Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 28100
    why did you pay the 299 service fee (doc) when it is completely optional in your state?

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/#comment-53152
  • wiphillyfan1wiphillyfan1 Member Posts: 10
    Oh, appreciate the info - was not aware it was optional. Will be sure to consider this next time.
    Still a decent deal overall! Enjoy your car...
  • gee22gee22 Member Posts: 82
    Optional, like you can decline to pay it after you negotiated the deal? I don't think so.
    I know there are different state laws governing doc fees, but your sales order that the sales manager signed probably included the the fee in writing. If your state allowed you to negotiate the doc fee away, the sales manager may not have signed off on the purchase price of the car. He was okay with the price you negotiated with the salesman knowing you are also paying another $299 so I think you did just fine.
    edited January 2013
    There is a difference between knowing the fee is optional BEFORE you negotiate the final deal and just assuming it is something you have to pay. Dealers are not stupid; they will take advantage of ignorance.

Here in Ohio, the state sets a MAXIMUM doc fee of $250. Most dealerships pre-print that $250 doc fee on the paperwork and say that the state mandates it, which is BS. Very few consumers take the time to research the doc fee issue (except brian125, et al) before making a final deal.

It sux to post on this board AFTER you make a deal and then find out you MAY have paid too much. It happens all the time. Read some of my past posts if you don't agree. In the previous guy's case (wiphillyfan1), he still got a decent deal so he should not fret about it and just enjoy his new ride...
    But you are stating that he definitely overpaid by $299. How can you come up with that conclusion. You have him thinking that once he negotiated his deal, he could have opted out of paying the $299. Yes, he could have negotiated a zero doc fee initially but I bet his negotiations for the purchase price would have gone differently. Hey, once I negotiate my deal, I'll be happy to pay another $500 in doc fees if they'll take $600 more off the price of the car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you saying that once they agreed on the deal, he could have paid $299 less by simply saying he wants opt out of the doc fee. If that's not the case, you didn't express it clearly.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited January 2013
    Good points . both you guys. alot of people do not know about these doc fee's .. Are they legit and can you get them removed.. Alot of people think they make a great deal on there vehicle and boom... there is that doc fee charge for 300 to 600 hundred on that bill of sale.. all that good work taken back. if you agree to it... Dealers are getting hip to pricing from the internet . Dealers are not making as much per car. I like gee's point.. if the dealer you are negotiating with knows you wont pay doc fee's/ tell him to reduce the sale of car to adjust for his high doc's.... you then are getting a different number from the dealer most likely not as low .. Thats why i always say target high volume dealerships first before the smaller guys that sell cars. for Every 50 dealerships maybe 10 are good

Another point you should know every dealerships doc fee's before you start your negotiations.. If dealership wont remove doc's you add that number to the sale of the car... and make your best deal. If you go thru alot of these forums almost everybody is paying dealers doc fee's. Dealers have seem to pull this slimy new profit tactic off. Even thou each state has put a cap on what they could charge .This Does not make it legal..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

When buying by Phone or Online trying to get your best price. This question has to be asked to the Manager or internet mangr.. Not the salesman

Will your dealership remove the doc fee's to earn my business.
    If its No... then add his doc fee's to your meet my price i buy now..

Brian

edited January 2013
    For those whining about my previous posts:

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- - - - lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/#comment-53152

Knowledge is power; dealers will try to maximize their profit (not a bad thing). Consumers job is to get a fair deal. In many states, doc fees are a dealer add-on item just like pinstriping and undercoating were years ago. Be informed or risk overpaying.

this horse is dead; soap box withdrawn!
  • stlbluesstlblues Member Posts: 2
    West County Honda.

Got the same impression that Sport inventory was low at the time in the area.

Good luck!
  • 1sebringnow1sebringnow Member Posts: 136
    Truecar.com is true rip off dot com! Sure they give you info on what doc fee's are, but their prices given do not include area discounters. They used to show the actual prices paid by the consumer, but due to dealerships and the auto industry in general giving them grief about it, the woosey CEO wrote to a trade publication auto magazine a year ago, telling the dealers they would no longer give out all prices. The result? Prices quoted are often $1,500 higher than what you could get if you were able to see what savvy consumers are actually are paying. Even Consumer Reports is getting dupped, used this now scummy operation (TRUECAR) to help consumers. Use the internet, get as many quotes as possible - even outside your area. Don't let the auto industry extract any more cash out of your wallet so the CEO's can make millions duping you. If every buyer went on this site and disclosed their purchases - the people would finally have the power to save thousands. Good luck with your Honda Purchase and never ever use Fake (TRUECAR) - my opinion of course and thank god for 1st amendment rights!
    I agree that truecar was too good to be long-lasting. Now it sux.
    Check this web site out:
    http://www.realcartips.com/
    I have just started looking at it weekly. The guy recommends carwoo as a good buying tool. Have not tried that yet as i am too early in my buy/lease process.
    Not an endorsement; just info
    edited January 2013
    On feb, 17,2012
    Massachusetts Consumer affairs did a survey with over 200 dealerships asking them if they charged doc fee's, the amount and what they are for..
    Here is the conclusion. Many of the dealerships reason for the fee's were questionable and literally made up " Claimed the Consumer Affairs Bureau."

