Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    Honda was making killer deals on 2009 Odysseys. They were not selling. They were putting as much as $3500 in incentive money on them. Those deals ended July 6, 2009. I know, as we missed out on a purchase by thinking the deals would get better. They did not.
  • ratten46ratten46 Member Posts: 11
    I got the "they must be lying to you" line from several dealers as well. It wasn't until I got an OTD price from a dealer that the local ones started to take me serious. And then...they monkey'd with the trade-in until I got a quote on trade-in from someone else in writing. At one point, I had 3 dealers matched on price on the new van, with a $1500 variance in trade-in - all with similar fee structures. In the end, it's all about the bottom line - for both you AND the dealer.
  • rmg7rmg7 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks.

Been on the phone all morning with dealers all over SC, NC, and GA. Best price:

31,600 OTD - and they will deliver it to my driveway (you guys with 3 kids ages 4,2 and 1 know how much that's worth).

Even includes pinstripes! (guy told me it cost $15 per vehicle - he has a man who comes by the lot to do all of the vehicles at the same time :-)
  • joefar75joefar75 Member Posts: 46
    So I go in touch with a local dealer that has a no frills showroom, and when I say no frills I mean it's a little scary just to use their bathroom.
    I like the Sienna Looks a lot better, but with what I want it's out of my league. .
    I emailed the internet sales person an offer of 29295 and she asked Where was I registering the car? DOes it make a difference?
    Can anyone shed some light on that?

thanks
  • alangpalangp Member Posts: 13
    So you basically negotiate price via email and seal the deal? Do you have the email stated the price from the dealer from whom you bought the car? Do you mind to forward it to me (season_spring@yahoo.com). Thanks.
    I am in Iowa and got an internet quote for EX-L for 30110 (with splash guard) TTL extra. I just need more quotes from other dealers to lower the price. The reasonable price should be 29000-29300 for EX-L.
  • billikidsbillikids Member Posts: 10
    Alangp...I did most of the negotiating on email, but did talk to a couple of people on the phone too along the way. I'll shoot over the quotes I had. I don't have one for the final offer where I bought except to say she'd match the best offer I had.
  • krishkrish Member Posts: 24
    rmg7, Could you please let me know the dealer's name, and city ?
    TIA.
  • shoppingintxshoppingintx Member Posts: 3
    Thank you everyone for your input, it's been a great help. I'm going to buy this week and below is the best price I have so far. What do you think?

Sales price: $33,000
    Lic and Reg: $279.05
    State and dealer taxes: $2,128.14 (6.25% tax rate)
    Total Drive: $35,407.19

What are "dealer taxes"? Is that a sneaky way of throwing in a dealer fee? I've calculated state and local taxes I know about and the difference is about $100....which is commonly a "doc fee". There's another dealer I'm working with that I think will beat this price, by about $200.....we'll see what they say next time I talk to them. In my research and shopping, this looks to be about the best I can do.

Thanks for any in put you can provide.
  • jenn478jenn478 Member Posts: 2
    I just wanted to pass along my experience today at West Side Honda in Knoxville, Tennessee. I communicated with them via email and used the prices paid in this thread as my guide. I sent emails to 8 dealers but only heard back from 4 of them before jumpting the gun and pursing the deal with West Side since it is closer to home for us.

2010 EX-L RES (dealer had the rear spoiler and all season mats already installed)
    Taffeta White
    $30,687 (including destination)

