Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• augcarbuyeraugcarbuyer Member Posts: 18
    If we are only talking the new car price and if the $23k includes destination fee, it is a good price. You are paying $1000 under invoice (cvt, I assume). Here in southern CA, most dealers quote me around $23,200 to $23,600, and I found it impossible to get them to lower price from their quotes.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2013
    Unless you are going to commit to buying at the time of your Negotiation and letting each dealer know before you make your offer price.. most dealers will not lower the price unless they know your buying it that moment.

This is the best and fastest way to find your lowest price and make your best deal.. Thats your leverage when negotiating. When you ask dealers to give you there lowest price 9x out of ten they wont give you there bottom line price. Especially in the beginning/ middle of any month. Price quotes Online.. dealers know you will use there online quotes to shop around.

Last 2 days or at quarters end is when you start to conduct your business on buying. Go visit, call or email as many dealerships the last day of this month and you will for sure know exactly what you could buy your model for this month in your area. I found out the nyc market jan 31 within 2 hours. You seem well capably to do it. Be ready to buy when your making your calls. Wont get any easier than this . Why step foot in the showrooms unless your doing research or test driving a vehicle.. Buy Online its stress free and will save you hours on end sitting in the showrooms watching the salesman and his manager hiding behind the curtain playing the powerful Oz game.. Happy hunting

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• augcarbuyeraugcarbuyer Member Posts: 18
    I was committed from day one. I had online quotes that are $1500 under invoice. Unfortunately that dealer didn't have the color I wanted at that moment. So I had to negotiate with other dealers. I tell you the week before this dealer finally had the car, I would be happy if I could get it for $23k which is $1000 under invoice. But no one would give me that price. I believe dealers have different costs and profit models. In other words, their bottom lines are truly different. Luckily for me, the dealer who gave me the lowest quote finally got the car I wanted and they stuck to the quote. So I am out of the hunt at least for now.
  • nipsternipster Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 2013 Accord EXL w/Navi on President's day in Northern VA (Hendricks).

$26,887 - included door edge guards, splash guards, cargo tray, and wheel locks.
    $499 - deal processing fee
    $913 - TTL (3% VA state tax & reg. title)
    = $28,299 OTD

Dealer included lifetime of limited powertrain warranty (can be serviced anywhere as long mechanic is ASE certified) & emission inspections. Used Consumer Report's buy program and shopped it to 3-4 dealers. CR's target price was of $27805 plus based on what I saw on this board, the price I paid seems good. Probably could've negotiated a couple of hundred dollars more but I was able to get the above done in less than 12 hours.

I've found this board to be a valuable resource and thus returning the favor. Hope this helps those that are currently shopping...
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Brian, I agree with you 100%, you get your best price when the dealer knows you are ready to buy, but how does the dealer know you are serious if it's all by email? That's why I still maintain you will get your best possible price (though that price will differ based on each person's negotiating skills) in person.
    btw, while shopping for my last two cars, I took along my Kindle and showed it to my salesman. Told him I would catch up on my reading while I waited for the sales manager. That put them on the defensive and I never waited more than two minutes to get feedback on an offer or a visit by a sales manager.
    I realize your credit rating is already low, but to protect it from going lower, I suggest you confirm with the leasing company that the dealer paid off your lease. You don't want to find out the dealer's accounting clerk is on maternity leave as your credit rating drops further.
  • shar992shar992 Member Posts: 2
    You have an absolutely excellent deal especially with the navi. While I had a decent invoice price, I had to pay for the assessories. He simply would not budge on throwing anything in including mats.

Part of the issue in my region (Long Island) is that cars are in high demand after the hurricane so we don't have as much room for negotiation as I feel other regions do. (sigh).

happy driving!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I think you probably did just fine.

Crosstours have been pretty much a flop for Honda and the market for used ones can't be strong. Nice cars but limited in utility and horrible rear vision.

Yeah, if you can throw some extra money at that balance once in awhile it'll help and doing so will REALLY help your credit score.
  • hondaccord09hondaccord09 Member Posts: 14
    $28,299 OTD is a great price. I don't think anyone will find this price is Maryland where the tax rate is a lot higher. I would say that if anyone can negotiate this same car down to below $29,000 OTD, that would be the price to beat!
  • ejakabejakab Member Posts: 20
    "Deal processing fee"? LOL.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited February 2013
    "Deal processing fee?"
    Yes, that is a special fee for the v4.

