Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• misterscmistersc Member Posts: 23
    Bluemkn57cars,
    Will do as you suggest and reach a few more dealers. Thank you for the great advice. Month end is approaching fast and will be ready to lock up.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2013
    Mistersc
    You are in a good position to Negotiate with many dealerships and wait til you get YOUR target price. Bluecars.... has posted first hand knowledge and real time buying experience with his purchase last month. He played the game to the T and he secured a very good deal. Read thru this board and make notes and write down all dealerships that people recommend with good pricing / no games or drama with dealerships. These are the dealerships you may want to target if they are in your driving range..

Your advantage is you do not need to buy this month. Here is my suggestion.
    read my prior posts, 30550,30558,30575, 30642, 30660, 30682,30723, which ever one talks about contacting dealerships on line thru internet managers read and apply it... Start your negotiation process on the 2nd to last day this month ending all negotiation with meeting your price to buy the last day of sept..
    NY/ NJ is not selling like other area's.
    If you email/ call as many dealerships as your willing to travel you just may get 500 below invoice price this month. Sept ends the 3rd quarter for all car companies dealerships looking for sales numbers will deal alot cheaper than earlier in the month.
    If pricing is not where you want to go........... wait til next month.

There is no need to step foot into any dealership unless you agree on a selling price and verify all otd charges. Sit in the comfort of your house and see what dealers are willing to meet your price. The reason buying this way works is You are putting each dealership on the spot that moment telling them i buy right now for this price. No game playing , No BS, Its Yes or No, or A Small COUNTER OFFER from that dealership. You have the buying leverage on these days.

You have nothing to lose this month and alot to gain if you find those dealerships selling at months End..............Good luck

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• gil123gil123 Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    Thanks again for the input.

I've gotten several competitive quotes, hovering about $1700 below invoice for the 2013. I could probably haggle another $100-$200. It's in the range of what I'm willing to pay.

Inventory feels low around here. I have a lot of dealerships, but it feels like most have only a handful of cars. It's hard to say since I don't know their stock, but most places mention having only 2-3 colors available (I'm agnostic on color).

It's turning out that my end-of-month will be very busy with work. Based on all of this, do you think it's worth waiting until the end or just buying right now? If waiting saves me only $200, then it won't be worth it due to a lot of reasons. But if the wait could yield about $400, then I could wait. What do you think? I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger even though the spreadsheet geek in me wants to wait.
    edited September 2013
    AT 1700 below invoice dont risk losing your model/ color. End of the month may not get you anymore off that already good price due to his limited stock.

Post after you buy your deal with city/ dealerships name.

Good job Gil

Thanks for the reply. I've still got a little more work to do, but will definitely post after I get the car.
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    Gil,

Are you getting any flex cash? Are you getting your first choice of trim and color?

I am sure you have done your homework, and I hope you have taken into account dealer doc fees when negotiating the best deal.

Good luck.
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
    edited September 2013
    Brian125,
    I'm going to take a break and start 2nd to last day of Sept. per your suggestion. Thus far, i've contacted 6 or 7 dealers without a single one even coming at invoice price and no one going below. There just isn't any inventory. I'm wasting a lot of time and one dealer was even sarcastic saying you want below invoice on 2014 and i said with a straight face, yes. He was annoying claiming he didn't know what Flex cash was and I called him out on it. He then went on to say no flex cash on 2014 models. I will research the other posts and contact the more preferred dealers but wait until end of month as it doesn't appear any ny dealer looking to negotiate on my terms at the moment. i also have my bmw to trade in which i'm sure they will look to low ball to make some money on the other side of the transaction.
    edited September 2013
    Invoice price on a 2014 might be the best we could do right now in our area for Sept. You may find alot of dealers want 500 above plus. You dont know to you make the calls. This is how you determine your area's market price.. Time is on your side. keep us post in NY/ NJ area.

