Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• shadingdingshadingding Member Posts: 16
    I am buying EX-L 2009.

This is one of my dealers sent to me, as a starting point still lower than your 25,429. Here is the break down, hope help you a bit. Even though I think it still has some room to go.

MSRP: 27,125.00
    Your internet price 23,645.46
    Sales Tax 1,477.84
    Vehicle Inventory Tax 39.89
    License 75.80
    Title/Registration 33.00
    2 year state Inspection 23.75
    Document Fee 189.00
    "Drive Out" Total 25,484.74

sdd
  • rickprickp Member Posts: 5
    hfzeus..what dealer in CT gave you 20050? Assume it was not the lx-p.

Thx
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    In terms of your V6 versus I4 question- I owned a 2008 Accord EX coupe with the 190 hp 4 cylinder engine up until May of this year when I traded it for a 2009 Accord EX-L V6 coupe.

Personally, I felt that the 190 hp 4 cylinder was underpowered for the size/weight of the car and didn't have as much "ooomph" as my first Honda (a 2003 Accord LX 4 cylinder with 160 hp).

The V6 is smoother, quieter, and has a fair amount more "get up an go", and, if I had it to do over again I never would have bought the 2008 Accord EX 4 cylinder and would have just bought the V6 to begin with.

I'd say you and your husband should drive both- and see which one you feel you can live with. Good luck!
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Mommaroo1,

I have been a Honda fan for 40+ years. Go for a V6 EX-L. You will enjoy its super smoothness, superb power, strongest AC, all bells and whistles, etc, in Georgia summers.

Trust me. I am currently owning 4 Accord V6 EX-L including a '08. Used to own Civic, Accord EX I4, etc. An Accord V6 EX-L costs you a few thousand $ more but it's worth it. MPG is about same compared to I4. You'll get 81 additional horse power. Enjoy Honda's power. :-).
  • carhog24carhog24 Member Posts: 3
    Picking up my car tmrw. Grey w/ black.
    $24,800 plus TTL. No doc or dealer fees.
  • mommaroo1mommaroo1 Member Posts: 8
    the salesman at the local dealership wants $800 over invoice
    + $600 doc fees----i think that's way too much---

thanks for the info on the v6
    -that's what we'll get---diamond white pearl--sweet!
  • jayfivealivejayfivealive Member Posts: 12
    I don't think they will add anything else because I've already signed the papers with the final price, etc. At the time they didn't know exactly what invoice would be, but I have a signed contract that says it will be invoice price + $200 doc fee and nothing else.

I've told them I want the car as is, except with fog lights added. They said they didn't want to write it in the contact cause I may change my mind on the fog lights, so they just wrote in that I am entitled to any add-ons for 5% discount, that will be installed after the car arrives.

I did tell them it was my first car, but it was after we had the paperwork all signed. They even have my trade in pre-vauled at $1400 (which is honestly more than I expected) back in July. It is also written into the contract that I will get that as long as no accidents happen, etc.

Anyone know when I can get the VIN number on a new car? I need that in order to get insurance, but since the car technically isn't built yet...
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I would go with the I4 engine. . it has more than enough power and luxury. Plus you will save about $2000 initially and at least 10 percent off your fuel bill. Drive them both . . the 4 cylinder has a lighter more maneuverable feel to it.

The V6 does add fog lights, chrome door handles, and Homelink. If those are important to you, you might want to spend the $$$. I doubt if you are an aggressive driver, so you don't need that extra hp.

According to Wards, 85 percent of the current generation of Sonatas are built with four cylinder engines. 76 percent of Accords and 90 percent of Camrys on the market are four-bangers as well. With CAFE standards climbing rapidly, the era of the four-cylinder family sedan is clearly upon us.
  • altiplanoaltiplano Member Posts: 7
    Is this a cashdown price? Does it contain the $1500 rebate?
  • rreecemcserreecemcse Member Posts: 2
    In northern virginia, new to the market and need an assist. Can I please get input on either 2009 or 2010 EX-L V6 Coupe Out The Door price that I can expect to pay without navigation.

