Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mwaugh1mwaugh1 Member Posts: 7
    You are spot on..Accord and Camrys hold their value and are hot products indeed! I wouldn't expect manufacturers or dealers to give any slack. The Accord with its new redesign for 2013 is going to knock off Camry as teh number 1 car. They are the only ones I know off that provide rear view camera on the base midel
  • hondaccord09hondaccord09 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2012
    Anyone here who tells you that they bought a 2013 Honda Accord for $4300 below the dealer invoice's price is a LIAR. May no mistake I am very anti dealer when it comes to buying a new car. However, I do believe that you can get that price near the end of 2013.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    MR HONDA SALESMAN. the new Altima is probably just as good a buy as the Accord, better gas mpg, quieter inside and handles better,, but that is not my call. i think the game has left you many a years now. people are buying the new altima for 1000 below invoice some folks have posted up to 1500 below invoice excluding any rebates.. Honda dealers are known to pull these tactictics. i no from experience.. honda always thinks they have a hot new product. this is america.... honda dealerships should try and make as much as they can,, and me as the consumer want to buy there vehicles for the cheapest. your a retired honda salesman the game has changed over the years . my point of views and my 2 cents are to help the consumers in this forum. maybe you should be in in the retired car salesman forums. sorry to sound like this. been buying new cars over 30 yrs i think i seen and learned many of the tricks over the years.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• s2013s2013 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote for $25,325 drive out price here in Houston.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    So, buy an Altima!

Cars sell for what the MARKET dictates. Nothing wron with Altimas, they are great cars but they have never held the resale values of Accords or Camrys.

Whe cars are deeply discounted it's because this is what they HAVE TO DO in order to sell them.

Actually, as used cars, Altimas are a LOT of car for the money because they depreciate so quickly. A two year old Altima will sell at auction for thousands less than an Accord or Camry.

And, I may be retired but I still try to keep up with things.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Right on Isell! I'm amazed by the people who post on here posing as experts. Youve always given great advice and used correct grammar and spelling
    Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    I got a better quote from another dealer OTD price of $25,180 including tint, nitro, wheel locks, trunk tray and mud guards. What do yall think?
  • jay232jay232 Member Posts: 1
    Can you please post the name of the dealer and salesman where you got the quote of OTD of $25,180 in houston from? I am in houston area looking for a Accord Sports as well.
    I agree with you 100 % on your asssesment on Nissans .. My thoughts on the Honda Accord along with several past car reviews ie; edmunds, consumers, and kellys the last couple of years Honda has let the competition slip by them.. I think they are now back on top with new design , nicer cabin and innovative tech. this new Accord stacks up nicely to the Hyundia Genesis with its new design and tech features for 12k less.. they look very similar .. This is going to hurt hyundia genesis sales until the 2014 redesign Genesis and 10 speed trany comes standard on this higher end vechicle.

Why, thank you for the compliments!

I've always tried to tell it like it really is and even when I was still in the business, I tried to be open and objective.

I've been around since these forums started and I've watched a lot of well meaning "experts" come and go.

I try to refrain from jumping in but it's hard sometimes!

And I agree. Some of the grammar and spelling errors speak volumes.
    edited October 2012
    I'm glad we all agree on being in thses forums from the start 13 yrs or so.. I never assume that bad grammer from folks who know there facts and life experiences from the Art of car buying makes there comments any less knowlegeble or wrong. Unless we work in the car business. just my 2 cents over the years dealing with saleman in these forums. The internet is the down fall of exposing dealerships sneaky and slimy ways of ripping people off..

• michaelvoxmichaelvox Member Posts: 25
    Dear most informed car people on the planet:

I've enjoyed reading these boards for several years. I learn so much. I now, again, turn to the wisdom of the crowd.

The car in question: 2013 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 black/black

The facts:
    1) I have a perfectly working 99 accord with 205k on it that is not presently giving me any problems;
    2) I have an offer for $500 _over_ invoice;
    3) I plan to have a new car before New Year's;
    4) I live in the South San Francisco Bay Area;
    5) I am the cheapest man on the planet.