For the record, Virginia has NO cap or rules on doc fees. However, the average doc fee is 399...

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dea- lership-what-is-the-doc-fee/#comment-53152
  • jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
    Down hither it's called the bool kaka fee...
    No such thing as a "V-4" unless you are talikng about a 1960's Saab.

All four holes are in a straight line!
    All your emails are sent out on the last day of the month.
    Emails should say that if you will meet my offer price i will buy today with a credit card deposit.
    i like to speak directly to the Internet/ Sales manager. if we agree on price he then faxes to me the buyers order with all the vehicle info and price. Once you both sign buyers order...... its a legal document. You now pick up car when its ready from dealership and pay balance off when picking up car.
    This method does not work with a trade in or if you need dealer financing. Anyone i've helped buy this way in these forums the last 16 yrs will tell you that this is the fastest, easiest ,and stress free way of buying..

Brian, I agree with the technique on the last day of the month with no trade.

With a trade-in at the end of the month be ready to walk out and go to another dealer if the first one is not giving you the right price for the trade.
    " Stress free" ????????

The trouble is, any smart dealer won't give you a number to shop.

You are setting yourself up for a miserable experience this way and a lot of stores will really play games with you.

Our store NEVER gave a shopper a number to go shop.

Did we lose some business that way? No doubt.

Still, that store has been the number one volume Honda dealer in nine states for the past 33 years.

I know you are trying to be helpful but I will say, I never saw a LEGIT deal that I couldn't beat.
    Brian, I know your methodology. But why do you think a dealer is going to give you his best price in an email? Because you claim you will do a deal? Want to use emails to weed out dealers, that's fine but unless you are at the dealership in person to put your offer in writing, you're not going to get the best deal available. Yes, there are some people who feel intimidated dealing face to face and would probably do better doing it by email, but I'm sure you are not one of them :) And if I were you, and the dealer met your offer price in your email, I'd run down to the nearest Honda dealer and make a lower offer in person. Might take some back and forth, but I'd bet you would beat that email price.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Despite many, many, many emails, I could never get a dealership to give me a price. I think it rare anyone would be abe to get a "best" price thru email. You're gonna get that best price showing them you are a serious "today" buyer.

I always thought it wierd someone would want to buy a car without test driving it first. Test drove one that had a squeaking sound from rear hatch, test drove a Chrysler Town Country had a bad squeak coming from inside sliding door. You never know. :surprise:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Tried this site and liked it. You chat with multiple dealers within a couple hundred miles, and they make direct offers to you with numbers on your desired car. You can counteroffer. Seemed social and pleasant to me. I don't like an adversarial relationship with my salesperson. I see it as a win-win situation—I can get a good deal on a great car, and they can make a bit of profit and make a living. And maybe we can have a little fun while we do it. I wasn't willing to drive out of town for my rather rare desired model of Accord—EXL Navi sedan 4 cylinder in Red Basque Pearl. Wife wasn't flexible on the color. Anyway, long story short, had a pleasant experience yesterday with a local salesman who gave $2800 off list. The car will be driven here from another dealer, and will probably arrive next week.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • nipsternipster Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I meant dealer processing fee & 4 cylinders but I think everyone got that so not sure what the fuss is about or how it adds value to this conversation thread.

Anyways, IMO, what folks will find valuable is a discussion around quality of the deal. Was it good/fair/bad compared to what others have gotten? It's not going to have an impact on mine as it's already done but will be extremely helpful to those that are currently in the market

