Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Accessories

Comments

• godcourtneygodcourtney Member Posts: 4
    i have a o3 accord. how did you replace the 9006
    to 9005 .
    how did you do that 9006 to 9005 plase let me
    know. and the difference of the beams
  • storm11storm11 Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone know if the Silverstars can be put on an '02 EX V6 too? I heard they work pretty well, but I don't want to blow the wiring/fuses/etc. on the original system.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks
  • cardingtrcardingtr Member Posts: 23
    It is not hard to modify the bulb. There are three notches to hold the bulb in place, compare it with 9006s and clip it with a nailcutter. You will know what I mean if you see it. Then if you plug it in the wiring adaptor, it won't fit, there are two rails in 9005 compared to 9006s, use a box cutter to slice it or I used soldering gun to melt it. Make sure you use gloves to prevent contaminating the bulb with oil. It's the whitest halogen based on reviews I read in the forums. Get it at Autozone or Advance Autoparts, they have a buy 1 get one at 1/2 price right now plus rebate. When installing the first one compare the 2 to see what I mean.
    I've done this with my MDX and its been 8 months now no problem.
    Idon't know how to post pics here so..
    thanks cardingtr i will look in to it. i will go
    to autozone today and see. about how much is for
    the light bulb
  • cardingtrcardingtr Member Posts: 23
    It is $20 each @ Autozone.
    thanks cardingtr
  • mayzcrazemayzcraze Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2002 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 and am looking to upgrade the audio system but want to know:
    1) Which manufacturer makes the AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer? What is the peak power x channel (watts) of the deck?
    2) Which manufacturer makes the 6 speakers? What are the product specs (speaker size, speaker type i.e. 3-way, peak power in watts, etc)?

If anyone knows the answers above, your help is much appreciated...thanks!!
  • kelvinwookelvinwoo Member Posts: 6
    How much will your co-worker to sell 4 wheels and tires?
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    I just got done changing out the front door speakers (6.5") and the rear deck (6x9). The OE speakers are junk. The whole speaker weighs less than a pound. Even the 6x9's. I ended up trimming out the door grille for the speakers and surface mounting the 6.5" up front. The rear speakers are a little simpler. Pop out the grilles, unscrew them, and replace... you will have to modify the wiring, as the OE connectors will not fit.

Unfortunately, a 120watt system does not work well with the current speaker setup. I guess this weekend I have to run the 4ga out and wire up the amps for the rears at least. Good time to wire up the 12's... =o)

The OE head unit is a 120 watt system, so I am going to guess that you are getting 30x4 and that is usually peak. Good luck replacing the head unit. You will need either an awesome installer, or you will trash the look of the interior. It's much easier to run high level in's to the amp, and then tap high level outs to the speakers. The head unit is too strangely shaped, and I am going to bet that there is more than just an RF signal going through that large headunit.

Wish ya luck.
  • magicomagico Member Posts: 40
    He will take $800 plus the cost to ship them outside of CT.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Buying/selling on the boards is prohibited. Check the Member Agreement for clarification.

Thanks for your cooperation!

KarenS/Host
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    mayzcraze, I believe the stock headunit is a Alpine unit.
  • umyayaumyaya Member Posts: 123
    Anyone know where I can get the trunk tray cheapest, and will they ship it?
  • watchdog2watchdog2 Member Posts: 21
    You can order the trunk tray from www.collegehillshonda.com . There prices are pretty good for honda accessories and yes they do deliver. Check it out ! I think there are other sites too but not sure..

enjoy...
  • maxpower02maxpower02 Member Posts: 103
    handa-accessories.com Their prices are a little better than Collegehill.
  • kevinoskevinos Member Posts: 1
    how do you change the bulbs on these cars? I tried turning the bulb unit towards the unlocked position but it didn't move and I was afraid to break off the piece (so I didn't want to apply too much force.I live in PGH, PA and the temp is cold (thought this might be a factor. Also should i unplug the bulb from the wires leading into the bulb before I remove the burnt out unit from the headlight assembly?
    Any help here would be appreciated!!
  • jrock80jrock80 Member Posts: 66
    I want to add new bulbs to my car to make it look cooler. I have a graphite pearl EX V6 and I already replaced the factory headlights with PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs, dramatic improvement without the imitation blue xenon look. I want to replace my turn signal bulbs as well with white/light blue bulbs. In my owners manual if gives the volt/wattage amounts, but how do I correlate that to the proper bulb number as needed to order replacement bulbs? Any ideas? I checked with autozone for bulb numbers and they didnt have them in their database yet. Maybe I will just have to wait. Thanks guys!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Bulb numbers are usually found in the owner's manual but if they aren't in there maybe call you local Honda dealer's parts department. They should have it.
    the front corners are the 3157 dual filiment(may be 3156 check on that) It is the round base w/ two pins sticking out the sides. All the rears are wedge style 1157/56 bulbs. The interior door, trunk, and license plate bulbs are 357? small wedge style bulb. and the interior lights are all the smaller barrel type. I'm still looking for the ones for the map lights... =o)
    Hey,
    I'd read way back that someone added higher discharge headlights. Which ones? I don't want anything special looking, just brighter. We have an 02 TL and those bulbs seem brighter. I also read that you had to alter the bulbs to make them fit... I'd rather not mess with that. Are there brighter bulbs I can get that fit as is? And TB, why would you change your interior lights? What does that do?
  • myha03myha03 Member Posts: 1
    Have remote starter installed for my 2003 Accord.
    I like it so far. It's very convenient.

