Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    greenie1 - What a horrible experience! I would recommend Mahwah Honda. It is a great dealer and I have helped several friends purchase new Accords from them in the past. If you want the name and number of the sales person, please email me.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Wow, Yes, what I bad deal! Its really sad as well.

This is what I am not looking forward to, when buying the 08. I have only found one dealer who is willing to work, but I have not even went in the door. I am not sure I want to buy yet. Winter is ugly, so I want warm weather, to enjoy my new car, but dealers get a little mad, when I simply get a quote to check the market. There is nothing wrong with that, I am sure if they offered some crazy deal, then it might make me decide to get one now. But, good things typically happen to those who wait.

That is sad, to let you out the door for something like that. $199. Wow. Idiots, they ought be ashamed, Well you know what, What goes around comes around!!

When they buy their new car, I hope they are horrible to them!!
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Clue #1: Any dealer that gives an online, e-mail, or phone quote and does not include or "forgets" to include the destination should not be trusted. This is just a ploy to make their deal APPEAR to be $595 (in this case) sweeter and make you think it was "the best so far" since the competition is probably quoting the car with destination included.

If some dealer did this to me, I would not bother to step foot onto their lot.

They also stuck a fairly high doc fee on top of the price.

Always get your quotes to include the car, destination, and any dealer fees. Then you can compare and decide who has the cheapest price. Tax, title, and license should be the same everywhere and if the dealer you pick has extra crap-o-la packed on the car then you tell them your are not paying for it and if they don't take it off the bill just leave.

Dennis
  • ramstein317ramstein317 Member Posts: 47
    Greenie: Well, things happen. The best way to overcome is "Let Go". And yes, I do agree that it was the ridiculous thing ever that the manager let you walked away for only $199 price tag. It's just a shame. On the conterary, something good will come your way, don't be dissapointed. If you look at it from a consumer's prespective, it's not YOUR loss, it' the DEALER's. In addition, the dealer will still be paying "Insurance", on the 07's, and not try to get rid of them as a monthly wise. The insurance is more then $199 price tag. You get my point. If you still want the 2007, try looking around more further. Likewise, there is not a point of paying any stupid fees as dealer fees, documents fee, marketing etc.. Because 200% you can get away with those fake fees. It's the dealers contribution on the car, not yours. You're not telling them to do everything on the documents to send to the financing company, or anything other "LEGAL" documents. That is how they work, and on a personal note, nobody needs to pay for these ridiculous fees. Furthermore, I would always try to get rid of the destinantion fees, because, I personally believe that it has nothing to do with a "consumer". Don't get me wrong, but, the destination fee is just one of the gains for the dealers. But if you are considering for the "new" one, then wait about a year or so, being that the Interest Rates will be easy to bargain, and so will be the price. Best of Luck!!
  • ramstein317ramstein317 Member Posts: 47
    Chuck1: This is what you stated in your first post, if I am not mistaken: I paid $21,200.00 plus fees in Southern California. It had everything except NAV. Contrary to popular opinion here, the dealers will not go to $20,000.00 on these. I was told after much haggling that 21,200.00 was it...no more and I even left the dealership and they let me walk away with this price. I bought it later. As it was it was something like $4,500.00 off sticker. A couple of thousand below invoice.

It's still only $1,000.00 more than a '08 BASE ACCORD LX.

***If that is correct, then what I wrote was, if that is the price you paid for a 2007 Accord 4Cyl EX-L(Leather), then it is still the price for a V6 EXL model +Tax. How could you pay the same price, where I can get the V6EXL trim level, and just pay the tax, and get the car on myself? That is what my point was. *****
  • lambulambu Member Posts: 16
    Just closed the deal for $23.8k OTD in Tampa Bay Area.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Does anyone know if I can do any better than $26,000 for an EX-L Sedan 4cyl, Navi?