Lastly, regarding average doc fee in VA, I was charged $499, and that was the ONLY # that was hard-printed (rest were hand written). And as the article points out, even if I had managed to negotiate it down, dealer would've reduced the overall price but left the doc fee # as $499 so as not to open themselves up to a class-action lawsuit. So I suppose it just depends on the dealership as to what they 'list' as their doc fee.
  • jammikejammike Member Posts: 38
    Obviously you will first test drive the car at a local dealership. I tried the CRV, Accord, Camry and new Rav-4. Once I decided to go with Accord CVT Sport, I emailed bunch of dealers in NJ, PA, and MD. Used Carwoo too. From around 20-30 dealers, short listed 5-6 dealers who were ready to work on the price via email/phone.
    Finally bought the Accord CVT Sport last month from MD for almost $1800 below invoice (including the procecssing fee + dest). Obviously you will get the best price once you reach the final dealership and can negotiate it further down.
    edited February 2013
    Many dealerships have gave me there bottom line price.. How i know that is dealing with the high volume dealerships then the smaller dealerships.

last month pricing on Accords in my area using my method let me know what pricing was on the Accord. This month i will try to make my best deal . i have bottom line numbers from many dealers . I will make my best deal at months end........... Poster, Darrin8.... from S.C beat me out on the vehicle i was going to buy from a Dealer in my area so i lost my leverage last month on what i know was a great deal.

Mr honda your are dead wrong on my buying system.
    I'm not dealing with salesman on that last day on the phone.

Buying any vehicle the last day of the month is the only way to buy.
    thru out the month you do your research. You close your deal last day of the month. Doing research also means taking a trip to the dealership for your test drive and any other questions you have about that vehicle. maybe you ask about a trade in price.

So the little work i did last month Online and talking with several dealerships Managers will help me decide what dealerships closest to my home i want to purchase this Accord from. I could travel hours away to save $ 250 but why bother its not worth the time and effort. Sound pretty stress free to me.

edited February 2013
    Clearly a lot of good thought and work went into the Carwoo site and software. Oh, and by the way it's free for buyers. I suppose the dealer who ends up selling you a car pays a small fee, but I don't know about that.

Anyway, Carwoo lets you interact and post notes for dealers and salespeople on the Carwoo site, but they don't have your email address and phone until you want them to have those things. I don't have any fear of talking with sales people and giving them my contact info to start with, and so that's not a big deal to me. But for others it might make the Carwoo buying and comparing experience something to consider. What it does allow you to do regardless is compare a few legit offers side by by before you buy. If most of the details are worked out before you get to the dealer, it makes it more pleasant imho when you get there and meet your person. Then you most likely can have a pleasant experience getting your car.
    Brian, what is your target car and the best offer so far? Dealer name not required.
    Mike you will hold this price record sale until honda puts out cash incentives on the Accords.
    No dealer in the New york ,New jersey, Conn. and Boston. area will come close to that great price.
    The best deal outside of yours that i know of was at Weymouth honda and that was $ 983. below invoice with doc fee's of 239. for a grand total of 744 below invoice.

Maybe i should rethink my old system and have you buy me a EXL model.

Hearing any whispers of Honda cash incentives yet? In February?
    edited February 2013
    Carwoo? Sounds like Daewoo and you know what happened to them! :D

I've seen, literally dozens and dozens of these come and go over the years but, who knows?

As far as color, when a shopper is totally inflexable on the color it can cost them dearly. If, for example a store knows that they have the "only" red Accord EXL in their district and a shopper who HAS to have that color, they know they can hold out for more money. They will "lock" the car so it can't be traded to another store.

If they don't have that color and they see another store does, they will quickly try to trade for it hoping the shopper hasn't shopped the other store.

In the case of Basque Red, that isn't a very popular color at all and you just might find yourself in that position. It isn't a "bad" color by any means, it just doesn't sell very well.
    There are NEVER any "whispers"! The dealers aren't told until the last second!
    edited February 2013
    I was trying to buy the v-6 touring but i have changed my mind to EXL, V-6.
    My youngest daughter is finishing up her masters this year and i want to surprise her at the end of this year for her great effort and all the long hours she put into her studies. Her 07 Accord has been trouble free but it getting up there in miles.
    Pricing in my area is between 400 and 700 below invoice price plus doc fee's. Jan 31st pricing guide. Boston and M.D. few hundred cheaper.

NJ ...doc's 299 to 399
    NY....doc's....... 75

Jipster, we now have a " Nipster". Very creative huh?

