Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    You can get the EXL for about $500 more in the Bay Area so your deal strikes me as not very good. Call Anderson or Redwood City (Menlo).
  • halecphalecp Member Posts: 14
    Once you make your purchase, will you post your experience and price paid. I'm in the market for an Accord EX 4 cyl coupe here in ohio as well except i am looking for cloth interior. It would be interesting to know what price you walk out the door with. At least it would give me an idea of what the EX-Ls are going for. Keep us posted. Thanks!
  • williwawwilliwaw Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I'm a first time car buyer (and first time forum reader-- its great!) and I started contacting dealers about an LX-P a few days back. I've emailed about 15 dealers they responded with initial offers which ranged from 20,100 to 20,900 + tax/tags (which i guess is about 22,000 to 23,000 OTD). These were dealers in the Chicago, MSP, and SF Bay Area.

This seems about $2k above the best deals listed on this forum.

Given how many people have been suggesting going through fleet managers, I was hoping to email fleet managers directly but, with a few exceptions, I havent been able to track down their contact information. Many dealer websites either dont list any fleet salespeople or dont differentiate between them and the internet sales.

I called a few dealers, and they effectively referred me to the internet sales desk.
    Do you guys know of the best strategy through which to contact fleet sales?

Do most Honda dealers have fleet mgrs or is it just the larger ones? And is there any consolidated location which lists their contact information? It doesn't seem like many people talk about fleet sales on this forum so maybe they dont figure that prominently in Accord sales...?

I guess im just romanticizing them : )

Any advice would be great, thanks!
    Rob
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Honda is known for its low sales to fleets. This helps your resale value in the long run.

Are you buying more than one Accord? If not, I don't see any reason why a dealer would opt to sell to you through their fleet salesman at a fleet price. You have a good theory, but the reasoning is lacking. :)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    So, as the "Fleet Manager" for our store, the first question I'll ask is..." so, how many cars will you be needing for your fleet" ;)
  • hondahenryhondahenry Member Posts: 35
    parviz, is that EX V6? could you share the price you got? i've been looking for one. thanks.
  • bacchuswngbacchuswng Member Posts: 9
    Hey frankcario,

Could you share the name of the dealer that has the Accord coupes at invoice?

Thanks!
  • bud34bud34 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me when the 2009s are due out?
    Look for the 2009 Accord in September.
  • duke23duke23 Member Posts: 488
    "So, as the "Fleet Manager" for our store, the first question I'll ask is..." so, how many cars will you be needing for your fleet"

Thanks , isell, still laughing.
  • sangdsangd Member Posts: 4
    I call Anderson today, here is what they quote me:
    EX auto, 4cycle, Sedan= 22,588 + Tax
    EX-L, Auto, 4cycle, Sedan = 24,388+ Tax
  • williwawwilliwaw Member Posts: 3
    Well, my fleet will be modest, just one car...

My assumption was that the incentives of the fleet salespeople are tied to the number of units sold as opposed to the profit margins. So this would lend itself
    to the possibility of good deals w/ little fuss.

So in my internet reading its come up a number of times as one of the better ways to secure a good price w/o much hassle. im not sure however if fleet sales apply to hondas? No one here mentions it.

Anyway, I guess I may call a few dealers and see what happens...

http://beatthecarsalesman.com/secret-fleet.html

Here's one of the few honda dealers that seem to explicitly discuss fleet sales on their website:

http://www.eaglehonda.com/Department-Fleet.aspx

Am I way off on this?
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    I had originally posted this question concerning a purchasing strategy in the "Smart Shoppers" forum several days ago but have received no responses: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef5a71c/3438

In a nutshell, I am considering the Accord along with the other usual suspects (Malibu, Camry Hybrid, Altima...). One Honda Internet salesperson, noting my interest in other makes, offered to help me with the purchase of any make in the mega-dealer's many lines. He offered the opportunity to actually A/B cars of interest and, once I made my decision, to help me with the purchase.

