Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Quantity talks guys. In January, the Camry still handily beat the Accord in sales (By at least 7000 units). If Honda has any hope of wrestling that coveted best selling car in America title from Toyota, they better bring in some good rebates. Good for us folks who want an Accord but are in no hurry! :shades:
  • zillzill Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I was in need of a car and bought the Accord EX-l 4 CYL from Willett Honda, Marrow GA yesterday for 26,985 (no accessories)

Here is the prices break down.

$24,600 (Including destination) + $599 (dealer fee) + TTL = $26,985

The dealer suggested the extended warranty for $1500 and Gap insurance for $750, which i declined. I thought it was easy transaction.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    mike
    The Garmin gps are much better. I agree. i should consider exl v6. My youngest daughter finishes college in a year. i plan on surprising her with this car.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• jjjaymmmanjjjaymmman Member Posts: 43
    I was so close to getting a Camry but I'm so happy I did not. One thing I love about the accord is when I get a text and the car reads it to me! Also, I did not care for the navi version of either vehicle and choose to stick with my cell (but I am considering a newer Garmin with lifetime map upgrades and hands free navigation). The interior of the Camry was weak in comparison to the accord and I though the seats in the camera were not as comfortable. Finally, since I got a zero % financing for 60 mos on the accord with an OTD price of $29k, the Camry could not come close. Accord EX-L V6 (winner).
  • mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    Was the 0% through Honda or a credit union? Is it something u specially qualified due to being a college graduate or military? Or they just gave it to u due to your good credit? Let me know how u got it because I don't think that anybody else got such a low financing so far, thanks.
  • michaelvoxmichaelvox Member Posts: 25
    I bought the Nuvi 2555LMT (lifetime Maps and Traffic). It was under $200. I'm a longtime Garmin user (this would be my third unit), and there are some things to remember:

1) I don't care about bluetooth because my phone goes to my car now;
    2) I DON'T use the Garmin for traffic. I mean, it comes on, but I don't trust it. Everyone within the sound of my voice should go download WAZE for their phone. You see actual people actually on the roads and how fast they're going. Garmin traffic doesn't stand a chance. So had this unit not had traffic, I wouldn't have cared.
    3) This particular unit doesn't have voice control. It's not something I want.

I bought it due to its large screen (I'm not getting any younger), and the "auto-fill-in" of addresses.

Michael.
    All good points
    My 4 garmins have the voice command and the 5' screen. The Garmin blows away the Nav in my X-5. The back up camera is nice feature in the truck but not a selling point with me. The only reason i bought truck with Nav system was Price and only X5 with Color choice from dealer.

• miteshonlmiteshonl Member Posts: 12
    Did any one get a great deal in 2013 Honda Lx 2013? Kindly share the dealer name and OTD prize for LX model. Last day of Jan, I got a deal for $20500 with remote start and doc fees but I was asking for 20k. Its peters honda Nasua.

I am not in hurry to buy so I should wait till President day.

No body is offering lather seat in less than $1000.
    edited February 2013
    You should consider Weymouth honda in M.A. there right in your back yard. maybe a 1 hour car ride.
    Herb Chambers is also high volume and has 4 locations thru out M.A.

edited February 2013
    I am military but this was not a factor for the 0% financing. Also my credit is good and I actually was pre-approved for the vehicle @ 1.99% using my bank. I kept haggling with the sales rep over the price and he would not budge on giving me an OTD price of $28,500 (no taxes for me being military and a Washington resident). When he asked if I would take 0% finance for 60 mos for $29K through Honda Financing I instantly agreed (savings of about $1,500).

The best part after I agreed to Accord price was when I offered my trade-in, which originally I told him I was not. It was a 07 Jetta I paid $8k for 3 years ago with a trade in value of $5k (there was no way it was worth close to that with the transmission problems I was having). I pushed to make the deal that I needed $6K (owed $4K) which he finally agreed after I walked out the door and he called me while I was on my way home.