We used to get bombarded with emails from "smart" shoppers at the end of the month. They all said the same thing and they were, for the most part, worthless.

First of the month, middle of the month, end of the month, seriously, it really doesn't matter. A "ready to buy today" shopper face to face is always taken seriously, treated well and the customer who gets the best deal.

Don't hide your trade and spring it after the deal is done. It is worth what it's worth.

This really doesn't ahve to be difficult. I always tried to make it fun.
    My gut feeling is that there is an overall shortage of Accords. Don't know if it is production or artificial shortage. Watching inventories in 5 states is telling me it is not demand.
    edited February 2013
    Jimmy very good on that gut feeling..
    Thats what my prevovis post about car sales with other companies and honda were on. The Accords sales are not were they expected. These companies and cars like Sonata, Camry, and Nissan Altima are outselling the Accord. With kia right up there.. Ford, and Nissan already have up to 2500 cash back. VW and all these car companies are putting out cash incentives. If honda wants to sell more vehicles. Cash incentives will be right around the corner. Honda will play there pricing game the 1st quarter then make adjustments.. hopefully for buyers its sooner.
    For such a hot car i really dont see many on the roads yet. i see alot of altima's thou. The Accord is the best car out of the above mentioned group with best resale. Whats the difference on a 5 yr Accord apposed to a 5 yr passat or altima. Is that a big enought difference in price to base your decision on. Maybe if you beat your cars up and have to trade it back to the dealer the Accord is the clear choice.

brian125,
    I am just happy that I got a good deal on a New Gen Accord . I got the 7yr/80K extended warranty from Hyannis Honda and now I am set for 7 yrs :D
    edited February 2013
    You did a great job. No matter how you buy a car today you use the system that works for you. I could never visit 8 dealers in one day and get my answers on where the bottom line numbers are at on pricing / Its to time consuming and the majority of sales people in these dealerships are trained to hold you there and play games til there manager decides on pricing and how much he can make on you. This is a fact. just read thru these boards.
    If there are 5 thousand educated smart shoppers getting a good to great price here at edmunds imagine how many people???? tens of thousands walking into dealerships across this counrty with out a clue on how to buy and the many tricks that come with the art of negotiating and buying. Gotta love America.

Dealers in this area use Nada pricing. Thats what most dealers will quote you with. i Have heard of dealerships giving a better price on a trade in but not on the sale of the new vehicle. Its very rare you can get both. If your trading in a vehicle check out pricing from Nada to be sure of your cars price. there is a small fee to join. NADA pricing is alot lower on car value's than KBB and Edmunds pricing.

When I was picking up the Accord in Maryland with my family, I saw 2 Girls walk in looking for a CRV. The Salesman offered them a price of $1000 less than MSRP and they were ready to sign the deal. They had no information with them regarding holdbacks, invoice price etc.

I felt so bad that I asked my wife to help them and show them the invoice price on the Iphone atleast. They were able to negotiate a better deal after that even though the salesman was so freakin mad at us.

The point is the Dealer may take a loss on the deal he made on my car, but you are absolutely right that they get thousands of customers with out a clue.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    The most accurate way I have seen to value
    your trade-in is here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee9c851/43549
    2022 X3 M40i
    Your right
    i dont mean to say this in a bad way
    Stupid ,Uneducated or dont care consumers who buy cars fuel this market and help these dealerships make big profits.

• albert72albert72 Member Posts: 200
    FYI - For the new Accord, Honda's plan was to ramp up manufacturing to full capacity in I believe 60 days. In the past, it took them much longer as the frequency of QC checks on a new production model are much more frequent. This info came from an article in AutoNews.

You are likely going to see more deals on cars late March / April as gas prices continue to rise and the economy starts to stall. WalMart had their worst Feb start since '07 partially because of the 2% increase in payroll / social sec tax which alone took $19B out of the economy.
    Besides the NADA book, car sales managers also use a smaller BLACK book for when miles way too high or in wretched condition for their fine lot and will be off-loaded to a wholesaler for his lot or an auction.
    Brian, with all the work you must have done, no doubt you have gotten the best email prices, but you're kidding yourself if you think that's their bottom line price. That is purely your opinion with nothing to back that up. While I have no evidence to validate my opinion, I do have common sense on my side. It would be appreciated if you shared your email prices. It would help out emailers as well as those visiting dealerships. Thanks
    edited February 2013
    It wasn't as much work as you think just a system. i posted the prices above. some were email prices. My best prices came from direct negotiations one on one with the sales manager/ Internet mgr. There are dealerships who will give you there bottom line selling price. take it or leave it. I guess i'm in the minority on that one.. Where do you live and what dealers are you looking at.