Are there any known problems that will require remote starter to be deinstalled? Thanks
  • communipawcommunipaw Member Posts: 19
    I'm thinking of replacing the standard Accord radio/cd when I get the car.

Can anyone please look in their owner's manual and tell me some specs for the radios with the one CD and six CD in dash players?

FM sensitivity = _________
    example: FM sensitivity = 9.3 dBf

RMS power = _______
    peak power = _______
    example: 22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels

Does the radio find stations by genre?
    Does the CD player display the name of the CD? or track? or artist?

[BTW, are the Honda owner's manuals on line ?]
    Thanks
    I have the 6 disc in dash and I wish it displayed the cd and track info! I don't think there's anything I can do to change that though as it is displayed on the NAVI screen... or can I? But in terms of upping the wattage or finding betters speakers I think at some point I might want to do one or the other. The sound isn't bad, but you have to have the trebble almost all the way up, and the bass half-way up too. Seems it should have to be that way I would think. We have the TL-S with the Bose systems and that is the best I've ever driven in... wish they'd put it in mine!
  • odiemuttodiemutt Member Posts: 15
    I've got an '03 LX. The radio is pretty well integrated into the center console design. Don't know if replacing is possible. Maybe so with some custom faceplate.

It's pretty basic radio. CD displays only track number, you don't even get a track time display since the cars clock is in the radio display. The radio is NOT RDS, no station info (other than number). MP3 player build in would have been nice. Honda sells one which can install in the consol but they want more than 300 for it... absurd.

mutt
  • odiemuttodiemutt Member Posts: 15
    I have an '03 LX. Anyone know if I could just by the part from a honda dealer and put it on the steering wheel to give the radio controls there (like an EX)?
    If it's the same wiring harness I'd think it possible. Any clue on price of the part?
    The best thing you can do to improve you sound is change the speakers. That's where the most difference will be.
    As for the difference in the headlights in your '02 TL and your '03 Accord, the answer is simple, your '02 TL has HID(High Intensity Discharge) and your '03 Accord has halogens(read normal headlights). You can change your Accord headlights to the HID headlight system for a mere 500-800. www.sylvania.com(xenarc) You can get pretty close by putting in the sylvania silverstars. They are the closest to the "white" light that you can get and are affordable, generally about 20-30 per bulb.

As for why I changed the interior lights, I like white light in my car, it is softer on my eyes than yellow lights, and I prefer the way it illuminates the interior and matches the gauges instead of giving everything a yellow hue, besides, it only cost me about 30 to do.

Anony-

Be careful when you change the speakers. The factory head unit is a 120watt unit which generally means roughly 18watts RMS, and 30 peak. I installed Infinity Reference 6.5" in the front w/ RMS ratings at ~50 and peaks at ~150 and they worked fine. Installed the 6x9 in the rear deck and they sounded like crap. There was not enough power coming off the head unit to power the rear speakers decently since they had an RMS of ~90 and peak of ~180. I was "forced" to install the amps, and while I was at it, ran the 12's too... darn my luck... good excuse, though...

Funny thing is that all the old speakers in the car together didn't weigh as much as one of the new speakers I installed.

Just be careful when you "swap out" speakers... many don't fit directly, and need some "customization." Many more 6x9's will not run anywhere near acceptable when they recieve 30w peak power. Most are rated well over 150watts peak.

• dukeofbdukeofb Member Posts: 3
    I installed the silverstar bulbs, and was not greatly impressed. While the light is "cleaner," I don't feel it is brighter. Did the PIAA replacements produce much greater light for 3 times the price? Is there any danger to the lens assembly? Installing in 27 degree weather is not to smart, I kind of scraped up my arms as the wheelwell liner did not "give" and is rough.
    fortunately, you can install higher wattage bulbs. unfortunately, the stock wiring system is rarely capable of handling the higher amperage that the higher wattage bulbs take.

