Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• guptas4guptas4 Member Posts: 2
    Julian - it was Autosport Honda in Bridgewater NJ
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    The Edmunds TMV is an average price. TMV should, IMHO, be viewed as a maximum. Since average, by definition, means half buyers paid less it makes sense to be in the half that pays less.

Also go to True Car and get their target price. That price is also overstated but gives you another bit of information. At a minimum the TC price is overstated by $300 which is the fee dealers pay to TC for each sale.

A good method to develop a price goal is to take the invoice price, reduced by the dealer holdback, available on Edmunds, then reduced by any customer cash or dealer cash, also available on Edmunds. That gives you a reasonable estimate of the dealer cost. I say reasonable because there are often additional incentives for the dealer which are very difficult to obtain.

Work your deal up from that number not down from the dealer's number.

In the F&I office it is often advisable to let the dealer offer financing, provided you have obtain actual financing information from your bank or credit union. Dealers can sometimes beat that financing. It is usually smart to take any OEM financing if available.

In the F&I office, just say NO to any product offered. All, including the extended service contract, are vastly overpriced and represent a significant profit source for the dealer. Profit for the dealer means cost to you.

You can work with dealers using email. However, the best deals will almost always be attained via a face to face negotiation session. Use the internet to identify dealers who have embraced the internet. Avoid any dealer who refuses to provide a price.

When you get to the dealer tell them your price. There is no need to play games, that just wastes time. Present your price, if it is reasonable they will negotiate something close to that number. If not, they will come back with a much higher price. At that point you need to decide if your price is too low or if you would be better served looking elsehwere.

In a car negotiation a buyers most valuable tool is their feet. At any time simply say thanks and walk away. At that point you will learn if your price is reasonale or if the dealer will deal. No dealer will let you walk if your price is reasonable. They know if you leave you will most likely not be back.
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    There really is never a good reason to put a deposit down for a vehicle. There is no law or regulation requiring a deposit. Dealers try to get buyers to place a deposit because they feel it places more pressure on the buyer to buy the vehicle.

When buying a car it is important to recognize the dealer must sell you the vehicle. Sure another buyer might come but every day costs the dealer money, they want to sell to you. You can always use your feet and go elsewhere.

Dealers need you more than you need them.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Nice post, but your definition of "average" was actually the definition of "median" :)
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited July 2013
    LOL..... I enjoyed your post. Only one comment... Honda buyers do alot of walking in an out of these dealerships making reasonable pricing requests. The question is how and when to buy?? Here is my point.. I could call/ email about 50 dealerships in 1 hour and find out price and or buy my vehicle.This is done at the end of any month on the last days.. How long would it take you to visit 50 dealerships on foot and get your answers.. Internet buying to me is the only way to go today. Its Quick, Easy, direct, very effective,,,It cuts out that whole salesman to manager Nonsense. The best part is A Internet buyer could cover 4 or 5 states and find out market pricing within 1 hour. Having dealer send over a faxed buyers order to sign for the sale. On occasion i do walk into a dealership with a price but i'm a expert in New Car Negotiation buying. I see that the game has not changed much in many dealerships.
    The Salesmans job is to lie, deceive, hold you there , wear you down and make as much money off you. Once a salesman identify's you as CLUELESS his manager comes in for the knock out. And thats where the fun begins for your hard earned money...LOL

The bottom line here is Knowing How and When to buy. If your not a good negotiator or your a first time buyer You must read thur these post and Educate yourself on pricing and what not to do when buying. There are many posters who have good techniques on buying and experiences .

Use them to your advantage.

And for your money's sake stop trying to buy cars in the 1st,, 3 weeks of any month. You start your buying process the last week. Buying on the last days of the month.

last poster karhill made a good point and i just wanted to add something to that.
    Other dealer incentives are hard to obtain. Very true thats why in addition to the dealers invoice price, minus hold-back, and incentives do to consumer You take dealerships doc fee's and add them onto your asking or target price.

If and when you guys are ready to step up to the big leagues in the buying game. We could talk about internet buying and some tips/ tricks to getting the best possible deal.

If your not having fun your not buying a car the right way.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• jplatt2jplatt2 Member Posts: 24
    Brian, how exactly did you buy your car?
    Thanks
    edited July 2013
    At 25 mins before closing at 9pm i squeezed my local dealership into matching almost my best offers from other dealerships on Feb,28th. I took a shot at assuming they would match and they did at 775 below dealers invoice for a exl v-6/. I was actually on the phone closing the same deal with another dealership that night if my local dealer said no.

