Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• saleemsaleem Member Posts: 114
    i heard www.handaaccessories.com is good for honda parts like these?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I've heard that the incentive has been extended until 30 Apr though as noted dealer does not have to share money with customer as well as special finance rates.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Then you have dirty mud flaps then you will constantly need to be cleaned.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Just checked back in. Don't think I said anything negative about Honda, just something positive about another "H" car, which was off topic & I apologise for that.

The Accord is a great car, no question about it, but there are other alternatives.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Sorry we cannot discuss your statement about the Accord's "superior resale value". Too bad, as The Grad said, that the mid size comparison discussion was killed off because of the behavior of a few posters.
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    I'd rather clean mud flaps then have to repair stone chips. :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Exactly my reasoning.
  • hitman80hitman80 Member Posts: 17
    Saleem,
    I got the internet quote and its mentioned that Dealer/Lender fee, Dest fee, DMV, etc are not included but they didn't mention how much are they going to cost.

Can we bargain from the internet quote??? :)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    "Can we bargain from the internet quote???"

I hear this every day...people call me and ask me for my "best" price. When I give them a rock bottom number, they still ask for more.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Why not? Salespeople ask customers what they have to have for their trade, and then offer less..

Are you saying you never went lower than your "best" price to make a deal? Do you always give your absolute lowest price on the first quote?

If so, you are probably the only person on the planet that does that. It is all negotiation.. You want the most money for the car.... the buyer wants to pay the least... Nothing wrong with that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It's just funny though.

" I don't like to go back and forth or play games...just give me your bottom dollar"

" O.K...I'll let you have that for 17,433"

" Can't you do any better than that"?

A few years ago, I told a story here. We had a area with a bunch of new Hondas all sale tagged. One of the lot attendants made a HUGE mistake and he tagged an EX Civic with a tag for an LX. We would have lost a lot of money.

Sure enough, a customer spotted that car and made a beeline for it. I saw a MAJOR error had been made. After talking to my boss, I told the customer it was a horrible mistake but we would honor that price.

I sat him down and wrote up the deal. Not good enough for him. He actually offered 500.00 less!

I let him know we would honor that price NOW! If he left, I would correct the error. Well, he didn't believe me and left saying he needed to "research" the deal.

I immediatly corrected the sale tag. An hour later, he was standing in front of me. " I'll take the car"

" Great, here is the new price"

It was hard not to laugh as he walked out shaking his head.
    Yup.. some people wouldn't know a great price if it bit them...

You have to do your research.. when you find a great deal, pounce on it!!

But, always ask for a little less.... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hitman80hitman80 Member Posts: 17
    Thats bcoz salesperson never offers his best deal in the first time. If you do, you might be an exception.

Your job is to make money on customers and on the other hand customers try to get the car for lowest price. I think there is nothing wrong in negotiating. If you are selling a car for $20k an avg and when the customer asks for initial quote..you gave him 22K and if the customer is ready to take it..will you tell him that he can bargain it to 20k or sell it for 22k?
  • jcash2dsjcash2ds Member Posts: 29
    It's just funny though.

" I don't like to go back and forth or play games...just give me your bottom dollar"

" O.K...I'll let you have that for 17,433"

" Can't you do any better than that"?

It's funny cuz you don't give him the absolute lowest price first time around...you still cushion it with profit, however little it may be.
    Gasp! What a dirty word!
  • jmdshortjmdshort Member Posts: 1
    w/ Fog Lights, Splash Guards, and Floor Mats...

$ 26K out the door from Honda Carland in Roswell, GA. While I don't have the breakdown of my base price ($ 23,740), I am fairly certain that I got it for about $1K - $ 1,250 below invoice.

Purchase was initially handled via fax, phone and email with several other local dealerships (thanks to Fighting Chance for teaching me that process) and then finalized with Carland.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Have the incentives gone awy?
    Clearly dealers need to make profit-- they're a business. It's our job as buyers in a competitive market to try to get the best price we can, though.

