Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• happymanmenhappymanmen Member Posts: 7
    That's right! the current one 0.9% 60 months is offered on 7/9/13 to 9/3/13, but i bought my coupe on 6/28/13. Is the 0.9% 60 months already post it on May 1, 2013 through July 8, 2013? If yes, my sales man may make mistake
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    A drive is no problem for a good deal. Bought my current Accord in San Antonio for $2,000 below invoice. Alas that was in 2004.
  • rsvrrsvr Member Posts: 21
    Well, if you look at the price, I think they still made money on it. If not they wouldn't have agreed to bring the car from another dealership initially, at that price.
  • joeg8joeg8 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    I want to buy a Honda Accord LX 2013 but I am still waiting for the price to drop a bit (i'm trying to get the LX for $19,000+tax and fees).
    I assume that there will be substantial incentives for the 2013 model once the 2014 cars are in the showrooms.
    Some posts suggested mid-August as the release date. The sales people at the dealership say September-October.
    Any thoughts?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    The new Accord is selling really well. I think they'll put mild incentives on in a little while, but nothing big.

19,000+ttl might be possible for the manual, but even that seems unlikely. For the CVT, my guess is that 19.8 will be the lowest you'll be able to get, and again a few hundred more than that is a more likely price.

But I might be wrong.

Other guesses?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • johnb30johnb30 Member Posts: 3
    lol I bought my 2013 honda accord ex-l OTD for 30,500

and guess what, it was a v-6....

I believe I got the best deal......

the v-6 upgrade from a v-4 is 3k ...

JUST WALK OUT THE DEALER AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A CALL TOMORROW.. PEOPLES
    =( dont be angry I got my 2013 honda accord v-6 exl with nav for 30,000 out the door
    DONT BUY IT, I GOT M 2013 Y ACCORD EX-L V6 31K OUT THE DOOR... OTD
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    the v-6 upgrade from a v-4 is 3k ...

If you had a V4 Accord in front of you, you should have grabbed it, no matter what price. Honda has put cabash on V4 engines back in the 90's. So, if you really had a V4 powered Accord in front of you, that means it was a rare prototype that slipped out of R&D, and would have been worth MILLIONS on the auction and collectors market.

I had a 1983 Honda Magna V45 (VF750 V4 engine) with a 6 speed sequential manual transmission. That thing flew. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. And it was very fuel efficient, 50-60 mpg, depending on how you drove it, and all without hybrid trickery, and complexity.

The best part is that I sold a 30 year old Magna V4 for more than I bought it.

So, next time you see a V4 powered Accord infront of you, GRAB IT!
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    edited July 2013
    Congrats on your purchase. Where are you located?

Can you provide details such as sales price, any add-ons, incentives, doc fees, etc....?
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • rvsk1rvsk1 Member Posts: 9
    Vinnu,
    can you pl let me know the sales associate you dealt @ McDavid
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Joe
    2014 Accords are scheduled to hit dealers lots sometime in Mid Sept. No dealership can give you a exact date. I'm sure if you call Honda corp they have a start del. date. You could Assume end of Sept, into 1st week of Oct.

You guys are not going to find Accord sport, EXL4 or EXL6, or touring models for prices at 2k below invoice or better right now or next month. OCT thru Dec,2013 models and colors that are not selling is where you will find that really good deal.

Pricing on the 2013 Accords will remain at 1k to almost 1800 below invoice in certain area's.

If you are interested in a certain model and color/2013 buy it before Oct,1 with a target price of 2k below invoice with any incentives that apply.

Most dealers will be working the price on a 2014 ACCORD'S at MSRP to 500 below .
    If you could buy a 2014 Model at Invoice or 500 above in Sept/ Oct/ Nov. its a good deal.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• gene103gene103 Member Posts: 47
    First you post $30.5K, then $30K, and then $31K and you give an OTD price, so we have no idea what kind of a deal you got.
    Do you think people from Nov-12 are sitting around waiting for your advice. They had to pay a premium because it was early in the model year but have been enjoying their car for months. Even my gullible mother-in-law can negotiate a better price on the car today then a savvy negotiator last Oct.
    As Brians says, there will be deals on the 13 models late in the year so how are you going to respond if someone who pays less than you replies back to you that you shouldn't have bought in July?
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    edited July 2013
    Gene - this poster (johnb30) apparently has some underlying issues that most of us on this forum will not be able to help with. Hopefully, he will be banned or go away on his own - he needs to find some help for his problems.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • vinnuvinnu Member Posts: 3
    As per the forum guidelines I am not supposed to post sales person name in the forum. Please share your email address and I can mail you the required details.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post last names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texashonda1texashonda1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks!
  • fiona6fiona6 Member Posts: 9
    Joe

Is your LX manual transmission or CVT?? Thanks.

