Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zxbuizxbui Member Posts: 6
    Yes, your calculation is correct on OTD price (~21,470) but I believe you can do better than this.
    Good luck with your deal
  • sub80sub80 Member Posts: 1
    jebinc1,

I'm from the Seattle area as well and am looking for a coupe w/o navi. What dealer did you find that was doing $300 below invoice? Thanks!
  • denterpdenterp Member Posts: 2
    got a quote on accord ex-l out the door for 23,740.00. Also, does anyone know if Honda will do low interest financing for qualified customers. One dealer told me no, but I have seen some folks on here claim they got 2% and under on Accords. Thanks
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    Hopefully you got the $77 per year deal...
  • shm64shm64 Member Posts: 4
    We just bought a 2008 black ex-l coupe w/out nav in VA for 22,919 plus tax, tags, etc. Felt we got a good deal. No 2% financing available that we were offered but you can get an extra .25% knocked off if you fall in Honda's super credit guidelines. Hope this helps.
  • cliffclavencliffclaven Member Posts: 23
    This will be a long post... I have posted a few comments and questions over the past 5 month in hunting for a Basque Red '08 4dr V6 EXL w/Nav Accord and final got it on Friday. Not as simple as it should have been but...
    I traded email with a dealer in Tempe on the 15th of March, he could get me what I wanted for $28,113 (car and destination price) and he would give me window tint & Splash Guards for the stated price. I said great here is my CC for a $500 hold on Thursday the 20th. Once he had the car at his dealership, he told me that they had to pay $500 for getting the car to them (dealer trade) and asked if I could cover $200 of it. I thought I could do that as I was still getting the car at a good price of $28,313 (car and destination price). The agreement was that I could pick it up on Thursday the 27th. On the 27th I called them and they said that the car was not ready! Asked me to come to the dealership on Friday the 28th at 1:00 and it would be ready. Well I was flying back from a trip that put me in Phoenix for a 5 hour layover and planned to just ship the car to my home via my Father in-Law. Nope, that was not going to happen unless I skipped my flight, that was the start of a long 2 day process of buying a car!
    I thought it would be simple and quick since we had agreed to the price already. Well when I got there they told me I would have to pay a county and city tax, an additional 2.6% on the price. I told them that I was taking the Car to Idaho and only needed to pay 6% once I got to Idaho. They said I could not drive it off the lot without paying that additional tax, I said that I was having it shipped anyways, my Father in-law owns a trucking company in Phoenix. They were pissed off and started to drag their feet on everything from that point on! The car did not have the splash guards on so I told them to take $100 (list price) off the car, they did. Then I asked to see the window sticker to see where the car had been ship to originally, I got the “oh just a second…” then he came back and said that he was able to get the $200 transfer fee waived. I got that tip from a post here. So now the car is back to $28,013. Then I was off to see the “finance” guy. He told me they HAD to charge me $35 for a temp tag, I told him no, it was being shipped to Idaho and in Idaho I had 72 hours to buy a temp tag there (30 day is $12) with a Proof of Purchase of the car. He had to go check and see if they could sell me the car if I refused. Well he was able to get the fee waved, yet again! So now the car was down to $27,978. Then he went into his sales pitch about Honda Care and how he could offer me the 8 year 120K plan for just $2,199, normally it goes for $2,499. I told him I would pay him $995 for it :) , he told me that was below his cost and they was no way I could get it for that price. So I showed him the printout I hade from the (Saccucci dealership in NJ) with that price. He said they were not supposed to do that! I said do you want to match it or not? Nope, so I used their free internet after I purchased the car and ordered it right their on the dealership floor :P .
    All seemed well, but I went to look the car over and it was not all that clean and polished. It still had residue from the sticky paper they put on the cars to protect them. Back to the wash and 1 hour later, the “Customer Relations” director came up and told me how sorry he was for the entire process. He had been authorized to have the splash guards put on and asked me if there was anything else he could do. I asked if he could add an extra Key in for all the troubles. He said yes and was VERY nice about the whole thing. He was the best part of the entire buying experience.
    BTW the Car was delivered by a dealer about 20 miles from the dealer I bought it from :cry: no wonder they could “waive” the $500 transfer fee.
    I did have a full rear spoiler (over paid a little but.. $600) put on and we LOVE the car!!!!
    The dealers in Boise wanted $30,899 + $700 for the rear spoiler. They never once in 5 months were able to find the car I wanted (which is what I bought) or offered to order it. I think they knew I was very knowledgeable about the pricing and what I was willing to pay, they just did want my business. Thanks to all that post here! i hope mine helps someone get a great deal.
    Oh one other note.. The salesman called my home on Monday after I bought the car and suggested that if I was to submit 5’s across he would send me a Gas card???? Hummm, so that’s how dealers get good ratings. Not sure how ethical that is…
  • asitmehtaasitmehta Member Posts: 19
    Hello this sounds like a great deal, does your car have auto trans?. I live in new york and i cant find a 4cyl exl coupe with auto trans, for less than $24,000 plus tax and fees. each dealer i visit has 3-5 in stock but is not willing negotiate too much. I'm also paying by cash. Can you please give me some information on how you were able to get this deal. Also, does anyone think spending $2,000 more for the V6 is really worth it? I hear that there are a few problems with the VCM
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    Did that price quote include destination? Was it an OTD price?
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    I've seen recent postings of $19,195 (+ dest & TTL), and $20,334 (wasn't clear what was included in that price). What are the best prices people are paying for this car?

