Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• compwhiz82compwhiz82 Member Posts: 2
    When might I see this price come available for an 2008 accord sedan EX-L V6 with navi? Am I dreaming or do I have a better chance of waiting until Spring or Summer of 2008 to get this price? I helped someone purchase a 2007 EXL sedan for $22K OTD in April the sticker was a little over $27K. Please tell me I'm not dreaming, because I don't wanna pay anymore than that.
    Thanks.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Probably around 2011.
  • iandeleoniandeleon Member Posts: 20
    You won't find it for that much in Houston, EVER!
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Nitrogen tire inflation. . . what is that??? What purpose does it serve? What does it cost?
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    :confuse: I was told by the dealer (CA) that the actual invoice for the '08 sedan EX-L V6 w/ Nav is $28,313 (vs. 28036) since they have to pay Honda for advertising cost. Has anyone been told this before or have any info on this? Thanks.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It's moot. They conveniently tell you about advertising cost, but, at the same time, they choose not to tell you about holdback.
    You are never going to be able to know exactly what their real cost is, so just get the lowest price you can.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Thanks for your response. I agree. I don't really care how much the dealer is actually paying for the car. I just want a great deal and after it is all done I know that the dealer did not lose money or he wouldn't have sold the car at that price. My target price is about $28,000 for the EXL V6 Navi, don't know if that is doable soon in northern CA, but we'll see.
  • uscratchuscratch Member Posts: 27
    I live in Chicago area. I'd like to know where you purchased your new accord. If you could, please let me know the name of the dealership and contact info.

Thanks!
    "My target price is about $28,000 for the EXL V6 Navi, don't know if that is doable soon in northern CA, but we'll see."

Try to go 28k OTD.
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    yes. I was charged the advertising fee also. They told me everyone has to pay it one way or another. I didn't like it but I paid for it.
  • nacho2nacho2 Member Posts: 82
    I think if you waited this long you can wait longer. Honda's are mass volume vehicles. Paying MSRP is a SIN. I leased our 2006 Honda Accord EX(leather) v6 with $0 down for 24 months 15k $366/month including tax. My least ends Dec 12th and I will wait because I will only pay invoice or less and $0 down here in Los Angeles for my car.
  • hannoushannous Member Posts: 24
    I have a question on the terminology everyone is using. This will be the first car I buy, so bear with me.

When everyone refers to OTD, that means Out The Door, correct? Does that include taxes, title, registration, etc? Or is that tacked on after?

Also, I received a quote from a dealer here. After he discounted the car he included the delivery fee, options and calculated the tax at 5%. But then he added $930 for a line item called Reg/Lic/Title/Fees.
    I'm in Maryland, is any of this negotiable? Seems like a lot of money to not break something out by line. No?

When people refer to getting the car at invoice, that's before taxes and everything...correct?

Thanks in advance for the help. This is a nice service.
  • cljackcljack Member Posts: 13
    Do not go to O'hare Honda in Chicago area, they lie on the phone and when you go to buy the car they don't keep the promise. I wasted 2 days for nothing. I also heard that they have a pathetic after sales service. They claim that they have the lowest price but in fact their prices are always more then 500 dollars from others. I would suggest to refrain yourself from this dealership if you need piece of mind and good deal.
  • cljackcljack Member Posts: 13
    OTD means "Out to the door" this includes ALL THE Costs. You should not pay more than OTD to drive the car home.

Be very careful before you go any dealership as they add so many other costs when you arrive at the dealership. Talk to you bank before getting it financed from dealership you might be able to save some money and hassles.
    Thanks!!!
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Also, I received a quote from a dealer here. After he discounted the car he included the delivery fee, options and calculated the tax at 5%. But then he added $930 for a line item called Reg/Lic/Title/Fees.
    I'm in Maryland, is any of this negotiable? Seems like a lot of money to not break something out by line. No?

Yes, it does. It sounds like he added a lot of profit into that $930. The best way to negotiate is to find a dealer who doesn't charge $930 and tell this dealer that you can get a fairer deal elsewhere

And what is the delivery fee? If you're not referring to the destination charge that's on the sticker, that's probably another added dealer profit. Also what "options" are included. As Hondas don't really have options (they have added accessories), some dealers add other profit makers as options such as window etching and paint protectorant.

You're welcome to post a line by line item of the quote on here, and people will comment on your offer.
  • bdeabdea Member Posts: 5
    I've been searching for the last month on a 2008 EX V6/I4 Auto,The Best Price has been Honda of Serramonte in Colma,CA (a really Dead Town...most of the population is in its cemetaries !!!)The General Manager, 12 Trees has been very straight forward and has beaten the lowest price quote by $300. My deal was 2008 EX V6 Auto Cloth Interior,11 Miles on Speedo,Free Wheel Locks,Mud Guards and Door Edge Guards:

This was his most aggressive price match, Kudos his efforts!