I want to but a LX CVT and would like to see what is a good price.
  • user404user404 Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2013
    I am looking to lease Accord next week and I want to trade-in my current lease. I know I would do better if I were to sell car myself, but don't have time nor will. So, what can I expect during trade-in process? Also, two of my front tires are in bad shape about 2/32 thread, is this a concern? I don't know if it's worth changing myself or negotiate with dealer?
    Brian;

Thank you so much for your help on my Accord LX CVT question. I didn't realize that I was asking questions in the CR-V forum. I haven't bought any vehicle in U.S. so I am still learning how to buy online and ask for quote from dealers. I didn't find all the posts that you made about LX, but with what you mentioned for the invoice price with destination charge= 21,369, is 20,000 a good price to start or even 19,800? I am scheduling several test drives in one day so would you give me some advice on how to start the negotiation after all the test drives. Thanks!

Fiona
    fiona,
    I read your post in the CRV forum. Post in the accord forum and i will guide you in the right direction. 1st off you are correct that dealer gave you a terrible price quote. A LX model Accord at worst case should be starting at 1000 below invoice price. Check this forum to see who purchase in your area.

Mistake number one when buying is asking a dealership for his version of a price. Getting a online E-price quote is fine but when you are ready to buy you make your calls to as many dealerships closest to your house and as far as you want to travel to buy vehicle, With YOUR targeted price to buy that day. You do this on the last days of the month. If you cant handle negotiating by phone put on sneakers and off you go to as many -dealerships it takes to get 1k or better.................. By PHONE

You let each dealerships internet manager know this is my target price to buy today. Do you want the sale. YES or No and go down the line of dealerships. Non friendly internet dealerships who wont discuss price and think your money is no good by phone just hang up and move on.

If a dealership and you agree on a price you could either go to dealership or have him/her fax over the bill of sale of vehicle and the otd pricing holding sale with a credit card deposit. if your a 1st time buyer and i'm losing you............. get a agreed on price with any one of the internet sales managers and go down to the dealership.

If your state has high doc fee charges take them into consideration when figuring your asking price to buy. Read all the post in this forum on buying so your ready. Get outside finance ready and approved if your credit is bad/ make dealership match or beat price.

If Jay honda is not to far away it might pay off to call/ email.. If Int/mgr Dennis is still there he will not play games and try to seal deal if he knows your buying on that day.

edited July 2013
    i did not realize you were this new to the Car game. i think your in for a hell of a time..... a experience you will never forget..Go test drive your models. Do not let any dealership know you are ready to buy that day. After your test drives go home think about what model and color you like best.

Make your calls to 10 or more dealerships with your target price. negotiate on the phone 1st then go back down to dealership.
    ......................OR

Just tell each dealership you will buy on that day for 1500 below invoice price plus any incentives you qualify for... be prepared for the salesman/ manager song and dance routine. Tell your salesman if thats the route your taking he has 5 mins and 1 shot to ask manager 1x for a yes or no on price and your leaving. If dealership counters your offer tell him you will think about it then leave.

Be firm on 1500 below invoice price plus any rebates and incentives that apply to you. Invoice w/ dest charge is $ 21,369
    minus 1500 off that price= 19,869
    If you cant get 1500 below invoice work that number back to and not going lower than 1000 below dealers invoice of 20,369 for the lx model.

The LX model is discounted the most because dealers have alot more on there lots.

Say NO to anything the dealership is selling in that back office when signing vehicle paperwork. Anything that is sold back there cost a fraction of the price they want you to pay.

Brian,

How can we as consumers trust the salesman to tell us what incentives we qualify for when buying a car?

The only incentive I am aware of from Honda is the flexcash (usually $500, which is available on a first come first serve basis) when financing through Honda Financial Services.

Feel free to provide any valuable information since I am debating whether to use that same tactic at the end of this month.