I offered it, and they were quick to say, yes, we'll do it. Maybe I can do lower?
    But, how much lower, was it just luck?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Then your a better negotiator than me. Like I said - they let me walk off the lot at $21,200.00.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Destination fee is no gain for the dealer. It is a charge that is added to the invoice by the factory and passed on to the customer, Everyone pays it. If they let you think that you did not pay for it, could be that they overcharged you to begin with. One way or another you have to pay for shipping.
    Based on what I paid for my V6 EXL Navi, you could do a little better. But if it is the exact car you want and they won't budge on the price I would go for it. You would start enjoying your new car a lot sooner and not worth it to wait longer for a couple of hundred $$ of savings. I assume the price quoted includes destination and other fees except TTL.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    I don't mean to bite the "hand that feeds" (i.e. Edmunds.com), but after reading a lot of this discussion it's apparent that deals can be had that are far superior to Edmunds' "True Market Value" price. For instance, for the 08 Accord Sedan EV-L without NAV, the TMV is $25167 which includes destination. By what I'm reading here, I should be able to negotiate a deal around $3-4K less than that! What, then, is the purpose of the TMV? Is it truly a good negotiating tool, is it what one should expect in terms of getting a fair price in the current market, or should one expect just to negotiate using the invoice as the base?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    TMV is what buyers are actually paying for cars.. Not just CarSpace members, but the entire buying population...

So, yes... you should certainly shoot for a better price.. You don't want just an average deal, do you? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Good question, I don't know how they pick that number for TMV. Based on user reports? Dealer reports?

I always use invoice as the basis for any car transaction, less any dealer incentives or rebates. While you might not be able to deal that low at EVERY dealership rest assured that if you are willing to make some calls/e-mails/faxes and do a little travelling to get a better deal you should be able to get around invoice.

Hennessy, for example, quoted me just under invoice for either the I4 sedan LX or LX-P. This is for the car, destination, and dealer fees. The actual amount in relation to invoice will depend on the trim line you choose and how well that sells or how many or few the dealership has on the lot when you ask.

Dennis
  • yshawnyshawn Member Posts: 2
    Where are you in TX? Could you tell me the dealer's name? I want to buy the same car, and I think the price is good. Thank you!
  • hondahawkhondahawk Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have an opinion or other information about potential finance incentives from Honda Finance on the Accord? I understand that sales of the Accord are down and the interest rates keep going south in favor of the consumer. You would think that the company would throw us a bone very very soon. I'm holding out for anything under 5% 1.9% would be stellar! thoughts...
  • howard18howard18 Member Posts: 53
    It is in Houston.

Honda Cars of Katy
  • macdad3996macdad3996 Member Posts: 12
    I don't think you are going to see any incentives on the accord anytime soon. If you join the Pentagon Federal Credit Union for $20, they offer 4.99% for up to 60 months. I just used them to purchase my EX-L and it was very easy and good experience.

Keith
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Macdad3996,

If one joins it today does Pentagon Fed Credit union offer car loan at 4.99% immediately? How long is the process to get loan approved? They also offer credit card balance transfer @ 5.99% for life of loan. Any transfer fee? Thanks.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You can also check out all your local credit unions. One of my local credit unions offers 5.49%, so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to open another bank account in another state just to save another half a percent on a car loan.
    They are not down by much.

It looks like the Feb offers are up on the Honda page and they show "Standard leases" and no cheap financing for Accords.

Dennis
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Acura hurting big time, as is the Ridgeline. Something tells me the Ridgeline will go the way of the dinosaur.
    It's shocking that the all-new redesigned Accord is selling lower numbers than the 2007 did last year.
    Normally sales jump when a new model is released because there is a pent up demand from people who delayed their purchase in anticipation of the new model plus people who get into the market after they see an exciting new model released.
    I was not following it closely, but Honda had tons of cheap lease deals and dealer money on the 07 Accord last year, didn't they? I think they wanted to be sure that they didn't get stuck with a lot of 07s on the lots when the new design arrived. Ditto for the dealers - and I was told that some dealers blew out the 07s at little profit since 07 sales set 08 allotments.

I tried to talk my wife into a Ridgeline rather than a Pilot (same running gear) but she would not go fit it :D . We could have gotten rid of the pick up truck if I could have talked her into it.

The Element is something else that looks like may not be around much longer. Those with dogs and/or "active life styles" may go for it, but the rubber floor and uncomfortable waterproof seating for 4 don't do it for the rest of the folks. The newer design all metal Element looks a lot better than the plastic clad normal model, but that is a top line trim and there are other, better choices for that money.

They brought back a check lease deal on the S2000 for Jan, but still did not sell many of them.

Dennis
    This is comparing February 2007 to February 2008, so they were not afraid of getting stuck with the 2007s that early in the year.
    I think they were, everyone knew the new Accord was coming.

You would think that they would offer some better deals in any case, just because the Accord numbers are down as is all of Honda/Acura sales.

