Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 729buyer729buyer Member Posts: 1
    Just bought one for 22,275 + TTL - you can do better than 23,600.
  • ilovecarilovecar Member Posts: 5
    The deal you got was excellent. What state are you in? And if you do not mind, could you please share how you could get your own financing? Thanks a lot.
    I got an offer for a 2009 Accord LX for 19800 (our door price) in Atlanta. But the financing rate of 5.99% was too high. Did not take it.

Thanks a lot!
  • amithamith Member Posts: 5
    The lowest I got for EX-L 4 cylinder Automatic trans. is 22600+TTL. I think 21600 quoted (roy2001) above is way low. The lowest pricing on ZAG.com for above spec is 23,300 + TTL.

Can anyone confirm if they got a prcing of 21600+TTL for Accord EX-L 4Cylinder Auto?

Thanks,
  • player98player98 Member Posts: 54
    what? ex-l for 21,600 i dont think so. if anyone can get it for that price go ahead an buy maybe you can get close if it is manual but not auto. at least not yet. but yea it can be done for less than 23,600. 22600 is good . did you buy for that 21600. some dealers will give you that quote but then add a lot of dealers add ons which will jack up the price a lot. or just to get you in and then its the bait and switch. i got a lot of low quotes then i went into the dealership and they wanted at least 1500 more of add ons which do not cost them much no matter what they tell you.

but yeah 21600 will not happen maybe. honda is selling more cars than toyota from what i hear and thats with out any rebates like toyota. remember the 1500 for honda are marketing support not rebate. although it seems like a lot of people use this forum this is a very small percentage of people thatactually buy cars so most are unaware of the marketing support and will probbaly be hppy buying a honda at invoice or a couple hundred dollars below. so if honda can sell more cars then toyota i dont think they will start selling ex-l at 21600. maybe you are thinking of just and ex not ex-l
  • amithamith Member Posts: 5
    Here's my total out of the door price (Midwest region)

MSRP - $22600
    Processing Fee - $200
    Tax (7.45%) - $1698
    ----------------------------------
    Total - $24,500

Also is dealer processing fee of $200 usual?
  • mapman11mapman11 Member Posts: 4
    More power to you if you can hit $21,600 before TTL for EL-L I4 Auto. I got a ZAG pricing quote through USAA for $22,610, before add ons, TTL, and dealer doc fees.
  • cszulccszulc Member Posts: 33
    That's what I meant, incentive in terms of marketing support/dealer cash.

I can't recall the last time Honda offered an actual consumer rebate, usually their promos just constitute dealer cash + special APR/lease.
  • summer2009summer2009 Member Posts: 9
    Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Tomorrow is the last day of July and the dealer keeps telling me that he can't guarantee this price after tomorrow. But should I or can I wait until August? For I heard that the 2010 is coming out on Sep.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :)
    lately most people have been just putting down the OTD which doesn't say much. everyone lives in a different areas therefore there are differences in tax and other fees. the doc fee in texas is only $50 in all the dealerships i have gone to and in other places it is $300 or more. so while it might seem that someone gets a deal for 300 less than someone else the prices end up almost the same when all the other fees come into play. the only people that pay less are probably then ones that get a good deal and then have like a 3% tax

i wanted to wait for the 2010 but i needed the car last month so had to buy then. plus i had read that no major changes will be made. i have not heard of any exterior changes other than the addition of 2 more colors or so.
    when i was buying all the sales people told me that i should not wait because the marketing support or the interest rate might change. usually it will change but to the better but this time with honda that was not the thing. i had in mind to wait since there could be a better marketing support in july but decided not to wait. i am kind of happy i got it last month because i was still able to combine marketing support and the APR.
    if you wait for the 2010 they will most likely not give any marketing support and will be hard to get it even at invoice. if it was totally redisigned i would have waited for the 2010 but paying several thousand less is more worth it at least to me for a car this is basically the same.