While researching, I inadvertently contacted a Toyota Internet rep of the same mega-dealer chain. When I realized what I had done, I informed the T rep that I was already working with the Honda rep and how he had offered to help me with the purchase of any of the mega-dealer lines. The Toyota rep said that's fine, but that he would be able to give me a better deal on a Toyota than the Honda rep should I decide to go that route.

My question: Is it to my benefit to shop the different dealers separately and at "arms length" or, for the sake of convenience, work through the single Internet rep?
    Most dealers don't START at below invoice. You might actually have to negotiate a little bit. With a little bit of work the $23k deal is available in NorCal just like SoCalHonda got in LA... it's just not quite as readily available up here right now.

I lined up a deal for $23k at a Bay Area dealer but it was lined up through a friend so I am not sure it's open to public so I won't say the dealership. The wife didn't want to drive 2 hours each way (use gas, drive home separately, yada, yada, yada) to save $700 so we paid $23,700 at Auburn Honda, east of Sacramento, yesterday. Some battles.... Auburn Honda was a great experience.

This is a 2008, EXL, 4 cyl, 4 door,
    $23,700
    $55 doc
    $1725 tax
    $220 fees
    total is just under $25,700.

I put $3k on the credit card to get the miles and the rest on Honda for 36 months at .09%. I couldn't resist that interest rate.

Not the best deal in the world but it was easy and I have to say that the internet sales people at Auburn Honda were super easy to work with and very nice. I have bought a lot (way too many) new cars in my life and this was the easiest. In particular, I usually find that the finance office is a painful hour declining warranties, alarms, etc.... There was absolutely no hard selling by the finance person. Just friendly and professional. I am very pleased with my experience and so far am enjoying the car.
  • nitlsunitlsu Member Posts: 7
    I have a dealer quote for,

$ 23,428 + destination ($ 670) + TTL

I am wondering if this is a good deal? Also can anyone give me a estimate on the TTL part?
    Thanks
  • cb007cb007 Member Posts: 3
    I have recieved an internet offer of $28,203 + ttf etc for an 2008 Accord 4dr EX-L V6 w/NAVI . Am I good?.......
    For a $30,895 car, $28,203 sounds ok; not fantastic, but if you like the dealer, feel comfortable about the deal, and need the car ASAP, I'd go for it. Maybe ask for $27,700 and see if you can't get $28,000 even, assuming this price includes destination of course.

Invoice with destination is $28,074

True Market Value Pricing for Honda Accord EX-L V6 NAVI

Click the link and plug in your own zip code if you like, to get the TMV.
  • gismapgismap Member Posts: 12
    I have a quote in the St. Louis area within $30 of that, so maybe that's the going rate. In regard to TTL, it all depends on where you live and the tax rate there. The Department of Motor Vehicles will give you the rate for your location along with licensing fees.
  • smckdwn989smckdwn989 Member Posts: 12
    so my goal to pin dealer vs dealer isn't going exactly as planned but I have sent out emails to a good 7 or 8 dealers requesting their quotes and all applicable charges on top of price. to make a long story short:

MSRP: 28,945

best offer so far: 26,500 not including tax, dmv fees, and 179 for conveyance fee

is this a good deal or should I hold out for a better one. dealer has the exact car I want, black exterior with black leather too, which is very tempting.

does the saying still hold true that you should never except the first offer? or is this really the best I will end up doing?

thanks all.
    Coupes are much harder to come by in the configuration you want than the sedans are, therefore finding one just like you like it would be worth more (it can't always be easily done).