To answer your question excluding my Accord that i bought feb,28th and posted buying details in early March...............

I bought 3 Accords for friends on line with buyers orders faxed to them in the last 4 months I also negotiated a deal for my neighbors Accord on line and went into Brooklyn to Bayridge honda to pick it up with her.

• rsvrrsvr Member Posts: 21
    What a NIGHTMARE.....

So I went to the dealership to pickup my Accord Sport CVT on July 5th, and I had to wait for more than an hour to finally take a look at the car and go through the checklist. During that wait time, I signed a personal reference paper and they wanted insurance papers, so I gave them my old car papers and they wanted me to change the insurance to the new accord and handed me the VIN #. I told them that I would do that only after I take a look at the car and so finally they said the car was ready to be inspected. I walk out to the car and within a minute notice a scratch on the hood. So I requested them to fix it. They asked me to sign the papers and take the delivery and they will fix it in a week as the body shop was closed. So I asked them how are they going to fix it and they were like...scrape the paint off and then repaint it. As I didn't want that to be done to my brand new car, I asked if they would replace the hood with an OEM hood. They said they can't do it as the serial numbers do not match. So I asked them when their next truck load was coming and it was in the 2nd week of August but the model I wanted was already sold. So my option was to order a new one and it would take 90 days to get it. After sometime, I was informed that the car that's going to be here in the 2nd week of AUG is now available. So I decided to wait and bought a $3000 pickup truck for the next month and a half as I didn't want to lose $1200 by renting a car. It's a freaking nightmare buying a new car at a good price. Wish other dealers would match the price I was getting here.
    So should I take the delivery of the car in Aug or wait couple of weeks and buy a 2014 model? Is there a confirmed date as to when 2014's will be available?

Thanks!
  • pootmapootma Member Posts: 2
    In Albany, NY, just got 2013 Accord EX-L w/out Navi

for $25,675 + 7% tax + $222.50 title reg/lic plate - $500 AHM Flex bonus = $27,194.75 final price. Financing w/ 0.9% over 36 mo.

The dealer also gives 5 free oil changes and free state inspection for the life of the car. I figure this is worth at least $500.

I think it's a decent deal.
  • griptwistergriptwister Member Posts: 1
    Brian, with all the experience and knowledge you have in this arena, have you ever considered offering a fee-based vehicle purchasing service? I'm sure you stand to make some decent side income from it.
  • camokatucamokatu Member Posts: 19
    I am looking to lease this car, but unfortunately it's very hard to find a dealer who carries them. I did find through cars.com (not sure how accurate their number are) that one dealer in my area has 5 of them in stock. I wanted to wait until next week to call this dealer, but now thinking if I should start probing dealers earlier? Also, how likely is that another dealer who might give me a better price get this car from another dealer who has them during end of July?
    I should have 35 years ago but No...................... i'll gladly help anyone in here who asks for my experience and knowledge for free. Tks

edited July 2013
    2014's might not hit dealers lots til end of Sept. Pricing will not be favorable on the limited amount of 2014 Accords on lots for several months.

If you could wait and afford a 2014 model my best guess on pricing

Invoice price being a very good deal. and paying no more than 500 above dealers invoice on the 2014 model.

• pistol45pistol45 Member Posts: 4
    21470 plus tax ect. About 900 below invoice location MPLS. True Value not in Mn. What do you think? Thanks
    Hi Brian,
    I called Honda Automotive and they said the tentative launch date for 2014 Accords is mid August. So I guess I will wait and see if there's going to be any new features added to the sport. If its worth it, i will go with 2014 if not 2013.
    I think im pretty good at getting great deals but might need your help with 2014's :)
    Thanks!
  • mnz1999mnz1999 Member Posts: 12
    what's the dealer name and Sales's person if possible? i am from albany as well and trying to find a good deal but no one will come close to it.
    thanks
  • tifosiantifosian Member Posts: 6
    I was planning to pruchase the V6 by the end of July, but..if the 2014's will be available by end of august i might well wait to purchase it ..assuming they don't jack up the price or introduce a new set of bugs.
    edited July 2013
    Being prepared to buy a 2014 model is the key. You want to determine the price market in your area .

