Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Regarding warranties, they wouldn't be sold unless they made money for the dealer and warranty company. Some people will come out ahead, most won't. If it makes you sleep better at night, consider one. You can buy it after you purchase the car and you can buy it from any Honda dealer so shop around if you want one. Stay away from third party companies.
  • Options
    jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    If you want an extended warranty then get it from an online Honda dealer, here's the warranty thread: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef0eeb7?displayRecent
  • Options
    mjk14mjk14 Member Posts: 12
    msrp- 24789 or around there
    dealer offered 22400 minus 500 flex cash= 21900
    doc fee 215
    reg 95
    nj tax 7%

OTD is approximate 23780 plus or minus a few dollars, I don't have the exact numbers of doc fee and reg but am sure on vehicle price. I also received another offer similar to this on the same vehicle at another dealer. The one offer was 416/month and the other was 414/month (0 down, 1.9% for 60). Seems fair but curious what others thought.
  • Options
    buyer157buyer157 Member Posts: 40
    hey MJK. That seems in line.

My price is about 350 more than yours, but I'm receiving 450 dollars worth of stuff ( mats, cargo tray, mudflaps installed, wheellocks, 75$ in service credits). Since I would have purchased these things anyway to protect and preserve value, it does represent real value to me.

NY has a lower average doc fee (75$) than NJ, but higher tax 8.625%, so my OTD will be higher.

I'm sure if you wait a month or two, prices on remaining 2013s will start to drop more aggressively, but it is a trade off.

Will you be able to get the color you want or forced to pick from remaining stock, how much is your current vehicle costing you, etc?.
  • Options
    vabestdealvabestdeal Member Posts: 4
    FYI, I bought my Honda Accord Sport last week - $23,094. Here is the formula: sticker price $24,980 - 7.5% ($1873) = $23,106 - this price include tax, tag, Freight and processing fee. Good luck
  • Options
    mrsfenwickmrsfenwick Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I secured a deal from Casey Honda in Newport News, VA

2013 Honda Accord Touring- Basque Red Pearl

Sale Price 30,957.66

OTD 32,318.00

Tell me if I did okay :)
  • Options
    ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Wrong formula. Never start at MSRP. Always start at invoice.

A better formula is to start with invoice amount which is available on Edmunds, subtract dealer holdback also available on Edmunds for the invoice amount, then subtract any incentives both to the dealer and customer from the invoice amount.

That net amount is an approximation of the dealer's cost. Never be able to really determine the dealer's actual cost due to hidden incentives. But this formula provides a reasonable starting point for determining the price you would like to pay.

Add a profit amount to the net amount calculated above and begin negotations from that point.

Always move up from your calculated amount in small increments. Never allow negotations to move down from MSRP. That will almost always result in a higher price.

Consider any dealer fees not required by the Government, such as documentation fees, as part of the net price. Such fees are not a cost they are part of the price.

If you want to learn from a dealer about documentation fees, check out Earl Stewart On Cars. Very insightful information from a car dealer.
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited June 2013
    When you negotiate a price with any dealer the starting formula is always

Invoice price minus Hold-back
    minus any cash incentives/ rebates
    minus doc fee's.

There is no reason to add a profit back to dealer on this starting number. Most of the time the above formula should be your starting point. Dealer is still making a profit.. Middle to End of the year model prices are lower due to more incentive money to dealerships so you need to adjust your asking price.

At this point and time you can get this whole formula on a Accord plus another 6 or 700 dollars depending on your region and how good you can negotiate. Usually to close on a deal in excess of 1300 below invoice it has to be done at the end of the month.

Ken is right.............. Everybody buying a new vehicle needs to question and fight these high doc fee charges/ admin fee's. You negotiate a good deal and give back 400 to 700 dollars.

Every vehicle i buy the first 2 questions i ask the internet mangers are
    1- what are your doc fee's
    2- will you remove them for the sale of this vehicle today.
    3- If the answer is no i adjust my asking price to buy.
    Cant get any simpler.
    Same applies to all you guys who go from one dealer to the next.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    Hey BUYER

Had a miserable flight home from Myrtle Beach last night. Bad delays got in late.

What did you decide on your Accord Sport did you buy it yet.

• Options
    hey Brian! I put a deposit down with my local dealer (net 22500 including mats, locks, flaps cargo tray and 75$ worth of service) + 75$ doc fee +TTL.