Considering they came down on the price by nearly $2,500 (another quote I saw here recently was someone getting $800 off of sticker, for a coupe), I'd go ahead and take it. Others may disagree.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    "Good deal"? Relative I guess. I paid $25,950 for EXL Sedan in Albany, NY ( had similar deal in NJ) w/o Navi, including destination, plus tax, tags and license. Since invoice is about $200 more for the coupe w/o navi versus the sedan, I would say you still have some room to get them down, but the coupes are hot. How much is it worth to you - they have the car and the color combination you want.
    thank you for such a quick reply.

i'm wondering if I really need the v6, it's definitely a want and not a need. This is my first "new car" purchase so i want to get exactly what I want. Only 23 years old, my choice really has been between an accord and an altima, both equipped and priced comparatively (expensive for a 23 year old but hey, they retain their value well).

It's really hard pinning the dealers against each other, but I continue to throw them hints, it's funny to see how they deal it it and or ignore it :).
    I am 20, and have a 4-cyl Accord Sedan (2006 model, 166hp).

The new 4-cylinder Accords have PLENTY of power, especially if you rarely drive with a load of people (and even then I've never been left without enough power).

Have you even driven the 4-cylinder model? I'd suggest it. The difference in price is considerable for a young person.
    i think with me, it's one of those... just got my first high paying job out of college deals. i want a really sporty looking car that rides good, and the look of the dual exhaust is a factor that shouldn't come into play, but it does.

i didn't like the altima's ride, and based on all my research the accord is hands down the better performer
    ...from one of the dealers I've contacted: Hubert Vester Honda in Wilson:

Honda Accord Sedan LX-P
    Stock #2492
    Automatic Transmission
    MSRP $22,795
    With this offer, Your Price is $19,784 and take 0.9%
    (This one is bold beige metallic)

Honda Accord Sedan EX
    Stock #2510
    Automatic Transmission
    MSRP $24,495
    With this offer, Your Price is $20,998 and take 0.9%
    (I looked this one up - it's Polished Metal)

*All prices are plus tax, tags, freight, processing and $199 for wheel locks / mud guards; includes all incentives.

I've asked for sales pricing on the EX-L and EX-L V6 - we'll see what they say.
    Wow, another miserable marketplace.

That price was too good for me to believe until I read that it disn't include freight which is 670.00. Depending on what their "processing" fee is, that is still an excellent deal.

A lot of people focus on the price and then they get hit with destination charges and high doc fees whan they get there.

As much as I don't like this practice, I have to say, some shoppers bring this on themselves in their zeal to pit one store against the other.

Good Luck!
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    What is meant by freight? Isn't the freight part of the MSRP?

And as far as "pitting one store against the other" as far as I can tell, unless your buying something very exotic, a car is a commodity and there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the "competitive bid process".

Sales people don't like it because they can't make any money.......
  • austinterryaustinterry Member Posts: 4
    That seems to be OK for TX - I have a quote for about the same price ($24,063) from Houston area - I am in Austin, so I'm looking at Austin, San Antonio and Houston...initial quotes are ranging from $24,063 up to about $24,600 (includes destination) - haven't tried any negotiations yet - still in price collection mode.

Out the door price was $25873, so about 1800 for tax, etc...
    Freight and destination are the same thing.
    I just got back from Fair Honda located in Danbury Connecticut. Never have I seen such unprofessional shady sales people. I went in well researched knowing what I wanted, test drove an Accord EXL V6 coupe. Drive went well, love the car so we decided to talk some numbers. Now I have a number of internet offers from my last email efforts to find the best deal. We started talking about price, of course he started with MSRP and I said that I wouldn't even talk about a deal until he approached invoice.

He asked me payment area I would be willing to settled for whether it be for a lease or a 60month finance. I said around 500 if I finance, around 400 for a lease. Oh and I wanted to get the car for 26,500. This is with 1500 down, as I really don't have the cash available to liquidate, and I don't mind a higher payment. So he runs the numbers and my credit, note: i have 712 fico score so i was expecting tier 1 or 2. He comes back with a 494 dollar LEASE payment. They would not disclose how much they were selling me the car, nor would they give me the specific money factor amount just a ballpark .002990 with a residual "around 16000". All they said was I was at a tier 2 credit and how it wasn't a good credit bracket and cited that i haven't had anything major on my credit other than some credit cards.