Besides the outliers on these message boards who somehow get $1000 _below_ invoice, what does the real-world data say about waiting a few months for prices to come down?

Edmunds, USAA, Costco, Truecar all put me near or above MSRP right now.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Michael.
    Mike at this moment Invoice price on the new Accord is probably the best offer you will recieve due to the supply and demand factor. Below invoice pricing might not occur til 2013 and even that will depend on Hondas sale numbers..This new honda Accord is like when the Honda pilot 1st came out in 2003. From Nov,2002 til about June 2003 not to many people bought below invoice especially in the New york, New jersey area.. That being said I would wait till end of december 2012 shoot for the last 3 days. 1st- go on Edmunds and locate as many Honda Dealers in your area that you would drive to pick up car in a 2 or 4 hour ride. Email all dealerships Internet Managers. Make 1 short simply email or phone call letting these internet managers know that for 300 below invoice you will give a credit card deposit and pick up your choice of Accord. Your research by doing this will give you the answers to pricing on the 2013 accord.... Mike You said you are very cheap so you will like this part. If you contact 20 or 30 Honda dealerships and by Decembers end your still at 500 above invoice kindly tell each dealership that below invoice makes this deal happen. fully knowing that invoice will get your deal done.. Then you could decide on your best price. You might decide that invoice price is a good buy for you.. If December does not work try at the end of jan,2013. I see no reason why by jan 2013 you cant get invoice or below. Play the game you will love it. Ask every dealership about giving you free oil changes and what other services they can offer you. X off the bad dealerships that dont give you there best price, X off ones that tell you to come in.. why rush dont pay 1 dollar above invoice, weed out all the bad dealerships, the key to a quick sale is your letting them know your ready to buy that moment. The bigger dealerships work on car sales/ volume selling they are more inclined to make that quick buck on you. cause the next herb customer they will rob if they dont know the game.. every honda dealership gets back 2% of base msrp plus dealers built in doc fee's . ........ Good luck ,,,,,,,,, Mike

edited October 2012
    Actually I believe these forums began in 1996. All of us got our dates reset in 2001 when Edmunds changed providers.

Cars sell for what the market dictates. I have watched people agaonize over "saving" a few hundred dollars by spending days emailing and visiting dealers and pitting one against the other.

If this is a person's idea of having an enjoyable car buying experience than ths is what they should do. I would sell a lot of cars to these people and it never seemed they were happy at the end. My last years in the business were spent mainly dealing with repeat and referral customers who were more concerned over the total experience than PRICE!

Funny thing is, they probably didn't end up paying more in the end.

My advise is always to ask your family and friends for a referral. If you see someone in a parking lot with a new Accord, ask them where they bought it and if they would reccommend that store and salesperson.

It really doesn't have to be a drawn out, miserable experience.

As far as dealerships being "sneaky and slimy" there is no doubt that many are. So are many customers but that is a topic for a different forum.

Look for family owned stores with a good reputation. Ask your salesperson how long they have worked there. Most stores are a revolving door.

I got lucky. After escaping the corporate world I picked a family owned store. I spent almost 14 years there. When I left, they still had the same owner, same General Manager, same Sales Manager and same Used Car Manager.

Top Honda store in nine states for more than 32 years.

And they didn't get there by mistreating customers or by charging too much!
  • joechicago7joechicago7 Member Posts: 22
    Right now, $500 above invoice for a 2013 is a pretty good deal. There does seem to be excess demand due to the redesign of the 2013 model. I'd assume that by next summer, they will be selling for $1-2k below invoice (as they do every year before the next year's models come out).