Here is how you find out.

Take 15 mins. each day til you make a list of 30 or more dealerships. Find out each dealerships internet manager, Name, Number, and Email address. If you dont mind traveling a couple of hours to buy if thats where the deal is find out those dealerships. Start your calls and emails on july 30th. Letting each dealerships internet mgr. know you will buy at invoice price on that day for your model choice / color, .... holding sale with a credit card deposit. If pricing is at MSRP or 1000 below that

Repeat process on August 29th maybe this time making your best price deal.
    Or
    Repeat process again on Sept 29th buying from what ever dealership is closest to invoice price.

High volume stores will be more inclined to sell closer to invoice than the little guy.By Contacting and starting your negotiation process in july will help you obtain the best price by Sept.

Be prepared to pay well above invoice price if your buying a 2014 model. Were back to supply and demand on this model for several months. The 2013 model is where you will find a really good deal now and in these next 2 or 3 months.

Brian,

I will do as you said. I don't mind traveling a couple of hundred miles but preferred local dealership as they have "warranty forever" and they were the cheapest on Accord Sport. Don't know what the catch is but it's free if you buy a car from that dealership.
    Thanks Again!
    Warranty forever is a dealer scam or buying ploy to make you think your getting something more but in reality if you read the fine print on that warranty it covers nothing of importants.

• owned3hondasowned3hondas Member Posts: 41
    5 oil change is 125, free state inspection is worth zero,
    Emissions is bulk of cost.
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,008
    So far, most internet sales quote I have received on the Accord EX-L is around $25,500 with some dealers offering an additional $500 (on a first come first serve basis) if I finance through HFS. $25k is still above what I would want to pay. I was hoping to pay not more than $24.5k plus taxes, doc fees, etc...

Do you think it will be a good idea to email some of the internet managers at dealerships I have already contacted at the end of the month or should I just call them up and state my price and see if they will bite?

Since 2014 models are less than a couple of months away from release, when should I expect huge discounts on the 2013 models?

Any advice will be well appreciated.
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
    Hi, What price relative invoice would you think a 2014 lx accord could be bought for in late Dec. Trying do decide 2013 in late August or 2014 late Dec. Thanks!
  • bender25bender25 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a particular Accord. All dealers that I've talked to and what checked in edmunds' inventory search shows that this dealer has 5 cars I am looking for whereas others only one. Should I be suspicious of this? These dealers are about two hours from me so I don't want to drive there for nothing. The dealer with 5 cars gave the best price so far, so I am somewhat motivated based on that. How can make sure dealer doesn't screw me over when I get there in person? Thanks!
  • yumyumcakeyumyumcake Member Posts: 1
    Hey Brian,

I would appreciate yours or anyone else's input. I am looking for the Accord Ex-L V6 w/ Navi and believe it is the Honda Clearance event at the moment. MSPR is 32,860, True Market Value said approx. 32k. Now with the clearance event, are you familiar with pricing? How can I calculate the best price during this time?

Thanks in advance to anyone's input!
    After calculating the dealerships doc fee's into your target price you should be shooting for 1500 below invoice price on most models. At worst case settling for 1000 below dealers invoice price.
    You could find model pricing on Edmunds home page.

edited July 2013
    Huge savings like 2000 below invoice... More towards the very end of the year. The bigger question is if i buy a 2013 model in Nov, or Dec, 2013

How much did the 2013 accord model depreciate. On jan, 1st, 2014. it is now a 1 year old model.

Is buying the 2013 Accord for 1500 or 1800 below invoice worth it in a couple of months.
    If you compare a 2011 Accord lx with 4k miles to a
    .....................2012 Accord lx with 6 miles here are your numbers

2011 LX= $ 17,477 Dealers retail
    2012 Lx=$ 19,598 Dealer retail

Going to re check my numbers against kbb, and galves

Your Sale price on a 2013 Accord needs to be more than $2120 below invoice to recoup depreciation value not buying the newer model.
    If i'm buying its a no brainer i want the 2014 model.

