Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    I sent him a note. I told him you were a friend of mine, so let's hope he can give you a good deal.

I am sure he will get back to you within 24 hours.

Btw, do you know if that color is on their lot/inventory (I trust them more than Prime).
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • accord2013elxaccord2013elx Member Posts: 47
    It's not far off from my work place. I can make a visit and check.

One sales person (Eric) told me they have my color car available and he will get back to me and took note of my phone number. He even asked if I can make the deposit of 500 if the deal is on and he would give me a call soon.

Then I got a call from another sales person who told me that they have only one 2013 EXL model available, which is not my preferred color. When I stressed to him that Eric had confirmed my color car is available, he said that's the demo car which is 2000 miles on it.

When i declined the demo car, he goes on and said he would sell the 2014 EX-L to me on the invoice price.

I was very much doubted that they would sell the 2014 on the invoice price now. May be he was trying to sell me the 2013 as 2014 model... you never know.
    Thank You.
    Yes, they have my color in their inventory.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    From here on out, color and trim level choices will be limited and, in some cases, not available for the 2013s. Depending on how urgently you want or need a new accord, you will need to consider setting your sights on the 2014. For a few months, you may not be able to achieve the deeply discounted deals of the past few months but as Brian has previously noted, by December, below invoice prices will have returned. By April, we should be nearly back to the 1500+ off invoice range. We might even see better discounts because of being in the second year of this redesign. Just keep yourselves informed using this forum and other informative pricing sites.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • cars12345cars12345 Member Posts: 44
    Have you considered the demo with 2000 miles on it since it's in your color? Might be worth it considering the savings. You would have to get advice from the pros on the board to know what that goes for.

I did close the deal on my EXL with Prime today and traded in my previous baby. I love the new car but am having separation anxiety! I miss her already, but I'm sure that will pass in a few days. I know I'm crazy.

I know Blue had a much better experience at Honda Cars of Boston so that is a better place to start. If you want me to drop Eric an email, I'm happy to do it but i can't guarentee what they will do, especially given how they treated Blue.

If I understand you are asking 24900 with no flex cash since you are financing through DCU. Is that correct? You might be able to get that from Boch if you push and say you are looking at other dealers. Boch initial prices are awful but seem willing to negotiate - I assume they still have a good inventory.

Let me know if you want me to reach out to Prime.

What is youe timing?
    Eric and Prime Honda play too many games.
    Also, for Prime, using Blue which was a failed deal, and mine which was muddled with a trade will not buy you much as you think. It helped me because Blue's deal was still alive and kicking and it was the end of the month and they were meeting quotas. They keep telling me what a great deal I got and not to tell anyone because there is no way they can do it again. I'm sure there is plenty of showmanship there (since honda cars of boston did the same deal they did for me for blue)...but be forewarned...if they truly have only a few they will be less likely to deal at the beginning of Sept.

Plus I'm not sure I'm their favorite customer.

But like I said, i'm very happy to drop Eric an email on your behalf. Pay if forward for all the help I got from this board!
    Congrats on your purchase.

Did Prime honor their original price? Did you get any flex cash with the deal?
    Yes, I got the flex cash and it was for the price we discussed at our initial meeting. No funny business, no oh we have to add $100 for this or that. And the car only had 42 miles on it (I was worried it would have lots of miles if they had to find it and drive it from somewhere).

Today was long but it went well. Eric did a great job today as I asked him to go over all the controls in the car again with me and I took it for a short test drive. And the financing takes awhile. So I tried a few people's patience today and they did a great job.

The worse thing was when the manager said the car would be in on Tuesday (I bought it on Friday) and when I called on Tuesday all excited for my car I was then told it could take 4-10 days. I was pissed to say the least. Why didnt they just tell me that when i bought it on Friday 8/30? To have expectations set and then dashed was awful. But I said I just hope i have it for the weekend and he did make that happen.

I'm glad it worked out with Prime because I got some free oil changes and they are closer than going to Everett.

I don't blame you for being pissed at Prime. I hate Bernardi for how they treated me when I went in there a week earlier. I decided if you go into Prime you have to be strong and firm or they will eat you alive. They are high pressure and fast talkers for sure...but most car dealerships are.
    Great job. Enjoy your car. I love mine. I am still trying to figure out all the features.
    Thanks - enjoy yours too!
    Congratulation cars12345 on your purchase.

Boch doesn't have my color in that trim level.

I thought about the demo car, but not willing to go for it.
    Yes, you can drop an email to Eric. My price is 24900 with no flex cash. The color I am looking for is Crystal Black and Black.

