Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    gil123gil123 Member Posts: 16
    How far north are you willing to go? I bought an EX-L about 10 days ago. These dealers gave competitive quotes if you're willing to travel within L.A. a bit:

Goudy Honda
    Diamond Honda of Glendale
    Norman Reeves, Cerritos
    Norman Reeves, W. Covina
    Galpin Honda
    Airport Marina
    Honda of Hollywood

I eventually bought from Honda of Hollywood. You can scroll up a couple of pages to read about my experience and price for an EX-L. Airport Marina gave me the best initial quote, while Galpin felt the most open to negotiations. I bought from Hollywood because they were very competitive with price, close to home, and very good from prior (and current) experiences. My wife had a good experience from the repair shop, which is a big deal when you consider how often repair guys try to upsell women.
  • Options
    2beinformed2beinformed Member Posts: 15
    Goudy Honda wanted me to come in for a test drive without providing a quote. Norm Reeves Covina said they ran out of 2013 Ex and offered me 2014 model for $24,550 excluding Destination charge fees. Today Norm Reeves Cerritos quoted $23,260 but the offer is good only for today. I have tried a few in Gardena/huntington beach but they also said the one I was requesting for has been sold and call them back if I want the 2014 models. I will try the rest of the places you've mentioned. I'm willing to drive up to SB and down to SD if the deal is good... just not sure how to respond when they say that they're not making any profit or losing money if they accept my target price. My budget is 25k.. so my target price should be $22k before taxes and misc fees? Should I respond to internet managers (email) or floor managers (phone)?
  • Options
    cardionpcardionp Member Posts: 21
    Plagwate,
    Did you get your car?
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited October 2013
    If you could get the internet mgr to fax over the bill of sale to you. this is the easiest trans action in the car buying world. You could always work out financing when you get to the dealership or you may get approved outside financing 1st and let dealership match or beat.

By having that buyers order faxed to you all pricing is on there with taxes and fee's.. There are no surprises when you go to pick up your vehicle.
    90% of my vehicles i buy this way. You buy like this one time you will never want to go the conventional route again.

Penn fed credit union lowest rates, 25 dollars to join if your non military/ Reduced fee if anybody in your family served or prior law enforcement.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    2 - first off, you are not probably not going to achieve $22k on an EX - that's 2000 below invoice. Taxes and fees in CA amount to about 11percent of the purchase price, so if you are going to think in those terms, use that number in your calculation. What is your purchase time frame? 2014 pricing will get more aggressive by December as inventories increase and year end approaches. Try to work exclusively with Internet Mgr/Depts. Talking with "floor" managers over the phone is almost as frustrating as sitting in the little office at the dealer. With as many Honda dealers as there are in your search area, you should get some competitive quotes. You do have to be realistic in your expectations though, I don't think 2014s have incentives yet and 2013 supply is slim.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • Options
    misterscmistersc Member Posts: 23
    Thank youcars12345. The dealer made so many mistakes or intentional games that at the end they threw in other things as we wasted hours over 2 days. They threw in $100 gift certificate, wheel locks, 4 free oil changes and car and cargo mats. I'm happy but would have preferred not to waste this many hours. Twice the dealer gave the wrong vin number and it was for a lesser model and not the ex-l as if I would not have caught it. The entire experience very negative but all done and closed off now and i have a beautiful new accord 14-exl which I love. Surprisingly the acceleration is very good for a 4-Cyl and I love the touch pad, a lot nicer than my bmw x-drive. I love the car and hope to not have another car buying experience for many years. Thank you again everyone and especially Brian and BlueMonkey (i'm sure i got that name wrong ..lol).
  • Options
    plagwateplagwate Member Posts: 24
    Not yet. I've been out of town so I haven't been able to spend a lot of time car shopping. Besides, I want a V6 in Hematite and there are very few in the metro Atlanta area right now. Figured it would be better to wait until inventories have strengthened. By that time, Honda Days should be rolling around so 0.9% financing may be an option too.
  • Options
    Thank you for letting me know that the amount I was hoping to get is unrealistic. After seeing the invoice breakdown from johnnguyen714 msg#30505 back in August, I was hoping to get a similar deal. I will reply to the dealerships' emails and see if they can lower their initial quote of $23k. If it doesn't work out, I will wait until December and check back on this page regularly so I know when is a good time to buy. How likely will they lower their interest rate to 0.9% for 60 months in December?
  • Options
    Yes - John got a pretty good deal of about 1400 below invoice when there still plenty of 2013s left and dealers were pumping them out in anticipation of 2014s coming in. But be patient - those deals or even better will come back - and yes, the good financing rates have become commonplace so you should see those return too - Honda usually likes to use great finance rates in lieu of conventional rebates.

