Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    edited October 2013
    Car manufactorers should just cut out all this pricing nonsense and have a fixed price for there model vehicles.

Can you say Saturn? Or Scion?

I purchased 4 Saturns from 2002 through 2008 and the business model was second to none. My wife loved buying Saturns since the process was so easy.

If manufacturers sold the cars directly to the public (a la Tesla), that business model would work. However, since the dealers are independent sellers - protected in every state by many, many laws - we will almost certainly be stuck with the model we have, in which every consumer is on his or her own to get the best price.

Which is why these forums - and the folks who are here helping others - exist.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    Are you looking to purchase a 2013 or 2014 model?

Here is a list of fees you should be aware of:

1. Dealer documentation fees (I hear they are very high in Florida)
    2. Title and registration fees (should be the same across dealerships, but you still want to know what it is)

Hence, if you are planning to email dealerships, here is the info you are interested in when asking for an online quote:

1. Sales price including destination fee (but without any incentives)
    2. Dealer documentation fees (varies from dealer to dealer)
    3. Title and registration fees (should be the same across dealerships, but you still want to know what it is)
    4. Any current incentives
    5. OTD - Out The Door pricing - It will list the price of the car, plus dealer fees, title and registration fees and taxes.

Hope that helps.
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • raf139raf139 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks! I found this information on one of your old post. Also the information on Dealer doc fees (Florida has no cap on rates). If I find a 2013 in the trim I want I may take it (V6-6MT). Also take advantage of 0.9% financing. But 2014's are also an option. Edmunds tmv a good otd price to aim for in my area?

Thanks Again
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited October 2013
    I would reach out to Brandon honda in Tampa..... High volume dealership.

They have several int/mgrs............. ask for TONY, L make your best deal at the end of the month

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• raf139raf139 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks! Any other dealerships in the area you recommend?
    Thru the early 90's with gas prices down once again, small car sales slowed and poor Saturn no longer seemed so important. as a result management began focusing on Suv's and pick ups. Saturns models remained largely the same for nearly a decade while its competitors kept improving.

Saturn achieved perfection on the day it was born but gradually transformed into something far less.. just another misguided venture from Gm who chose not to invest in the changing times for Saturn.

No....... I have no others only brandon from a prior sale .I bought a honda Pilot from them 5 yrs ago. They are a big dealership. When i called for pricing they agreed within mins. of my conversation. i sent a friend over there recently and he dealt with who i recommended.. Good luck

• buyaccordexlbuyaccordexl Member Posts: 2
    Anyone recommend a good dealer who is not going to jerk me around on internet pricing in RI / Southern MA ? Sacucci in Newport do not return my emails and Herb Chambers in Warwick want me to actually go in to the showroom. Anyone speak to the internet sales savinnes of Colonial, Majestic, Silko, Metro or other local dealers ?

Thanks
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Fess up to what?

Did you spend 13.5 years of your life in Honda store?

Well, I did and I can tell you there is no "secret" invoices. The invoice is what the dealer pays! At the end of the year there is a piddly 2% holdback that is paid.

On occasion there is some "trunk money" as we used to call it where a store may get an extra 2-500 dollars and sometimes there are strings attached to that where so many cars have to get sold before the money happens.

Then there is the tremendous overhead that I know nobody cares about.

Add in payroll, taxes, insurance etc and you can then see why if I had the two million dollars or more it would take to open a store I would, instead invest that money in some good mutual funds and just relax.

Then the market gets diluted as other stores are opened nearby.

Then the stores are forced to undertake major remodels from time to time at their expense.

Any business HAS to make a profit to survive and provide jobs for the community.

Nothing sneaky or sinister here. Just reality.
    I'm glad you mentioned Saturn.

Saturns were decent cars. Not great but certainly not bad by any means.

They tried a different approach and they failed for a number of reasons.

For every person who liked their "no dicker" easy to buy approach, there were many others who simply would not pay FULL PRICE for a car!

They had well trained salespeople who would pound on the plastic door panels.

They tried to squeeze another car into an already overcrowded marketplace.

I would have loved it if every Honda sold for MSRP. I can't tell you how many hours I spent with customers grinding me trying to squeeze every last dollar out of a deal.

So, lower the price to allow a good value and a decent profit and stick with it.

