Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• moonpiemamamoonpiemama Member Posts: 4
    I got a price today in the New Orleans, La area of $27,400 for a 2013 Honda Accord EXL 4 cyl.
    First time car buyer. Would appreciate any input.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    I love those Moon pies....

Invoice price with dest charge = $26,399

You want the sale price to be 500 to 1000 below the invoice price. Then add your states taxes, dmv, and dealers doc doc fee's for the total OTD price.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• moonpiemamamoonpiemama Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Brian. After reading some of the posts, car buying is a pretty
    daunting task!
  • emilynicole08emilynicole08 Member Posts: 7
    I didnt realize how much of a process it was going to be to buy a 2013 Honda Accord Ex coupe automatic 4 cyl!!!!!

The Frisco, TX David Mcdavid dealer told me "they would match and even beat ANY price I brought in as long as it was on paper". Well that was a LIE! I went in today with a new quote I got from a different dealer of $25,244 OTD....and instead of matching the price, they took that price and added $1400 in accessories to the price and gave me a new total of almost $27,000!! I told the dealer that I didnt want any accessories and he told me that I was ultimately getting them for free because the car was already discounted for me and he refused to take them off. I was livid! I know two other people that have been pissed off by this dealership and regret even wasting my time there.

I am going to go to another Honda dealer tomorrow that I have heard good things about and hope for a better outcome, and am keeping my fingers crossed that the end of the month will do me some good.

Has anyone else had the issue of a dealer refusing to sell the car without the accessories? I dont know what else to do! Even though I told them I DO NOT WANT ANY ACCESSORIES, they didnt listen to my request. How do I handle that situation besides leaving?
  • emilynicole08emilynicole08 Member Posts: 7
    That is the price the dealer is trying to charge me for a 2013 honda accord coupe EX 4 cyl....what city/state did you buy your car from?
  • fields102fields102 Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    Just got done buying the EX
    So. CA
    MSRP 26,195
    Invoice 24,037
    Purchase price 23,335
    doc fee - 80
    sales tax - 1,873
    electronic registration - 16
    License fees - 256
    OTD (before down payment & trade in) 25,560 (I think the high trade in value skewed this #)
    down payment - $500 (wanted to lower my montly payment slightly)
    trade in - 3,000 for '01 camry w/150k miles
    60 months at 1.9

Per KBB, fair trade in value for my car was about $1700(definitely just fair condition) so I don't think the 3000 trade in offer was accurate. I'm assuming they are trying to keep the appearance up of not selling the car between 22,350-22,800??? No one else was offering anywhere near that on the trade in.

I went into 2 places and spoke with a number of others over the phone. I asked for a $385 monthly payment for 60 months, with them getting my car(assumed 2,000 was the best real trade in number) and $500 as a down payment. No one was in the universe at first. The offers I received were crazy. I just kept saying no until they hit the number I wanted.

I would think a purchase price of 22,400 is attainable.
    I was also considering the Sport but wasn't getting anywhere with the number I wanted ($370).
  • agearyageary Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Chicago area and am wondering what people are paying for a 2013 Accord EX-L 4 cyl w/NAV.
    Mjk14,

So your purchase price would be 22,280 - 500 = 21,780?
    If I could have gotten that on a Sport(w/cloth interior), I would have jumped all over it. I needed automatic due to the wife. If manual and leather are attractive to you, sounds like an awesome deal. I'm assuming the msrp for the leather is over $1,000. What's the invoice cost of the car with leather? It sounds like your deal is over $2k under invoice. I'd love a recap after you purchase.

No one was interested in giving a great deal on the Sport when I was looking. I was watching the dealers and each only had a couple of Sports, and they kept turning over quickly. I moved onto the EX after reading this site about some of the deals people were getting on the EX.
  • mjk14mjk14 Member Posts: 12
    Absolutely right.

I just went to two dealerships after speaking with an internet sales rep on the phone and found that they would not offer the price originally stated. On the phone they said that the leather was included in the sport price of around 22k although it was an add on. When I informed them of what I was told on the phone they said that they apologize for being misinformed. In addition, the approximate trade in value was several thousand less.

