Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mvperez4jesusmvperez4jesus Member Posts: 231
    O.k. thanks, just curious. But PenFed is some military credit union. They will mail the check for the final amount financed, but worst case scenario is a good thing that Honda has the 1.9%. Thanks for the feedback.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    For a lousy extra 1/2 percent I know I would go with Honda without a second thought!
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    "When people focus ONLY on price they can find it a miserable procedure."

"For a lousy extra 1/2 percent I know I would go with Honda without a second thought!"

Somebody pinch me; that's the second time today i AGREE with "isellhondas"
    So glad he's a part of this board (and a few others)...really!
    Thanks!

I just try to tell it like it is and that's after a lifetime in retail.

More years than I'll admit to.
    I am considering the 1.9 from Honda. I will read the reviews.
  • hondafan31hondafan31 Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2013
    carvc (carcam123) you are spot on. I leveraged the information you posted and the recommendations posted by brian125 when purchasing my 2013 Accord EX-L V6 last November. After determining the make/model/trim level/color of the car I intended to purchase, I spent a few hours researching honda forums to include reviewing postings on this forum. From this forum I learned of the Pen Fed 1.49% 60 Month financing and in the last week of October solicited quotes from both Weymouth and Ray Price Honda. After confirming that my local dealer (Pohanka Honda, Fredericksburg VA) had the EX-L V6 Black/Black I wanted on their lot I then sat down with the local dealer (BTW - via e-mail Pohanka originally quoted the EX-L V6 at $1,300 above the Weymouth price). I showed the Pohanka saleman my quotes from Weymouth and Ray Price (both dealerships quoted the pricing you received). I told Pohanka I was ready to buy the car sitting on their lot for a comparable offer. I told Pohanka I was in a hurray and was prepared to drive to PA to pick up my new car if necessary. The Pohanka response took about 5 minutes and we closed on the final agreement in less than 15 minutes (several minor counter offers). I paid about $125 more then your deal (priced included wheel locks) and avoided an 8 hour round trip travel day to Ray Price Honda in PA. The Pohanka dealer even matched the Pen Fed financing It was a very easy process. I am very satisfied with the outcome of my deal.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Looks like you're finally getting through to some of these guys - good luck with Brian though - if he ever gets the deal he's looking for, he'll still want another 25 cents.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    Oh, I know. It always amazed me what some people would put themselves through in their zeal to "save" a few (very few) dollars.

I finally came to the conclusion that it's not so much the dollars. It the nagging fear that maybe, just maybe, someone else bought the same car for a bit less money.

Life is short folks.....
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2013
    Pentagon Federal credit Union is no fly by night. MOS credit union

I recieved a blank check from Pen fed for the amount i requested with a 90 day validation period.
    No pre penalty to pay off principal early. My membership was free. the rate is 1.49%.
    Make Honda match that offer or give Pen Fed your business.

Honda fan you negotiated a good deal.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• jjjaymmmanjjjaymmman Member Posts: 43
    Or push for zero % if you can handle the payments for 60 months. My bank approved 1.49 but Honda finance offered zero.
    Yours was a great deal for 0%. No questions about it. I will try that on Monday or Tuesday.
  • hondafan31hondafan31 Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2013
    I agree that when negotiating a new car purchase costing $25K or more, haggling over $100 is not worth hours of negotiation, walking away from what otherwise is in totality a good deal. However any prudent buyer will do their research, understand market conditions, get pre-qualified for financing at most favorable rates before sitting down with a dealer to close on a new car purchase. Since Honda does not sell their cars using a standardized pricing model (same fixed price applies at any dealership) a buyer is foolish to not understand market conditions and negotiate the best deal for their individual circumstance.