The thing that really got me was how they wouldn't write it all down and show me what exactly i was getting the car for, it made no sense at all.

Should I be outraged or is a 500 dollar lease payment something I should expect? Every lease calculator I use shows me at 500 dollars financing 60mo and 390 leasing 36mo.
    You should NEVER negotiate based on payment. If they don't show you the purchase price, broken down with taxes and fees, you walk.

They apparently saw a young person and treated you with little respect. I'm sorry that happened.

Keep us updated.
    i went with my dad and they still pulled that crap. i actually told them if they can make 26,500 get to 500 payment 390 lease, i would do a deal. i was really disappointed and then angry when i realized what they tried to do.
  • tracemillertracemiller Member Posts: 36
    I hate it when dealers do that to you. My advice to everyone is to make the deals with all the numbers before going in.

Before you go to a dealer, know the following first in detail:

1. Is the price for the specific model and trim you are looking for. Is it an automatic or manual. Get the EXACT trim level in writing and repeat this a couple of time to the dealer before you go see them or they'll say it was a mistake with the trim level or they give you the price for a manual.

2. Get a detail pricing. This includes base price with destination, tax, title, license fee, etc. And make sure they give you the OTD price also. This allows you to check out the price detail to see if it adds up.

3. If you are going to finance, use a financing calculator on the internet to see what your monthly payment will be. The dealer will likely try to get you on this. For example, if your monthly payment is supposed to be 490 a month, they might try and say 495 a month for 60 month. This adds up to 300 more out of your pocket.

4. Make sure all the above are in writing and review it with the dealer before you leave to see them.

I did all the above and everything went smoothly when I went. i knew I was in good hand because 4 of my other friends brought a car from them within the last 2 years. Also, have a backup dealership to go to incase something doesn't work out. When I went, I had two backup dealership that will match the price that was closer to my house.
    I really am left with a sour taste. The only good thing to come out of it, is I L-O-V-E the car.

is this financing calculator a good one?

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/financing/calc/loanLeaseCalc.jsp?vpLoan=0&dpLoan=0- &tvLoan=0&stLoan=0&rateLoan=0&termLoan=0&mpLoan=0&tcLoan=0&rate=&microsite=false- &mode=full&flt=n_rval#

plugging in the numbers my payment for a 60m finance with a car price of 26500 and 1500 down with a 4.9apr and 6% sales tax is around 500 a month with a lease payment around 390.

Those numbers make alot more sense to me. I also used the calculator from a payment perspective using the money factor and residual approximations nd found out they were charging me close to 30000 for the car apparently.
  • nautica35nautica35 Member Posts: 11
    I live in the Bay Area and the best quotes I got are the following:

LX-P - $19,888 including destination

EX-L - $23,488 including destination

These prices are below invoice, but are these good prices? Is it possible to get it for even less than the internet quote? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
    "I really am left with a sour taste. The only good thing to come out of it, is I L-O-V-E the car."

PLEASE tell us you didn't agree to this "deal"!!?? Hard to tell if you "L-O-V-E" the car based on its test drive or on your having driven it for a few days...
  • jvswjvsw Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the response.

I now have a price of 19500$ plus ttl for the lxp man. and he seems willing to negotiate further.
    Hopefully I can get it down to 19000.00$...or less....

Thanks again for your input
    of course I didn't agree to the deal. in fact, i will not be going back to this dealership ever again. i'm just curious to find out if my expectations of a 500 car payment or 390 lease are correct given the specs that I gave in an earlier post.
    My advice to everyone is to make the deals with all the numbers before going in.