I turned around, signed the papers @ 1030pm on a saturday night and financed the $27K for 60 mos with a straight principle payment of $450 a month. No extended warranty or Gap insurance. Came with all the standard options, aquapel, tire lock, tinted windows, ect. Accord EX-L V6 no Navi. overall I'm very happy about the deal.
    $26,985 OTD, That's a good deal for an I4. Did that include a trade-in for that price or was that just for the vehicle?
    Michael and Brian you both have some great input. Since the GPS is for the wife, I'm going to see if she likes the voice control or not. The lifetime map alone is worth the investment. Thanks.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    When comparing Camry sales to Accord sales, it has to be remembered that Toyota sells huge qualities of Camrys to the rental car companies and Honda does not.

These cars are dumped en masse at the auctions around 18 months later which really hurts the resale vcalues compared to Hondas.

This really inflates Toyota's sales numbers.
    Check out the Garmin Nuvi Lm50 for just under 200 dollars that model offers a 5 inch screen, voice prompts, 3d picture and lane guidance with arrows directing you. Like Mike was saying in prior post... If your not connecting blue tooth why spend the extra.

well, whatever did the trick, it was well worth the late night hours that day.
    0% on the new 2013 i dont i have seen it. I know there is a military discount through honda of $500 now, but the 0% is definetlly a great deal.

Thanks for your reply. I have good credit so, i just hope to bump into that deal when i get mine, good luck and enjoy your ride!
    Brian, I totally agree with you because the accord already has the Bluetooth and it works great! I was only considering a gps unit with Bluetooth if I could get one for $200 to 220 to be able to use it in my other vehicle that does not have Bluetooth (kinda using it as a mobile unit). But if the price is way more, then I probably wouldn't consider it.

Honestly, it's not a major concern at this point because realistically I really would only use it a few times a year while traveling. Providing I'm not using my cell phone nav which is why I didn't want to invest $2K more in the accord. The wife doesn't think we need it anyway and would rather I spend the money on getting her a new phone. This is more of a want versus a need (boys with their toys) for me.
    JaY
    Just want to thank you for your Service to this Country. May God bless you and keep you safe.

brian

• alcapalcap Member Posts: 82
    Hello all,

I wanted anybodys input on if this deal is possible. I am in NJ and looking for EX-L V6 Coupe putting no money down sign & drive finance 72 months at 400.00 per month. So far quoted 385 per month w/ 3,000 down & 440 per month sign and drive. I feel there room for more. What does anyone think???
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    Honda won't give the Military Rebate if you are retired. I've called & called, they refuse. I call it discrimination. They say Sorry.
    In all of the years I was with Honda, I NEVER heard of a Military Rebate!

Is this something new?

Ex Army guy.
    What???? I did not have the honor to serve, but I tell u what it is outrageous and totally unfair if u ask me. Sorry for those that fall under this category. Maybe a letter to Honda will help, just a thought, but is definitely unfair as unfair can possibly be.

Gob bless you all for your service and time and I hope that rule changes.

And I do understand that they set the rules and what not, but, in this very specific case, it shouldn't matter, they should do it just to honor those that server or have served, period.

:(
    http://autos.aol.com/cars-Honda-Accord-2013/incentives/

I bumped into it yesterday is at aol.com, it says that it expires on 3/31/13
  • hosohoso Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    ...and I like to really get a good deal when car shopping. There are plenty of buyers who do nothing but pay invoice or higher and that's where the dealerships make their money. The net has killed a lot of the sales tricks that isellhonda used to retire ;-) but still in person the dealerships know that a lot of people are not comfortable with negotiation.

Now as far as the vehicle, the 2013 Accord is a great car (for a mid-size sedan), and holds it's resale well. It's a great car to lease. And because Honda is always pressured by Toyota who likes to give away the Camry, and because it's a volume seller, you can always get great deals. Below Truecar for sure. I would say by the end of February if you are not getting 1k below invoice on an Accord, you just aren't even trying.

And I'm ok with then letting the dealership then make a few bucks on adding leather or something like that. Just remember that the dealership doesn't take negotiation personally, so you shouldn't either.

Have fun! :D
    That's something new! Good for them!
    You know....

Honda does something to support our troops yet they can't win!?

You think it's "outrageous and totally unfair" because they didn't include anyone who ever served in the military??

I don't think it's unfair at all and I DID serve.

If I was Honda I would feel like I had been slapped in the face.

But, that's me...
    Question for you....

WHY would ANY merchant sell ANYTHING just to lose money especially if the item in question is a strong seller?