also no body ever puts what their interest rate was which is a major part of the total (financed) purchase price for a car. while shopping for an altima i have i was given the most amazing sell price and i knew it, so there was no point in waiting and went to the dealership. well while in financing they said that they could only get me a 9.0% which they were out of their mind. i eneded up buying the car for several hundred dollars more but with the other APR i got i saved even more. this sma ething happened last month with some of the honda dealerships.

i think some people might get this amazing prices but then the dealer sticks it to them in financing. they make a lot of money from financing! most of all peopll that get those great prices dont say what their APR was. Remember dealerships are a business and if they cant get you one way they will try and get you another way.

what did you guys with the best prices get you car financed for. then we can see if it was really an OVERALL amazing price
    i am not completely sure but the processing fees is probably the same as a doc fee. some people pay over $300 pr this.
    see i had requested some quotes last month in texas for the ex-l and my sell price was higher than yours but since TTL and other fees are the same we are still paying about the same and your sell price is lower. i think its a good price at least it would be for the houston area as you cannot get those great deals that some claim they got in houston.
    Thanks a lot for your opinions, player98! :)

I didn't mean to wait and buy a 2010. I meant that I was wondering if I could get the 2009 at a even cheaper price next month, since the 2010 is coming out very soon. In other words, I'm getting a 2009 for sure; just not sure whether there will be any differences to buy it this month or next month.

I've not talked to the dealership about the financing yet. We're actually thinking about paying cash -- that way is much simpler. But what do you think? Some people say that this could be a good chance to build up your credit history; but I don't feel it necessary because I use credit cards and have a credit history.

Here is a breakdown of the fees:
    selling price w/ dest. fee: $19,088
    tax 7%
    Reg. fee $299 (4 yrs)
    Doc. fee $249
    Tire tax $7.50
    total: $20,980

What do you guys think?
    ok i see. well they might be willing to go lower next month but definitely when they have the 2010 on the dealership they can be way more flexible. maybe not to the same extent next month but waiting until Sep will make it more difficult to get the color combination you like. to me that was very important and thats another reason why i got mine last month was since there was no cars near my area except for the one i got in the color combination i wanted. i could have got it at another dealership for the same price i got it but with $1000+ worth of free dealer add ons. but they did not have the color combination i was looking for. it did seem like i was passing an extra 1000 dollars but i would not have the exact color i wanted so to me it was not worth getting a new car that is not exactly as i want it.

I have seen some other post here with a lower OTD (`20200 or so). go back a couple of pages and see if they provide a detailed quote with sell price, TTL , any other fees etc. if the taxes are the thing that is making the difference you can only ask for a lower sell price because taxes are set. i recently saw someone with a good OTD price for their car but they paid 3% taxes.

maybe if you tell them you are paying cash they will lower the price some but it will only depend on the dealer since i have heard that paying cash doesnt always get you the best deals.

i am not a credit expert but here is what i do know. it is absolutely true that using credit cards can build your credit but only if used wisely as they can also have negative impacts. usually if you owe more than half of your credit on any one card that starts to reflect as a negative thing.

Also your credit score is based on several types of credit. loans for auto/ house or credit cards. i think credit cards are considered revolving credit (check me on that but it is still as i will explain) while auto loans are installment credit so they are not the same and they contribute to your score differently. having installment credit is a very good thing and probably reflects better than revolving credit.

my advice if you dont want to pay the car over many years is the following. get the best APR you can get and pay the whole thing off in 12 months instead of paying cash you already have the money so just save it for the monthly payments. see i did it wrong when i got my altima i paid it off in a 7 months and although it did help bring up my credit i was told that it looks better when you pay it over a longer time as this allows lenders to see any negative trends in your payment habits for future loans. i was told 12 months of payments will look good and raise your score. so just having credit cards to build your credit it is not good you need installment credit in order to bring up your score and later get the best APRs
  • hondaccord09hondaccord09 Member Posts: 14
    I'm in Maryland. The financing was 3.99% with BB&T or the Credit Union. This
    was based on my excellent credit.
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    I always got the impression when you guys post OTD, that meant the driveout price which included taxes, title, and all the fees charged. I can tell you that my friend bought a 09 Accord LX Sedan Auto for a driveout price(OTD) of $20,100 in Houston Texas. He said that was the best he could find for paying cash. He doesn't know if he had financed whether he could get a better OTD price. Just wanted to pass this along.
    Where in Texas do you live?
    The OTD price should include everything.

