Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Owners Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Envoy!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• 9t9wu89t9wu8 Member Posts: 36
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

We have a fully loaded SLT in black with the light pewter interior, polished wheels and 4.10 gears.

It's a great vehicle!
  • jrscesjrsces Member Posts: 8
    Hi
    I am Jim Stephenson from St. Marys, Ontario. My wife and I just picked up our Envoy on Friday. It is a Black SLT with Bose/6 CD stereo, sunroof, and polished wheels. It looks and drives great. I think this owners club is great and will be a good way to pass info along.
    Karen, thanks for setting this up.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Have ordered an Envoy. Supposed to be built in two weeks. Can't wait to get it here. It will be Indigo Blue with the medium pewter leather. SLT 4WD. Moonroof, running boards, 1SH premium package with all the goodies and polished wheels. Only thing we didn't get is the engine block heater-don't need it in southern Kansas. If anyone else out there has the Indigo Blue, tell us how you like it. We love the color on the Yukons we have seen but have not seen an Envoy in that color. Have only seen 3 Envoys at the area dealers and none on the road. Of course, we are out in the boonies!
  • vplazavplaza Member Posts: 47
    We bought our Onyx Black SLT on Sunday. Have to say that we were very impressed with the vehicle. We had test driven a few vehicles to replace our 95 SHO (have one 2 1/2 year old and one on the way, so an SUV, wagon, or minivan was in the cards).

Tried out the Highlander Limited, Sienna GXE, Odyssey EX, Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion, Trailblazer LTZ, Yukon SL, and the Envoy SLT. The only vehicle that screamed to my wife "Buy me" was the Envoy. The Highlander Limited and Passat Wagon GLX were close seconds, but this vehicle is the one.

Looks like we've got a great garagemate to our 96 Impala SS.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Nice to meet you all!

Would anyone like to offer some suggestions for discussions in your club?

Accessories & Modifications?
    What did you pay?
    Road Trips?
    Problems & Solutions?

Other ideas???? Let me know!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • lgspencelgspence Member Posts: 15
    Hi, I took delivery of my Envoy on May 14th. I purchased the SLT in pewter metallic with the dark pewter two-tone interior. It's the 1SH premium package with professional towing, Bose premium sound system with 6 CD changer, moon roof, etc. I test drove Acura MDX, Lexus RX300, Toyota Highlander, Jeep GC, as well as the GMC Denali and Cadillac Escalade. For what I was looking for, all things considered, including price, I felt the Envoy offered the best value and features. My toughest decision was the Envoy vs Bravada. I purchased from a local dealer at invoice cost--less the advertising fee. So far, no problems to report. I traded a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis and there is no comparison. The Envoy is so much smoother riding, more powerful and luxurious.
    Does anyone have the GM rubber floor mats (dealer option) in their Envoy? The carpeted mats that come with the Envoy (and many cars) make no sense to me. Instead of trashy looking carpet you have a trashy looking carpeted floormat! I want rubber floormats, but I want them to be color and vehicle specific. I have the weathertech rubber aftermarket mats in my Dodge Ram, but I keep wearing a hole in the driver's mat. Have gone through 2 sets in 3 years. Are the GM factory mats more durable?
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    I purchased an Envoy, SLE with the 1SD package, a couple of weeks ago and it is a great vehicle. I have a punch list for my first service visit consisting of the top brake light molding lifting off, side passenger door alignment, rattle above sunglass holder, rattle in front suspension. Nothing really major.
    I leased the vehicle for $3400 cap cost reduction and $391 per month plus tax. I fear I will see an ad any day now for a substantially lower price. Reedman in PA is already advertising the TB at $399/mo. with $399 down with the package that includes the CD player.
    I live in the Philly suburbs. Go Sixers!
  • patxlbpatxlb Member Posts: 7
    Hi! We purchased an Envoy, SLT, pewter metallic just two weeks before the recall. It has a little over 2200 miles on it now and I really like it. I have had an '86 Blazer & a '92 Explorer, then went into a '96 Taurus. Didn't realize how much I missed an SUV until we started looking again. I don't think I will ever go back to a car!
  • fievelfievel Member Posts: 16
    I agree, those carpeted floor mats are useless, especially if you live where there is snow. I have MacNeil mats in my 88 Jimmy, and they have been great. They have a web site which I think is www.macneilauto.com. As I have said in my previous posts, I am seriously considering the Envoy, but would like to get the towing package without the 4:10 gears and without the skid plates. I guess I have to settle for the 4:10, and I am wondering what kind of gas mileage people are getting wlth those gears. My choices are narrowed down to Envoy or Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 at this point.
    Fievel: The mats I keep wearing out are the MacNeil mats! I love them in every way except for wearing the hole in the driver's mat. I will be pulling a 3000 lb. boat with my new Envoy. I have read some of the earlier posts that have said that owners with the 4.10 axle have still been getting over 20 MPG when not pulling anything. So, I am not worried about the 4.10. I figure there is a reason they put that axle ratio in the vehicle. Hopefully I will soon be finding out first hand! The Envoy is SO much roomier than the Jeep and rides much better too. The Jeep gas mileage for 4WD is in the toilet with the V-8.
  • bashmanbashman Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Los Angeles area, and I am interested in purchasing an Envoy. My question is if anyone has purchased one at invoice price or even lower than invoice?
    If anyone has, can I find out how much? I'm planning on getting the SLE with no options.
    Thanks in advance
    Bash
    Karen,