• rogoniterogonite Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    20625 + TTL at Norm Reeves Cerritos. Undercut Huntington Beach by $75. Honda World wanted 21,000 but went down to 20,800 after long negotiation.

Honda World... They were scummy. Avoid. I bought a 2013 10 months before and they were fine, but man...

Cerritos was a very straight-forward process. No haggling, lowest price in the area. I'm going to them from now on.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    mistersc - don't get discouraged - when a salesperson gets sarcastic with you,or plays dumb, it is usually because he/she is trying to gain control and portray themselves as more knowledgeable than you. You know better than this because you are arming yourself with information that will eventually allow you to gain the upper hand. Just keep plugging away, develop your buying technique based on the advice you receive here, and you will soon be able to recognize the good dealers and sales folks who want to compete for your business and ignore the not so good.

Take care,

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • echachi81echachi81 Member Posts: 9
    I received an offer for 300 per month, 2075 upfront plus DMV fee. 2013 4dr accord EX-L with no Nav. Capitol cost of 25,500.
  • rtrehanrtrehan Member Posts: 1
    I got quote for honda accord exl 2014 for $30000 OTR means everything included in this price.
    edited September 2013
    Can you break down your deal, by listing the following:

Sales price including destination fee (without any incentives):
    Dealer doc fees:
    Title and registration fees:
    Dealer add-ons:
    Sales Tax (rate is fine)
    Any incentives
    Flex cash is only available on 2013 models. You still have ten more days to go before the end of the month, so do not get discouraged at all. Do not waste your time with dealerships who play games. Their plan is to frustrate you.

If you can negotiate anywhere between $500 to $800 below invoice the last two days of this month, then that will be a good deal. If not and you can wait, I would recommend trying again at the end of next month.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
    With 2075 and DMV fees up front, your payment is actually around $370 per month. You need to provide an itemized breakdown of your deal before any of us can give you an opinion.

Thanks, Bill G
  • jonesing4carjonesing4car Member Posts: 5
    Here are some details I just received on 2013 Accord EX-L, no nav, 4 cyl CVT:
    MSRP: $28,785
    12k, 36 months
    Residual 53%, adjusted to 55%
    Gross residual $15,831.75
    Money factor: 0.00075
    Monthly Depreciation: $346.89
    Monthly lease charge: $33.11
    original taxable base: $12,267.72
    7% NJ tax
    $858.74 tax amount

selling price $26,349.42
    DMV $516.50
    Acq fee: $595
    Doc fee: $289
    Cap cost $28,319.66

Only out of pocket is $380, which is the first payment.
    then $380 monthly thereafter.

I turned it down. he quoted me a lower before, but lo and behold, it's now higher on paper. that's the best I can do. yada yada yada.

appreciate your thoughts.
    edited September 2013
    Good thing you turned down this deal, because the sale price you were quoted is only $49.58 below invoice.

That's one of the worse deals I have seen on a 2013 model at this time of the year, even on a lease.
    MSRP.....................................28,785
    Selling price..........................- 26,349
    Total........................................2436 .........below invoice
    doc fee's...................................- 289

total .......................................2147 below invoice price????

Your sales price deal looks good to me.. Did i miss something here?

You might be able to get a better lease deal on a 2014 because the residual will most likely be higher which should lower your payment. But, as blue points out, that selling price needs a lot of work. I recommend switching to a 2014 and finding a dealer willing to compete for your business with a competitive price.

Good luck,

Bill G
    Brian - invoice is around $26.4?

Bill
  • huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    Bill,
    Give Brian a pass. My tee shot hit Brian in the forehead while he was at the hot dog stand.
    Ha - and here I thought he was posting from the 19th hole.
    See this is what happens when your in the sun to long.

I agree with Bill. You might be able to get a better deal on a 2014 model.

Your main goal would be to focus on the sale price of the car, since the numbers used to calculate the lease (Money Factor, Residual Value and acquisition fee) are not going to change from dealer to dealer.
    just some follow-up questions:
    Aside from the selling price of the car, the only other things I can negotiate on are fees, correct? Appreciate any advice on tactics to achieve that.