What your friend paid for a LX sounds about right to me...usually the LX costs $900 less than the LX-P. $20,980 for the LX-P is also the best I could find... sigh.
    Thanks! That helps a lot!!

I also want to get it now instead of waiting another month. I saw that $20100 post, too. I don't know how s/he made it... It sounds crazy to me because the dealers here in NJ that I dealt with all stick to around $21000...
    I just heard on the local news that this program is running out of $$, so hurry and get in this deal before they run out of $$.
    That is a good deal you got on LX-P as i was told the same thing about the LX and LX-P difference is around $800-900. Just remember, demand and supply in different regions vary quite a bit. As evident on this forum, some buyers are getting much better deals in different parts of the country. I think future posters who bought theirs should post which part of the country/state they bought their Accord.
    Was originally going to go for a EX V6 cloth, but the local dealer didn't have it in-stock. Was going to get it from another dealer, which would take 2-3 days. Sounded good, but then I found out the Cash for Clunkers was being suspended at midnight tonight!

Didn't want to take any chances, so sprung for a EXL V6 in Polished Metal. Beautiful color on the car.

Got it for $200 under invoice, or $26,523 plus the $1500 dealer cash passed on, making the car price $25,023.00.

Got $3500 for my clunker, put $2k on a credit card, financed at 5.99% for 60mo, which I plan to refi with Pentagon Federal Credit Union at the Honda promo rate of 3.9% for 60mo.

2009 Honda Accord EXL V6
    MSRP $28,700~
    Invoice $26,723
    PAID $25,023.00 + TTLD
    OTD w/o Clunker/Down: $27,214.62
    OTD w/ Clunker/Down: $21,714.62

Great experience as always with Continental Honda in Countryside, IL, having purchased 6 cars through them now.
  • dominaldominal Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the info, very good deal. i'm looking for the exact same car exl v6

around chicago also.

do they have another one in polished metal there?

any better deal than cszulc??

thanks in advance.
    The last EXL V6 was in black at Continental.

They will generally do a $100-$300 under invoice plus the dealer cash if you deal directly with the sales manager, Mike Bromer. Tell him Chris Szulc sent you (My referrals of family/friends/clients have received extraordinary deals through them).

If its not urgent, I'm sure they can find a polished metal for you from another dealer's stock. But Mike did say the 6cyl supply was dwindling in Chicago area.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Wow, those are some major changes. Blue tooth is becoming an important option these days. And rear a/c is a luxury feature as well.

Buying a 2009 may save you a thousand dollars, but in the long run, your depreciation will easily be much more than that. If you can put off a purchase, I would wait for the 2010s.
    If you're keeping the car for 7+ years, the difference won't be that much. 2009s are at a great bargain right now ($1700 under invoice last night) and I plan to keep it AT LEAST 6 years, of which the difference between 09s and 10s shouldn't be that much.
    I just remembered seeing someone from NJ posted a OTD $20,000 for a LX a while ago.

I got another quote $20850 for the LX-P last night. It makes me feel that I could still push it a little bit further, :P It's all about demand and supply. I hope that more people are waiting for the 2010s, ;)

BTW, does anyone happen to know what car insurance is good for a new car? My old car is using Geico but it is too expensive. I didn't know that purchasing insurance is part of the car buying process... and now I'm running out of time to do the research, :cry:
    Do you happen to know how long the bargain will last?
    I would guess until the current promos expire August 9th. The $1700 under includes the $1500 dealer cash that was passed on to me. Some dealers aren't passing it on.
    Some dealers are trying to get me take off and go see the car TODAY. They say that tomorrow it'll be a different price... I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow.

Thanks a lot, :D
  • karabarnettkarabarnett Member Posts: 3
    May I ask which dealership in Houston?
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Some dealers are trying to get me take off and go see the car TODAY. They say that tomorrow it'll be a different price... I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow.