Dennis
  • frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    I was at Streater-Smith Honda in Conroe this morning for the first oil change on my 08 Civic LX and they were offering the same discount on an Accord EX. Maybe Honda dealers are getting a little worried about the economy, but nevertheless February tends to be a slow month.
  • hondahawkhondahawk Member Posts: 16
    I'm pretty sure that they will, it's just a matter of time. I don't think they can ride out the recession without it. The automotive industry is taking it in the jaw right now and Honda sales are down, especially the Accord. It is no coincidence either because of the new model year and dealerships unwilling to flex on MSRP.
  • keishamekeishame Member Posts: 1
    I have received an email quote of 24,327 + ttl for an 07 Accord EX-L V6 w/ Navi. Is this a good price? If not, how should I counter their offer?
  • carsandgarscarsandgars Member Posts: 3
    Mike Patton Honda in LaGrange Georgia prices all Hondas with the desination charge included in the price along with Splashguards and pin stripes when they can be added. Many of the prices on eBay are not the lowest price. If you see"Best Offer" activated, call for the real price. Honda will not allow prices to be advertised below invoice so that's why "Best Offer" is acivated on most listings.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    carsandgars...

You know anything about old BMWs?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Just a sample -

Boch Honda this week has 3 different Accord Models lease offers:

All are 3 Year Lease, 12K mi/yr, $2000 down, lease end buy option at 58-59% res.

1. LX-Prem : MSRP $22,795 (AUTO, ALLOY, PWR SEAT) $188/month

2. EX : MSRP $24,495 (ABOVE +MONROOF, CD CHGR) $228/month

3. EXL : MSRP $26,495 (EX +CLIMATE CTRL, HTD LEATHER SEAT) $248/month

+ sales tx, title, registration fees

I think BOCH is the cheapest due lots dealers hate Boch.
  • carsandgarscarsandgars Member Posts: 3
    A lot of times dealers will advertise $2,000 cash down on a lease but what they don't tell you is thay expect you to pay the normal upfront fees on top of that which on an Accord is $750 to $1,000 more out of pocket. Then you have to add taxes to your payment as well! Suddenly the out of pocket expense goes up along with the payment.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Looks like about $1800 under invoive. Funny Dallas dealer do "adjust to market value" add $2k to MSRP then clear coating, side mouldings ect, ect .
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Most Police Departments offer free VIN etching, I would never pay a dealer several hundred dollars for this.
  • rockinrobberrockinrobber Member Posts: 1
    Thanks everybody for your info. Here's my purchase story:
    Purchase date: Jan. 31, 2008
    Purchase vehicle: New 2008 Honda Accord EX Sedan I4 AT
    (10 miles odometer)
    $22,174.23 Cost of Vehicle (including $635 destination charge)
    $1,840.47 Sales tax 8.3% (Washington State, Skagit County)
    $50.00 Document Fees
    $82.75 License, title & fees (WA State Initiative Vote decreased this charge)
    $2.50 Administration Fees
    +-----------------
    $24,150.00 Total Out-the-door (OTD) Price

$22,256 Invoice price (including destination charge)
    - for 2008 Honda Accord EX Sedan I4 AT
    $22,174 My price not including Tax, Fees & License
    -------------
    $82 Below Invoice + Destination

I started out reading carbuyingtips.com on the Web. They suggested fightingchance.com, who changed me from a know-nothing sucker into a savvy deal maker. Other dealers were shocked when I informed them of this low price. One dealer, though, offered me $200 dollars under this deal, but he was a few minutes too late. I purchased from Sims Honda which is only 24 miles from my home. "Try it. You'll like it!"
    You should include any dealer doc or prep fees in "your price" since the same car purchased from a dealer that had no such fees would not be a fair comparison. In your case, that looks like $50 or $52,50 in fees that the dealer charged that they did not "have" to :D .

In any case, under invoice = nice deal.

Dennis
  • hoyamom2hoyamom2 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all of the advice here - it helped make this purchase run more smoothly than previous transactions.

Purchased 2008 Accord Ex-L 4 cyl w/ Navi on 2/3/8. $25,939 vehicle cost + $461 (tags/fees/processing) = $26,400

Did the deal via internet w/ Leesburg Honda. Went in that afternoon, they had four cars out (diff. color combos) for us to choose from, picked out ours and got home before the game started.

For us it was worth the drive (30 minutes) - smooth transaction, good selection, best offer. Maybe the dealer down the street would have matched, but they tried to jerk us around. Is a lower price possible? Yes, but we needed a car and given time constraints this saved me the cost of renting one. More importantly, we are fine with the price and are really enjoying the car.