I am also looking forward to hear from Honda cars of Boston. Whoever says okay and have the car with them would get my business.

My timing is 9AM to 6PM.
    Appreciate your help on this. Thank you.
    It seems to be, though their online inventory shows 5 elx they said only one car available with different color to me. may be trying to put low inventory pressure on me.

Lets see what do they reply for cars12345 email.
    Their online inventory shows 3 black and black elx models. 2 with V4 and 1 with V6. Even if one of the V4 is demo car, the other should be available to sell. But they tried to sell me the Champagne Frost which is also available in the online inventory.
    Hi Sivakumar.

I sent Eric at Prime an email. I told him you were a "friend of a friend". I said you are only interested in the 2013, black/black no demo and the car has to be on the lot as you are calling all the dealerships in eastern MA. I asked him to give you a call to let you know if they have it either way. Let us know if he calls.

I'm the woman that just bought the modern steel/gray interior EXL.

You have to stay sharp, but if you are unhappy for any reason, just move on. Have you tried Herb Chambers? Their internet inventory shows a lot of Black/Black EXL's.

Good luck.
    Thanks cars12345.

I am not able to get the better price so far from Herb Chambers.

I'll keep you updated.
    Thanks again.
    What price did you get from Herb Chambers?

You might have to chance it and wait for the end of the month to get the price you are looking for.

Good luck.
  • cartime4844cartime4844 Member Posts: 11
    I had no luck getting any reasonable price for the black ex-l 4 cylinder in August. I'm looking to lease but talked to the dealers based on sale price only. I talked to about 20 dealers in the NYC area and tried to use Brian's methods, but I only got dealers offering $500 below invoice who had no flex cash, or $500 below invoice including flex cash (so, invoice price). I wasn't available at the end of the month so I had to make my calls a week early but I still expected better results. I think that despite what I was saying on the phone I must have been giving off a novice vibe. Since Labor Day I've gotten a few calls but they've been garbage. For example, Bay Ridge Honda called today and said they are all out of 2013s and tried to push me to consider a 2014. I said not interested, and after I hung up I checked their website which lists over 10 2013 ex-l in stock.

Brian, since I'm in NYC would you be able to work your magic for me? I've seen that you've helped a couple other people in the area get fantastic deals. If you have some time available could you do me this huge favor and make a few calls to find a fair price?

Thanks,

Elon
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2013
    I will help you at the end of the month in this area.. On Sept 25th you need to find out what dealerships in our area have your model EXL with color choice, or secondary choice you want.

KEY Factor;; Depending on the Supply and Demand factor might not matter to even a skilled negotiator. With 4 exl models or less right now on any dealers lot will give him the upper hand in negotiations and leverage on pricing. Bear that in mind. Every week hundreds of buyers are walking into these dealerships clueless as [non-permissible content removed] and buying up the last of the 2013 models.

This Accord is the Best rated midsize car. Demand is higher than its output.

A clueless buyer thinks at invoice price or a few hundred below invoice price is a great deal for this vehicle.

What i would do right now is send out emails to some of the Boston dealers Int MGR, telling each one you will make the trip up to them for xxx price and model. You will buy immediately. Use dealers that blue and few other have purchased at.... You may get lucky before the end of this month.. Otherwise prepare yourself for what could be a bad pricing market here in New york. I went thru 5 N.J. dealerships inventory with certain models and they are pretty much done. What they had left was limited.

Your detective work here will help you on a deal this month

Contact these dealerships later in the month and find out

1_ If they have your model in stock

2- How many EXL-4 are on there lot

DCH Paramus , Joyce , Hamilton, Auto-Sport, Friendly, New Rochelle, Yonkers, Atlantic honda.

Keep on negotiating with prior dealerships from last month. Every time they send you a new email let them know you will buy asap for xxx price. Yes or no. Challenge them to either step up to the big boys table or go away..

Re-read my prior post 30,550 on out of state buying it also apply's to in house calls to dealerships. If you talk directly to the sales mgr you will make a good deal.Do not mess with salesman or sales reps your wasting your time. Read over some of these posts.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• misterscmistersc Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2013
    Hello everyone, there is a lot of good information here. I see much talk of 2013 but I have no interest in 2013 with the 2014's slowly getting into show rooms. Can someone advice what is a good price for a 2014 accord lx from invoice in New York Area? Also, i'm trading in a 2007 bmw, any advice on how to manage the trade in with the purchase of the accord? I'm getting good offers from private buyers for bmw but willing to sell for less to dealers to save on purchase tax of new car and avoid hassels of private buyers.