We were also able to score 2.84% for 60 months with BB&T!
  • laredotxlaredotx Member Posts: 1
    $28,700 (including destination) + TTL.
    Used a "modified Hogan" approach as follows. Went to Cars.com and found the lowest price for a new '10 EX-L that I could find nationwide ($29,411) and confirmed availability of the vehicle. Then used that and put in an AutoBrag at every dealer in South Texas for $29,000. One in Victoria accepted. Then shopped that offer around individually by e-mail until I got one to beat it in San Antonio at $28,700 and confirmed that it included destination. My local dealer would not match. So we schlepped up to SA today.
    Once we got there, I discussed a trade-in on my '02, which we drove to the lot, and which is, to be generous, in fair condition. They offered $4k, and I got them up to $4200 (KBB trade-in was $4225), but they wouldn't go any higher. I took it, and we closed the whole thing in a cash deal, and then drove the new one home.
    Really appreciated all the posts here. It was very helpful in my own negotiation, which is why I wanted to post mine and "pass it forward."
  • rangersacerangersace Member Posts: 34
    Hey hreza,

DCH Paramus Honda. They were the local dealer for me who I was hoping would be the winner. I actually didn't include the local dealer in any of the negotiations until the best deal was negotiated and then asked them to beat.

Unfortuntately, we were not able to find our 1st choice of color so we went were the 2nd. I know that's fairly accurate as one dealer checked the entire state and said there were only 2.

We're happy and hope to get it on Monday.

We are also going to buy some accessories such as splash guards and mats. Searched the web and found numerous internet sites who offer EVERY accessory for a fraction of the dealer. This was the cheapest site I found www.accessories-honda.com.

Good luck to everyone and thanks to everyone who posts on this forum for the help. I just sent to a buddy who's looking for a Toyota and told him it will work for any new car, just give it a shot.
  • ardentaznardentazn Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2010
    Hello All,
    Great info here.... I just want to report that the best I got is $29120 + T&L for the Ex-L... I was told that the $1250 incentive and the 1.9% APR is not combinable.. Is that correct???
  • haroyemomharoyemom Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I went to Pasadena Honda today to test drive the 2010 Odyssey Touring. The sticker price was 41000. The sale person told me that they probably would sell the vehicle at 37000 not including tax, license, and destination fee. Is that a good price? Did anyone who lives in southern california got a better price on the touring model?
    Thank you.
  • harkmonharkmon Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post, but wanted to share my experience purchasing a 2010 Odyssey Touring. I started approx. 1 month ago getting quotes, etc. I did go through a ZAG site to get several quotes from dealers. One quote was from one of the local dealers, 2 from Atlanta area dealers. The lowest price at that time was approx $36500 (in Atlanta- 2 1/2 hrs away). The local dealer was $37000 (and slow to respond, etc.). I was also looking extensively at the new Sienna.

2 weeks ago, I used the Zag site again, but looking in a different region (still close to me). I ended up with a quote of $2000 below invoice at $36,020-would be a 4 hr round trip. I called the local dealership and asked for "internet sales". The person who normally handles this was on vacation (good for me). I told them they had quoted me $37000 about 2 weeks prior, but I had a new offer at $36,020, could they match? He called back, said yes. (All the while, a very nice internet sales manager in McDonough, GA, was keeping in touch with me, willing to beat the price by $180) However, the dealer doc fees in (or near) Atlanta were approx. $300 more than my local dealer. Also, the McDonough dealer had different "add-ons" like nitrogen in the tires, etc.

With my local dealer, this was final price.
    $36,020 (which includes add-on of paint protection scam)
    $ 289 doc fee
    $ 21 title & lemon law fee
    $ 300 capped SC sales tax
    $ 247 mudguards & cargo tray

OTD $36877. I was able to secure my own financing thru Bank of America at 2.84 for 60 months.

I stood my ground on the dealer add-ons that I didn't want, I didn't accept them (like wheel locks). I did want the mudguards & cargo tray, but refused to pay an "installation fee" on the tray. I told them, "just hand it to me and I'll be glad to plop it in the back". They took that fee off after that. I also had a trade that was somewhat difficult. I recommend if you have a trade that doesn't have a great resale value to get a "Guaranteed Trade-in Amount" offer (but not from the dealer you want to purchase from). I had a guaranteed trade in amount from a local "Toyota" dealer. They had inspected and were willing to give me about $250 more than the "guaranteed amount", so I had that as ammunition at the Honda dealer. They were much more agreeable with my trade in numbers after that.