Anyway, my question is this. Dealers *seem* to make very little per car sold. A couple hundred bucks on keen buyers, maybe 1,500 on dumb customers right now. Maybe when the 03-07 accord was newer they were getting more, but still, this doesnt pay for the salary of ALLLL those salesmen and support staff, the building, etc. So is the actual sale of the car really a "loss-leader" for keeping them for service etc? I guess money is made on extended warranties and the fee-room.
    How about the servicing of those 300,000 Accord they sell every year?

I don't think too many car dealers are losing money.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mguiniossomguiniosso Member Posts: 9
    To date, I've never taken my cars (have bought 2 new Accords over the last 7 years) to the dealer's service center for anything....everything is way overpriced compared to Firestone (and Pep Boys, when I rarely go there)....especially oil changes which are on average 1/2 the cost elsewhere.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I try to do at least 1 oil change with my local dealer to at least have something in the computer just in case I have some warranty issues down the line. In the late afternoon, they also run oil change specials which come very close to the "cheaper" places, so I'd rather have a genuine Honda filter in there if at all possible. And my Civic also uses 5W-20 oil I think and wonder if every store carries that grade, as most cars seem to use 10W-20.

The Sandman :)
  • mguiniossomguiniosso Member Posts: 9
    I asked this 'question' to the dealer w/ respect to the warranties...as long as I do oil changes/servicing and have proof of this (statements)...and especially at places that keep their own electronic records (Firestone), no issue will be raised for getting servicing @ the Honda Dealer. I wonder how much of the 'Cost to Own' figure is based on dealer servicing. At the most, one can save 50% off the 'cost to own' figure...the little things add up over time.
    Except the really cheap customer will only use the dealer for warranty work. Once the car is out of warranty we will never see it again unless their cut-rate shop isn't capable of diagnosing a difficult problem. Then they will bring it to us.

Some of these chain stores and quickie lube places butcher the cars too. They use cheap oil filters, overtighten oil pan bolts and strip the threads out. They sometimes put in too much or too little oil too.

Funny, the other shops usually aren't that less expensive.

So, we don't see all of those 300,000 Accords.
    Just save your receipts.

A lot of dealers have adjusted their prices on things like brake jobs and oil changes. You just think you are saving a lot of money.

And a question...

If you were looking at two used cars, the make doesn't matter. One car had heen totally dealer maintained and the seller had a folder full of records. The other car had been to K-Mart, Wal, Mart, Firestone etc for all of it's service, would one of these cars be more appealing to you?

Also, the "chains" love to "up-sell". They are quick to push other items and repairs that may or not be needed.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    My dealer charges something like $20 for an oil and filter change + checking stuff and filling the washer fluid. It's about the same price as Jiffy Lube, and I have a little more confidence that the Honda dealer is doing it all right. Plus, they have all the records in case something goes wrong. The one thing to watch out for is that the dealer tends to want to sell you more preventative maintenance than Honda itself recommends. But, as long as you ask them to just do what's in the manual, I think it's worth it to take it to the dealer. I know a lot of people don't agree...

I have a question. If you get a new Accord with navigation, and then buy the extended warranty from Honda, is the navi system covered by the extended warranty?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • jbl8jbl8 Member Posts: 40
    I want to buy a Accord SE V6, dealer give me quote of $20615 including dest. I would like to trade-in my 2002 Accord LX with 72K miles, but got quote of $7000. According to Edmunds, the average value is about $8600. Did I miss something? Please chime in!

By the way, if Honda dealers do not make money or little money (like $100 per car etc), why the dealership is getting better and bigger every year. We are preconditioned to the MSRP and Invoice, and really have not idea the fair price - which should be dealer cost + margin (10%, 25%, whatever it may be)

:lemon:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Dealers off low trade in values. It benefits them financially.
    If they give you less money for your trade, then that's more profit for them.
    So, you need to negotiate and shop around or sell it to a private party or to CarMax.
    That seems like a low figure on the tradein. Is 8600 the trade-in value? Maybe you should get the best price w/o the trade-in, or shop it around. try selling it privately? craigslist?
    In an attempt to keep Cost of Ownership numbers looking good, the maintenance reccommended by Honda reflects the MINIMUM a person should do. Some people, including myself, like to take better care of their cars than that.

And, yes, your NAVI sustem should be covered.
    The Edmunds numbers are a rough guide. Any reconditioning needed would be a deduction.