We do have a local store that sells a luxury brand. The same owner has I think three or four stores in the state. They don't put up with price grinders. They will allow a decent discount. They will tell the shopper the price and they won't move from that number. Since they own the other stores in the state, that works pretty well.
    Isell ,

30 honda dealerships in and around NYC, Tri-state area and long island. Do we really need 30. Cant be as bad as your saying not in my area. None are going out of business either. I'm sure they are feeling the pinch from the economy. Thankful honda makes well built reliable vehicles better than the majority of car companies. Others are creeping up to that level but not yet. Until Gm can get there [non-permissible content removed] together and produce quality vehicles Honda ,Toyota , Nissan will continue on there merry way.

Just because a store isn't going out of business doesn't mean it's doing well.

" Do we really need 30"?

I guess Honda Corp thinks so and depending on the population and other factors, 30 might be the right number. I don't know.

I know I would rather see 20 stores doing well and making a decent return on their investment. I would like to see salespeople making a good living instead of barely getting by with high turnover.

You can't keep quality people unless you train them and pay them well.
    Am I the only one having strange problems here with navigating these forums?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    Nope, I'm also experiencing some formatting issues with some forums.

Hold tight, we're planning to move to new forums hosting software soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I agree - too much competition within markets, I'm sure HONDA itself doesn't car as long as the cars are selling and they are making money.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Of course, when more stores are added it has to cannibalize business from the other stores to some extent.

But the price shoppers must delight since they have more stores to pit against one another.

It quickly becomes a ruined marketplace and there are lots of those out there.
  • pilmpilm Member Posts: 5
    I'd try Weymouth, a bit longer drive but they are VERY upfront in their pricing, so you know exactly what you are getting without having to drive and play the stupid pricing game with some pinhead salesmen that won't give you upfront pricing!
  • buyaccordexlbuyaccordexl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks pilm - will do
  • cars12345cars12345 Member Posts: 44
    You could try Silko Honda too. When I was looking in August they had a competitive internet price on a 2013 (not the lowest, but in the ballpark) but were just too far south for me to make it worth starting negotiations. They also have 2 year free maintenance and free lifetime powertrain warranty.

I had the worse experience with Bernardi of Natick so I personally wouldn't go to Bernardi of Brockton, but that was just my experience. Didn't honor the internet price and then offered me about $25 for my trade in (trust me, I'm not exaggerating that much).

Good luck.
    edited October 2013
    Although Weymouth Honda is upfront with their internet pricing, I have learned (from experience) that they are not always willing to negotiate on price.

I purchased my Accord from Honda Cars of Boston. It might be a drive for you, but you could give them a try. They have some of the lowest internet pricing around and they are not going to jerk you around.

Avoid PRIME Honda at all cost. They are going to play games and waste your time.

Good luck.
  • cars12345cars12345 Member Posts: 44
    Someone in an earlier post mentioned getting the deal of the century on a 2014 EXL from Boch. Though I could think of a million things I'd rather do with my money than give it to the super high pressure Ernie Boch Jr. so he can make another dumb commercial...if the poster's story is true you can try them out. (there is some doubt about his story though...a bit of the too good to be true aspect) I believe they are in Norwood which would still be a hike from RI, but not too awful if you can truly strike the deal of the century.

Just remember, once you are in their showroom, it's a bear to get out of there alive.

Let us know where you end up.
    edited October 2013
    I am still extremely doubtful of the person who claimed to have gotten a great deal on a 2014 model from Boch Honda.

Here is their original post where they claimed to have paid $1550 below invoice: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef006d2/31347#MSG31347.

I have not heard from them ever since.

If the poster is reading this, they are free to post the sales rep's first name here (no need for any last names or phone number), so that buyaccordexl can reach out to them.
  • capegirl5capegirl5 Member Posts: 35
    I have been negotiating a deal via the internet sales mgr...2 weeks ago, he quoted a price + $169 doc fee and today the "internet price" of the car (around invoice) is the same but the doc fee has jumped to $299...what is up with that? Any thoughts on how to proceed? I sent an email back asking to tell me why the increase?
    I have been looking at 6V Sedans, so I am comparing apples to oranges (and I do like both!)...what is the invoice?
    Counter the dealers 299 doc fee charge by telling that dealership you will buy for 300 below dealers invoice. Do not make your offer til your ready to buy.
    By adding on doc fee's to your offer price to buy will make that charge a wash on the final bill of sale.