I just don't understand, that's all.
    I would have to type a page to perhaps a book to make my point a little more clear. But, I don't have the time and this is not the forum to do so.

Anyway, is just my personal opinion and nothing else.
    Well you would have to ask your sales manager about that ;-). Although you know the answer already. Because the merchant still makes money, of course.

I imagine that there aren't many times when a dealer sells a vehicle at true cost. End of month, end of year....even then there are are holdbacks, doc profits, add-on profits etc.

If you sell 90% of your cars at a profit, and 10% at breakeven, the dealership still makes $.

So why do they sell honda's at 1k under invoice or more? Because they can ;-)
    edited February 2013
    Today sales people are on little salary. Some may be getting as little as 100 dollars per car sold. With incentives and bonuses if you could sell 25 to 40 cars a month you might do okay. Otherwise the fat cats/ upper management / owners are making the dough. I'm sure the ratio of profit to break even on cars is very lopsided. Sansone auto mall in N.J. is a perfect example. The old man has his own private Jet. Filthy rich. Not only is he miserable with all that money his own son wont speak to him any more. Try buying a car at that dirt bag dealership..Sansone will rob you blind if your not smart.. i have no love loss for most of these dealerships. dealers like to prey on the weak and misinformed making money hand over fist..

• darrin8darrin8 Member Posts: 14
    Brian, originally typed in but scratched out and hand written in for what i negotiated. The wife and I were looking at the sport models but I was not going to pass up the deal on the touring. The touring only gives you led head lights, acc which is nice. I with the other guys you can get a better GPS but the voice commands on this one work really well.
    Good luck
    edited February 2013
    1st Thank you Brain and all that support the military as well as all who have served.

2nd, I think prior military deserves the same opportunities as active/reserve and 1st responders (police, fireman, ect) in terms of a discount (viewed as a honor). Our veterans have paved the way for us to follow and I thank you for your service!

3rd, if I had to repeat my 18 years of service knowing the time lost with my family, missed holidays, and the loss of dear friends I'd do it all over again! Why? For the honor and respect to be an American soldier, fighting for who we are as a nation with the freedom and liberty to be AMERICANS.

Oh, if I could make one simple change today, I'd bring back the pledge of allegiance in schools. Not for religious or political reasons, just as a custom to American pride and respect as a united nation.
  • augcarbuyeraugcarbuyer Member Posts: 18
    This is the trick dealers usually play. The reality is 1. dealers will never tell you the true price point where they make or lose money and 2. no one is forcing them to sell the car at any price. On the contrary, when they are saying this, most likely they are trying very hard to sell you the car.

Someone was asking earlier what is the reasonable amount of profit a dealer should make on each car. I'd say it all depends on the market. If there is a hot car selling at MSRP everywhere, you just have to pay at that level. In other situations, dealers make money because customers don't have all the price information.

Generally speaking, buyers should call or request quotes from a few dealerships from a wide region just to feel the market. My experience is that dealerships located farther from downtowns or population centers are usually cheaper because of lower land costs and possibly lower labor costs. Also, this forum is a good starting point for feeling the market too. I got very helpful tips about what price I should be looking at on this forum.
    I really do appreciate all of the comments and "expert" advice here and I'm off to do my volunteer work feeling so happy to be retired, still have my health and no longer having to deal with miserable grinders who seem to feel that a car dealership is somehow evil and undeserving of a profit.

I do miss my co workers and the dealership management and my wonderful loyal customers who weren't afraid they just might pay a dollar more than someone else did.

Thanks!
    Great post augcarbuyer! There is no doubt consumer knowledge is power, research, research, research will give you the edge. I to love to play the game and I have always made out on used cars. New vehicles are some what difficult however, the consumer can still maintain the upper hand. Here is a what I usually do. Sorry this message is long but it may be worth it for some of you.

Before going into the dealership:
    1st I get pre-approved for a vehicle which most banks will honor for 30 to 60 days. 2nd control your emotions. 3rd plan to purchase as close to the end of the month as possible. 4th like another person has posted in here, have as much statistical data (accurate) for your region. 5th if you are going to trade in a vehicle use NADA trade in value report to check what it is worth (not KBB).

