Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    Actually, you can do a real comparison. The 2010s have arrived at the dealers.
  • sgandlasgandla Member Posts: 6
    After lot of research, mainly on this forum and some other forums I bought 2009 Honda Accord LX-P for $19658 OTD incl edge guards, wheel locks and splash guards from jim coleman Honda in Clarksville, MD after my second trip to them in 3 days, 50 miles each way. On first trip they would not go down anything below $20,800 OTD on friday and then on Monday morning called me gave me an offer of $19658 OTD.

Thanks to this forum for all the help.
  • jayfivealivejayfivealive Member Posts: 12
    According to dealers in my area - Denver, CO - they haven't been given any 2010s and won't for another month or so.
  • fjvaughnfjvaughn Member Posts: 2
    May I contact you offline to get contact information for the salesperson you dealt with? I live about the same distance from Jim Coleman Honda and that price would make it worth the trip.
  • user_1999user_1999 Member Posts: 12
    i spoke to the dealer... they are saying they sold the car for 19658 + TTL.
  • user_1999user_1999 Member Posts: 12
    i spoke to the dealer... they are saying they sold the car for 19658 + TTL.
  • fjvaughnfjvaughn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. This information is very helpful.
    As usual they are lying. I have the invoice with me. I got it for $19,658 OTD TTL included. It was last day of the month.

Thanks
  • jackurjackur Member Posts: 6
    Hi Sgandla, would you pls tell how much you saved (compared with msrp)? thanks!
  • rlblake1rlblake1 Member Posts: 4
    Have a Volvo that has lease ending this December.

I am hoping to pick up a 2009 Accord

Went to local dealer ( armed heavily with Edmunds Data)

2009 Accord EX-L V-6 w Auto Transmission - Black - Tan

26,500 +TTL

or 2009 Accord EX V6 w/ Auto Transmission - Black Tan

Except leather added aftermarket but they left out XM/Separate Climate Control and Heated Seats. - 23,919 + TTL

They also say you choose $1500 in dealer cash or take the Honda Financing

Thoughts?
    I dont know what is the MSRP. I always looked for OTD price.
  • slydog2slydog2 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a Honda Accord EX-L in Fremont (AutoWest). It was a very fast negotiation since I did the ground-work. I was quite happy dealing with their internet dept.

Details:

2009 Honda Accord - EX-L Silver Exterior/Black Interior
    $23000 + TTL +$50 document fee.
    * I did not require financing. :)

After a great deal of research, I presented my offer to another Bay area earlier in the day. I arrived with my check book and a low offer and detailed information on the value of my trade. I explained that I wanted to pay $23000 + Tax, Title and License w/o any hidden charges. I explained that I knew this price was possible based on research in this forum. They said this was a great price and explained of how low it was compared to msrp and list. I countered by talking of inventories, recent sales prices, 2010 models available, and the $1500 cash from Honda. This price was indeed possible..

The real problem was trying to get my old Civic traded in as part of deal. Of course they started with ridiculously low trade-in offer. We got very close but would not go for my final offer even when I told them I was going to bring the offer to another dealer...they said that I could call them back if anything changed and that they had my phone number...I then gave them one last chance - I told them that I intended on buying the car today and was going directly to another dealer to seal the deal. No dice.

Then, I went to AutoWest and we were able to come to an agreement very quickly - I presented a low price and was ready to sign a check (I don't want to waste anyones time - nor do I want to spend my time at dealerships). They accepted the offer. A short while later, I drove home in my new EX-L :). They were able to wash the car while I was doing paper-work.

:)
  • spowaspowa Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy today or tommorrow. Did you get the v-6 for this price or the I-4?
    Picked up a 2009 Honda Accord EX V-6 That the dealer added aftermarket leather to and then the customer backed out

It was missing- power adjustment on passenger side - xm - home link a slightly less powerful stereo system - also single climate control ( is that really a big deal in a Honda?)

Black with Ivory interior

24,408 - Out the Door TTL Excluded - this includes 489 doc fee

Did a 36 month lease - 1999.00 cap reduction

Payment $320 ( no tax)

54% residual

.01171 money factor

Hope that helps

PS - This is in Atlanta Area - Hennesy Honda - Woodstock GA
    This was for the EX-L i4. I think an excellent price for the v6 (no-nav) would be around $24,400.00. + TTL

Good luck.
  • daveb22daveb22 Member Posts: 19
    I am looking at a 2009 accord EX-L V6 and noticed that the VIN # was a little odd.
    The vin # starts with 5KBCP. All other accords I have seen begin with 1HGCP.

