Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• infohoundinfohound Member Posts: 9
    500 leaves a decent profit for the dealer on a quick sale with little or no work.
    300 is still not bad ... the extras make the deal almost as good as 500 below.
    Remember, the car actually costs the dealer a little under 27000 ... a $1300 or so profit is less than 5% ... even Walmart has better margins!!! Your deal is a good one.
    The only thing to look out for is excessive Doc fees.
    Illinois is maxed at 150 ... $299 is not bad. I have seen gouging as high as 499.
    Also ... don't get suckered by other fees like 'Dealer Prep' ...It takes a guy who makes $15/hr a few hours to unwrap and clean the car. Numbers to compart are as follows: Invoice + Destination + Doc Fee *There should be no other fees"
    Sales Tax, Tags, Title are fixed by your state/city and dmv ... these will differ for OTD.
  • szerszer Member Posts: 80
    hahah no gloating here... you did good as well. initially I didn't expect to do as well as 995 below invoice. Like you, I set out my target at $500 below invoice. The prices started dropping when I compete 3 dealers against each other. I contacted like 6-8 dealerships and the one that I struck out were all "come in and take a look" kind of dealerships where they don't provide a quote and is probably going to play the old dealership game with me.

Last but not least, if you read my old post, one of the 3 dealership actually offered $100 lower than my current car, but changed their tune when I was coming in into the dealership and increased their price by $600 difference (I lied saying I was minutes away hehehe, when actually i was 2 hrs away and haven't left home). Therefore, instead of leaving to the initial dealership, I went into the 2nd cheapest one, knowing i have another alternative if they try to play games.

Overall, i would say that the email method works like a charm and that you just need to watch out for dishonest dealers that try to get you to come in and play games and the ones that increase their price after they think they successfully got you to come in
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    "I know jb_turner is going to say care only about the OTD price, but for a person with 7% tax rate, I would be paying around $29600 OTD, therefore, would this deal be considered worse than the VA deal? Therefore, always negotiate the Sale price and the doc fee as the rest of the fees are usually legit"

Yes... care only about OTD in your taxable area because that would be a consistant rate in your taxable area.
    If you are shopping for others break down the price if you want to.... since 99.999 percent of posters in here shop for their ownself the best way is OTD.
    Your experience sounds somewhat like mine.
    I shopped for a few weeks before completing the sale of my old car.
    In the two hours following the sale of my car, I had three dealers on the net and one on the phone all bidding for my business. Went with the guy 20 minutes away as opposed to 1:45. I was negotiating OTD with all of them. And I really mean OTD ... I told them I did not care what the numbers were above the total line but that it had to include tax, title, registration, tags, processing and anything else they could invent.
    I quoted them my final price and got what I was looking for.
  • cliffclavencliffclaven Member Posts: 23
    Because different people are able to fly to one or drive to another state I think it is more important to list the price of the car and the options they give or charge you for:
    Simple... Just break it down...
    Car (type w/ level & engine size) - $$$
    Options - $$$
    Dealer Fees - $$$
    TTL - $$$
    Seems like we can all make the best decisions when we get that level of detail...
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Cliff, it's like beating a dead horse! I've suggested this several times and no one cares. :)
    Cliff ... it's like this
    2009 Accord 4dr EXL-V6 with nav 27.955 (includes destination)
    Options 0
    Dealer Doc Fee 299
    Title, Tax, Tags ... $ 940
    total 29,200 OTD

How's that?
  • carolinagirl48carolinagirl48 Member Posts: 18
    I don't know how true it is, but the Cary, NC, dealer is advertising all new Hondas, even CRV's at $500 below invoice.
  • DreamHomeDreamHome Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for 2009 Accord LX OR EX in Chicago area. Any good deal/ offer?
    Would appreciate your help.
    Where did you see $20223? I am seeing it $19553!
    You forgot to add $670 to the $19,553! Invoice + Dest fee is $20,223
  • xtrosityxtrosity Member Posts: 11
    I have gotten a lot of use out of this board so i thought I would post my details to help others.

I got a GUn metal with Black leather 2009 accord EX-L v6 no Navi for 26,450 including destination and dealer "fees". TTL was additional.

I think I left a few hundred on the table. I walked away once and got it to $100 under invoice. I am pretty sure I could have gotten a little more off, but I am not too upset with this deal.

thanks to others who have posted.
  • dawnicedawnice Member Posts: 1
    hey, guys. I'm in Amherst, MA. I have got an offer 19700+5%Tax+419AllFees for 2009 LX auto. Do you think it is a good deal? Since the winter has come, should we buy it now or wait some time to get better deal? Thanks a lot.
    You have done just fine. Sometimes it is just a matter of timing.
    If a dealer hasn't sold a car that day ... they may go lower ... if they have sold many, they will not budge. Don't worry be happy! You did just fine!
  • thunderroad5thunderroad5 Member Posts: 2
    Great forum for price information. Thanks to all who have posted. I thought I would repay by posting the deal I got last week. This is in the Denver area.