What a scam, you think you are saving time and headaches by making the phone calls yet instead they will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to the dealership. Has anyone else had a similar experience. In addition, I was told that the 2014s are coming out in two weeks. Is that true? The salesman told me that for the first few months the most they could mark down is about 1k.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Emilynicole - you did the right thing - this is the type of dealer to stay away from. There are dealers who do not pack their cars with unwanted accessories and will sell the vehicle at a fair price. As Brian has stated, $1000 below invoice seems to be the fair market price right now. Stand your ground and you will get the price you are looking for.

Good luck, Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • zoxozoxo Member Posts: 6
    2013 Accord Coupe EX L V4

Price Paid (for car): $25,960
    Sales Tax: 906 (6.5% on balance after trade in)
    Title/Tags: $134.(tag not included)
    Options: Pro Pack $0

OTD $27,000
    minus $12,000 on my '08 Accord EX Trade in

$15,000 out of pocket

How did I do??
  • chittinenichittineni Member Posts: 10
    Hello Vinnu,
    Thanks for your post. and i would need a big favor from you.
    I bought an exact color,model car what you have bought, but i paid 29531 OTD..which is way higher and felt like cheated by davidMcdavid,Frisco dealer..i was going throgh this forum and found you have bought for lesser price and then called up my dealer and argued with him..he was kind of interested to match the price if he gets any document signed by delaership for lesser price..if you can help me by providing any of your quote or purchase order from yor dealer that would be so awesome and i will personally meet you if you are in DFW area to show my gratitude...please please help me if you can..you can send an e-mail to me at lakshminarayana.chittineni@gmail.com
    i hope you understand my situation and hopw you will help me on this..
    please let me know if you have any questions...Thanks in advance
    Brian,
    my dealer now saying he can think of matching the price if i get a documnet or Purchase order or quote from the dealer signed by manger..is there a way that i can get any of the reqd documents from any of our members so that i can demand my dealer about the same.. i hope you can help me in routing the better way..all i can do now is hoping to get some document form someone and then fight with the dealer to get some discount at his mercy...
    please put your comments.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    They all say that, because they know you can't prove it. Which is why it's a waste of time to negotiate that way.

Determine the price you will pay, and stick to it. If no one takes it, check your research..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for your reply..I know it's an attempt to get back my money as i already paid 29531 OTD and bought car on 25th of May at david mcdavid frisco...just wondering if i can get any proof and fight with dealer to reduce some amount..
    i can see you as Host, is there a way that i can get e-mail of username vinnu so that i can meet and check with him if he can provide details..i know it's not good to ask any of other users details but i am so desperate and need help....atleast first and last name of vinnu can be helpful so that i can check in Face book and the name sounds to me as Indian so am hoping he wil definitely help if i can get back to him...
    let's see what i can do in this, hmmm i am a poor fellow who paid rich amount to dealer with my ignorance and lack of knowledge in buying a new car in United States....:(
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I'm afraid we can't do any of those things...

But, your dealer isn't going to give you any money back, either way... Trust me on that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hey C ' the dealer did you in.
    Chaulk this up to a life lesson in Car buying. Dont feel bad dealers do this to many many folks across the country. This is what dealerships are good at. Misleading and taken advantage of people who dont know how to buy.

Cancel your extended Warranty and your 4 yr maint and your ahead of the game. Drive and enjoy your accord and dont look back.

See you in 5/6 yrs will knock the next deal out of the box.............

• hyu12hyu12 Member Posts: 4
    I went in today, and the salesman asked me to give him a price so i wrote down 25500 with dest. they said they cant do it. the best they can do is 25800.

sale price: 25800
    7% tax : 1806
    DMV fee : 301
    Doc fee : 359
    tire : 7.50

total: 28273.50

i asked for 28000 OTD but they just wont give it to me. the last offer was 28200 so i walked out and left.

what do you guys think of this deal? anybody who brought it in NJ got 28000 OTD for EXL?
    any advice would be helpful, as i plan to call other dealerships around to beat that price and try to make the deal at 28000.
    If you get several dealership involved and be firm on your price you will hit your mark tomm.

invoice w dest on the exl= $26,399
    minus...899...................=$25,500

at 899 below dealers invoice your giving back $359 in doc fee's. Ny doc fee's are only 75 dollars

Your total deal would be around 540 below invoice. if you got 25,500

In New jersey i'd say that is a ok deal Nothing special.

your asking price to buy tomm should be 1000 or better below invoice. Unless your happy with the 540 below price.