Bill
  • Options
    Regarding Goudy, ask for a different person. Gloria there gave me a quote without any hassle.

As mentioned by others, ask to speak with the internet manager. Be sure to ask about add-ons (pro-pak, car alarm, etc.) when you get your quote. Pasadena, for example, gave me a good initial quote, but didn't mention $1,200 in add-ons until I specifically asked (incidentally, I found Veronica there particularly irritating for several reasons that I can PM to you if curious).

In California, if your budget is $25K, then your target price is about $22600 for all vehicle expenses before state fees/taxes (I created a spreadsheet macro for my own purchases).
  • Options
    I asked DCH Gardena Honda and Norm Reeves Cerritos to lower their price or price match $22,700 with dest. charge included and I only got a response from Gardena asking where I got the quote from. He also said that $23,370 was their best price since it is below invoice price and they have no more room to reduce. Would anyone be able to predict how much can I get a 2014 Accord EX for towards the end of the year? Since other dealerships have limited stock on the 2013 models and my choice of color, I don't know if I should try to work it out with the quotes I've received and settle on $23k-ish or just wait for the 2014 accord incentives. Someone should open a business that specialize in haggling to help out consumers like me for a fee! Good price is $500 below invoice? Excellent deal is $1,400+ below invoice? Buy MSRP without knowing that you could haggle? stress-freeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    edited October 2013
    Mid size sales figures for Sept:

Camry - 31871
    Accord - 25227
    Altima - 21221
    Fusion - 19972
    Malibu - 14487
    Sonata - 13872
    Optima - 11647

Looks like things slowed down a bit from last months ferocious pace. Camry continues to spank Accord mainly due to the massive discounts Toyota is heaping on the model. Well off for a few weeks to enjoy my new red 2014 EX-L! I was able to get mine for a price of $25470 (dest included) but i had a $499 Doc fee added to that figure. I then countered by getting $400 of accessories thrown in for "free" AND got my average condition trade appraised at $700 more than what KBB and Autotrader said a similar good condition vehicle was worth. As i always preach, i negotiated on the OTD price and did 80% of it via email only. Off to cruise some roads!
  • Options
    Good job....................... Enjoy your new accord.

• Options
    Don't let a few salespeople get you down. If a dealership isn't willing to haggle on the phone/e-mail, that's fine. Yes, there are those who won't budge or jerk you around. But I know from firsthand experience, this month, that there are dealerships in the L.A. area who ARE willing to compete for your business and give you decent quotes.

I called 22 dealerships. One was a joker and offered MSRP. A few acted like you described. About 8-9 gave me decent quotes. I ended up having serious conversations with a handful of them.

You have a wide purchasing area, and that is a strong advantage: the LA/OC region has dozens of dealerships. Call as many dealerships as you can stomach. Focus on the ones who give you a no-nonsense quote and ignore the ones who don't budge.

I too wrestled with the 2013/2014 dilemma. Generally, the 2013 is cheaper, but low inventory has buoyed it's pricing to be competitive with the 2014, at least, from my experience.

As Brian and others have mentioned, your strongest position will be at the end of a month and quarter. That's when some dealers will are willing to take some loss on a given vehicle in order to make a quota. The flipside of what that means is that right now -- the start of the month -- will not be the best time to buy (on average).
  • Options
    Ditto what Brian said - good deal fx - I know we don't need to tell you to enjoy your new car but what the heck - enjoy your new accord!

Bill G
  • Options
    This is exactly the way to get a good deal in SoCal. I prefer email, but eventually you will need to talk on the phone to fine tune and close in on the deal. Like gil says, usually a small handful of dealers will stand out and that's where you will land your deal.

Bill G
  • Options
    bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    I am not quite sure how you could have gotten my screen name wrong. Anyway, enjoy your new car.
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • Options
    bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    I do agree that in this market and at this time of the year, there is a very small probability that Boston dealers would be willing to sell a 2014 EX-L for that much below invoice.

When I dealt with Boch Honda, there was not much wiggle room from their sale price.

On a different note, some forum contributors have stated that some dealers are offering flex cssh on the 2014 models. Is that the case?
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • Options
    That was hilarious Mike - that's why I think it's just easier to call you by your first name - blue

Bill
  • Options
    salsmithsalsmith Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how the NJ market is. Considering Clinton Honda, Phillipsburg, Madison. Better deals on 2013 or wait for 2014. Looking for LX. Thank You.
  • Options
    juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    Hi Sal,

NJ market has been in line with the rest of the country I guess. There are still some 2013 on the lots, but less and less daily. My suggestion would be to go 2014 at this point due to depreciation unless that does not matter, 2013 only if you get a really good deal that beats the change in depreciation.