The dealership I bought from agreed to reduce their original quoted price by almost $1,300 ($29.0K reduced to $27.7K, MSRP of car was $30.8K) as a result of my face to face negotiation. The dealership agreed to sell me the car at a price I agreed to pay. My negotiation was not a pressure packed confrontational experience. I was an informed consumer and leveraged the information I had to close a deal that benefited me (and since the dealership wasn't forced to sign the purchase agreement must have benefited from the transaction as well). The negotiation closed fast, didn't take up hours of a salesperson's valuable time so he received his commission and had plenty of time to deal with other potential buyers that same day.

I believe in treating people fairly, I also believe that in a free market economy an individual owes it to themselves to make informed decisions when electing to incur a significant expense such as purchasing a house or a new car. Buyers are motivated to purchase at the lowest price and the car dealers are motivated to maximize margin opportunity on all transactions. The signed purchase agreement reflects a position determined agreeable to both parties. In most every circumstance, an uninformed buyer is at a significant disadvantage in this scenario.
  • isloverislover Member Posts: 32
    thank you "brian125"

my advice was to help this girl get out of a bad situation - the same one the dealer put me in - even though I have years of buying experience - didn't matter - they forced us to buy warranty to take deal & we needed a car - luckily we could quickly undo the screw over

tired of seeing innocent victims of greedy unethical car dealers!

I am not an [non-permissible content removed] kisser - but am honest & to the point - good observation

p.s.
    I'm a "her" :blush:

=]
    Totally agree with your post.

It's the small percentage of people that crossed the line that bothered me.

I would sell them cars but they never seemed to be happy and I didn't care if I ever saw them again.

I had no problem making those sales but it was never fun.
    why is your post so off base and why does it have absolutely nothing to do with buying a car or answering the previous post?

that being said, if you cannot understand that going through a divorce may affect some people's credit ratings, you really are unaware of interpersonal relationships and financial hardship due to life events - sorry but I can't explain this one to you

you took this way off base - divorce was just one example of many I suggested that may affect someone's credit score - you took a simple statement and blew it way out of proportion.

stick to the topic!
    I'm still trying to figure out how a dealer could "force" a person into buying a warranty.

I despise unethical car dealers more than anyone but I would have simply walked out.

Sounds like that'll never happen to you again! A good thing!
    this dealer did "force" us to buy warranty

we did ask several times for it to be removed - they refused - we needed a car that day, so unfortunately we bought despite the shady sales tactic of the finance person ( may I add we did buy car for $2800 below invoice, so we were getting a good deal, and we did remove warranty one week later - so we lost nothing, but the finance person did lose her commission)

we've never purchased a warranty before, ever, and always are looking at the screen in the finance office to be sure we're not getting screwed by them adding on things at the last second

no, this will never happen again!

and I'm happy I was able to help the girl that it did happen to

thanks for your comment
    why you decided to use my helpful post to rant about car dealers closing that live within walking distance of you is a mystery to me

stick to the subject!

buying cars and helpful advice!
    again, why use my post to vent and rant - going completely off subject?

stick to the subject!

buying cars & helpful advice!
    edited February 2013
    I agree with what you say - to an extent

Buying new can mean worry free, warranty covered issues, and better reliability

Buying used can mean costly repairs and unreliability - something (especially females) cannot sacrifice

however my post was simply about the credit issues that many Americans today face, that is all =] I was replying to a poster who obviously does not understand that for some people - most people - 9.49 interest rate is OK for them - and the best they can get given a tough economy and poor credit - it's not 30% - it's not that horrible
  • mortiennemortienne Member Posts: 30
    "Oh, I know. It always amazed me what some people would put themselves through in their zeal to "save" a few (very few) dollars. "

A few years back when I was leasing a new car, I had a target of $249 per month that I'd calculated would be an excellent deal. The salesman came back with $252. I spent the next 3 hours negotiating to get the $249. My wife told me while I was still feeling pleased with myself that I'd just spent 3 hours of mine, hers and the salesman's time to save $108 over 3 years.
    being from South Florida also - I would suggest Bright Star credit union as a place to start

Let me clarify something: they will not report to the credit bureau on a "debit" card attached to your account - but by opening a checking account with them, with a debit card attached to that account, you could then apply for a credit card with them - that's when they would report to credit bureau - by opening the account they would see you are financially responsible (don't make any mistakes) and that's when in 6-8 months you can apply for an auto loan with them - this is a good strategy that really works!

