Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• mraumrau Member Posts: 50
    Hey CleanPack,
    you should go to the Trailbalzer/Bravada/Envoy forum too. Many more post there (over 8000). Quite a few on the Envoy. Most people just post there instead of these other ones.
    Be sure to cut/paste what you wrote here in the other forum too. You will get a better response.

Take care,
    Mike
  • sandy44sandy44 Member Posts: 1
    Got a slight knocking sound. Mechanic at the dealership advised that the pistons placed in this model were not right. Ordered new ones and only three came. I was placed at the bottom of the order list. According to the parts department, he received a missive from GMC that there is a shortage of pistons because this a reaccurring problem. Hence, I wait. I advised them that they will have to work the cylinders if they are going to enter new pistons. I also told them, flat, they will replace the engine if this is not satisfactory. Any other problems like this out there?? Thanks. Sandy44
  • barbara0129barbara0129 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2003 Envoy less than 2 months ago. The paint has spider webbing. In other words, looks like someone waxed it with steel wool. Anyone else noticed paint problems?

Someone wrote about the heater. I put the heater on for the first time this morning and when I put it on 90 degrees it blasted me with heat and when I tried to turn it down a few degrees it was lukewarm air. I don't know if there is a problem with the heater or if that is the way it works.
  • mackettricmackettric Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking for a new SUV for sometime, and haven't given the Envoy a second thought until I rented one. I was very impressed by this truck and was ready to buy one until I read all of these bad reviews. Is the Envoy that badly made or are there just the owners of a few lemons just screaming louder than the happy owners? Edmunds' forums seem to attract a lot of people who's had bad experiences.

The Envoy has a lot of the features I'm looking for, but I'm also considering the Volvo and Volkswagen SUVs. The Envoy certainly has more space, and the ride was surprisingly quiet and it handles quite well.
  • wildflowerswildflowers Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone happened to notice that the 2003 envoy 6 cylinder, will travel at 30 to 35 mph. when your are slowing down. while driving on a level road remove your foot from the accelerator and as the car slows it will get to about 30 and just stay at that speed about 1300 rpm you can also notice under light braking that the engine is pulling, the engine will drop to an idle when you get under 10 mph.
    the dealer sent a tech out with me and we recreated the problem and also in another 2003,
    no correction was available.
    anyone with the same problem.
    other than that no other problems, except for the front tires cupping and needing to be rotated often.
    my last was a 1995 Jimmy that I sold with 160,000 miles and still running good.
  • ddouglas1ddouglas1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Envoy with a radio problem.I am getting the message"Need Amp" on the radio display and no sound.Of course,when I took it to the dealer, the problem disappeared but came back when I got it home.Will take it back but was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.Also,the battery went dead overnight one time when I was having the no radio situation.Can anyone help?
  • ladymeisnerladymeisner Member Posts: 4
    I would re-consider buying the Envoy. We purchased a new 2003 Envoy XL which I thought was a good buy, but I have had several problems with it and it only has 14,000 miles on it. I have rec'vd a letter from an attorney about all of the problems that other buyers are having with this vehicle and they are similar to what is happening to mine. I am not sure it will fall under the lemon law but for as much money as we are paying for this car, it should not be having any problems such as the air conditioning going out 3 times, stalling, musty smell coming out of the air conditioning, not starting up, wipers went after 3 months of buying it, etc...

If I were you I would buy a foreign car. I regretfully am looking to get rid of this vehicle... Hope I helped you somewhat.
    Has anyone had any problems with their 2003 Envoy XL???

We rec'vd a letter in the mail from an attorney asking what problems we have been having with this vehicle.. So far we have had these problems:

*Air conditioning not woriking- blows hot air- took to dealer 3 times.

* Vehicle will sometimes stall for no reason.

* Car did not start back on 8/4/04- dealer had put in a new computer-

Anybody has any similar problems?
  • lauroclauroc Member Posts: 1
    I have had a similar air conditioning problem on my 03 Envoy. The dealer is puzzedled and unable to replicate- I have taken it in 5 times but after it sits and they restart it does not fault the same way. I would like to communicate with the attorney you mention.
    The attorney wants a fee of $2700, but says that he has "many clients" with similar problems with tail lights, air conditioning, windshield wipers, car stalling, not working properly, etc... I dont know what I am going to do yet but I think I will show the dealer this letter and see if I can get another vehicle instead of this Envoy... It is a shame because the car only has 15,000 miles on it. If you are still interested in this lawyer, he is located in Lake City, Fl. I dont have the letter in front of me but I can get you the information if you are still interested in it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I'd be a bit wary of an upfront fee requirement as most lemon law lawyers take cases on a contingency basis. Also, the state consumer protection agency may help for free.
    The lawyer's letter states that you owe him nothing unless he wins the case for you... I dont know what to do yet...
    This article has some very good tips and information. Hopefully you will find it helpful.