Base price: $24,778(incl. destination)
    Tax(5.1%): 1,263
    Title Fee: 27
    Tags/Lic. Still to be paid

Total: $26,068

Three weeks ago the lowest price I had been quoted was $25,525 base price. I took advantage of their financing deal and got 1.9% for three years. The Edmunds invoice, w/o tax, was showing $24,450 and a TMV of $26,028 for this area, so I feel like I got a decent deal.
  • mackfammackfam Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking in the next few weeks in the Denver area for a 2009 EX-L v6 w/ nav. What dealer was this and did you contact several in the area? Thanks
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    I have read many reviews about the new accord 07-08 and people complain about the flickering lights problem, does anyone know if the fixed that problem on the 09 models?

Not sure if civics have the same problem, I think they do.
  • thunderroad5thunderroad5 Member Posts: 2
    Ended up going through Mile High Honda in southeast Denver. I emailed five dealers near me with exactly what I wanted. Planet Honda quoted me the same price, but I went with Mile High and it was a pleasant experience. Before I went, I did confirm the price and let them know I didn't want any surprises when I showed up. Good Luck.
  • davekarndavekarn Member Posts: 2
    I've emailed about 23 dealers throughout Ohio for a EX-L i4 Coupe w/ Navi and the best quote I got is $26,348. I have yet to receive counter offers from any of the other dealers yet. Initially I tried to get the whole body kit (I don't know why, but I like it) and nav system for $26,500 and the closest I got to that was $28,500 for everything. I'm fairly confident after the $26.3k offer that I can get well into the 25k range before taxes and docs, and not including trade-in. Anyone have any success close to near this price for same car?
  • bmark314bmark314 Member Posts: 1
    2009 EX-L v6 coupe.
    MSRP- $29,475 incl dest.

Purchased for $26,379
    Got them to throw in the remote car starter for free.
    taxes at 8%= $2110.32
    no documents fees.

Basically this is $395 below invoice then the free starter. Dealer was anxious to sell a car and very easy to deal with. LIA Honda.
    Did all my negotiations via e-mail.
  • usshahsusshahs Member Posts: 3
    Dream -

I just purchase a 2009 Accord EX-L w/ Navi + splash & trunk liner for the below:
    Cost: 24,888 (over $1000 below invoice)
    Dest: 670
    Doc Fees: 150
    Taxes: 2,071
    Lic & Reg: 143
    8 yr /120 mi: 940

Talk to Mike at Castle Honda.
  • stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    Infohound: Let me know the name of the dealer who sold you the Honda Care package.

Thanks
  • ewarren423ewarren423 Member Posts: 9
    Think I did ok here.....
    Color: Polished Metal
    Transmission: Automatic
    Price: $23,749
    close to $900 under invoice.
    they also included rear cargo liner and mud guards.
  • cope2cope2 Member Posts: 1
    How long should I expect to wait for a quote?

I sent specific quote requests to two different dealerships asking to be contacted only by email. Before I was finished submitting the second request, the salesman from the first dealership called me (I didn't answer). It wasn't long before I got a call from the salesman at the second dealership. Both also sent emails, to which I responded and reiterated my request for a quote. This was last night around 8 p.m. In his voicemail, one of the dealers was eager to let me know they would be there until 10 p.m. This morning I got an email from the other dealer letting me know they just received a new shipment of vehicles. But still - no quotes or direct responses to my request. I want to buy a car immediately, but I refuse to go into the dealership and spend half my day playing games. I just want a quote! Any suggestions?
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    Send them back an email stating you had asked for a quotation and if they have some policy against it please advise so you may remove them from your list. Be prepared some just do not quote by email.
  • stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    Cope2: Patience is a virtue. Don't get yourself upset, for they will make contact. And, they will contact you so much where you may be forced to block their emails.
  • ss999ss999 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am in a market to buy accord 09 and wud appreciate if someone who has bought accord recently and provide price details.

I am in atlanta and dealer the best price i hv got so far for 09 accord lx-p model is 18995 + 1300 (destination and documentation fees) + tax and title which come out to be around 20,700. 09- ex will be 1500- 2000 more.

Is this a good deal or there is a room for negotition too?

I am also in double mind to select accord Vs CR-V !!!! Can anyone advise and share comment for each of the model.