When you are ready to buy:
    If you have a trade-in do not let the salesman know this up front, especially if you know it's value and you have equity in it. If asked, just say I don't have a trade (you'll see why later). Also, if asked where you want to be as far as payments tell them you are already pre-approved and this is not a concern (it is very important to not let them in on any of this info). And, show up at the dealership about an hour before closing time, that's usually when the eager salesman who is struggling that month will be the one who approaches you.

During the negotiations:
    Drive this price down as much as possible, the OTD (out the door price). Many times the will have someone else show you numbers in an effort to loose you, all you care about is the OTD. If you get the number you are looking for, start adding bonuses. For example, tell them this will include tinted windows, 1st three oil changes, cargo net, maybe even a spoiler; you'll be surprised what they will give you when it's late at night. This is exactly what I did on the accord I just purchased. But the game keeps going...

Once I squeezed out as much as I could, I asked if they had any special financing regardless that they know I'm pre-approved (which I really was); provided you have excellent credit and can afford another credit inquiry. I pushed and got zero % for 60 months which required the dealership to buy down the loan. To do so however, I had to come up $500 on the OTD price (after squeezing all the extras and the fact I was going to save thousands in interest this was awesome). I had them print me out a buyers order to see the final numbers which had to be the OTD price we agreed to (don't sign this just yet). Then i had them fill out a "we owe" with all the bonuses we discussed. Last thing I did was bring up the trade-in.

Trade-in negotiations:
    I new I only owed $4k and the NADA was only $5k which is exactly what the dealership offered me. I told them I needed $7k to make this happen. Yes, the dealership was getting frustrated and it was now 10pm on a Saturday and 2 hours after closing. We finally agreed to $6k. Knowing I'd be lucky to sell the vehicle on craigslist for about $2k I took the deal. The best part about all this, they NEVER test drove my vehicle. They did the another buyers order after calling my bank for a payoff; seeing the salesman's face was classic when he realized I got another $2k in my favor. This was all strictly business and I love my new Accord EX-L V6.
    edited February 2013
    What interest rate are you getting offered alcap?
    Any salesperson worth his salt can smell your "hidden trade" a mile away. Why lie? That tactic only sets a bad tone.

What else is this guy lying about?

Never try to outsmart an expert who deals with people like yourself on a daily basis.
    In response to "isellhondas":

You keyed in on "any salesman worth his salt" which makes the point that they are not all experts. Additionally, I was an Air Force recruiter for 4 years and I did receive training in sales (very extensively). You quoted "people like myself"; well not everyone has a background in sales. It's also obvious that you too have sales training and may in fact be an expert. The simple point was that customers can maintain control of the sale which is exactly what I did.

If you choose to compare the honesty of a recruiter to a car salesman that's fine but I have nothing to hide or lie about here. I gain nothing by passing along this info to give a customer an upper hand. I'm not getting a commission.

As I stated originally, this was just business and it worked out for me. It's not a bad tactic and it does in fact work; call it tools of the trade. Keep in mind that salesman perfect their skills for their gain and customers protect their wallet.
    Truth be told is that this forum is called "Honda prices paid and buying experience". One of the goals is to get an idea how much are people paying for the car that you are looking for and learn from other people's experiences (whether good or bad). Get as much information as possible about the car u are buying and hopefully make and informed decision.

In addition, must of us, would make sure our credit is perfect before we buy. Then we get pre-approved to avoid being on the spot the day of the purchase. We read, read and read. Some of us would have a spread sheet to see the prices paid during a period of time and where those people bought their car from and how was their experience when buying from those dealerships. I can go on and on, but the bottom line I think that most of us are putting a lot of time and effort to get a decent end result = a good and affordable price for a big purchase and “long term investment”. I could say that we put a lot more time and effort than the average buyer; wouldn’t IsellHonda agree that perhaps we deserve that better price after all our effort?

And by the way, we are not “stealing” from the dealerships, we for the most part will get a long term loan that we are stuck paying for, but hopefully after doing our math, we are comfortable paying for on a monthly basis.

And the price of that car, is something we both agree to. So, no need to pretend here that dealerships are being victimized or being taken advantage of. Dealers always make profit or in very rare exceptions, they cut even.

They are not charitable institutions and every sales person is not Mother Theresa either. Not too many people can say that they worked for a dealership for many years. In fact, every time I do an oil change I can for the most part say I will see a bunch of new faces in the sales department.