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker
  • funfuzzypeachfunfuzzypeach Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering how you Envoy XL is doing now? Do you still love it? I am thinking of buying a 03 with 16,000 miles for a great price (the owners are going over seas and need to sell it) But I have been reading mixed reviews. Please let me know if you still have yours and still like it. Thanks Melissa
    I have been reading mixed reviews about the Envoy XL. I don't want to make the wrong choice. I would like to hear from people who own one and aren't selling one. Do you like your? please let me know. Are there really a lot of little problems with them? Are they in the shop often? Many major problems? I would love any info.
    What did you end up doing? Did you get an envoy? I was wondering the same thing as you.
  • sdjb34sdjb34 Member Posts: 3
    Its okay. Nothing spectacular. I just purchased a Magnetic Red Envoy XL in Aug 04 from Bel Air, MD and so far have had only minor issues (brakes squeaking, door latches sticking). Its a very noisy ride and gas mileage is atrocious! Keep in mind, I traded in a 2000 Town & Country minivan for this SUV. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten another minivan. I'm not very happy with the handling and the ride but I'll have to make due.
  • brybrybrybry Member Posts: 25
    Hi Sandy44, I just bought a 2002 Envoy slt and am getting a slight knocking noise that is worse when it is cold. I was wondering what it was. Is your envoy still under warranty? I'll take it to the dealer and let you know what they say. Thanks
  • thecrusersthecrusers Member Posts: 4
    I would like to get more info about this attorney . I have had that clicking noise also and now my transmission is shot.
  • envoy02envoy02 Member Posts: 1
    I have envoy 02 it was great after one month when the warranty expired the engine brokedown ... need to change the hole engine......

Can you imagine :cry:
  • roberts4roberts4 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 TrailBlazer, but decided to post here also because the belt design is similar.
    Does any one know of any aftermarket or GM parts to fix the annoying in-seat belt design? The built-into-seat safety belt is so annoying and uncomfortable. I have leather seats and they are great themselves but wearing the belt for more than 2 minutes creates discomfot. It connects at top of seat at too low a position and hurts the collar bone and shoulder. Any ideas? Pads do not really help the situation. I would like to raise the point of where the belt emerges from seat by a few inches, or if there is a part that connects to seat or something that can raise the belt away from shoulder...Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • peter18peter18 Member Posts: 1
    Well, did you know that the new Envoy engines are actually made in China!!!!
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    We bought a 2003 Envoy XL in May of 03. Now have 31,000 miles on it. The only problems that we've had have been minor. The seal around the license plate needed replaced twice. A sensor related to the 4wd came on and turned out it was a falty sensor. We bought the Envoy on a Friday night and the next morning discovered that there were bubbles in the paint on the one rear quarter panel. Took it back for repainting and when we picked it up, apparantly before the paint was dry, dirt and dust got on the paint job and there were bumps all over the panel. On the next try, we picked it up and there were now scratches all thru the paint. Were we ever mad. The body shop manager said that the guys washing the vehicle must have scratched. I didn't care who scratched it - I wanted to fixed.
    But... despite these few problems, we love the Envoy. The XL is needed for our family. My wife is the primary driver, and she does a lot of hauling of 'stuff' as well as people (mostly kids). This replaced her Caravan and she calls the Envoy "her van". We bought a road trailer for hauling our snow blowers and lawn movers. My son has a summer job of mowing peoples lawns and in the winter blowing out his pappy's driveway. I've even used the Enovy-n-Trailer to haul rubish to the land fill. On one occasion, my father was driving his 3/4 ton truck and me the Envoy with the trailer. It had rained for 3 days previous. Father got stuck in the 1 foot deep mud. Our Envoy pulling a 5x8 trailer loaded down, went thru the mud so easy.
    The ride is nice and easy. Handles well in the rain and snow. Is roomy. We once squeezed 7 adults and 1 child in it. MPG is between 16 to 18.
  • envoyxllemonenvoyxllemon Member Posts: 2
    Since we purchased our Envoy XL new 2 years ago we have had the following problems (estimated at 20+ times back to the dealer) – tail lights replaced – wiper motor replaced – had to replace the front struts – both rear doors internal parts replaced (this was an ordeal in and of it’s self – the doors would not always open - at least 10 visits alone before it was finally fixed) and now the SES (Service Engine Soon) light is on due to a crack in the fuel line going to the tank – we have been told that a sensor is picking up a vapor leak.