So it's just a matter of how long you want to wait. Given that you have a 1999 accord with 200k+ miles, I can assume that self esteem or image isn't important to you, so time is on your side.
    MY car buying system is the fastest way to avoid all the bs dealers will pull on you ,, fast and direct , wastes no time getting best price and weeds out all the bad dealers. It has never failed me since i bought my 1st new car the late 70's all thou ,,,back then i would call by phone to the dealers.. MR isellhonda sounds like a good man even very honest and his points are well taken, my way is quick easy and avoids all the nonesense.. Your honda vehicle can be serviced at any honda dealership.

edited October 2012
    Joe,, unless Honda sales are down compared to the new improved Altima/ Sonata , kia Opima, Vw passat and Ford fusion. you might not see that kind of savings til later in the year. the market will dictate pricing. 1k below invoice maybe by summer end not 2k never gonna happen...alot of honda dealership will stick together on pricing/ not all but alot.. I think honda has hit a homerun with this model.. I guess we will have to wait and see

If your system works for you that's great.

You also need to understand that most busy people have little desire to go through the time and trouble that you do. I know I sure didn't!

A lot of people simply want a good deal while being treated in a down to earth professional manner. They don't want to deal with a store that runs full page "screamer" ads every weekend and turns over it's staff every four months as a lot of places do.

They don't want to be pounced on by a "liner" before they have a change to get out of their car. They don't want to be flipped to three different "managers" who are simply closers.

Most "Internet Managers" are newby liners whose sole job is to get you in the door so you can be worked over. There is usually no benefit by trying to avoid the typical dance by going through the internet.

Like I said, ask for a referral. You will be treated in an upfront, professional manner and you won't pay more in the end.
    edited October 2012
    Buying on line is Quick and Effortless. IT AVOIDS ALL THE WASTED TIME IN THE DEALERSHIPS. All the games the bait and swtich tactics they pull. How much do you want to pay??? LET ME TALK TO MY MANGER CRAP..YOU CAN READ ALL THE HORROR STORIES ABOUT CONSUMERS IN DEALERSHIPS FOR HOURS GETTING NO WHERE LEAVING SHAKING THERE HEADS.....buying on line may take me 1 hour of my time to email 30 dealerships with my price and desired vehicle. That my friends is all your hard work.. My way deals directly with the person who can say yes to my price or no..My way puts every dealership on notice i'm buying that moment.. Its YES OR NO.. Alot of people today are computer savy and are buying cars like this. More should. Any internet mngrs. that cant give me his Best price or any price gets X off my list. Cant get any easier than this... I urge everbody to try buying like this. you will see how easy it is to have a wonderful stress free no bs...buying experience..... again folks supply and demand play a big part in pricing and like i said thousands of times in these forums you will get your best price buying this way online last days of the month, quarters end, or end of the year. The key is telling these dealers your buying that moment... I guess i agree to disagree from above post....... Brian

• tweety6583tweety6583 Member Posts: 15
    What do you do when there is a trade in to consider in the equation. I can get a great price using e-mails and then I go in and get low balled on the trade. I don't have a Car Max near me. Is leasing the way to go now days. I have never leased but it seems like not having a trade makes the process a lot easier. Thoughts.....
  • wds1wds1 Member Posts: 23
    I have emailed several Honda dealerships in my state. The best price I have received is a price of $29127.00 plus tax, title, and fees for $30567 OTD for a 13 Accord EX-L V6, no nav. Is this a reasonable price? From what I am reading, it seems to be about $900 above invoice. ALL the other dealers are very far off from this price. I could really use some input on this price. Thanks!
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    First Texas Honda in Austin, TX shows a no haggle price of $28,873 for 13 EX-L V6 no nav on their website. This is + ttl and I am sure fees. I have not contacted the dealership. I am thinking about a coupe in a few months.
    my advice to you on trade in is 1- sell it privately you will get more money. 2- if you have to trade in get your best 3 or 4 internet prices dont mention a trade then go to each of the 3 best priced dealers and see who will give you a fair price.. i have traded in cars but i find alot of dealers will low ball you on the trade in. some dealers use nada price some dealers use galves. alot dont go near kelly's price.. If you dont sell private you will lose 2k to 3 k on trade. your target price should be invoice on the Accord. you might need to wait a few more months for invoice in your area. i personally dont like to lease but same rule applies never tell them your leasing till after you agreed on lowest price.. make sure you know the money factor and residules on the car for that month... good luck