Can anybody decode the first few caharacters of this Vin # for me 5KB?
  • cszulccszulc Member Posts: 33
    .01171 Money Factor???

That is roughly a 28% interest rate. Are you sure about that?
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    FYI, on Edmund's site, they didn't include the dest charge on invoice initially, you have to click on the next page to get the invoice plus destination to get the total invoice.
    cszulc

my error - money factor was .000171
  • hockeyman969hockeyman969 Member Posts: 1
    rlblake1, don't worry about choosing between the 1500 factory cash or honda financing at 5.9%.

You can bypass that, I just got 6% honda financing and 1500 dealer cash on a 72 month note. I intend to pay like a 60 month note, but I got an extra tenth of a percent and the dealer cash!
  • pat96pat96 Member Posts: 11
    Your deal sounds a lot better than what I was offered. I was at a dealership today in the Sacramento, CA area and was told there's little difference between the 2009 and 2010, so opting for the '09. As the 2010s arrive, there's probably better deals on the '09s. I checked out an Accord coupe, EX-L V6 with leather seats as standard, but no navigation. Quote out-the-door was 28,400, including $1,500 dealer incentive. A potential problem was the car comes from a dealership 50 miles or so away. Your O-T-D purchase is really great!
    Pat
    Hi Pat,

I was offered many poor deals also :). Be assured there are very good deals out there for Accords.

Here is what worked for me - perhaps you will find it useful - most of this was learned from other postings to this group.

1) Determine exactly what you want - year, make model, interior and exterior color - based on desire, test drive, etc.
    2) Determine price by consulting this forum - a great rule of thumb - is to take 83% of msrp (That is the type of deal that is available on 2009 Accords presently). This includes 1,500 from Honda (assuming you don't require their financing). This includes EVERYTHING except TTL.
    3) With 1 and 2 complete, you are ready to deal on price alone; This puts you in a very strong bargaining position. Call several dealers and talk numbers with them. Be sure to talk only with the Internet Sale Dept. - not individual sale people. Tell them that you are serious in making a deal. Illustrate knowledge of deals available and tell them that you are ready to buy if you get the right price. Keep in mind that they will start out with an unimpressive number and will rarely give you their best price over the phone ( lots of people trolling for deals and many are not serious).
    4) Once you get a good number within about $300-$500 of where you want to be - it is likely time to visit the dealership. Call ahead and meet with the internet sales person. Bring your check book and tell them you are ready to buy. Since the price you are offering is obtainable, they are not likely to let you leave the dealership without purchasing. Be sure to talk about this forum and in detail about deals that you have knowledge of - also mention what you were offered from other dealerships. Eg. Dealer X's opening offer was lower than that. This may also speed up negotiations.
    Hopefully, you will get a very good deal. However, if not, you will likely leave the dealership with a very good number that you can use to shop around.
    5) If necessary go to another dealer - book appointment first and tell them the deal you want and how close the other dealer was. They will understand that you can go back to the other dealer and will likely give you the deal since they can sell the car in 15 minutes.

A couple other tips..

* Not every dealer will give you the deal that you want. That is why I suggest calling first and talking numbers a little bit. You don't have to agree on a number over the phone however, this will allow you to rule out a dealer that will not budge ahead of time. You will have to gauge whether they find the numbers you are discussing are impossible or whether they just won't commit over the phone.

* Be sure to mention (in a nice way) that any deal would be contingent upon no extra hidden fees suddenly revealing themselves and the car being in new shape. Of course you will inspect the vehicle before finalizing the deal.

* Be respectful of the dealer's time.

GOOD LUCK!
  • srirambsriramb Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I bought a Honda Accord EX yesterday in TX. I was looking for a EX with no leather and one with metallic grey color. There were lot of EX-L around, but I did not want leather and located one from about dealers. It had

Car: Honda Accord EX
    Options (Pre installed) : Tint + Extended Paint Protection + Splash guards (MSRP $1260)

Price quoted : $24763 + TTL
    Price Paid : $22200 + TTL (Inc doc fess (rip offs etc)
    OTD : $24000 (TTL + Doc fees included)
    Financed $19K at 4.9% for 60 months

Extended Warranty - $1680 for 7yr/100K (added to financing) - I know this is a rip-off and hence going to take it off.

Is this a reasonably god deal?