Hope that this helps
    WOW
    When you guys are done licking your mortal wounds ..... Maybe you should consider just ripping me... :sick:..... ... LOL

REF: 28676
    1. Glad to see you've had time to catch up on your responses to previous posts.
    Here's my .02

"again, why use my post to vent and rant - going completely off subject? "
    It's what we do. Besides, I'd had too much caffeine that day

"stick to the subject! "
    I think we did. Many of us STILL find it amazing that anyone can be FORCED in to buying something they don't want. Perhaps it was the time crunch you were in to buy a car THAT DAY.

"buying cars & helpful advice!"
    it's important to learn from one's mistakes; either our own or what we read on COOPERATIVE forums like these. This is one of the more popular threads on edmunds so we tend to get a little bit of everything on here. Overall, I think it's worthwhile and i try to give back more than i get.

Lastly, the fact that you mentioned you were female has nothing to do with my opinion or responses. Now, some dealership personnel may think they can get one over on you, but that is NOT always the case. time to move on - i'm boring myself...
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Because you wrote "Honda dealerships, and every other auto dealer will never lose money" and wanted to point out that I believe that is not a correct statement. And instead of just expressing an opionion, I added some facts regarding dealerships I'm familiar with.

And I think your reply to my comment was rather rude and did not expect it from you considering you have expressed the opinion that rudeness in not appropriate in the forum.

And you can decide what posts of mine are helpful and I'll do the same with yours. Glad you don't have a self-esteem issue. :)
    edited February 2013
    Too bad her confidence didn't make it into the finance manager's office when it came time for that "forced" warranty signing.

For the record, I am very happy that she was able to unwind that screwjob and get her money back. I also hope that "ar831" is equally successful in that regard.

As i tell my kids, if you do things right the FIRST time, you don't waste time and brain cells cleaning up the mess. They still love me though (i think).

Sermon over.
    edited February 2013
    In an effort to keep the price of the Accord model down, Honda skimped on tires this year. While this may not upset 95% of you, it bothers me. So, when contemplating your choice, take a look at the tires. If leasing, it doesn't really matter. If you are the type to keep your Accord for a long time, it might.

Tirerack dot com has all the OEM tires listed for each trim level.
    LX (16 inch version): Firestone Affinity (yuk) or Continental ContiproContact (ok) both ~$110
    EX (17 inch version): Goodyear Assurance ($133); Michelin Primacy MXV4 ($184)
    Sport (18 inch version): Michelin Primacy MXM4 ($252)

For some of you out there, just make sure they are rubber, round and black... :surprise:
    Well being....
    No one is buying honda cars at the moment and posting those crazy prices of getting ripped off have stopped for the moment and the players in this forum got there testosterone back and cleared the air with love, and marriage, debt, and warranties i have a question.

I just came back from church.
    Do i need to work on my people skills????????

Purchasing a car online or by phone doesn't add up to a stressful situation. Saves many hours of wasted time in dealerships. fastest way to determine
    What market value is for any vehicle.......Buying this way' has proven to me how i receive a good deal. Its not about sucking every penny out of the deal. It is nice knowing you made the best deal possible in your area. Or going down the road to make a good deal.

Tomorrow i'll probably have road rage back.

Lets go Silver lining play book........... I'M rooting for the young girl Lawrence to win the academy award... al thou Ann Hathaway was also very good.

And she drives a Honda

• trusso69trusso69 Member Posts: 68
    "For some of you out there, just make sure they are rubber, round and black"

Wow, what a condescending putz. Get a life, dude.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    The Michelin tires are very nice V rated tires. Fine performance and durability. Had a set on my 2008 Accord EXL and got 59,000 miles out of them. Replaced them with the same just a few months ago.

