing. I got the 6 CD Bose system and it rocks! I also got the sunroof and running boards. 2 tone leather and power everything makes this a real joy to drive. My wife just bought a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am with the WS6 Ram Air package (340 hp) and said she wants to race me. I said "ok" but I get to pick the track.....
  • ees1996ees1996 Member Posts: 31
    Just purchased a Indigo Blue LS with package 3. Nice sound system. Glad to see the gear selector in the console as it should be in a "SPORT" Utility Vehicle. Took it on a road trip from NC to Ohio and only had to fill up once. this was about a 700 mile trip. Tackled the mountains with no problem. The more I drive this truck the more I see how far the General has come in quality. Great rig.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Hey I finally found a good place with other owners.

Have had my Black LTZ with everything but a roof TB for about 2,700 miles now.

Few minor problems, but all is good.

tim

http://www.iwaynet.net/~tlauro/go-cars/trailblazer/1-main-page.html

• tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    has anyone worked on any performance modifications thus far? I'll be adding a few to the modifications page.

I've installed a K&N Filter in place of the stock filter. Exact size match was found on filter # 2417 but thanks to GM's design, there were some other minor mods on the intake that needed to be made. Breaths much better now. That's the start.

Cold air intake is in the works.

Anyone have information on an aftermarket exhaust yet? Nothing lound, but based on what I've read from GM engineering, a good aftermarket system will add quite a bit more power to the inline 6. Aftermarket Headers would certainly help, but the darn thing is so new......nothing out yet.

tim

http://www.iwaynet.net/~tlauro/go-cars/trailblazer/1-main-page.html

• texastbtexastb Member Posts: 3
    I traded in my 1999 Firebird for the 2002 TrailBlazer last week and I am in LOVE. I bought the LS (white exterior w/light & dark pewter interior). The only thing I miss from the Firebird are my controls on the steering wheel for the sound system. The TrailBlazer rides so smooth and the engine is so quite you hardly know it is running. I can't wait to go on my first road trip to visit my daughter in college 5-1/2 hours away.
    Sherry
  • jagron11jagron11 Member Posts: 1
    Got a LTZ in May. I love the truck, its smooth and powerful and I have gotten as much as 22mpg avg on the highway. First thing is the windshield has cracked where it meets the roofline and the crack is growing. I am taking it to the dealer today but they are already giving me this stress fractures only happen withing 1-2000 miles (I have 9000). Has anyone else had a problem with the windshield. By the way I don't remember a rock hitting it.

Also, sometimes whe I first start the truck up it revs really high with loss of power. The engine almost sounds like its wheezing. Any comments.

thanks
  • wapwapwapwap Member Posts: 11
    I have had my LT for a month (just turned 1K mi) and have also experienced the engine reving at about 1200-1400rpm when first starting it up. This has only happened twice so far and seems to coincide with a new tank of gas. I have only been putting in 87 octane but changing gas stations and thats when I have noticed the reving for about 2-3mins then it drops to a normal idle with no other symptoms, so for now hopefully it is only due to a gas change.
  • wapwapwapwap Member Posts: 11
    On my 4wd LT I have also noticed that the front bumper also feels loose. Has anyone else had this fixed yet?
  • tbone106tbone106 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 TB I purchased in June, my wife's boss purchased in July -- basicly same car. He just got he car back after 21 days -- seems after an oil change they couldn't get the car to stop leaking oil!!!! Also, since the dealer felt bad, and he mentioned he was getting lousy mileage, they updated his computer!!! Now if his has the air on when he shuts down, the car won't start, the car rev's very high upon initial start!

Whats going on, anyone else have this problems? I'm due for an oil change and I'm scared!!!

Anyone have these problems?
    What mileage are people getting (with around 3k)?

Thanks,

Great forum!!
    I have 2,200 miles on my LT and I am getting between 21.5 and 22.5 doing fairly constant 65 highway driving.

As a reference, my 96 TB was getting 24.0 fairly consistently doing same daily trips.

John
  • texastbtexastb Member Posts: 3
    I am at 2000 mile mark and have been getting 21 to 22 mpg mostly 55-60mph. I do have some wind noise coming from the two front windows. Anyone have answers to this? I would hate to take it in to have the dealer try to fix it and it end up worse than before.
    Thanks