You can always sell it yourself if you think you can get more but ddepending on where you live, you could lose a sizable sales tax credit by doing so.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    There's a lot of truth to this. I don't know how many times, over the last 25 years, I've gone to a place like Sun Tire for an oil change and drive out with new brakes, water pump, whatever. I'm not a mechanic and for the most part are at their mercy.

My brother drives an large, older Buick and swears by taking it to the dealer instead of these other places because they'll only do the maintenance he asked for in the first place.
  • w_byrnesw_byrnes Member Posts: 20
    I would suggest you first negotiate down the new SE price without mentioning your trade-in. Don’t visit the dealer personally – communicate with their internet manager through emails. The posts from members here who previously purchased a SE would give you some idea on what is a good price. You can email all the dealership within 100 miles radius. You are not going to these distant dealers but use them as your leverage and reference.

After you have got a good price on the new car, you can start to pay physical visits the dealers. Your 2002 LX should have a very good resell value. The dealer will make money both ways, a lot of money. You should be able to stick with the trade in price from Edmunds or KBB. I also traded in my Camry 04 LE when I got my EX-L. The first several dealers only would offer 11000 at the most. The last one offered 12800 and they earned my business. BTW, they are selling this car at $14995 as an internet special.

You need some patience especially when there is a trade-in involved. The salesperson has a lot of skills to talk you into there price scheme. They are real professionals.
    Well, we can usually smell a "hidden trade".

It's pretty simple really. If you don't like what you are offered, just sell it yourself!
  • jbl8jbl8 Member Posts: 40
    Thank you for the advice. I thought that I can fetch $10K for my 2002 Accord LX. But Edmunds gives me around $8.5K to 9K. Fine, I can accept it. The dealer really put me down by offer $7K for the trade-in. I might as well keep driving my good old Honda. Anyone bought a SE V6? Please post your price. I saw the price of $20.5K for SE V6 before TTL posted here.

Guess have to be patient. Indeed, salesperon's job is too drive up the price as much as possible, he/she has the time. But I don't :cry: that's why I don't like to buy new car.
  • he8833he8833 Member Posts: 52
    Accord SE V6 including the $750 dealer cash is $19,446 for a 4 cyl and $21,005 for a 6 cyl. This includes the Dest fee. This was from a dealer in Chicago...I will be getting another couple quotes from Milwaukee and MN for comparsion..*****Note this quote was from last month and included the 750.00 dealer cash.

Hey Isellhondas is their another rebate to the dealer avaiable at the moment? Or one coming
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    New here..........I am actually getting quotes on the above vehicle at below invoice pricing. Is this common with Honda, or are they pushing out the 07's for the 08's? If so - when do the 08's arrive? $25,500 for a Loaded Accord w/Nav is pretty darn good IMO.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    jbl8 - There's no way I would trade in an Accord. Sell it privately, either through one of your local newspaper's classifieds, a "Penny Saver" or "Thrifty Nickel" type newspaper, craigslist, etc., anything but trading it in - you will be thousands better off.

Dealers always low ball trades, regardless if it's a Honda, Toyota, etc.
  • w_byrnesw_byrnes Member Posts: 20
    >you will be thousands better off.

That is true. However, you may also want to consider the tax saving and time/trouble saving for trade-in.
  • bamaflumbamaflum Member Posts: 39
    Hey Isellhondas is their another rebate to the dealer avaiable at the moment? Or one coming

I will be purchasing in the next month and would like to know also if the rebate is still in effect with so many Accords going for below invoice.
    I am fairly confident that I have seen the rebate is still in effect. I wouldn't expect anything to change unless the rebate is upped to a higher amount later in the year, closer to the 2008 launch.
  • macthor2macthor2 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to your posting, I contacted Grand Honda in Elmhurst and my 80 yr old uncle bought a VP from them for $17,095 + $58 doc + TTL on Saturday. If he paid cash, it would have been $16,345 for the car. The $17,095 included destination charge. Honda is running a $750 rebate on cash customers for Honda’s cars. The salesman was very nice and I would recommend him to any one. His original quote was $100 higher.