It could be due to month end and they want to meet a sales goal/quota? Tomorrow is first of the month.
    This is true, the $1500 dealer cash will be there but they might not want to do $100-$300 under invoice plus cash.
    i agree. i do not think the dealer cash will be more as it is set until Sep according to edmunds. but until the 2010s are on their dealership you should not assume you will receive the best deal.
    see i got mine on june and i saw many people in this post that decided to wait until july because they believed there would be better rates/marketing support. well turns out that both marketing support and special APR could no longer be combined. plus honda seems to be selling more when compared to their competition so who knows.
  • kenyardkenyard Member Posts: 3
    Here is the current price breakdown. Invoice still has a "dealer holdback" of about $528.
    Take that off the invoice AND the $1,500 dealer cash in lieu of financing, and with the minimum clunker cash of $3,500, the '09 Accord can be had for $19,200 -$19,300
    kara,
    email me at jason1981wu@yahoo.com and i will tell you since it would probably be your benefit.
    You don't want the dealer making any profit or being able to pay for the lights, employees, or prepping the car? I believe there are no hidden incentives (F&I or otherwise) in addition to the $1500 dealer cash (in lieu of financing). All they would make with your scenario is the scrap value (what little it is) of the clunker.

I have a problem with them ripping people off and making $4k on a new car sale, but nothing is a little problematic. I'm fine with the dealer making $400-$800 on me. They're not the Red Cross ya know! :P

$200-$300 under invoice plus the $1500cash ($1700-$1800 total) is a good deal on an 09 Accord, and their sales are going up.
  • 2009lxp2009lxp Member Posts: 2
    Hello:
    Just brought last night 2009 Accord model LX-P for OTD price 21077.00 (includes TTL)at our local dealership Valley Honda, Aurora, IL. MSRP was 22,705.00 and Destination and Handling was 670.00. Total Vehicle Price 23,375.00.Standard Equipment and it had no options.

I have been reading this forums for sometime and I thank each one of you for posting your insights.
    Thank you,
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    Seems you don't know the business model of a dealership. they never rely on new car sale to maintain their business. they make a lot of money or car maintenace and car repair. used car sale is also a money cow for them. if you consider all the cost (interest, salary, etc.), they lose money on new car sale. in addition, dealers sell more cars would get higher hold back or more incentive from manufacturers. so at the end of month/quarter, they would just let some car go without profit to reach the volume.

This just like printer business, hp/epson lose money on printer but make huge money on ink. So, don't hesitate to get the best deal you can.
    Well I don't know too much, but I do know most of the money is made in Service and Used.

I still don't see how a dealer would sell AT COST, except maybe as you said at the end of the month to reach volume incentives (if they're that close, a couple of cars that would make a difference).
  • hasanashasanas Member Posts: 19
    I bought a 4 door (Black exterior/Tan Leather) Accord EX-L 4cyl today for $22,400 + TTL.. I used the clunker program and got an extra $3500 off. I live in NJ and went to Willis Honda in Burlington. Great experience at the dealership and I get lifetime oil changes free. I think I got a good deal..let me know what others think?
    **roy2001**
    Well it is true that dealers make money from used cars (specially from higher APRs on used cars) and from any maintenance, but i dont think that is it all that true that they dont make money from new cars after their costs. If that was the case why would they sell new cars they might as well just open a service shop and dont waste time selling cars. next time you go to a dealership for car maintenance look around they have a lot of cars that are not even the make which is sold at that dealership so why not have only a service place. oh yeah i sure dont go back to that dealership for maintenance i got a good deal there but it is much further from my house.

See roy2001 i am sure you are fortunate enough to now how to negotiate the good deals and i am sure you know those tricks that both sales people and finance managers use to screw you from your money. Unfortunately the majority of the people that purchase new cars do not know many or any tricks dealers use, and they are taken advantage of by the dealers which add all kinds of crap to any single transaction. where they actually make the money is from selling you all this crap for your new car.
    if you are talking about the interest given to people how do they lose money from interest? dude you are so wrong this is where they make a lot of money many times even more than sell price - cost. Lots of people do not qualify for the special APR and many are tricked and are told they dont and end up paying higher rates. so this means lots of $$$$ for dealers

how do they lose money from salary? dude they are not doctors. they can work by salary/by the hour but there are many that work by commission. those that work by salary get crappy pay checks. and trust me those that work by commission (which in non exotic cars is not all that much either) are not going to waste their time and sell you at cost these guys will sell for as much as possible.
    but if you do find a dealership that pays good salary tell me i might dump my business and work for them.