If you really want a brighter bulb, you should consider the HID systems. They do cost much more(see previous post) but put out much more light than the halogens/xenon bulbs. IMHO, the "cleaner" light output greatly helps visibility both ways... The street "sticks out" more, and you look different from other vehicles on the road(except others w/ white bulbs)..

Anyway, Enjoy the car, I do. =)

• clint98v6atclint98v6at Member Posts: 54
    I replaced the speakers in my 98 accord last month. The sound is MUCH better. Go to www.crutchfield.com and select your make/model. They will list each speaker that will fit your car. EZ fit speakers will replace the factory speakers with no modifications. Some will fit with minor modifications.

I went to Circuit City and they tried to sell me a high end speaker (Infinity Reference). I then called Crutchfield and they told me that unless I was upgrading the radio as well, the speakers would sound like crap because there was not enough power to drive the Infinity's. That was the best phone call I made. Crutchfield recommended speakers that were much cheaper and they sound great, especially when listening to CD's. The highs are much more clear and there's more bass.

I have the 6 1/2" Polk GXR6 in front & Alpine 6939S 6x9 in rear. Crutchfield gives you detailed installation instructions and wiring harnesses so all you have to do is plug them in, no wire splicing needed. I bought a door removing tool from crutchfield too for the front doors. Total was a little over $200 and well worth it. Took me maybe and hour to install.
  • edifederaledifederal Member Posts: 1
    myha03.... which remote starter did you install?
  • satishbsatishb Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

I am looking to buy Honda Accord LX, talked to few dealers. There is this one dealer in chicagoland who is willing to sell the car much below invoice(approximately 600$ less), I have not visited them yet. But the dealer who are close to my house claim that he is selling the damaged car after being fixed. The advertisement does not exclusive say it is Brand New Honda, it only says 2003 Honda(that is the difference that other dealers pointed out).
    If any one has any idea with this kind of situation, please shed some light.
    I appreciate that.

Thanks
    satishb,

I wouldn't buy the car, it is definately damaged. Just think about it, otherwise why a dealer sell a 2003 Accord for $600 under invoice? I've seen this before. Once I went with a friend who saw a great deal for a maxima in the paper, I think it was like a $1K under invoice. I had my doubts about the ad, he didn't. We drove a hour to get to the dealer just to find out it was a damaged car that had been fixed. The other problem was that he wouldn't even show us the car, he wanted us to buy it sight unseen.

I think it would be wise to just spend the extra $1K to $2K and buy a car you know doesn't have any body damage. Chances are the accord for $600 under invoice has had some paint work and possibly some metal work done to it.
    or at least major work is pretty easy to find... all the body panels have VIN tags on them. Trunk, bumpers, fenders, doors, hood, etc.

Of course, the dealer near you could be trying to convince you to buy from him. Why not call the dealer in Chicagoland, and ask him some questions? First, find out how much you can get it locally, then figure out how much you actually may save, then call them and find out, there may be a higher doc fee, or some other fee that they charge. I would get everything in writing before I take a long trip to save a few hundred dollars.. especially since they could be eaten up quickly by "window etching", or other mop and glo products.

tblazer, yeah, all panels have vin labels on them, but a car can still have body damage repaired and the VIN labels would still be on it, such as if a dent occured and they used bondo to fill it and paint it over. The original VIN label would still be there. Personally, ads like that are typically too good to be true, therefore I would stay away.
  • mikestl24mikestl24 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,
    I am waiting to have the metal look dash kit installed on my car and was wondering if anybody has gotten it yet installed. If you have a pic of how it looks, I would love to see it. I am debating on if I really feel like waiting for it since I am getting use to it. Thank you in advance. BTW...I am getting the windows tinted on this Tuesday, so if anybody wants to see how it looks, I will send a pic after it is done. Just let me know.

+++MIKE+++
    but bondo would be relatively easy to find, as would the matching overspray on the inside of the body panel.

All that aside, I would assume that they would have to disclose this information if asked, just like you have to disclose any previous damage over $500. They probably would be willing to give it to you in writing. The reason I say this is because it is an LX, which is the "get em in, knock em out" trim line for the Accords, so if they got 'em, why not? I have seen them advertised locally here for a few hundred below invoice. Screamer ads, of course, but that is what is being referred to anyway.

I bought my car $800 less about 30miles away from my closest dealer, mainly because they were a bigger dealer, and were willing to sell the car cheaper. It was the same car the previous dealer would have sold me since it was the only local 5MT in the area.