Thanks again for all the advice.
  • christina271christina271 Member Posts: 65
    to everyone that has bought or is thinking of buying the accord coupe-what colors did you pick?

my first choice is black, but i'm being told that none are available till the first week in april. i put a deposit down on a polished metal monday night, and the car came in yesterday. i'm in no real rush and can wait.if anyone out there has the polished metal, would you say that it has a green tinge to it in the daylight?

thanks
  • macdad3996macdad3996 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2008 polished metal sedan and I don't think it has a greenish tint. But when I was buying my car i think the mystic green metallic is very close in color to the polished metal. Of course I am color blind.
  • liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone know if Honda is offering the $2000 dealer incentive on the 07 Accord V6?
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Two colors are different.
    Edmunds has pulled out the 07 info but judging from some of the most recent posts on prices being paid for an 07 V6, I would say the dealer incentive is still on.
    Usually they do a final "buy down" discount at some point and tell the dealers "it is up to you to sell it". We may not know what that amount is, but it is likely at least as much as the last known incentive if not more.

Dennis
  • jeffmo2334jeffmo2334 Member Posts: 23
    It looks to me like the Accords are moving slow enough that dealers are finally willing to get close to invoice on '08s, or maybe even below invoice.

I went into one of my local dealerships (in Houston) to test drive a V6 EX-L Nav Accord. I told the salesman that I was looking to buy something late Spring/early Summer and right now just wanted to test drive the various vehicles I was considering.

He asked me why I wanted to wait, and I told him that I wanted my cash flow situation to get better before buying, and also wanted to take my time to decide what I really wanted. I told him once I decided what I wanted I'd be ready to act quickly.

I expected him to pester me the whole test drive to buy now, but surprisingly, he was respectful and did not push. He asked about our other vehicle, and I told him we had bought an Odyssey EX-L Res/Nav a year or so ago. He asked where we bought it, and I told him one of the other dealerships in Houston. He then asked what I had paid, and I told him we paid a few hundred over invoice. At that moment, he told me that whenever I was ready to buy, he would sell me an Accord at $200 over invoice.

At the end of the drive, he reiterated that, and also told me that he could do better "if he had to."

That surprised me, especially since of the over 100 Accords on the lot, there was only 1 that was V6 and with Nav. This gives me a good starting point to call around to the internet departments of other dealers once I am ready. ;) I am optimistic I can get invoice or better, or maybe pay $200 over invoice but get them to throw in the rear backup camera. :)

I'm actually torn between the Accord or a TL base model, considering the great deals and high inventory on the TL's right now, so I still have some thinking to do, but I thought it might be helpful to readers of this forum to hear about my experience.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    If you hve a trade in they will make up for that $200 over invoice on your trade... Do not go by so much under or over invoice... just look at the TOTAL OUT THE DOOR price.
  • jeffmo2334jeffmo2334 Member Posts: 23
    You are absolutely right! I won't have a trade in, and of course out the door price is the basis I will use when I actually am ready to purchase and get offers from multiple dealers.

It is possible that he made that offer knowing that they plan on adding 100's of $$ of fees on to the bottom line, and I will certainly check that when I am ready to move forward, but given what I know now, I can use the fact tjat I already have a "$200 over invoice" offer from a competitor when talking with other dealers.

My reason for posting was because I was surprised he started out that low -- it was not long ago that I have read that many dealers weren't budging from a few $100's below MSRP, much less coming down near invoice or below.
  • yshawnyshawn Member Posts: 2
    I am in Houston, too. The price is not that impressive because I got a price with EX-L V6 no nav at $100 under invoice plus ttl, total at around $26,000 drive out. I walked away because the price is too high comparing to 07' model, almost $3,000 defference for the same trim. I am going to buy an 07' accord Ex-l, even if I may get the same price when I had bought it last year. Any comments?
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    EX-L V6 no NAV can be had several hundred below invoice however with NAV it gets tricky.
  • getmeanewcargetmeanewcar Member Posts: 26
    I am going to buy that car tomorrow.. what do you think about the quote I've got?
  • cookiefactorycookiefactory Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a black 2004 4-cylinder Accord EX-L with around 41k miles, and is Honda Certified. I've checked the VIN on Carfax and it has a clean record, and was a lease vehicle. The price is $15,900 (before any fees) from the dealer. Is this considered a good deal? Thanks for any feedback.