Up until this SES light issues everything has been covered under warranty (we are over 40k in miles) – we have been told that this problem will cost $900 to correct. Seeing that there are other problems that we have not had…. YET…. I would be interested in finding out more about this attorney and others that may be in my situation…. :lemon:
  • caenvoylemoncaenvoylemon Member Posts: 1
    You had an SES light also? I have an 04 Envoy, and it has been in the shop five times in the last three months, for the SAME problem. I have had a rental car now for a week, and the dealership has not even contacted me to let me know what the problem is! What sort of rights do I have under the Lemon Law? Do you know of a lawyer that can help? :lemon:
  • ronicitoronicito Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2002 Envoy in the shop 3 times for a clicking noise behind the instrument panel that is fairly loud. The dealer ususally says theat they can not replicate it and just reporgram the A/C.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you have to do to get the GM delaership to acutally work for their money?
    This article may be helpful.

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker
  • cdh1cdh1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, we just bought an '05 Envoy Denali, with the 5.3l V8 engine. really like the vehicle so far. Noticed a couple things on the drive home that seemed abnormal, so i'd thought i'd poke around the community to see if others have the same thing:

1) Lack of Instant Mileage readout on the DIC. scroll thru the mileage readouts, you get fuel remaining, fuel used and avg fuel economy, but no Instant MPG. i know the current Tahoes/Yukon's have this feature. Doesn't the Envoy Denali?

2) engine temperature. Engine temp runs about 210-220. seems a little warm to me, i was expecting 190-200. anyone else with this setup?

thanks in advance!! i called the dealer, and got the standard "oh, thats normal" answer. :( didn't instill much confidence.
  • ihuskensihuskens Member Posts: 1
    My friend and I both bought a 2004 Envoy XUV around the same time. She had to get her starter replaced at @15,000 miles. I recently hit 13,000 and I write this posting as I am waiting for a tow truck. My starter is out now. It is still under warranty but what a hassle. Has anyone else experienced this problem? :sick:
  • emerbergemerberg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Envoy with an expired warranty and the engine just went as well. It is at the dealers. Has anyone had this happen and how was this handled at the dealers? Any warranty or coverage in any way?
  • organguyorganguy Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same AC problem...musty smell, and the AC does not adequately cool the cabin, even with the window behind the rear seat up.

Did you ever find a solution?
  • rob48rob48 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2003 EnvoyXL. MPG not very good. I have had this vehicle less than 2 months with 2 trips to the dealership, fortunately we're still under warranty.
    The rear passager door handles do not work, especially when the sun directly hits the door for a while (live in the south...sun/hot/all of the time). Anyone have this problem.
    How did you get it fixed or did you? Safety issue as far as I'm concerned.
  • manny1430manny1430 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a used 02 GMC Envoy in october with a little over 67,000 miles now has a little over 70,200 miles and already having major problems!

front lower arm brackets making noise, and transmission fluid coming out from transmission dip stick splashing under the hood and smoking!! this could cause a fire!!
    I purchased it as is no warranty, i have a problem!
  • manny1430manny1430 Member Posts: 2
    to fraudfighter please email me, manny 1430
    refrence: 02 GMC Envoy
  • styxx24styxx24 Member Posts: 1
    For anyone that is thinking of leasing a 2006 Envoy. GMAC currently has some great lease prices. My wife and I just leased a 2006 Envoy SLT with all the ' business ' Chrome's
    sunroof-6disc-xm-leather, hot seats, just about everything. We do qualify for the General Motors purchase discount program. 24 month lease - 10,000 mi/yr. no $$ out of pocket other than the first pmt. and tax on the rebates. $ 287.14/mo. Go for it. (central Indiana)
  • envoysuckerenvoysucker Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the exact same position right now. Piston cracked off and killed the engine. 1300 miles post warranty. Figures huh? There is a bulletin out there that says that there are reports of cylinders cracking and that they've subsequently increased the warranty to 7yr/100,000 miles. I'm waiting to hear if that bulletin covers me or not. My dealership I usually go to found it but GM and the dealership the car is at right now amazingly can't find info on that bulletin.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Damn. I really love the Envoy Denali.
    It's a shame that I hear about such problems. I was all set to buy one, and now that I'm doing some more research- it's scary.

Leaky dipsticks are acceptable. Engine's exploding after just a few years are not.