The last poster was dead on about the economy/gas. Honda will have to ramp up or they stand to lose out. The honda civic stands to do very well this yr. The Corolla has a 2014 redesign along with the Sonata, Genesis and Elantra. Hyundia will not go away they are doing well. Nissan also has the new Sentra out. Alot of competition. Gas prices drive people to buy smaller more fuel efficient cars. Big truck sales are hurting. Average joe is not going to buy one..

With the exception of a dealer looking to move one of his cars off his lot at the end of the month a little cheaper that price i posted is best prices right now.

Darrin8... bought from Autosport in N.J. last month. The dealer moved the touring model off his lot for 1000 below invoice and reduced his doc fee's by 100 dollars to take that sale.. The deal was done by phone with a credit card deposit. I called that same dealership at 6pm and that black touring was the last one he had. This is how you make your best deal.

I'm starting to see more of them.

Of course there are still more 2013 Altimas, bc that model came out months before the new Accord.

Honda is doing a great incentive deal this month: 1.9 for 60 months.

For those who say the Accord costs a little more than the competition, the answer is yes: you can expect to pay a little more to get the best.

With a good discount, however, the Accord still may offer the best bang for the buck in a highly competitive midsize market.
    I didnt find anything on Accord production related to our discussion in AutoNews...
    No, Brian...dealers will give you what your car is actually worth. Sure, they will look at NADA and maybe KBB but they won't pay you more than they can buy a similar car for at the local auction.

A lot of cars are "back of book". they simply aren't worth what the books say and some cars will bring more than book if it's a high demand used car that the store knows will sell quickly.

After the last penny has been wrung out of the new car deal don't expect a store to pay more for the trade than it's worth.

And, often it's an undesirable car the store really doesn't want.
    edited February 2013
    Did you really do that?

Unbelievable!
  • drezheredrezhere Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2013
    Hey everyone, I am in the market to buy a 2013 Accord Coupe. I am wondering if anyone has purchased one recently and what your OTD price was (location would be great too)? I am leaning toward the EX 4Cyl Auto, because I am not a big fan of leather. The interesting thing is that I see very few of those on the lot here in VA, but a see a lot of the EX-L models in 4Cyl or V6. What is the inventory like in the locations around you for the Accord Coupes? Any special offers on them? Thanks!
    :) BTW: Thanks for alll the great advice I have read on how to improve the chance of getting a great deal on a new car. :)
    This may sound funny and dont get the wrong ideal. i always have something you write that i disagree with.
    You are correct on this one.

If you have a well maintained 4,5 or 6 year old car you have to sell it privately to get the most money back. What dealer wants a 5 or 6 yr car?????????????? especially American. If your trade in was in good shape and well maintained why would you trade to the dealer??? Now if you tell me you dont like to sell privately then you take what you get from the dealer and stop complaining about price. A 5/6 yr old car probably needs tires ,tuneup, front end work, brakes , maybe rotors and timming belt down the line.

edited February 2013
    Your best bet on a good deal might be in M.D Check dealers websites for inventory before calling.

Search all high volume dealerships in and around your area. this will help you get a better price than from your local V.A dealers with there high doc fee's.

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited February 2013
    ffelt so bad that I asked my wife to help them and show them the invoice price on the Iphone atleast. They were able to negotiate a better deal after that even though the salesman was so freakin mad at me.

You're lucky that salesman didn't reach across his desk and strangle both of you. ;)
    You probably cost him a couple hundred bucks in commission.

I bet the two girls were cute. :blush:

A customer, without a clue, comes into a dealership to buy a car...it's their fault. You can't realistically expect a dealership to give awAy money, which is what they'd be doing.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima