Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tommystonestommystones Member Posts: 19
    MSRP - $28,060 INVOICE - $25,416

Just got a quote from a local dealer.

$26,369 Not Inc Tax/Any Fees
    + 1,582 Sales Tax (6% in MI)
    + ?Approx $1,000 in Fees? (Tags, Reg, Dest etc.)
    + 2.9% apr

Any suggestions/thoughts on this Quote? Also is there any way Honda will be willing be give a tier1/Great credit customer .9% apr for 60 months. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks In Advance!
  • r0yaltyr0yalty Member Posts: 13
    .9% currently is up to 36 mos. anything over 36 mos is 2.9% with honda finance. it's on honda.com and all the details are there.
    Sure,

I could have gotten another new car with less miles. but in essence, 79 miles isn't really much (at least to me). I mean when you go to sell your car years from now, do you think 79 miles will matter to the next buyer? it's thousands of miles that will make or break reselling in the future,not 79. I bought a honda prelude back in 2000 with 3 miles on it. I am glad i did. but even at 79 miles with my new accord, by going to this particular dealership, i saved $300-400 than the next lowest price quote. (i'd rather save that much money instead of paying it to get a car with 50 less miles on it). They had only one of the polished metal metallic in stock of the model i wanted and no nighthawk black available. So I took it. It's the first time I bought a new car and felt confident that i got the lowest price possible in the area.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " It's the first time I bought a new car"

So, the 2000 Prelude you bought with 3 miles on it was a USED car?
  • jncarsjncars Member Posts: 13
    I've never had a problem with steel wheels rusting. To get an idea of how they'll look in ten or so years, just take the wheel covers off your mid 90's car and look at them.
    I meant the "first time i bought a new car and felt i got a good deal". I got ripped on the prelude back in the day, because I was intimidated by the sales mgr. I paid over invoice and got raped on interest because i didn't know any better. Btw that was 8 years ago when i was still establishing credit.
  • nkvnkv Member Posts: 24
    You indeed got a fabulous deal! I paid 26500 last October for an identical car with black interior here in Fl. You saved almost 1500 compared to mine! Enjoy!!
    Oh, I knew what you meant. Just funnin ya.

BTW paying over invoice for a car isn't getting "ripped".
  • priceritepricerite Member Posts: 10
    I cannot comment on Michigan market, but In NJ I just paid 27466 OTD price for Accord EXL V6. I probably could have done a bit better, but didn't feel that pushing sales manager will be fair. The dealer threw in wheel locks and installed splash guards as part of the deal.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Best price. Thanks to Recession.
  • missymmissym Member Posts: 10
    Im not having much luck w/ dealerships this weekend. Im going to send out some emails to see if any other dealers will give me a better price. This was the price that was brought to the table and they wouldnt budge..I ended up walking away and told them to call me with better numbers in the am.

I live in AZ

Honda Accord 4d EX-L V6
    Invoice: $26,306.13 (including $635 destination)
    Tinted windows/Splash/Wheel lock: $497 +
    = $27,055 (price they wanted to sell car)

Tax: $2110.29 7.8% (Az)
    Doc fee: $347
    Lic: $494.16
    Other junk fee: $199 (which I told them to take off)

OTD: Over 30k :mad: and I was not going to go over 29k (my goal was a 28k OTD price) but even with 29k the sales rep said no way could he come down that much. I ended up leaving and he said he would call me in the am if he had better numbers.
    Ill see what other dealerships have to offer, since now I know that Im qualified w/ their lender and I know the exact model/color etc I want.