edited October 2012
    read my last few prior post on buying online. try emailing five more dealers. tell each dealership for invoice price i'll buy right now. call that dealer that wants 900 over invoice . tell that dealers internet manger that for invoice price you will buy now. its fast and simply.. leave him your phone number to think about it. tell him your considering driving 3 hours to another dealer for invoice pricing. put the bug in his ear. tell the dealer you'd rather give him your buiness and you have no problem going a few hours to pick up the accord. then hang up and wait. do this with 5or 10 dealers you will get a better price. wait til the last days of the month if you could, or wait 2 or 3 months you'll get better pricing.. i like to tell dealers who are 1 to 2 hours from me listen your kind of far but for this price i would consider driving to you. make the further dealer give you his best price the key is your buying asap.. a good dealership that sells cars will always identify me as a quick sale and knows he has to [non-permissible content removed] or get off the pot to get my buiness. big dealerships that sell in volume are your target. for every smart buyer the dealer knows there are 10 herbs. good luck

edited October 2012
    Quick story on pricing bought my daughters Toyota back to Dealership for recall and minor problem under warranty. while i was waiting walked over to Metro Honda in Jersey City. On his lot were about 50 2013 Honda Accords and several coupes. notice all his cars had appearance pck extra;s like pinstriping etc. 995 added on sticker. you know this dealership is a slick cookie. i went in an found sales manger. i told him i want to buy one of his 2013 accord on his lot today i told him i was buying in new york but i seen the accord i want. not only would he have sold me this accord for invoice i told him his doc fee's of 249 i would not pay. i did not buy from this dealer but you see folks its how you play the game. he thought he had a sale. i know he took one look at me and said quick sale.. same applies on line play the game.. supply and demand plays a big part.

• joesanerdjoesanerd Member Posts: 8
    Been lurking for some time... Think I'm finally gearing up for a purchase in the near future...

Quick question on the new 2013 accord coupe... What is this "introductory pricing"? None of the Honda dealers around my way have any real clue.

Do you all think it will be possible to get close to invoice or even a decent amount below msrp?

Not sure what I'd be dealing with here...

Thanks!

-Joe
    edited October 2012
    i would check several dealerships web sites for 2013 inventory. the bigger dealerships have more cars. broaden your search area with dealerships . call every internet manager tell them for invoice price you buy now. make each dealership manger give you his best price. x off any dealership that wont give you there lowest price. supply and demand all dealers that dont have many accords on there lot may not care if they lose you right now... good luck

• alexakhaminovalexakhaminov Member Posts: 8
    Hey wds1,

i bought the same car for 30500 OTD, but it seems that maybe you could fight it out for a few more hundred. Make sure that you have a written offer and use it to go to others and try to get better prices.
  • joechicago7joechicago7 Member Posts: 22
    What was your price before taxes?
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Weymouth Honda in MA shows 7 (no colors specified) '13 EX-L V6 w/o Nav available for $27,739 and 2 w/Nav for $29,494. Asked my local Honda dealer in NW Florida if they could sell to me for $500 more as that's what it would cost me to go get the car in MA or have it shipped. They laughed and basically told me to enjoy my trip. I'm sure I will.
  • lwb23lwb23 Member Posts: 3
    We purchased a 2013 Accord EX-L V6 no nav on Saturday for $30217 OTD. That included what they call a $550 power pack (Tinted Windows, Trunk Mat, Mud Guards, Wheel Locks) plus the installation of a rear spoiler.
  • lwb23lwb23 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my car last week here in South Florida for close to that price. They didn't have it in stock and I believe they had to have it sent in from your area. No extra cost to me. Maybe your car is in state and you can save yourself the trip.
    edited October 2012
    Always Post the Dealers Name and State so other people in this forum can see the price you purchased at..