I ended up breaking even on trade, so I didn't include it in the figures. It did not affect my sales tax.

Hope this helps, even though Touring doesn't seem to be very popular.
  • billikidsbillikids Member Posts: 10
    Ardentazn, I was told the same thing that they were not combinable. Some of the dealers quoted me pricing based on me taking the dealer cash ($1,250). Others quoted higher, but said it did not include the cash in case I wanted to finance at a lower rate. Definitely shop around some local banks or online to see what rates you can get. For me, as long as I had a rate under 4%, it made more sense to take the $1,250. Obviously, this all depends on how much you want to finance.
    Man, thanks a million for forwarding all the quotes to me. I will use it to get a better price on EXL. My ideal price is 29k. Even at that price, it's same as last year but without honda special financing. Yeah, inventory maybe low but the model is at 6th year and new model is coming out like in 2-3 months.
    Another thing I like to mention, my neighbor just got a brand-new 2011 Pilot LX 4wd for 28k (TTL extra, OTD below 30k here in Iowa).  I checked the specifications, seems to me that honda began to use VCM i-VTEC engine and 5-speed automatic transmission with Heavy-Duty Automatic-Transmission-Fluid Cooler STANDARD on every Trim. I guess the new Odyssey probably will get the 6-speed automatic transmission with the same Cooler. This will solve some complaints about the current transmission. Of course, you do not have to worry if you just carry 2-3 kid and all the bikes on the current Odyssey for a long trip, in my opinion.
    Hi haroyemom,
    From my experience (Accord, Civic, Fit, CRV, now Odyssey), Pasadena has been one of the higher prices in the region. I am assuming it is due to the financial security of their customer base.
    Base on the info you gave... ZAG returned a price of $35,870 (destination included)... This is the price you can get with just a click of a button. Since they are selling @ about $2k under invoice now, the room to improve on this is about $100-$500. If you are satisfy with $35,870 price. Just buy through ZAG!
    If you want to get a better deal. Apply the Hogan Method...
    Goto http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/honda/odyssey/101193268/prices.html to get full dealer list
    You can also use Edmunds inventory check to see how many Odyssey the dealer has to give you an idea of how 'willing' they are...
  • pmpatelpmpatel Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2010
    Hi, I live near chicago land area and I went to few dealers (Castle Honda and Schaumburg Honda) this saturday to inquire about 2010 Honda Odyssey EXL with Navi and RES. The quote I got is $33,000 (not 30K as reported by accident) + TTL. IS THIS IS GOOD PRICE or Should I still shop around? This price includes $1250 rebate as I will not be financing it through them. I also don't know If I should wait until fall to see if the price could get better. Please Help me compare based on the quotes you have seen. I also don't know if 2011 Odyssey will be more expensive by $2k or higher for same model and function.

Thanks
    Hi, I live near chicago land area and I went to few dealers this saturday to inquire about 2010 Honda Odyssey EXL with Navi and RES. The quote I got is $33,000 + TTL. IS THIS A GOOD PRICE or Should I still shop around? This price includes $1250 rebate as I will not be financing it through them. I also don't know If I should wait until fall to see if the price could get better. Please Help me compare based on the quotes you have seen. I also don't know if 2011 Odyssey will be more expensive by $2k or higher for same model and function.

Thanks
    From my research $33k seems like a good price. Maybe an ace negotiator could get lower, but for a novice, I'm fine with it. I have a job and family afterall and my time with both is valuable too. I'm going to do a lot more work this week with dealers, as I will be buying this week. I'll let you know where I land. BTW, my price is with the $1250 rebate off already.

As for waiting, that's always a good thing to do when car shopping. I've found in the past that I've felt I need to buy at a point in time because of rebates, incentives, etc. However, if you really go back and do the math on different deals over time....the prices really don't change too much, no matter what cash or APR they are throwing out, it's really just them moving money around, you're still paying about the same. The only thing that changes that is close outs, which we're getting to with the Odysseys.