If anyone else has gotten a good deal in AZ..pls let me know.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I had the same dilemma when I purchased my accord. I ended up buying a LX automatic. Didn't really the alloys. I'd rather put my own rims on the car. I have had the accord for 2 months and its been the best 2 month car experience ever. In doing my research, I would recommend not paying more then approximately $700 for a LX-P. Only extras with a LX-P are alloys and drivers power seat. My LX has a engine immoblizer. Personal preference, I would either get a LX automatic or EX automatic. Regardless, the accord is a excellent investment.
  • stevefromozstevefromoz Member Posts: 7
    thanks frankcario - I live *really* close to honda cars of katy (where some have experienced good service based on comments here) but am not adverse to going to conroe if i have to.

Is there a salesperson you can recommend i speak to? I can send thru a test msg to your email (saw online prev) so you don't break the rules and post the name on here :)
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    At that price you can can get a 3 series BMW for a few thousand more.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Isellhondas, ladies & gentelmen,

Even suffering severely from recession, inflation and Iraq/ Afghan war effects Honda is still hanging pretty good on cars market compared to other manufacturers. Honda has reduced the financing rates a bit on old and less marketable model (e.g Honda Element, etc.). As an owner of an '08 Accord EX-L V6 w/ navi since Xmas 07 and other 10+ Honda cars and motor bikes I can tell the sale price of this model with navi has not reduced very much compared to same trim Camry/ Nissan. This model does not have VCM issue as some unfair competitive guys and other car dealers have played aloud their trumpets trying to kill this super fine model.

To those liars, no way you guys can kill this model. If I buy another Honda Accord right now I will buy the '08 Accord V6 EX-L again immediately. At 268 HP and 242 lbs ft torque, its average mixed MPG of 25 - 28 is equal to my old '95 Accord I4. I have not driven my new V6 EX-L much on freeway, but I expect on long freeway trips this model is a great champ in term of its great power yet it achieves very good MPG. What are customers asking for more? Bravo and long live Honda smartest engineers/ management ! I love every single button in my new V6 EX-L. Each single button carries a piece of thought on it.

Those liars cannot build a tiny simple button in this very fine Accord V6 EX-L yet they have talked BS about his model for year. Some liars even do not own or drive this model much. I am suspecting one of the most liars is another European import car manufacturers. Customers are not most stupid and unethical like those liars. Am I reasonable, Isellhondas?
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Relax it's only a car, I have the 08 Accord LX-P and I love it , my daughter had the 05 Accord Coupe she loved it, however when the lease ran out on the 08 Accord Coupe it was way to expensive so she leased the 08 4 door 320 i BMW. It's all about what you pay for at the time.
    " Am I reasonable"

I wouldn't call anyone a "liar". I sure didn't and I think that is a pretty strong word. I don't doubt that some people are experiencing "something". All I ever said was that I hadn't experienced this myself nor had I heard of this from anyone else.

If I were to drive their car, would I feel anything? I honestly don't know.

I still can't understand why anyone, especially with these gas prices would bother with a V-6. The 190 HP 4cyl or even the 177 HP one is, in my opinion more than adequate.

But, that's me...to each his own.

And, to answer your question, no, I don't think your post was reasnoble. Calling someone a liar is uncalled for.
    missym,

If you are planning to finance the 0.9%@36month and 2.9%@60month is good through 7/7/2008, so you have plenty of time to shop around. I guess AZ is not NJ; the distance to dealerships could be substantial and so less competition. But the numbers you've listed look ridiculous.
    Send requests for quotes to at least 15-20 dealers in 100-200 mi radius .If you live on the border with another state tap in their market as well. My second best price came from Pennsylvania. Plan on spending about 2 weeks if you want the best price. Remember, the internet price you get in the quote is negotiable. Once you have internet price negotiate it over the phone. Use negotiated price to knock the price further. Always work with OTD price and be confident.
    BTW Accord EXL V6 is well worth fighting for.
    $27,500 OTD? Wow ... Not Bad!

You probaly got the car for $25,000 ($500 Below Invoice) plus about $1,500 in Tax & about $1,000 in Fees inc. Destination fee etc.

Thats probally the best price for a EX-L V6 I've read about on this forum. Did I estimate everything about right?

