Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    Yeah I'm not sure what the issue was with that guy. He had been making some comments about how I "asked too many questions" before just buying my car, and when I had the audacity to question THAT, I guess I was somehow challenging his authority.

I'd like to participate in the board now as an owner, since I like to help others who are also owners as we figure out this car together. If you want to send a PM to the guy on that forum his name is SatinSilver. Just tell him maybe I'm not so evil after all. I sent an email questioning why he banned me but never heard back. Such drama on internet message boards...really not necessary I think :)
    3000 off invoice sounds like a great deal.....don't get into the "maybe if I waited I could have gotten even more" thing cause it is a losing battle. You made a great deal, now spend your time enjoying the car. There will always be the possibility of a better deal if you wait....I mean you could wait until next October and then there will be deals on the '14s as the '15s come out. But then you are missing out on this awesome car for another year! Not a good trade IMO :)
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Hi Florence - Spreen is one of the more aggressive dealers in SoCal and will give you good pricing. Just watch for unwanted accessories or an unwanted alarm system - if they try to push those on you, do like isellhondas suggests and put a deposit down on an in transit vehicle (provided the pricing holds).

Good shopping and keep us posted!

Bill
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    That is a really sweet deal - congrats and enjoy your new Accord.

Bill G
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    A car sales person should never be fully relied upon. While there may be many basically honest sales people, all have the goal to sell and to sell at the highest possible price. Most take direction from the folks in the tower. The days of a sales person actually working a deal are long gone. Everything they do is orchestrated by the tower. Their agenda make skepticism essential. I do not sell Hondas but I do buy them.
  • capegirl5capegirl5 Member Posts: 35
    Hogan! Congrats on your deal...buying a car is stressful, I have decided. There's really no way around it if you are searching for a good/great deal. Sorry you got the slime of the first dealer. Those kind of situations are what give the car buying business such a bad name. BUT, it all worked out in the end! My family took a road trip (1K round-trip) in my car (V6, like yours) this weekend and it got fantastic gas mileage in the Econ mode (avg 32 mpg)...way better than the 21mpg hwy that the old Maxima got! My husband couldn't get comfortable in drivers seat...he said there is not good place for your arms on either side. But, overall, he liked the drive/ride...I am off to the carwash to detail my car after the long trip. Again, enjoy your new ride!!!
    Everyone is different and some people are super sensitive and easily-offended! I have lurked on driveaccord.net as an "owner", have you tried that site?
  • anand101anand101 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Hi All,

I bought a 2014 honda Accord EX last week from a dealer in Georgia. Here's what I paid for the car.

Dealer Price - 23,000
    Tax,Title,Tag,Registration out the door price - 25,350.
    Also, it doesnt include any flexcash. I got it financed through a bank.

I hope I got a good price. What do you all think? Thanks!
  • bluemkn57carsbluemkn57cars Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats on your purchase.

Could you clarify whether the "dealer price" included the destination fee?
    The invoice price (including destination fee) for the 2014 EX model is $24,288.

How much did you pay in doc fees and registration fees?
    2021 Audi A6 P+2018 Audi A4 P+ (lease returned)2013 Honda Accord EX-L (Sold)
  • anand101anand101 Member Posts: 2
    My mistake. Dealer price does not include dest fee. The dealer price with the dest fee comes to 23300. The rest is tax, title, registration, tag.
    Okay.

To help figure out whether you got a good deal overall, it would help if you listed the dealer doc fee.
    yeah that is the site we are talking about...driveaccord.net. That is the one that I cannot attend now as one of the mods banned me for some reason. Oh well, I guess I'll just get my info elsewhere which is too bad since I liked the activity of that board as well as the forum hosting software....same software as my old E46 BMW board which makes it easy to read unlike Edmunds :)

I drove the car around yesterday again (funny when you have a new car you find lots of little reasons to get out and drive) and still loving it. So nice and smooth. I've hesitated to really stomp on the accelerator as I want to properly break in the car for a few miles first.....but even with some normal accel pedal the thing just winds up and goes with that great little high pitched whine overlaid on the primary engine sound (not a bad thing IMO). Played with the bluetooth pairing and it seemed to work but then later I couldn't seem to dial from the Honda's screen directly but I still could from my phone and have it come over the Honda system. I was also to play music directly from my phone directly over Bluetooth and it somehow found all my songs...not sure how it did that but it was cool.

Anyway I'm very happy and looking forward to enjoying this car for years and years.
    Your price is still not clear - destination fee is 790 - to help other folks here, let us know what your sales price was (including destination and any dealer doc fee).

Thanks - and congrats on the new EX - you're gonna love it!