Does it make sense to consider the EX model (no leather or NAV) over the LX-P from a price delta standpoint?

BTW...I'm in the Raleigh, NC area.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    Well, for $1700 MSRP (and probably $1300-1400 street) you get the 190HP engine, 17" alloy wheels, the sunroof, power lumbar support, and a few other odds and ends. The car will also probably be easier to sell when it's time to move on. Seems worth it to me.

BTW, I'm in Roanoke Rapids so I'll probably be shopping in Raleigh amongst other places when the time comes to make a decision. I'll be interested to hear what deals can be had down there.
  • stevenq99stevenq99 Member Posts: 36
    Thats a good price around here. Who was the dealer? It is about $100 lower then any quote I have gotten.
  • asitmehtaasitmehta Member Posts: 19
    The best possible price for LX-P (auto trans) would be around $19,000 plus tax and fees. You would have to negotiate, and the EX 4cyl would be about $1,600 more. The LX-P gives you the 177hp engine, whereas the EX gives the 190. The EX just adds on the sunroof, and some small other gadets. $1,600 is a lot of money between both of the 4cyl engines there is not much of a difference. I personally think it is worth it to get the V6, because all of the V6 accords I have purchased, lasted longer than the V4. I currently own the new EXL V6, and I'm looking for a coupe. Good Luck!
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Asitmehta,

I4 not V4.

I4 = 4 cylinders are positioned straight up like 4 letters I.
    V6 = every 2 cylinders touch together at its end making an angle like letter V. Therefore, there are 3 letters V in a V6 Accord.

I have agreed with you the V6 Accord is silky smooth. I own a '08 V6 EX-L too. Love the power. You can drive straight non-stop 500+ miles and the V6 runs like nothing while the I4 shows some signs of fatigue and/ or overwork. Therefore, for long trips with hills you should drive V6. All my 4 Accord now are V6 EX or EX-L. Love them dearly.
  • pcjamespcjames Member Posts: 13
    Yes, our price (Houston, TX) for the LX-P auto sedan was $20,334(including destination).....the wife thought about getting the EX I4, but we could not find one that was made where we wanted it made (no offense anyone) and she was eager to buy. OTD price was $21,825 (6.25% tax, etc.).

We were quoted $21,801 (includes Destination) for EX-I4 but really didn't care about the sunroof and sport-tuned riding suspension with 17" wheels. Hated the EX fabric. No problem with getting a 177HP @ 6500 RPM vs. 190HP@ 7000 RPM, basically the same engine with a larger muffler and tweaked control module.....if you extrapolate 177HP out to 7000 RPM what do you get.......190HP!! Same engine.