I'm out of town, so I've not executed. was planning to on Sunday. If another deal is significantly better (white prefered) I could consider breaking or renotiating. I don't mind paying a little more for buying locally for the exact car I want...would have a problem with my deal if you are finding a big price difference through your connections.
  • Options
    hey MJK - was that CVT or manual?
    How do you like the car?! Thrilled or buyers remorse?
    What kind of MPG are you seeing?

Love an update.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Does your sport have the rear deck lid?

just so where on the same page with price fill in the rest

Invoice w/ dest..................22,929
    minus flex...........................500
    total.................................22,429. how much is your below invoice price without flex??/
    What are mats/ reg/ mats come w car.. Do you mean all season mats they are $100 on line
    wheel locks are standard w car they are on all of the models
    mudguards are $69 dollars
    trunk tray is $95

just some words of advice in the future on buying cars and deposits..

Never give a deposit on a car unless you have both agreed on a price. That means your buying that day or dealer is ordering it for you. Always try to get a reciept that has wording refundable deposit. Your pretty much screwed on getting that money back.

• Options
    hi brian- thanks. Answer below - price is 200$ below invoice before flex cash.
    All weather mats. Cargo tray. Mudflaps are 69$, but not installed...having them installed in a shop, front and back would cost 140-150 total. They will do this for free.

Not sure what you mean by rear deck lid...if you mean the back spoiler, yes. If not, I'm not sure. I didn't ask.

On deposit - I did it on credit card only and never signed anything. I'm a very good visa customer, so I've never had an issue. But your warning is a good one. I only did it as I'm interested only in a white car, and they only have one coming in. I wanted to hold it. They would not without a deposit.
  • Options
    Hi, if you get your car above $23,100, you already paid toooo much. All 2013 honda accord sport will come with mats, mud guards, wheel locks. Sticker price - 7.5% is the out of the door price (include ALL fees and TAX and Tag) ...
  • Options
    Good idea that we all should start from the invoice price right ... so can you give me your Out of the door number ( which includes all FEEs, TAX and TAG)? I bet you that your number will be higher than $23,100.
  • Options
    For this model, you should offer $31,500 as the OTD. Good luck.
  • Options
    thanks for the input, but please check your data...I dont think that is accurate. Mudgaurds, cargo tray all weather mats are all extra equipment....at least from all the conversations I've had. If you go to the honda website you will see the same. I could be wrong, but there are plenty of other sport buyers on this thread would could clarify. If you can show me where you have your information, I'd appreciate it.

Also, tax in NYS is higer than yours 8.625% and license and registration fees are also higher...so OTD prices will never be equivilent. The only things that matters is dealer and doc fees + price of car.
  • Options
    Called Bayridge honda they had your car in stock white with the spoiler on it.

If you decide to break free from that other dealer Bayridge honda is 300 dollars cheaper than your deal right now. I told him i have 4 deals for 500 below and want another 400 plus flex cash to consider buying in Brooklyn that you live out in L.I.
    Your going to lose that deposit if you try and buy somewhere else. Why dont you inquiry about your deposit and i'll let you know what happens with pricing at Bayridge. Its hard to negotiate these kinds of numbers in the middle of the month.

Once again i suggest you tell your 10 min away from house dealer.

He needs to come down a few more hundred and dont look back and buy the car from him. or just take his deal it isn't bad.

i called one dealer had a 3 min conversation and im already 300 below your deal. buying a new car is hard enough. knowing how and when to buy/ what to say is the key.

keep me posted

Brian

• Options
    wow. I could use you around the office!

2 quick questions.
    a) is that 300$ less include the extras like the mats, cargo tray, mudflaps installed?
    b) does that 300$ also include that "400 less" or is he willing to go lower?

I assume no dealer or prep fees, just the 75$ doc fee, correct?
  • Options
    You are correct. all extra's Most sport models have the mudguards on them already. Every model has wheel locks on them. alot of buyers including myself have bought Accords with splash guards and wheel lock included in deal at no extra charge. They usually get the people to pay who ask for these items.

• Options
    Were at 500 below with your items. i told him i'm looking for another 400 off and the flex cash on top. i will keep you posted

• Options
    okay. If you can arrange another several hundred off, + the flex cash, I would have no choice but to come in on saturday and buy it. 500$ is enough to get me to consider doing it (brooklyn is over an hour away)...but when you start talking 8-900 $ I would absolutely HAVE to.

We would have to confirm that there was no additional dealer fees or charges that would negatively impact the deal. We should also communicate off line if this becomes serious.