I, for one, would love to hear more about modifications and accessories. Although the platform is so new, there may not be much to discuss initially.

Also, regarding what we paid for the vehicle, well I suppose others are better at purchasing cars than I am. We paid MSRP for ours, which didn't sound too bad considering they are still very new and demand seems high in our area.

Vince
    Those discussions have been added to your club folder. If you need anything else, let me know!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • rhondamlewisrhondamlewis Member Posts: 2
    I am a resident of Baton Rouge, LA. I am in the process of negotiating a deal for a 2002 Envoy at one of our local dealers. It is a ST in pewter with all options, except sunroof and running boards. The list price is 32K, but I am trying to get them to admit that it is a demo. The vehicle has 1034k miles on it. They are offering $29,375.46. I am offering 28K. If they don't give, I will purchase it anyway. I want them to sweat. They just must give in a little. I will be back to let you know what happened.
  • cbeasleycbeasley Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 2002 Envoy (white exterior/pewter interior SLT with no additional options) for one week. It's been a real pleasant surprise so far, particularly since I've just come out of a Lexus RX300. While the ride isn't as "cushy" as that of the Lexus, I wouldn't expect to be. However, it is amazingly quiet, comfortable and powerful. This vehicle is an true bargain! To find so many fun, useful features as standard is refreshing in a GM vehicle. As far as my experience with the vehicle so far is concerned, there is a rattle that sounds like the door behind me isn't closed all the way when I hit bumps. This is a little aggravating but something that I am not too worried about and will have the dealer check. Overall, I would rate the Envoy at this early stage of ownership as an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who wants or needs a very nice SUV that can be rugged and pamper you, all at the same time. The only accessory I want is a cargo mat, and the car is too new for the mainstay mat companies to have one. I believe I can order one from the dealer, so I will probably go that route. I paid $29,800 + TTL for the Envoy in the San Antonio area... probably could've done a little better, but I wasn't in the mood for a struggle and it was a better deal than anyone else had offered. Happy Envoying!
  • jrscesjrsces Member Posts: 8
    Hi
    Please see accessories and modifications posting #7 for info on this topic.
  • lgspencelgspence Member Posts: 15
    cbeasley--I've notice that rattle sometimes, too. It sounds like the driver's side rear passenger door is not completely closed, but when I check the door it is closed. Has anyone else found this problem and the solution?
  • debbin67debbin67 Member Posts: 35
    Check your luggage rack on your roof. The one side on my truck keeps coming unlatched and it sounds like what you are describing. I will have the dealer check it out when it bring it in for my first oil change. It shouldn't keep doing this.
    I was going through the drive-thru at the McDonalds's in Del Mar, CA, and as I pull up to pay, the person at the window (looked like an assistant manager or manager) kept looking over the Envoy, front to back. After I paid, he finally said, "Really nice ride. I haven't seen one of those around here yet. Must be expensive."

This from a guy who sees BMWs, Benzs, Range Rovers, and Lexuses all day long.