Kudos.
    Missym,

Over 30k OTD is a bit high .... keep shopping around. Internet pricing has been very helpful to me, I recommend you shop around via E-mail also. Good luck!

Update -

Just got another quote - EX-L V6 - $26,187.99 sale price before tax and fees. MI market by the way.
  • frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    stevefromoz

If you have already sent the email I did not receive it. I am glad to share the contact info with you.
  • frankcariofrankcario Member Posts: 41
    Isell,

I have to agree with you on the I4 vs V6. We just took delivery of an Accord LX with the 177 HP engine...it is very responsive.
    Invoice is 26300 ( including destination).
    My selling price was 25050 ( including destination, messenger fees , windows etching, wheel locks and splash guards). That's more then 1400 under invoice.
    Add 299 doc fees for the total cash price of ~25350.

Other fees and taxes:

~1753 NJ Tax (7%)
    7.50 NJ Tire Fee (mandatory)
    354 Registration fees

OTD price is ~27466 ( big difference with 27500 OTD :-) ).
    BTW I financed the whole amount @ 2.9% @ 60month.
  • missymmissym Member Posts: 10
    tommystones - is that with a leather interior?? If it is, nice job!!

Thanks guys for your advice,
    Im hoping to get a 28k OTD price. I just got another quote from a local dealership:

Honda Accord V6 EX-L (Arizona)
    $26,200 price includes the mud guards, trunk tray and wheel locks.
    $2082.90 tax
    $389.90 documentation fee
    $490 plates
    $29,162.80 out the door price
    Correct , Accord 08 EX-L V6 (leather). The car had 4 miles on it.

Make sales person call you. Name your price of 28k OTD. Let them know your intention to buy immedeately and you have offer from another dealer that you are not completely satisfied with. Make sure sales person talks to manager. Make sure that manager talks to general manager. Only then you know that you've hit the bottom line with that dealership. When dealership agrees on your price make them send you email with breakdown of numbers.
  • jacknibbsjacknibbs Member Posts: 17
    Which dealership was that? I am in NJ and trying to finalize a deal today. My best price is 25015 before destination.
    I can name the dealer only in private communication
  • newgsnewgs Member Posts: 29
    Pricerite,

As far as I know in this forum, you can name the dealer but not the salesman's name.
    Below is what Edmunds' Forum says when you post a message (copied and pasted):

"You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information."
    Wow. Such strong words there...
    Thanks newgs. I wasn't sure if I can post dealer name.

Dealer in NJ is Route 22 Honda. Excellent service, no pressure ( at least from sales manager I worked with) and they've honored the price I wanted.

Also I'd like to mention Ray Price Honda in East Stroudsburg, PA. They were great!
  • levtomlevtom Member Posts: 12
    Been reading here often and now ready to buy soon North of Boston.
    Quotes so far

Boch Honda 50miles away $20,488 based on Boston Globe add 5-25 +$298 doc fee = tax(5%) + $56 plate trans. Confirmed by phone.

Kelly Honda 3 miles away will work a few hundred below $22256 invoice +$249 doc fee, Same $ for tax and plate trans. Want very much to beat Boch offer and keep a local customer. Not a firm offer yet without appraising my 96 accord 5MT.(77K). Expect to pay about $17K + all above taxes and fees. However do not have blue car. Do have Black on Black, choice 2.

Honda North 10 miles away have the blue color but internet quote $22256 at invoice.

Know that some members have bought well from Boch Honda (who claims to be "biggest Honda volume dealer on the planet".
    Love to hear about Boch sales experiences and thoughts on my current quotes.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I am betting your Boch price does not include the $635 destination charge, which they will "remember" to add to the price when you show up to buy the car.

Even if that is the case, invoice is $22,355 so if they charge you $20,488 + $635 + $249 you are still at $21,372 or nearly a full $1k under invoice. I think I would have already driven to Boch and picked up the car, if I were you..... What are you waiting for?