I helped a friend at the end of august get an accord from a dealership I usually buy from and the price quoted at the beginning of the month was the price paid at the end of the month, and no other dealership came close. If you would like my assistance let me know via a PM.

Thanks and best of luck,
    Julian
  • Options
    altwin75altwin75 Member Posts: 5
    Bought a 2014 Accord EX-L Champange Frost exterior & Ivory interior in Los Angeles for $26,590. OTD was $29,400.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited October 2013
    There are businesses like that they are called "Car Brokers" and for the most part, they have gone the way of the dinosaur. They will charge you 300.00 or so for their efforts.

Today, we have the internet with forums such as this one. You only job is to ferret out the "real" deals that have happened and the ones that never happened.

It really doesn't have to be a stressful situation UNLESS a person is absolutely determined to squeeze every last penny out of a car deal. That is when things get stressful. No dealer is going to lose money on a car deal nor will any dealer cheap sell a car when they KNOW there are others who will feel it's good deal.

Every year people flit from one store to another this time of year thinking they are going to "steal" a leftover 2013. The dealers know this and this is when a lot of nice profitable deals are made.

Also, do not depend on or expect incentives to continue. They are always cut off when the stores (and shoppers) least expect it. Same applies to finance rates.

A lot of good advice can be gleaned from forums like this. Just be sure to salt and pepper what you read.

Or, you can send me a ticket to LAX and I'll be your broker! I can visit my friends where I grew up in San Pedro and work you a great deal! Heck, I won't even charge you!
  • Options
    sting23raysting23ray Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking for a 2014 Accord Coupe - V6 - Manual.

I was just quoted:

Base Price 27000
    freight: 800
    Doc: 200

Taxes are extra....

And the dealer is telling me come in to the to do any further negotiations.... How do I handle it? Go in? Or ask him to continue via email?
    Please comment and help me out....
  • Options
    Sting - No Nav? If so, and if this is a legit quote, you are at around 800 below invoice on a 2014 - not bad. Is the car in stock? Are you requesting quotes from multiple dealers? Beware of unwanted dealer add ons that pack their profit. I usually like to get multiple quotes for comparison.

Bill G
  • Options
    Those are oddball cars that appeal to very few buyers so if a dealer has one in stock they may be willing to cut a deal to make it go away.

On the other hand, since they are so few of them a dealer may hold out for more money especially if he has done a "locate" and knows nobody else in the area has one.

Nothing wrong with these but coupes aren't good sellers especially with a stick.
  • Options
    thegiverthegiver Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    I wanted to check if this is a good price for a 2013 Accord LX Automatic - 20100 + dealer fees (399). This is at Autofair Honda in Manchester NH. NH does not have any sales tax component. I have to finance through Honda financing service (HFS) though to get the price, otherwise, the price jumps up 500 dollars and I lose the 0.9% offer from HFS.

Any thoughts from others before I decide on the purchase?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    What is your purchase time frame? It is likely by Dec, you'd get a better deal than this on a 2014. Currently you could probably get a 2014 for invoice to 500 below invoice, however, no incentives on them yet. If the 500 flex cash and 0.9 are important and you need the car soon, you are at about 1000 below invoice factoring in the doc fee and flex cash - not a bad deal but not as good as what they were going for a few weeks ago.

Bill G
  • Options
    sting23raysting23ray Member Posts: 7
    Yes Sir... this is the price with no Nav. I'm thinking NAV might not be worth 2K.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise. I think as long as I am not paying MSRP, I'll be content. Under my current situation, I will not be able to wait until December to get the best deal like my friend did in 2012 ($25k OTD for 2013 Sedan EX). Norm Reeves Cerritos offered $24,009 (destination&handling included) for the 2014 version so I might settle for this deal since White 2013 EX is scarce. However, I'll ask other dealers in SoCal to see if they can beat this deal or offer me a little more. I also just learned that sales tax will be based on county of residence. I was planning to get the car at Ventura county for the 7.5% tax rate instead of LA's 9% tax rate. Does anyone know if it's possible for the dealer to apply the lower tax rate? I was told they cannot...What is everyone's invoice breakdown in SoCal for their 2014 Accord Sedan Exes? Thanks for all the responses so far :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    2 - it sounds like the timing of your purchase could work against you. Also, please don't repeat to the dealer what you said in the second sentence of your post (ha ha). As far as sales tax (called use tax in CA), what you were told is correct - I believe the rule is the tax is based on your registration address at time of purchase (for most, that would be their residence). Even if you purchased your car in a state with no sales tax and the dealer didn't collect it at time of purchase, you would be required to pay it when you go to DMV to register it. Government officials have this all figured out, believe me.