Compared to slydog2's post of 83%, I am 84%

Thanks
  • mclarrymclarry Member Posts: 21
    Apparently this incentive ends today, but i dont need to buy til later in the month. what's the best guess as to what happens to prices? do they really go up on 2009 accords after today or is that just a ploy to rush you into buying? Could'nt the incentives actually get better.
    Slydog,
    Thanks a million for the info and tips. I now see that 28,400 is high. Funny, I countered at 27,900. The dealer should have jumped at that, but haven't heard from him. A great deal would have been around 26,566 (O-T-D) using msrp of 28,995 at 83%, or new msrp of 24,066, plus 2,500 est. Tax/Lic--if I did the math correctly.
    Pat
  • jay137jay137 Member Posts: 17
    I haven't decided if these postings are written by salesman when they are waiting for buyers or by buyers who have a lot of money to spend. Either way I find the prices people say they pay are very inflated.
  • player98player98 Member Posts: 54
    Just to make sure the $1680 was factored into the OTD price right? Also could you provide a better detailed breakdown of your other fess. Also we are lucky in Texas that the doc fees are only $50 well at least in Houston because other people pay $300++.
    So basically could you provide the price of the car by itself with no options or other fees included. You talk about the pre-installed options and give msrp but you do not say how much you paid for them.
    I know you put the price paid but it would be much better to know the break down: if it included the extended warranty and the options (this is why I would want to know the car price without anything else.
    thanks
  • player98player98 Member Posts: 54
    I am sure there are some posts that have been placed by dealers to get people excited and think they can get those deals as well.
    As far as prices being inflated I disagree with you. I think this forum provides many post that have got pretty good deals. I have seen just a few that get bad deals. Of course not everyone is going to get those amazing deals that some people post because e it all depends in your location. Plus you have to consider many things when you look at final price.
    For instance, some people have paid around $22,500 for an ex-l I4 while in Houston people are paying around $22,900. But then you have to see that other locations pay $300+ in doc fees while in Houston doc fees are $50 so it kind of evens out you basically get the same deals . This is why I would consider the doc fee as part of the price paid many people do not and that is why it might seem as well as some get great deals.
    If you look at the TMV in edmunds most of these deals are way better than the TVM so I would say they are good deals . Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn’t you consider getting a good deal if you are paying less that the average price for those cars in your area.
    Also if you are comparing prices paid for american cars and Honda cars then yeah it might seem that prices are inflated but come one overall Honda is much more reliable than most american cars.
    But nonetheless but maybe you could be right only thing is that you do not provide concrete information on how the prices are inflated
  • stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    Sriramb, yes, return your Honda Care Warranty, and get back your $$. That is, unless your dealer wants to sell you a 96 month (eight year) 100,000 mile warranty for $925.00. (no sales tax) That is what I paid for my extended warranty this week from a dealer that I found on the internet located in Middletown, R.I. I'm from Pennsylvania. Go on to Google, and type Honda Care Warranties, and you will find dealers. My dealer in Philadelphia wanted $1600.00
  • tleetlee Member Posts: 44
    The doc fee in Texas used to be capped at $50 by law. As such, the dealers usually lumped the doc fee into TTL (they shouldn't since the $50 doc fee was "allowed" but not "required" by law). Anyway, starting from 9/1/2009, the law has been changed (thanks to our elected officials) and the dealers can now charge whatever they want for the doc fee. Maybe dealers in Houston are still charging $50. But the dealer in Austin where I bought my CR-V from earlier this week has increased it to $99. So, folks in TX need to pay attention to the doc fee when they buy their next car. Some dealers might hide a high doc fee in TTL.
  • srirambsriramb Member Posts: 3
    No, the OTD price doe not include the 1680. (24K is without 1680)
    I am going to return it as my insurance already includes it for much less.

The break down as indiciated ealier
    2009 Accord EX (including destination fee) $21200
    Options
    (tint, extended paint protection plan,splash guards) $ 1000
    TTL $ 1800
    OTD $24000
  • marchingantmarchingant Member Posts: 1
    The best price i have been quoted in the Los Angeles area was:

OTD: $28,400
    Price: $25,400

That was with the $1500 dealer cash back which has ended.

83% would be:

So its over $1000 from the 83%, it seems that dealer stock is very low on the 2009 and they are not dealing on the 2010.

Any advice?
  • mclarrymclarry Member Posts: 21
    it's my understanding that the dealer incentives were extended. have heard if from a couple dealers.
  • coldheart945coldheart945 Member Posts: 5
    2010 Accord is on the market now, I have bought a 2010 EX V4 on 09/05 in So.Cal.
  • fletchedmfletchedm Member Posts: 39
    McLarry is correct, the incentive is extended until 11-2-09 according to to the incentive section on Edmunds.com. Those cars may not be around by then but he incentive should still be good.