Thank you
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    OK, Brian,

I have bitten my tongue here for some time because I know you're a nice guy that is sincerely trying to help. Why you care so much and take this so seriously is beyond me but...hey..to each his/her own.

You continue to urge people to wait until month end to buy cars. I can honestly say after over 13 years in the Honda business that that makes NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever when buying a car! Now, the stores may say it does in an attempt to encourage a sense of urgency but it really doesn't make any difference.

We are coming up on mid-September and Accords are selling well. People wil wait that HAVE to have a certain model or color combination and they will miss out. now, IF a store HAPPENS to have the exact car someone wants, they will try to maximize their profit on it. It takes five minutes to print out a form listing all of the inventory in the area. If they know they have the ONLY black EXL Accord in the state, why would they cheap sell it?

You also suggest that prospective buyers bypass the sales people and deal directly with a Sales Manager or the Internet Manager.

Have you ever worked in a busy car dealership?

The Sales Managers do NOT have time to deal with individual customers. They will turn you over to a (gasp) SALESPERSON. The so called " Internet Manager" is generally another salesperson, perhaps a more experience one than the liners most stores turn over on a monthly basis.

Most stores have several " Internet Managers" because they know people seem to think they can somehow get a better deal by not dealing with a common salesperson.

Lastly to the shoppers out there...inventories are shrinking on a daily basis. I watched every years as "smart shoppers" tried to find the car of their dreams in late September only to find out they were all gone.

Brian, I do applaud your efforts and I do know that you mean well.
    cartime, there is a big difference between a "reasonable" price and the prices some people offer. Dealers will accept reasonable offers.

But when someone makes an offer that makes no sense, those are the offers that get declined.

If you have talked to 20 dealers, you should be getting the message that they don't want your business for what you are trying to pay!

There is no "magic" involved here. You have been led astray and now have unreasonable expectations.

And....while you are doing this, inventories are depleting and prices are prices are climbing. Time is NOT on your side!
    This is why I posted a day or two ago that depending on the urgency of the need or want for a new accord, maybe the focus should be toward a 2014. It's like some folks are under some sort of spell and can't break free - amazing!
    edited September 2013
    It is kinda like a spell.

They have a Pied Piper.

They are hearing what they want to hear and what they are hearing doesn't involve reality in most cases.

I watched this happen every year and it was amusing at times.
    edited September 2013
    isellhondas

Been buying new vehicles for 40 yrs.. I have no clue what your talking about.

My way of buying cuts thru all that dealership nonsense with the least amount of time finding the best possible deal. Why should there be any loyalty to one dealership. By dealing with the int/ mgrs means they are authorized to meet my price.. Not a salesman. or Rep. waste of time in my book. Been proven in here over and over read these boards.

Your amazed or mad at me cause i tell people how to get around a sales rep or salesman/ or who is the best person to deal with in making there trans action.

I tell folks when the best time to buy

How to buy

What supply and demand does to them

What prices they should shoot for { meaning there area market price. ] Knowledge of pricing

How to buy out of state

What charges they should fight

i advise everyone dont fall into the trap of thinking the best prices your reading in other states you will get. I'm very consistent and like a broken record on that.

The advice i give in these forums saves people alot of money..
    Personally most of the people in here cant negotiate which leads to pricing frustration.

Half the people in this forum are trying to buy a Accord in the beg/ middle of the month... Are you reading all the nonsense they go thru.? Why go thru that.. LOL .. what a joke. Are you reading these boards .. Salesman chasing people in the parking lots after they walked out tired of all the game playing that went on four hours. Being lied to about pricing and vehicle availability. Come on the hits can go on all night. Dealers unwillingness to not give you a strait answer. Dealers adding flex cash and all incentives to think your getting a good price,

So i ask you . You seem like a nice guy trying to help.

Why do you insist on telling these people lie's. People in these forum are looking to save as much as they could. Your way offers them no hope at all.

Except having to deal with more bs and nonsense from your side of the desk. Maybe not so much when you worked. I will help you avoid that.

You seem to only pick your posts where posters are terrible at the buying game.

I'm sure there is a handful of guys who i helped in this forum who will tell you different.

I struck a deal last week for mike 372 In between a shower and dinner plans you should go back and read it. Mike should of easily made that same deal if not better. What i teach works... need to apply it.

• fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    Car sales men have a bad reputation for a reason. They are some lying, low down, say anything, do almost anything kind of guys. I despise them and cant stand their nonsense. Isellhondas was a salesman. He may be retired but his posts are almost always to tell US to stop playing games and bow down to the sales men. Silly rabbit.
    OK, brian,

Since you called me a liar I am now done with you.

Some of the "expert" advice that you dispense from your self appointed throne is usable and some of your other advice is going to lead to a bunch of frustrated would be buyers.

I'm sure you will carry on....
    edited September 2013
    isell,,,,,,,,,,,, you are a Respectable guy. We just disagree on differnt sides of the desk. .........My record speaks for its self in the buying game. You call me out often. If you cant dish it out.......... dont give it. I lie to nobody in hear. I give them the best Tools/ advise and chance for the lowest price in there area.

Absolutely! A lot of stores are deserving of the reputation that they have and they hire salespeople that they turn over monthly.

I despise them too. More than you do.

I don't think I have ever suggested that anyone bow down to anyone.

Game playing works both ways...big time!
    You called me a liar...remember! We are done!

I just hope your readers temper your advice. What you suggest may work sometimes but the market changes quickly and your advice is timeworn.

My record speaks for itself too. More than you'll ever know.
    Hi Suvakumar,

I got an email from Eric - he was not working on Saturday. Hopefully he is working on Sunday and will contact you. If you don't hear from him soon, you should contact him by email or phone on Sunday in case he misplaced your contact info. At least he will know you are the person I asked him about. if you don't have his contact info, call the dealership and say you misplaced it. I was clear that you are just interested in a 2013 new black/black EXL if they have it on the lot and I'd appreciate it if he could just let you know either way if they had it since you received some conflicting news. You can refer to me as "D" if he asks. When he refers to me by my first name, just agree. Again, I told hiim you are a 'friend of a friend' so you don't really know me personally. Good luck.
    Herb chambers @ 25,550.
    Thanks "D"! Appreciate your help.
    Did you hear back from Ben at Honda Cars?
    edited September 2013
    I am going to offer you some tough advice right now.

To anyone still looking to buy a 2013 Accord in a specific trim and color within the next few weeks or so, be prepared for long negotiations with dealers if you want them to come close to your desired price. The 9th generation Accord has been selling quite well, and depending on the market (supply and demand), inventory is dwindling fast.

Before my purchase, I did a lot of research by reading about invoice pricing, below invoice pricing, negotiation techniques, making a reasonable offer, how to close the deal and I learned from my mistakes after visiting a few dealerships during my car search.

After a couple of months, I found a few dealerships that came close to my sales price and were prepared to work with me. I was able to narrow down those who also had flex cash, since that was a deal breaker for me.

I would not recommend that anyone wait till the end of this month to buy a 2013 model, since inventory on some trims is dwindling very fast. Start reaching out to dealerships asap. If you can wait for prices to drop on the 2014 model year, then that might be best. On the other hand, if you really have to buy a 2013 model, then you might have to compromise on your sales price.

Telling a dealership who has low inventory of a specific model trim, that you will buy today for say $1500 below invoice, may not work this month as well as it did in previous months.

Just my $0.02.
  • cartime4844cartime4844 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Brian, I appreciate your offer to help. To others who talk about making reasonable offers, all I've been asking for from the last 2 dealers I spoke to is $1200 below invoice. Considering that the dealers initial offers are $500 below I don't think I'm asking too much of these guys but no one wants to budge.

Brian, if I need to wait until the end of the month to get that kind of pricing, I will follow your advice. However I am a little worried about the inventory of the black ex-L, so if you think $1200 below is a breeze for you to get this time of month, would you be willing to get the ball rolling early?
  • brainage2brainage2 Member Posts: 24
    Hi

I am looking for a 2014 Accord EXL . What might be my target price. I saw true car quoted around 26,300 in my area. Anyone who bought a similar trim share their price.

regards
    Brainage2
    edited September 2013
    ELON,
    Find your model and color choice and work only with those dealerships on pricing. At the end of the week or month is what pricing is going to be with certain dealerships.

I could only do exactly what you will be doing. Use some of my negotiating tips to get better pricing. If your emailing dealerships target the internet managers.. Email them directly or call them. If your visiting dealerships do not play stupid negotiate with the knowledge you learned in here. If a dealership has high doc fee's let them know when your negotiating,, if he is using flex cash to get you to 500 below invoice let him know about it. If they want a charge to find you your model tell him No. Find dealerships with more exl models on there lot. Visit /call your targeted dealerships and post back here with pricing and we will help you.