Hope your search works out.

Bill G
  • Options
    thegiverthegiver Member Posts: 3
    My purchase time frame is before the end of the month. I am running against depleting stock of the 2013 LX's. Between 2013 and 2014, there are no feature differences, and hence I am willing to get the that is cheapest.
  • Options
    If you need to buy now, and model year is not a consideration, and you have located a 2013 that you want, that's the way to go. You will get the slightly lower price and they still have good financing rates.

Bill
  • Options
    Sales tax totally sucks.. lol A salesman suggested that I wait another 2-3 weeks 'til the end of the month to get the best deal from him since demand is high right now with what I'm looking for. I guess waiting another 2-3 weeks wouldn't hurt. Will post an update when I purchase the car. Does Honda sell a separate set of handles? I'm not too fond of the chrome/ silver color.
  • Options
    huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    fyi, salesmen don't let serious customers walk. I don't know what you said, but he sized you up as someone who wasn't ready to buy a car so he told you to come in later in the month for a better deal. He doesn't expect to see you again but if he does, he assumes he has earned your trust by advising you that you will get a better deal and then he will try to take advantage of that trust and get you to pay more than you should.
  • Options
    Yep, that salesperson "lot dropped" that customer. He figured there was nothing there and he had a non-serious non buyer on his hands that he wanted to get rid of hoping for a better customer.

Had management heard him say that he would be working somewhere else now.

I never did that myself but I could usually size up a non-buyer from a serious buyer in five minutes. I was sometimes wrong but not very often.

When a person is working on straight commission getting the wrong customer can basically waste hours especially on a busy day.
  • Options
    capegirl5capegirl5 Member Posts: 35
    Inventory for the EX-L 6V Sedan is low where I am too! What's the deal? More inventory available with Navigation (whichnI don't need/want), so I am waiting too...for what it's worth, I am in the Midwest area.
  • Options
    plagwateplagwate Member Posts: 24
    And to make it more difficult, Edmunds' inventory search has trouble discerning between Hematite Metallic and Modern Steel Metallic. Edmunds' search shows that there are several V6s in Hematite Metallic in my area. But when I go to the dealers' websites and match the VINs, they turn out to be Modern Steel Metallic. I don't know if this is a problem on the dealers' end or Edmunds but I wish they would get it worked out.
  • Options
    capegirl5capegirl5 Member Posts: 35
    The Hermatite is a grey/green color, right? It is very nice! I am wanting plain 'ole white/pearl. I sent out price requests via email and the lowest bids are around 28,260 +$99 doc fee and no one seems to want to budge lower. I THINK invoice price is around $27,573 but then some sites show $28,500. Have you found a consistent number youre going with? I have to go out of town this weekend so I will get very serious next week when I get back. I have been to bank to get loan done, so thats good. I want to try to see if I can get trade-in value via email too but some dealerships won't do that. I hate the idea of sitting at a dealership all day on a day off to finish the deal. Are you planning to purchase this month too?
  • Options
    cardionpcardionp Member Posts: 21
    I got the msm and it is beautiful. Looks great with black leather. Next slightly tinted windows. I'm really liking this car.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Capegirl - no dealer is going to commit to a trade in value without physically appraising your trade in vehicle. Recommend going to Carmax for an appraisal if you have one close to you. You can also touch base with used car managers at dealers who sell the brand of your trade in to get it appraised - if it's clean, they might buy it. Doing these things along with kbb and edmunds figures will provide you some ammo that will lessen your stress when negotiating with the dealer you are trying to buy your new vehicle from.

Bill G
  • Options
    hps25hps25 Member Posts: 20
    Can you please give dealer name, and detail about the price you pay..
    Base Price, Tax, Doc fee and tax ??
    I am also in LA and looking such kind of good deal for EX-L 2014

Thanks in advance ..
  • Options
    Hello again,

Got 3 dealerships competing against each other, the lowest I got for the 2014 EX is $23,700 with dest. Included. That's about $800 below invoice price of $24,498 right? they say I can't get the 1.9% rate on the 2014 model? =/ I'm still waiting for the other dealership to accept my offer for the 2013 EX but it'll probably get sold over this weekend... what rate did you guys get when you bought the 2014 assuming you have excellent credit? My friend suggested that try the banks to see who give me the lowest APR first before trying the dealership.. any advice?
  • Options
    2 - the 23.7 price is probably as good as you can expect on a 2014 at this point. As far as financing, do you have access to a credit union? Some folks on this forum have reported having good luck with PenFed (Pentagon Federal Credit Union). Right now they offer 1.99% on a 60 month loan. Google them and see if you can join - the loan process can be done on line.