Still thinking.
  • 2006ion24l2006ion24l Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I leased a 2006 Envoy SLE back in October and we have had 6,000 trouble free miles. Love the ride and the pickup. Took a 600 mile road trip and it was SO comfortable. Love our Envoy!
  • glags11glags11 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone in the Northeast lease an 06 Envoy SLT recently? I was quoted $409/month w/ nothing down, just first month and security. This is for the SLT with all the works. Seems a little too high. Anyone? Thanks.
  • dinodogdinodog Member Posts: 1
    Mine did the same thing. Brought it to the dealer, and they didn't fix it right. Took it apart myself, and there's a little plastic clamp the clips onto a short metal rod, I loosened, then moved the clamp, and it's been fine for a year now. Whatever you do, make sure you don't activate the child safety locks. That makes it next to impossible to open the door !!!
  • densmensadensmensa Member Posts: 2
    Hi, My 2002 Envoy SLE with 54k miles suddenly started locking up during a slow speed turn, like pulling into a parking space. Fluid levels (power steering and brakes) seem fine. I thought at first I had got a sudden flat tire since the car didn't want to move, but everythig was ok. There are no dash lights coming on and we haven't had any brake problems since we've owned it - about 15k miles. I can power through the lock and it seems fine when driving straight. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Dennis
  • 03gmcenvoyxl03gmcenvoyxl Member Posts: 2
    I have that problem with my envoy also, i still have not gotten it fixed.
    The dealer said i can bring it in and it will be free of charge under the extended warrantee.
  • lisa1212lisa1212 Member Posts: 1
    I have an older model.....it's probably the 1st year Envoy, 1998. I know, I know...it's not the Denali, I am told that really it's just a "Jimmy" with a lot more glitz!! Anyway, I've been having trouble with the switch for 2wd switching over on it's own recently. So much so, that when I start it, I check to see what the indicator says (2wd), but when I put it into reverse, I can hear a click, and see that it has switched over to 4wd, it did this 4 times this morning, before I could back out of the driveway!! It does this as your going down the road as well. Anyone here know what one can do to make the switch just turn off and stay on 2wd, as I hardly ever used it anyway? Is there something (like a plug) that can be pulled?

Thanks for any help offered!!
    :confuse:
  • ehannemanehanneman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 GMC Envoy that has a intermittent starting problem. When it doesn't start you turn the key all the dashboard lights lite up and the gauges start to twitch, the brake feels tight and it gets stuck in park.( It also has stalled at 30mph) There is no sound whatsoever coming from the starter or engine. After many tries the car has eventually started. A mechanic found the ground wire loose and tighten it and replaced the battery which worked for a few weeks but the problem is back. I bought the car new with this problem starting the second year of ownership. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • rivirivi Member Posts: 1
    make sure your 4WD is not set to on. Must be in 2WD mode otherwise you won't be able to make a turn. Hard to turn a vehicle with all four tires rotating at the same speed. Hope this helps.

Rivi
  • arcturusarcturus Member Posts: 4
    We purchased a new 2003 Envoy in the Spring of 2003. Before buying it we test drove the Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer, Nissan Murano, Kia Sorento, Saturn Vue, Toyota Highlander and Pontiac Vibe. Nothing we drove came even remotely close to the Envoy in terms of ride, smoothness and quite, power and a solid, luxurious feel. The 275 horsepower in-line 6 accelerates better than the V-8 Explorer and Durango we drove, and literally blows the doors off the Highlander (which was a major disappointment in all areas).
    We've driven our Envoy nearly 50,000 miles now without even a hint of a problem. It still feels as new as the day we brought it home. I'm surprised at the negative comments I read here, as two of our relatives also have Envoys and they have never had a seconds trouble with theirs either. One is a 2002 with 100,000 miles on it at this point. I know a lot of cars get unfairly blamed for crappy service departments. I suspect that is the case with a lot of the complaints. Our previous SUV was a Ford Explorer, and although it was a very good and dependable vehicle, comparing it to the Envoy would be like comparing a Hyundai to a Lincoln. If it weren't such a gas hog (19mpg) we'd buy another Envoy in a heartbeat. As it, we'll most likely opt for something that gets better mileage.
  • tina7tina7 Member Posts: 1
    yes the lemon law is strong and works. when i called n.j. lemon law, i was directed to kimmble & ?????? i did not have to pay them any money " they get paid through the car maker. it was very easy process for me. my brand new van had the same problem " or related problem "3 times, and that is all it take's for them to fight for you. good luck
    A national news magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently (within the past three months) purchased a large SUV and would like to talk about your decision to purchase that car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, November 8, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.
  • jaysr03jaysr03 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys and gals. i just leased a 2007 envoy last week. sle/3sb package-running boards, 6 disc, roof, xm...i work at a dealership, so i got it at $300 a month. 39/39 lease, graphite metallic with 18 inch wheels. me and the wife absolutely love it. mother in law has a 2006 trailblazer. borrowed it for a week and based decision on that. hope to be talking to you on a regular basis.
  • driveandlovedriveandlove Member Posts: 1
    check the 4 wheel drove and make sure its in 2wheel. If its in 4wheel high of low it will lock up if there is no snow.