Lastly, at the end of the day, despite all the lease calculations we are all doing, etc, aren't we really trying to lessen the amount we spend on a car over the life of the lease?
    So in this case, the deal I turned down, I would have spent a total of $13,680 ($380x36) in payments on this car. Can we look at a lease in this way? just curious.

thanks. I'll start looking at 2014s.
    Usually, the only fee that is negotiable is the dealer doc fee. Some dealers won't budge on their doc fee - if that's the case, do your best to get them to reduce the selling price to lessen the impact of the doc fee. If you can negotiate the lowest selling price possible, and receive the best lease money factor appropriate to your credit score, then the total cost of your lease will take care of itself.

Bill
    We got you Brian - huskerfan says that's the second mistake you've made this year. I think maybe you were just testing us.

Bill
    Actually, that is not a good way to look at a lease. Your monthly payment is a combination of depreciation on the vehicle and interest expense. You would lessen the total payments over the lease as you increase the amount you pay at signing since that will result in less interest but you don't want to do that. Anything you pay at signing is lost should the car be stolen or totalled in an accident so I always recommend getting 36 equal monthly payments with the amount due at signing representing the first payment. Yes, it will be a few more dollars over the life of the lease than if you made a down payment or paid fees and taxes at inception but it should be considered really cheap insurance.
    btw, I live I NJ and that DMV charge looks too high, even with new plates. I believe it's against the law to markup DMV fees in NJ but I would question the dealer.
    I don't recall Brian making another mistake but I have to admit to some. I know of two that I made in the leasing forum but the biggest one I ever made in this forum I made earlier this week.
    After writing my piece on doc fees, I gave my protaganist an out (I won't name names) by saying I bet he's a smart guy but did not articulate well what he is actually doing, but after reading his reply, I definitely got that part regarding him being a smart guy wrong :)
    bluemkn57cards, Thank you for your guidance. I will keep you and everyone else posted.
    Jonesing4car,

Are you looking to buy/ lease in NJ.??? Would you consider a 2014 model at invoice price.

Tks..... Bill always good to throw out a test.. And yes my second error was trying to debate huskerfan on leasing.

Ah yes - that stuff - I'm puzzled as to why our freedom of speech was so smacked down - your post was particularly clear cut and logical...or so I thought. But as far as the somewhat snarky response you got...well, with some folks, you can feed them all the logic and common sense you want and for some reason, instead of heading for their brain to consider the merit, it goes straight down and out the other end...with no further consideration. I know your post makes total sense to those folks looking to improve their negotiating techniques and skills, so in that sense it wasn't a mistake at all.

Bill
    edited September 2013
    Bill
    This same matter is what drives me crazy in all the years trying to help educate some folks on how to Save a couple of dollars with advice and techniques on buying. If i tell someone to call these dealerships on this day it means you just might get your price or come close. Knowledge and leverage is my success.

I have been reading your posts and... Huskerfans.... posts on leasing and in this forum for some time... keep up the good work both of you. great advice and sometimes a different perspective of how i go about business which does help other buyers. Folks in here that take the advice will do alot better in pricing and buying experience.

Bluecars57... if there is one guy who can fill my shoes in this forum it might be you. If i step down here i would have to email you the best of my play book in the car buying world. You made one post recently that pretty much touched on all parts of buying/ negotiations .. Use that as your reference to folks..... Very detailed and pretty much every thing i preach. i hope you stick around in these forums.

I would be open to a 2014 lease.
  • carguy778carguy778 Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2013
    Here is a quote I received today.

MSRP $ 30784
    SALE PRICE $ 26833 (No invoice given)
    DESTINATION $ 790
    PROCESSING $ 199
    TAX 6%
    TAGS TITLE $ 300

Is this a good selling price for a 2013 ?
    thanks
  • drumzdrumz Member Posts: 11
    Hello fellow forum members,

I would very much appreciate if someone would post what the current money factor and residual is on a 2014 Accord Sedan EX lease for 36 months with 12k mi/yr ?