-Fletch
  • coolvistacoolvista Member Posts: 11
    Hi Colheart,
    Thats great.
    Can you please give some details about the deal?
    Was that Sedan or Coupe model.
    I am planning to buy Coupe EX '10 model.

Thanks in advance.
    :shades:
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Slydog2,

Lots of good info & thanks for sharing. So once you are face to face w/ the dealer, are you saying that you will tell that what their competitor is quoting you?

How do you feel out a dealer on the phone to know if the won't tell you anything just to get you in their store?

Thanks,
  • albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    Slydog2,

Lots of good info & thanks for sharing. So once you are face to face w/ the dealer, are you saying that you will tell the dealer what their competitor is quoting you?

How do you feel out a dealer on the phone to know if the won't tell you anything just to get you in their store?

Thanks,
    From one dealer over the weekend, I got a quote of 28,400 out the door and this is in the Sacramento, CA area. The dealer told me where the car was located (Accord coupe, V6, auto tranny, no Nav). Since I had sent out many internet inquiries to various dealers, the one where the car is located gave me a quote of 29,145 out the door, today. I bargained with him and asked him to meet the 28,400 quote from the other dealer and mentioned the dealer's name. He said that he will not give that dealer the car....So much for negotiating between dealers on the internet or by phone and playing them against each other. I was told by the second dealer that Honda changed the dealer incentive, significantly. It was 1,500, but is now 750. So, the deal of 28,400 out the door is now 29,145 at the dealership where the car is located. The dealership that gave me the quote of 28,400 recinded it and also mentioned the incentive had been reduced by 750, plus said it couldn't get the car because a customer was interested in buying. Well, guess who the customer was :-)
    Hi

Before showing up at the dealership, I make sure they have or can get the car that I am interested in buying (color, model, etc). I tell them that I am interested in buying soon (not feigned - don't really like haggling - so, I am honestly ready to pull the trigger for the right price), but, am in no rush; I can always grab a 2010 when Honda gives ad support. Based on phone conversation, I know we are not too far off.

When I arrive at the dealership, for my appointment with the internet sales person, I tell them the car that I would like to buy car X and that I have already done a test drive and spent lots of time researching. I tell them that I have an offer from other dealers but, it is not the price that I want. (They have never called the other dealership, however, the deals that I described were real deals - albeit I may have added in free wheel locks and splash guards) to make it a little nicer :)

They seem to digest the price and try to characterize it. "This is x below invoice", "This is not a reasonable price", etc, etc.

Relax - you have been empowered by the people in this list. You have the knowledge to discuss price! Divulge some of the information you know. Here are some of the facts that I used as talking points:

1) I am aware this is a good price for this car - there are presently good deals to be had for the Accord.
    2) I know of a colleague that purchased this car EX-L for $22,400 + $300 fees. (It was a posting to the group.)
    3) Accord is not selling as well - there are a lot of inventory available.
    4) Accords are often selling for 17% off MSRP - it is common-place.
    5) My price includes $1500 off from honda since I won't need finance.
    6) I was able to say that I knew of a couple recent deals from other local (Bay Area) dealers. I mentioned the dealerships names too.

Sometimes they dispute some of the points - but, I don't feel inclined to argue -
    Eg. they said that inventory is low. I said, perhaps but, the dealerships that I have been to seem to have lots of Accords available. I was basing my observations on anecdotal information.
    eg. they said that the price that I have been offered is a bogus price. I respond, perhaps, but, I have to take the dealer on their word - and if they did try to raise the price or add additional charges, I would not give them my business.

The dealers know they need to get rid of the 2009's. In the worst case, they should give you a very good number before you leave. If it is not good enough, tell them that you know that you can get the Accord for a lower price. They may even offer you a lower price when you thank them and are ready to leave. Still not low enough, tell them that you will keep them in mind but think you can get a better deal.

If necessary, you can talk to another dealer and tell them very briefly you want to buy, you have a reasonable offer, but want a better deal. Hopefully, your negotiations can start at this low number. This dealer has little time invested and can sell a car quick.

Things to consider:

- The inventory of the make, trim, model you are interested can affect price you are able to get. It seems to me that black EX's are more difficult to find - and there are a lot of LX's available. (I suspect you could get a great deal on a silver LX!)

- Think about your financing, trade-in;'s and add-on's ahead of time. These may account for much more than any savings on the purchase price.

- Mention during negotiation that your offer includes EVERYTHING but TTL - no phony charges.

- Inspect and test drive the vehicle you will be purchasing after you have agreed on price but before siging paper-work. A new car should be in new condition w/o 500 miles on it.

- You deserve a good deal!

We each gotta have our own style when dealing - but, if in doubt, come back to this forum. There are a lot of people here who have provided indespensible information.