• pootmapootma Member Posts: 2
    I did it by requesting specific config quotes through edmunds, then I got 5 replies, and after emailing back and forth, Keeler Honda had the deal I mentioned. Looks like the forum policy prohibit publishing the sales agent name. His initials is KH.
    Brian,

That post makes a lot of sense. 2014 it is....
  • spartanfanspartanfan Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Just paid $23778.00 last week which includes destination in Michigan for a 2013 EX. Was able to get $500.00 off by financing but plan to pay off after the 3 months necessary to get the discount. Probably could of done better but they also threw in paying up to $500.00 on your deductible for collision on any make of car in your household for 3 years. Was also able to get their tire and rim protection plan, roadside service, paint and fabric protection, windshield protection and theft for $700.00 I know seems best not to do but in Michigan there are many potholes and because we plan to take alot of cross country trips the roadside is nice to have. Had one car's finish here get nailed by acid rain so this is covered as well. They will also clean out all the salt stains on the flooring when you come in for oil changes. Did not take the extended warranty at this time.
    edited July 2013
    You have to deal with the internet sales manager and only him . If your stupid enough to drive 2 hours on a dealers word without a faxed buyers order or some kind of agreement in writing you will be wasting your time, gas,and money. Not to mention very pissed off. Negotiate the deal on the phone letting that dealership know your 3 hours away and if he wants your business you need a faxed bill of sale/ with all the details of your purchase. You then hold that vehicle sale after looking over buyers order with a credit card deposit til you could get down to that dealership to pick up vehicle. 95% of all of my car buying is done this way. Read my prior posts on buying like this its pretty easy.. You just need to be by a fax machine.

Sorry for all the run on's i'm late for my golf tee time. just keep on asking for help you'll get it in this forum... If you want i will post later what you should tell 2 hr dealer and how to nail down sale with him.

• racinwtih8racinwtih8 Member Posts: 4
    Just got my 2013 EX-L V6 (no nav). Traded my 2010 Maxima in at Joe Morgan Honda Cincinnati. Had a couple months left but had the new car itch. I took about a $550 burn on my trade under current payoff but I would have to give Nissan $400 disposal at term so I was ok with it. They gave me the Edmund's very good condition quote on trade in. Even though the car fit dealerships usually only give the good range on trade. Got the car for $27150 with MSRP at $30,860. My lease payment including everything is $379 for 36 @12k per year. I believe the residual is around 18K(don't have paperwork in front of me)and the money factor was .00075. Did a lot of price comparing and home work and believe I got a good deal considering that of the $379 about $15 a month was my negative equity. I did not put a penny down and second payment due in a month.
  • tiger100kutiger100ku Member Posts: 1
    That makes sense to me if your planning on selling the car in a year or two but lets assume you keep your car for 7,8, 9 years or longer. What would the retail value difference be between an 8 year old accord with 90k miles and a 9 year old accord with 90k miles. I'm guessing its difficult to make the same argument using that scenario. Being that i'm the type of person that keeps their cars for more than a couple of years I believe it makes more financial since to buy the 2013 model for $2k less, assuming there is not a feature in the 2014 model that I really desire.
    edited July 2013
    Hi All,

I am looking for the 2013 EXl- v6 sedan in NJ Area . According to Edmund's True Market Value , the invoice is 27,500.

1: Does this accurately reflect the dealers invoice,since

2: When targeting 1500 below invoice, would my purchase price be 26,000 +destination+doc (Assuming no other dealer fees) ?

Thanks.
  • racinwtih8racinwtih8 Member Posts: 4
    I believe that price does not include the destination charge which is typically 700-800. I believe the invoice is $28,292 on that model, which is what I have. I paid 27,150 which is about 1,100 under invoice. Another dealership offered me 26,995 but less on my trade...typical moving from one column to another on the doc sheet to make things look better on the trade side. I would think anything on the 27k range on the car itself is a good deal, plus your doc fees and taxes.
  • mvance30mvance30 Member Posts: 1
    whats your location? is your price with or without dest? $25,500 without dest is a bit too high. with dest its a good price. its going to be a stretch to get to $24.5 unless its a few months from now but keep in mind, you'll have slimmer pickings.
  • sfgiants28sfgiants28 Member Posts: 2
    Is this a good price 2013 Accord sedan sport? I'm in Northern CA.

$22,488.00 Net Sale Price
    $2,018.45 Sales Tax (8.75%)
    $296.75 DMV Fees
    $80.00 Doc Fee
    $24,883.20 Total Price

Thanks!
    Hi Brian,

If u don' t mind asking...can u quote the price with dest & doc fees for the EXL-V6 which u had earlier purchased.