I totally agree with this. My advice is:
    1) Test drive/pick colors at one dealer (I chose the local Auto Nation dealership).
    2) Negotiate via email/phone with the rest of the dealers in the area.
    3) Once you have the price do paperwork over the phone to the extent possible.
    4) Show up at dealer (with appointment) to verify car is good, sign and drive away. Should be 1 hour or less at dealer max.
    Those prices are fine. Make sure you are paying $55 (or thereabouts) for doc fee. Some dealers charge $250 and that changes the price. That's a $200 swing.

Can you do better? Sure but what's your time worth? I had to draw the line as I was spending too much time. Plus you get to a point where you are negotiating over $50 or $100 and I find that offensive. I am not trying to defend car salesmen, per se, but at some point just buy the car.

Having said that, I promise if you push it you can get the EXL for $23k even (including destination) at a Bay Area dealership. My advice is call them all on June 30th. The end of month thing is TRUE as they do have contests and what not which make a sale this month more valuable than a sale next month. However, different dealerships are at different points in the contest which is why different dealerships will be more flexible than others. For example if you are the X number of car sold for the month and that gets them a $5,000 Honda bonus then they HAVE to sell the car. Start calling on June 30th at 10:00 AM. I promise you can get for $23k.
  • cgyfiremancgyfireman Member Posts: 12
    for an EXL-V6 loaded without the navi.
    I have been searching for months for an Atima and Accord and when I got this deal yesterday I was all over it.
    I got it at a new dealership just south of Calgary.

Won't pick up my car for a few weeks but after test driving this car twice I'm confident it will give me years of satisfaction.

If one is patient and willing do to some work the right deal can be had.
  • sangdsangd Member Posts: 4
    Alex,

Which dealer did you get quote from in the bay area. I got one for EX-L including destination is = 24388+TLL
  • twotonetommytwotonetommy Member Posts: 35
    cgyfireman... what did you finally pay for the car including dealer fees, destination etc? Was this a sedan or coupe? Did you consider buying from the US? I know Honda is offering $3000 off a EXL V6 and $2000 off a EXL I4.

Even though these incentives sound great, Honda Canada are still way off the US pricing.
  • scz3838scz3838 Member Posts: 8
    Just an FYI for all you guys still in the market, and I don't know how much truth there is to this...

I got an email today from Ed Napleton Honda in IL from one of the sales managers. They are claiming that until June 30, all models of Accord (probably Sedans) without Nav are being offered $1000 under invoice.

Considering how much Accords have been way overstocked (at least in the dealerships I have seen), there just might be a tinge of truth to this statement.
  • cgyfiremancgyfireman Member Posts: 12
    Hi twotone,
    I paid 33k out the door.It's a sedan.

I certainly considedred going to the US(lots of my buddies have bought Toyotas down there)but Honda Canada doesn't honour the warranty.

Also a bit tougher to sell a US version in Canada.

I paid more but I'll get it back when I sell it.

$4500 off MSRP a Honda was unheard of a few years ago in Canada.

Our stronger dollar has certainly helped things.

Certainly not as cheap as in the US but at least we're getting closer.

Fireman.
  • halecphalecp Member Posts: 14
    Could you provide the dealership you went through in OH? I'm looking for an 08 Accord EX coupe 4-cylinder and am from OH. I'm having a hard time finding 4-cyl coupes. Thanks!
    Fremont Honda. Where did you get your quote?
    Thanks for the advice. I just want to make sure I get a "fair" deal and not get ripped off.

Thanks,

Alex
  • yahu76yahu76 Member Posts: 3
    scz3838, Am looking for a car in Chicago for the last month or so and couldnt ge the delaers to go any less than invoice. Can you forward the mail to yahu76AThotmail.com.
  • bacchuswngbacchuswng Member Posts: 9
    Two questions:
    1. I have an offer around $20,500 (before TT&L but after destination) for the Coupe LX-S in manual. Good or not?

2. Regarding financing, has anyone been able to successfully negotiate the 0.9% (or 2.9%) financing available to the Accord Sedan for the Accord Coupe? My dealer has said that the promotion includes the coupe, but I see nothing about this on the Honda website.

Thanks!