Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dan2008dan2008 Member Posts: 9
    For those of you with trade in, you should go to CarMax or its' equivalent where you are and get a purchase quote before you go to purchase your new vehicle.
    You will do far better if you separate the 2 transactions - the new car purchase and the used car trade-in/sale.
    FYI-I have found that CarMax has been pretty reasonable when offering to purchase my used vehicles. I have sold them 3 different cars without purchasing a car from them.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    It's not a bad idea to get an appraisal from CarMax, but the notion that they pay top dollar for trade-ins is a myth. They will try to steal them just like any other dealer, and there is less pressure on them to raise their offer because you aren't buying a car from them at the same time.
  • tmartin110tmartin110 Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2009 EX-L V6, Royal Blue Pearl, leather, w/o Nav for $23,144 +TTL. Purchased in Fredericksburg VA. No trade in.
    Somehow I don't believe it, unless it had lots of miles on it already.
  • drpllpshrdrpllpshr Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I've found this forum to be very helpful and thought I'd share my purchase price on an '09 EX-L 4cyl w/o Nav. Vehicle price $22,575+TTL. Painless buying expericence with no tricks, etc. I probably could've done a little better, but I'm satisfied. Take delivery tomorrow.
    I emailed them for a Internet quote on a EX-L 4 cylinder, and their price was surprisingly low. Problem is, I am in Florida , not Virginia . . it might almost be worth it to drive up there, though. But isn't it a hassle to get it registered back in FLA?
  • luvmesomehondaluvmesomehonda Member Posts: 4
    I finally pulled the trigger last weekend. '09 Coupe EX-L, V-6, 6 speed manual w/o NAV in silver for $27539 out the door (TTL included). It's a great ride! And I can see that the economy is killing car sales - this car was inspected on Nov 5, 2008. It'd been sitting for five months!

Six speed with V-6 is great.... What a crazy upgrade from my 01 Civic EX 5 speed.

:shades:
  • alienantalienant Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a used Accord in the Chicagoland area. Any recommendations for a dealer you've dealt with before?
  • agraceragracer Member Posts: 5
    mhuynh
    First, maybe go to CarMax and get a quote for your trade. I believe they'll give it to you in writing. Take it with you. Do not tell them you want to trade in your car. Save that for the end.

If you are a Costco member, use their service to get a quote. Google Costco Auto and it will give you a link. Sterling McCall is the Houston Costco rep on the North Side. Use that e-mail as a negotiating tool.

Otherwise just go test drive, tell them what you want, he'll go over the BS options that they added, tell them you don't really care about that, tell him you'll give him X-dollars for that car nothing more. He'll go to his boss, come back, try to up the price, up your price a little bit (do NOT meet him in the middle, just INCH up) , he'll go back to his boss, his boss will come out and try to talk you into more..."that price is below our invoice, these options are this that...we can't do financing at 2.9% on that price (which is BS - once my deal was signed I got all the extra warranties for the windshield, paint, oil changes, road side assistance, 2.9%, etc..) he might also try to slip in the 'destination charge"...at that point say "thanks" and get up to walk out.

The manager will chase you down and ask you to sit down. Explain to him you're upset that you were told by the salesmen the price included the destintation and options and now the story has changed...he'll appologize and give you some BS line then suddenly the price will include the destination.

Tell them you'll only pay what you said before. Once you agree on a price, THEN get your trade in 'appraised' by them. It will come back low (of course) tell them you want more (go way up above what KBB and Edmunds says), they'll say no, haggle some more and finally get to an agreement. (NOTE: once they bring you a price, ask for your keys back right away - it's hard to walk out when they have to find your keys - I asked for mine two or three times and I could tell the salemen did not like that at all...he lost some control of the sale at that point).

So once the trade and price are agreed to, ask him to write it all up (it will include price, trade, TTL). Make it clear this is ALL YOU WILL PAY FOR. No other prep fees, etc. There will be a documentation fee and inspection fee on the finance sheet (~$100) so expect that going in.

He'll bring you a print out showing all the numbers. If you have to, bring a calculator and double check everything. Sign it and they will start the ball rolling on the finance side.

But you need to know before you walk in these three things...

Price You will pay for the car.
    Price you want for your trade.
    What you will put down/finance.

I had all that in my head when I walked in and got what I wanted (OK, I went $150 over...).

I KNOW they made some $$ of me and will make $$ off the trade. I know that's how it works. What you need to do is decide what you are willing to pay for the car RIGHT NOW** and get there. If you feel like you can do better, walk out. The "get up walk out" routine give YOU all the power.