Also, would like to know if there are any incentives available on the 2014 Accord EX yet.

Thanks for your help,

Drumz
    edited September 2013
    I'm going to make a half [non-permissible content removed] attempt on pricing for a friend on a 2014 Accord here in New york/ NJ. I'm not even sure if he is ready and willing to buy which makes it harder on my credibilty.. I have said that getting Invoice here in NYC and NJ would be a great price for the end of Sept. i know most dealers want 500 plus and some are being greedy and want 1k above.

I will keep you posted if your interested in buying this month at Invoice or maybe alittle below the red line. End of 3rd quarter this month may help otherwise. I dont see NYC area selling alot cheaper unless they start to feel the sales pressure from other dealers from CT/ M.A. Delaware, Philly. As long as other states are priced like our area we have no shot at pricing like in other area's.

Post this same messsage in the accord leasing forum. You are posting in the wrong forum. You will get help over there.

edited September 2013
    carguy
    Invoice on your model is 27,433 without dest charge

If dealer is selling vehicle without dest/charge thats 600 below invoice price.
    with dest charge included would be $1390 and not a bad deal. BUT

Ask your self this question.. If your 3 month old Accord is stolen or deemed totaled due to a accident on Jan,1 2014 your ins company will consider that a 1yr old vehicle not a 3 month vehicle. What do you think the depreciation value is on a 1 year old model accord 1500 or more.. Check with your your Ins. company maybe they know the value. If my scenario does not happen thru next year then 1300 to 1500 was a good deal.

Just giving you something else to think about besides price.

• drumzdrumz Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • rivhilrivhil Member Posts: 12
    Did anyone get quotes or purchased the 2014 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L with Nav 4 cyl in Florida? If s, please share base & fees, as well as the dealership. Thanks so much.
    Brian,

I appreciate the kind words, but I do not think anyone will be able to fill your shoes whenever you decide to step down. Your advice is spot on and given your years of experience along with your knowledge of the car buying game, it will take me years to even come close to that. I am humbled.

I have been reading a lot of posts these past few months/weeks, and you have given the same advice over and over again about how to go about negotiating the best deal on a car. I am a perfect example that your tips do work as long as it is followed to the t. Some car salesmen are sleazeballs. Some still try to convince us (consumers) that the deal they are offering us on a car is only good TODAY. In this day and age, no one should be falling for those cheap tricks.

I am not going to lie, but car searching takes time and dedication. I have heard some crazy things coming out of the mouth of salesmen such as "the car was sold last night" and "I cannot guarantee that flex cash will be available if I cannot get the car for you in 24 hours".

This forum helps us become more informed buyers and also levels the playing field. Some car dealers know that, but they still think they can use some of these old tricks. It might work on some people, but those of us reading all these posts in this forum should not fall for any of this BS. That is why when I offer advice, I tell everyone to either hang up on a salesman who is not being forthcoming on the phone, or walk out of a dealership when you sense your time is being wasted. I have done both of these things when I was car shopping. I believe you have also offered similar advice on numerous occasions.

I have noticed a few newbies on this forum who do not always provide the required information when asking for advice. Some do not always read previous posts about how to go about contacting car dealers at the end of the month and offering to buy today. Others do not follow all the advice being provided, but decide to use their own negotiating tactics.

At the end of the day, it is all about getting the best deal on a new car in your area and not being frustrated in the process. We (consumers) also have to be realistic and be aware of the market in our area (You have also said that quite a few times).

Keep the great advice coming, Brian. I wished you could come up with a blog listing your Top 10 or Top 20 Car Buying Tips.

-Mike
    Ok here is the best quote i've received. Asking me to come in tomorrow. What do you folks think?
    -------------------------
    Black/Black
    Accord EX-L. Provided a Vin number as well.