Dennis
  • cuoinoncuoinon Member Posts: 18
    Can you please email the name of the dealer deal?
    cuoinon777@yahoo.com
  • levtomlevtom Member Posts: 12
    Just confirmed by phone that the Boch price of $20,488 DOES include $635 destination charge.
    However, they do not offer the 0.9% or 2.9% on their advertised specials. Not a big issue for me.

Got another quote from Herb Chambers, Burlington.Ma. at $21,678 + $259 Doc +taxes and plate trans.

Looks like I'll be heading to Boch to morrow when this special ends.

PS Blue Pearl and Red color are almost impossible to find. Any issues with Black exterior being difficult to keep new looking?
  • cobbertommiecobbertommie Member Posts: 4
    Need some opinions as this is my first "new" new car purchase (have always bought 1-2 year old pre-owned vehicles).

Minneapolis/St. Paul dealership - test drove both EX and EX-V6 - felt the 4 cylinder was peppy enough given the extra 2-4 mpg's extra you get with a 4 cylinder in mixed driving.

Honda e-price = $21956.00
    +$1427.14 MN sales tax (6.5%)
    +$351.00 MN plates and tranfer fee's
    +$50.00 dealer documentation fee
    =$23784.14 TOTAL DUE

...and of course the 2.9% A.P.R. for 60 months.

Any suggestions on where to push back?
  • lhousesoccerlhousesoccer Member Posts: 2
    Our local Honda dealership in Rutland, Vermont (Shearer Honda) has a "no haggle" policy. They claim they offer the lowest price period so there's no need to haggle.

My wife and I are looking at a Honda Accord EX-L, 4 cylinder, with navigation, 18" chrome wheels and they're telling us $30,647. This includes delivery but not tax, plates etc.

We haven't looked elsewhere yet, but do people think we could do better, say in Mass, NJ or CT ? I'm not afraid to travel to save a couple thousand. Thanks !
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    You should be able to do a lot better than that! The I4 EXL with Navi is going about $26,000 +/-, add to that about $3000 (over-priced) for the 18" chrome wheels and you are at $29,000, including destination. Have you tried emailing the area internet managers yet?
  • furrycutefurrycute Member Posts: 33
    After much back and forth between the LX and LX-P, I finally made the plunge and purchased an LX-P.

Paid just a little over $21,000, including destination, for an LX-P. Plus the tax and DMV fees, and no other funny fees. :P

Thanks guys for all the help you gave me on this board! I couldn't have done it without you guys! :)
  • bfryerbfryer Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of my new Accord LX 4cyl automatic for 20324.00 drive out. Middle Ga. dealer. included 499.00 dealer fee and 7% sales tax and $18. title fee and $3 lemon law charge , also financed it with $3000. down for 60 months at 2.9%.
    Deal or no Deal????
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Good deal!
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
    this price is a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    pricerite - "My selling price was 25050 ( including destination, messenger fees , windows etching, wheel locks and splash guards). That's more then 1400 under invoice. "

Unreal. Thats almost $1100 cheaper than any sale price I've been quoted! Kudos once again ... Good Job.

Did you have to do alot of shopping around/bargaining? Did Honda take a lose here? Hmmm?
    I spent about 2 weeks. Some dealers called me insane, some didn't reply at all, some used their famous : " I don't know what business you are in, but in your business is it Ok to lose the money?" question...

At the signing, finance guy showed me the numbers on his monitor. According to that they've lost over $800. We had some good laughs over that.
    Overall, I think it worth to spend some time , so the next 5 years you know that you've done well.
  • mseenviromseenviro Member Posts: 64
    I've been watching this board for quite some time and as I began to see pricing for the 4 Cyl EX-L's drop below $24,000 I thought it was time to act.