Many Thanks,
    In NY/CT area - i was 22.4 OTD for a 2009 EX. (20700 was price of car including destination). $24.5 is too much. tell them to tap into their markteting support $
    Is it automatic? I am wondering if your OTD includes the $1500 rebate. If not, it is a very good deal. Could you post the contact information of that dealer?
  • venkat23venkat23 Member Posts: 5
    What would be the best OTD price for a Honda Accord 2009 EX-L, V4 in Chicago area(Schaumburg).
    One of my friend bought an EX 2009 V4 for $22000 (OTD).
    I am not planning to take any finance & would be paying all in cash.
    Thanks
  • mommaroo1mommaroo1 Member Posts: 8
    got a terrific deal on the 2010 ex-l v-6-----$65 over invoice, $340 doc fees, 2.9% financing------and the car was delivered to my door, paperwork done at my kitchen table. ozzie valentin at walker-jones in waycross, ga. made this purchase absolutely pleasurable!

after testing the 4 cylinder and the v-6, it was apparent that the 4 was far noisier and not as smooth a ride. i love my new honda! :D
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Congrats on your new Accord ! Good choice on choosing the V6 ;)
    Accord I4 EX-L (190 HP) and V6 EX-L (271 HP) are both excellent cars. I used to put on my '95 Accord I4 270K miles before I sold it after 13 years of use with orginal muffler, starter, paint, seat leather, etc.

If you get some extra money why not enjoying a bit extra luxury of V6. According to MSN Auto, Cars & Drivers...Accord 2010 V6 is the most valuable large sedan. The V6's gas consumption (MPG) is about same or just a little bit higher than that of I4 due to its variable cylinder management (VCM), only 3 or 4 engines run when vehicle on "ECO" mode (2,000 RPM / 40 MPH or higher), (26.6 / 31 MPG is not bad at all). It's a piece of combination of fascinating engineering and fine art. :shades: :lemon:
  • xcmatt227xcmatt227 Member Posts: 2
    When I was shopping around last month, the one dealer I talked to in Southern CA was ~ 27,000 OTD. Where did you get this quote from?
    yes, the car was automatic. of course the OTD includes the rebate. it seems that not all dealers are open with the rebate (note that they are not obligated to give you all the money). from what i could tell for the 2009 EX - the invoice is 22838 (include dest, b4 ttl) - subtract 1500 you get 21338 - another 638 off to get to $20.7. dealer is Honda of Westport, Connecticut - ask for Len - he's the internet sales guy.

did 85% of negotiation via email, then finalized deal in person. they will quote competitively via emal - 2nd car we have purchased from them. good dealer and management team.
  • player98player98 Member Posts: 54
    it should be noted that some areas will charge you for their advertising. in houston area all dealers i talked to charge $200 as part of the invoice price. so invoice in houston area is edmunds invoice price + $200. not sure if this is the case in all areas and it could be different depending on area. i was told by one dealer so i thought it might not be true then called other dealers didnt say anything about it and then they told me the same thing.
    then again like in phxsuns1's case the thing that makes the deal more is the high doc, and vehicle tax fees he has to pay. but i still think phxsuns1 can do better in the car price. i hope you get a better deal phxsuns1
  • hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39
    Honda of Westport (Brian).

I think the LX-P was 800 more, but am not sure.
  • hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39
    It includes everything. I paid cash.
    Hello action378,

It's a little confusing here. Would you please make a bit clear with the break downs if you don't mind?

Does the price of $23,800 include TTL?

Thank you very much.

Kevin
  • action378action378 Member Posts: 7
    Kevin, not a problem....

The price that I paid back in June of 09 of $23,800 included the destination and the $1500 dealer incentive. This price did not include TTL or trade-in.

If you need it broken down any futher, I'll have to look at my paperwork when I get home from work.

Let me know if you need anything else.
  • fikadeefikadee Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 2009 EX I4, silver, interior gray, OTD $21,885. I'm in VA, dealership Landmark. Called sale manager today first time around 6:00 pm, told him my number. He called back about 30 min later with his. Agreed on the final # around 8:00 pm. Came to dealership 8:30, back home by 10:00 pm. Transaction was smooth. The car had only 6 miles, picked out of 3 cars. Great experience.
  • kyookyoo Member Posts: 1
    Austin, Texas.. dealership First Texas Honda.
    End of the month, end of year model close-out, one day special..
    Silver exterior, gray leather interior, 4 cylinder, Automatic Transmission, sun/moon roof.. NO NAV.
    Sticker was a little over $27k.
    Purchase Price: $23,145 + TTL (cheaper than most used 2008's I saw, and all used 2009's!)