Over all it took ~2-1/2 hours to get it all done.

Good Luck.

**This is key to any transaction. What is it worth to YOU. My wife and I bought a 2000 Odyssey when they were selling like hot cakes. A friend of mine worked at a Toyota..yes TOYOTA dealer that was importing Odysseys' from CANADA and selling them $3k OVER STICKER with NO WARRANTY...yes, crazy stuff on the Odyssey - it was ALL NEW in 1999 and you could not find them even to test drive.

A dealer we'd talked to called and got an extra allocation of a one in Granite Green...wife wasn't sure if she liked that color so I asked if he had one we could look at first. Called me back a bit later and said they did not have one, but the sales manager did and his wife would bring it in so we could see what the color looked like. We ended up paying sticker. Yes, he made a ton of money off me..yes I know this. But at the time, considering all the other options (dodge, toyota, ford) to me it was worth the price for what we bought.
  • tmartin110tmartin110 Member Posts: 3
    mitchflorida,
    In response to

"Somehow I don't believe it, unless it had lots of miles on it already."
    Unless you consider 39 miles on a brand new car high miles. The car is brand new. Pohanka Honda of Fredericksburg, all negotiating done over the internet. Paula Smith was the internet manager and sales person. Best deal I have found on the net. We were in shock when we received the email as well. Though she misquoted us.
  • dan2008dan2008 Member Posts: 9
    For a trade-in, go to CarMax and get an offer. When you purchase your new car, either make the dealer match the CarMax price, or just go sell it to CarMax. Or better yet, sell it yourself. It is a hassle, but you will profit the most from selling it yourself.

For the new car, pay CarBargains (www.carbargains.org) $200 ($175 if you subscribe to checkbook magazine) and they will haggle for you. They pit the dealers locate near where you live against each other and they committ, in writing, to a sales price, usually under invoice. I got my 2009 Accord EX-L V6 for $2,721 under invoice, no haggling etc.. I also got all the accessories that I wanted at dealer cost. And I got the low interest financing.

So save yourself, time, money and irritation and use CarBargains.

I will NEVER purchase a new car without it again!
  • homerj31homerj31 Member Posts: 13
    2009 EX-L V6 Sedan

First round of quotes have ranged from 25,500+TLL to 26200+TTL (Texas)
    No options or accessories.

From just reading this forum, seems like another 1k should be possible.

homerj31
  • ram_mdxram_mdx Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

What is the dealer name where you purchased the car. I would like to get one. Can you refer the sales person name. thanks
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Let me state clearly: I don not work for RB Honda but I did a few years back. I suggest fico, that you play closer attention to the commercial. The ad is for 2007's with an after-market navagition unit.