Shall appreciate more responses.
    If you know what you want to pay for the vehicle and if you are close to buying, I would send them an email with the breakdown on what you want to pay ... lower it by 1-2 percent so they can haggle you back up to what you want to pay, Say somthing like ... looking to make purchase in next 24 hrs ... have cash ... need your best offer Out the door ... ask for breakdown for Car(including destination), Taxes, Title, Doc Fee and any other fees. Tell them you have other quotes. Go to this link and download http://www.carbuyingtips.com/download.htm the "Buyer's Offer Spreadsheet for new cars". This will allow you to control what you paid. I paid 500 under invoice ... some have paid as much as 900 under. This still leave the dealer with a few bucks ... Best of luck
    I am getting quotes for 19400 for 2009 Accrod LX-P(including destination) + TTL. Is it good deal?
  • geysergeyser Member Posts: 3
    The OTD breakdwon of a 2009 Accord EX 4DR automatic is as follows-

Sale price- $22,683 (below invoice!)
    Protection package- $384 (wheel locks, spalsh guards, trunk tray) [not all pro. packs are the same]
    Tax- $1791.96
    Registration- $232
    Doc. fee- $55
    CA tire fee- $8.75

TOTAL OTD = $25,154.71

I try to get a new car in the next two weeks. Here is the quote I got back from 1 dealer in S. California.
    Is this a good deal? I thought the protection package will be included in the price but this dealer they charge me for that. I'm looking to pay around $23,000 OTD. Is this reasonable?
  • franklwfranklw Member Posts: 46
    I am keeping an eye on 2009 Honda Accord EX as well. When I tried carsdirect using zip code 92126, it gave me $22,525 for EX, 2.4, 4 Dr. , Auto. My experience with internet car shopping was that you can do much better on your own than carsdirect so I feel that you can do much better than that. Try to email about 10-20 Honda dealers in So. Cal. to see if you can get a better deal.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Dealers will not quote because they know you will shop their price. Are you affraid to go to the dealer? At some point you will have to go to the dealer if you want a new car.
    When I get a lowest price amongst all the dealers I still don't know if I want to pay this price because this lowest price may not be a reasonable number.
    You're right. Dealers will not quote the lowest price on their first attempt. I'm afraid to go to the dealer unless I have the right number to offer them back. Up till this point I don't know what number I should offer them back.
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Northern Delaware near PA state line, purchase agreement finalized yesterday:

Out the door price $25,000.00, which includes

Vehicle: 2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 4-cylinder automatic
    Color: Alabaster Metallic Silver with Gray Leather

Other accessories and other items to be included:

Wheel Locks
    Splash Guards (installed)
    Cargo Net (installed)
    $100 gasoline card

$25,000.00 out the door.
    Car with accessories $23,407.00
    Dealer Doc Fee $95.00
    PA Inspection/Reg Fees $180.00
    PA Tax at 6% $1,404.42
    Total out the door price $25,086.42 - $86.42 adjustment = $25,000.00 OTD
  • brandersbranders Member Posts: 6
    I just bought an '09 EX-L V6 out the door for $26,300, which includes all destination charges and fees, taxes, tags, and title. I even got the dealer to add the wood trim to the steering wheel and was able to purchase an after-market wood package at cost with free installation. It is black with the ivory leather and looks great.

When I went for a test drive I got that dealer's bottom line price. Of course the next morning I get a call and some special "incentives" just came in last night and would lower the price by $500. I told him I already had a lower quote than his new price and he immediately lowered it another $500. Then I took that price to 20 or so dealers (via email and phone) in North Carolina. Some dealers laughed at me when I asked them to beat 26,400 and told me the dealership was lying. Other said they couldn't do it. Once I got my lowest price I went back to the original dealer and asked for them to beat my lowest offer and throw in the trim package and I would buy the car immediately. It worked. I'm sure dealers hate buyers like me, but I got a car well below invoice and did not have to sacrifice anything (except my weekend!)
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    I don't know who in So. CA you got your price from, but try Penske Honda in Ontario. When I got my 2008 EXL V6, they beat everyone else by a mile. I don't agree that dealers won't give quotes. I emailed 6 local dealers and got very quick replies from them all. In a big metropolitan area like LA, they know they have to give the best price right up front. At $24,855 before TTL, Penske beat them all. Good luck.
    it will be more helpful to include more details, tax rate, financing/cash (if financing, financing rate), trade-in if any, price breakdown (like below) and etc

Sale price - (including destination)
    Tax -
    Doc fee - (any amount you paid)
    Reg Fee - (if you paid any)