Anyway, it's nice to have a vehicle that seems to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Vince
  • jgdobakjgdobak Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

I have a Pewter Metallic SLE 4WD, took delivery of it on May 23rd. My previous vehicle (A Chevy Cavalier I used for commuting to New Jersey) got flattened by a tractor trailer while I was driving it.. Luckily, no injuries, and it paved the way for a much better vehicle. :)

I love my Envoy thus far, no problems whatsoever, 2200 miles on it.
    To Cbeasley:

The MacNeil Weather tech cargo mat is manufactured at a plastics company here in my small town in Kansas and is a client of mine. I saw your post and called the president of the company. He informed me that the cargo mats for the 2002 TB, Envoy & Bravada are in production now. So, if you want one from MacNeil instead of a facory one, give them a call. He is getting one for my new Envoy, which isn't even scheduled to be built until next week. Oh well, at least I'll have the cargo mat to look at!!! I want the new Envoy to get here so bad I can't stand it.
  • rhondamlewisrhondamlewis Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm back (See message #16). I did purchase the Envoy and the dealer still didn't give an inch. I did receive the CM Supplier discount. We picked up the Envoy last Tuesday evening. I drove it the 5 miles to and from work Wednesday and Thursday. We went camping over the weekend and I didn't get to drive it. So far, it is fun to drive. It has a smooth quite ride which I really love. Needless to say, it is FINE looking.
  • robebigsrobebigs Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I ordered the 2002 Envoy about 6 weeks ago and I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday. I can't wait! I did a lot of research, and rode in competitive vehicles to the Envoy. I think the Envoy outperforms them all, in all respects, but especially the ride. I strongly feel the longer wheelbase and wider stance contribute to the smooth and quite ride. I ordered the SLT with the 1SF package and the Sunroof, Bose Premium sound system, In-Dash 6 disc changer, road leveling suspension, Locking rear differential and the 3.73 rear axle. The engine specs really impressed me too! I compared them with the specs of German and Japanese luxury V8's, and the Envoy's 24-valve Inline 6 meets or exceeds them. For those of you wondering, the engine is made here in the USA (Flint, MI).
  • 9t9wu89t9wu8 Member Posts: 36
    You said it, robebigs. The engine specs are impressive. This motor makes more advertised HP per cubic inch on regular gas than the Corvette and Camaro LS1's do on premium fuel.

Problem is, I like the the smooth feel of that power and it's hurting my around town fuel economy (o:
  • pklasen1pklasen1 Member Posts: 2
  • geckgo1geckgo1 Member Posts: 1
    To rhondamlewis (post #24) What is the CM Supplier Discount? Is it similar to Ford's X-Plan?
    How does it work and who qualifies for the discount?
  • cbeasleycbeasley Member Posts: 6
    Hello, fellow Envoy owners! I recently picked up my pewter Envoy cargo mat, ordered from a local GMC dealer. I paid $52 + tax, no shipping, and it came in one week. Totally painless. The mat has the Envoy logo and a 2" lip. Great addition!

Re: the door rattle, I have checked the luggage rack and that's apparently not causing the rattle, since it's secure each time I check. I am taking it into the dealer in the next few weeks and will report back as to the findings.

Re: gas mileage, I am averaging about 17 MPG, though a lot of my driving has been highway and that "ups" the average. I think the car gets normal mileage for the type of vehicle it is and the size of the engine.

I must say I love this car more every time I drive it! I recently trailered and launched a 24.5' bay boat with it, and the Envoy performed beautifully with just the standard towing equipment. I did get the 3.73 axle, which I am sure make towing a little easier.

More to come!
  • gakardachgakardach Member Posts: 1
    I'M INTERESTED IN PURCHASING A 2002 SLE. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD ANY PROBLEMS OR HEARD OF ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE REAR AXLES? EVERYTHING I HAVE READ ABOUT THE VEHICLE SOUNDS GREAT. NEED SOME FEEDBACK POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Hi all... I live in Colorado Springs, CO and just leased a 2002 Envoy SLE last Saturday (7/14). Pewter w/ dark pewter interior, carbon fiber dash trim, vs. the wood. Initially had a problem where the speedo showed 8MPH at a dead stop, but it has since been zeroing out without any problems without dealer intervention. Just ordered a weathertech deflector from Automotive Interiors

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/ and a Catch-All cargo mat from Mats4Less

http://www.mats4less.com/envoy.html

If you know of other toys out there, please drop me an email...