Apologies for being such a long-winded blow-hard. Guess that I am happy with my deal/car and hope you will be too! :)
    Slydog, Thank you so much for the advise, and you're not long winded at all; I've learned a lot....I did purchase the Accord, EX-L '09, V6 in the Sacramento area for 28,850 out the door. I got a trade-in on my Maxima SE '02 with a little over 200k miles for 2k dollars. (So, actual out the door is 26,850 with the trade-in)....I was looking for a particular exterior color and a particular interior color and had talked to enough dealers to know they were not plentiful in CA.....I'm posting this message in part to thank everyone who responded to me, especially Slydog, and also so everyone can learn from my mistakes or good fortune as you see it....I am really happy with the car, had less than 50 miles on it at purchase....Good luck to everyone on their next purchase. And thank you, again, Slydog and everyone....
  • sram4sram4 Member Posts: 4
    Hi pat96,
    I'm also in the Sacramento area, can you tell me which dealership you went to and did you have to haggle a lot for that price?

Thanks,
    Ram
  • autocarsautocars Member Posts: 2
    Here's the quote I got for 2009 Accord LX sedan 4dr AT from a SoCal dealer.
    Is this a good quote? I've seen better deals that others have got on this forum. How can I negotiate a better deal? Thanks!

Selling price: $19,883 (including protection package)
    Tax: $1943.96
    License: $324.75
    Dmv doc: $55

Total out the door: $22,206.71
  • a13049a13049 Member Posts: 2
    I was trying to buy accord LX S coupe and unfortunatly all of the 2009 in the area are all gone, the only one within 200 miles of me is blue with beige interior, which was the only two things I said I didn't want ( go figure!) So I guess I am going to have to get a 2010. There isn't alot of numbers on previous purchases on the 2010 becuase most of them just got on the lot and a lot of places dont have them on the lot yet. So I am not sure where to base my prices off of. I test drove one that I found on the lot down from my house and loved it, I was given an offer of 22,695 + 199 for admin fee. Is this a good deal at all? I did so much research on the 2009 to find out there wasnt one and dont want to get taken on this 2010
    Hi Ram,
    Auburn Honda. No, not a lot of haggling, just some phone tag to reduce the price a bit. Gave me a trade-in quote over the phone and stuck to it. They really treated me well when I got there.
    Pat96
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    They might have made a killing when clash for clunkers was going, but it will slow down till november. Check this article out. No surprise here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Car-dealers-fight-slow-sales-apf-993711291.html?x=- 0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=
  • 1stmzda1stmzda Member Posts: 9
    I'm going to check out an 09 Coupe and have been told this is the last delivery for 2009. Would like to take advantage of the $1500 Manufacturer to Dealer Incentive but color combinations are limited. To anyone out there who has purchased or seen an an 09 Coupe with an Ivory interior, can you tell me what color is your dash, carpet, and contrasting door color is? I have seen various images that appear to be Ivory seats with a black dash/carpet/door contrast color. Dealer only had a sedan available and the dash was not black, it was more of a dark coffee color, disappointed. Is there any chance the Coupe will have an Ivory interior with black dash? Thx.
  • swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    Hi 1stmzda! I test drove a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L with Nav twice about a year ago. It was white exterior with ivory interior. It definitely had Ivory seats but had black floor carpets in the front. I know the stereo components and the steering wheel were black and I am pretty sure the dash was too. I just took a look at Honda's website and the photo's there seem to be how I remember the interior. (http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-coupe/interior-photos.aspx). I hope this helps! Good luck on your search!
  • jared845jared845 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all
    I am looking to buy either a 2010 or 2009 Accord LX-P and am trying to figuer out the best possible deal. I am paying cash for the vehicle however I feel as if i can get a better price than what ive already received. I was given the quote of
    2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX-P Auto MSRP:$23,415 Internet Pricing: $ 18,947+710 destination, in anyone's opinin do you feel thats a fair offer, and as welll i got a quote on the EX and 2009 Accord EX auto MSRP:$25,115
    Internet Pricing: $ 20,450+710 destination? Any insight you can provide is appreciated. Thanks Jared
  • 1stmzda1stmzda Member Posts: 9
    Hi swhonda, thanks for the reply. I think you're right. Took another look at Edmund's interior photos and the 1st 2 photos indicate so. Red coupe with the ivory color combo you indicated (black carpet/dash) and a white sedan with the color combo that I had seen (ivory carpet and coffee dash). Hoping the coupe will be as I desire and will see if I can make the numbers work. If not, 2010's should be here soon.