Reasons ranged from a 9/11 security fee to storing documents for 8 yrs to downtown crossing to paying Insurance agents.
    Bottom line: Doc fee's are not a required charge on the bill of sale . Its just dealership Profit.. That were all paying and not fighting ..

What a bunch of B.S.
    I agree alot with the above poster. By gathering as much info and forums like this is the best way to find or get your best car price.
    True car holds no value to me, Costco programs Etc..
    Here is the bottom line on car buying and my Ist Amend rights of Observation.
    AS long as there are misinformed and stupid people and there car buying ways . Dealerships will always benefit and find new ways to profit off us.

Perfect Example DOC FEE'S.

Brian

• akireakire Member Posts: 3
    2013 Accord EX-L V6

27965 Vehicle
    600 Doc Fee
    1770 FL Tax
    200 Title+Reg
    30535 OTD
    Dealer sold you vehicle for $320 below invoice. You overpaid on doc fee's. Florida has very high doc fee's.. That raised your sale price to $280 above dealers invoice plus taxes etc..
    Enjoy your new Accord.

• busunclebusuncle Member Posts: 18
    Is this guy real?

I'll never share my price here with this guy trolling. Goodness gracious.
  • amg5872amg5872 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all. I bought a 2013 Accord Sport 6-spd today and just thought I would share my deal since I found these forums helpful. Here are the numbers:

Mungenast Honda in St. Louis
    MSRP $24,180
    Sale Price $22,598 (includes trunk cargo tray)
    Doc Fee $199
    APR 2.46%

I don't think I got bottom dollar but the 6-spd is very hard to find around here so I wemt ahead and pulled the trigger. Good luck all. Thanks.
  • eka1eka1 Member Posts: 41
    Seriously Brian
    Don't u have anything better to do? Don't bring down people and tell them they overpaid, u got ripped off so on and so forth. Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • srik1srik1 Member Posts: 6
    This is a great place. I have got so much useful information.
    I have these 2 quotes (best of the 10 quotes).
    24900 (includes Dest) + 200 doc + 6.9% tax + Title etc (MO dealer)
    25900 (includes Dest) + 200 doc + 4.2% tax + Title etc - (overall 300 expensive than above quote, because of lesser tax for out of state purchase - IL)

I searched this forum and did not find EX-L I4 No Nav prices in Jan, after the year end deals.
    Is this a good price, or should I wait till the month end ?
    edited January 2013
    Prior post Asked if they got a good deal. I answered them. Maybe you think paying 600 dollars on top of your deal for paper work is fair i dont.

I see you had no problem asking forum members if you recieved a good price and deal on a 2011 Camry. Maybe you should get a life!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you in Honda forum??????????????

• sarahww2sarahww2 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    made the purchase this Sat. the dealership is in MD close to DC area, but i register in VA( that's why tax for purchase car 3%)

OTD 21350 (didnt add anything additional, very very basic LX)

is this good deal?

first thought i feel its very good deal, but now i feel actually its just an OK deal...any thoughts?
    Sara
    You should share the Dealership and State you purchased so other forum members could decide if you recieved a good deal.

oh, the dealership is in MD area, but i register in VA( that's why tax for purchase car 3%)
  • mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    can you give us the exact breakdown of the price + dest, all the fees, etc.