• radar124radar124 Member Posts: 5
    HI ALL; I HAVE HAD A 2002 ENVOY SINCE 7/16 AND NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. IT HAS BEEN TO THE DEALER 5 TIMES. FIRST THEY REPLACED A SENSOR, THEN A COMPUTER, THEN COMPUTER AGAIN.. SO AS OF TODAY 8/9
    THE DEALER STILL HAS THE CAR. I TRIED TO TELL THE GM AREA REP ABOUT THE NJ LEMON LAW AND HE SAID HE NEVER HEARD OF A LEMON LAW...YEH RIGHT....
    THIS CAR IS NOT READY YET.........BEWARE!!!ANYONE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS E-MAIL ME. THE CAR JUST DIES, THEN AFTER IT DOES START THE ENGINE SURGES.
  • radar124radar124 Member Posts: 5
    Hello all; Well GMC took back my 2002 Envoy and gave me a brand new one. Great right?? NO!! The new one is now in the shop, the air compressor that controls the shocks died. I had just a 125 miles on the car. What is wrong with GMC, this car should never have been put on the road. Anyone with problem with an Envoy, please e-mail me. Good Luck......
  • bradsouth88bradsouth88 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering why most Envoys come with 3.73 or 4.10 ratios. I would like the 3.42, since all I do is drive on the highway. Thankyou
  • djmurfdjmurf Member Posts: 6
    Picked up my Envoy this weekend. Sage Green w Oak interior. All the bells and whistles except sunroof and running board. Had to order it. The wait seemed long. Was able to negotiate dealer invoice but the biggest saving was from the GM card. Through accumulated credits plus $750 additional credit through a GM card post card incentive and an additional $500 credit through a GM card internet incentive, I saved almost $5,000. With the 0% interest promotion, I felt really good about the deal. Still learning about all the buttons. It will take a while. Only complaint--I wish the rear seats would fold down flat and easy, like in my old explorer, and did not have the large hole between the sections.
  • kath00kath00 Member Posts: 3
    We are about to buy an Envoy with all the bells and whistles but I have been reading the other boards about problems (the older than 2002 models all falling apart) so now I am concerned. Should I get the scaled down version and forego the Bose (does it still rattle the doors) and all the gadgets (air compressor, voice recorder, etc)? We are even thinking of the DVD option (if anyone has one, please leave comment) since I have a 2 year old restless kid! Thanks for the comments. Katherine.
  • acl1966acl1966 Member Posts: 24
    I traded my Toyota SUV on a 2002 Envoy SLT last month (Sept 6). All I can say is I'm happy with my choice. I have the 1SK package with the DVD player. The Toyota ran great and gave me no problems (1998) but it was just plain "BORING"; i.e., no Onstar, no DVD, no driver's information center, etc. In electronics alone, the Envoy is light years ahead of its competitors. The DVD player is awesome. The picture is very clear and the way the system lights up (red) at night is very impressive. It has a remote control and wireless headphones which are easy to operate. It's only visible from the back seat (safety reasons)and since it's factory installed, it blends in with the interior and is covered under the factory warranty. Also, the Envoy just received SUV of the year, beating out the Highlander. The Highlander is very nice but after starting it up, turning on the AC and putting on the radio, that's it. Your left with nothing else. I've had no problems with the Envoy so far. I hope it continues this way. Time will tell.
  • skyleaderskyleader Member Posts: 5
    To: djmurf

You mentioned you were able to "negotiate dealer invoice". What dealer did you buy you Envoy from so I can contact them.

Thanks
  • djmurfdjmurf Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my Envoy at Thousand Oaks GMC (CA). I came into the dealership with all of the MSRP, dealer invoice and holdback figures that I obtained from the Edmunds' website. I knew exactly what options I wanted and my exterior and interior choices. It took about ten minutes to tell the salesman what I wanted and agree on the deal. Because I was ordering the Envoy, I stated that the 3% holdback (slightly over a thousand dollars) was sufficient profit for their ordering and delivering the Envoy. The salesman agreed. About 10 weeks later my Envoy was delivered. The salesman's name was Sam but I dealt with Bob Barber, the sales manager, after the deal had been made.
  • baitisjbaitisj Member Posts: 24
    Hey there all-
    I've been noticing that the automatic climate control doesn't seem to be doing so 'hot' - get the pun - in this cooler winter weather. I'll set the climate control to 89 degrees F, and it seems like it spits out air that is barely warmer than room temperature. If I knock it up one degree to 90, it blasts me with heat. It seems there is no finer granularity.

Anyone else notice this with their Envoy? I'm going to call my svc department tomorrow.

Other problems that I've had with the Envoy:

* Windsheild had to be re-sealed
    * Middle glove box between seats had crappy plastic locking mechanism replaced (with similar crappy locking mechanism that kinda works)
    * Gas tank seems quite a bit small
    * OnStar phone trial not working

Otherwise, I like the car a lot, and need to find some good mats for the floor.
    -Jeff
  • fraudfighterfraudfighter Member Posts: 9
    Hi-

I bought my 2002 about 6 months ago and it is a dream to drive. However.......