We would also have to confirm that these are new vehicles, not ones with lots of brooklyn test drive miles! If he has two whites, I may have a second buyer!
  • Options
    vabestdeal, in additon to buyer157's point regarding OTD pricing, although mrsfenwick lives in your state, your recommendation regarding a Touring is not valid either using your simplistic 92.5% of MSRP. First, there is a different spread between MSRP and invoice between the Sport and the Touring and more importantly, supply and demand plays a large role. If there are 5 Tourings on the lots in VA and 500 buyers waiting, they will sell for more than MSRP. If there are 500 Tourings on the lot and only 5 buyers, they will get a much better deal than you did on your Sport. I know you are trying to be helpful, but a one size fits all formula is meaningless.
  • Options
    manurammanuram Member Posts: 1
    23100???/ are you sure this price include State and County tax?. I paid 2235+taxes which is almost 24k without any intensives? I worried did I pay too much?

Thanks
  • Options
    cid805cid805 Member Posts: 4
    Viper36 - Hope this information is not too late for you. I live in the Lehigh Valley, Pa. area and purchased a 2013 Accord EX (Hematite) on May 29 at $25,000 OTD (details posted earlier in this forum). The dealer was Lehigh Valley Honda and the buying experience was very positive. Had I waited another day, another dealer offered $24,900 OTD but that dealer was both farther away and had lower review scores.

At approximately a net $675 below invoice (dealer's documentation/profit fee factored in), I was happy with the result. I'll defer to Brian and others regarding the possibility that you can get that $24,900 OTD price lower.

Good luck with your purchase!
  • Options
    hey Brian - I have a personal email if you are able to send through some of those details. for 500 less, I think I can get my dealer to improve a little bit and close that gap down to about 2-300$. For more than that, I'll probably have little choice to haul out to brooklyn. If they come back and are willing to reduce further, let me know....my email is buyeronefiveseven at yahoo.

I'd be happy to call your sales person and discuss a Sat pick up!
  • Options
    ok

• Options
    pjl52pjl52 Member Posts: 26
    I live in 14618 zip but am willing to travel to NJ or Philly areas to pick up a car. Could someone advise as to the price I ought to aim for? I am somewhat confused: there does not seem to be incentives for cash purchases: is that correct?, also will I be confronted with advertising or other bogus fees in the negotiation? Are any of these fees beyond the destination charge valid?

(If there is no cash incentive, would it be possible to get the lease incentive, sign a lease and then immediately prepay the total without penalty in NY State? I must admit I am not very knowledgeable about leases either.)
  • Options
    I live in 14618 zip (Rochester NY) but am willing to travel to NJ or Philly areas to pick up a car. Could someone advise as to the price I ought to aim for? I am somewhat confused: there does not seem to be incentives for cash purchases: is that correct?, also will I be confronted with advertising or other bogus fees in the negotiation? Are any of these fees beyond the destination charge valid?

(If there is no cash incentive, would it be possible to get the lease incentive, sign a lease and then immediately prepay the total without penalty in NY State? I must admit I am not very knowledgeable about leases either.)
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I live in 14618 zip (Rochester NY) but am willing to travel to NJ or Philly areas to pick up a car. Could someone advise as to the price I ought to aim for? I am somewhat confused: there does not seem to be incentives for cash purchases: is that correct?, also will I be confronted with advertising or other bogus fees in the negotiation? Are any of these fees beyond the destination charge valid?

There is no penalty in prepaying the lease, aka large downpyament, but if your car is totaled the minute your drive it off the lot, you get nothing, since insruance will most likely only payoff the amount owed, which is $0 in your case.

There is no real incentive for the dealer to sell the car for cash, because now they have to count all those bills, and have someone run to the bank to deposit, and worry about theft.

They do, however, get $600 or so from Honda Finance if you finance through them.

So, if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, purchase the car via finance, and pay it off in 6 months.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    read posts 29,799 and 29,800 then ask your questions.
    most of the info your looking for can be found on the Edmunds home page.
    Prices,, dealer hold back, Incentives and rebates..

Read these boards go back 3 months and educate your self on buying.

then you will know exactly what questions to ask

• Options
    It is quite clear that you are not knowledgable about leasing because you will become the first person in history to do what you are proposing. I suggest you do some homework regarding the pros and cons of leasing and then worry about related incentives which, in all probability, won't be the reason you reach the decision whether to lease or buy in the end.
  • Options
    Apologies! Sorry for the stupid questions! I see the wisdom of taking the financing and paying it off early.