Thanks,
    Mike
    edited July 2013
    mike
    I hear you. On flex cash incentive, some dealers have it to give some do not.
    some dealers only apply it to a lease vehicle, other dealers will give it on the finance side of the deal. Some dealers may have it and not tell you.

You have to keep checking the internet sites......... kbb, Edmunds for Incentive and rebate changes. If you noticed the flex cash incentive is not listed. Not all dealership have it to give.

No matter how you end up buying your Vehicle On-line/phone or walking into the dealerships dont it make alot of sense to call ahead to each dealership and ask the internet sales dept. these very 2 important questions.

1- Is your dealership offering flex cash for financing thru honda

2-What are your dealerships doc fee's

Hit all the dealers first with flex cash to offer / lowest doc fee's

edited July 2013
    Thanks for the info, Brian.
    Brain:

Thank you so much for the insight! It's really really helpful. I would never start with 1500 below invoice if I didn't read posts on this forum. I heard about the salesman/manager thing. It's a lot of pressure for me but I will be prepared.

After the test drive, should I get a worksheet from each dealer for a list of all invoiced, fees, taxes, etc. with OTD?
  • rouzbehrouzbeh Member Posts: 6
    I finally got my 2013 accord sedan EX-L CVT without Nav for 24500+199+2.5 (State fee)+1700(tax) I still have pay some for title and registration. I worked my deal with Joe B. From St.Louis Honda (Munganast Honda). He was very helpful and patient with me. I got my insurance from Geico for 425/6 month paid in full.
    Congrats on the purchase. What is the color combination?
    I have been looking for a similar deal in the Northeast (MA) for the past few weeks.

Did you purchase any options? Were there any dealer add-ons?
    How did you go about negotiating that sale price? Did it include any flex cash?
  • nwh505nwh505 Member Posts: 4
    Mike (and Town Hall)

I've been in the car business for 3 years (Corwin Honda/Hyundai/Nissan), and my grandfather was for 40 with 6 stores and 3 franchises. In my community and outlying areas I think that I have a HUGE reputation to upkeep (and I am an honest person). Of course I am a consumer too. I try to keep it real with my customers.

Most manufacturers will advertise all rebates and our stores practice is to give all people what they qualify. I'm not sure specifically, but I think it's illegal in Missouri to not give people rebates they qualify for. Flex Cash is pretty weird. Traditionally Honda for as long as I can remember doesn't offer many incentives or rebates. Wheras other's do (which is why their value holds high).

In the state of Missouri, the Doc Fee cannot be more than $200. (Ours in $99, and very rarely do people complain about it.) The court's response is that: Once you charge one person you have to charge everyone. We cannot pick and choose who pays the doc fee and who doesn't. However, we can lower the price $99 to allow the thought of "waiving" it.

The best thing you can do before you go to a dealership or call is to educate yourself. While on my honeymoon I spoke to many people about car shopping (ha ha). I was disgusted by how many people just stroll into a store and basically do no research and just buy a car. It makes no sense.

Hope that helps. - Nathan
    edited July 2013
    Good idea, use a big note pad to write down pricing, dealers doc fee's and all car specfic's that you like from the different dealers you visit. If you could get the otd price out of dealers before you leave by all means. If you target 5 dealers tomm. Let each dealer know 1500 below invoice seals the deal today. Otherwise your visiting 4 more after you leave.

Unless the first few dealers give you your asking price visit all 5 first then decide.. Never rush into a deal you dont like,, or make a deal until you have negotiated with all your intended dealerships. Your target buying price is what gets the deal done that day. Next week is the best time to buy so if you walk out tomm you have several days to Re-negotiate with any dealers you visited .

Taxes and dmv fee's are set by the State so that info is not as important as
    Getting the make and model you want. Not overpaying for unwanted accessories added to some vehicles like splash guards, window tint, pin strip, rear deck lid, pro packs , weather protection packs, nitrogen in tires etc. Some of these features are nice but you buy them at dealers invoice cost if dealer wants your business. I think your ready!! You should be able to work a good deal.

• juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    Hi bluemkn57cars, how is it going?

I was wondering how far you willing to drive to get that deal, it's about 1K less than the prices we have seen, however let me know (PM me) if you willing to drive to NJ, I can talk directly to a GM here.

Regards,
    Julian
  • time2timetime2time Member Posts: 4
    [Honda Accord 2013 EX Sedan I4 6MT]
    Two weeks ago I bought this car. Breakdown list as below.