Bill G
  • biggus1biggus1 Member Posts: 7
    Those are all fair points. Thanks. :) It sounds like you got an incredible deal as well—$1800 under invoice (including flex cash) on a 2014 if I'm reading your notes correctly? Awesome job.
  • lil_owllil_owl Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone think the 15% below msrp will still be around in December (or if the deal might be even better at years end)?

I could jump through some major hoops to buy now, but I would prefer to wait.

Thoughts, anyone? :)
    I don't have my notes with me either but I recall the invoice being 28,543 on the EXL V6 (that number was burned in my head earlier in the process), so 26,999 is 1,544 below invoice (including flexcash). I think it's a great price for a 2014, but I wouldn't be surprised if more people start getting that price now and maybe even better as we get toward the end of the year. Since I had the initial dealer welch on me and tell me the price was "impossible" (even though the salesman said he had cleared it a few days earlier) I knew it was at least a "good" price :)

Good luck all
  • jim1462jim1462 Member Posts: 40
    Many potential Honda buyers lve in U.S. states with sparce Honda dealers. Therefore we are going to travel to get a good deal. It woudd be very helpful to all to list,in addition to the modle selling price, the dealers name/location. Also the Doc. Fee amount would be good to know, since a low amount would offset the travel costs. Thanks
    I am not an expert as I only buy a car once every 3 or 4 years, but from a general standpoint I would venture to guess that prices between now and December will NOT GO UP. How many consumer products have prices that GO UP for a given model number? I can't think of many except for food. You might have a new model of something that comes with a higher price (2014 Accord vs 2013 for example) but I'd feel pretty comfy that the prices you are seeing here would also be acheivable in December. And there is probably a good chance that you could achieve even better prices as 1) there should be a normal weakening of the price as the model year rolls on month to month but this might be very slight until you get close to the 2015s coming out next summer/fall and 2) around the end of December would be a time when Honda as well as each dealer would be incentivized to sell as many cars as possible. The impact of #2 is harder for me to guess....maybe another 250-500 from the 26,999 pricing I got or maybe not. I'd guess that acheiving 2000 below invoice even on December 31 is probably getting to the point of pain for a dealer.

If you're waiting anyway then I wouldn't rush it, but for me, I wanted to enjoy the car ASAP and didn't want to wait another 2 months to try to save a couple hundred bucks MAYBE (and it is a MAYBE not a definitely I think)
  • dinob661dinob661 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Lil)Owl,

First off I want to say I appreciate all of your input, as I am in the same area and looking for a good deal. Your deals you posted in here is beating the pants off anything I have been able to muster! I am going to try Spreen Honda and see what I can get.

how long ago where you quoted those prices? Did you do it through their internet sales?

Thank you for your help!!!
    Hogan773,

This is along the lines of what I was thinking (hoping anyways). I could buy now, but it would be a big hassle for me where the timing is much better in a few -short- weeks. (Big reason is she will be going in the garage, and I need to get that space ready...big project and determined, but my time slot isn't now!!) :(

PS I tried to send you a message through the other forum/site and was not allowed to do so. (I am not sure if that option is on this site).
    dinob661-

Yes I have been chatting with a internet sales manager, Stayci. I would call and ask for her. She has been pretty nice. This quote was given to me this last Friday, so just 3 days ago.

I don't know if you should mention that it was on here, but you could say your friend Florence (my first name) recommended her and was quoted this deal. (At least that is what I would do anyways lol...)
    Oh and Spreen seems to have some decent reviews here and on the web.

Just be sure and heed Bill's advice from post #31894 about if they try to add any extras (you can type that number in the search box and read that post).

Florence
  • kriptonickriptonic Member Posts: 4
    Currently sitting on an offer from a local dealership here in southern California, stepped out to get lunch and go over the numbers. So far this is what I got please let me know what you guys think if It's a good deal or just walk.

Cash Price (Includes destination charge) 26,150
    Flex Incentive -500
    Doc Fee 80
    lic/smog 270
    DMV 29
    CA Tire 8.75

So at the end the actual car price is $25,650, may I add I was "originally" for 4.9 APR 60 months with a 744 credit after I passed it was quickly dropped to 1.90 to Honda Financials. All in all this is my first car buying experience I'd appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance
    I have a question that could clarify some things for future buyers...when I purchased my car, on the invoice was a $790 DELIVERY fee. That is the fee that the consumer pays to get the car from manufacturing plant to the dealership and it is USUALLY included in the price of the vehicle, and it is not negotiable. When I initially began the search for my car, one dealership said that since they didn't have the color and trim level I wanted, they would find it at another dealership and asked me to pay a $300 DESTINATION fee? This is a fee that I would assume is negotiable. I told them I would not pay this fee and wound up buying my car from the dealership they were probably going to get it from in the first place...20 minutes down the road...$300, uh...no! Do I have the terms right or am I the one confused?
    That's about 1000 below invoice including the flex - not a bad deal but not great - if you don't need the car today, I would tell them your target is 25000 including the flex and 1.9% for 60 months - if they can't do that, tell them you'll sleep on it and let them know in the next few days.