At the time I bought it, a recall had just been issued for the transfer case control module. No big deal.

Last week, as I was driving down the highway at 65 mph, the car lost all power - completely - no power steering, nothing. I was in the fast lane, and by unceremoniously cutting someone off I managed to get to the right shoulder without an accident before I lost all momentum. Car towed to dealer. Diagnosis: Needed a special jumper harness to be attached to the wiring harness to keep voltage spikes from shorting out the PCM. Notice from factory to dealer said : THIS IS A REPAIR FOR THIS VEHICLE ONLY - DO NOT PERFORM ON ALL 2002 VEHICLES - WILL TAKE ON A CASE BY CASE SITUATION!!!!!

I check out the NHSTA database and found about 5 other incidents similar to mine. I am getting ready to send a petition to NHSTA to request the opening of a defect investigation. I am also going to call the Center for Auto Safety in DC to see if they can help. This is dangerous.

While cruising the NHSTA database I uncovered another VERY SERIOUS recall which my dealer seems to know nothing about. It involves the LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BRACKETS. According to the reports I read, in cars manufactured from 10/2000 through 4/2001 these brackets are separating causing a total loss of control and an accident (one car caught on fire as a result).

I asked my dealer to contact the hotline and find out what VIN numbers are affected since my vehicle was manufactured in 4/2001.

There is yet a third recall for the 2001's which involved cracked range shift collars in the transmission transfer case. This only involves vehicle manufactured in 8/2001 and it is VERY SERIOUS.

You can find out your manufacturer date by looking on the inside of the driver's side door panel.

Sorry to ramble on but this stuff is important to get out. I sue car dealers for a living and I am agravated that I find myself in this situation for the second time. I just settled with Infiniti on a 2001 QX4 which happened to have intermittently failing brakes - but they didn't seem to think that was a big deal. Maybe I'm hexed because of the work I do.

Anyway - take care out there. And I look forward to hearing from lots of Envoy owners. I really do think this is the smoothest riding SUV on the market. Gas mileage stinks, but can't have everything.
    Well, the Envoy is heavier and larger than my fuel injected manual transmission Ford Bronco, yet it has 21 mpg hwy compared with 12-14 hwy.

The fuel tank really needs to be bigger on the Envoy though. It has great towing power, but you'll be stopping at every gas station on the way...

-Jeff
  • fraudfighterfraudfighter Member Posts: 9
    The MSRP sticker states that the Envoy is rated for 17 mpg city and 21 highway. Anyone out there actually gone above 17? Even the sales manager at the dealer where I bought my car admits that the mileage isn't as advertised. I average 15 no matter where I drive. Lots of city driving - around 13.

Sharon
  • ricklautricklaut Member Posts: 4
    I'm averaging 16.5 MPG in the city and typically 21 on the highway (highest was 22.5). This is according to the onboard computer.

I've had my Envoy since April, and the gas mileage wasn't so good during the first few months. Originally, I was getting around 14 in town and 18 on the highway.

Rick
    Well, I just finished burning my first FULL tank of gas - I ate about half the tank before I filled it up last time, but here are the stats for a 4x4 SLT:

Driving: 90% City, Pasadena CA (I live about 2 mi from work)
    Gal: 16.3
    Miles on this tank: 195.3 (trip odometer)
    Current odometer reads 381 Mi
    MPG: 11.9
    Onboard computer: 12.3 (was zeroed just before I started doing highway driving)

So, all in all, the gas tank is too small.

-Jeff
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Folks, some of this information would get a wider audience if you posted it in the main forum: at
    MY2002+ Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada(SUVs Board)
    /direct/view/.ef00533

If you click above, you'll see there are SIX (6) different forums related to the GM Trio -- using the main forum will get the best results out of questions and comments... and I think the HOSTS of the various forums need to talk to each other and consider putting stuff into a SINGLE place...
  • cl597cl597 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2002 GMC Envoy on 09/07/01. The load bearing suspension let go on 12/07/01. It was taken to a GMC dealer where it took 27 days to repair. On 2/18/02 the vehicle was brought in as the engine service light would stay on. Answer: couldn't find anything wrong. In April 2002, while driving, the car stalled out. Again, dealership found nothing wrong. On 5/19/02, the entire drivers dash electrical system gave out and 15 minutes later came back on. On 7/18/02, the car stalls again while driving (35 mph)and is towed to dealership where a new computer is placed in the car. On 08/12/02, the rear end suspension gives out again. On 8/29/02, the dash electrical system gives out again.