It's all about what you like, but we thought the $20,344 was a good price, loving the car!!!!!
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    So you bought a LX or LX-P for $21,825?
  • jamminx1jamminx1 Member Posts: 4
    Wilde Honda just outside Milwaukee on Hwy 64? They come up on the Honda dealer search.
    We got a LX-P auto sedan for $21,825 OTD........$20,334 (including destination) before TTL. Sorry, I forget to dot my "i's"........
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Seems the Houston dealers are offering good prices, which dealership did you purchase from?
    Russell and Smith..........I have a great connection (NO, I'm not a salesman).......send me a message if you want more detail. Hopefully, I am not violating any rules, I really enjoy the site.
  • bran9192bran9192 Member Posts: 23
    I have been requesting quotes from numerous dealerships in the SC & NC area so far the best price I have is on EX L (2.4) 22,563.88 plus 399 doc fee. After reading on here I'm considering the V6 since there isn't that much of a difference in fuel consumption. Any recommended dealers or better quotes in these area's?
    Also, has anyone on here purchased a consumer report to get the break down on the Accord? I bought and used a consumer report with the purchase of my current car which is now for sale since the dealer wants me to give it to them....
  • honda124honda124 Member Posts: 4
    I got the following quotes from a Twin Cities Dealer.

Honda EX-L

$23462 (incl dest fee)

Honda EX-L V6
    $25550 (incl dest fee)

Is this a good deal for this area.

I test drove both EX-L and V6 but did not find much difference on backroads. Is there a huge difference on the highways. Which one would you recommend.

Thanks,
    Honda124
    the price of 22563.88 included the destination charge, looks to me you could do better.... what dealership gave you that quote?
  • dadogdadog Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased an Accord EX-L I4 Nighthawk Black with pin strips and splash guards for $23,600 out the door (tax not included). I really liked and considered the V6 but could not justify the extra $$$.
    It is the Richfield Bloomington Honda.
    I asked other Honda Dealers in Twin Cities and all are quoting higher than 23500 for EX-L.

I am not sure why the prices in Minneapolis/Twin Cities are $500-600 higher than compared to SC, NC, NJ and NYC.
    Hello Dadog,

Where did you buy your Honda from?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Also, has anyone on here purchased a consumer report to get the break down on the Accord?

I am a CR fan and long time subscriber, but all the info they want to charge you for is available free of charge on the web. You need to know invoice cost and hold back and dealer incentives (if any) - all this is available online for free.

Love CR, but their "car buying report" is a rip off.

Dennis
  • luv4accordluv4accord Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in purchasing the 08 EXL-with Navi (I4). I was wondering if I would come out better waiting for the summer Honda clearnce sale in July or use the costco program. I haven't started requesting quotes, wondering what are some good dearlership in the NC area to start with?
  • txcarbuyer2txcarbuyer2 Member Posts: 7
    Which model did you purchase from Russell and Smth, when, and what did you pay (price, and out-the-door price?) I am looking for a 2008 4-cylinder Accord EX-L coupe. I have emailed several dearler internet managers and their quotes are nowhere close to what some people on this board have been getting, especially the price paid by a poster in Atlanta. I have previously purchased an Accord from Goodson, which bested Russell and Smith by $800 but not this time. Am I just looking at the wrong time of year?
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    FOR THE RECORD I DO NOT WORK AT RB HONDA AND, THIS IS NOT AN OFFER TO SELL YOU A VEHICLE: I am a Honda dealer in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area. Here in the Twin Cities all six dealer co-op advertising (commercials, Strib, Pioneer Press, twincitieshondadealers.com ETC...). As a result, each invoice has an added $200.00 to reflect our co-op fee's. This is a legit charge that is added at the factory - not at dealership level. Here is how the pricing breaks down:
    26495.00 Honda MSRP
    24263.00 Co-op advertising adjusted invoice
    -727.00HOLD BLACK (only 485.00 is the HTB - the other 242.00 covers fixed costs)
    -400.00 Honda special advertising adjustment (4cyl Accords only - payable ONLY if you hit 110% of your volume Honda sets for your store)

-400 Special "super secret" Ad money
    -485.00 HTB
    =23378.00 adjusted invoice cost. DO NOT COUNT the other 242.00 of the holdback as it ment to cover interest occured while in-stock.