Thanks Brain125,

all the quote i been getting are around 25,800, so i thought i already hit the bottom line at 25,500.

i originally plan to make a trip to VA with their price of 25,313 with dest. and i handle my tax and tags in NJ, but in the end gave that up cuz of the long trips not worth it.

i really dont know how much are ppl getting the EXL for in NJ.
    Should i buy it in NY cuz the doc fee's lower.
    Poster jjvicks 1950,

Joann bought 2 month ago at Madison honda in N.J april 30th for 1000 below invoice price and doc fee's of 239.

edited May 2013
    Make the best deal closest to your house. read tru prior postings there are alot of dealerships mentioned by me and others on pricing. Call those same dealerships. If your in no rush to buy make these dealers [non-permissible content removed] or get off the bowl tomm by calling 10/20 dealerships and tell each one

I buy for this price yes or no. my model my color my options. someone will take your money or come close to your number..

Think of buying this way... Your in a bar and the dealership is the guy trying to pick you up. Play the game.... LOL

good luck and have fun tomm

• jimmytulsajimmytulsa Member Posts: 48
    Brian,

Been reading your posts...great work!

Enjoying the EX-L...
  • zoxozoxo Member Posts: 6
    had two dealerships tell me it's not possible for the dealer to sell the Accord Coupe EXL w power pack for 27K OTD

spoke with my salesman today, agreed to accept $5K on my credit card and 10K in cashier's check,so it appears it's real
    Tks... Jimmy how great is it hearing Led zeppelin blasting out of those tin can speakers. Actually Neil diamond sounded pretty good tonight..

Called honda corp. the exl has a 360 watt Alpine radio, speakers are Fosters.
    Speaker sizes are ft doors and back deck 6.6.9 almost 6.7 inch. tweeter in doors are 2'... took honda rep 5 days to get back to me on this.

i have read the prior post u posted with all the Honda dealers.
    should i ask for 27,500 for EXL V4 OTD? do u think thats a reasonable price or 27,800?
    a stupid question: how do i get to the internet manager? do i just ask to speak with the internet manager and they will connect me to him?

thanks in advance
    I went to three dealerships over the past two days and found the same thing. The sport model is limited and they do not budge much with numbers. Most of the two good to be true offers that I received on the phone were just that. Anyway, I received another price for the sport automatic for 23300 in person which includes destination. I feel that this is several hundred more than it should but there are not many sports available.
  • lexusguy311lexusguy311 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    After much work in the Bay Area I was able to get a decent price on an Sport 6-Speed Manual. I was set on the Obsidian Black so I don't think I hit bottom in terms of price. Price of car was $21,650 plus tax, lic., and 80 dollar doc. fee. I was in and out (test drive included) in 1 hour 45 minutes in Morgan Hill on Memorial Day. The vehicle just got off the truck as well and only had 3 miles on the ODO. Needless to say the wife and I are thrilled with the purchase. All things considered we were happy with the whole process. Sport models are hard to find even in a large are like the Bay Area. Research only found 7 vehicles in the Black 6MT combo and that figured into jumping on the deal presented by Morgan Hill. :shades:
  • stygz2stygz2 Member Posts: 7
    I went to a dealer to look at a 2013 EX-L 4cyl. I was quoted sticker 28795 but they offered me 13500 for my 2008 subaru impreze which only KBB for 10500. I owe about 8500 which leaves me about 5000 equity plus I get a 500 military discount. I plan on paying the taxes and dealer fee of 599 out of pocket. What confused me was the payment I was told. That leaves me 23295 left to finance at 1.9%. The dealer told me the payment was 425 but I calculate about 407. I wonder why the difference? We are not looking to purchase for about a month.
    edited May 2013
    If your calling dealerships ask the the name of the Internet mgr. Once you get his name have them connect you to him. you only speak to him. leave a message if you get a machine with a brief message that your looking to buy this model today.

Go down the line with all dealerships and tell each one for xxx below invoice price for my model, color, and options i buy right know. If they say no then thank them and move on. If they want to give you a price that is close to your number let each dealer know you will consider it but xxx gets it down today.
    Your asking number is very realistic for end of May be firm, stay in control of the negotiations with my price... Do not go into any dealership unless you have worked out all the numbers 1st. Dealerships that tell you to come down but wont give you the final price save for later and continue with your calls.

I like to get a big pad and write each dealership i call with this info... Name, Number and Internets mgr on that line along with each dealerships Doc fee's.
    leave your email or phone number with each dealership. Go down the line.

I could probably contact 30 dealers in 1 hour and get out to every dealership
    What my buying price is for them to earn my business that day. Alot of times i have struck a deal by the 4 or 5th dealership. i have had times where it took me all 20 or 30 to find what i'm looking for.

I find planting the seed in every dealers head on xxx price gets call backs that day within hours if not sooner.
    Do not waste your time negotiating with salesmen on the phone you will get no- where. You would be better off driven from one dealer to the next for that matter.

If 10 dealerships wont negotiate by phone make sure you ask each one if they will meet your price for the sale today if you come down.. then put them on the back of your list..

Your asking price to buy today should be 1000 below invoice price, $25,399 plus taxes and DMV, doc fee's. at worst case settle for 25,500.

Good luck

Here are a couple of first name internet magrs.. that i spoke with

DCh paramus.....................Tim
    Garden state .....................Natasha
    Dch kay............................. kevin
    Hamilton............................Phil...... not mgr
    Autosport,..........................Krstal, or kerry
    Paul miller...........................mike. L
    honda of freehold................. Robert
    Joyce honda........................ Jennifer
    Willis...................................LUKE
    DCH Academy, Oldbridge n.j..... good dealership

VIP, Planet honda, RT22, Metro, Open road play alot of games be carefull with these dealerships they lie lie lie .

These are the dealership that will get you to the showroom and forget about prices and deals they quoted you.

edited May 2013
    i called a few.
    paul millers mike doesnt work there anymore lol
    and other just wont give me not even 25500.
    some went to voicemail.
    like you said metro is playing games lol got a few calls but never comfirmed 28000 OTD.
    Hudson's david quoted 500 flex cash(25899) and worked out a price thats good for both of us.
    garden state's natasha 25900 no flex cash, with purchase of new honda they giveaway ipad mini.
    thats about as far as i got with dealership that are close to me.
    madison told me they would try their best to match the OTD 28200 i got from DCH paramus if i come in.
    Joyce honda. 28175 OTD
  • vinnuvinnu Member Posts: 3
    Hi Brian,
    At the time of my car purchase, the dealer mentioned that when you get the statement from the Honda Financing (Capital One) just send your cheque to him and everything will be taken care of.
    Yesterday I got the statement from Capital One auto finance, which states the balance amount is 22,075 when my loan is for 22000. Not sure from where did that extra 75 bucks came from.
    The cheque what I have from PenFed is a blank cheque for 25K limit which I got from them for buying a car. So can I use the same cheque to pay capital one or do i need to apply for re-financing?
    edited May 2013
    Go thru your list of dealers.......... wait a few hours then make your best deal tonight.

Call capital one and ask what your pay out is .. Write your Penn fed check to that amount and your done..........

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    First of all, not all of these "Prices Paid" numbers are factual. I used to have to deal with this on a daily basis.

No dealer is going to refund any money to you. I'm guessing you probably got an excellent deal.

Relax and just enjoy your new ride!
  • stygz2stygz2 Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2013
    I went to a dealer two days ago to look at a 2013 EX-L 4cyl in white. They really seemed to want my business even though I was not ready to buy for a few weeks. I was quoted 28785 (MSRP) less military discount (28285 actual) They started out with an offer of 9000 trade for my 2008 Subaru impreza with out even looking at it. KBB is about 10500. I told them this and my trade value jumped a couple times until they reached 13500 (I owe 8500). I don't know how to take it. Do I look at it as 10500 for trade and 3000 off msrp? At this point the sales manager actually came out to talk to me. They gave me the "four square" sheet for me to take home and offered me a demo car to show the wife. Dealer fee is 599 which is about in line for around here.

Also do I arrange my own financing or talk to the dealer. We have A+ credit.

Any word when the 2014's come out? My wife and I really want a white with black leather combo but it is not offered for 2013.
  • jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    Get the 10-day payoff amount from CapOne -- your interest rate was 4.6% so you're paying arnd $2.70-$2.80/day in interest (that $75 is your first month's interest)

Is the check from Penfed for a car purchase or refinance? Call Penfed and see if you can use that check to refinance or if they need to send you a new one (in that case ask them if they can send a new check directly to CapOne)
    Hey..Thanks Brian..
  • kirankkirank Member Posts: 1
    Bought an accord LX yesterday , last day of May.