Price $24,088

Doc 55

Dmv 217

CA Tire 8.75

Sales Tax 8.25 1,991.80

Total $26,360.55 :shades:

P.S EX I4 Auto $22,171 +T+Lic

Good Luck to all of you on your price searches ;)
  • sl372sl372 Member Posts: 4
    It was Joliet Honda, illinois. Send me an e-mail for specific information to yup2000@msn.com
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    $28K OTD was for my friend's '04 EX V6 Navi he bought years ago in Northern CA. EX-L is about $2K more. Also, Honda prices have increased a little bit every year. I doubt if you can buy '08 V6 EX-L Navi at $28K OTD. Try to negotiate harder in Fall '08 when they do clearance or wait until Fall '09. I am aiming for that same car. What color do you choose? I love Mystic Green Metallic. Good luck guy!
    Hey Jet,

Here is what I was quoted:
    2008 EX - $26,495
    Destination (this is what I meant by delivery) - $635
    The "options" were the add-ons:

Paint Matched Moldings - $399
    Wheel Locks - $76
    Splash Guards - $143
    Trunk Tray - $146

The above he quoted at a total of $25,481
    Tax of $1310.8 (5%)

Then there was the line that said Reg, Lic, Title, fees of $930.
    So, total cost quoted was $27,721

Since then my fiancee and I have decided we want the EX-L V-6 W/ Navi, so the quote is moot, but I wanted to know what the $930 was. It didn't pass the smell test (but I figured I'd double check first).
    $27,721 for an Accord I4 is a BIG JOKE. Please tell that dealer forget it. With that amount I can buy more than a V6 EX Accord w/ Navi.
    Yeah, I figured the internet quotes weren't going to get me much more than a request to come to their showroom. The only problem is that my fiancee and I travel so much, and her lease ends the day after Thanksgiving and we have to get her a new car. I'm actually overseas on business right now and she's a consultant, so we're both so removed from the area it's ridiculous.

What would be the ideal price on the EX-L V-6 with Navi? Is the 28k OTD mentioned earlier realistic? How flexible should I be? Within 5%? Do they ever provide decent deals via e-mail?
    I plan to buy an exact same Accord like yours. With $28K OTD right now you can't buy the '08 V6 EX-L w/ Nav. The cheapest offer now is $29.1K. It will be $31.9K OTD (8.75% sale tax).

You and I better wait a few more months. I do not need a new car right now so I can wait. Yet, this afternoon I met with my body shop guy to check on the paint job for my oldest Accord so I can sell it some time soon and buy a new '08 Accord. 3 years ago I had to pay MSRP for the '05 Accord hybrid because I was in a tough situation like yours right now. It means I badly needed an extra car for my son.

"Accord '08 V6 EX or EX-L is one of the best cars in the world" quoted by MSN car critic Dan Jedlicka.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Hannous,

- MSRP is what the sticker on the window is (includes dest)
    - Invoice is what the dealer supposedly buys the car for (includes dest). You'll hear the terms holdback and dealer incentives, which basically means the dealer really gets the car for less than invoice.
    - Your negotiations should typically end you up somewhere between MSRP and invoice. This is unless there are serious rebates or dealer incentives going on (like last year accords had 2k of dealer incentives, so people were getting GREAT values).
    - TradeIn, if you had a tradein, the value would get deducted now.
    - This yields the taxable amount.
    - Add Tax, varies by state and county
    - Add Tags, varies by state
    - Add Licensing fees, varies by state
    - Typically dealers will add an administrative or doc fee. This can range from 0 - 600 bucks. Some states have laws which limit this amount. This is negotiable although some dealerships will tell you it isn't. I let them move money around and take it out up top out of the car, and move it down below here because it isn't taxable here.
    - This yields OTD Out the door.

As you can see, an OTD comparison isn't really meaningful across states, unless you knew the tax rules for each state. But negotiating an OTD price at a dealership, negates the problem with dealerships trying to tack on additional fees.