Thanks,
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,008
    I live in the North shore. My price includes destination.

I received a recent quote from one dealer for $25,000 including destination charges (after $500 discount for financing through HFS). I have not accepted that deal yet. I am still shopping around.

I have a few dilemmas:

1. Wait till the end of the month and see what deals can be made
    2. Wait for the 2014 models to be released and see what deals can be made on remaining 2013 models.

I am in no rush for a new car, but at the same time I do not want to wait till Nov/Dec.
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
    edited July 2013
    MY deal was on Feb,28th. purchased EXL V-6 with dest/ charge included in price below

$27,500 about $775 below invoice price.

My local dealer could not match some of my better offers so to make this deal work the doc fee charge was reduced to $25 dollars , gave me 3, free oil changes and threw in the splash guards on vehicle. Dealer only asked that i finance some of the car to make deal possible. Dealer matched Penn fed credit unions Interest rate. Paid off the 10k loan 3 weeks later and all party's were happy.
    Funning thing Ive been telling my local dealership S.I. Honda for the past 35 yrs how bad a dealership they are/ How much money they lose on locals going elsewhere, and how clueless there internet dept is. Maybe they just wanted to shut me up for once. Or maybe there stupidity is hitting them in the pocket with all the competition passing them by.

• nw_lanw_la Member Posts: 6
    Within 100 miles of Shreveport, LA there are 5 Honda dealers. Please tell me if you think this offer will fly on July 30-31. Honda LX invoice price: $20,579.
    - 1,000 (my attempted discount)
    + 790 (destination charge)
    + XXX (TTL)
    - 5,000 (down payment)
    - 500 (Flex cash if applicable)

Am I being too optimistic? Should I send an offer to all 5 or just 2 in the beginning? I want an alabaster silver, but there's only a few left. I think that I should make my move now to get the right color. What do you think? Thanks for any information.
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the info...that was an awesome deal .

As a matter of fact I haven't been able to get a quote below 27,600(dest+doc included) in NJ area ,the last time I checked with the local dealerships...which was the end of June.
    Thanks for the info...My bad ..i forgot to include the dest fees as part of the dealer invoice 27500+792=28,292 in my purchase price.
    edited July 2013
    Edmunds

You guys did a terrible job on the new Model and Prices web page. Trying to navigate thru models and get pricing with destination charges is frustrating. Are you guys trying to compete with kbb pricing page that is now very similar to yours..

Come on keep it simply the last page was so much easier.

KBB puts the retail price of a 2012 lx accord with 12k miles 0nly $500.00 more than a 2011 lx with 12K miles. source KBB.com
    Mpls. Sport with Sams Club Discount is 23k...
    Can you share who the dealer is? $25k for an EXL w/o navi is a goooood deal in my opinion.
    edited July 2013
    Will there be any new features in the 2014 sport model? Is the additional $1500 - $2000 worth it? Dealership tried to convince me that there will not be any change and '14s wont be out until December, which is not true as HONDA confirmed it's going to be mid August. Wish there was a way to find out about the features....anyone know people inside HONDA ;)

I thought of waiting for a '14 model but the dealership called this morning saying my Sport was ready to be picked up. I'm in a dilemma now. I paid $500 deposit....I know I shouldn't have done that but that was in June as I was sure about '13 Sport and they said they will get it from another dealership next day. They messed up and said I will be getting the car in the 2nd week of August so I had to buy a truck thinking I'll be without a car for 45 days(didn't want to lose money renting it).
    Is there anyway I could get my money back as they said the '14s will be sold at MSRP?
    edited July 2013
    I also check kbb and you are correct. 500 dollars between model years seems very odd. I used Edmunds and Nada pricing and there is a 1200 dollar difference in years which seems fine on a lower end model Accord.

The only other finding was On Nada you could search many dealerships and pricing.. Dealers have the 2011 and 2012 Lx models between 1500 to 2400 difference in years. I found no accords that close in the price range of kbb.

Galves is a good indicator on used car pricing.

edited July 2013
    New Accords will start to hit dealers lots at the end of Sept. Or early Oct. Your dealer already tip his hand he wants msrp for a 2014 and most dealership will try to get it.
    I posted on this subject a couple up on 2014 pricing. Make those calls....

As far as i know on all reports the 2014 Accord there is no changes. Maybe Honda might tweak there CVT engine there have been alot of complaints on the 2013 model year.