Prime honda , close to Boston. Paid 20320 . No options included , doc fee was about 290
    Traded in a 2000 Camry , 148k miles on it, in so so condition for 1500

They were pretty good . Liked my experience there. Tried Boch honda earlier in the month , they played games , didn't like to deal with them anymore , will not go there in the future.
    I agree with the dealers that play games and will tell you anything to get you into the dealership.

Planet Honda- rt 22
    Honda of Toms River- Rt 37
  • hamheadhamhead Member Posts: 2
    I want to thank everyone for all the great advice and pricing info. I got a much better deal after reading and rereading every post here for the last two weeks. I didn't have time to start thur or fri and didn't want to wait another month so I started yesterday, June 1. My strategy was to call dealers that had my car and color in stock.

My spill was "I'll buy today for 27.5 + TTL." The replies were "that's crazy talk", bye ; "come in and deal", no; " how about 28xxx" not today, I may check back. I was getting very discouraged and starting to question my strategy. Then bingo, I bought a car on the 10th call.

I know it's not the best deal ever, but i think I did O.K. I'm sure I would have paid more without the info learned here. I hope my numbers can help others. Thanks again.

EX-L V6
    MSRP 30860
    selling
    price 26900
    doc 600
    TTL 2185
    OTD 29685
  • dylanthomasdylanthomas Member Posts: 3
    21,300 + 700 freight + 700 dealer fee + 1000 tax + license/misc = $24,000
    includes lifetime warranty -unlimited miles/years and 5 year DuPont complete paint protection
    seems too good to be true - are you sure it includes $700 destination/freight and there is usually a 500 to 700 dealer fee also?
    Looks like the price walletless paid is more in line with market than what you paid - your deal seems a bit steep. What's this lifetime warranty? I've never heard of that.
    Lifetime warranty is for engine ctv transmission transfer case fuel pump timing chain Eng mounts drive axle seals with fidelity warranty services in deerfield Fla.
  • brideaccoedbrideaccoed Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in the EX 4 door automatic in So. California. What is the dealership you purchased your car from? We have dealt with several internet depts in So. Calif, who give an emailed price supposedly out the door and then change the story upon arrival at the dealership!

Were you happy with dealer and salesperson? What color did you get? Were you able to get flex cash?
    Thank you for your help. Sounds like you got a good deal, especially with your trade in!

Are you loving your car?
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like you purchased a third party extended warranty - it would probably a good idea to research the reputation of this company as many car buyers have had bad experiences with organizations like these. As far as extended warranties are concerned, you would be better off investing in Hondacare from one of the online sellers popular on this site.

Edit: Dylan - you might want to see if you can cancel the Fidelity plan - a peek online reveals many complaints by consumers who have had dealings with them.
    Love the car. It's blue.
    Kearny Mesa or Escondido dealers were the best.
    Don't know if they gave me flex cash. (It wasn't on the paperwork).
    I assumed I'd actually get 1750ish for the trade in. The guy a few posts up got 1500 for trading in a 2000 Camry.
    To get to $385 a month with a 1750 trade in and 500 down, I think the purchase price needed to be around 22,100. I just said this is the payment I want. I let them figure out how to get there.

Patience was the key on this. It took about a week to make the deal but my wife was ready to crack.

I purchased a 2013 pilot 30 days ago and the dealer gave me 0.9% financing for 60 months to make that deal work, even though they were advertising 0.9 for up to only 36 months.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    To get to $385 a month with a 1750 trade in and 500 down, I think the purchase price needed to be around 22,100. I just said this is the payment I want. I let them figure out how to get there.

They must have loved you!

A) $385/mo x 24 months = $9,240 + $2,250 (trade, down) = $11,490
    B) $385/mo x 36 months = $13,860 + $2,250 (trade, down) = $16,110
    C) $385/mo x 48 months = $18,480 + $2,250 (trade, down) = $20,730
    D) $385/mo x 60 months = $23,100 + $2,250 (trade, down) = $25,350
    E) $385/mo x 72 months = $27,720 + $2,250 (trade, down) = $29,970

If it is A, then it is a really GREAT deal. If it is E, then, well.... too late anyway...