You need to be very careful on the deals that some people are reporting. They could have a tradein where the dealer is giving them 2K less than it is really worth, yet they report a deal that looks too good to be true. Alternatively, someone might report a very good deal, only to get clobbered with their financing or lease rates.
  • jillejille Member Posts: 6
    Ourisman Honda (Bethesda MD). The key was that they were willing to beat the internet price of another nearby dealer. I was able to get the lower price by emailing several local dealers I would write a check for $25000 period. Bids came in. In the end I paid $25600 with the extras I mentioned (no trade-in). On the sales receipt, the dealer just backed into sales price assuming the $25600 bottom line:

base price $23446 (incl.door guards, mudguard, wheel locks, fender guards, nitro pro, trunk cargo mat, free oil changes, and first service free)
    processing fee $100
    destination $635
    tax $1209
    tags and title $210
    TOTAL $25,600
  • 08honda08honda Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to those who posted on this forum. Armed with this knowledge, I went to my local dealer, Leith Honda (Raleigh, NC) and negotiated 28K for my new EXL V6 w/ Navi. They threw in mudguards, oil changes and a tank of gas. With delivery 635 + TTL (3% in NC), my total OTD price was 29.5K. Good luck others!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Wow that's great. Leith is typically substantially higher than other dealers around Raleigh. You must have caught them in a particularly good mood.
    Was that the grey one with grey interior? I saw it on their website a week or so ago.
    Was there a trade involved?
    Congratulations. You got a very good deal.
  • holewholew Member Posts: 71
    Way to go! You got a great deal.

You did not mention if the 23291.03 included transport destination charge.

I have done some INTERNET inquaries and came up with the following prices

Anderson Honda, Baltimore, Maryland
    EX-L V6 no GPS = 25616
    EX-L 4 cyl no GPS = 23427

Schafer and Stromenger, Fallston Maryland
    EX-L V6 no GPS = 27550.09
    EX-L 4 cyl no GPS = 24769.86

All the above were plus destination, taxes and tags.
  • holewholew Member Posts: 71
    I am in Fallston Maryland.

Seems to me the way you have mentioned the extra $930 the dealer added on is in reality EXTRA DEALER PROFIT. It is a trick to get you to think you got the car at a great price when in fact you paid the dealer almost a thousand dollars more then the price you were quoted.

I have two INTEERNET prices for a 2008 EX-L Accord without GPS.

Anderson Honda in West Baltimore gave me the following
    EX-L V6 = 25615
    EX-L 4cyl = 23427

Shafer and Stromenger in Fallston, Maryland
    EX-L V6 = 27550.97
    EX-L 4Cyl= 24769.86

All the above prices are without GPS and do not include DESTINATION, OPTIONS and FEES. Now I do not know what kind of FEES might be charged or if the DEALER has added $10 worth of options for which he is charging $500 to $1000 extra. I will find that out when I call the dealer. I can tell you that I am not going for a deal which requires the payment of hundreds more for dealer installed options or pay a processing fee of hundreds of dollars. If a dealer has suckered you into visiting his showroom only to spring this extra cost options trap, just walk out immediately. You have nothing to lose. The dealer is the loser and you would not want to deal with such a dishonest dealer.
    Holew:

There is NO such thing as "OPTIONS" in Honda. You pick the trim line and you get everything for that trim line. '08 V6 EX-L PZEP w/ NAVI is the top of the line and you get everything. The discount price now is between $28.5K - $29K plus TTL (license plate/ registration, sale tax, etc). I am planning to buy that same car, preferably sedan, Mystic Green Metallic. I wait for a few more months to get bigger discount. At clearance sale in Fall '08 I may get $1K to $2K additional discount.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I think he is referring to the accessories that dealers add to the car. I recently walked onto a lot to check out the Accord coupe. I looked at a couple of sedans and saw that the dealership was charging $269.00 (no-that's not a type-o) for mudguards. Believe it or not, they had a silver LX-P on their lot that, because of exorbitantly priced paint and cloth protectors, mudguards, pin striping etc. etc. cost $31,000!!!!! Unbelievable!!!

This dealership is in my home-town and I gave them a chance when I bought my 08 EX-L. They couldn't come close to a reasonable price and so I went elsewhere. I live less than 90 miles from Denver, CO -- but, somehow the local Honda and Toyota dealers typically charge $1,500-2,500 more than what a Denver-area dealership would charge. How does that work? I'm willing to drive 180 miles (roundtrip) for a couple thousand dollars and, hell, I have a little money left over for a fancy dinner in the big city!
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    You can extend her lease on a month to month basis to get you some breathing room.
  • dreamcar5dreamcar5 Member Posts: 69
    I did follow up with Anderson Honda in West Baltimore on EX-L V6: $25,615

1.) They said $25,215 + $635 + Title + Tax, it was at its cost. This car needs to be ordered.

2.) The dealer "may" add upto $400 for "additional" accessories. :mad: Things like the running board etc. I could not get it

3.) I highly suspect Honda "quietly" gave the dealer additional holdback to speed up the 08 Accord Sales.

4.) It is a buyer's market, if we, the buyers, can keep "cool" for a month so, and the financial chaos on subprime get wore, we all can deserve a $1000 off the invoice price.