Now think of this: RB Honda pays a salesperson a $150.00 "mini" to sell a vehicle and $75.00 to clean it for delivery. Their adjusted cost is then $23603.00 - actually, not just their cost but all of our cost.

Hopefully, this sheds some light on the pricing. For the record - my store is one that is ABOVE $23500.00

Good luck in your price shopping. RB is a good store and the internet gal is super sweet. I used to work there up to 03/01 (read about me in rate your dealer :P )
    Mplshondadlr,
    Thanks for your input on pricing of Honda Accord. So far RB Honda has been offering the best prices in Twin Cities. I wonder why other Twin Cities dealer are not able to match or better the prices.
  • holewholew Member Posts: 71
    I do not know of any dealers in NC or SC since I live in MD and FL. But I can tell you that I bought my 2008 EX-L V6 in Dec 07 and paid dealer invoice plus $100 processing fee.

I had used the INTERNET for locate the best price.

Then in Feb I received an E-Mail from that dealer (I guess all their E-Mail inquiries were on their data base) that they were taking $500 off of all previous INTERNET prices if you bought a car from what they had in stock. So it is my thinking that car sales are worse now then they were a few months ago because of the price of gasoline. So you should be looking for a price at about $1500 below dealer invoice.

For sure don't pay over dealer invoice.
  • dadogdadog Member Posts: 3
    Joplin Missouri
    We got a LX-P auto sedan for $21,825 OTD........$20,334 (including destination) before TTL. Purchased on 04/18. We got a sedan....the coupes might be a different story.
  • jdunnisherjdunnisher Member Posts: 56
    mplshondadlr,

Do you know if AHFC will be running any incentives or providing better lease rates during the month of May? I'm not sure if you have this sort of information (or are able to divulge it), but I've been shopping Accord Coupes and have been waiting for their lease rates to improve. Currently, they don't seem to be that aggressive in comparison with some of their competitors' rates.

Thanks,

Jordan
  • twotonetommytwotonetommy Member Posts: 35
    As usual mplshondadlr, you are very helpful. As someone asked earlier and based on a previous comment you made, July seems to be the month to buy. Based on your prior experience, what normally happens? Does Honda mark the cars down significantly to make way for the 2009's? If so, how much more should we expect.

Thank you
    Twotone
  • steelblue314steelblue314 Member Posts: 25
    I've been looking to rid myself of my 2007 Dodge Nitro, I want something with power, but saves on GAS! The prices here are hovering around $3.99 a gal in some parts for 87! I asked them about the EX-L V6, (which they quoted an MSRP of $28,060.00, and their price (I'm guessing before taxes and fee's) $26,415.97 ( and MSRP of $25,860.00 and their price of $24,177.98 for the EX-L 4-CYL AUTO. So I sent off a request to a dealership and it went like this:

Me: I'm looking to get at 2% below invoice and i want dealer hold back which I know for a fact is at $2500.00!

Reply: Hi Will -
    Anything below invoice is an extremely tall order on Accords, especially high-end ones like the one you are requesting. I know it's not possible on the V6 models, but we may be able to come to a deal on the 4-cyls.

As far as the hold backs are concerned, they are about 2%-3% of the MSRP of the vehicles. So I'm not sure where you are getting your facts, because $2500 is nowhere close to what the hold back actually is. On top of that, hold backs are designed to keep dealerships afloat specifically because of customer who want to buy cars at or below invoice. Customers are not entitled to holdback money.

So, I come here and want to know what some of you shrewd negotiators think of this. BTW, the dealership is Potamkin Honda in NYC.
    Thanks in advance!
    Honda will not tip their hat as to upcomming incentives until 7am on 05/01. My guess (and thats all it is) is that Honda will have a record April by at least 10%. When fuel prices get high, Honda eases up on the incentives for fuel efficient vehicles.

I'll bet ten to one there will be no incentives on the Accords for rates until July.
    I'm looking to get at 2% below invoice and i want dealer hold back which I know for a fact is at $2500.00!