• dukeofbdukeofb Member Posts: 3
    Check my post in "Interior trim options on 2003 Accord" Sorry, no picture, but you can see it on CollegeHillsHonda website, or Honda's own site.
    tblazer, Bondo is not easy for everyone to find nor is overspray. I can figure out easily if a car was bondo'd, but I know most of friend's can't see where on a body panel bondo is. That's why I end up going with everyone to look at used cars and sometimes new cars.

You are right, the dealer is supposed to tell you what has been repaired and how in writing if you ask for it. But I know in NJ, the dealer doesn't have to tell you if you don't ask.

Getting back to the point, why would anyone buy a brand new car if it has body damage? I know I wouldn't even if it was $2K off, even if the dealer did disclose in writing what was repaired and painted. In my opinion, it's just not worth it. Even though, the Accord LX is a "get em in, knock em out" car, they still want to make money on it, and they should be able to sell the 2003 especially, for a profit. That means, if a dealer is selling a 2003 Accord for $600 under invoice, it has problems.
  • mikestl24mikestl24 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Buddy,
    Thanks for the heads up on your post earlier. I am going to go ahead and just have them install it on Thursday since I already paid for it. I am really looking forward to seeing how the windows look with the tint. I get it done on Tuesday, hopefully it will look good!!!

MIKE
  • tailstootailstoo Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone installed any of the audio options for the '03 Accord? In looking at Collge Hills Honda, it does not seem too much work to install a cassette player in the Accord, but I'm a little uneasy about taking apart my two month old car. My dealer will install the unit for about $80, and I'm thinking that it's a fair deal.
    that is pretty fair. be aware that the flip-up pocket will no longer be there anymore, and instead you will have a din sized slot below the tape player. just an FYI.
  • shadowfax2shadowfax2 Member Posts: 22
    for an 03 EX V6 sedan? What would you do to improve the appearance of this car (buy a Passat?..only kidding!!) I like my car, inside and out, but Im wondering what accessories are worthwhile. Bra? Chrome tailpipe extensions? Mud flaps? Spoiler? Wind deflector for sunroof? I don't want to spend a fortune, and I don't want anything too gaudy. Any thoughts, opinions?
    Definitely mud flaps ... they seem to "lower" the car down.

I also like the decklid spoiler. saw a Graphite Pearl EX V6 with the decklid spoiler and it was sweet. Took away some of the "frowning" of the rear end.
    Are these accessories that should be purchased from the dealer, or is there some other less expensive aftermarket source, and what about installation? Any idea what this will cost?
    Mud flaps can be done by you as long as you get the directions and have a screwdriver. They are bout $80 on www.handa-accessories.com. I would have the spoiler installed at the dealer but you can also buy the spoiler at handa-accessories.com for $269 whereas the dealer will want $400. You will have to pay for the installation but it shouldn't be enough of offset the savings by buying the parts yourself. I would get all genuine Honda parts but that's just me .. I am a little picky.
    I noticed on a different post that you own a Coupe. You think the flaps and spoiler will look good on a sedan as well? I will check out the website you suggested.

I looked at the Coupe too by the way. The dealer had only 4-cylinder models. My son and I took one out and it flew around the corners...nice car. But my family did not want a 2-door vehicle...since for the last 11 years I have been forcing them to squeeze into an MX-3 GS coupe (not the primary family car..but now completely out of the question since kids have grown...they have a tendency to do that...

Anyway, dealer said the 6-cylinder coupe was a "rare" car meant only for "enthusiasts" and they would get only one or two a year. I suspect he said that because he didn't have any.

Anyway, thanks for your help and enjoy your car. I am very happy with my automatic sedan. If I want to shift I can still borrow the MX3 GS from my daughter!!
    you are welcome.

I saw a gray sedan yesterday with the mud flaps and rear decklid spoiler and it was VERY nice. I think the mud flaps are a necessity for fashion as well as function but the spoiler is up to your personal tastes. Have you been to www.honda.com to build your own Accord? You can add most of the accessories and it will show you a picture that'll give you an idea of how your car will look.

As for the V6 being rare .. the 6-speed will be but the automatic V6 should be pretty common. They are all over the place here. We had a much harder time finding a 4 cylinder 5-speed than we would have an automatic V6 or 4 cylinder.
    Thanks so much, anonymous, for making me aware of this website. I just ordered the mudflaps and also some touchup paint (hope I never need it). I will wait a bit on the spoiler. I'd kinda like to see one up close in person before buying. Maybe I'll cruise back over to the dealer to see if they have any outfitted that way.

Yes, it was the 6-speed V-6 that the dealer indicated was rare. I have yet to see another 03 Accord in my town..but I'm sure that will change.
This discussion has been closed.