I sent emails to about 20 dealers in a 200 mile radius. That in itself was an interesting process, as the majority of the dealers did not reply to my request. What I told them in the email was that I was seeking a 2008 Accord Sedan, EX-L, 4 Cyl, AT, no Nav and that I would be purchasing in the next three days.

Of the 20 requests, I received 6 replies with the information I was seeking (quote). I did have two phone calls, including one that said she had already emailed the quote, which never arrived. I left her a message asking her to send it again or call me back and she did neither.

I ended up back at the dealer 15 miles from home where I had purchased my 2006 Pilot, Phil Bachman Honda in Kingsport, TN. The Internet Manager there made the process extremely easy. We were able to purchase the 2008 EX-L for $23,988, which I thought was a pretty good price based on what I am seeing and especially getting it from a dealer who has provided me with outstanding service on my Pilot.

If anyone is within several hours drive of Kingsport, TN I would urge you to contact the internet manager at Phil Bachman Honda, as he is the most professional, low key Internet sales rep I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

The Accord is AWESOME. Silver with Black interior, it is a beauty and drives like a dream. When I drove it home my 21 year old son said "dang, I thought you got a BMW 5 series!"

I told him, no, for the price of the BMW, you could get two and a half Accords."

I am very pleased with my purchase and I would like to thank all the folks on this board who posted their pricing that allowed me to get a very good deal on the Accord. :shades:
  • christinam1christinam1 Member Posts: 18
    It was interesting to see that you didn't get very good response to your E-Mails to the internet managers. I'm having the same problem. So far, I've gotten the automated response that they received my request but nothing else. I'm hoping it is because of the holiday week-end. If I don't hear from them today, I'll really be concerned. I'm happy things worked out for you; enjoy your new car!
    Thanks much for the info pricerite.

Update -

The sale price for a EX-L - V6 is 26,187.99 and the OTD price is 27,663.54. This is the FIRST quote I recieved from this specific dealer. How low you think I can go with this? Hmmm?
  • twotonetommytwotonetommy Member Posts: 35
    mseenviro
    The price - is that the OTD price including taxes. Like you, I have been watching this board closely for the same model and in April, some people were getting it for under $23,000 plus taxes.
    The lowest I've seen is $23,500 from some Atlanta dealerships. For the extra $500 it was worth it to me to get it local. I probably could have squeezed a little more blood out of the turnip, but they made it so easy for me that I went with it. I have bought other cars from this dealer and I like how they treat me. First three oil changes for free sweetened the deal.

The price included the car and the $595 delivery, but did not include tax and a $299 doc fee.
    It is interesting that there was a general lack of responsiveness from dealers. I tried to demonstrate that I was more than a tire kicker, knowing the exact model I was looking for, telling them that I was already approved through Honda finance, and that I would be purchasing within the next seven days.

Amazing the lack of responsiveness from most dealers. Several called but all they wanted was to get me in the door. The internet manager was on vacation at one local dealer, so we just walked up. They gave us the old war horse sales guy who really knew his stuff about the car. During the test ride he said "I've been selling cars for 25 years."

To make lite of it I said "well I've been buying them for 20". His response "well, I've sold a bunch more than you've bought"

Later during the negotations, he told me "I have to make money on this sale" and when I told him I had done my homework and knew what the pricing was he said "well, that information online may help you, but all it does is hurt me". He then pulled out the four square sales form. I laughed out loud and said "you can't be serious?" Needless to say we didn't buy from him.

I'm a global sales manager of a consulting firm. We receive several inquiries every day from companies seeking information or costs of our services. I have a full time employee who's primary job is to jump all over these requests and respond promptly and to provide the customer EXACTLY what they ask for, if it's information, then give them information, if it's a quote, then give them a quote. While our method isn't perfect, we close about 40% of these types of inquiries since we went to this system, up from 10% prior to doing it this way. I think car dealers would be well advised to do this. The ones that are doing this or move to the ability to also handle sales this way will do better than the ones stuck in the old back and forth, four square negotating tactics from 1978.