Sales price: 20,900 (wash out flex cash. includes wheel lock and mud guard.)
    Paint coating (7 year warranty. I doubt it.): 530
    Destination: 780
    Doc fee: 500
    Tax: 4%
    Dealer tax: 40
    License fee: 70
    0.9% financing.
    State: East coast
    Julian,

Thanks for the offer but I am not sure if I want to drive to NJ for only a savings of $1K. What is the final sales price currently being offered on the EX-L?

-Mike
  • user404user404 Member Posts: 17
    Where in NJ? I am shopping for EX manual.
  • juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    Hi Mike,

Can't truly find out since I am not buying and my friend is also buying next month. The only way to find out is when you ready to negotiate for buying, that's from experience.

I think 24.5K on the EXL sale price is doable if you get lucky. Doc fee in NJ is generally 299 - 399, dealership I use is 299. Then you have tags and tax based on location.

User404, I am in Bergen County, North Jersey.

Thanks,
    Julian
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    "[Honda Accord 2013 EX Sedan I4 6MT]
    Two weeks ago I bought this car. Breakdown list as below.

Sales price: 20,900..."

This price is amazing. How did you manage that?

If I could get a price like that on an EX 6 MT, I'd be tempted.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I emailed them about my target price.
    They called back, and I said my goal is to get 1K under invoice.
    The manager on the phone wished me luck and let me walk away.
    But sent me this offer after 20 mins.
    I thought I could cut down 500 more but I couldn't.
  • texashonda1texashonda1 Member Posts: 4
    Wow, special thanks to whoever it was that said to check DFW. This is the quote i got at the Irving dealership!
    No Hassle E- Price $24,283.00

First TX Honda in Austin gave me $26,943 and when I countered (via email) they replied, 'No, We are a one price store....'

Have contacted my local Honda dealer and will wait for a quote from them. Have also asked for OTD price from Irving. I would have to spend $150 to fly there...driving logistics too difficult.

I intend to pay cash, or cash and some on credit card if they will allow. I read that I shouldn't let them know I'm paying cash...any other suggestions as I proceed?
    edited July 2013
    Your posted deal is confusing. The Ex 6m invoice with dest/charge is $23,307.

your sale price of 20,900 is........... 2407 below invoice.

Im assuming that i have to add the 500 doc fee and 530 paint protection onto sale price that would bring your deal to 1407 below dealers invoice. which would still be a great deal.

What does washed out flex cash mean?? was it applied to your sale price of 20,900

i hope you realize that after all vehicles are painted they apply a clear coat finish onto paint job to seal and protect the finish. This dealer is real slick.

please post dealers name and state your purchased

• hondaoracurahondaoracura Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

I have been shopping for a 2013 EX CVT for a few months now but want to get some confirmation on a realistic target price. Best I was quoted last month seemed ok but not great - $800 below invoice + $500 flex ($130 doc fee). My thinking on a good deal is at least $1000 below invoice + $500 flex. Is that still attainable? I'll most likely be buying in PA/NJ (Philly metro).

Thanks-
    Hank
    Brian,
    Sorry. I reworked my list as below. Destination should be $790.
    Numbers are rounded up to integer.
    Error is within $10.
    Paint coating is optional. I asked them to add it.
    Doc fee should be the dealer's margin source.
    I am on East coast.
    I don't want to reveal state and dealer's name to protect both sides.
    My buying strategy is based on your theory. (Thank you!)
    I believe the dealer still had good margin in this deal.

Base price: 22190 (includes wheel lock, mud guard, destination $790.)
    Paint coating (7 year warranty. similiar to Cilajet coating): 530
    Doc fee: 500
    Tax 4%: 23220 x 4% =~ 929
    Dealer tax: 40
    License fee: 70
    Flex cash: -500

OTD: 23759 (0.9 Honda financing.)
    Okay. I have zero knowledge in sales industry.
    My theory below is just a guess.
    Don't blame me if I am wrong.

My theory is this.
    We should always buy a car from a top salesperson.
    Why?
    I am guessing there is a bonus system behind them.
    Say, if a dealership rewards a big bonus to whoever sells 10 cars in a month, and this salesperson already sold 9 cars, won't he give you a good deal so he can get his bonus?