Dealer threw in window tint if I let them finance the loan... that was my idea, of course.

This dealer offered a higher trade-in value for my old vehicle than Car Max or Howdy Honda.

Lesson learned.. buy cars on 9/30!
    Oh, and I had them match bernardiwarranty.com's Honda Care extended warranty prices.. but that will likely only work until 11/2/09, when internet sales of that warranty aren't allowed anymore.
  • phxsuns1phxsuns1 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Player98. The dealer is trying hard to sell me the car, but not reducing the price at all. I am in no hurry. I will wait and see how it goes.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Just shop OTD price... there has to be a dealer that will give you the best OTD price.
    Hi, action378.

This is a very good price with Nav. I am going to pick up a car tomorrow. Check back with the forum later.

Thanks.

sdd
  • tweedledee1tweedledee1 Member Posts: 5
    I received a quote in Chesapeake, VA OTD of $26,500 for a brand new 2010 black/ivory Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 4 cyl. automatic with pinstripping, splash guards and wheel locks. Been bargaining a while and think I may have hit my limit. Anyone know if this is good? Nothing really to base a 2010 on yet.
  • tweedledee1tweedledee1 Member Posts: 5
    I was hoping you could help me. I got an quote for a 2010 EX-L 4 cyl. automatic black/ivory with pinstripe, splash guards and wheel locks OTD for $26,500. I think that is good. What do you think?
  • cmhondacmhonda Member Posts: 31
    I know there is a lease forum but it is kind of slow....

I went to my dealer yesterday. I left there feeling like I was going to throw up. It was a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experience.

First, they also pushed me into a 2010, fine, I really wanted that anyways, but I did not have any numbers printed out for a 2010, so I was kind of helpless.
    Then they did not have a silver LX on their lot, but they had a silver LX-P so remember all the figures are for the LX-P.

Then, he asked me what I wanted my payment to be? Um what? I do not negotiate up from the payment, lets negotiate down from the price, ok? NOPE, they would not do it, said the price is set.

So he comes back out, with a payment of 218.51+tax (234.90 after tax) monthly and 3600 down!!! Ok so what does this 3600 include? Seriously it took them 20 mins back and forth to agree to tell me, the "finance manager" actually said, why does she want to know that, I got her payments where she wants them.
    UM WHAT? I can hear you!!! lol

And then they bring me a printout, showing the MSRP of 22565 and then the 62% residual, and then the initial cap cost of 21823, with the cash cap reduction of 2199.43 and my down as 3410. Ok, 20 minutes ago you said 3600, so where did the extra 190 dollars go? Did it just vanish into thin air? oh wait, you can not make up any more fee's to pull out your butt, so 3410 is as much as you can get?

But it still does not show what the 3410 is for, it just says 3410. So I again ask, show me what it goes to, all the time I'm telling them, look I know there are fee's I just want to know what they are, it is my money and I like to know what it goes for.

Finally, again, 20 minutes later, no joke, he comes out with a hand written paper, showing the follow fees

License 175
    Tire fee 5
    Lemon Law 2
    Battery 1.50
    Doc 499
    Rental Surcharge (this was later explained to me as gap coverage) 60
    CVR fee (later explained to me as the electronic filing fee for my tag) 24
    Cap reduction tax 164.96
    Tax of initial fee 44.21

Total 1210.57

PLUS the cap reduction of 2199.43

Give the total 3410.00

I left there so fast. And at first they were going to let me drive the car to my house to show my husband who has yet to see the car, sick kids, I'm the better negotiator, he gets to stay home...... but when I started asking questions, they changed their minds I guess because it was not even offered to me.

So I called 3 other dealers within an hour and a half and of course they can all do better.

I'm so confused.
    Mommaroo1,

Does your V6 Accord get Honda NAVI? How do you like your new car? :blush: :P :shades: :lemon:
  • mclarrymclarry Member Posts: 21
    happy to hear you walked out. they likely thought they had you with the vanity mirror. kudos to you
    Hello,

It's a smooth sailing. Just pick up a car in the afternoon. It's nice experience for an online shopping.

The sale price for 2009 Honda Accord EX-L with a couple of accessories (window tint and pinstripe) is 23,500. The O/D price is total 25,284.

sdd.
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    Just bought a EX-L 09 model for $22900, license/registration $350, doc $55, tax $2008 (in CA we have higher tax). OTD is $25322.

That price may not be extremely low, but the dealer gave me $3000 for my 71k miles 1997 Civic LX which has a dead AC compressor and that would take at least $1000 to fix. So I paid $22322 for Accord.

===========================================================
    Experience is not very pleasing but I am happy with the result. The long story:

I emailed 2 dealers one month ago when C4C still going and got a quote for $22699 for EX-L. Yesterday when I had my Honda van serviced at this dealership, while I was waiting for the shuttle, I took a look at Pilot. A salesman approached me and found I was looking for a new car. He show big interest on the Civic even after I told him the compressor gives noise and AC is dead. I told him I want to buy a EXL for $22.6k. He called me while I was on shuttle and said his boss agreee $22.6 "plus $3000 trade in for civic".

So when I picked up the Van, he got another salesman to help me look around. When I almost decided the color with my wife, they told me that the price is $22.6k from my pocket plus the trade in to make it $25.6k on a 09 EX-L. I was mad and decide to leave immediately. They asked me back and said they will work on $22.6k. I said give me an answer yes or no, I have already wasted an hour. They said trade in for $3000 is impossible (this should be true because one month ago the same dealership another salesman told me the best way is to sell the Civic by myself and trade in only gives me about $800). I said I never asked for trade in and you can forget about that. I will keep the Civic, that's fine.

They said they need a little while to call the owner as selling at $22.6k they would lost money. That is not totally true but their profit would be thin I agree. But I just spent $489 on maintainance and I will have my 2 Honda vehicles serviced here so I won't feel guilty.

Then they said they wanto to get the information of Civic. The real sales manager (at least in charge I guess) test drove it. He said AC is bad and it could take $3000 to fix, so he could only give me $2000, then $2200, no more than $2500. Again, fine I said I will keep it as I know trade in is low so I never planned to trade in. He said he will take it but would give the owner of dealership a private call.

10 minutes later he gave me a print out and said $23k is my OTD price. I said I need to know the net price, and found out it was $23.2. I said OK I would add $200, $22.8k. he said $23k. I said don't waste my time. When I was ready to leave with kids who had not have dinner yet, the salesman asked me to add $100. Well, the trick works finally my wife and I agree to add $300, so net price for Accord is $22.9.

I took the car at 9pm and I arrived there 5:30pm. So it took 3.5 hours which is not very long. Considering they gave me $3000 on the Civic which has a bad compressor and needs thousands to fix, I feel it is a good deal at least I won't regret. Hope this helps.
  • alans3alans3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    At one dealer in Memphis I looked at their website and saw an EX-L 4 cyl. with an MSRP = $27115 and an Online Price = 25194. This seems a lot higher that the deals I've seen for EX-L's.
    I went to the dealer before opening hours and gathered the following information from the window sticker:
    MSRP = $26405
    Destination and handling = $705
    Total Vehicle Price (includes pre-delivery service) = $27115

The dealer had the following price on the car on a separate sticker:
    Accent Stripe = $159
    Moonroof visor = $229
    Splash guards (set of 4) = $249
    Wheel locks = $129
    Theft Protection = $179
    APP - Appearance protection program = $189
    Total = $28249

25194/28249 = 89% of sticker total

What should we offer for this car (or one very similar) not including TTL?

The dealer website doesn't list a contact for internet sales, it just says please call. Should I call and ask for the internet sales person before going to the dealer to talk & test drive.