The entry level tire is probably about the same you'd get on a base Camry, Sonata, Fusion, etc. Not a great tire, but pretty good H rated stuff for the price.

I prefer Michelin to Goodyear, but even the Goodyear Assurance tire is decent.

Is it a BMW or Mercedes tire? A couple of notches down from that, but still pretty good rubber for the price imho.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/luxury-performance-touring/pri- macy-mxv4/tire-details

Primacy™ MXV4®
    Luxury Performance Touring
    ALL SEASON TIRE

Perfect for Comfort -oriented touring vehicles such as Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, this tire delivers all-season traction and a safe, Comfort able ride backed by a 60,000-mile limited warranty.1

Benefits of Michelin

60,000-Mile Limited Warranty.1
    MaxTouch Construction™ maximizes the tire’s contact with the road and evenly distributes the forces of acceleration, braking and cornering, resulting in longer wear.1
    Enjoy a Quiet, Comfortable Ride.
    MICHELIN® Comfort Control Technology™ uses computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to reduce vibrations and road noise.
    Confident Wet-Weather Handling.
    Unique tread design offers numerous biting edges for all-season grip in rain and snow.
  • jenks0728jenks0728 Member Posts: 4
    I've been reading this forum for the past 2 days and I'm concerned if I might of came away with a bad deal for a 2013 accord exl/w nav I live in nj by the way

Price before ttl 28223

Ttl and doc fees 598

Taxes 7% nj

Otd price was 30,796 I'm a little concerned because I put my deposit down already as I'm thinking of renegotiating with them is is possible?
  • evped2evped2 Member Posts: 21
    Most of the EX manuals that I've inquired about have the Goodyears. Some dealers are willing to swap them with another Accord, but most are not. Seems the EXLs mostly have the Michelins. Should I insist on the Michelins or is it no big deal?
  • whatcar2buywhatcar2buy Member Posts: 35
    It is NOT a bad deal. It is not the lowest price seen till now, but if you are looking to match the lowest price, good luck!

If it is the I4 CVT with Nav, the MSRP is about 30,800. Even after adding doc fees, your Sale price is about 28,600-28,700. If you got a few options included with the car, it is close to invoice, so it's not a bad deal. Enjoy the new car !

I don't know if you can renegotiate the deal after deposit, but you can convince the dealer to throw in a few options/oil changes/service deals, may be ?
  • jenks0728jenks0728 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks a lot for your reply whatcar2buy... I just really felt I got ripped after reading people's otd price. I also forgot to mention the owner of the place was supposedly there and even threw me a 1.9% apr with honda financial. I still feel like telling them I want to lower my otd another $800. Is it worth it??
  • downloadprjdownloadprj Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I started looking for 2013 Honda Accord Sport SVT in the San Jose area recently and found to a surprise that so few dealers actually have those vehicles. And even those who do, are really snobbish and don't really show any interest in the customer.
    The lowest I was offered was $25,300 out the door from a showroom 50mi away and it wasn't even the color of my choice.
    Apparently this seems like a good deal since not many are showing interest in selling it.
    Has anyone else seen the same thing happen? Also, what do you think about this non-negotiable price?
    Availability on that model is low because it's so popular. Lotta bang for the buck with that car!

But the factory in Ohio is going full tilt, and so supplies should be catching up with demand by this time.

Try Carwoo.
  • jsmith40jsmith40 Member Posts: 3
    I never got the whole 'bigger is better' idea on car tires. All it usually does is drive up the replacement cost and in most cases gives you less tread life. Sure, they do look nicer, but at a cost. Lets not forget that these bigger, lower profile tires use to be only found on expensive sports car for a reason. Come on, 'V rated tires on a family sedan where your top speed will be maybe 85 or 90.
  • whatcar2buywhatcar2buy Member Posts: 35
    1.9% APR is an offer from Honda that started last week (I would assume anyone with a decent credit should be able to get that). The owner/dealer did not give you anything extra with that (again, I'm assuming you don't have bad credit). Regarding lowering the price, you can give it a shot but don't feel bad if you don't get anything.
  • sonipsonip Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for the same type of car in northern NJ for $27,134.
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, V rated (which means good up to c. 140 mph--or something like that) is overkill on a car like the Accord. The Accord is electronically limited to max speed of about 125mph in any case, and I doubt I'll ever get to 100 in mine.