Wow - I almost fell for the gag and thought you were serious!
    To be realistic, I doubt Honda will offer anything more then $500.00 in dealer cash. Honda is a conservative company and right now they have an advantage that even in rough economic times and high fuel prices they are INCREASING sales every month!
  • rolynnlrolynnl Member Posts: 1
    I have been lurking on this board for 3 months and am finally ready to buy. I followed the advise on this board and sent out my requirements to 10 dealer in the area. I only got serious responses from 5. And it turns out that there are only two cars in my color in the 5 state area and they are still on the truck until early next week.

The best internet price was $25,976 including dest. This is $300 below invoice.

The rest of the deal is: $25,976, taxes $1,688, doc fee $50, Gov fees $407

Total OTD is $28,121

Then I started negotiating via email and phone between the two dealerships and the latest OTD price is $27,950. I plan to pull the trigger tomorrow. I will post here the final deal.

:D
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Thanks for the information, you got a great deal and will check to see if the local dealers will match. By chance did you happen to notice what the price difference was on the LX and LX P models?
  • jdunnisherjdunnisher Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for the info. To echo what twotone said, it's great to have your insight in this forum.

So, I guess there's no sense in waiting if AHFC doesn't have any reason to bolster their lease incentives. I've been watching the Accord sales numbers that Honda releases, and they seem to be trending up. They were down for the month of February (compared to Feb 2007), and up just slightly in March. You're probably right on the money with your projections for April, given the skyrocketing gas prices and push toward more fuel-efficient vehicles.

July may be a little longer than I want to wait, especially if the incentives aren't likely to be that great.

BTW, I'd like the opportunity to negotiate into that $2,500 holdback with my local dealers. :P
  • mffnikemffnike Member Posts: 2
    OTD 27.5k. How'd I do?
    No.....I did not get the LX quote as the wife wanted the LX-P. However, I can tell you that a week before I was quoted $20,820 for the same car that we purchased for $20,334. When we got to the back room, the manager said that the prices had "gone down".....couldn't believe it! The drop seems to be consistent with the "secret $400 rebate" for 4 cyl. that everyone has been mentioning.

Looking at the math, with $20,820 being exactly $100 above invoice for the LX-P before the price drop, I would guess that a LX sedan would be $19,912-$486= $19,426. Don't know for sure.

Just come on down from San Antonio and get yourself a great deal (once again, I'm NOT a dealer).....just have a great connection through my job.

And I got 4.65% financing ($3500 downpayment) through American Honda Financing for 60 months as well.....better than my credit union. The finance guy offered me 4.9% for 60 months then said he could go lower if a put some money down. I think he was shocked when I actually wrote the check.........really didn't expect me to take him up on the offer.
    Hey Dwynne,

I also am a huge CR fan & a subscriber. However the reports are not free even with a subscription they are $14 per report.
  • tamoshantertamoshanter Member Posts: 33
    if that's with an automatic, that's good.... you don't say what your sales tax % is and processing fees are; in VA, i went OTD for $27,685 with a coupe EX-L 5AT, I4, with NAVI that was with a 3.5% sales tax, destination, dealer processing($299), title/license registration and the salesman threw in the appearance package (mud guards, pinstriping).
  • tamoshantertamoshanter Member Posts: 33
    you can get the 3 month subscription for $39 online; that gives you unlimited access to expert reports, comparisons and prices. i find it VERY helpful in narrowing down what i'm looking for in terms of reliabiltiy, costs, performance, etc. you can access it anytime 24/7 and you can look up unlimited models of cars with all the info..
    i've done it so far the last several years when buying all my cars and it was very helpful. this site (edmonds.com) is also helpful, just comparing prices, especially the TMV. both sites, though, aren't as up to date with the dealer kickbacks, etc.
    I tried getting this report from CR yesterday with my subscription. I can access all information on all vehicles but the bottom line pricing. I too have used it in the past for car purchases. So what's the trick to viewing the bottom line report without paying the $14 if you are a subscriber? The CR base MSRP on a 2.4 EX L sedan is $25060 & Invoice is $22830 thats roughly $1000 than Edmunds or the dealers are advertising.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    However the reports are not free even with a subscription they are $14 per report.

I never said they were free - in fact I said that they are a rip-off. They charge $14 for info you can get on the web with a few minutes worth of searching.

Dennis