What dealer is it?

Bill G
    You can't send me a PM on that site since that guy banned me....my old posts are still there like ghosts from the past but under my name it says "Banned" so unceremoniously. Like I am one of those guys on the posters in the post office or something :)

I'm not sure if this site has a PM function or not
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    I'm not sure if this site has a PM function or not

Nope, it doesn't.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited November 2013
    FYI the offer I received from Spreen Honda this past Friday on the EX-L was $24,919 including destination, no incentives included.

Spreen Honda is a So-Cal dealership. See if they (your dealership) will match it....if not try negotiating with other ones, or Spreen if it is close enough to you. Staysi was the internet sales person.

Florence
  • jaycyn94jaycyn94 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking and calling around the Dallas area to see if dealers have the hybrid in stock. It looks like each dealer around here was sent 1, with more to trickle in. One of the salesmen I emailed told me that he didn't expect Honda to mass produce the hybrid and they would be constantly hard to find at dealers, and special order turnaround was 45-60 days. They also seem firm on the MSRP price (not that surprising with a new model).

Has anyone else heard that Honda would not be making many of the hybrids? Is 45-60 days really the turnaround for ordering?

Jason
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    capegirl,

It's the DEALERS that pay that 790.00 Destination Charge. they simply pass it along to the buyers.
    But I think his question was about a dealer trade. Do the dealers pay any fee to trade cars with each other? If NOT, then it is a bit ingenuous to charge the customer another $300 additional charge for it. If there is a fee, it would be fair to pass along the fee, without markup, to the customer (although in most cases I'd think its better for the customer to just seek out the dealers that actually have the car in stock and try to get their deals there)
  • schidschid Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    In the Houston, Texas area following is the best offer I have got so far. Does it seem like a deal, particularly on the base price. Would the Destination fee be same for all dealers, as some of them quoted $790, while this dealer quoted $830.

Base - $25600
    Destination Fee - $830
    Dealer Add Ons - $499 (Includes lifetime free oil change, window tint, Nitrogen in Tires, Diamon Fusion, Data Theft Protection, Wheel locks, trunk tray, splash guards. Paint and Fabric protection for 12 months)

TTL - $2090
    Total - $29019.

I have my own financing at 1.9% APR, which is same as what they are able to offer through the dealership.

Thanks for the input.
    Can you get 500 flex cash there if you finance thru Honda?

That list of options seems somewhat dubious. Data theft protection? What for? What is Diamond Fusion? And guys, take in a deep breath. You just breathed in 78pct nitrogen. It's called air :)

I'm not sure if your honda market in Houston is the same as the Toyota market. I know down there is a very strong private Toyota distributor who loads up all the cars with junk and makes it very hard to avoid getting options. Is honda the same? If NOT then remember that options are often negotiable and if you don't want to pay for them don't feel forced to.
    All dealerships here have add ons, some less than others. I have to ask about flex cash. Thanks for the input. Does the base price of $25600 seems like a good deal? If i am able to negotiate my way lower on the add ons.
    edited November 2013
    Hogan,

One dealer was going to charge me an extra $100 to locate the car in the color I wanted. I was able to convince them to waive that fee. At the time, I did not know what dealership the car was coming from (I did not ask and I am sure they would not have told me). When the car arrived, I could see the sticker on the window with the name of the dealership it came from. The interesting part of all this is that I had received a quote from that dealership, but their price was much higher than the dealership I was buying from.

At the end of the day, it all worked out for me but buyers should always negotiate and tell dealers that they do not want to pay extra fees to locate a car for them.
    edited November 2013
    To my knowledge, the destination fee is set by Honda and not by the dealership. For Honda accords, it should be $790.

You can navigate to Honda's website at http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/build-price/models.aspx to build your Accord. After selecting the 2014 accord EX-L, if you take a look at the fine print you will notice:"... Includes $790.00 destination charge..."

Let me review the sales quote you received.
    Total price of the car = $25,600 + $830 = $26,430.
    Invoice price on this car is $26,650 (including the $790 destination fee).