OK. I have read as you instructed. I see the following

20,639 invoice plus delivery

-$450 holdback on msrp

-$600 financing incentive to dealer

=19,589 total

Is this then the negotiating starting point, or does one leave the 600$ financing incentive to the dealer =$20,189?
  • Options
    mycar6886mycar6886 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Brian,

Did you also get some idea about the price for LX model when you contacted your dealers for Sport model? I'm thinking if I should buy the car earlier than end of June since I may need the car a little earlier. As you know, the current price I have is $500 below invoice without including the $500 flex cash. I used to call Atlantic Honda and their price is even higher than this. If I can get a price $ 800-$1000 below the invoice, then plus the $500 flex cash, I think I'll go for it.

Thanks again for all your posts, they are great!
  • Options
    The starting price to buy the LX manual is for the most part correct.
    Supply and Demand in your area will be a factor in pricing of the Lx manuel.
    You should be able to buy this model for at the minimum of 500 below dealers invoice to 1000 below... plus taxes, doc fee and dmv charges for your OTD price. This price is Excluding the 500 dollar flex cash you will add onto the back end of the sale if you qualify for finance thru honda corp.

Here is your first questions you ask every dealership after you tell him make and model you want.

1- What are your doc fee's

2-Will you remove or reduce them for the sale of this car. If dealers says no you add his doc fee price to the sale of your vehicle.

3- Does your dealership have flex cash if i finance thru you.

4- Here is my offer price to buy this vehicle today. without flex cash added.

5- You buy at the end of the month. Last 2 days last day.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I reached out to 2 dealers for buyer157. If he wants to take these deals its up to him to negotiate and close them.

I will let you know on pricing. you need to start calling dealers and letting each one know what price you buy at. Call 30 dealerships and tell each one here is my offer to buy this car today. You dont need me. i will speak to Bayridge and S.I honda on pricing.

You must be ready to buy Today. Need a color when i speak with dealer

• Options
    Buyer,
    Area pricing for the Sport model 500/600 below invoice for internet and smart buyers. With 2 dealers i called for you. I suggest as earlier posted to try for a couple hundred more off price with dealer closest to you.. As you see above prices are do- able with these 2 dealers.

On june 30th if i was buying a sport model i would make my calls and hope to find a few dealers looking to sell this model for 800 to 1000 below making my best deal that day. This model is a supply and demand car on most lots. Dealers in the new york, new jersey area are getting walk in customers and selling this model at Invoice price or above. They dont care right now.. Smart buyers/ negotiators are getting 500 below plus.

The best deal to get on this sport model has to be done the last days of the month.

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Apologies! Sorry for the stupid questions! I see the wisdom of taking the financing and paying it off early.

OK. I have read as you instructed. I see the following

20,639 invoice plus delivery

-$450 holdback on msrp

-$600 financing incentive to dealer

=19,589 total

Is this then the negotiating starting point, or does one leave the 600$ financing incentive to the dealer =$20,189?

The dealer is not going to let you get into the financing incentive. $500 flex cash, maybe....

However, when you go to the dealer with a wad or suitcase of cash, they know they are not getting that $600, so they will bargain harder. If you tell them you want to finance, they know they are getting the kickback from the finance corporation.

If your credit is shot you will not qualify for Honda Finance, they don't take anyone with less than perfect credit. Dealer may find someone else to finance, and may even pad the rate, i.e. you qualify for 6% and they tell you qualified for 7.5% rate... they keep the 1.5% difference.

They may have a "mandatory" Lo-jack, pin striping, paint protection, fabric protection, mud flaps, window etch, extended warranty, or muffler bearings/halogen blinker fluid installed. While they still give you the price of the car you want, they just add stuff at the back end.

So, lots of things to focus on, other than price of the car.
  • Options
    mycar6886mycar6886 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Brian, silver exterior color and grey interior color are my preference.
  • Options
    Thanks Brian!

I need to ask a few more questions:

When you say "dealer's invoice" I assume you have added destination fee to the official "invoice price", Correct?

You have not been explicit, but I think you are suggesting that I subtract "flex cash" from my offer price if I decide to finance.(I have perfect credit thus I do not need it)

If I do finance to get the flex cash, can I pay off the loan right away without penalty?

If I take that route, should I walk if they say "no" to flex cash?