You should know every dealerships doc fee charge before you buy. If you live in N.J. Check Auto-sport Honda for pricing Int/ mgr George most likely will make this deal at the end of the month.

I would tell that dealership that the $299 doc fee is a deal breaker for you.

Make sure you have a backup dealership in case this one does not budge.
  • orion13orion13 Member Posts: 1
    2014 EX-L V6 Sedan - Obsidian Blue Pearl
    $28390 + doc fees ($129) + TTL
    Financed thru American Honda Finance - 1.74% / 60 Months

Is it a ok deal?
  • plagwateplagwate Member Posts: 24
    Yeah, but don't get the remote starter. ;)

I'm ready to make my purchase with a target price of $28,000 plus tax, tag and title. We'll see if I can get it.
    That's my target price! Hope we both get it! I am dealing with a dealer that is trying to increase the doc fee! I believe the dealership has "changed hands" and the new owner charges a higher fee! Hoping to have a new car by this time next week for $28,000 OTD!
  • altwin75altwin75 Member Posts: 5
    It has been 2 weeks and 511 miles since I bought the car. The mileage I am getting so far is 20.8 mpg, it was a shocker. I thought would get at least 24. All driving is in city heavy west Los Angeles traffic. I drove 7 miles on 405 today at 5:15 pm and it took about 30 - 40 minutes. For those who know LA, it was from Howard Hughes Center to Rosecrans exit. All my driving is around LAX area.

Interested in knowing what you guys are getting. how did the EPA get 27 mpg city?
  • 4th_honda4th_honda Member Posts: 2
    I have the same car newly purchased in the Dallas, TX area. In the city, I'm getting 30-31 mpg. On highway about 37-38 mpg. I love this car. After driving my 1998 Honda Accord EX-L for 16 years and 330,000+ miles, I decided to buy another one just like it. The 1998 6th generation of my car is still running fine, but wow I love this 9th generation 2014 version.

Took it for a drive to San Antonio, TX and got the 38 mpg. Sure glad I don't have to drive in LA.
  • rihc55rihc55 Member Posts: 3
    The dealer stated that the invoice was $28547. Online research indicates that it is actually closer to $27.5. The dealer went as low as $26.8k including all fee's except the stuff i'd do at the DMV.
    STOP!! Quit checking your gas mileage!

OK, you are on probably your second tank of gas now. When your car arrived they probably filled up the gas tank. Then the car sat and idled for a long time while they did the pre delivery inspection. Then it got moved around the parking lot etc.

For some reason and I've seen this time and time again, it takes several thousand miles before a new Honda will get it's best gas mileage!

Checking it when the car isn't even broken in will yield false results.

I'm from your neck of the woods (Rancho Palos Verdes) and given your
    driving conditions you will never get the mileage others will get.

Relax, quit checking it and after 2000 miles, check it again.
    edited October 2013
    I'm in the NYC area i average between 18 to 22 mpg with all the stop and go.
    Once you drive open road on a highway you should get 24mpg or better.
    I have the V-6 model Drove up to boston 2x with my Accord and averaged about 24 mpg. Gas mileage could of been better depending on how fast your driving.... A/c on............... etc.
    As your accord breaks in you will notice better gas mileage.

4th Honda, I had the same car! Drove it for 300,000 miles on the original transmission...then, in 07, I was mesmerized by the looks of a Nissan Maxima...very fun to drive, but we have had countless issues. About to purchase a 6V EX-L and I will probably never buy another brand of car! Your post confirmed it!
    Rihc, where did you get that invoice price? I have seen it but can't find it again! Everywhere I look quotes the $28,573?! When I first committed to buying, I was interested in a 2013 and in my area, we just didn't have inventory to support me getting a good deal on the color I wanted, so I have a lot of numbers in my head...
  • gil123gil123 Member Posts: 16
    As others noted, wait until the engine breaks-in.

If it makes you feel better, I am getting 17 mpg by driving up and down the hills from L.A. to the Valley.
    edited October 2013
    Car manufactorers are testing these vehicles in perfect conditions, certain speed and on a straight run. i find MPG are always off from the suggested number. Hyundai just settled a law suit for lying about there mpg's on there sonatas.