The next question is. How to find a top salesperson? Will he wander around the parking lot and greet people? Will other salespersons tell you who the top one is? Maybe, maybe not. Then how to find this guy?

My theory: email your best offer to the dealership. And the offer will very likely be reviewed by a manager. He will assign a top salesperson for your case.

Just my theory.
    edited July 2013
    Tks............................ Enjoy your new accord.

This is how you find the top salesman in the dealership.

1- His outfit is not up to date and his clothes are messy

2- Very bad breath from cigarettes and coffee

3- Very hyper

4- Tells you any deal is possible

• pgentpgent Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Has anyone bought an 013 exl v6 + navi accord sedan recently ? and what would be a fair price to pay ,I'm in NYC.

Pete.
  • nomer18nomer18 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster - so, sorry if I sound a little redundant like many other first time posters here .... I am in the market for a 2013 LX; yes, I am fully aware that the 2014s are coming out in mid-September-ish. Very possible that I might purchase these next few days (end of month deals!!)

So I have 4 Honda dealers that are within 13.5mi of me ... I haven't even gone for a test drive yet but will do so today or tomorrow, but have been driving nothing but (4) Hondas in the last 13 years, so my only tough decision would be exterior color.

Am I correct to start off by emailing each dealership's Internet/Fleet manager (or even the GM) stating:

- My target goal is $1,800 below invoice of $21,369 (guys, let me know if I should offer $1500 and not $1800)
    - Ask them what are your dealership's doc fees and if they have any incentives including the $500 Flex Cash?
    - Tell them I am looking to Finance (so it'll sway them to give me lower price) - I'm looking to finance around $11.5k for 48mo
    - Tell them I do not want to pay for Destination fees, only DMV + Doc Fees + Tax.
    - Tell them that I am already Approved for a loan from PenFed, unless their F&I want to match Penfed's rate
    - Tell them I do not need/want any extra accessories
    - Tell them I am ready to buy today and they only have 1 chance.

Please advise if I'm goin' about it the wrong way/too aggressive. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Nate
  • m123456m123456 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Nomer18,
    Your total price, including dealer fees(destination, doc, dealer prep, etc) s/b about 21k. Start negotiating at about $20K. Fairly soon they will clear out inventory for 2014 models. Ask for free oil changes for 3yrs and free wheel locks. Don't give any check or credit card until the price is finalized and credit check is done and financing is confirmed. If you give the dealer a check, and if you don't like the deal, and walk, good luck getting the check back. It can be a big hassle. Financing is currently .9% for 36 or 1.9% for 60 months, with good credit score.
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Even if you were correct in your assumption, and even if you knew who the top salesman was, and that he needs to sell 10 to get his bonus, how do you know that you’re not sale number 11? And the sales manager needs to approve the sale and he’s not going to approve your great deal just so the dealership can pay him a larger bonus.
    Think about it, the salesman who keeps on going to his manager with the deal $1,500 below invoice so he can sell a lot of cars is never going to actually sell a lot of cars because he’s going to be fired. The salesman who sells a lot cars and with a big profit is the tops salesman.
    In all probability, every salesman you deal with will get a piece of the commission so if you were met by a salesperson as you entered and asked to be given to another (unless you already had a name), your second salesman will not be motivated to deal with you since he would have to split the commission.
    Good try though.
    I finished my test drive today and didn't not seal a deal. I plan to buy next week. One question I have is that some of the new Accord I saw today are not as new as others, is this normal?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Hey there Nathan! Welcome to edmunds. There's a STORIES FROM THE SALES FRONTLINES thread here on town hall where we'd love to hear some of your war stories.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited July 2013
    Your area will be a factor in pricing as well as Supply and Demand. Is 1800 below invoice a good starting number on a lx model?....YES. If 15 dealerships tell you No your asking price might have to be lowered.

What should your target price be.?? You should go with 1800 below for starters I would. Also remember that if your state has high doc fee's that cuts into your asking price. In actuality your not getting 1800 so dont be scared about that number. You might need to raise asking price to counter doc fee's. i would call ahead to all dealer to find out about flex cash , and doc fee's. You are on the right track to getting a good deal.

Dest/ charge you have to pay. Just add the 790 charge to your vehicles invoice price then minus the $1800 and you have a real good starting asking price. 1800 below is not over the top going into Aug.

1800 to 1200 below is where most deals should fall at this time of the year