Here in the Minneapolis area the six metro dealers co-op advertising and never quote new car prices - only national lease or APR offers. :shades:
  • raj99raj99 Member Posts: 5
    I got a quote of 2009 Accord EX-L w/o Nav 4 cylinder for 22500 (quote in texas) + TTL an internet quote or price whatever they call it. I have a quote of 22900 for the same model from a dealer in OK, but apparently the taxes in texas are 6.25 % while those in OK are only 3.25 %. I live in texas, how much hassle is it and are there any extra costs if i buy it is OK and register it in texas. What price is a fair price for the model.
    thanks
    You will have to pay Texas sales tax when you register your car in Texas. it doesn't matter if you buy it in Oklahoma, you will still end up paying the higher Texas rate. You have to reside in Oklahoma to be pay the lower sales tax.
  • linhmanlinhman Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for ex-l v6 w/o nav in dfw (TX). Got quote from 24K to 25K with no options. My main concern is there is about 200 case complained of premature bake issue on Honda accord 2008 and about dozen on 2009. Does anyone know if this been fixed lately? If so, where can I verify it? Thanks.
  • autofoolautofool Member Posts: 3
    everything included, tax here is 6.25%. Can I squeeze another couple hundred dollars? seems very difficult. want your guys opnion, thanks
  • cntenncntenn Member Posts: 7
    I am posting this for those of you that may live in the Nashville,TN area. On Monday, I received internet quotes for an Accord EX-L V6 from Waltrip, Crest, and Trickett. Waltrip quoted me invoice, Crest and Trickett both quoted me 24,998 plus TTL. Trickett also adds on a 299.00 doc fee. I am not sure that Crest's doc fee is, since we decided to go with Trickett. Overall, a very easy process. I was not suprised with any extra add ons once we got to the dealer. The finance manager was great as well- he did not try to pressure us into buying anything extra.
    Does it matter? are made in japan ones better than made in Ohio ones? I mean technically. purely in the car itself. I am not talking about politics and patriotics here
  • ralphwiggum1ralphwiggum1 Member Posts: 31
    having trouble finding a great deal here in minnesota (minneapolis area). best offer so far is $18600, which seems lukewarm at best. anyone find any better deals around here?
    On what basis is that a "lukewarm" offer? Maybe go on the last day of the month and offer $200 under that.
    If its OTD price, i think it's a sizzingling hot deal
  • accordhunteraccordhunter Member Posts: 24
    I was searching Accord actively for two months for its reputation and appearance, even visited four dealers' showroom several times, but didn't buy it in the end. I had same concern for the brake issue and another one that you didn't mention-flickering headlights when A/C is on. Edmunds' forums as well as other websites have a lot of discussions about it. Honda may or may not have fixed these problems lately, I could not find reliable answers. I just don't want put my own money into unknown investment ---20K at least.
    not otd, need to add tt+l. agreed that if it were otd, it would be a great deal.
    Assuming that it has an automatic transmission, I think that price is very good. Are you trying to bankrupt the dealer? :)
    uh, the title says accord lx "auto"--as in automatic...as in automatic transmission...as in automatic transmission equipped car. and yes, i am trying to bankrupt the dealer because i'm trying to get a good deal. your snide remarks are appreciated however. :)
  • bobbo55bobbo55 Member Posts: 25
    I am very pleased today I got my new 2009 EX-L V6 Accord with the polished Metal Metallic color from Harbor Honda in Merrillville In.It listed for $ 29225. I bought it on the internet for $ 24983 including destination fee. The doc fee was $99 and I also bought the splash guards for $138 and all weather mats for $161.Now I traded a 2007 white Lexus ES 350 which had 24500 miles on it.The lexus was a wonderful car. I hated the white exterior color . With all the pot holes on the roads here in Indiana they keep filling them with tar. I could not keep up with the Hundreds of tar spots on my car.Also at the Lexus dealer in Merrillville you could not just do an oil change at 5000 miles they always had many more items to do at these intervals which cost many $s.Harbor gave me $24000 for my Lexus.I was very pleased.So the deal cost me a total of $1460 and my Lexus.So I will get my title in 10 days..The Accord drives almost as good as the Lexus.The Lexus is a little more plush, but the Accord has a little better acceleration.I have owned many Hondas in my lifetime. I guess that I am a Honda man not a Toyota man.One thing more I would like to say. Harbor Honda treated me very well today they are the best Honda dealership in Northwest Indiana to do business with. Robert
    getting closer--$18250 +ttl
    I have a quote from a dallas/fortworth dealer for 22400, on EXL- w/o nav auto, 4 cylinder, i know the taxes are 6.25 %, but how much do the tag and other fees run to.
    How much should i pay for the model all together for the vehicle on road. Help me here so that i can set my bargain point
    thanks for clearing my head on that, appreciate your time and answer
  • zgzhouyanzgzhouyan Member Posts: 3
    Want to buy an EX Auto V4 in Dallas area this weekend. Got a quote from a dealer for $21300+TTL. Does anyone know how much room I still have for negotiation? Thanks in advance for sharing the information.
    i have a quote of 26309 on the model out the door price from a oklahoma city dealer, + 500 dolllar cash back or gift certificate which can be used towards the price, i am not sure if he quoted me out the door price for texas or oklahoma but that could be good bargain point
  • ricky28ricky28 Member Posts: 2
    I traded in a 99 camry(150K) miles for $2000 and bought Accord ex-l V4 for $20,825(includes taxes+title) in New England area. Did I make a good deal
  • mpe3mpe3 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase an 09 Accord EX-Lv4 no Nav. I received an email from dealer in Indy for $22,900 +TTL. I had been looking at used 08 models, but this seems like a decent offer. According to Edmunds TMV, this car invoices for $23,400. Price is good til April 30th. Any thoughts?
  • ulegendulegend Member Posts: 2
    Early April at Larry Hopkins in Sunnyvale CA, with no trade in or financing. Did not get web price first. Went in for test drive and negotiated afterwards.