Rochester NY only has 3 dealers, and there are a few more in Buffalo. But I imagine that I will get a better deal in a more competitive area. I have business near NYC and Philadelphia and points in between. Can you suggest dealer(s) in that area that might be receptive to doing a deal over the phone and giving me the best deal?

Thanks again,

Phil
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Phil,
    Its best to add the dest/ charge to the invoice price of the car when negotiating prices so there is no misunderstanding between you and the dealer.
    The dealers that have flex cash will subtract that 500 off your negotiated price If you qualify.

You could pay off the loan after 7 or 10 days. Take advantage of dealerships that have the 500 flex cash..

Your coarse of action is to call and target dealerships first and inquiry about flex cash money if you buy and finance at there dealership.

If you call below dealerships on june 29th speak only to the internet sales manager for the sale that day holding your purchase with a credit card deposit til you could pick up your vehicle. make sure you go over all pricing with a out the door price total.. 600 to 1000 below invoice price is a good deal. If your not purchasing the sport model start your price at 1k below invoice with dest/charge included so there is no confusion.

When you agree on a price you feel is acceptable make sure that price was excluding the flex cash incentives. Some dealers are sneaky and will add that to get you to your asking number.

New Rochelle.............. high volume dealership/ good dealership
    Friendly .................... high volume..... in Westchester/Poughkeepsie n.y.
    Yonkers honda.........Internet mgr... Rich. S will give you bottom line price
    New York doc fee's are only 75 dollars
    N.J doc's are $249 to 400 dollars
    check board to see what dealers are selling cheaper than others.

i like to make a list of 30/40 dealers and go down the line at the end of the month and make my best deal.

have fun good luck

brian

• Options
    edited June 2013
    New Jersey dealers
    autosport, hamilton, garden state, paul miller, dch paramus,dch oldbridge, joyce, some of the better dealerships.

There is one high volume dealership in Albany check them for pricing.

Most of these dealerships will quote you within 150 dollars of the same price. its always a waste of time unless your buying that day.
    The key to getting the best deal is buying at the end of the month.

• Options
    thawdathawda Member Posts: 17
    Since I already posted in the forum, what colors is most demand color for Accord 2013 EXL? I am also thinking or debating between Basque red and Champagne? Anybody has any ideas about what color looks best on Accord?
  • Options
    gene103gene103 Member Posts: 47
    thawda, please, let's keep on topic. Let's focus on helping get good deals and sharing buying experiences. Choose the color you like.
  • Options
    gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    With all due respect, many times color choice has a direct impact when tying to negotiate a good deal just as supply and demand does - if you don't want to offer advice that's fine but it does no good at all to berate the guy for requesting information.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    It's part of the buying experience. White, silver and black are the most popular colors. I like both the champagne and dark red. I think the dark red looks great with the tan leather. Fortunately they had one or two on the lot when we were looking.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    If you are interested in traveling, you should try some of the volume Honda dealers in the DC area. Criswell, Sport, Pohanka, Northwest, and Norris seem to be willing to offer great deals. They all have robust Internet sales departments. I have had good luck with Criswell.
  • Options
    and with all due respect to your reply, I did not berate thawda. Yes, I agree with you that supply and demand regarding color choices will impact negotiations, but thawda does not appear to be looking at that angle. Looks like he's curious as to what others think of his preferences. Knowing what color is in most demand does not equate to paying a higher price if dealers are well stocked in that color and he is asking what you think looks good on an Accord. Look at suydam's response. He mentions popular colors and his own preferences. Just trying to keep this forum on topic. If someone has some anecdotal evidence regarding specific colors and pricing, that's great but frankly I don't think most of us are interested in each others tastes. Thanks
  • Options
    gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    If you look at his post, he asked about colors as related to demand, and it looks like because he had established some back and forth in this forum, he posted here. Most folks here really don't have a problem with that and one even offered his opinion. If the mods disagree, they'll probably let him know. Some of the posters here are just learning the buying process, so whatever info that can be provided helps educate them so they can get the best deal possible. I understand your point, but I think there are folks around here that would be happy to provide some insight into what he was asking.
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • Options
    Let's agree to disagree. :) thawda believes he has an OTD price locked based on his earlier post so I think his post doesn't relate to his negotiations. Of course, if thawda says he is going to choose a color to get the price down further (he's already getting the best price ever on an EXL if his deal closes at his expected price), I will stand corrected as thawda goes into the negotiating hall of fame