They are good at what they do and are very convincing when they sell you a $1000++ extended warranty, they tell you they have to charge you some of the environmental protection package $300++ (they say they have discounted it for you) oh yeah and they added $400 tint which is already on the car (have to pay for it) and thats only some of the many over priced extras that they convince people to get . all of the sudden this can add to $1500++ which if financed will add even more to their profit. Oh yeah but you say they dont make money form new cars. its a business i am absolutely sure they make lots of money. when they tell you they are not making money from the deal is just to make you feel like you got the best deal ever.

so remember unfortunately there are ore people that fall and get high APRs and get overpriced dealer add ons than those that can make good deals . So when compared to the rest or should i say the majority of the people out there you are of a smaller percentage of those that know how to get the better deals. i personally own a business and trust me no matter what business it is we are out there to make as much money from all sides of the business as we can.
    i think you got a good deal. read any terms for the free lifetime oil change because nothing is free. one of the dealerships in my area has a free lifetime warranty but when you read the terms you have to do ALL the maintenance that honda suggests for each visit otherwise it is no longer valid and you have to show proof.
    Update:

Got our 09 Accord LX-P today.

OTD $20,600 (that's all we paid)
    NJ tax 7%
    No add ons.

We paid cash, so the process was fast. They agreed on $20850 before we went, and I was able to cut another $250 in the dealership today. Could've waited for another week or so, but we were tired of shopping, and we thought the deal was good enough. It was a very pleasant experience actually.

Thanks for all the help that I got here in this forum! :)
    Congrats! Did you ask them to go lower on the OTD price if you had financed?
  • solar2000solar2000 Member Posts: 25
    I bought this car the other day in Pennsylvania. Wanted your opinion:

29621 sale price
    100 doc fee

deck lid spoiler
    body side molding

out the door price: 32500

Seems overpriced to me. No?
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Is your sale price before or after the spoiler and molding was added. Edmunds TMV pegs the price to get at about $300 under invoice or $28,432 including destination but before taxes. Out the door won't mean much to people outside of PA since your local/state taxes are different than other parts of the country. Any other fees added besides taxes? Need more information to evaluate your deal properly.
    Thanks!

We asked, but they said it'd be the same price to be paid in whichever way that we please. We didn't tell them that we'd like to pay cash until the OTD price was decided.
  • hondaccord09hondaccord09 Member Posts: 14
    That price isn't bad. I paid $20100 delivered! I also received free splash guards, one oil change, pinstripe (which I'm not using), and rust proof undercoating. Thanks to my saleman who worked for me and not the Honda Dealer lol! Now I owe him a bottle of Gran Manier.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    At first didn't want it but so glad I went ahead and did it. Think about it a bit...you might change your mind with the right color stripe.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• 07pilot4me07pilot4me Member Posts: 52
    well, went to the dealer today. he said he was going to honor his internet quote of $19400 + TTL BUT only give me $3000 for my $4500 clunker. talk about a sudden change in beginning of the month pricing.

anyone know when the 2010 are due??
    also counting on the $2billion more being pumped into C4C

imo, this price gets better at the end of the month, anyone else think so???
  • brickyarddogbrickyarddog Member Posts: 38
    Bought a 2009 Basque Red EX-L on Friday. Paid $22,428 +TTL +165 doc fee at Terry Lee Honda in Avon. I requested quotes from all 5 Indianapolis area Honda dealers and received 4 quotes, all within $400-$500 of each other. The Terry Lee price was the best of the 4, and their Internet Dept. was great, even throwing in a set of splash guards when another dealership offered to match their price. The transaction was smooth and everyone there was very pleasant to work with.