Please share the dealer's name as it seems a good price over all, thanks and enjoy your ride.
  • austin198austin198 Member Posts: 23
    2013 Honda Accord Sport $22,500, plus $75.00 doc fee and plsu TTL, could not get them to budge any lower or throw in any accessories, not even $36 wheel locks. I can not for the life of me see how others got some of the deals they were discussing on this forum, some saying as little as 20,922, 21,700, 22150, etc....these are all prices including doc fees and destination charges. 20,922 seems impossible, but 21,700 does not seem credible either. I can't fathom that someone purchased this car for over $1,600 less then my price which is already at 400 under invoice with $75 doc fee. This is at Paragon Honda by the way. Salesman said "I promise you the price won't go lower on the last day of the month" Any comments/suggestions/opinions?
    I requested a couple of email quotes from a few dealers today. to see what the area pricing is at the moment.. Paragon gave me a quote Online for $ 507 below invoice. I asked for a EXL v-6 model. I would think if your buying a Sport dealers have less on there lots and there for are not willing to give as much off as the other models. Once again you have to stop dealing with the salesman. Do your leg work online speaking with dealerships internet dept. I prefer to talk directly with the manager. Auto sports quote was $601 below.
    Get a Online Hassel free quote from Anderson honda. post back price .

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Are you talking about a manual or a CVT. In any case, that sounds like a good price on a great car.

Don't get too tied up on matching prices elsewhere that might not even be real.

My 2 cents: Once you get a good deal on a great car, then go home happy and drive the heck out of the car.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • billartbillart Member Posts: 14
    Your MO price looks great! last month I got the EX-L I4 no nav for $25840, incl dest., dealer/doc fees & some add ons (mud flaps, striping, nitrogen, wheel locks & wheel well trim), plus TTL, in FL. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 prices that have beaten mine, but I'm uncertain if any have beaten yours. I'd jump on it! Helluva deal!
    Sorry that was for a 2013 Accord Sport CVT (Auto Transmission), of which the salesperson said there were few left. No accessories, I can buy them from collegehillshonda online
    edited January 2013
    car price 19606.6
    destination fee 790
    tax (3%) 617.9
    dealer processing charge 200
    title etc 135.5

OTD 21350

I feel its just an OK price, may have few hundreds room lower...but i have already closed the deal...so...any thoughts?
  • johngf1johngf1 Member Posts: 37
    Don't believe them - buy at end of month for best deals. go to 4-5 dealers in one day and tell them you will buy in the next 2 days for the best price. I beat Smithtown, Babylon Levittown price by over 1000 on my '10 accord coupe. Try Huntington @ end of month. Better in my pocket than some b.s.er or his manager. BTW - don't let them waste your time - just cut to the chase and get to the bottom line. They try to were you out!
    Good luck
  • rajbhairajbhai Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    I am planning to buy Accord CVT sport this weekend. I am in Dover, NH and this is my first car.
    After negotiating with a few dealers in area, I have got an OTD price from a dealer as $22,000 (car Price)+ $247 (dealer admin fee)
    i.e. $22,247 in total.
    Is this a good price, as factory invoice is $22,929?
    Shall I go for $22,247?
  • raven84raven84 Member Posts: 2
    2013 Accord EX-L I4 (No Nav) -Basque Red
    Jan 22, 2013
    pls help...to know if its a good deal

I have these 1 quotes which is best of almost 9 quotes

$25,600 (includes Dest) + 499 doc + 8.1% tax + Title etc

I searched this forum and did not find EX-L I4 No Nav prices in Jan, after the year end deals.

Is this a good price, or should I wait till the month end ?
    REF: 28134
    Thanks for posting BEFORE you made a deal!
    what state are you in? Doc fee seems high to me;
    Price is similar to weymouth:
    http://www.weymouthhonda.com/newcars/2013/Accord%20Sedan/EX-L/#Pricing_Inventory-

Doc fee reference info by state:
    http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/#comment-53152

Good luck...
    IMHO, Is very good as I saw a similar price at the end of last month in MD too. I think he paid more due to his tax rate being 6% but considering that this car just came out and all is a very good price, so be happy u did well. Down the road there will be better prices but for now if not the best on an lx is very very close.

Please share the dealer's name and location thanks and enjoy.
    Does anybody knows what is weymouth's doc fees? Thanks
    Suggest you check with your accountant. States have Sales and Use Taxes. I would think that the out of state dealer would not charge you any sales tax and you would pay a use tax to your state when you register the car. Can't believe MO would forgo their tax.
    edited January 2013
    Most Out of State dealers will add your States sales tax rate on the buyers order. i buy alot of cars out of state from N.Y.

Weymouth honda doc fee's are $239 they wont remove fee's

Just curious Brian, is this Weymouth dealer some sort of "Fitzmall" Version of Honda? Where there is no room to negotiate and they give u a decent price without the haggle and hassle, thanks.
  • srik1srik1 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the responses.