In regards to the 2011, I'm far from an expert. But, my thought is that the price won't be too much higher than the 2010....on paper. Problem is, you'll be in line to order them and have no leverage with the dealers. I doubt there will be any incentives and the dealers have no reason to negotiate with you. I want the 2011 and know that I'll like it better. My situation just dictates that I need one sooner rather than later. I could wait until they come out, but I'd be buying the first model year (not good) and pay top dollar. I'm buying the 2010 and will circle back to the new models in a couple of years and see what's out there then.
  • jmwa2305jmwa2305 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking in the Pittsburgh area also and wonder if you wouldn't mind telling me which dealers played ball and not- who gave you the lowest and was willing to negotiate- so when I come at them with similar sounding demands- Monday I will have all the info I can...
    Much appreciated
  • hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    You must be the judge, but if you've only gone to 2 dealers, you really don't have a great sample size re: quotes. It all depends on how much time you want to put in this, but you can probably save $1000 if you took a little time to read this board and apply the Hogan Method to a wider group of dealers.
  • magilladkemagilladke Member Posts: 15
    Did they stop making the 2010 Honda Odyssey's yet? I was just thinking if inventory may start getting reduced (or already is) for the 2011. Summer release I think?
  • minivan2011minivan2011 Member Posts: 1
    All,

This is my first post in this forum.

I'm looking for a minivan and I came across this advertisement. Please advice me, what would be the best price for 2006 Odyssey Ex minivan .
    I'm looking around 15k-16k.

2006 Honda Odyssey Standard EX 8 pass - $19000
    46k mileage. Clean Title, no accidents. Well maintained. Single Owner.
    New tires, New break discs and breaks pads.
    Extended Warrenty of 80k miles or 7 years.
    All service done by Honda dealer.

Here are KBB prices.

KBB Private Party Value:
    ========================
    Excellent $19,605
    Good $18,655
    Fair $17,405

KBB Retail Value: $22,205

KBB Trade-in Values:
    ===================
    Excellent $16,775
    Good $15,925
    Fair $14,475

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you.
    I am not sure what is the market rate for your area. But here's what I do usually:

-go to some classifieds ( craigslist, yahoo, local newspapers, etc..)
    -from there, you can get a sense of waht the going rate is
    -make your judgement from that...
    -KBB is a good starting pt but generally does not reflect the market conditions (as some cars will sell better in certain region/weather.. such as a convertible in CA)
    Thank you everyone for the posts. I just bought my Odyssey today:

EX-L w/RES in Bali Blue

$31,586 OTD (including all fees, taxes, transfer of titles, dealer add-ons - EVERYTHING).

Dealer said he couldn't do 2.9% with the $1250 incentive, so he called Bank of America. He got me 2.79%!! (he called me and said "Guess what - I saved you $2 per month - pretty cool huh?).

Anyway, I would have paid $32,100 - but once I read these posts - no way!

Thanks.
    Call just about every dealership in SC. They will all quote you between 31,400 and 32,000. Hilton Head Honda guy is still calling me with 31,400 - and that includes delivering the beast into my driveway!!!
  • sunnygosunnygo Member Posts: 2
    Signed a deal for an EX-L Nav and RES for $32400 + TTL......Some info for you guys out there looking for deals on Odysseys.....My dealer mentioned that he has another batch of 2010s on Order being delivered to him May 22nd so looks like the 2010s are still in production at the factory....Hope that helps you make your decision to wait or buy now....Thanks for all the great info in this thread,
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the info.

I am most likely going to pick up the car tomorrow. Narrowed it down to 2 dealers (pretty local)... There's one about 50 mi away that told me to bring in best quote and they will beat it by $500... But I am not sure how reliable they are, so I rather not drive 100mi for nothing....