Hence, your current deal is only $220 below invoice. That's a big rip off. I will walk away from this dealer since you are being overcharged for the price of the car and the destination fee.

I do agree that the price of some of the add-ons you have listed are outrageous. What are some of the accessories you really want on the car?

My advice would be to reach out to other dealers for a better price.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    edited November 2013
    Do the dealers pay any fee to trade cars with each other?

I think it depends on the dealers involved. If a dealer does a trade with another dealer, the first dealer will not collect holdback from the manufacturer on the car in question, so the first dealer may charge the second dealer the holdback amount as compensation.

EDIT - there may also be a transportation fee charged to bring the car from Dealer A to Dealer B which may be passed on to the customer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    OK, I missed that part.

Our store did a lot of dealer trades and we never charged those costs to the customer. Of course, we had to pay a driver a fee which varied depending on distance.

We also insisted on doing a fresh PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) since we were liable and couldn't depend on the other store doing everything right.

So, there were costs involved. On a lousy profit deal, the costs of doing a trade could very well wipe out any profits.
    I agree it's not a great price. As posted above, I just got over $1500 off invoice on a V6 (500 of which was the Honda flexcash, but the net was still $1000 under invoice). I'd think you should try for at least another 500 lower than your current quote.

Have you gone in thru the INTERNET side of these dealers? I found that was the best way to get to pretty sharp pricing WITHOUT all the BS. And as I gave in my sob story above, the ONE dealer where I did work with a regular "sales floor guy" was the one that jerked me around and welched on their deal. And I was trying to be nice to that dealership since that is where I test drove several models, so I sort of gave them the "last look" and then ended up regretting it since I had to walk out and re-do the buying at a second dealer. The place where I did ultimately buy, my contact was the internet guy and he was quick and painless once I got there in pulling up all the paperwork, getting me in and out of finance, etc. Try to stay above the fray and work with the back-room internet guys if you can, as I think the floor guys don't really have any pricing authority so there seems to be much more risk that they haven't actually gotten your deal "approved" by the manager even if they lead you to believe that they have on the phone.
    Hogan,

I am assuming this reply was meant for schid.
    Thanks to the input from everyone on the forum, I was able to negotiate a better deal from another dealer. What i currently have is:

Price including Destination Fee and $500 Flex Cash = $25201
    Add Ons - $299 (Tint + Honda Propack)
    TTL - $1957
    Total Drive Out - $27457

The base price is $1450 below invoice.
    YAY!!! :D
  • crazeeceecrazeecee Member Posts: 13
    I had a question regarding $500 graduate cash. I had graduated around 4 years back. But my fiance graduated this year. My question is how can I get this cash? Will my fiance have to be a co-owner or something?
    Congrats on your purchase.

BTW, how much were your dealer doc fees?
    edited November 2013
    You can read more about the Honda graduate program here: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/college-grad-program.

It appears that your fiancé would have to be the primary owner of the car (Don't quote me on this, but I would recommend calling Honda financial services or contacting a participating dealer).

Here are the requirements:

•5% minimum down payment
    •Verifiable proof of employment or firm commitment from an employer with start date no more than 120 days from date of finance contract
    •Graduated in past two years or will graduate in next four months
    •No adverse credit history
    •Master’s, bachelor’s or associate degree from U.S.-accredited college or registered nursing school
    •Provide Honda dealer with credit and document requirements
    The doc fees were $189
    That's not bad at all. Enjoy the ride.

I love my 2013 EX-L. The heated seats come in handy here in MA. I wished Honda also had a heated steering wheel :)
  • brainage2brainage2 Member Posts: 24
    Hi All

I am looking for an EX-L 4 Cylinder in NJ. I tried Penfed Car buying services which in turn uses the Truecar pricing. The Pricing i got is 26,650.

Is it a good price? Any dealer suggestion in NJ / Philadelphia area?

regards
    Brainage2
    edited November 2013
    No, it is not a good price. $26,650 is the invoice price of the car.
    Reach out to dealerships on your own. You should be getting anywhere between $500 to $1000 below invoice price (without any incentives) on 2014 models.

There is a lot of advice on this forum on how to reach out to internet sales managers and negotiate a good deal. When were you looking to buy? Within the next few days or next few weeks? If you are ready to buy soon, you should email/call dealerships and ask for the internet sales manager or sales manager and tell them you will BUY TODAY for $XXX below invoice.

Hope that helps.
  • brainage2brainage2 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the advice. I am planning to buy in the next couple weeks. I sure will read the earlier posts.

Is there anyone out there in NJ looking to buy. Please share your experience with the dealerships and pricing. It will help me.

regards
    Brainage2