It will be easier for everyone to gauge, rather than giving just a vague figures
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who have been frustrated by some manufacturers’ tendency to place safety related vehicle options into expensive packages. Have you ever wanted to equip a vehicle with specific safety features that required the purchase of an entire package? If so, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, December 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• BrianC15BrianC15 Member Posts: 16
    Good Job! I am in the market for the same model (in PA, but I like NC, so I might drive down!) and I was curious if you could provide a breakdown. The sales tax rate in particular? Thanks and enjoy the new car! :shades:
  • davekarndavekarn Member Posts: 2
    Here's the deal I just closed on:

2009 Accord Coupe EX-L i4 w/Navi (Polished Metal)
    All-weather mats
    Splash Guards

OTD: $27,800
  • chiro2007chiro2007 Member Posts: 2
    A few weeks ago I was looking for a 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/ Navigation. I was quoted $28,400... including destination charge and added bonuses of wheel locks + splash guards (in Maryland). It was too much for my taste... even if I got them to go down further.

So I asked them to take off the navigation but everything else the same. They came back with $26,400. I thought that was pretty good, as all the dealers I was contacting weren't budging.

Today I get an email from one of the dealers saying they can give me the same car (just without navigation) for $25,900. I was surprised at such a large discount after I already got them down to what I thought was near the bottom. The woman has a few in stock.

I then went to the nearby Honda dealer that does not budge on their pricing... it's what's on the car and that's it (I honestly don't know how they stay in business). I saw the same car I was looking to buy... but it was a 4 cyl... and the price was only $50 less than what my deal is for the V6. I asked the guy if that was their bottom price and he said... well, typically it is... but there was a memo that came down this past weekend and they are now discounting cars to at or below invoice.

Makes sense to me why all of a sudden today I get the email stating the car's price dropped $500 a week later. I live in Delaware, but the dealers live in Maryland. I'll still pay the 3.75 tax in Delaware, cause that's where I'll be registering the car. So... a new 2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 costs $25,900 which includes destination. Only thing to add to that is the 3.75 tax, tags and title.

I believe it to be a really good deal.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Aftermarket wood trim? I guess you didn't know that ALL Accords with Ivory interior have wood trim from the factory.

BTW, what was your selling price?
  • hyampolshyampols Member Posts: 1
    Approximately two months ago I purchased an 08 EX-L w/NAV in Polished Metal Metalic for $24,900 + TTL. The price included mud guards, full tank of gas, and a $25 gift certificate to the dealership's shameless accessory shop. I also received 1.9% financing from HFS for 36 months. I received this deal from Motorworld Honda in Wilkes-Barre, which is approximately 110 miles from me (I am from Philly). The closest price from a Philly based dealer was $25,300 from Sloane Honda in NE Philadelphia.
  • truckie4lifetruckie4life Member Posts: 56
    WHAT WOULD YOU OFFER???

Guys, I'm looking at a 2008 EX-Coupe, 4 cylinder with Navigation and auto transmission. It has 115 miles on it, and their asking price is $24,759. What would you guys offer?

I'm in Cary, NC, dealing with AutoPark Honda.

Thanks!!
  • brandersbranders Member Posts: 6
    Sorry if my last post was confusing.

Sale price - 26,300 OTD
    Tax - NC rate is 3%, but that was included in the 26,300
    Doc fee - $0
    Reg/Title/Tag Fee - $0

I only worked with OTD pricing, rather than start at a base number and then add taxes and fees. Much easier this way.

I got 3.9% financing.

As far as the wood trim goes, it does come on the front doors, but I also had them add the trim to the inside of the steering wheel instead of that grey plastic, which is considered an accessory. That is all the wood trim that Honda offers. That was also included in the sale price. The sales manager has someone who installs additional wood trim that is an exact match to the factory trim. I got that at cost and free install. It looks really nice with the add'l wood trim.

BrianC15: I bought the car at Crown Honda in Greensboro, NC
  • imolam3imolam3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, just got a call on 08 LXP-Auto [Wht/Ivr] for $20900 OTD, what do you think?

Sale Price 18,375.36
    Destination 670.00
    NJ TAX @ 7% 1,333.18
    Document fee 299.00
    4 yrs Registration 254.00
    other fee 7.50
    Total OTD 20,939.04
    Down Payment 5,000.00
    Finance amount 15,939.04
    [1.9% -3yrs] 456.46
    [3.9% -5yrs] 292.82
  • azkalhanazkalhan Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

New here and looking for some feedback. I have been given this quote (or within $100) from 3 separate dealers:

Accord EXL Sedan AT w. splash guards and paint sealant for $23,145. This price includes the destination charge. TTL is paid after the fact through the Missouri DOR, so the only other fee is the doc prep of $189, for a total of $23,334.

What do you think? I got these as internet quotes, so do you think I can get them to go lower? Anyone have luck with getting them to throw in tinting for free?
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Excellent Deal!