5.) I am a big fun of Honda and dislike the price. $24500 is a good price for EXL V6. ;)
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    Heres my deal last night EXL-V6 with side door molding(nice),BU sensors, Wheel locks, Tint, Mudguards, for 27.6K. Bought Ivory Gold metallic with Ivory leather. Really an exceptional car. Sat radio for 30days. Also Quakerstate oil if used warranties car for 250K miles. The seats are exceptional (like my BMW seats). Drives tight and quiet.
    Bought North-east Florida new dealership...Honda of the Avenues...I highly recommend. :lemon:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    My dealer just sent me a post card saying that they are giving away $300 extra trade allowance if you get any 08 accord!
    $300 is hardly anything to work with, really its just pocket change, Trade in Value is all determined by them anyway, therefore making it seem like the $300 they are give you is in the mix, but they can play with the numbers, making the $300 disappear somewhere. Apparently they are not moving them, because this is like the 3rd post card they have sent me, and I have only seen a couple move off the lot. I have drove by every weekend, the same cars are there in the same spot. This is to get people in the door, I know, but you gotta be smart about it.

It does get me all excited, atleast for a minute, but then realize how strict they are right now with the 08's, so its not worth checking right now on a deal. I think I want the Coupe, EX-L 4cyl, Navi, RED!
  • bechanbechan Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the Detroit area. Just bought a 2008 EX-L V6 No Nav Sedan for $26,200 (includes destination) and $99 doc fees. This is $150 over invoice. I just requested internet quotes from all 15 area Detroit dealers. I got 7 quotes back in 3 days, with the best being $150 over invoice. I got a dealer close to me to match the price. I pick up the polished metal metallic sedan next week. Getting internet quotes do work!!! I wasn't expecting to get this kind of pricing so early into the introduction.
    Trade in, say NO. You may get more $$ if you sell it yourself. Example, my 2000 Honda Accord Ex 80K for $9K, and the dealer intial trade in price $6500, this is $2500 difference.

So please watch out your wallet if you deal with the dealer. Think about trade in as a reference not a true value. :P
    Just watch the action of gold trading today. It reached all time high of $806/oz.

This indicates that something in the financial system is not right. The huge writedown from Citi and Merill may bring down the financial system. The foreclosures are picking up the speed nationwide. The local real estate agents have been put the "Sale" sign for 5 months and none of homes have been sold.

If people can not even afford living in their homes, it is not uncommon for car dealers to lower the car prices to sell more cars. Buy EXL V6 for $24.5K or less. Be patient and you will get it. ;)
  • liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    I drove an 08 Accord EX-L4 this week and to be honest was not impressed with the extra h.p. I thought the seats were uncomfortable and the radio lacked any kick. The salesman offered to sell it at invoice which he quoted as $24,063. I then drove an 07 EX-L V6 and absolutely loved it. I thought the radio had a much better sound and the seats were more comfortable. Salesman admitted that a lot of people prefer the 07. This was the last 07 V6 on the lot and he was selling it for 22,914. I am currently driving a Camry 4cyl and I really believe the Camry has a better ride than the Honda. Now if I could just put the V6 engine and transmission from Honda in my Camry that would be the perfect auto.
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    The salesman has to say something good about the 07's because he needs to sell them.
    Got a quote of $29,138 + 100 DP, + taxes and title in Washington, DC.

Any thoughts?
    Base $27,403.96
    Destination $635.00
    Total Invoice $28,038.96

The maximum price is $28K, u might pay $1K more :confuse:
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Member Posts: 58
    so what happens to the engine if the VCM failure to engage???

does it stuck on running on 6 or 3 or 4?

I kind of skeptic about that... more crap to fix!!
    I am not too concerned about this.

1.) The Honda engineer set the default in the control module.

2.) Most will trade in theirs after 70000+ miles. The used car buyers will let you whether this is a big deal.

3.) It will be over for Honda if this happens.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Not really - he only had 1 left!!!.... :confuse: It will sell by itself to a discerning car buyer - esp at that price.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    You got a really good deal. I live in the sacramento area and I am looking for the best OTD price on a new 2008 Honda Accord LX-P. Any idea how much Honda of Oakland would sell it for? I am willing to travel to Oakland to buy. I would think it would be about $1500 cheaper then EX. Thanks for your help.
  • superkimbosuperkimbo Member Posts: 3
    I bought my car last night from Carson Honda in Carson, CA

I got the price down to $24,488. But paid extra for some add-ons. in all, I paid $906 extra for:

Deck Lid Spoiler (free)
    Splash Guards (about $200)
    Moonroof Visor (free)
    Wheel Locks (about $100)
    Trunk Tray (free)
    LoJack ($595)
    Alarm (free)

So overall I paid $25,394

Good luck!
    You overpaid the dealer by $335. The invoice including destination is $24153.