I did take your advice and looked into alternative loan deals... Best I found is the 3.99% Penfed loan... now I have a back up... Thanks!

I will report back once I get the car...

(P.S. my intuition was correct.. I read some reviews on this "SOLID" Honda in the Inland Empire... NOT ONE of the sales reviews are favorable... All complaint of deception and lies....Man, I love the internet... =)
    I just copy your method and got my local dealer agree to sell me EX-L at 28,800 (destinations included). That's basically smooth exchange of emails. I guess I might have a chance to go as low as 28,500. Those dealer may have some special holdback support from Honda other than the 3% of MSRP. Well I am satisfied with my price and going to sign my deal tomorrow (OTD 30900 with 6% sales tax). Thank your guys for the help. This forum is great for price and other information.
    The internet sales manager told me they sold 15-20 in the past two weeks and the remaining 25 will be gone in 2-3 weeks. They are going to wait for 2- 3 months for new model, NO MORE 2010 coming!
    Boys and Girls, happy shopping. If you just like the current Odyssey mode and did your research, you can do better on price, but you may need to be hurry to find the color you like.
    Hi All,

After reading so many post messages (new user to this community), I requested e-quote from 8-10 dealers around midwest area. Here's the breakdown on 2010 EX-L with Navi and RES that i found from one dealer that I have signed.

$32155 with destination fee included.
    $419 fog lights installed.
    $299 for Prot Pkg (splash guard, wheel lock, cargo tray)
    $150 doc fee
    $25 Elect Filing Fee.
    $194 New plates.
    OTD: around 35643.
    Extended Warrenty 7 yr/75000 miles with 0 deductible at $900.

I wasn't sure If I should go with extended warranty but I believe it's a good safety to have, especially I don't put too many miles.

THANKS for so many of you that provided very useful information.
    Hi Harkmon,

Did you pay OTD $36877 with sales tax included? Or sales tax extra on top of $36877. If you paid 36877 with TTL then you got the best deal.
    rmg7, how much is your tax? Anyway, it's a great price. My wife dropped idea of having RES over the weekend, so I guess we will go with IPAD in our Odyssey. But the 115v and AV outlet are really handy, and the integrated sound system too. My guess is that one can pay 700-1000 more than EXL to get the RES before TTL.
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    The RES will be approximately $1000-$1400 more than the non-RES. Sounds like you might regret not getting it if the factory integration and power outlets are important to you.
  • krishkrish Member Posts: 24
    //Signed a deal for an EX-L Nav and RES for $32400 + TTL.....//

Could you pl post the dealer and city ? TIA.
  • hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    Everyone needs to make their own decision re: RES or no RES (or aftermarket RES). I posted a while back on how I came to decide on getting Honda RES. I do not regret the decision, and over the life of the vehicle, I don't think I'll care about the extra 800 bucks I spent to have the RES (assuming I paid about 1300 more than a regular EXL, and when I sell the car I might get 500 more than an EXL at that time).

Key things to consider:

1) the factory RES is a slick install and its fully integrated into the sound system, plus the DVD load is on the dashboard and not up in the unit like in some aftermarket systems
    2) WARRANTY WARRANTY WARRANTY - the factory system is under Honda warranty, and when I buy my Hondacare warranty then I'll have 7 or 8 years of warranty on this touchy electronics item. When you pay $800 or whatever to get your BestBuy installed DVD player, and it breaks after 2 years, what happens then? Do you have to spend another $800 to get a new one installed?
  • wcj41978wcj41978 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to purchase in the next couple weeks. I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area and we have 12 dealerships. One of the best offers I have yet is $35,715 which is MSRP down to $30,716.71 + tax title and license fees. Not bad at all but I am looking to finance about this amount so we're still in the process. I'll update any progress.
  • monimoni Member Posts: 9
    I sent emails to 17 dealerships in the North Texas area (around DFW), but I only got a quote from one of them. I was asking for a quote for a EX-L with NAV and RES in Polished Metal Metallic.
    I am really surprised by the lack of response. I am planning to buy by the end of this week before th 1250 dealer cash expires.
    One reason I am suspecting is that dealers dont have the color I am asking for.
    That's crazy, I have emailed about 7 or 8 of them and heard back by either phone or email from them all. You might be right, that may be an odd color with the options you want but it still seems like they are ready to pounce on any one email. Some of them have tried to offer me a lower trim level or color, I'm surprised they haven't done the same to you.
    edited April 2010
    If need be, I will get a little more flexible with the color.