But a V rated Michelin is a fine performance tire. It's more tire than probably 95% of people ever need on a family sedan.

But that's kinda like the Accord itself. They didn't meet the federal crash standards—they exceeded them. Almost everything in the Accord is done to a very nice level, esp. given the price.

And so I think most people can feel happy about the Accord's OEM tires. They're all that you would expect—or maybe even a little more than that—for this price point.
  • vba123vba123 Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2013
    I am also looking to buy Accord LX CVT this week. I am from NY Where dealers are not willing to deal as they are in MD or MA.
    Maybe we can buy together to get better deal.
    I know what you mean with that. Dealers around are not willing to do that kind of price.

This is where i stand. There is a dealer close by that is willing to match my offer. So, i will try tomorrow. If they don't, i have to put a deposit for the best offer i have and seal that deal via deposit tomorrow.

I was going to try today, but schedule has been crazy trying to negotiate and personal stuff. So, tomorrow afternoon/evening i will know for sure.

I wouldn't mind buying w someone else, but time is kind of short for me and i need to pull the trigger or i will have nothing. I will give you the tips, dealers, etc. i can refer to the salespeople i will deal with.

Now, if i don't seal the deal locally, we can try together to do it at the dealer that doesn;t play this games. Now, i am not sure if they will do any better for the 2 (maybe an extra $50-100 at best), but is the end of the month and this month has been short. I am almost positive they will do it for you too.

I will keep u posted.
    What color are u looking to get? let me know and i will see if i can help u somewhat, thanks.

Also, try to get pre approved, it will help.

If you need any add ons, i wouldn't recommend doing them now, but is up to u.

Let me know.
  • jw074jw074 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

When people refer to "invoice" price, does that include the destination cost ($790 for accord)?

Thanks
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Unfortunately, you are wrong about the Accord exceeding the federal crash standards. The 2012 sedan and the 2013 coupe received 5 stars across the board from the NHTSA while the 2013 sedan received an overall 5 star rating, but only received 4 stars for frontal crash.
    In the new IIHS Small Overlap Front test, the 2013 sedan is one of the few cars tested so far to receive a "Good" but the coupe only received "Acceptable". Of course, everything is relative. The Sonata received a "Marginal" and the Camry "Poor".
    I'm driving my mother-in-law's 2010 Accord which we had to take away from her. It's one of the few cars that only earned 3 stars on the rear side test so I make my son sit in a car seat in the middle instead of a booster on the side. He wants a new Accord more than I do.
    edited February 2013
    A car can get 2 stars and still meet the minimum US gov crash standards.

The Accord is beyond that.
  • vba123vba123 Member Posts: 30
    Thank You for offering to help. You have better price quote than me.
    I was quoted from Anderson about $20850 with accessories for Accord LX CVT.
    Interested in Modern Steel with Black Interior without any add ons.

I am willing to buy this week. Looking to Finance thru Honda Financial, Approval should not be issue.

I will wait and see what you local dealer tells you.
    My best advice in that case is to be honest w them and tell them u don't want any add ons.
    Tell them u r willing to wait. Not sure what add ons cost that much. But the other key is have them removing your doc fees. Just tell them that you are willing to drive, but a couple of hundreds in savings won't earn your business as u already have to drive and it will cost u that and more.

Besides, I noticed that they don't have the accessories installed, they add them to make extra profit last minute. My one had "accessories added" but they were "taken away all of the sudden". I will seal the deal w them tomorrow.
    By the way, u can get that price matched around u (maybe without the add ons) but will save u a trip.

Again be straight forward and tell them what u want. They are reasonable or at least I think they will be w me.