• joesanerdjoesanerd Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone actually gone out of state to get cars from this dealership... Their prices seem so good, it almost seems worth it to go up from MD to get one.
    Joe if they are a good dealership and its worth your wild to drive there i say buy it on line with a minamal credit card deposit . make sure he faxes you a buyers order with all the specific;s of the deal. if the buyers order looks kosher sign it, fax it back and your done, call me when the car is in... fast and simply... good luck

• arizonahonda1arizonahonda1 Member Posts: 2
    fully loaded v6 navi msrp is 32,350 with out navi 30350 4cyl exl is 28070 with navi 4 cyl exl is 30070. the ex model is 25875 with auto. 6spd is 25025. if you go the lx-s entry model it is 24200 cvt or 23350 with the 6spd

now I know your gonna ask what invoice is. well on the lx-s 6 spd its 21586.29 with the 1% hdag fee. on the loaded its 29,877.29.

You need to add $790 destination to any of these above numbers. Dont expect dealers to discount heavily on the coupes if you want one now. I havent even got my 1st coupe yet. If money is more important than having it right now, wait 6-8 months and you will see discounting as we will all have cars.

Please realize everyone, it is simply supply and demand. Far away dealers will quote you lower to get you there. Then raise the price and piss you off when you show up. Your local dealer is always your best source. He is going to service for you.

If you go to the dealer and say ' I know what your invoice is, and I am not paying anymore', you may not get far. Dealers need to make a profit. You pay over 100% profit on some items at Target and you dont [non-permissible content removed], cuz you dont know. Just be reasonable and nice to the salesperson and you will go much further. Its the profession we chose, and we have mortgages and bills just like you do. Treat us as humans and we all will be happy.">
  • arizonahonda1arizonahonda1 Member Posts: 2
    Brian- I just dont understand why you feel the pricing should be below invoice. I assume you work for a living (or at least did if your retired). If you earned a wage of $20 per hour and I walked in and said I want you to work at $12 per hour why you were doing my stuff, would you do that??? Probably not. Yet you want dealers to work for less all the time. If a car is sold at MSRP, that is a margin of $2315 plus the holdback. Not a large profit.

The easiest most painless way to buy a car is to pay the MSRP. Thats what the manufacturers suggest. The brain damage is the customers wanting to give no profit to a dealer at all. If we did it all the time, we wouldnt exist.

The Herbs 'as you call them' leave the dealer the happiest. The gentleman like you that have to buy at invoice or under, usually leave the dealership feeling they got screwed. I would rather have happy Herbs, than pissed off Brians. And the brians paid the least.
    edited October 2012
    Russell and Smith Honda - ask for Dung
  • alexakhaminovalexakhaminov Member Posts: 8
    28,337 was the price before all the other fees, tax, title.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    1) Salespeople are not allowed to solicit in our forums... Those posts, and those that replied to them have been deleted..

2) This forum is not for a discussion about buying techniques.. It's to report your specific buying experience for a new Honda Accord.. Those posts and replies have also been deleted..

Lets keep the chaff out of the forum, so our members can find out what other members are paying for a new Accord.

Thanks!

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited October 2012
    CAR BUYING is a negiotation. prices paid for that product. Why should you be allowed to make 2300 on every car sold, plus a 2% dealerhold back, plus doc fee's adding up to as high as 600 dollars, plus add ons i dont want.. I dont get it. If you cant run a effective, cost effective business good bye then.. Do you feel bad or cheated when you buy a appliance on line that has no tax added on and del to your doorstep. very well knowing Best Buys sells that same item for 300 dollars more plus tax. doubt it highly. If you sell me a car for invoice price you just made your dealer hold back plus doc fee's and probably a nice incentive check for selling alot of cars in that quarter... If you sell in high volume.. I'm sick of seeing dealers working over people who have no clue how to buy a car. That is my gripe. And has been over 13 years in these forum. People rate car dealers on edmunds. go read some on them. folks talking about there buying experience at dealerships across the country. Then you could get back to me why i'm not allowed to get my lowest price.. dont want to piss karen off so mr arizona .. i disagree with you on pricing and i'm not mad . i have no problems when i purchase. dont take advantage of people like alot of these dealers are doing. it not nice.. good talk

• saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    I'm done with this forum .
    Good luck to you all .
    Steve
  • wds1wds1 Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2012
    Thanks to all for your responses. It definitely makes me want to hold out for a better price. I am still in negotiation mode and will report back when I have a figure that seems decent.
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    If you don't mind the drive I suggest you check the San Antonio dealers, ESP Gunn Honda. Usually more competitive than the Austin dealers.
  • agie95agie95 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry just getting back to you. The price does include the destination price. The price does not include tax, hence + TTL. Taxes are dependent on several things like value of trade-in if you have one. I purchased from Bankston in Lewisville. Note that I went to dealer with a price from a membership program and told them they needed to beat it including my trade-in.

With no options? Honda basically does not sell with options. There are the items that the dealer adds on, that I do not know if they will take off once on the car.
  • themoleculomanthemoleculoman Member Posts: 3
    This forum has convinced me never to buy a Honda. Thank you ArizonaHonda1, you are an excellent salesman.

"Treat us as humans and we all will be happy." - l m a o. I read the article from I believe this website regarding the reporter than went undercover working for three different car sales companies, and...lets just say, maybe you should think about treating your customers as humans instead of attempting to get as much money out of them as possible. If people don't educate themselves on large purchases costing tens-of-thousands of dollars then maybe they don't deserve pity, but for a shill to come online and complain about educated customers getting the best deal possible...hilarious. I'm guessing half, if not more, of the people you sell to end up buying what they can't afford so you can afford your mortgage.
    Thankyou to the prior post very well said ...It is just unbelieveable how many bad Dealerships across this country there are.. People work very hard to pay 30 to 40 k on a new car, Alot of Honda Dealerships think they deserve to make 3 to 4 Thousand on each car is absurd... I have said my peace on this subject and will move on.. ... All folks that are trying to buy a new Accord please post the Dealerships Name and City that your in with your experience and price your getting... It will help others determine the better dealerships with price info and when to buy. I will be posting in here in jan 2013 with my buying experience and price in the new york/ new jersey area

• thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    I've owned a lot of Honda Accords over the years, each year it improves. Currently own a '11 Accord EXL Navi. I'm curious to know how much improvement there is on the noise/ride in the 2013's. I have not driven one yet. Might trade around the end of the year.
  • london7london7 Member Posts: 1
    Test drove the 2013 Accord LX CVT today. Liked the ride, better I feel than the 2012 Camry. Good exceleration when merging onto freeway. Parking the car using the backup camera was an interesting experience, had to get out of the car a few times to confirm that the camera was putting me in the spot correctly and not too close. Got confused and lost with all the options that use the dash display screen. I would have to "qualify" myself on all the functions so I can make changes while driving otherwise, it would be too distracting and frustrating.

My biggest disappointment and probably why I will not buy the car was the discomfort I experienced because of the headrest. After driving for about a hour and 40KM, my neck and shoulders were very sore because the angle of the head rest pushed my head forward and despite the power seat adjustments, I could not find a position that was comfortable.
  • axecaponeaxecapone Member Posts: 2
    Hey folks,

I am looking to buy a 2013 accord and I find this forum to be one of the best places to buy the car. I live in South Bay (San Francisco area) and I don't see too many people here on this forum who have bought a 2013 Accord. So I am looking forward to knowing the price people are paying here.

Additionally I had a fundamental question.

What are good sources of invoice price? truecar.com shows 2013 Accord Sport sedan has invoice price of 23171 but aol autos claims it is 21409. Yahoo auto has no information. So I am a little confused here.

Also FYI I don't know people have explored google's new product named google cars (google.com/cars). It shows a value called "Regional price paid". If its accurate, its very useful information but it still needs some work (For example, the sport model is not even listed there.)