Who are you getting the best quote from?
    Frank Kent and Honda of McKinney are pretty close to each other and are about $1K lower than everyone else, although McKinney is the lowest and Frank Kent claims to beat anyone by $500.00.
  • shankar1981shankar1981 Member Posts: 1
    Hi pmpatel,
    Can you tell which dealer did you buy from. I am also in the chicago area and am in the market for an EX-L w/RES-NAV. Thanks.
  • sunnygosunnygo Member Posts: 2
    Don Carlton Honda in Tulsa, OK.

2010 EX-L Nav & RES
    $32400 (Incl Doc fee) + TTL
    Similar situation happened to me in NJ as I also specifically requested Polished Metal. I only received about 11 responses out of 30. There were absolutely NO Polished Metal cars in NJ that anyone was willing to give up and there were only 2 in the entire state. I had to modify my color choice to Slate Green and one was located quickly so you may have to be a little flexible on the color as I feel inventories are dwindling.

Good luck!
    I too faced a similar decision RES or not to RES. I ultimately decided to go with the RES because of the remote and 120V input especially considering over the life of the loan the additional cost would be minimal.

If anyone is planning on buying you might want to do it before Saturday as you never know if the incentive is going to be there.
  • wantsdecentcarwantsdecentcar Member Posts: 8
    So I bit the bullet today. $29204 - OTD price $30247. Actaully received what I thought was a fair offer on my trade. Woo hoo!! Can't wait.
  • microallhymicroallhy Member Posts: 15
    Hi rangersace,

I live in the area also. Around Feb. First, I went to DCH Paramus Honda test drive LX Odyssey since they are only about 5 mins from my house. They gave me I guess at that time I thought was a reasonable price 24580 incl dest. plus ttl. It was not super high, it was not a bargain neither. They refuse to go any lower. I guess I am going to use this famous hogan method and give it a try again. EXL w/RES OTD for $33,438 what a deal! I would love to get the same deal you got. Did you directly talk to the Internet sales manager, do you might sharing any additional information. Thanks in advance!
    hey,

I am looking for the same car as you in the DFW area. You mentioned 33K, but pmpatel got the price at 32400, so are you shopping more or are you willing to pay 33k.

I am thinking about 32200-32400 base price should be doable based on the reported prices here in this forum.
    Hey, another question, Can you share which dealer did you get the best price with?
    The price I have is everything (fees, add ons, etc.). The van I'm looking at has the same features as pmpatel minus the fog lights. When you add in the fees and what was paid for on the extras pmpatel came in about $400 better than what I'm working on. In regards to the $33k price, only one other dealer is entertaining that, the others have said they can't match it (I've been actively in touch with about 6 dealers). I'm not sure what the regional difference is in Chicago, but I know that locally we're running about $300 over the national average.

My quote was with the $1,250 dealer cash, but I'm going back to get a quote using the 1.9% APR at 36 months. I'll post the details when I wrap it up and at that point I'll share dealer info. However, I will offer a word of caution, IMO I wouldn't go anywhere near Cleo Bay in Killeen. I'm more than upset with them over an issue that would take a long time to write out. I've pretty much used an adopted Hogan method, minus the lying part (I figure the business is corrupt enough, why contribute). That will probably cost me a couple hundred bucks, but money well spent in my estimation.