The Department collects taxes when an applicant applies for title on a motor vehicle regardless of the purchase date, as follows:
    Unit sold by a Missouri dealer – state sales tax and local sales tax.
    Unit sold by an out-of-state dealer or by any individual (whether a Missouri or out-of-state individual) – state use tax and local option use tax if the applicant's city or county imposes a local option use tax. The sale of the unit is not subject to local sales tax.
    State tax is 4.225% - have to pay for any dealer.
    Local tax is 2.7%, is not imposed by my county for out of state dealer. Saving of $675 on $25000.
    I checked with the DMV in person and confirmed this part.
    Yes. The 2 best dealerships on the East Coast as far as pricing are Weymouth. and Anderson in M.D. Dealerships like these might knock off a few more dollars off there already lowest price. I Plan on finding out this month, The smaller guy can sweeten the deal by throwing in some extra's to keep you from traveling.. Its all a matter of preference.

All the other dealerships in between may come within 400 or 500 hundred but from what ive been reading on this board with dealers high doc fee's nobody seems to be getting a better price than the big 2 are quoting online hassle fee.

So are you willing to travel 3 or 4 hours to save 500 maybe more .. Is it worth it. what do you think.

If that is the case you should never buy another car in your state . How about on your personal income tax did you check into that???.. New york is to slick for that. Good job on that posting

22,000 for an Accord Sport CVT?! That's almost 3k off list?!

Awesome price. Buy it.

Hope I can do that well.
    Imho that's a good price on an all-new car that's getting rave reviews.

My 2 cents: buy it, and don't worry if somewhere someone got it for a little less.
  • kram12kram12 Member Posts: 2
    I,m in NJ and got an email today from a dealership stating theyould get me out the door for under $20,500. Might pay to shop around or make a few calls
  • rajbhairajbhai Member Posts: 2
    I go to NJ every weekend. I should buy from the NJ dealer then. Could you tell me the dealer name?
    Kram
    put a dealers name to that email you recieved. Bottom line 2013 CVT sport Auto is .....22,929 invoice with dest charge 790.
    There is no dealership in this country that will sell you a sport model for below 1k of the invoice price on that model... Maybe by summer time with incentives and support from honda corp.. My best guess on price here on the East Coast is

400 to 800 below dealers invoice then paying doc fee's on top of that price.
    Its all a game... Jersey will sell lower on invoice but recoups with high doc's fee's of 300 to 400 dollars..
    NY doc 75... prior post from paragon they went 400 below . Do the math they all stick together pretty close in pricing.

edited January 2013
    If you are buying this month you have to figure out a price and email every dealer the last day of Jan. be aware of every dealers doc fee's. Tell each dealer meet my price i buy now. Your New jersey price offerings has to be lower than New york dealerships due to doc fee's charges . Email as many dealers as you want and how far your willing to travel. If nobody meets your price

make your best deal out of the dealerships you email and enjoy your new car or
    Wait til President Weekend... prices would be alot better maybe as much as 500

edited January 2013
    Does anyone read the prior posts? This forum is to inform and helps others who are looking to purchase a new Honda Accord. If you claim you have this incredible deal for $2,000 less than my good deal and for $2,500 under invoice, then post the name of the dealership and breakdown the costs/doc fees, etc..... You aren't the same guy who is dating a Victoria Secret model yet none of your friends, family or coworkers have ever seen you with her? If you purchase this car for $20,500 OTD, I promise I will make your first three months payments. It makes it very difficult to measure how good of a deal can be had, when posters who are either grossly misinformed, naive or both, post unrealistic numbers on this board. Please post dealers name and breakdown of all costs before taxes, local DMV fees and post the dealers doc fees.
  • faceofboefaceofboe Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    First, I've been told that I don't get a sales tax credit on my trade-in (purchased and in my name) when I am trading in towards a leased car. Only one dealer has said that. Everyone else says that I will get credit. Can someone please give me a definitive answer on this please? :confuse:

It has been great to see all these deals, so I'll post my offer in San Antonio. Appreciate any helpful comments. I plan to lease, but Honda doesn't seem to have a deal on the EX (that I know of) only the LX model.

2103 Accord EX
    MSRP $26,195
    Selling Price $23,796
    Accessories $439 (Window tint for Texas heat)
    Total Price Including $24,235
    State Sales Tax $1,569
    Inventory Tax $58
    License, Title, etc $126
    Doc Fee $125
    Total Price Including Accessories $26,114
    Deposit $0
    Amount To Finance/Lease $26,114