Silver 09 Accord EX AT with 12 miles
    price: $21,200
    Doc: $55
    Tax: $1,966.09
    Lic: $138
    Reg: $67
    Cal. tire fee: $8.75

OTD: $23,434.84

Got splash guards with price.
  • krishna4krishna4 Member Posts: 6
    At Livermore Honda You can get $1000 less. Out of my exp in bay area they are the best. You can contact the internet sales manager at Livermore honda and refer my name. You can also check with Sam Linder Honda. Those are the best quotes when I brought my LX-P at the end of March.
  • mandie7mandie7 Member Posts: 2
    What is a good price for a new 2009 EX-L V-6 Honda Accord with Navigation in North Carolina? I'll pay with cash.
  • ulegendulegend Member Posts: 2
    Yep, saw your LX-P price post before going in for the test drive. I really appreciated that. The best price for the EX-AT in the South Bay/Silicon Valley area at that time, according to posts here, was around $21k.

Wish more people would post their actual bought prices and dealers, to help future buyers out. We can use the internet to really change the way cars are sold.

I don't really enjoy the negotiation game. I find it pretty stressful.
    From what I am hearing, the best prices are at the Fredericksburg , VA Honda Internet department. Send them an email and see what they give you. If you buy it on the April 30th, you will get a very good deal.
  • zgzhouyanzgzhouyan Member Posts: 3
    Right now, I got a quote of $20980+TTL from John Eagles. I'm going to Honda of Friso tonight because i bought two vehicles from them in the past two years. Hopefully, I can get a good deal.
    John eagle gave me a best quote for the EX-L V4, he offered me an on road price of 23100 , (including ttl). good luck with ur purchase
  • 2008honda2008honda Member Posts: 17
    autofool

That is good price! with 6.25%.... I bought my LX auto sedan in March for $19,900 OTD with 6 % ... I wanted $19,500 but I lost. Actually I, badly needed a new car and I traded my old one out.

I think this is good time to buy Honda, once the BIG 3 AUTO get in trouble, only foreign cars will stay in business and they will have their monopoly and will demand more $$$. I Think you can wiggle another $200- $400 for LX but it is all timing. Try at the end of the month and look for special sale.

I drive my LX every day and I love it. So go for it.
  • ldanldan Member Posts: 12
    Best quote I had was 24,200 OTD from McDavids. would have probably end up with 24,000 OTD, but we found a preown 09 TSX with 6K miles and dealer was down to 24,700+ ttl which is 26,800 OTD. figure for the 2,600 difference it was worth going for the acura TSX.
  • usc2002usc2002 Member Posts: 5
    Hello:

I live in Southern California and have received several internet quotes for a 2009 EX-L with NAV 4cylinder automatic. The lowest price I have received is $24,915 including destination charge but not including tax/license fees. The sticker price on this car is $29,195.

Does anyone think I can get a lower price than this? If so, how would you recommend approaching it?

Thanks
    I don't see the value of the navigation system on a Honda. It costs $2000 extra, and you can replace it with a Garman model that also has bluetooth for around $600.
  • travdog34travdog34 Member Posts: 17
    Just signed a lease today.

Got a Accord Sedan LX (MSRP: $22,375) for a 36 month lease. 12k miles/year.

$249/month for 36 months and they covered my first month. So it was $249/month for 35months.

Selling price was $18,439, plus tax, tag, and documentation fee. The out the door number is $19,464.17.

Extremely satisfied with the deal. Did everything through email and online. Spent about 30 minutes in the dealership.

Leith Honda in Raleigh, NC. Ask for John Brennan.
  • krishna4krishna4 Member Posts: 6
    I have a good news for you. I got the following quote from Livermore honda. I think this is valid only though this weekend. This is including destination fee. $1000 less than your best quote. Call the internet sales manager and you can refer my name.

2009 Honda Accord EX-L w/navigation sedan (auto)
    MSRP............................................. $29,275.00
    Special price.................................. $23,999.00*
    H90070 H90293 H90516 H90348

-Krishna
  • falashanfalashan Member Posts: 22
    If this is the wrong thing to do, I apologize, and please remove this post.

But I am hoping that someone reading this list will know where to find a 2009 Accord EX-L Coupe V6 6M non/Nav in Red/Ivory anywhere in New England.

Can it be that there are none exist in six states?

I have been going crazy the last two days trying to find this vehicle.

Thanks for any help.
  • mrfantasticomrfantastico Member Posts: 3
    I have a quote in Chicago from a dealer for an Accord EX-L V6 sedan for 22,990. I had to post after seeing all of these other quotes that were substantially higher. Is something rotten in Denmark or am I working with an aggressive dealer? This was an internet quote but the salesman confirmed it when I stopped by today. It applied to all of their 2009 Accord EX-L V6 sedans but would expire when the Honda deal expired at the end of this month.