I proved my point last month with mike 372 taking one dealers limited stock of lx models and securing a deal for 1369 below invoice. That does not mean you may get that this month. Your window of opportunity could of been

last month but you were away at the end of the month. This months limited stock could be worse.

I cant openly negotiate in this forum for you guys it violates the price paid forum policy. The same would apply to salesman soliciting business in here for dealerships. Thats why Isellhondas always states he is retired and has no dog in this fight. What i tell you guys in here is exactly how i get that good price. If you were to do just a half [non-permissible content removed] attempt at what i'm telling you guys Your pricing will still be better than most buyers.

Unfortunately supply and demand has really effect our market pricing with very limited stock in certain area's. If you fall into that category it would be your decision to buy at that price or go for the 2014 model.

To answer your most important question. Do i think 1200 was a unreasonable offer for a 9 month old model accord where most likely 500 flex cash will be used to get to that number along with dealers doc fee's .... NO. So you try pricing this month making your best deal regardless if your paying 500 below or 1500 below. You played the game and recieved the best pricing from many dealerships.

Good luck. Heed the advice of those on the board, you may not get 24900 without flex cash, which would be a great deal. I think you may have decisions to make, are you willing to pay a few hundred more or compromise on the color. The modern steel is a dark color and the silver is also very nice. But I know 'to each their own' on color preference. And once I picked the color I wanted I could not be talked out of it. I'm starting to sound like a car dealer.

PS - If you do go with Prime, do not agree to the extended warranty prices. If you balk the prices are lowered for sure, but they still are not lower than you can get over the internet...if you have any interest in them at all.

Also ask for free oil changes. I ended up with 3 from the deal and then one when i went in from the finance manager. They want good ratings for the Honda survey.

I really hope Honda Cars comes through for you. It just seems like a no games kinda place based on blue's experience. I know Boch seemed ready to deal with me again last week, so if you are willing to compromise on your color and Prime/Honda Cars doesn't come thru for you - you can try them. But I would only reach out to them as a last resort. They are totally hard core.
    Actually I AM retired and anyone who has been around these forums for a long time knows that. I left three years ago.

I have been a member of these forums since they began around 1996 I believe and I have NEVER, EVER solicited business.

There were some that did but I played by the rules...always!
    edited September 2013
    Craig

I never implied that about you. You always state that . I like you enjoy being in these forums . And for either you or i getting tossed out of here because how we feel about the Car business is foolish.

I'm not in these forums looking to buy folks cars That is there job.......... and the flip side is your not trying to sell honda's.

Wanted to make that perfectly clear to this forum.

New members are not aware of some of the rules in here.

Appreciate the info but wasn't seeking advice - like Brian, I've been around this forum awhile and have been buying/leasing vehicles many years - I weigh in once in awhile when I think I might have some info that may be of some value to someone seeking a good deal. I'm partial to Honda products because our family has owned or leased so many of them over the past twenty years.

Bill G
    I was just providing general info to anyone reading these forums, about buying a 2013 model this month and what to expect as far as pricing goes.

I was not directly responding to your post :)
    But if you look, you did directly respond to me. If you have a general comment to make, it's best to just initiate your own post and not use the reply button - that way there's no confusion.

Your info is very good though - I made some of the very same points a few days ago - should be useful to the folks still shopping - we are in that touchy period transitioning from one model year to the next. It just depends on how urgently the shopper needs the vehicle right now. They need to weigh the pros and cons.

Don't worry blue - I observed how you went through your process - you were methodical and did great and got a great deal.

Bill
  • ceboxcebox Member Posts: 1
    What is the 2013 Accord EXL 4 cy going for in Atlanta?
    Nope, I neither get a call from Ben nor from Eric . Though I am out on a week end trip, was kept an eye on the phone calls.
    I am going to call both Honda cars and Prime (if they have the color i want) tomorrow and see what is the best offer they can give and finalize one of them.
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
    Good luck. Hope you can close a deal within the next few days.

Honda Cars of Boston tends to have pretty good pricing right off the bat, so they may not be inclined to negotiate much.
  • moesobomoesobo Member Posts: 24
    Sorry for my delayed response...I have 3 kids and a 15 month old who is sick.

Here is my price. He said he cannot go any lower:

Hi Maureen,

The vin number to this Accord EXL is.......... and has a MSRP of $28,785.00. Your out the door price is $27,951.52 including all fees and accessories.

You guys think that is a great deal or no? It is not the color we want (white/tan or silver/black interior). We wanted the black/black or black/tan. I may try to push him for a 2014 with my color choice and pay the $275 more. I know the other dealer will give me the 2014.