Also, another dealer in town has an appearance package with ProPack, nitrogen pack, trunk tray, mud guards, wheel locks for $980, so the dealer add-ons look similar - though I don't know what propack or nitrogen pack are. I'm not quite sure what a trunk tray is either, maybe a fancy cargo net? Since the dealers have the same amound of add-ons I figure I could talk to either one first.

Thanks for any replies.
    Alan
    I would say give them an offer, through phone or email, 24k, firm. Ask for an answer yes or no. Don't hurry to dealership. They will drag you for half day and you would end up pay $500 or $1000 more than your plan or you waste your time.
  • thebestdealthebestdeal Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a 2009 Honda Accord.

I want to know what would be the best price? I asked couple of dealers.They said they can give it to me for $18550 for LX and $19550 for LX-P. But with this price they ask for minimum of 5.99% apr. I stay at bay area, california . Can someone help me with this?
    BTW, the EX-L I bought has a sticker price $26405 + $670 destiny which edmunds shows $710 destiny.

But dealer told me the invoice is $24900 ( I saw that number on print) while edmunds shows invoice is $24645/$24605.
  • player98player98 Member Posts: 54
    i think that the invoice price the dealer told you sound about correct. i think the difference that you saw in the invoice of the dealer and the edmunds invoice is the fact that edmunds does not consider that the dealer also charge for the advertising fee. yeah it sucks but dealers pass that on to buyers.

when i got mine i also notice that the dealers had $200 over what edmunds invoice was. i thought the first dealer i went to was just trying to screw me $200 but i asked for invoice price at other dealers and they all gave me the same price. so i finally asked why it was more than edmunds and i was told it was a fee for the advertising and that they put that on the invoice.

i talked about this before and i think i asked if other people knew what their advertising fee was in their area as i wanted to find out if this is the same in all areas or different.
  • kingsfan2kingsfan2 Member Posts: 22
    Which dealer in Sacramento did you make your deal with? I'm looking
    for an EX-L also.
  • shop4accordshop4accord Member Posts: 6
    action 378,

I bought my Accord from Valley Honda. The buying experience was smooth and easy for me as well. I didn't take any extended warranty. It took me like 4 hours to walk out from there.
    Have you tried to find an auto loan yourself before going to dealer? I had a 3.59% for 48mons from one of federal credit unions based on my credit score. I showed it in front of sale person but they could not compete with it, so I used my own.

Be prepared on both the price and the financing, the dealer won't hurt you badly.

sdd
  • action378action378 Member Posts: 7
    Great to hear, they sure do seem to sell alot of cars. So what model of Accord did you buy?
  • sancho_panzasancho_panza Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2009 Accord LX sedan automatic today from a dealership in Princeton, New Jersey. I paid $20,100 "out the door". This price includes all charges: NJ 7% tax, tag and (4 year) registration ($274), destination fee ($710), dealer document fee and a tire tax. I know some of these incidental fees will vary state to state/dealer to dealer. I had an offer for another Accord (same model) with another dealership for $19750 "out the door", but I passed and paid a little more for the color I wanted. I hope this information helps. Good luck on your purchase.
    Hi, sancho_panza,

I am wondering if this price includes the $1500 dealer cash. If not, which dealer did you make your deal with? This is a great deal.
    Folsom Lake Honda. Ironically, I went there when C4C just started, the salesman told me that the dealer would only pay $600-$800 for my Civic so I'd better sell myself as Civic is hot on used car market. When I made an offer of $22.6k they said no way even though I had a quote for that price from Carmichael Honda.

They still have 50+ Accords last weekend. For EX-L if you don't want GPS, they ran out of white, beige and light green color (I picked). They should have black, blue, red, silver and gray. If you add $1200 they might sell you a EX-L/Navi.
  • kingsfan2kingsfan2 Member Posts: 22
    I test drove one there. Being new, they might be more hungry. Was this an
    automatic?
    Yes automatic.
  • jayfivealivejayfivealive Member Posts: 12
    Picked up my 2010 EX-L i4 manual today. Paid 24900 for the car, added fog lights for 400, just under 2k in taxes, total cost after fees and taxes was 27250. My first car :):) I am soo happy! the i4 manual definitely has plenty of power, much more than compared to the auto I test drove. I could not be happier! This was in the Denver area... Boulder to be specific.