MSRP 29, 065
    INVOICE 26, 560 (doesnt match my invoice number but close enough)
    SALE PRICE 26, 600 - 500 (FLEX) = 26,100 sale price just around invoice but dropping 500 for flex which I didn't think existed on 2014 so not sure what/how.

+ 75 (Documentation Fee) + 275 DMV + 2347.44 (8.875% Tax) = 28,797.44 OTD

the $275 DMV seems high but salesperson said that is an estimate and can go lower. Overall, numbers look good to me. Do I buy or wait until last 2 days of september? I'm a little troubled that invoice doesn't match what we believe to be invoice and offering a flex number that doesn't exist in 2014 models. Salesperson insists no games and i will get OTD price. Any feedback appreciated.
    edited September 2013
    FYI: That's very close to my OTD price for a 2014 EX-L in Los Angeles. Here are my numbers:

MSRP: $29060

Invoice $25860
    Destination $790

Price offered: $26,100
    Add on: $499 (pro-pack)*
    Flex cash: -$500
    Doc fees: $80

OTD with 9% taxes & title: $28,887

* Includes mud guards, wheel locks, and trunk tray. Note that my package is the better value because of the add-on and 0.25% higher tax. I would hope that you can negotiate your price lower.
    edited September 2013
    here is your breakdown on price on 2014 exl

Invoice...............25,860 + 790 dest/charge= 26,650

Do not rush this deal Dealers are always putting pressure on us / to hurry up come down right away.. Blah ,blah ,blah. Your in control you set the tone..

Call back this dealership and ask him again... does vehicle sale price of 26,600 include the destination charge??? If not tell him your looking to buy at invoice price and then if he wants you will finance the car thru honda to get a additional 500 off this deal.

No matter what he tells you today tell dealership you want to think over his offer ................... Also

Ask dealer how much you need to finance to receive flex money.
    Does dealer have your car on his lot.

Your dmv fee's will be adjusted to just under 200.

If your Satisfied with this deal there is no reason to wait til the last 2 days of this month ...go close deal if dest charge was included in the 26,600 price.

If this deal does not work out i have confirmed with a NJ dealership he will sell a 2014 model for invoice. I would suspect that a end of the month sale would mean going below invoice if he needs sales. On Flex cash dealers seem to use it as they see fit. there are a few honda dealers applying flex cash to 2014 CRV's.

• andy718andy718 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Brian125, looking to buy latest end of the month. In NYC area. 2013 or 2014 accord sport, Order of preference for exterior colors;blue, steel, black. interior color black. Would rather get the 2013 if there are still great deals left and 0.9 financing. Been lurking on the forum. No need to half [non-permissible content removed] attempt the pricing, i am ready to buy. = ). Your help is much appreciated.
  • rivhilrivhil Member Posts: 12
    I've been following along with the forum, using brian's advice. I've received in writing two detailed quotes. In the forum, we've talked about destination/deliver & doc fees. However, I see that there'a a few other fees. Need help in determining what these are please-

Doc Stamp
    Non Tax Fees
    Taxable Fees (estimated)
    Accessories

Thanks so much for your help!
    edited September 2013
    Thank you Brian. I will do as suggested. In my original inquiry, I asked for Sales Price including destination and the out the door price so expecting it to include the destination, but will ask again before driving 90 mts. from my house. They have car in stock and gave me vin number. As i see the note from california with additional dealer add ons, and factoring your advice, I am going to tell dealer i am thinking this over and not go in today.
    Invoice price with destination fee for this car is $28,269.

What are the quotes you have received so far?
    With regards to the fees you have listed, you need to ask the dealer what they are for.

The only fees you should see listed are dealer documentation fees, title and registration fees.

You also listed accessories. Are you purchasing any dealer-add ons? If not, then you should either ask the dealer to find you a car without any accessories or list the price of all the accessories you will be purchasing.