I have met with the GM area representative who is
    abrasive and unwilling to help. Also have spoken with GM executives in Detroit who also have turned a deaf ear. I have plenty of documentation and have also sent in a claim on the Lemon Law (Georgia), I am attempting to solicit help from the news media as well. I am very fearful of being injured or killed in this vehicle as my job has me on the road all day (I'm an Account Executive).

I am a lifelong purchaser of GM vehicles (had 4 Jimmys before the Envoy) and have never had a problem. Would gladly welcome your suggestions and ideas as to what else I could do, as it is scary to drive this car. Thanks
    Have you investigated the Lemon Laws for your state? Take a look at this article on Edmunds.com for information.

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker

• elwood1955elwood1955 Member Posts: 1
    I have a fully loaded XL with the SLT trim in magnetic red metallic. We have had a Lexus ES300 and a DeVille Concours. The long Envoy is smoother and quieter than either. Getting 20.4 mpg combined highway and city driving. No complaints about the gas mileage. Only minor problems which were fixed on the spot at the local dealer. I got the XL mainly for the larger fuel tank and the longer wheel base. Looks great with running boards and polished aluminum wheels. Only have 5500 miles but so far I am thrilled with this vehicle. Get many compliments.
  • cparisecparise Member Posts: 33
    I like my Envoy and drive almost exclusively on the hwy. Getting an avg 17.8 mpg with the 3.42 rear axle. Bought new in May and now have 8K on the odometer. Broke engine in according to manual. Anyone know if the mileage will get better? Experienced a tank or two of 18.4 and 19.4 mpg but now with colder weather setting in the mileage seems to have dropped. Typically my GM vehicles have exceeded EPA by over 10%.
  • cleanpackcleanpack Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Envoy for 32 days and am heading in for my first oil change tonight. I am very pleased so far. It is a 2002 SLT and I am averaging about 16.7 mpg. I agree about the need for a larger tank though. It still gets better mileage than my '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport got.

Other "minor complaints"
    - The rain sensing wipers are pretty much useless. They would have been better off with fixed intervals for the intermittent. They may work better on a long interstate trip but when stuck in traffic, you're constantly monkeying with them.

- Not being able to have both the sunroof (which I have) and the DVD. My friend's Infinity Qx4 has both!

- Wood grain is not the best. I like the dark rosewood color bu the quality is not that great compared to the imports. Also, would have been nice to add the finishing touches to the switch panels on the doors

- Dummy pedal would have been nice (wonder how long it takes to wear through the exposed carpet on the left footrest?)

- CD controls on the steering wheel plus a mute button

- wish the foglamps could be set to come on automatically with the DRLs

- My driver window kinda grinds against the rollers on the way up as it approaches the top (anyone else notice this?)

- In regards to the climate control have had no prblems except I noticed when you have it set to the panel & floor mode, the output on the panel seems a bit week.

- Still haven't figured out the travelnotes recorder (couldn't they imprint the case with what the buttons do for easy reading?)

- Wheels: I got the chrome wheels or polished aluminum or whatever they're called. Too much of a yellow tint to them plus I think a 5 spoke design would have looked much nicer

- Anyone else notice the annoying clicking noise of the floor panel trim when you exit the vehicle?

- why can't the door open chime be tied to the lullaby dome light setting so it does not ring? (Or can it and I haven't figured it out?)

- 3 words for 2004: Xenon exterior lamps

Well these are my complaints. I have 100 times more compliments than this. I was jsut curious if anyone out there was irritated by the same things.

A couple helpful hints I have encountered so far. With the leather wrapped wheel in my Jeep Cherokee, I wore through mine in 3 years (I was driving almost 32K miles per year though). I found a rubber sterring wheel cover at Target for $4 what has a gray leather grip on the top half and woodgrain look on the bottom half. Very good bargain. I have the dark gray interior so both the gray and the woodgrain are a little lighter than what I have in the vehicle but not by much.

Also, family spilled a soda on my carpet. After 10 days, my friend took a portable Bissel steamcleaner to it and got almost everything out. I was very relieved.

Finally I freaked out when my Bose in dash ate one of my CDs and would not give it back. T ried for 20 min to change CDs, play the disc, nothing worked. Finally, I followed the instruction in the manual and powered it off and then turned it back on and it spit it out. Have not had it happen again since.

Also, has anyone driven both the SLT and SLE models? I was curious about radio reception in the SLE with the traditional antennae vs. the glass embedded in the SLT.