Bill G
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    I can certainly respect the perspective of the salesperson. After all they are there to earn a living. When I visit a car lot or any sales place and know I am just looking, I offer that up immediately, explain to the salesperson I don't want to waste their time, ask for their name and/or card and let them know I will ask for them if I want to take it further. And, yes, I do ask for them and have purchased. I try to be a considerate shopper.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    altwin75altwin75 Member Posts: 5
    Bought at Airport Marina Honda

2014 Accord EX-L 4 cylinder
    Champagne Frost Exterior
    Ivory interior

Base Price: $26,690 ($40 over invoice)
    Mud guards: $100 installed
    Tax: $2,418
    Doc Fees: $80
    Regis License Tires : $311.75
    OTD: $29,600

They did not have the color we wanted so they sent someone to Irvine (55 miles each way) and picked up the car.

We went to the Honda dealership on Hawthorne Blvd and were there for 2 hours, they spent half the time trying to talk us into buying a 2013. They finally gave up. They did not have the color we wanted so they searched the Southern California inventory and told us there were none in SoCal and they will have to get the car from the San Francisco area and would take time. I knew they were steering us to buy one off their lot. I knew they were lieing because the night before I checked the inventory of every dealership in SoCal and knew one dealer in Irvine had one and another dealer in Anaheim had one. When they told us there were none available in Socal we got up and left.
  • Options
    lil_owllil_owl Member Posts: 47
    I agree with Bill. Look into PenFed. They have excellent rates and appear to be one of the few lenders that still allow a true co-signer/guarantor (without turning them into a co-borrower and adding them onto title).
  • Options
    huskerfan5huskerfan5 Member Posts: 165
    You may not have been lied to.
    isell, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the dealer searches a database maintained by Honda of regional inventory. What you see at the dealer's website is only as good as their last update which could have been yesterday, last week or when their clerk left for vacation.
  • Options
    warrior11warrior11 Member Posts: 1
    I have found this forum invaluable and have used it to lease my 2006 Infiniti and buy our 2008 Honda Civic. Time moves on and now my son is in need of the forum's expertise to help buy his first new car. We are located in Atlanta area and he wants a 2014 Honda EX-L V6 Black on Black. (color is neg.) Our tax rate is 6%. In addition, I must also add a Vehicle Ad Valorem Assessment of 511.00 for that vehicle in my area.
    We are member of USAA and I understand they also have a car buying service and rates that might be attractive but I sure he would do better using you guys. What is the invoice on that V-6 car and What would be a good OTD price to offer?
    As much detail will be helpful. We are Not afraid to make a drive to get the best deal!
    Thx
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Warrior

Stick with getting your best selling price on the vehicle 1st. Your otd pricing consists of state tax, dmv fee's , dealers doc fee charge, and in your state you pay to them a Valorem tax.

Invoice w dest charge on the 2014 EXl V-6 = 28,543.

Target price should start at 500 below invoice and work up from that number back towards invoice price Making your best deal at months end.

You have very high doc fee's in your state $500 plus. When you make your initial offer to buy from each dealership you have to know each dealers doc fee charge and add them onto your asking price so its a wash on the bill of sale.

Asking price to buy at 500 below invoice with a dealership doc fee of 500 would mean your telling each dealership you will buy today for $27,543.
    Read thru past boards to get idea's on pricing and buying. Get as many dealership involved as you are willing to travel making your best deal at the end of this month. last 2 days last day if possible. Use the internet for emailing and speaking directly to each dealerships internet mgr. Do not deal with floor salesman on the phone you will waste your time. Int/ MGR or his sales team only. Dealerships that are not close to you that wont give your pricing or deal with you via email or phone remove from your buying search.

From what i broke down you could get a good ideal on your otd pricing.

AS more 2014 models sit on dealers lots pricing will decrease along with 2013 models. Folks buying a 2013 model in late Nov into Dec will see pricing as high as 2k below invoice plus. Those 2013 models will be the worst colors and models not selling. Remember do not let dealership recoup his money by loading up his remaining 2013 stock with every accessorie possible and making you pay his cost.. If you decide you want the car buy those add ons at invoice price or walk away...

You will make your best deal on a 2014 by using the tips and advice given in this forum.

You have a high volume honda dealership in AT, Georgia cant think of name.. Try google search...