• rihc55rihc55 Member Posts: 3
    Hmm.. i cant find it now either. I swear i didn't intentionally make it up. I wonder what i was looking at...
  • plagwateplagwate Member Posts: 24
    What is the problem with Edmunds' inventory search engine? I come here and do a search for 2014 Accords in Hematite Metallic. Quite a few of them appear. But when I go to the individual dealers' websites, most of them turn out to be grey. It can't be coincidence that so many dealers in my area don't know the difference between green and grey. Does anyone know how this data is uploaded into Edmunds' system?
  • gil123gil123 Member Posts: 16
    That's for sure!

My mpg is close to worst-case since I drive up steep and windy inclines, run the AC, and tend to have a heavy foot on my accelerator. And it's all city. I never expect to hit those EPA numbers. My wife usually averages 10% or better mpg than I do.

(Don't get my started on Hyundai. I have vowed to never buy one of those cars in my lifetime, ever. When was a kid, they did a terrible bait-and-switch to my mom where they not only changed prices, they gave her a different model car than she thought she was buying. That vehicle missed the lemon law threshold by merely one repair.)
    Ok...you are buying a 6V Coupe and I am buying a 6v sedan...maybe that is the difference in invoice pricing.
  • sunshine_boysunshine_boy Member Posts: 10
    I already own 2007 Accord EX and now in market to buy another sedan car. I have Accord in my list as well. Are there still enough 2013 Accords out there in the market place with better incentives compare to 2014 models?

My needs are to have power controlled seats + bluetooth/touch screen for audio navigation with a good MPG. I am looking to spend upto $26K OTD (possibly want to stay close to 25K).

Should I consider EX or EX-L? Anyone who bought their Accord recently, please share your experience and suggestions.

How much should be OTD for EX and EX-L? I live in Dallas, TX.
  • t2882t2882 Member Posts: 8
    Hey guys, question for you, can anyone give any pointers on buying a cpo (certified pre-owned) accord from the dealership? Have a buddy whose heading out to a dealership this weekend and looking for 2009-2012 accord to save money and not be hit with initial depreciation costs that a new car would have. Any information regarding the negotiaton process and anything else to look for would be awesome. Thanks
    edited October 2013
    Have outside finance in place make dealer match or beat your best rate.
    Get several book value prices... Edmunds, kbb, Nada, Galves etc.
    Always counter dealers lowest offer and tell him your going to consider it but your looking at 2 other cars that day.

Negotiate again by phone the next day or in a few days with a low ball price to see if dealer will bite or meet a price your willing to pay. Tell dealer you narrowed it down to 2 cars and best price gets your business. You will buy that day. You want to get to his bottom line price......... thats the game.

• gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    To get navigation, you'll need to go EXL. A 2014 cvt EXL with navigation has an invoice price of around 28,500. Current deals have been around 500 below invoice. Recommend you reevaluate your target price - I don't think you will get anywhere close to 26000 out the door on a 2013 or 2014.

Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • sunshine_boysunshine_boy Member Posts: 10
    My bad that I have confused you with my wording "audio navigation"..... I don't need Navigation (GPS) technology in a new vehicle. I think touch screen audio/apps navigation is sufficient for my needs.

Can I get a new Accord under $26K with all things I need?
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Oops - sorry bout that. Invoice on the LX is around 21,600 and the EX is around 24,300. You can research the feature differences on this site to see what meets your needs. Depending on your location's TTL, you might get the EX to 26000 out the door - the LX should be easily under 24000 out the door. There still might be a few 2013s around if you're not choosy on the color that you could get a killer deal on.

Bill
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • t2882t2882 Member Posts: 8
    brian,

So should the first step be to test drive all the vehicles my buddys interested in and then proceed with the negotiation away from the dealership (via phone/email)? My buddy stresses the importance for him to try out any of the cars before he even thinks about purchasing. Should we also not give the dealer any hints on what exact model we are looking for?

I have seen a few accords all sitting in one dealership that he is interested in, should we "pretend" we are going to other dealerships in the area to see other cars?

Thanks
    edited October 2013
    Yes.... Hit 3 or 4 dealerships for a test drive and narrow down what cars you may want. Try to negotiate at each dealership with pricing first.. If you feel price is to high do as i recommended the next day or couple later with a follow up phone / email. Some dealership will be up front with price and some will play games.... Weed out those dealerships. Same concept applies Supply and demand will determine a good price or a take it or leave it price from dealerships. Honda Accord is a very good resale vehicle.