I can only say that those that don’t agree or can not live with the fact that we put a decent and honest effort in to this process, are wasting their time monitoring what we say here.

For those that are afraid that we pay too little for a car, should also make sure that every time they pay for something in the store, or when the buy a house, or airplane ticket, etc, they pay the “sticker price” or close enough, so that everyone makes profit and no one winds up “grinding.” No coupons, sales, allowed for them :) .
    Amen brother!

Also, not every customer will do extensive research and that is on them. Dealerships know this and make great profits everyday.

I know if I were in the business of selling cars, I would not want certain information to be leaked out to the public because that would interfere with my salary. I get it. Hopefully, the salesman earns my respect and I may send others his or her way.

My salesman was respectful after all was said and done. I did refer a friend to him but he was not able to offer the same deal I received. Maybe this will change by the end of the month or maybe my tactics and timing worked for my advantage.

In the end, the customer should do all they can to save a buck or two; the salesman has the challenge of getting what they can. It's business, and that's the game!
    Let's put it this way: If you are not grinding on them, the "miserable" grinders in sales are grinding on you! :D

Besides I only spend 30 mins on it anyway. I give them a price, and if they don't say yes in 30 mins I'm out of there.

They always call me back and say yes later :P
    Yes, like I said, is all good business. In the past, I had been able to help some good friends getting a decent price or at least better than the price they would normally get.

But at the same time, I had other friends that asked me to help them, and ended up doing the easy thing for them. They went to their local dealer on an impulse driven day and got a car they were not even looking for, for thousands more that were added to the high interest loan they got from their family friendly dealership.

And then again, I am not victimizing or vilifying anyone, it was a deal that both the dealership and the person agreed to. So yes, putting some time and effort before you buy anything in life pays at the end.
    edited February 2013
    To "isellhondas",

Your loyalty to the car salesman is evident. If I retired from that profession I'd feel the same way; and cudo's to you for doing so well.

Your comment of "my wonderful loyal customers who weren't afraid they just might pay a dollar more than someone else did" further solidifies your interest and sales skills. If I didn't know better, I'd say this comment was a sales tactic for a customer to give away more money to a salesman and feel good about it. Heck, I'd say the same thing if I were working in that field.

But, I totally disagree with this tactic in this forum. I do not make it a secret that my opinion in this forum is solely for the customers advantage. Why don't you pass on the skills and expertise you would to one of your family member, or did they pay extra too?

I do agree with you that despite any ups or downs for any vehicle on the market that Honda does overall produce an excellent product. After months of research and comparing, I found the Accord V6 best suited my needs which may differ for others. Overall, price was right, options were excellent, and they hold their value well which is everything I was looking for.
    When you lie about having a trade and then coyly spring it on them your salesperson will quickly lose all respect for you.

I have no problem with customers looking for a great deal. My customers knew that I was on their side. It's the ones that would step over the line that I had no use for.

Funny...it really doesn't have to be a difficult process.
    What a lot of shoppers don't realize is the fact that the price can be a moving target. If a store has a huge inventory of V-6 Accords and a lot more in transit and nowhere to park them, of course, anything go's.

On the other hand, if there is little to zero inventory and the incoming pipeline is fairly empty, a store would be foolish to do a nothing deal.

People come to these forums and read about what one person in a differnt part of the country paid and assume they can do the same thing.

Maybe, maybe not. Also some of these so called "prices paid" may not be accurate when all is considered. Things like trade value, doc fee charges etc.
    TY, generally I'm not looking to buy a car and make a friend. If the salesman loses my respect I will not lose sleep over this.

It is my wallet that I am trying to protect.

This tactic has never failed me in the past and it usually throws off the salesman. I chosse to play my cards how I see fit. My money, my control. They do not have to accept the deal.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    We have a load of discussions about buying strategies...

This forum is to report specifics on shopping for a Honda Accord, and the price you paid..

Let's get back to it..

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rock49rock49 Member Posts: 5
    Paid $22,200 for the Sport before Tax/License
    Accessories included: mud guards, wheel locks, clear door protectors.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Great deal! 6MT or CVT?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • rock49rock49 Member Posts: 5
    CVT
    Great car .. Fun to drive, looks sharp, good mpg..
    I'm happy with the deal and car