I know I got a great deal because their two dealers near my house and uncle’s (Pauly Honda and Motor Werks in Barrington) quoted $400-$500 higher and cannot match Grand Honda’s price. Actually, their original quotes were $300-$400 higher, but I called GH and said if they lower their quote by $100, I would come buy today so it became $400-$500, and they said ok right away. I was afraid that GH may pull something like jack up the APR (since I don’t know my uncle’s score), but I asked them to pull his record before making the 30 mile drive and they that he qualified for the Honda’s offering rate of 4.9% for 60 months.

He also quoted an LP for $18,495, which is also lower than the other two Honda dealers.

I asked the salesman to put it in writing and sent my husband and uncle off. Once they got there, they tested the car, picked a color, signed the paperwork, and drove home, door to door was only 3 hours. It was the most pleasant experience that they had experienced. They said that everyone there was very nice and professional and there was no hassle whatsoever. My negotiation was done over four hours over the phone, including time waiting for the salesman to call back. I sent 3 emails, about 10 phone calls between the dealers (Pauly quoted cash price and Barrington quoted financing price so I had to clarify who’s quoting what). It was a whole new experience for me and I love it, it beats spending hours negotiating at the dealer and not even knowing if I got the best price or not).

However, my husband said that the Finance guy did ask if we want the extended warranty for $2000 (something like 6 years, 100,000 miles), but my husband said that my wife would kill me if I buy anything else, and the Finance guy smiled and stopped i
    It isn't a "rebate" but the dealer incentive is still ineffect.
  • bamaflumbamaflum Member Posts: 39
    It isn't a "rebate" but the dealer incentive is still ineffect.

Thanks. I hope to test drive during spring break and buy in April--once my wife gives me premission. ;)
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Permission to buy an Accord? My wife would kiss my feet and do a victory dance if I traded in one of my stupid toys for a Honda Accord. Great gas mileage, safety, room for five, nicely appointed--at half the price! Women love guys who drive Accords because it says that they're sensible, responsible, and unpretentious. Yup, everything we don't want to be known as...
    If being practical is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :)

I know I'm not the norm though!
    Be careful. No guarantee this will extend until April.
    the unfailing trend i've seen in prices paid since ..November?.. has been downward. As we near the debut of the 8th generation accord, with or without this 'incentive' i'm sure you can find a decent price.

when i bought mine no one mentioned any dealer incentive.
    I knew what I was willing to pay, and that's the way it turned out.
    I get these emails boasting great reductions and that "this is only good for X amount of days." Yet I keep receiving these messages every week or two.
    The only changes I would anticipate towards the summer/fall are deeper discounts. Of course the dealers want you in there ASAP. I still see 10,000 accords sitting on the lots.

As for the financing rates...that's a different story. :blush:

Just my 2 cents.
    So, how much would you really expect to save? Another 100.00? 200.00?

I have seen people trying so hard to play the wating game in hopes prices will go lower but often they don't. Inventories shrink to the point there is no reason to continue incentives.

And there are always people who happen to really LIKE the current model and are fearful of the changes in the new redesign. For that reason (and for the savings)they will buy now when they can still get the model and color they really want.

Saving a few dollars isn''t the most important thing to a lot of people.
  • he8833he8833 Member Posts: 52
    Isellhonda,

Why doesnt the dealer incentive show on Edmunds anymore?
    Personally, I waited 2 months and saved nearly 1000(compared to what they were offering earlier). How's that ?

Another 100 or 200 is great. You need to take into account the interest on this... heck, would you rather pay 20,000 or 20,500 if you had your way?

I'm sure most people reading these posts ARE money-conscious, which is why they are here to begin with, and wouldn't mind saving a couple hundred bucks. Besides, if they can wait a few months, as they said earlier, what's the harm in that? Again, the Accord inventory is nowhere near depletion.

Maybe to you saving a few hundred isn't a big deal; to me spending a few thousand (nearly 10K more) on a house crumbs off the cake. And to Mr. Gates saving a few million is pocket change. Be mindful to respect every individuals' situation.

I will say that I'm one of those who prefer to buy the last year of the current model than the 1st year of the new model. I dont' particularly fancy the new design- but this did not spur me to rush into a 20K purchase.